Spring game.

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Carcassdragger

Spring game.

Post by Carcassdragger »

Awful quiet in here after the debut of so many new players.

Was anybody at the game?

Some elsewhere have said Fifita looked like the best QB. I'm a little surprised at this. Concur?

Other impressions? How did our D line look?

Special teams and kickers?
2020 BEARDOWN WILDCATS RAP Champion
2018 BEARDOWN WILDCATS SURVIVAL POOL Champion
2017 BEARDOWN WILDCATS RAP Champion
2013 GOAZCATS SURVIVAL POOL Champion
azcat49

Re: Spring game.

Post by azcat49 »

My impressions from watching the game three times.

Fafita has the best arm and is the most accurate. Whenever he steps in we will be more than fine.

I thought McCloud looked really good except for his pick 6 where he threw behind the receiver who slipped trying to turn back for the ball.

Burnett caught a TD pass and it was nice to see a TE targeted in the red zone. TMac added great size but I really like AJ Jones who caught a backside shoulder throw for a TD from Fafita.

Cowing was open all day as the backs had a hard time staying up with him. Green is also a guy who will make plays. He ran a reverse and if he hadn’t tripped on Morgan who was blocking for him he might might have scored.

I thought the offensive line looked very good. The big Hawaiian kid started and looked the part of a D1 guy.

On defense, Hunter Echols was in the backfield a lot. He will be a big force. I like what I saw from Kolbe Cage. He was a lot faster and quicker than I thought he was. Harris (Jalen) played well but you would expect that of a 6 year guy. Thought Stukes was solid and gave up one catch against Singer who went up and got the throw. Our WR’s are good BTW
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
tgrumpy2

Post by tgrumpy2 »

I also thought Fafita looked the best of all the QBs. Very accurate with a nice touch. De Laura does have some amazing instincts but I can see why Fisch isn't willing to name De Laura as the starter just yet. The upgraded receiver corps I think is everything its been cracked up to be. Some of it is difficult to get a handle on with the defense because they played straight up with no stunts and QBs were protected. I think the O line depends on staying healthy and if they do they're going to be okay. I think most D1 schools would love to have our problem with running backs as in how do you get time for all of them. I think in the long run Coleman is going to be the man and Speedy Luke isn't even here yet. I think Speedy not showing up early has relegated him to redshirting this year. I know its a ton better than last year so we'll see when the season starts what a ton is worth in the way of winds
TheCatInTheHat

Post by TheCatInTheHat »

Went to the game, non-stop DJ and all. Fifita is amazing, but he is noticeably the smallest of the three probably in the running (I'm not counting Cruz), and de Laura has a full year of experience that proves he can get it done against top Pac-12 defenses. Barring injury, I'd be very surprised if he's not our QB, at least initially. Meanwhile, Green has some wheels on returns, but we've all seen video on Luke. If he's as much of a game-changer as he appears to be, I'd think they'd be willing to burn a year to get some mileage out of him running the ball back, if nothing else. The really, really nice thing is that, after all the years of watching the Bobby Wades of the world targeted by other teams trying to knock out our main return guy, as well as the RichRod/Tate multiple injury bug at QB, it's nice to have so many options. Fine, accept your 15-yards trying to do your worst. After whatever happens, for us it's next man up, and we've got some guys. We've got our depth problems in some positions, but it looks to me that we're okay at the very injury-sensitive positions of QB and return man.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »