7 Jayden de Laura

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

pc in NM

Re: 7 Jayden de Laura

Post by pc in NM »

Merkin wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 8:28 am
pc in NM wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 8:09 am IMNSHO, this will more likely aggravate the situation rather than work towards resolution...
I agree with you PC, can't see how this helps. Not like people trust lawyers.

Since the victim's name is known, if her attorneys and his attorneys agree, they can put a request in have a court order unseal the records. Not sure why she would do that though unless he really did plead guilty, and this statement by the lawyer is an outright lie, but obviously then he would not agree.
Merk, thinking of a "forward-looking" resolution, I could see a scenario where he would acknowledge that he did the horrible thing when he was young, immediately felt remorse and did apologize to her (text), that he was/is ashamed to have done such a thing and has tremendous remorse for how he impacted her, her family, friends and the community.

He could then say how he agreed to an out-of-court settlement, in part so she could avoid having the go through a court, and likely, public ordeal. He could address how he has addressed this behavior (however he might have - therapy, volunteering, donations, etc); and he could address how he has been a model citizen - both on and off campus - for the past 3+ years.

Maybe even consent to a news conference??

If something along these lines occurred, I could easily support his continued enrollmeent and team membership at the U of A.

I have done some shitty things in my past (never a violent felony, though!!), and when I try to imagine a) how I might try to get beyond such a thing, or b) how I might deal with a friend who acknowledged having done such a thing in the past, something along these lines comes to mind...

As a therapist, I have counseled some people who have done some really horrible things to others, and tried to assist their personal recovery, and social rehabilitation in their lives. The facts are that some such individuals do have genuine remorse, really were horrible people then, and, in fact, still live in our communities. I really know no specifics about de Laura, but allow for the fact that he could be one of those who do become good citizens moving forward...
“If you have the choice between humble and cocky, go with cocky. There's always time to be humble later, once you've been proven horrendously, irrevocably wrong.”

― Kinky Friedman
AzCatFan2

Post by AzCatFan2 »

I'm not a lawyer, but have a few in the family. As the saying goes, everyone hates lawyers...until they need one. JDL's lawyers statement helps shed some more light on the truth. If I'm reading the statement right, JDL and Latu were charged with a felony assault, but that's not the crime they plead guilty to. In fact, they likely plead down to a misdemeanor, which explains why not only there was no jail time, but the entire punishment was nothing more than an apology letter.

Why Latu and JDL settled is open to speculation. But we know the burden of proof in a civil case is a lot less stringent, and with JDL's apology text, guilty plea, and apology letter, JDL winning the civil case was always in doubt. Likely easier, and less costly to settle while admitting zero guilt.

If we are to judge JDL, we are doing so with insufficient facts. And facts that will likely remain sealed forever. And since JDL has hit adulthood, his record consists of a DUI arrest in which he was later cleared of all charges. To kick him off the team because he settled a civil suit based on a juvenile court case where we don't know what he plead guilty to seems to me very unfair to JDL.
CardiacCats97

Post by CardiacCats97 »

AzCatFan2 wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 9:40 am To kick him off the team because he settled a civil suit based on a juvenile court case where we don't know what he plead guilty to seems to me very unfair to JDL.
Obviously you don’t have to worry about that.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

NVM
Last edited by Merkin on Mon Jul 24, 2023 9:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Carcassdragger

Post by Carcassdragger »

AzCatFan2 wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 9:40 am I'm not a lawyer, but have a few in the family. As the saying goes, everyone hates lawyers...until they need one. JDL's lawyers statement helps shed some more light on the truth. If I'm reading the statement right, JDL and Latu were charged with a felony assault, but that's not the crime they plead guilty to. In fact, they likely plead down to a misdemeanor, which explains why not only there was no jail time, but the entire punishment was nothing more than an apology letter.

Why Latu and JDL settled is open to speculation. But we know the burden of proof in a civil case is a lot less stringent, and with JDL's apology text, guilty plea, and apology letter, JDL winning the civil case was always in doubt. Likely easier, and less costly to settle while admitting zero guilt.

If we are to judge JDL, we are doing so with insufficient facts. And facts that will likely remain sealed forever. And since JDL has hit adulthood, his record consists of a DUI arrest in which he was later cleared of all charges. To kick him off the team because he settled a civil suit based on a juvenile court case where we don't know what he plead guilty to seems to me very unfair to JDL.

Ding ding ding. Now let's move on.
2020 BEARDOWN WILDCATS RAP Champion
2018 BEARDOWN WILDCATS SURVIVAL POOL Champion
2017 BEARDOWN WILDCATS RAP Champion
2013 GOAZCATS SURVIVAL POOL Champion
AZCatGirl

Post by AZCatGirl »

People were moving on until the attorney released that inflammatory statement. Maybe he should just keep his mouth shut if he doesn't have any actual evidence.
“The reality is that the hardest games to win are over teams on their home court. Teams that don’t play those games can spin it however they want, but what they’re saying is, ‘We don’t want to lose in our non conference season.’" - Sean Miller
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

NVM
GlobalCat

Post by GlobalCat »

Pathetic by Fisch
wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

What’s he supposed to say??

Seriously. He or anyone hasn’t seen the court docs and he doesn’t know anything about it.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

NVM
wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

His case got diversion (I think that’s what it’s called) like many juvie cases do, so there’s no record of it if he follows the rules. He did and there’s no record to flip out about.

I’d be really upset if I knew the details, but I don’t. So I’m not upset about it.
tgrumpy2

Post by tgrumpy2 »

Merkin wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2023 5:33 pm Obviously he has read all the newspaper accounts of the case. He knows more about it than us, and yet has nothing to say. You don't think he talked to JDL about it?

Don't recall too many people saying it never happened. I get supporting your players, but we are not ASU. Actions have consequences.

This is just really upsetting to me. Don't care if other fans don't care, but I do. I have sisters, and I have a daughter, and this is just unforgiveable.
I think you can rest assured that Jayden isn't going to assault your sisters or your daughter and you're just like everyone else, you know nothing about the case.Tell me what's unforgiveable? These records are sealed and if Fisch tells everything he's the one that's breaking the law. No one is saying nothing happened but evidently he was not found guilty. I would suggest you stop the virtue signaling and chill.
tgrumpy2

Post by tgrumpy2 »

GlobalCat wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2023 1:43 pm Pathetic by Fisch
Tell us all what's pathetic. The records are sealed and even if he does know he isn't allowed to comment.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

NVM
Last edited by Merkin on Mon Jul 24, 2023 9:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CardiacCats97

Post by CardiacCats97 »

tgrumpy2 wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2023 6:11 pm I think you can rest assured that Jayden isn't going to assault your sisters or your daughter
Might want to run that by Jayden’s victim’s family for confirmation.
AZCatGirl

Post by AZCatGirl »

Never plead guilty nor not found guilty doesn't mean he's innocent. But that and his tears is enough for people I guess.
“The reality is that the hardest games to win are over teams on their home court. Teams that don’t play those games can spin it however they want, but what they’re saying is, ‘We don’t want to lose in our non conference season.’" - Sean Miller
Carcassdragger

Post by Carcassdragger »

There are a million variables that could apply-especially since they were kids.

Think of the most direct and easiest scenario- that could've happened. Now think of the most wildly impossible crazy scenario-that couldve happened. Now think of literally ANY scenario in between- that could've happened.

For me it's way too easy just to join in the witch hunt when we in fact know almost nothing about what actually happened.
tgrumpy2

Post by tgrumpy2 »

Merkin wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2023 6:51 pm When was he found not guilty? Tell me you know nothing about this case without saying you know nothing.

The DA declined to prosecute due to the delay in the victim reporting the incident.

The civil court records are not sealed. JDL wrote a letter of apology and agreed to pay damages.

Not guilty? Please.

The victim has been named.

But you keep supporting a rapist, I'm done with this.

My last comment on this case.
What did he apologize for? Did he cop a feel without permission? Maybe she consented to sex but he wanted a different position? You have no idea what happened. I'm guessing had this been a strong case the state of Hawaii would have prosecuted. I believe he was 17 when this happened and you're a bit to anxious to toss a 17 year old under the bus when you have no idea what happened.
tgrumpy2

Post by tgrumpy2 »

AZCatGirl wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2023 9:42 pm Never plead guilty nor not found guilty doesn't mean he's innocent. But that and his tears is enough for people I guess.
Oh my Gosh, he was accused of something. We must destroy him and anyone that sticks up for him regardless of whether we know what happened or not.
pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

There's no credible way to doubt that his skill and value to the team totally color the response from the U of A admin, coaches and fans to this situation.

If he were third or fourth on the depth chart, he'd have been gone before anyone even knew the limited available facts of the situation.

All we heard this week is lawyer-speak, which can only sound insincere, regardless of the delivery...

So, how many athletes get high quality legal counsel as a NIL benefit???
“If you have the choice between humble and cocky, go with cocky. There's always time to be humble later, once you've been proven horrendously, irrevocably wrong.”

― Kinky Friedman
TheCatInTheHat

Post by TheCatInTheHat »

Carcassdragger wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2023 10:05 pm For me it's way too easy just to join in the witch hunt when we in fact know almost nothing about what actually happened.
Agree
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

NVM
mofo

Post by mofo »

Carcassdragger wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2023 10:05 pm For me it's way too easy just to join in the witch hunt when we in fact know almost nothing about what actually happened.
The only way to solve this once and for all it seems, is to hold JDL underwater and see if he drowns or not.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

NVM
AzCatFan2

Post by AzCatFan2 »

Nothing has changed about this case. The facts are what actually happened will remain hidden behind Juvenile court records. And while there is no gag law on the legal case, it wouldn't shock me to find there was one added to the civil suit settlement. Likely to protect both parties. JDL has pro football aspirations, and he wants to put this all behind him. There may also be some facts the accusing party wishes to remain in the past as well about her behavior. We have her side of the story, but we never got JDL's defense, so it's just speculation. Regardless, he said/she said cases are never pretty, and again, both sides likely agreed to a gag as part of the civil suit.

Like it or not, the Juvie court system is set up to give kids a second chance, and allow them to have a clean slate once they turn adults. With the nature of certain crimes, sexual assault being one, the court system can choose to try people under 18 as adults. The fact that JDL was not tried as an adult, and given a relative slap on the wrist as punishment likely means a conviction as an adult was highly improbable, and both the judge and prosecutor were satisfied with the level of punishment. That should be good enough for the rest of us.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

The optics are terrible no doubt but I guess it comes down to if you believe in our legal system. Seems like we have lots of judges and jurors here.

It seems that the Hawaiian authorities would have pressed further if they had a strong case but for whatever reason they didn’t move in that direction

He faced the charges and did what the court said to do. For me that ends this story.
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

NVM
tgrumpy2

Post by tgrumpy2 »

Merkin wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 9:32 am There are text messages, the report describes messages, in which de Laura admits that the two players had sexually assaulted her and he “eventually apologized.”

In any event, no star athlete has ever been treated differently in the criminal justice system that any kid from the 'hood committing the same crimes, have they? Especially those playing in the championship game which was the same night the assault happened. Not that would be embarrassing to Hawaii high school sports since all everyone cares about is justice.

Can you post the text messages so we can see them? The earlier Civil court account you posted was not from the original court records of the case. It was her account of what happened and what she is basing the law suit on. Do you think she's gonna say Oh I'm sueing because nothing happened? Merkin I still think you're way to eager to throw someone under a bus for something we don't know the entire story on.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Agreed athletes get special treatment and like I said the optics are terrible but the authorities we have assume did their due diligence and opted not to try as an adult. I will not be his judge or juror so for me, I trust the system and move on
pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

azcat49 wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 10:14 am Agreed athletes get special treatment and like I said the optics are terrible but the authorities we have assume did their due diligence and opted not to try as an adult. I will not be his judge or juror so for me, I trust the system and move on
So, your position is that in such a case, the criminal justice outcome is the ONLY consideration?

And, the civil case outcome should not factor in ANY other considerations of his privileges or associations?

Think of the OJ Simpson cases, and how such a position would/should hold...

― Kinky Friedman
AzCatFan2

Post by AzCatFan2 »

pc in NM wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 10:20 am
azcat49 wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 10:14 am Agreed athletes get special treatment and like I said the optics are terrible but the authorities we have assume did their due diligence and opted not to try as an adult. I will not be his judge or juror so for me, I trust the system and move on
So, your position is that in such a case, the criminal justice outcome is the ONLY consideration?

And, the civil case outcome should not factor in ANY other considerations of his privileges or associations?

The OJ case is different. OJ was famous before his case. And the entire world saw the trial as it happened.

With JDL, he was the best QB in Hawaii, but outside the islands, only football recruiting experts knew who he was. His case was also handled in Juvenile Court, and nobody knows the details outside the the accuser, JDL and his co-defendant, the prosecutor, and the judge who saw the evidence.

OJ was also found guilty on the civil case. JDL was not. He decided to settle before things went to court. We'll never know if JDL could have beaten the rap and be found innocent in civil court. It's likely JDL's lawyers thought it wasn't even worth it to go to court, even if he thought the case was winnable. We've seen all the judges and jurors here finding JDL guilty based on just the accusation. JDL was likely to never win the case in the court of public opinion. Especially if the defense in a he said/she said case meant lobbying accusations towards the girl in question. Bad optics all around, and the truth can get lost in translation very easy.

Bottom line is the criminal case was adjudicated in Juvie Court with a wrist slap punishment, even though the prosecutor could have made a motion to try as an adult. And the civil case was settled, and JDL was never found guilty.

So what's the truth? We'll never know. The case will never see the inside of the court, and all parties are likely never to talk.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

NVM
Last edited by Merkin on Mon Jul 24, 2023 9:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AzCatFan2

Post by AzCatFan2 »

Merkin wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 12:42 pm
tgrumpy2 wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 9:41 am Can you post the text messages so we can see them?
AzCatFan2 wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 10:40 am OJ was also found guilty on the civil case. JDL was not.
Let's just stick to facts.

The victim laid out her case in the civil court case regarding the text messages. The victim also claimed that 2 the two perps agreed to admit to 2nd degree sexual assault with no time in juvie and they had to write a letter of apology.

JDL did not submit a response in the civil court case.

JDL paid off the victim in the civil court case.

The mother waited a month before reporting the assault to the police, making it much more difficult to prove.

Facts off.

Sure doesn't read like an innocent person to me.

You know what I have not heard from JDL? "I didn't do it".

He has only said "I just want to clear my name". Not sure how he can do that without talking about it.

I know the clock ticks for high school and college athletes, but if this had gone to civil trial it should not have taken more then 3 days max. The only witnesses were the 2 perps, the victim, and the mother afterwards. We don't know if the victim kept the actual text messages and apology letter, but if she did, that is pretty damning evidence, and JDL would have lost.

In civil court, you don't need an unanimous jury, and you only need a preponderance of evidence. There is no reasonable doubt in civil court. In criminal court, if you think someone did it, they are not guilty. You have to know they are guilty. In civil court, if you think someone did it, they are guilty.

AzCatFan2 wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 10:40 am Merkin I still think you're way to eager to throw someone under a bus for something we don't know the entire story on.
AzCatFan2, I think think you're way to eager to protect the most valuable player on the UA football team.

The only reason we don't know the whole story is that JDL refuses to talk about it.

The victim has already been publicly identified due to the civil court case.
You said, "Sure doesn't read like an innocent person to me." JDL was and is always going to be guilty in the court of public opinion. You just said it right here. You have very limited facts and JDL never had his day in court, neither criminal nor civil. It's likely he's guilty of something, but what we'll never know is does the very light punishment fit the crime?

We also don't know what JDL and his cohort's defense would be. If they claimed it started consensual, and she didn't have the best reputation, then it becomes the worst of he said/she said. And with no way to win the court of public opinion, and unlikely to get the girl to pay court courts, an agreement to settle the civil case was a no-brainer for JDL. And maybe a no-brainer for the girl as well? Again, we'll never know.

I've stated before this is about respecting our court system. The prosecutor and judge were both satisfied with the plea deal to keep the case in Juvie Court with minimal punishment. I'll respect their decision, and legally, JDL has a clean slate as an adult. I also said time and time again, I'd be fine with Fifita playing. JDL is a fine college QB, but his upside is likely UDA and practice squad on a NFL team. Just look at all the QBs in the PAC listed as better prospects this year alone! Fifita, on the other hand, has a much bigger upside, and I'd take losing a game or two this year with Fifita if it meant winning bigger starting next year.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

NVM
CardiacCats97

Post by CardiacCats97 »

It’s not worth arguing over. I just hope the lesson JDL learned is to never put himself or anyone else in any kind of remotely similar situation again, and not that he can get away with anything because he’s a star.
TheCatInTheHat

Post by TheCatInTheHat »

Merkin wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 1:50 pm Something we can both agree on, time for Fifita! JDL never developed all that much since his FOY play at WSU, and tends to try and make things happen instead of staying with Fisch's system.
Fifita's very good, no doubt. But having watched the Arizona media day segment with Fisch going on and on about the yardage improvement last year for a bunch of first-year guys in his system, their commitment and continuing improvement, and all of his supporting comments, there's zero doubt that JDL is his QB, and he's got two remaining years of eligibility. There's a reason he and defensive captain Stukes accompanied Fisch to Vegas. Sounds like they expect the O-line to be much improved, which should make a difference in pressures and broken plays. I'm sure Noah will continue to progress and get his feet wet, and they'll probably also run some special series for him to utilize the unique aspects of his skill set. But, barring injury, JDL's the starter, at least for this coming season.
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

Merkin wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 1:50 pm Something we can both agree on, time for Fifita! JDL never developed all that much since his FOY play at WSU, and tends to try and make things happen instead of staying with Fisch's system.
Huh what? He’s arguably our best player and led us to more wins last year than anyone expected. I cut him some slack on trying to force things as we had to outscore teams when you have a defense that guarantees giving up at least 35 points a game.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

As we all have learned a civil case has a much lower threshold prove guilt. As I understand this case, it never even got to trial and was settled out of court.

I agree it looks very suspicious but we will never know what actually happened. JDL seems sincere when he says he never plead guilty or was convicted. His attorneys say the same. Just don’t know how you dismiss our legal system in this instance?

I certainly understand anyone who is indifferent to the situation. I myself still wish we wouldn’t have brought the kid in from Alabama(Bradley)who played a part in the killing of that young lady.
wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

There was no outcome or findings in the civil case.

The young lady’s lawyers threw a bunch of spaghetti on the wall and some of it stuck. Enough to get a settlement.

Lawyers stretch the truth and sometimes flat out lie in their filings they swear are true. I’ve seen it in civil cases. That’s what they did and got some jack in a settlement they got a piece of.

So yeah, civil court cases don’t count.
pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

Here, I have to side with JDL

For JDL to even get out of last season alive was a tribute to his awesome skill. He had almost no protection at all, and on a majority of plays he had to improvise just to survive.

With a decent O-line, he could be very good!

― Kinky Friedman
pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

Here’s a thought experiment for you all

Your 18 YO daugther calls from her dorm at the U of A to share the exciting news that “the quarterback” from the team has asked her out for next weekend.

What are your first thoughts?

How do you respond?

― Kinky Friedman
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

NVM
BBQ wildcat

Post by BBQ wildcat »

So, is this now your "last comment on this case"?
Carcassdragger

Post by Carcassdragger »

For all you guys that have convicted JDL, I guess we'll see you after the season or in other sports threads.

Or

Since Arizona football has not likewise convicted him as you have done, are you out on Arizona football forever?
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

NVM
Last edited by Merkin on Mon Jul 24, 2023 9:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Merkin wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 5:14 pm
BBQ wildcat wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 4:46 pm So, is this now your "last comment on this case"?
Didn't expect you of all people to be an ass. Carcassdragger I expect it, same with AzCatFan2 who is legendary on the Conference Realignment thread, and Machina who excels at being an ass on all threads.

But in any event, I had to clear up all the false information being posted.
Hey I thought no attacks here because you aren't 12 Merk....
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

NVM
Last edited by Merkin on Mon Jul 24, 2023 9:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BBQ wildcat

Post by BBQ wildcat »

Merkin wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 5:14 pm
BBQ wildcat wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 4:46 pm So, is this now your "last comment on this case"?
Didn't expect you of all people to be an ass. Carcassdragger I expect it, same with AzCatFan2 who is legendary on the Conference Realignment thread, and Machina who excels at being an ass on all threads.

But in any event, I had to clear up all the false information being posted.
Not being an ass at all. It's just that you, on this thread, are being much like Machina and ACF2 on the CR thread. Everyone knows your point of view, so no need to keep beating it to death. Particularly since, several of your posts ago, you said it was your last comment.
wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

pc in NM wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 3:38 pm Here’s a thought experiment for you all

Your 18 YO daugther calls from her dorm at the U of A to share the exciting news that “the quarterback” from the team has asked her out for next weekend.

What are your first thoughts?

How do you respond?
Specifically JDL? He hasn’t done one thing in campus, but if he did, he’d be gone.

I’ve go two girls (and one son) at university. They’ve got the brains to stay away from an athlete. Too much drama.
Carcassdragger

Post by Carcassdragger »

Merk, I appreciate you deleted your post. I'm thinking you just are very frustrated as you were looking forward to the season as I am.

Of course we all would like for the representatives of our great university to be spotless in their past.

I'm hoping you can go ahead and be pissed that DeLaura is not suspended but still enjoy and support our program while continuing to participate here. I enjoy your posts

Regardless, I apologize for offending you here on this post and whatever others I did so on.