Monkey off the back?

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

BAREDOWN

Monkey off the back?

Post by BAREDOWN »

Obviously we aren't playing in the Rose Bowl, but with the configuration of the playoff system including the Rose Bowl it makes it impossible for any PAC team to represent in years like this unless they are in the top 4

10-3 and a South Championship gets us there in years prior. If the rotation was different this year and the Fiesta was a playoff, we are playing in Pasadena...

Obviously not the same as actually being there but...
azthrillhouse

Re: Monkey off the back?

Post by azthrillhouse »

It's all about conference championships.

We still don't have one in the PAC. The monkey persists, though we have loosened its grip.

(1993 co-champion does not register w/ me...you can go have that argument w/ Bob Bowlsby.)
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

which monkey are you talking about?

the Rose Bowl monkey is definitely NOT off the back.
Doesn't matter that now it's more difficult to get there due to CFP, fact is we've still never been.

The Fiesta bowl is no Rose Bowl
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

ALASKACAT

Post by ALASKACAT »

If the Rose Bowl was not part of the playoffs this year, would Boise State still be one of the opponents?
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

ALASKACAT wrote:If the Rose Bowl was not part of the playoffs this year, would Boise State still be one of the opponents?
No, it would have been Arizona vs. Michigan St. or Wisconsin I believe.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
dirtbags

Post by dirtbags »

BAREDOWN wrote:Obviously we aren't playing in the Rose Bowl, but with the configuration of the playoff system including the Rose Bowl it makes it impossible for any PAC team to represent in years like this unless they are in the top 4

10-3 and a South Championship gets us there in years prior. If the rotation was different this year and the Fiesta was a playoff, we are playing in Pasadena...

Obviously not the same as actually being there but...

no.
Gilbertcat

Post by Gilbertcat »

PieceOfMeat wrote: The Fiesta bowl is no Rose Bowl
Yeah but the Fiesta bowl has better seats to rest my back :D
UALoco

Post by UALoco »

Monkey is halfway off Arizona's back if they win the P12(this would have been the ticket to the Rose Bowl pre-CFP)
Completely off Arizona's back if they win the a CFP semifinal (which replaces the Rose Bowl in importance with the new rotating Bowl Structure)
And Sucking Arizona's c@(k of they win the NC. Who cares about the Rose Bowl when you can stick a big fat NC ring in a scummies face.

Ice Cold Dr. Pepper Here!!

~Larry Culpepper
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

azthrillhouse wrote:It's all about conference championships.

We still don't have one in the PAC. The monkey persists, though we have loosened its grip.

(1993 co-champion does not register w/ me...you can go have that argument w/ Bob Bowlsby.)
Agree 100%. It's not about going to the Rose Bowl, it's all about sole conference championships.

None in the PAC.

None in the WAC.

Last one was in the early 1940s Border Conference.
Carcassdragger

Post by Carcassdragger »

To the OP: No

This thread should die.
2020 BEARDOWN WILDCATS RAP Champion
2018 BEARDOWN WILDCATS SURVIVAL POOL Champion
2017 BEARDOWN WILDCATS RAP Champion
2013 GOAZCATS SURVIVAL POOL Champion
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Has anyone here actually had a monkey on their back?

I have. And it's not that bad.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

BAREDOWN wrote:Monkey off the back?
No, I'm still addicted to heroin, but thanks for asking.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

UAEebs86 wrote:
ALASKACAT wrote:If the Rose Bowl was not part of the playoffs this year, would Boise State still be one of the opponents?
No, it would have been Arizona vs. Michigan St. or Wisconsin I believe.
That is so fucking disappointing.

The thread sucks.
jimson

Post by jimson »

OP
Partially. It is a milestone. First outright championship in modern times, even though it's only the division, we are still officially the top team of something.

When we win the PAC12 outright, the monkey dies, whether it is a Rose bowl berth or not.
BAREDOWN

Post by BAREDOWN »

jimson wrote:OP
Partially. It is a milestone. First outright championship in modern times, even though it's only the division, we are still officially the top team of something.

When we win the PAC12 outright, the monkey dies, whether it is a Rose bowl berth or not.
This is pretty much what I was getting at. I didn't start the thread because I felt the "monkey was off the back". I agree, it is about winning the conference. We haven't done that. But we did win the South, and as Jim said that does mean something.

Basically just started this after reading a few posts on DD (don't know why I subject myself to that) and all those jack balls kept saying "still haven't been to a Rose Bowl" after our Fiesta birth. Being in PHX, I hear that all the time. Even the fat women at my work who know nothing about football and just happened to go to asu say it. And it drives me crazy.

If the rotation was different that BS would stop. Pretty much what I was getting at.

Either way. Screw asu
Bear down
ALASKACAT

Post by ALASKACAT »

BAREDOWN wrote:

This is pretty much what I was getting at. I didn't start the thread because I felt the "monkey was off the back". I agree, it is about winning the conference. We haven't done that. But we did win the South, and as Jim said that does mean something.

Basically just started this after reading a few posts on DD (don't know why I subject myself to that) and all those jack balls kept saying "still haven't been to a Rose Bowl" after our Fiesta birth. Being in PHX, I hear that all the time. Even the fat women at my work who know nothing about football and just happened to go to asu say it. And it drives me crazy.

If the rotation was different that BS would stop. Pretty much what I was getting at.

Either way. Screw asu
Bear down
No it wouldn't. They would say, "yeh you went to the Rose Bowl," but you got there by default because the Pac 12 champ went elsewhere." If we would of gone in 1998, the same thing would of resulted. "yeh you are going to the Rose Bowl, but only because UCLA is in the national title game."
cats101

Post by cats101 »

BAREDOWN wrote:

Either way. Screw asu
Bear down
Yeah I noticed scum fans ditched this for a while but after the 10-2 season they've brought it back. It's literally all they have to hold on to.