New Media and College Football

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

ANGCatFan

New Media and College Football

Post by ANGCatFan »

New staff, new season, and so here's a totally updated list as of 24 Aug 2018.

Podcasts:
Wildcat Radio
Wildcat Country (Currently inactive)
The EraZona Podcast
Wildcat Authority Podcast (They post infrequently, but always great)
The Wild Cast (by the Daily Star available on itunes, but no independent link)
SEC on CBS Podcast
ESPN U College Football
Solid Verbal
The College Football Podcast
Athlon Sports Cover 2 CFB Podcast
College Football Live Podcast
Podcast Ain't Played Nobody

Twitter
@ArizonaFBall
@AZATHLETICS
@AGWildcatReport
@WSRBrad
@javiermorales
@jason247scout
@codyjamesmartin
@jasonscheer
@wsrarizona
@ryan_finley
@MattGOAZCATS
@AZAuthority
@Jasonbartel
@SteveRivera95
@danielheck
@Gabe_Encinas
@MichaelJLev
@caitlincschmidt
@wildcatphotog
@cgboan
@RKelapire
@rbowron1856
@Dave_Heeke
@CoachSumlin
@CoachYatesAZ
@coach_meat
@TaylorMazzone1
@chuckcecil26
@CoachT_951
@CoachHoodAZ
@Bgjohnson84
@cderute
@AdamKhordaji
@DPintheDesert
@AZDesertSwarm
@BearDownForums (Barely post, but it is us so what the hell)
@WildcatSN

Free Message Boards and sites (I would recommend):
BearDownWildcats.com
SB Nation, Arizona Desert Storm
UA Sports, Arizona Football Online
Wildcat Authority (Scout)
Bleacher Report
All Sports Tucson
PAC 12
The Arizona Republic
KOLD13 Tucson News Now
CollegeSports-fans.com list of message boards for all schools
Arizona Mavens with Gimino and Rivera

What sources am I missing? Would love to find some new, good sources for Wildcat football news.
Last edited by ANGCatFan on Tue Sep 04, 2018 8:45 pm, edited 28 times in total.
CalStateTempe

Re: New Media and College Football

Post by CalStateTempe »

this needs to be sticky'd
BearDown89

Post by BearDown89 »

CalStateTempe wrote:this needs to be sticky'd
Seconded.

Good list Ang, thanks. I didn't have some of those.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

good list. in the offseason i just casually browse stuff like collegefootballnews, bleacher report and espn for their little blogs and articles. maybe pickup the athlon or phil steele magazine. i don't really do the twitter or podcast thing.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
Folesfor10K

Post by Folesfor10K »

I say this only half jokingly that you may want to add devils digest to the list. 4 out of every 5 new threads over there are about us...and sadly there's is often more discussion there than there is on any of our boards...
Why is fast food healthy? Why do skinny people have SLOW metabolisms? Check out my nutrition blog for a fresh, new perspective on nutrition.

My two favorite teams:
1. U of A
2. Whoever plays ASU this week
jollything

Post by jollything »

During the season I end up getting a lot of my news from either Twitter ( I follow a lot of CFB accounts, I could put some up here if anyone wanted me to) or from reddit.com/r/CFB

/r/CFB is a good community, although it has a very small contingent of Arizona fans at the moment.

For Arizona news on twitter follow @DSBerk, when you see an #OnToTheNextOne Daniel is usually the first with the info.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Great stuff Ang, keep it coming
Last edited by azcat49 on Sat Nov 22, 2014 8:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

ANGCatFan wrote:
Twitter (I'd consider these some of the must follows for AZ football)
@Scott_Terrell
@DSBerk
@ArizonaFBall
@TracyGOAZCATS
@AZ_Matty_D
@AZATHLETICS
@Greg_Byrne
@CoachRodAZ (He rarely posts and it is always PR, but he is the coach)
@AGWildcatReport
@WSRBrad
Good stuff ang-we should have a similar thread for hoops.

Here's a few more:

@javiermorales
@zackblatt
@jason247scout
@codyjamesmartin
@jasonscheer
@wsrarizona
@ryan_finley

For fun:
@fakerichrod
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
azpenguin

Post by azpenguin »

jollything wrote:During the season I end up getting a lot of my news from either Twitter ( I follow a lot of CFB accounts, I could put some up here if anyone wanted me to) or from reddit.com/r/CFB

/r/CFB is a good community, although it has a very small contingent of Arizona fans at the moment.

For Arizona news on twitter follow @DSBerk, when you see an #OnToTheNextOne Daniel is usually the first with the info.
r/cfb on reddit is one of my more visited sites. As mentioned, there's not a lot of Cat fans there. But there's a lot of PAC-12 fans there and it can be a good source of info at times. Plus it's just a good community and a fun place.
ANGCatFan

Post by ANGCatFan »

I didn't add reddit to the original post because of the lack of Wildcat info. It is a very active college football discussion site, but not a great place right now to find Arizona Wildcat info.
VonZip

Post by VonZip »

Another couple of hours just flashed before my eyes!
ANGCatFan

Post by ANGCatFan »

Anthony Gimino @AGWildcatReport
An update: I'll be joining http://FoxSportsArizona.com as a part-time editor. Byline could appear, too. Other things in works. Stay tuned.
When you hire Gimino you became an important source for Wildcat news.
ANGCatFan

Post by ANGCatFan »

AZ Daily Star online is going behind a paywall. I devour local sports coverage and I will be reluctant to pay for info I can get from "free" sources. Thanks to B_dog from Afo for pointing this out since I haven't seen the Star say anything about this.
prh

Post by prh »

ANGCatFan wrote:AZ Daily Star online is going behind a paywall. I devour local sports coverage and I will be reluctant to pay for info I can get from "free" sources. Thanks to B_dog from Afo for pointing this out since I haven't seen the Star say anything about this.
I've worked around this with MTStandard.com before, all I needed to do was disable javascript for the site. I lost the ability to watch videos, but that was ok. This reddit has better (but outdated) instructions that will work better. The domain names to block have changed, but we can figure those out once ADS goes behind the paywall.
azthrillhouse

Post by azthrillhouse »

prh wrote:
ANGCatFan wrote:AZ Daily Star online is going behind a paywall. I devour local sports coverage and I will be reluctant to pay for info I can get from "free" sources. Thanks to B_dog from Afo for pointing this out since I haven't seen the Star say anything about this.
I've worked around this with MTStandard.com before, all I needed to do was disable javascript for the site. I lost the ability to watch videos, but that was ok. This reddit has better (but outdated) instructions that will work better. The domain names to block have changed, but we can figure those out once ADS goes behind the paywall.
Dumb. When the Republic went behind a paywall it was stupid-easy to get around it, and at some point they abandoned it.

I have some sympathy for the plight of news organizations as we have too few of them (at least, too few good ones), which isn't good for us as a democracy. However, if you're going to do it, do it right.

I like reading the Daily Star sports writers for the most part, but I don't value that so much that I'm going to pay for it. They're overvaluing their product. If they did something creative like saying "hey, here comes our new paywall, and with that subscription you'll get additional new content (like, for UofA sports, announce that they are bringing Gimino or Scheer etc on board as part of the paywall), then it could work.
Sage&Silver

Post by Sage&Silver »

Couldn't come at a worse time.

AZCentral.com for years was just a place for celebrity gossip and nightclub listings. But in the past year, they've transformed into a real news site.. and free. As far as sports go, they've got Gimino for all the "stories". As for the daily tidbits, we mostly get all that from alternate sites anyway.
ANGCatFan

Post by ANGCatFan »

The ESPN U College Football podcast is doing interviews with all of the big conference coaches except Gundy from OSU. Great series of interviews which talk about a lot of college football issues. Coach Rod's was one of the least interesting for me since I've heard all those answers from him before.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

ANGCatFan wrote:The ESPN U College Football podcast is doing interviews with all of the big conference coaches except Gundy from OSU. Great series of interviews which talk about a lot of college football issues. Coach Rod's was one of the least interesting for me since I've heard all those answers from him before.
Is it because he's a man?
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

azgreg wrote:
ANGCatFan wrote:The ESPN U College Football podcast is doing interviews with all of the big conference coaches except Gundy from OSU. Great series of interviews which talk about a lot of college football issues. Coach Rod's was one of the least interesting for me since I've heard all those answers from him before.
Is it because he's a man?
He's 40 - come after him. And he doesn't read the newspaper because it's garbage.
-JB
ANGCatFan

Post by ANGCatFan »

The Wildcat Radio Podcast is now going to be affiliated with SB Nation, Arizona Desert Storm. Should be a good partnership for both and I hope it is a sign that we will see more Arizona focused pod casts. If you haven't done it, give Wildcat Radio a listen. They are in the middle of a good series breaking down all the conference teams.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Is it true that Byrne is looking to generate new revenue via apparel sales by marketing/situating Arizona Wildcat Football as "Mexico's College Football Team," and moving the spring game down to Estadio Sonora in Hermosillo? In Tucson, nobody would even be aware of the huge marketing campaign, which will focus principally on Sonora.
Kiyama

Post by Kiyama »

Never heard of this... but American Football is gaining more popularity.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

I recall a real article several years ago that Mexicans in southern Arizona might be interested in Arizona football since the head coach is a "Rodriguez".

Of course RR's heritage is Spanish, as his grandfather emigrated from Spain. Nothing Latino about RR.
Kiyama

Post by Kiyama »

People from Spain are still considered Latinos by other Latinos... just in the US they are considered "Caucasian" (European decent). Heck I like RR because he has some Spanish blood.... as do most countries that were enslaved and colonized by the Spanish. :D
Sage&Silver

Post by Sage&Silver »

Longhorned being Longhorned aside, I am disappointed Larry Scott wants to expand the brand into Mexico ONLY AFTER securing a foothold in Asia. Seems like a policy custom built for UCLA, which already has a dozen or so apparel stores in China.

Can't we do both?
BearDown89

Post by BearDown89 »

ESPN's 2014 Pac-12 Football Preview on ESPNU at 9:00 p.m. 15 minutes.
ANGCatFan

Post by ANGCatFan »

Adding The College Football Podcast to the list based on a very solid PAC 12 north preview. South preview coming out shortly.
ANGCatFan

Post by ANGCatFan »

I didn't see this game preview by Fox Sports until after the game. Thought Jake Fischer was great with his analysis. They need to drop Matt and focus on Fischer. He gives clear, personal analysis and is better than 99% of the current pros in town ( Brian Jeffries is my one exception). Not sure what his day job is, but Jake should be doing Wildcat Football analysis for someone.
Sage&Silver

Post by Sage&Silver »

Florida grads and Everyday Should Be Saturday writers Spencer Hall @edsbs and his buddy/employee @celebrityhottub are solid CFB twitter feeds.

Spencer Hall ‏@edsbs 39s

We're up all night to the sun
I'm up all night to get some
Our coach is still pretty dumb
We went to OT with Kentucky
We went to OT to Kentu
MrMeow

Post by MrMeow »

ANGCatFan wrote:I didn't see this game preview by Fox Sports until after the game. Thought Jake Fischer was great with his analysis. They need to drop Matt and focus on Fischer. He gives clear, personal analysis and is better than 99% of the current pros in town ( Brian Jeffries is my one exception). Not sure what his day job is, but Jake should be doing Wildcat Football analysis for someone.
No question, Jake is really good. He should be doing commentary for a living (and may some day). Plus, if he was doing commentary for a living, perhaps his employer would spring for an individual mic so he doesn't sound like he's in some distant tunnel.
Gimino

Post by Gimino »

We keep telling Jake he should pursue broadcasting... He's back for more here with us for an Arizona-Oregon preview, explaining just why the Cats have been successful on D vs. the Ducks.

FoxSportsArizona.com: http://www.foxsports.com/arizona/story/ ... gon-120314
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

He absolutely should!
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
azthrillhouse

Post by azthrillhouse »

Sage&Silver wrote:Florida grads and Everyday Should Be Saturday writers Spencer Hall @edsbs and his buddy/employee @celebrityhottub are solid CFB twitter feeds.

Spencer Hall ‏@edsbs 39s

We're up all night to the sun
I'm up all night to get some
Our coach is still pretty dumb
We went to OT with Kentucky
We went to OT to Kentu
Just latched on to their podcast, Shutdown Fullcast - the blog is funny sometimes but the podcast is hysterical (at least the two episodes I've listened to).
http://www.everydayshouldbesaturday.com ... lcast-2-15
UAEebs86

How about some old media

Post by UAEebs86 »

:lol:

Dan Hicks had hair. Nice glasses Hansen. Lived in the same dorm as Todd Walsh - kind of a tool.
-JB
ANGCatFan

Post by ANGCatFan »

The Solid Verbal podcast is talking schemes this month and at least the first episode was one of the better off season podcast. Lots of discussion of the high tempo offenses makes it worthwhile for Arizona fans.
ANGCatFan

Post by ANGCatFan »

A couple of LA scout guys have started a new PAC12 centered football podcast. Not sure how well they will do with Arizona coverage, but I certainly want to encourage more PAC12 coverage.

Here is the link: Podcast of Champions
catgrad97

Re: How about some old media

Post by catgrad97 »

UAEebs86 wrote::lol:

Dan Hicks had hair. Nice glasses Hansen. Lived in the same dorm as Todd Walsh - kind of a tool.
My man Ron Somers on the left. Total good guy who I need to buy a beer if he's still around.

Hansen still was wearing those same glasses 10 years later btw.
ANGCatFan

Post by ANGCatFan »

Podcasts of Champions does their spring preview of Arizona and talk with Jason Scheer.
ANGCatFan

Post by ANGCatFan »

Great podcast for June. The College Football Podcast talks about the PAC 12 for 90 mins. Very Oregon centric and very little Arizona talk (most at the 10 min remaining point), but a good overview of conference. They bill it as a review of last year, but primarily talk about what to expect.
ANGCatFan

Post by ANGCatFan »

UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Does that mean he is working for Storey? (AKA Mao) Or is he paid by Rivals?
-JB
FightWildcatsFight

Post by FightWildcatsFight »

Does anyone know where I can get the full length 2015 Spring Game? It seems like every school has their's out there on YouTube but we only have highlights. And for some reason it's always difficult to find our full games online.
ANGCatFan

Post by ANGCatFan »

John Schuster at Tucson Weekly covers why Gimino and Riveria moved jobs plus changes in cable and espn problems.
When Fox Sports gutted its regional coverage model earlier this summer, the trickle down directly affected veteran reporters Anthony Gimino and Steve Rivera, who between them have more than 50 years experience covering Wildcat football and men's basketball.

Gimino and Rivera were collateral damage in dramatic cutbacks by the sports network, which basically realized it couldn't keep pace with ESPN, and as a result decided having freelancers with deep knowledge of a specific program wasn't a real value any longer.

. . .

Fortunately, even with the Fox Sports decision, both continue to cobble freelance opportunities. Gimino is part of KOLD's sports website presence. Meanwhile, Rivera has transitioned to scout.com, where he provides coverage for Arizona.scout.com. It also keeps a rather impressive streak alive. Rivera has been on press row for UA men's basketball games since 1992.
Sage&Silver

Post by Sage&Silver »

With all the cut-backs and penny-pinching I was blown away last night when I turned on the Cubs/Giants game and they had three guys in the booth, another covering from center field and A THIRD CREW in right field!

Craziness.
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

Rivera's at TOS, not Scout right?
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
ANGCatFan

Post by ANGCatFan »

Yes, Rivera is at TOS/rivals and I think all of his stuff has been free so far.
ANGCatFan

Post by ANGCatFan »

Here is a list from yahoo sports on must follow college football twitter feeds.

My advice, don't listen to athlon sports' advice in this article. I am an avid twitter follower and the more sports writers you add the more you are going to see the same info over and over again. Stay local, be picky with national follows and if one of the 619 guys you don't follow puts out something important it will be retweeted by someone you already follow.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

I agree. I've been whittling down my following list because you see the same stuff repeated ad nauseum. I've found a few who are more like aggregators for each sport and I don't feel like I miss a thing.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

The only national guys I'm currently following are Joe Klatt, Doug Gottlieb, Stewart Mandel, and Bruce Feldman. I am considering parring that down though.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

-JB