Recruiting Concerns

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

mytwocents

Recruiting Concerns

Post by mytwocents »

So as you may know because you read my West Coast Bowl thread (but prob not), I'm currently sitting in a room with a whole bunch of recruits right now...including Anthony Mariscal (who I absolutely ADORE btw) as well as Nigel Brooks.... John Houston's here...bunch other 4/5 stars etc....

So here's my question.... For example...Malik Psalms (4 star corner) was just checking in as he just had his official to Cal this weekend but flew here in time for our Bowl....and like most of the guys I've been sorta playing around and if they're committed I've said 'should gone to Zona'... And he said...., "You know Arizona was the ONLY Pac12 school who never bothered to recruit him or contact him." Now I don't know our exact needs so maybe we don't need corners like him....I don't know...but it seems odd that we wouldn't have bothered otherwise.

Then, Nigel Brooks who I thought was a commit... well he said, 'I don't know....I mean....seems sketchy over there....', 'never got a call back and it's been months'....

Now given that's just two players but if we don't even both with a 4 star at all...? I mean maybe it's one of those things that he's just one of the few players that didn't get interest out of the many....like I guess we can only go so hard after so many but...
EastCoastCat

Re: Recruiting Concerns

Post by EastCoastCat »

I think you might just be encountering some isolated situations.

As none of us are really privy to the overall recruiting strategy, especially when it comes to specific recruits, it's hard to draw any overall conclusions based on a few F2F conversations.

The bottom line is the results on the field. Right now, with what RichRod and staff has accomplished so far I personally have no concerns with recruiting at Arizona.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

If all the other PAC schools recruited them, maybe RR and staff decided they didn't have a chance. Can't go against USC for upper tier athletes.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

I liked what Romar said that todays kids just want to stockplie offers as a badge of honor and in most cases are reallynot interested in the school in the first place.

I would have asked them if they were offered would they havr come on a bisit and how much they liked the program from afar
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
mytwocents

Post by mytwocents »

I can see the 'recruits wanting to stockpile offers'....

In all honesty, I don't think Malik Pslams is like that but no doubt he could be the exception.
Reydituto

Post by Reydituto »

Only thing I'll say is that RR & Co do their own evals, identify who they like early in the cycle, and do not recruit players based on how high they are rated, but by how well they fit their schemes, and how interested they are early on in the process. If the player doesn't indicate early mutual interest, then they move on. That frustrates a lot of people, but IIWII. UA's class is just about full too.
But in my book, you gotta get to White Castle before the weirdos show up!
Tonight he gets Happy-Go-Jackie on the big white guy like a donkey eating a waffle!
Sweet Sassy Molassey, get out the checkbook and pay Grandma for the rubdown!
TuiTouchdown

Post by TuiTouchdown »

Wanted to share this to add to the discussion of recruits. Of course there's a higher correlation of 4-5 star getting drafted, but I saw an article that listen how the starters from each of the Super Bowl teams were rated when they were recruits coming out of high school.

http://www.sbnation.com/college-footbal ... ng-ratings

Note how Gronk was one of only a few 4-star recruits.

My position on this whole debate is that stars still matter. They are a good indicator for the "floor" of a recruit, but that a recruit can play above his given star level with hard work (mostly) and also fitting into the right system.
catinfl

Post by catinfl »

There's about 25 5*'s 200 4*'s 1000 3*'s and 2000 or more 2* recruits. The numbers are in favor of 2 and three stars
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

Stars matter when the game boils down to line play. Haven't seen yet that RR has a good enough gameplan to beat the LA schools without those stars up front.
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

Doesnt always apply to the OL, seems like a 2/3 stars from the Midwest always end up being a top draft pick
splitsecond

Post by splitsecond »

catgrad97 wrote:Stars matter when the game boils down to line play. Haven't seen yet that RR has a good enough gameplan to beat the LA schools without those stars up front.
It's funny you say this (and I agreed without having knowledge) because I noticed when I clicked on the link above both Super Bowl teams offensive lines were comprised of 2 and 3 star players and even 2 unranked player, with the exceeption of James Campbell who was a 4 star.
ANGCatFan

Post by ANGCatFan »

Gimino on the 1990 OKG class
The Arizona Wildcats will sign a class of OKGs -- Our Kinda Guys -- on Wednesday, so who much cares about recruiting rankings and what other people think?

Coach Rich Rodriguez's 2015 recruiting class sat at 39th nationally, and ninth in the Pac-12, as of Tuesday afternoon, according to the 247Sports' composite rankings that factor in opinions from multiple recruiting services.

Simple logic will tell you that you would rather take your chances with a class that is highly rated as opposed to one in the middle of the pack, but Arizona fans have long seen ranking-defying players -- @TwoStarScoob rings a bell, right? -- and ranking-defying classes.

If we go all the way back to 1990 -- Arizona's silver anniversary class -- we'll find a group of UA recruits ranked sixth in the Pac-10 by SuperPrep, which was the industry standard at the time.

That 1990 class, amid little fanfare, remains the best in school history.

"We recruited people we believed in," then-coach Dick Tomey once told me, "not people who everybody else believed in."
ANGCatFan

Post by ANGCatFan »

Good article at 538.com on how teams performed verses their recruiting rankings. First posted at Wildcat Authority.

RazorsEdgeAZ

Post by RazorsEdgeAZ »

Watched most of the stream today. Couple thoughts:

1) No surprises this year (yet). Marcus Griffin sort of surprise last year. Khari McGee year before if I recall.

2) How much Dudek and Rich Rod talked about recruiting rankings. Seemed much more this year than previous years. Assume it's on their minds. Why? Who Knows, but also assume they're aware of the perception and buzz (lack of). They'll never say they're disappointed in a class (not saying they are) and they have to "sell" the program. It just seemed they went into great length to explain to the fan base the rankings and class. Which brought attention to it.

3) Media was highlighting the class ranking Arizona had last year. They highlighted and promoted it last year. This year the Media's tone also seemed more subdued. Don't expect media to be completely negative because that's how they put food on their plates. Interest / eyeballs on the program. Also have to maintain "relationships" with the program. If media is going to hype a class ranking, it's fair when they don't.
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

RazorsEdgeAZ wrote:Watched most of the stream today. Couple thoughts:

1) No surprises this year (yet). Marcus Griffin sort of surprise last year. Khari McGee year before if I recall.

2) How much Dudek and Rich Rod talked about recruiting rankings. Seemed much more this year than previous years. Assume it's on their minds. Why? Who Knows, but also assume they're aware of the perception and buzz (lack of). They'll never say they're disappointed in a class (not saying they are) and they have to "sell" the program. It just seemed they went into great length to explain to the fan base the rankings and class. Which brought attention to it.

3) Media was highlighting the class ranking Arizona had last year. They highlighted and promoted it last year. This year the Media's tone also seemed more subdued. Don't expect media to be completely negative because that's how they put food on their plates. Interest / eyeballs on the program. Also have to maintain "relationships" with the program. If media is going to hype a class ranking, it's fair when they don't.
Really surprised we didnt get a surprise as we usually do as you pointed out. Maybe there will be one late, made for a pretty boring day

To me Dudek and Rich Rod are talking about it because they are selling their version of reality. That reality is stars do not matter, offer lists do not matter, what matter is what they think of recruits and how they recruit. I tend to believe reality is a little different but its obvious this class is not ranked well. I am not a casual fan of Arizona football and I think this class is Meh, to the casual fan like most of my friends they will look up the rankings and see we finished 9-10 in the Pac-12 and go wow, that class sucks. I feel Rich Rod and Matty D have to sell around that.

Media will want to maintain relationships but again, I think this class will come and go quickly and thankfully for Rich Rod our basketball team is rolling and we return a lot of talent for football so it probably is not a big deal. However, if 2016 is the same, or this 2015 class does not contribute much this year, I think questions could be brought up
2004 First Team All American Football Poster as voted on by GOAZCATS
RazorsEdgeAZ

Post by RazorsEdgeAZ »

Rich Rod press conference:

RR said he has 1 possible transfer in mind that could add to class.
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

Rich Rod said we are going to try to elevate our recruiting? That's an interesting comment

This is easily the least excited I have been on a signing day in years. Maybe its the No Drama or maybe its the lack of stars, who knows
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

RazorsEdgeAZ wrote:
I hope that wasn't his actual quote. Kind of shitty for the kids that committed early to think that the coaches wanted other kids more and settled early.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
3goggles

Post by 3goggles »

Newportcat wrote:Rich Rod said we are going to try to elevate our recruiting? That's an interesting comment

This is easily the least excited I have been on a signing day in years. Maybe its the No Drama or maybe its the lack of stars, who knows
We know you are dissappointed with the class! WE GET IT!
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

Chicat wrote:
RazorsEdgeAZ wrote:
I hope that wasn't his actual quote. Kind of shitty for the kids that committed early to think that the coaches wanted other kids more and settled early.
I agree, an interesting comment for sure

He also made the comment last year that they would probably not take so many guys early but then ended up taking everyone early

I think a challenge was we performed better on the field then expected but already had the class filled so they stopped recruiting some 2015 guys I think

Who knows and yes I should probably stop posting as it is obviously apparent on my views
Gladiator Cat

Post by Gladiator Cat »

Only at Arizona do we highlight the quality of our walk-on class on scholarship signing day.
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

Gladiator Cat wrote:Only at Arizona do we highlight the quality of our walk-on class on scholarship signing day.
HAHA so true!
RazorsEdgeAZ

Post by RazorsEdgeAZ »

The study groups FBS Schools including Arizona into Star ranking classes over 4 years (2010 -2013). How teams in each category performed and performed Head-Head.
To describe those results as "compelling" would be selling them short. It's a landslide. On the final count, the higher-ranked team according to the recruiting rankings won roughly two-thirds of the time, and every "class" as a whole had a winning record against every class ranked below it every single year. (The only exception came last year, when "three-star" teams came up short in head-to-head meetings with "one-star" teams. Otherwise, the hierarchy held across every line.) The gap on the field also widened with the gap in the recruiting scores: While "one-star" recruiting teams fared slightly better against blue-chip opponents than "two-star" teams, both groups combined managed a grand total of 19 wins over "five-star" opponents in 112 tries. Broadly speaking, the final results on the field broke along a straight line demarcated on signing day.
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

Case Close and great article

Someone should share this with Matty D and Rich Rod

You want to move up, recruit better players

Wow, sounds so simple!
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

RazorsEdgeAZ wrote:
I LOVE RichRod and think there is no doubt the dude is a terrific coach.

But that comment comes off as a bit gratuitous and very shallow. For starters... He has no idea of what kind of walk-on classes other schools will be bringing in.

It's coachspeak - I get it - but it should be reserved for 2 weeks from now, or whenever the group is announced. But to make that statement today? :?:

To me it suggests they are defensive of the fanbase's reaction to this class. It would have inspired more confidence to simply say "We wrapped up the class early with kids we really wanted" and leave it at that.
RazorsEdgeAZ

Post by RazorsEdgeAZ »

Chicat wrote:
RazorsEdgeAZ wrote:

I finally watched Rich Rods signing day press conference. He did admit to wanting more open spots at the end.

RR said he told staff LAST year he wanted to save more spots for HS Seniors who developed late or for seniors who showed late interest (season success?)

That this year it did not happen again. Wanted more spots saved for later. RR essentially took responsibility going forward for him to make sure that happens in saving the numbers. He referenced this year thought he could have added 5-6 talented guys if they could have (numbers).

Wrapped it up of course by saying he's glad with the guys they signed. That he doesn't worry about the guys they didn't sign but does with the guys they do.

Sounded that the 2016 wouldn't fill up as quickly preseason.

press conference http://www.arizonawildcats.com/mediaPor ... m_id=30700

If interested here's RR's signing day press conference from LAST year's 2014 class. I watched it to compare tone and for what was said AND what wasn't said. What they don't say is sometimes more obvious ( in one presser than the other) for what they do say. I sensed a striking difference in RR's demeanor / excitement last year than yesterday. Media too. Just IMO. Gather your own opinion. (and RR did say he told staff he wanted more open spots at the end) http://www.arizonawildcats.com/mediaPor ... id=3185547
Last edited by RazorsEdgeAZ on Thu Feb 05, 2015 9:43 am, edited 3 times in total.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

The good news out of this seems to be RR is recruiting for the long haul, 3 or 4 years down the road with developed upper class men, hopefully meaning he plans on staying around a bit.
catinfl

Post by catinfl »

Gladiator Cat wrote:Only at Arizona do we highlight the quality of our walk-on class on scholarship signing day.
Jared Tevis, Jake Matthews, and Parker Zellers say hi.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

1990s Nebraska says hello
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
Folesfor10K

Post by Folesfor10K »

catinfl wrote:
Oregon, Stanford, and soon assu say hi from the Rose Bowl. :cry:

Love those guys you listed but we ain't smelling roses with those types of guys...
Why is fast food healthy? Why do skinny people have SLOW metabolisms? Check out my nutrition blog for a fresh, new perspective on nutrition.

My two favorite teams:
1. U of A
2. Whoever plays ASU this week
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

catinfl wrote:
Tevis - Good safety for us but not a world beater. Not an all-conference player

Jake Matthews - Nice looking LB but doubt he will be all-conference anytime soon.

Parker Zellers - 247 LBS DT, works his tail off but his tail is unfortunately about 50 LBS to small. If he is starting again next year we have major problems

All nice players but none will play in the league or will be all conference or will get us to a rose bowl

wait for it.....wait for it......BUT WHAT ABOUT CHUCK CECIL, HE WAS A WALK ON
Catstatic

Post by Catstatic »

Folesfor10K wrote:
catinfl wrote:

Love those guys you listed but we ain't smelling roses with those types of guys...
We would have been in the Rose Bowl this year, with all of those guys, if it was not the first year of the playoff series.

Go Cats!!
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

Catstatic wrote:
Folesfor10K wrote:
catinfl wrote:

We would have been in the Rose Bowl this year, with all of those guys, if it was not the first year of the playoff series.

Go Cats!!
The monkey is off our back when we win a conference championship... Whether that comes with a Rose Bowl, Fiesta Bowl, or BCS playoff game.
Folesfor10K

Post by Folesfor10K »

Harvey Specter wrote:
The monkey is off our back when we win a conference championship... Whether that comes with a Rose Bowl, Fiesta Bowl, or BCS playoff game.
I know there are lots of different feelings on that issue but in my mind the monkey isn't off our back until we get to a rose bowl, regardless of how or why.

winning an outright pac 12 championship would be another monkey which isn't as important to me as the rose bowl. Just my opinion.
Why is fast food healthy? Why do skinny people have SLOW metabolisms? Check out my nutrition blog for a fresh, new perspective on nutrition.

My two favorite teams:
1. U of A
2. Whoever plays ASU this week
azpenguin

Post by azpenguin »

Newportcat wrote:Tevis - Good safety for us but not a world beater. Not an all-conference player
You vastly underestimate how important Tevis was to the defense. Not a world beater but he made plays, knew how to get to the ball and held the defense together. Ask Will Parks how important Tevis was. A player's value goes far beyond what awards they do or don't win.
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

Newportcat wrote:Who knows and yes I should probably stop posting as it is obviously apparent on my views
You were correct.
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

catinfl wrote:
Those guys take Arizona to the Rose Bowl yet?
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
3goggles

Post by 3goggles »

Puerco wrote:
catinfl wrote:
Those guys take Arizona to the Rose Bowl yet?
They would've last year or the next 2 years. Awful timing which is very fitting for the CATS