2016 Recruit/Commitment Thread

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

azpenguin

Re: 2016 Recruit/Commitment Thread

Post by azpenguin »

If he can learn the position at a D-1 level...imagine him on one side of the field and Cayleb on the other. The slot guys would run chaos while the corners tried to cover those guys out on the edges.
ANGCatFan

Post by ANGCatFan »

Dudek is heavily featured in the SI article looking at social media and recruiting. Matty D is gaining a great national reputation.
Dudek always wants something fresh on recruits’ preferred social networks. When prospects look down at their smartphones, Dudek wants the Arizona brand staring back at them.

“The power of social media is really second to none in recruiting,” Dudek said. “Back in the day, it used to be hand-written letters and the coach calling you. That’s all still relevant, but social media is 24/7/365. If a kid wakes up at 3 a.m. and scrolls through his phone, finds something and clicks on it, then we’re recruiting while we’re sleeping.”
Not sure if this article was already posted, but SI also talked with Coach Rod about why we should do away with signing day altogether. I'm fully in Coach Rod's camp on this.
“We ought to do the pros and cons of Bo Pelini’s idea of not having a signing day,” Rodriguez said Wednesday. Rodriguez said he had just begun thinking about the idea, but then he reeled off enough pros to suggest he has put some thought into the concept of eliminating signing periods and allowing coaches to sign players at any point during their high school careers.
the real dill

Post by the real dill »

the real dill wrote:Rivals 100 2016. Two AZ kids:

Byron Murphy DB Scottsdale, AZ Saguaro

Chase Lucas ATH Chandler, AZ Chandler

http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/r ... -3512/2016

Couple weird stats:

4 of the top 16, and 7 of the top 80 all from the IMG Academy in Florida (greatest HS team in history?)
Just 3 guys in all of the Western states outside of Texas and California that made the list (2 in AZ, 1 in WA)

Update:

Byron Murphy up to #73.

Chase Lucas at #104

Garrett Rand, DT Chandler, AZ Hamilton at #150
K'Neal Harry, WR Chandler, AZ Chandler at #154

http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/r ... -3513/2016
the real dill

Post by the real dill »

Now that the commitment is done, Patterson said he plans on being an ace player-recruiter for the Rebels. He has a few players on his list to help the Rebels ultimately sign, including 4-star wide receiver Mykel Jones, 4-star running back Devin White, 4-star defensive tackle Rashard Lawrence, 4-star receiver Devin Duvernay, 4-star receiver Clyde Leflore, and 3-star Arizona running back commit Trevor Speights.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2367 ... -exclusive
RazorsEdgeAZ

Post by RazorsEdgeAZ »

Trevor Speights had a great past season. Expect his offer list will grow with bigger "name" schools. Has a couple SEC offers now. Of course Speights and Patterson have remained friends from Patterson's Texas playing days.

Speights did list Patterson as one of his reasons he committed to Arizona so early. Others were depth chart and his parents (education). Speights has been open that his parents favor Arizona and that the campus a "special place". But his offer list was smaller back then.
catinfl

Post by catinfl »

the real dill wrote:

Couple weird stats:

4 of the top 16, and 7 of the top 80 all from the IMG Academy in Florida (greatest HS team in history?)
Just 3 guys in all of the Western states outside of Texas and California that made the list (2 in AZ, 1 in WA)

Update:

Byron Murphy up to #73.

Chase Lucas at #104

I think we have the best chance with Lucas out of those people. Running back is a really attractive option for Arizona recruits and Lucas knows he will get all the carries he can handle. The key to getting into Chandler is getting Mason Moran. I think if we can get him are chances greatly increase for the other two at Chandler. Rand doesn't seem very likely, but he is pretty good friends with Eldridge and that's interesting. Murphy is a pipe dream.

the real dill wrote:Now that the commitment is done, Patterson said he plans on being an ace player-recruiter for the Rebels. He has a few players on his list to help the Rebels ultimately sign, including 4-star wide receiver Mykel Jones, 4-star running back Devin White, 4-star defensive tackle Rashard Lawrence, 4-star receiver Devin Duvernay, 4-star receiver Clyde Leflore, and 3-star Arizona running back commit Trevor Speights.

I'd like to keep Speights, but I expect him to blow up during the summer and Shea going to Ole Miss is sooooooooooooooo fishy. Oddly enough they hire his brother and become favorites immediately and he commits?
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

catinfl wrote:
the real dill wrote:

Couple weird stats:

Update:

Byron Murphy up to #73.

Chase Lucas at #104

I think we have the best chance with Lucas out of those people. Running back is a really attractive option for Arizona recruits and Lucas knows he will get all the carries he can handle. The key to getting into Chandler is getting Mason Moran. I think if we can get him are chances greatly increase for the other two at Chandler. Rand doesn't seem very likely, but he is pretty good friends with Eldridge and that's interesting. Murphy is a pipe dream.

the real dill wrote:Now that the commitment is done, Patterson said he plans on being an ace player-recruiter for the Rebels. He has a few players on his list to help the Rebels ultimately sign, including 4-star wide receiver Mykel Jones, 4-star running back Devin White, 4-star defensive tackle Rashard Lawrence, 4-star receiver Devin Duvernay, 4-star receiver Clyde Leflore, and 3-star Arizona running back commit Trevor Speights.

I'd like to keep Speights, but I expect him to blow up during the summer and Shea going to Ole Miss is sooooooooooooooo fishy. Oddly enough they hire his brother and become favorites immediately and he commits?
Of course it sounds fishy, but this recruitment stunk from the beginning. His brother is an AZ GA = Az early commit. Brother leaves AZ for LSU = Tigers lead. Brother gets hired away by Ole Miss = Rebel Commit.

As for Chase Luca, I hope you are right - but this sure does not sound promising. I realize it is an Oregon paper, but he did not even mention either UA or ASU. The Ducks have seemed to get just about whoever they want out of AZ the last few years, sans K'deem.

http://www.oregonlive.com/recruiting/in ... 16_rb.html
catinfl

Post by catinfl »

It's early with Lucas. Let the staff get him here for Junior day and show him around. I know K'Neal Harry is a longshot, but we need to make an effort. He's at Chandler a school that doesn't really shut us out, but doesn't help. Kid dominated the Las Vegas camp scouts are raving about him and he's gonna be a national recruit here in the coming months.
Scummy Dick Douglas

Post by Scummy Dick Douglas »

catinfl wrote:It's early with Lucas. Let the staff get him here for Junior day and show him around. I know K'Neal Harry is a longshot, but we need to make an effort. He's at Chandler a school that doesn't really shut us out, but doesn't help. Kid dominated the Las Vegas camp scouts are raving about him and he's gonna be a national recruit here in the coming months.
Neither of those kids are staying in AZ. Harry will be a 5* on some recruiting services before its said and done.
Gladiator Cat

Post by Gladiator Cat »

Scummy Dick Douglas wrote:
catinfl wrote:It's early with Lucas. Let the staff get him here for Junior day and show him around. I know K'Neal Harry is a longshot, but we need to make an effort. He's at Chandler a school that doesn't really shut us out, but doesn't help. Kid dominated the Las Vegas camp scouts are raving about him and he's gonna be a national recruit here in the coming months.
Neither of those kids are staying in AZ. Harry will be a 5* on some recruiting services before its said and done.
Harry and Lucas don't even know that Tucson is in the state of Arizona. These guys will be just like the Christian Kirk recruitment. There was no need to try.

ASSU might, might get a token visit from these guys but the UofA won't even be acknowledged as existing in the football universe.

Expect Harry and Lucas to sign with either Oregon, USC or UCLA or in another conference all together.
catinfl

Post by catinfl »

Scummy Dick Douglas wrote:
It's not over till the fat lady sings. The only reason I'm dreaming about those two is because of Mason Moran.. If we can get him I'm sure they'd at least give us a look, but nontheless they are long-shots and have their eyes out of state.
3goggles

Post by 3goggles »

Mason Moran? Tell me about him.
catinfl

Post by catinfl »

3goggles wrote:Mason Moran? Tell me about him.
He's the QB at Chandler, but is probably going to be recruited as a safety. Obviously being the QB helps and he has a connection with Lucas and Harry.

Profile: https://rivals.yahoo.com/tcu/football/r ... ran-149022
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

RazorsEdgeAZ

Post by RazorsEdgeAZ »

Looked at Arizona's 2016 offer list. Roughly now a third amount of a typical RichRod class now offered (66). Not sure it translates into priorities, concerns or other:

JuCo: 2 offers. (1) DE (1) LB

Position: ATH obviously with most from AZ now. OL position next (9 offers)). WR, RB next with (8) documented offers out. Then the LB position (7)(Scooby preparation?)

Location: Obviously CA dominates, then LA and AZ (8). FLA next at (7). PA recruits still being offered by AZ (5). Assume this held over from the Tony Gibson days. Gibson brought deep relationships in that area while at WVU (still does).

Found it interesting that 2016 thus far shows (2) recruits offered by AZ in Alabama. From what I can tell that's a 1st for RichRod/MaGee while at AZ. Don't think Stoops ever offered any AL recruits. Maybe Magee will begin to spread out more into this area.
Reydituto

Post by Reydituto »

the real dill wrote:Now that the commitment is done, Patterson said he plans on being an ace player-recruiter for the Rebels. He has a few players on his list to help the Rebels ultimately sign, including ... and 3-star Arizona running back commit Trevor Speights.
Fuck that guy ...
But in my book, you gotta get to White Castle before the weirdos show up!
Tonight he gets Happy-Go-Jackie on the big white guy like a donkey eating a waffle!
Sweet Sassy Molassey, get out the checkbook and pay Grandma for the rubdown!
3goggles

Post by 3goggles »

Trevor Speights is trending on 247sports with Tx AM and is visiting w/ the Vols. Does RR pull his offer now?
RazorsEdgeAZ

Post by RazorsEdgeAZ »

(@KahiNeves) currently committed to Utah. Big Arm
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

catinfl wrote:
whatisee wrote:From the looks of it this class will be a LB heavy class. Who are we looking at?

What are our chances on Justin Holt for this class? Who's watched him play?
Very good chance
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Irish27

Post by Irish27 »

2019 & 2021 Basketball RAP Winner/2022 Football RAP Winner
Reydituto

Post by Reydituto »

Big-time get with big-time potential. A redshirt year with S&C will do him wonders. His pops is a true Wildcat.
But in my book, you gotta get to White Castle before the weirdos show up!
Tonight he gets Happy-Go-Jackie on the big white guy like a donkey eating a waffle!
Sweet Sassy Molassey, get out the checkbook and pay Grandma for the rubdown!
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

Great to keep the local kids and you can never have enough big strong DT's. Mix him with Sharif Williams and we finally have some lineman with real size for the NG position in our defense
2004 First Team All American Football Poster as voted on by GOAZCATS
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

If he is half as good as his pops he will be a great contributor to the program. Welcome aboard Mr. Holt
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
CatsbyAZ

Post by CatsbyAZ »

Very glad Holt is on board. One of the better DLs in the West.
“The force behind the movement of time is a mourning that will not be comforted.” author Marilynne Robinson
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

Anyone seen Sharif Williams in the past few months? He's on campus, right? Rehab going well?
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
3goggles

Post by 3goggles »

Puerco wrote:Anyone seen Sharif Williams in the past few months? He's on campus, right? Rehab going well?
He is been practicing in Spring Ball 100% I think!
catinfl

Post by catinfl »

Holt is a good prospect at DT. Always good to start off with a local kid
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

RazorsEdgeAZ

Post by RazorsEdgeAZ »

Sidenote:

Michael Eletise many many offers. Somewhat rare for Dudek - others to tweet a reference to unofficial visit. He just did unofficial at USC an UCLA while at the LA "Nike Opening".

Eletise's sister attends GCU in Phoenix as well.
catinfl

Post by catinfl »

RazorsEdgeAZ wrote:Sidenote:

Michael Eletise many many offers. Somewhat rare for Dudek - others to tweet a reference to unofficial visit. He just did unofficial at USC an UCLA while at the LA "Nike Opening".

Eletise's sister attends GCU in Phoenix as well.
Visit seems like it went really well. Don't think matty d would post that instagram unless it did go well.
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

What is the Instagram reference?
catinfl

Post by catinfl »

MrBug708 wrote:What is the Instagram reference?
Matty D posted a picture in a lot of Hawaiian stuff after Elisste visited which usually is a good sign. He also called our visit "Phenomenal"
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

3goggles wrote:Trevor Speights is trending on 247sports with Tx AM and is visiting w/ the Vols. Does RR pull his offer now?
Still collecting.
catinfl

Post by catinfl »

Trevor Speights is an elite prospect. Coaches likely haven't talked to him about visits yet. RR probably doesn't like that he's taking visits, but it's so early in the process in my opinion he won't do anything yet. Now, if he's still committed in November and starts taking visits elsewhere it's a different story.
gronk4heisman

Post by gronk4heisman »

Welcome to the Wildcat family Mr Tate
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

Some more of these QB domino's need to start falling.

Glad to see Tate found a place to try out as a QB
TuiTouchdown

Post by TuiTouchdown »

Kid has quite the offer list: Florida St., Nebraska, USC, UCLA, Texas A&M

Welcome to Tucson, Tate!

Highlight reel: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=FcH08v1IW4U&t=324

He's certainly fast and has a cannon for an arm.

Also Speights Tweeted out this after Tate committed: https://mobile.twitter.com/TSpeightsRB/ ... 0893575168
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

This is the exact type of player that we should be recruiting and is class is off to a great start!

Great offer list, from SoCal, but rich rod wins the battle by agreeing to let him play the position he wants. He gives the kid a year or two to be a QB nd if it doesn't work out move him to another position.

Color me impressed by this commitment. He is the type where while he is a three star recruit by rivals when you look at his offer list stars don't matter.

And to think some here said we should never waste our time recruiting LA kids with offers from UCLA or USC.....

Hopefully this is a sign of more strong recruits with strong offer lists to come
catinfl

Post by catinfl »

Tate is an explosive athlete and it brings in some more talented guys for QB. So when Anu leaves we'll have Dawkins (Big Arm), Tate (Explosive Athlete), Burmiester (Both, but will be younger than both). That's assuming they all stay. Also, Tate wants to graduate early and he's committed early and said he did it so he can recruit for us which may be big. Overall a very solid start to the class with a RB with offers from around the country, a big local DT, and an ATH with offers around the country.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Kid's got a nice offer list.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

threenumberones

Post by threenumberones »

catinfl wrote:Tate is an explosive athlete and it brings in some more talented guys for QB. So when Anu leaves we'll have Dawkins (Big Arm), Tate (Explosive Athlete), Burmiester (Both, but will be younger than both). That's assuming they all stay. Also, Tate wants to graduate early and he's committed early and said he did it so he can recruit for us which may be big. Overall a very solid start to the class with a RB with offers from around the country, a big local DT, and an ATH with offers around the country.
Gotta love where the kid's head is at. Solid start indeed.
azthrillhouse

Post by azthrillhouse »

catinfl wrote:Tate is an explosive athlete and it brings in some more talented guys for QB. So when Anu leaves we'll have Dawkins (Big Arm), Tate (Explosive Athlete), Burmiester (Both, but will be younger than both). That's assuming they all stay. Also, Tate wants to graduate early and he's committed early and said he did it so he can recruit for us which may be big. Overall a very solid start to the class with a RB with offers from around the country, a big local DT, and an ATH with offers around the country.
Modster was the top of our board for QB's, right? Do we still pursue him or are we "on to the next one"?
3goggles

Post by 3goggles »

I love our offer list for this class. some 5* tons of 4* & solid 3* no 2*.

http://arizona.247sports.com/Season/201 ... all/Offers
catinfl

Post by catinfl »

azthrillhouse wrote:
Modster was the top of our board for QB's, right? Do we still pursue him or are we "on to the next one"?
Not sure, but Modster seemed really excited with the UCLA offer and it didn't look like it was happening. I think we'll take one and it'll be Tate.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

3goggles wrote:I love our offer list for this class. some 5* tons of 4* & solid 3* no 2*.

The list looks good, but I'd be happier if it was a signing list. :D
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Appreciate your knowledge CiF, so just wondering do you think that Tate might turn into another Khari McGee? Better athlete than QB?
catinfl

Post by catinfl »

Merkin wrote:
Appreciate your knowledge CiF, so just wondering do you think that Tate might turn into another Khari McGee? Better athlete than QB?
McGee isn't a good comparison. He was a solid 2* guy with one other offer from the Pac-12 while Tate has offers from around the country and had three schools recruiting him as a QB (Boise, Arizona, Texas A&M). People have had great things to say about him and said while he projects better as an ATH, that they think he can fit into our system as a QB, he also mentioned RR's and Rod Smith's mentoring as another key factor in him coming to Arizona. Tate's problem is making erratic decisions, but that can be fixed with time and a lot of RR roast sessions during practice.
3goggles

Post by 3goggles »

azgreg wrote:
3goggles wrote:I love our offer list for this class. some 5* tons of 4* & solid 3* no 2*.

The list looks good, but I'd be happier if it was a signing list. :D
I think we all would
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

Outside of those couple years under Stoops when Dykes was our OC and Mark Stoops was our DC, this has to be the most talented staff Arizona has had in a long time, maybe ever.

For the spread system, I am not sure there are better coaches then Rich Rod, Rod Smith, and Calvin Magee. Glad recruits see that and realize if Rod Smith can make BJ Denker a decent Pac-12 QB, he can do real damage with an athlete like Tate. Tate seems perfect to run the full spread unlike Anu honestly as I really feel you need a QB who can run and throw for it to work well like when we had Scott and Kadeem.

Thing I also love about Tate is he also plays at marquee program in Socal, Serra, so could open up a pipeline there. Seems like they produce 6-8 solid D1 players every year.