Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

chiefzona

Re: 2018 Arizona Wildcats football team

Post by chiefzona »

ChooChooCat wrote:
chiefzona wrote:
jimson wrote:
chiefzona wrote:

Boone is the only possible move that I have heard and that is a reach. No matter what happens, it’s irrelevant. RR is gone.
Yeah? Where's he going?

I said that is a reach.
He meant RR bud.

I think he meant Boone.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

I am curious why you think RR will be gone and when?

I am fully on the bring in Lane Train if RR doesnt get 9 wins no matter what next year. But do you have different ideas?
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
btfd16

Post by btfd16 »

PHXCATS wrote:I am curious why you think RR will be gone and when?

I am fully on the bring in Lane Train if RR doesnt get 9 wins no matter what next year. But do you have different ideas?
I don't thing Kiffin is realistic. Sumlin maybe but don't think Kiffin is. That 10 year extension was bound to drive that buyout up.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

PJ Johnson to AZ as expected. Loved the S&C program and his relationship with Vince Amey. I think the cats have about 12 NLI's in so far in the early period.
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
prh

Post by prh »

btfd16 wrote:

I don't thing Kiffin is realistic. Sumlin maybe but don't think Kiffin is. That 10 year extension was bound to drive that buyout up.
I don't think there's any way Kiffin would sign that extension if it had a huge increase in the buyout, that just wouldn't make any sense. He already had a 5-year deal I believe (4 remaining). That extension was purely PR for recruiting.

Honestly, given all the reasons Lane likes FAU, Arizona sounds like a decent destination for him. Power 5 school with no expectations, but nothing structurally that would keep us in the basement (i.e. Vanderbilt, Oregon State, Kansas, Rutgers). Lane could recruit the hell out of UofA (weather, campus, scenery, etc). Arizona gives him a chance to stick it to USC every year, which he'd probably enjoy. And if nothing else, it can be a better stepping stone to a big time job than FAU. I'm not sure that big time programs are ready to give him a chance after one year at FAU. Proving himself somewhere like Arizona would be huge.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Inked a kid by the name of Issaiah Johnson. Kid is a beast and I think underrated. Will be a good player for us
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

azcat49 wrote:PJ Johnson to AZ as expected. Loved the S&C program and his relationship with Vince Amey. I think the cats have about 12 NLI's in so far in the early period.

Nasty story I heard about him with his Dad.
whatisee

Post by whatisee »

chiefzona wrote:
azcat49 wrote:PJ Johnson to AZ as expected. Loved the S&C program and his relationship with Vince Amey. I think the cats have about 12 NLI's in so far in the early period.

you really are a cancer to this program
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

whatisee wrote:
chiefzona wrote:

Not at all. I was told it happened on campus. I’m still waiting for the pundits to break it.
jimson

Post by jimson »

chiefzona wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
chiefzona wrote:
jimson wrote:
chiefzona wrote:

Boone is the only possible move that I have heard and that is a reach. No matter what happens, it’s irrelevant. RR is gone.
Yeah? Where's he going?

I said that is a reach.
He meant RR bud.

I think he meant Boone.
No, you said RR is gone, so where is he going?
jimson

Post by jimson »

whatisee wrote:
chiefzona wrote:

A cancer? Well, you can just count on him and a few others to spin every possible thing that RR does into a negative.

I don't much care any more. Either RR succeeds or we go on a 20 year merry go round of hiring a supposed up and comer every few years, fire him if he fails or have him poached if he succeeds, and in the end, we are no better off than if we gave RR a couple more years.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

prh wrote:
btfd16 wrote:

I don't think there's any way Kiffin would sign that extension if it had a huge increase in the buyout, that just wouldn't make any sense. He already had a 5-year deal I believe (4 remaining). That extension was purely PR for recruiting.

Honestly, given all the reasons Lane likes FAU, Arizona sounds like a decent destination for him. Power 5 school with no expectations, but nothing structurally that would keep us in the basement (i.e. Vanderbilt, Oregon State, Kansas, Rutgers). Lane could recruit the hell out of UofA (weather, campus, scenery, etc). Arizona gives him a chance to stick it to USC every year, which he'd probably enjoy. And if nothing else, it can be a better stepping stone to a big time job than FAU. I'm not sure that big time programs are ready to give him a chance after one year at FAU. Proving himself somewhere like Arizona would be huge.
Lane will get offered a bigger job than Arizona and he knows it. He's not coming here.
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

jimson wrote:
chiefzona wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
chiefzona wrote:[quote="jimson"

I think he meant Boone.
I think we all know that this is his last year at Arizona.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

ChooChooCat wrote:
prh wrote:
btfd16 wrote:

Lane will get offered a bigger job than Arizona and he knows it. He's not coming here.
Considering Tennessee didn't offer him nor Arkansas or Kansas or Oregon I am not sure that will necessarily be the case. If UA starts on him early it can happen.
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

PHXCATS wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
prh wrote:
btfd16 wrote:

Considering Tennessee didn't offer him nor Arkansas or Kansas or Oregon I am not sure that will necessarily be the case. If UA starts on him early it can happen.
In 2018, that Will be a different story.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

PHXCATS wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
prh wrote:
btfd16 wrote:

He's only been at FAU for a year and he won 11 games. It won't take much longer. Plus if he ever took the Arizona job he'd be here for about 2 years as well max, it's what Lane does.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

[qote="ChooChooCat"]
PHXCATS wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
prh wrote:
btfd16 wrote:

He's only been at FAU for a year and he won 11 games. It won't take much longer. Plus if he ever took the Arizona job he'd be here for about 2 years as well max, it's what Lane does.[/quote]

I don't think you are gonna find a hot name that won't leave after a few years.

Also Lane has an act that won't work well at big time football schools. UA could use his act
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

PHXCATS wrote:

I don't think you are gonna find a hot name that won't leave after a few years.

Also Lane has an act that won't work well at big time football schools. UA could use his act
We'll see, I'd love to have him, but I just think he's destined for greener pastures.
btfd16

Post by btfd16 »

chiefzona wrote:
jimson wrote:
chiefzona wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
chiefzona wrote:[quote="jimson"

I think he meant Boone.
I think we all know that this is his last year at Arizona.
You don't know this at all :lol:

Khalil stays healthy and does well, wins 9 games, he isn't going anywhere and you know it.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

btfd16 wrote:

Khalil stays healthy and does well, wins 9 games, he isn't going anywhere and you know it.
Unless attendance is so bad the athletic department loses money on the season....again.
btfd16

Post by btfd16 »

ChooChooCat wrote:
btfd16 wrote:

Unless attendance is so bad the athletic department loses money on the season....again.
You think they fire a guy after winning nine games because of attendance? If we can't fill the stadium with a successful season and preseason Heisman contender then that is our own fault.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

btfd16 wrote: Khalil stays healthy and does well, wins 9 games, he isn't going anywhere and you know it.
If Tate stays healthy, and does well, then why would Tate stay? A body can only take so much pounding. If if Tate goes, then why would RichRod stay?
btfd16

Post by btfd16 »

Merkin wrote:
btfd16 wrote: Khalil stays healthy and does well, wins 9 games, he isn't going anywhere and you know it.
If Tate stays healthy, and does well, then why would Tate stay? A body can only take so much pounding. If if Tate goes, then why would RichRod stay?
Maybe because there is someone else on the team he is fairly close with... Like his son.

EDIT: Not trying to defend him, after the ASU game I flipped so fast to a critic. But I just don't think it is anywhere near a guarantee he is gone.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

btfd16 wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
btfd16 wrote:

You think they fire a guy after winning nine games because of attendance? If we can't fill the stadium with a successful season and preseason Heisman contender then that is our own fault.
After this next season he'd have one year remaining on his contract. You either have to A. Extend him for another 4 years where you tie your hands completely to him with whatever buyout (always overpriced) and continue to have another line of years where you lose money on football (since fans couldn't be bothered to show up for a 9 win team led by a Heisman candidate) or B. You let him go, move on, rally around a "new fresh start" with a new coach who has a brand new indoor facility and vision to sell to recruits who can promise day in and day out that he can get us to the Rose Bowl and yada yada yada. Technically there is a C. option as well where you leave RR as head coach to coach the final year of his contract where you'll for sure have a shit recruiting class because there's no guarantee he's the coach the following season and fans will once again remain apathetic and you'll for sure lose money on the season again.

C. isn't a realistic option from a business stand point whatsoever, so that leaves A. where you steadfast believe RR is your guy and he can turn around the fan apathy or B. where you move on and try to get fans to care again via a new regime. Heeke isn't stupid, he knows his two options and the attendance will tell the entire story. Now if RR plays his way into a 10 win plus season then Heeke has no choice but to go with A, but 9 wins or less, which would at best equate to an Alamo Bowl berth and 2nd place in the division along with shitty attendance again and then yeah Heeke likely has no choice but to go with B.

Also fwiw if we stick with a coach who can't fill the stadium with a successful season and preseason Heisman contender and we extend that coach regardless then that is our own fault as well.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

ChooChooCat wrote:
btfd16 wrote:

If the fans drive a winner out of town because he flirted with South Carolina (a step up) while giving Miller a total pass on Maryland (step down) then that is 100% pathetic
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Merkin wrote:
Tate does not have NFL game. No way he gets drafted in the first 5 or 6 rounds no matter what.

Heisman winners have gone undrafted before
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

PHXCATS wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
btfd16 wrote:

If the fans drive a winner out of town because he flirted with South Carolina (a step up) while giving Miller a total pass on Maryland (step down) then that is 100% pathetic
16-15
30-8
23-12
27-8
33-5
34-4
25-9
32-5

vs

8-5
8-5
10-4
7-6
3-9
7-5

One of these things is not like the other....

Should I compare recruiting classes while I'm at it?
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

PHXCATS wrote:
Merkin wrote:
Tate does not have NFL game. No way he gets drafted in the first 5 or 6 rounds no matter what.

Heisman winners have gone undrafted before

I imagine Tate would be drafted as an athlete. I don't watch the NFL, but he is probably a bit tall for a RB, so maybe a WR?
btfd16

Post by btfd16 »

Do you honestly believe we fire a guy if he wins 9 games because of attendance? I put that more on Heeke than RR.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

btfd16 wrote:Do you honestly believe we fire a guy if he wins 9 games because of attendance? I put that more on Heeke than RR.
He has to pay for numerous projects. You can't expect him to let a normal source of revenue continue to be a drain on the athletic department and put us further into debt with zero hope of paying for anything do you? The man runs a damn business, he has to make money in the places he's supposed to i.e. basketball and football. If he doesn't then football will always remain mediocre at best and basketball will suffer, because it'll have to pay for fricken football now too. If he allows RR to stay and the attendance numbers are still falling short 15K of capacity I'd put that on Heeke more than RR.
tgrumpy2

Post by tgrumpy2 »

ChooChooCat wrote:
btfd16 wrote:Do you honestly believe we fire a guy if he wins 9 games because of attendance? I put that more on Heeke than RR.
He has to pay for numerous projects. You can't expect him to let a normal source of revenue continue to be a drain on the athletic department and put us further into debt with zero hope of paying for anything do you? The man runs a damn business, he has to make money in the places he's supposed to i.e. basketball and football. If he doesn't then football will always remain mediocre at best and basketball will suffer, because it'll have to pay for fricken football now too. If he allows RR to stay and the attendance numbers are still falling short 15K of capacity I'd put that on Heeke more than RR.
I can pretty much say with confidence that if we're winning 8 and 9 games and we have a Heisman candidate and the attendance is still down. It doesn't have a damn thing to do with the coach. This has been hashed over anyway. The polls and discussion groups have all pointed to other reasons.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

tgrumpy2 wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
I can pretty much say with confidence that if we're winning 8 and 9 games and we have a Heisman candidate and the attendance is still down. It doesn't have a damn thing to do with the coach. This has been hashed over anyway. The polls and discussion groups have all pointed to other reasons.
You have to at least try to turn things around and doing the same god damn thing with the same god leadership is lunacy. I've mentioned it before that Arizona leads the conference in basketball, baseball, and softball attendance. The passion is there in Tucson for the University let's not act as if it's not (student body issues not withstanding of course). 7-8 win seasons with the same guy that nobody seems to like who continues to recruit all 3 star recruiting classes isn't going to make more people show up. If RR made less money then it's something the Athletic Department could stomach, but he gets paid a shit ton especially based on the overall results he provides. You can't extend him and pay him more for the same results with the attendance being where it's at you just can't, whether you think he's the root cause of attendance issues or not.
btfd16

Post by btfd16 »

ChooChooCat wrote:
tgrumpy2 wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
You have to at least try to turn things around and doing the same god damn thing with the same god leadership is lunacy. I've mentioned it before that Arizona leads the conference in basketball, baseball, and softball attendance. The passion is there in Tucson for the University let's not act as if it's not (student body issues not withstanding of course). 7-8 win seasons with the same guy that nobody seems to like who continues to recruit all 3 star recruiting classes isn't going to make more people show up. If RR made less money then it's something the Athletic Department could stomach, but he gets paid a shit ton especially based on the overall results he provides. You can't extend him and pay him more for the same results with the attendance being where it's at you just can't, whether you think he's the root cause of attendance issues or not.
I can't tell you a single person I know that their make-or-break reason to go to a football game is who is coaching the game (except Chief). It's game experience and convenience. Basketball is easy and shorter games, plus were good. Baseball is nice stadium, you can sit down and relax, and you can drink beer (only reason majority of us students went). Softball is right on campus, you can sit and relax the whole game, and easy to get in and out with minimal traffic (mostly adults, I don't know many people who went to a single softball game). Football is a nightmare.
btfd16

Post by btfd16 »

^ This coming from a guy who already has his hot board ready
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

btfd16 wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
tgrumpy2 wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
I can't tell you a single person I know that their make-or-break reason to go to a football game is who is coaching the game (except Chief). It's game experience and convenience. Basketball is easy and shorter games, plus were good. Baseball is nice stadium, you can sit down and relax, and you can drink beer (only reason majority of us students went). Softball is right on campus, you can sit and relax the whole game, and easy to get in and out with minimal traffic (mostly adults, I don't know many people who went to a single softball game). Football is a nightmare.
Believe me I understand the dynamics that come with attending football games right now, but you have to attempt to flip that around. All my points still stand and you've got to stop blaming the fans for the entirety of this situation. If you can have great attendance when Mike Stoops is your coach you can do it again.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

ChooChooCat wrote:
PHXCATS wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
btfd16 wrote:

16-15
30-8
23-12
27-8
33-5
34-4
25-9
32-5

vs

8-5
8-5
10-4
7-6
3-9
7-5

One of these things is not like the other....

Should I compare recruiting classes while I'm at it?
sure and hang the recruiting banner next to all of Miller's final four ones.
UAdevil

Post by UAdevil »

PHXCATS wrote: sure and hang the recruiting banner next to all of Miller's final four ones.
:roll:
Love the 've! Stop with the: Would of - Could of - Should of - Must of - Might of
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Lol...wow.

Simple...ones a winner, the others a huckster. Most people back winners or those that project a winning attitude. And I think miller is a prickly as they come.
UALoco

Post by UALoco »

If a fanbase doesn't show up for an Arizona Football Team that wins 9, I don't think I want to count myself a member of that fanbase. I want to be part of something bigger and better than that.

That would free up time in 2020 to start hitting the Raider games in Vegas. Maybe reconsider Cardinal season tickets.

I love me some Wildcat Football but that level of apathy plus the vitriol on this board may just put me over the edge.
tgrumpy2

Post by tgrumpy2 »

You people need to go back and look at football attendance. When we win, people come to the games. When we lose, they don't. It always lags a year. We lost last year and people didn't show up this year. We won this year and attendance will pick up. If we keep winning next year I expect it will even get better. For people to sit back and say its all because of a coach they don't like, I'm not buying it. The bottom line is win.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

UALoco wrote:If a fanbase doesn't show up for an Arizona Football Team that wins 9, I don't think I want to count myself a member of that fanbase. I want to be part of something bigger and better than that.

That would free up time in 2020 to start hitting the Raider games in Vegas. Maybe reconsider Cardinal season tickets.

I love me some Wildcat Football but that level of apathy plus the vitriol on this board may just put me over the edge.
good riddance. with your ridiculous takes and shit attitude toward other fans that you grade and want to feel "lesser" than you. don't need your kind of "fandom" around the program that we all want to succeed anyway.
UALoco

Post by UALoco »

scumdevils86 wrote:
UALoco wrote:If a fanbase doesn't show up for an Arizona Football Team that wins 9, I don't think I want to count myself a member of that fanbase. I want to be part of something bigger and better than that.

good riddance. with your ridiculous takes and shit attitude toward other fans that you grade and want to feel "lesser" than you. don't need your kind of "fandom" around the program that we all want to succeed anyway.
I only have a shit attitude towards you scumdevil.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

UALoco wrote:
scumdevils86 wrote:

No it's a pretty shit attitude toward the program and anything you think is beneath you. It's you.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
UALoco

Post by UALoco »

ASUHATER! wrote:
UALoco wrote:
scumdevils86 wrote:

No it's a pretty shit attitude toward the program and anything you think is beneath you. It's you.
Oh, I forgot about you Hater..I have a shit attitude towards you too.

I love the program..sad it has so may albatross fans like you two. BearDown Cabrones.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

UALoco wrote:
ASUHATER! wrote:
UALoco wrote:
scumdevils86 wrote:

I love the program..sad it has so may albatross fans like you two. BearDown Cabrones.
This is not saying anyone is a better or worse fan but it find it incredibly funny that people who dont go to games are crapping on the fans who do
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

UALoco wrote:
ASUHATER! wrote:
UALoco wrote:
scumdevils86 wrote:

You're absolutely the worst kind of fan.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Again not saying anyone is a good or bad fan but someone who doesn't go to games saying someone who does is the worst kind of fan is so rich.
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

tgrumpy2 wrote:You people need to go back and look at football attendance. When we win, people come to the games. When we lose, they don't. It always lags a year. We lost last year and people didn't show up this year. We won this year and attendance will pick up. If we keep winning next year I expect it will even get better. For people to sit back and say its all because of a coach they don't like, I'm not buying it. The bottom line is win.

Isn’t winning on the coach? 24-30 Conference record.
tgrumpy2

Post by tgrumpy2 »

chiefzona wrote:
tgrumpy2 wrote:You people need to go back and look at football attendance. When we win, people come to the games. When we lose, they don't. It always lags a year. We lost last year and people didn't show up this year. We won this year and attendance will pick up. If we keep winning next year I expect it will even get better. For people to sit back and say its all because of a coach they don't like, I'm not buying it. The bottom line is win.

yea and who else has taken us to a P12 South championship and five bowl games in six years. I'll say it again, I don't think the fans as a whole care what the conference record is. If we're winning they'll be watching. You can sit there and stir your shit pot all you want but the truth is what it is.
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

tgrumpy2 wrote:
chiefzona wrote:

yea and who else has taken us to a P12 South championship and five bowl games in six years. I'll say it again, I don't think the fans as a whole care what the conference record is. If we're winning they'll be watching. You can sit there and stir your shit pot all you want but the truth is what it is.

The truth is that after 6 full seasons as Arizona’s HC, he is 24-30 in the PAC 12. You can spin it and get all bent outta shape but that doesn’t change the truth.