General Malaise and Complaining about the Football Program

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

azgreg

Re: Fire RR

Post by azgreg »

Alieberman wrote:I really don't see RR getting fired mid season.
i agree. However, once the ASSu game is over all bets are off then bring on the young mid major firebrand.
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

Alieberman wrote:I really don't see RR getting fired mid season.
In fact I wouldn't LET him leave unless he agrees to drop a year off his contract.

Otherwise I will not only make him finish coaching this year out, I will make him come back next year and coach the entire year to finish his coaching career off forever.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

It seemed RichRod almost wanted to lose Saturday with his poor handling of QBs and RBs. No way anyone outside of RichRod thought Dawkins should handle the UA's last drive.

I really don't think that's the case, but if RichRod is tanking the season in order to get a nice fat check from the UA and head back to the broadcast booth with a high 7 figure check from the UA, that is just cause to fire him without paying him a dime.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

He's not a dumb guy. After last year's disaster and the recruiting falling off a cliff and fan interest plummeting he probably knew he would have to put in way too much effort to right the ship. Not impossible that he's subtly tanking this season to get fired with his golden parachute and retire to the broadcast booth or just general retirement.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
CatMG

Post by CatMG »

Now THAT is depressing.
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

i've been on record for a few years now saying RR is here till the end of his contract. I still think he will be.

byrne leaving only cemented that thought in my head actually, because if anyone was going to can RR and be able to get around the $$ hit that would crate, byrne was. but since he high-tailed it outta town, and we don't exactly have nike-founder money flowing in, RR is staying put till the end of the contract.

i just dont see how we can afford to get rid of the guy.
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

No way we can afford for the program to have him here through 2019. The damage that would cause would nearly take decades to recover from. Better to lose a few millions now than destroy the program until 2035.

OSUCat

Post by OSUCat »

Didn't Byrne leaving actually open new revenue doors since at least one person wasn't going to give to Bryne?
Formerly Lynx Rufus.
tgrumpy2

Post by tgrumpy2 »

ASUHATER! wrote:No way we can afford for the program to have him here through 2019. The damage that would cause would nearly take decades to recover from. Better to lose a few millions now than destroy the program until 2035.

Oh God give it a break already. It only took us about four years to recover from Makevic and that guy was Satan. 2035?...sheesh. LOL. And look at the gossip fly now. Oh he's tanking the season on purpose. Yea that's it, he wants to be fired because every coach wants that. When RR was pissed on the sidelines during that game, it wasn't because the team was doing good. You should listen to yourselves for crying out loud. lol
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

If we owe him 6M after this year but we get Stevens to let us use the value of the retention shares then it is a drop in the bucket
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
azpenguin

Post by azpenguin »

tgrumpy2 wrote:
ASUHATER! wrote:No way we can afford for the program to have him here through 2019. The damage that would cause would nearly take decades to recover from. Better to lose a few millions now than destroy the program until 2035.

Oh God give it a break already. It only took us about four years to recover from Makevic and that guy was Satan. 2035?...sheesh. LOL. And look at the gossip fly now. Oh he's tanking the season on purpose. Yea that's it, he wants to be fired because every coach wants that. When RR was pissed on the sidelines during that game, it wasn't because the team was doing good. You should listen to yourselves for crying out loud. lol
I especially enjoy the people saying the RR needs to give money back on his contract. That's how contracts work, yeah, sure.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

tgrumpy2 wrote:

Open your eyes and see what is happening. If you can't then you're a lost cause. Fire RR.

Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

^^^ This in spades... not sure why this is so hard for some to understand. I don't even think we need Stevens' approval. IIRC, those shares were gifted to the AD and can be used at their discretion.

The last time RR had consecutive winning conference records, George W Bush was in is 2nd term and Jordan Spieth was a freshman in High School.

Cue for someone to tell me I need to read '3 & Out'. LOL
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

azcat49 wrote:If we owe him 6M after this year but we get Stevens to let us use the value of the retention shares then it is a drop in the bucket
If my ignorance of how the shares were given/structured/whatever means that we have the money sitting there to be used, then that's fantastic news as far as I'm concerned. I simply didn't realize we can use those shares in that manner.
OSUCat wrote:Didn't Byrne leaving actually open new revenue doors since at least one person wasn't going to give to Bryne?
I'm not aware of this situation, but to be frank, I kind of purposely avoid diving too deep into such topics any more. If Byrne leaving actually opened up more revenue in the form of donations, that would be a pleasant surprise to me :)
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

ASUHATER! wrote:
tgrumpy2 wrote:

Open your eyes and see what is happening. If you can't then you're a lost cause. Fire RR.
I mean it won't destroy the program until 2035 lol, but yes the quicker he goes the better off the program will be.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

OSUCat wrote:Didn't Byrne leaving actually open new revenue doors since at least one person wasn't going to give to Bryne?
I recall reading some poster saying as much with regards primarily to Arte Moreno (?), but I guess it's just a matter of waiting to see if that chicken ever comes home to roost or not.
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

Was Arte's main problem w Byrne that he was an asu alum?
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

NYCat wrote:Was Arte's main problem w Byrne that he was an asu alum?
*shrugs* I guess. Either way I hope the Moreno thing is legit, because we need some real deep pockets here to help us.
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

There is a small group of Arizona "investors" who are putting up the money to get RR out by December is a small tidbit that I heard in passing.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

I know he didn't get all of his retention bonus so there should be some extra money there.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Hell buying out RR is the least of our concerns financially. I'm more concerned with who the hell is going to donate to help us 1. Fix Arizona Stadium 2. Finish renovating McKale 3. Renovate Hillenbrand 4. Pay for new swimming pool 5. Keep Sean Miller happy for eternity.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

ChooChooCat wrote:
NYCat wrote:Was Arte's main problem w Byrne that he was an asu alum?
*shrugs* I guess. Either way I hope the Moreno thing is legit, because we need some real deep pockets here to help us.
Was Moreno a big contributor before Byrne? I don't remember any significant gifts from him in the past.
ChooChooCat wrote:Hell buying out RR is the least of our concerns financially. I'm more concerned with who the hell is going to donate to help us 1. Fix Arizona Stadium 2. Finish renovating McKale 3. Renovate Hillenbrand 4. Pay for new swimming pool 5. Keep Sean Miller happy for eternity.
You forgot the indoor practice facility.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Chicat wrote: Was Moreno a big contributor before Byrne? I don't remember any significant gifts from him in the past.
Can't say I recall him ever being one truthfully.
Chicat wrote: You forgot the indoor practice facility.
I've heard financing is already in place there, so I'm not as concerned about this one. It's a done deal either way.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Moreno is not a big donor, period, and especially not to the UA. Multi-billionaire, and can only donate just over 1 mil per year?

https://www.insidephilanthropy.com/sout ... rants.html" target="_blank

Moreno and his wife, Carole, move their philanthropy through the Moreno Family Foundation, which gave a little over $1.2 million in a recently reported tax year. Some of the Morenos' philanthropy focuses on Southern California, but a good portion of their giving via their foundation supports Arizona, particularly the Greater Phoenix Area.
Carcassdragger

Post by Carcassdragger »

I think RR will be let go right after the Oregon game. This will be our 7th loss and will ensure a losing season. I sure hope not though. He's a good coach who made some mistakes.

The race will be on to get Chip Kelly by then.
2020 BEARDOWN WILDCATS RAP Champion
2018 BEARDOWN WILDCATS SURVIVAL POOL Champion
2017 BEARDOWN WILDCATS RAP Champion
2013 GOAZCATS SURVIVAL POOL Champion
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

carcassdragger wrote:I think RR will be let go right after the Oregon game. This will be our 7th loss and will ensure a losing season. I sure hope not though. He's a good coach who made some mistakes.

Chip Kelly is never coming to Arizona. Ever.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

ChooChooCat wrote:Hell buying out RR is the least of our concerns financially. I'm more concerned with who the hell is going to donate to help us 1. Fix Arizona Stadium 2. Finish renovating McKale 3. Renovate Hillenbrand 4. Pay for new swimming pool 5. Keep Sean Miller happy for eternity.
#5 should be #1. The rest is worthy.

The big issue is with Arizona Stadium in bad shape, no IPF and no home recruiting base, if we fire RR, how much desirability do we offer a replacement?
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

We all know that attendance is going to tumble. Heeke needs money to accomplish and retain his job. RR is impeding that process.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:

The big issue is with Arizona Stadium in bad shape, no IPF and no home recruiting base, if we fire RR, how much desirability do we offer a replacement?
True, but #1 and #2 do cost the most.

There's really no good reason the state of Arizona should have two major conference schools quite frankly. AZ and ASU are just stealing funds away from each other in athletics and it's dumb, but alas ASU is renovating their stadium for 9 figures and we'll be doing the same, because quite frankly we don't have a choice. It's do this or join the WCC.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

chiefzona wrote:
carcassdragger wrote:I think RR will be let go right after the Oregon game. This will be our 7th loss and will ensure a losing season. I sure hope not though. He's a good coach who made some mistakes.

Give me Derek Mason or Tee Martin.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

chiefzona wrote:We all know that attendance is going to tumble. Heeke needs money to accomplish and retain his job. RR is impeding that process.
Attendance won't drive facility improvement. Also, attendance isn't going to be triggered by an early firing.

Heeke needs to earn his job right now by trying to drive interest in this season regardless of the product and simultaneously driving fundraising for the projects that need to happen. I know you like to blame RR, but the fans ain't coming out for an interim coach any more than for RR. The idea of an interim coach with a depleted roster...yeah, no one wants to watch that.

If we want upgrades, the process has to start now.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

ChooChooCat wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:

True, but #1 and #2 do cost the most.

There's really no good reason the state of Arizona should have two major conference schools quite frankly. AZ and ASU are just stealing funds away from each other in athletics and it's dumb, but alas ASU is renovating their stadium for 9 figures and we'll be doing the same, because quite frankly we don't have a choice. It's do this or join the WCC.
I think ASU's renovation is the unspoken hurdle that really hurts our renovation efforts. That pulls money from any renovation efforts we could get into, and the second in line always gets scraps.
tgrumpy2

Post by tgrumpy2 »

ASUHATER! wrote:
tgrumpy2 wrote:

You've become a total lunatic. Do you really believe the stuff coming off your keyboard? He's tanking the season? Maybe that's something you'd do because you have no pride in yourself and you don't mind going out a loser. I don't think that's in RR's makeup. My eyes are open. I'm pretty certain RR is going to be gone at the end of the season but a part of me still holds out the hope of being at least a .500 team and I'll hold that hope until they show me they won't be even though that hope is a very slim one. Even the most revered Dick Tomey got a chance to right his ship once and he did it. As far as I'm concerned the bowl games and a Southern Division title gives him that right.
tgrumpy2

Post by tgrumpy2 »

chiefzona wrote:There is a small group of Arizona "investors" who are putting up the money to get RR out by December is a small tidbit that I heard in passing.

There you go again Chief. You put that stuff out there with no intention of ever backing it up with who told you that.
MrMeow

Post by MrMeow »

chiefzona wrote:

I saw Chip Kelly the commentator on t.v. over the weekend. Looks like his next stop should be Jenny Craig or Weight Watchers.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:Also, attendance isn't going to be triggered by an early firing.
I was curious to see how home attendance changed during the final Mike Stoops season, when he was fired after 6 games.

NAU: 52K
Stanford: 50K
Oregon 56K
--Firing--
UCLA: 47K
Utah: 50K
ULL: 39K (strange scheduling last game of the season, even after ASU)

Mackovic was fired after 5 games.
UTEP: 40K
LSU: 46K
Oregon: 40K
TCU: 41K
--Firing--
UCLA: 44K
UW: 48K
USC: 39K

So apparently attendance isn't affected one way or the other.

2017 attendance:
NAU: 44K
UH: 43K
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Merkin wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:Also, attendance isn't going to be triggered by an early firing.
I was curious to see how home attendance changed during the final Mike Stoops season, when he was fired after 6 games.

NAU: 52K
Stanford: 50K
Oregon 56K
--Firing--
UCLA: 47K
Utah: 50K
ULL: 39K (strange scheduling last game of the season, even after ASU)

Mackovic was fired after 5 games.
UTEP: 40K
LSU: 46K
Oregon: 40K
TCU: 41K
--Firing--
UCLA: 44K
UW: 48K
USC: 39K

So apparently attendance isn't affected one way or the other.

2017 attendance:
NAU: 44K
UH: 43K
Good research. That's essentially my point, that fans aren't all of a sudden going to come out for an interim head coach. I think that's more some posters here that dislike RR. The idea that the firing will generate revenue by revitalizing attendance isn't likely. The on field product won't be changing much. A sexy new coach can move the needle, but that isn't happening until next year.
azpenguin

Post by azpenguin »

Those attendance figures... I'd say there were more people at the ULL game than the UCLA game in 2011. Damn near entire sections were empty for UCLA. And then AZ blew them the hell out, there was a brawl before half, the streaker. Most entertaining game of the year.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

UAEebs86 wrote:

I know he didn't get all of his retention bonus so there should be some extra money there.
It looks like he didn't get any of it.
RazorsEdgeAZ

Post by RazorsEdgeAZ »

azgreg wrote:
UAEebs86 wrote:

It looks like he didn't get any of it.
Half of Byrne's forfeited units went to Sean Miller. Know recently Candrea and coach Johnson received some units
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

I know he's not a young guy but I always wondered why Rocky long didn't get more looks at the P5 level.
wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

azgreg wrote:I know he's not a young guy but I always wondered why Rocky long didn't get more looks at the P5 level.
Just off the top of my head, I don't think his run at UNM was all that great. He did beat Stoops, tho.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

wyo-cat wrote:
azgreg wrote:I know he's not a young guy but I always wondered why Rocky long didn't get more looks at the P5 level.
Just off the top of my head, I don't think his run at UNM was all that great. He did beat Stoops, tho.
He took them to 5 bowls while being bowl eligible 7 straight years and he's done a great job at SDSU.
Sid

Post by Sid »

chiefzona wrote:There is a small group of Arizona "investors" who are putting up the money to get RR out by December is a small tidbit that I heard in passing.
Chief, im curious if you have heard anything regarding Chuck?

Thanks!
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Sid wrote:

Thanks!

Chuck is a life long position coach except for one year as a DC afterwards he was fired. Same with Ricky Hunley, a lifelong position coach. There is a reason they have never been a head coach at any level.

Besides, Chuck doesn't (and can't) do any recruiting. Is he ready for the 70 hour work weeks and all the travel?

Cats need young blood as HC, with HCing experience.
splitsecond

Post by splitsecond »

I am not one to jump on the fire RR bandwagon, especially after 2 games.

But my god, the coaching at the end of the game was incredibly reminiscent of Tomey's last days at Arizona. Completely checked out and lifeless.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

splitsecond wrote:I am not one to jump on the fire RR bandwagon, especially after 2 games.

But my god, the coaching at the end of the game was incredibly reminiscent of Tomey's last days at Arizona. Completely checked out and lifeless.

What gives you the impression he is checked out. You realize that the likely number 1 pick in the 2019 draft was playing on Houston's d line right? UA won't face a DLineman nearly that good the rest of the season.
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
Sid

Post by Sid »

Merkin wrote:
Sid wrote:

Thanks!

Chuck is a life long position coach except for one year as a DC afterwards he was fired. Same with Ricky Hunley, a lifelong position coach. There is a reason they have never been a head coach at any level.

Besides, Chuck doesn't (and can't) do any recruiting. Is he ready for the 70 hour work weeks and all the travel?

Cats need young blood as HC, with HCing experience.
My bad. I was actually thinking more about Chuck playing a bigger role on defense now that I've had time to simmer down. Yates has mentioned he wants a HC gig, will he stick around if and when we go a different route?
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

Merkin wrote:It seemed RichRod almost wanted to lose Saturday with his poor handling of QBs and RBs. No way anyone outside of RichRod thought Dawkins should handle the UA's last drive.

I really don't think that's the case, but if RichRod is tanking the season in order to get a nice fat check from the UA and head back to the broadcast booth with a high 7 figure check from the UA, that is just cause to fire him without paying him a dime.
I am the one guy, I guess. I was sitting in the north end zone directly in the line of sight of Tate on that last interception. He had made a couple of passes on that drive that reminded us why he doesn't start, but the INT was particularly awful. He stared at the receiver, went to throw and someone filled the passing lane. He held up, still tracking the slanting receiver, staring at him the whole way, then gathered and threw. It was crazy...if i had wanted to, I could have ran the 5 rows to the field and through the end zone and picked the ball off myself. I told my wife I didn't know if I had ever seen a worse throw.

When Dawkins came out, the 27 people left around me booed, but I thought he gave us the best chance. Tate can truck people, but he actually throws worse than Dawkins. He makes a good throw then sprays 7.
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

As for the hyperbole here...jesus. I agree he should go, but you cannot dismiss what actually happened at Michigan (yeah, read "Three and Out". That UM alum/historian was just lying his ass off...made it all up). It is possible to believe RichRod has to go without making him into the worst coach ever. You don't have to somehow believe John Bacon was writing #fakenews about the program he is the go to historian about to understand things have gone nuts and RichRod needs to be fired. He is still the coach that won 10 games with a freshman QB and RB, that beat Oregon in back to back years, etc...you don't have to trash all of that to recognize it is time to end this era. You don't need to make up narratives that this life long coach that has lived and died with every game result is losing games on purpose to get paid. It is just pathetic. He needs to go...the stadium told us that. This is a business...and he has lost the customer.

But my God...the conspiracy bullshit here and narrative creating. It isn't necessary...the real story is bad enough. He failed to win consistently at your school...he didn't kill your family.

I had heard that there was the kind of preliminary discussion that kicks off a process like this with an AD and donors that there was interest in removing RR if he lost this Houston game. I am going to assume those forces within our inner circle are sticking to their word and things are already moving. That doesn't mean he is getting fired now...but I believe, based on what I heard weeks ago, that it is done...the necessary discussions about money and what direction to take are already underway.