New Coach Hot Board

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Chicat

Re: New Coach Hot Board

Post by Chicat »

Merkin wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 10:26 am What say you Machina?
Anthony Pierce is an intriguing guy who doesn't exist.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Chicat wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 10:42 am
Anthony Pierce is an intriguing guy who doesn't exist.
He'd be an upgrade over Sumlin.
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

I like the Hill or Brennan choices. We need someone with a MAC conference-esque background imo. Those guys seem to know how to do more with less and it feels like they always field competitive teams. I love watching their conference play.

I actually like Leipold from Buffalo. He started out slow but in the last 3 years he's 23-9 and this year's team just cracked the top 25. Don't think he has any ties to Arizona/West Coast so more than likely a team like Illinois will scoop him up but he would also be an excellent choice.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

DrWildcat

Post by DrWildcat »

azgreg wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 10:57 am
I would be good making Salave'a DC. Not sure about HC.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
TheCatInTheHat

Post by TheCatInTheHat »

ChooChooCat wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 10:19 am Arizona Football = Arizona State Basketball. Any retread hired at these schools wash out. Any up and comer either washes out or succeeds and moves on. That is our destiny and there's nothing wrong with it. Only in one case though do you see success.
That would certainly seem to be the case with Young and Smith. Mason and Tomey had success, but different circumstances for how they ended up, and Stoops had a learning curve and a lot of digging out to do. The others obviously fit the retread mold, and I like the comparison. My view is that you need to hit the ground running with a staff in place, which works against any sentimental lean toward Salave'a. He'd have to assemble a staff (almost none of whom would follow him from Oregon.) So, Brennan makes sense, particularly if higher assistant coach pay incentivizes much of their staff to follow him here. One downside would be if they promote one of his assistants and a number of them decide to stay there, but I'm not too worried about that.
MountainCat

Post by MountainCat »

UAEebs86 wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 11:21 am
If I hadn't won an NFL game this year (0-13 thus far), I would jump at any open position of my choice while wondering why I haven't been canned yet.
No Bandwagon Here! Always a Cat!
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

An NFL head coach? A current coach?

Oh Jason, you’re such a tease...

But please let it be Marvin Lewis.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Carcassdragger

Post by Carcassdragger »

TheCat wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 9:34 am Brenan was 14-29 before this year. Really? This is the top guy. His 6-0 record this year could be the result of keeping his team healthy during COVID while other could not. I think this is a high risk hire but we are not exactly a sure thing destination. Not sure where to go.......
This. Exactly.
2020 BEARDOWN WILDCATS RAP Champion
2018 BEARDOWN WILDCATS SURVIVAL POOL Champion
2017 BEARDOWN WILDCATS RAP Champion
2013 GOAZCATS SURVIVAL POOL Champion
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Merkin

Post by Merkin »

azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Try to keep up Merk.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Merkin wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 11:44 am
That would be a very solid move for DC. I'm on board with the idea that if we save $ on a HC, some of the savings could go to hiring a high quality OC and DC.
Carcassdragger

Post by Carcassdragger »

No Hill. Really?
2020 BEARDOWN WILDCATS RAP Champion
2018 BEARDOWN WILDCATS SURVIVAL POOL Champion
2017 BEARDOWN WILDCATS RAP Champion
2013 GOAZCATS SURVIVAL POOL Champion
Macho Grande

Post by Macho Grande »

Dave Fipp maybe?
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Getting an up and comer like Brennan or Hill and getting Joe as DC is about the best possible outcome we could hope for at this point.

Is that what Scheer is hinting at?
-JB
RondaeShimmy

Post by RondaeShimmy »

UAEebs86 wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 12:04 pm Getting an up and comer like Brennan or Hill and getting Joe as DC is about the best possible outcome we could hope for at this point.

Brennan with Joe as a probable DC is what he's very clearly hinting at.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

RondaeShimmy wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 12:05 pm
UAEebs86 wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 12:04 pm Getting an up and comer like Brennan or Hill and getting Joe as DC is about the best possible outcome we could hope for at this point.

Brennan with Joe as a probable DC is what he's very clearly hinting at.
I'm most definitely on board with that. Especially since Brennan focused on the offense as an assistant.
TheGreatCatsby

Post by TheGreatCatsby »

That's kind of a unique fact with this coaching search in that one of the potential hires was in McKale, speaking very eloquently in that 2019 Tomey memorial service. He seems smart, self-aware and has a more easy going personality that would thrive in less media intense outlets like Tucson, vs. a major city. San Jose is a major city but it's not like SJSU gets any attention up there, it's largely a commuter school.

I get the 14-29 thing due to those first two years. That's why if hired he won't "win the press conference" universally. I'm with those that are fine with that. It's probably a combination of the program's state wasn't necessarily great, but perhaps he did make some rookie coaching mistakes, lessons learned on somebody else's dime. Maybe it took a few years how to best run a program his way and things start improving. Another counter to the record and one-time only COVID thing is indications are he'll have a good team next year. The players seemed to have bought in and like him. He went 6-0 so far this year and we went 0-5. If he stays there and wins anything over 8 games he's getting multiple P5 job offers next year.

But until we know, other candidates still intrigue me. Been crickets around here for years. A new coach just what we needed.

About the only thing I wish whoever the new coach is goes back to the one thing I did like about the Stoops era, more open fan and media access. You could actually go to the spring and football camp practices. Under RR, they started this secrecy campaign which totally dampens fan enthusiasm. And that was a self-inflicted wound, because it's not like we were hiding anything. On offense, we've basically run one play the last 10 years, a snap to our quarterback who runs an RPO. On defense, an open practice would have actually helped us. The other team's scout would have been intrigued by our unique out-of-position placements, and maybe psyched themselves out that we were going to run some new defense on them and wasted time tinkering with their offense.
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

Carcassdragger wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 11:48 am
No Hill. Really?
The fact that Hill isn't on that list is the most disappointing thing (assuming he actually has been excluded already) to me.

I really think he'd be a great fit here
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

Chicat

Post by Chicat »

PieceOfMeat wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 12:25 pm
No Hill. Really?
The fact that Hill isn't on that list is the most disappointing thing (assuming he actually has been excluded already) to me.

I wouldn’t put any stock in a betting site that doesn’t know Antonio Pierce’s first name or that the chances of him getting the job are worse than mine.

But reading the tea leaves, Hill doesn’t seem to be the first choice and there seems to be a lot of mutual interest between Brennan and UA.
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

Chicat wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 12:32 pm
PieceOfMeat wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 12:25 pm
No Hill. Really?

I wouldn’t put any stock in a betting site that doesn’t know Antonio Pierce’s first name or that the chances of him getting the job are worse than mine.

But reading the tea leaves, Hill doesn’t seem to be the first choice and there seems to be a lot of mutual interest between Brennan and UA.
Ah, I'm a bit distracted today, I thought that was scheer giving odds on candidates. Didn't realize it was a betting site.

Still think Hill would be a great fit here though, even if he'd be a less win-the-presser choice.
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

Chicat

Post by Chicat »

I texted a buddy of mine who used to work in the AD and still has some friends there to ask what the plan is for hiring the new coach. He just got back to me.

Him: "Yeah, I talked to _____ but I can't say anything."
Me: "C'mon, that's lame!"
Him: "LOL, sorry. You know how it is."
Me: "How about a super vague hint?"
Him: "What are they saying on your site?"
Me: "Brennan as HC, Salavea as DC"
Him: "Can't confirm that but I'm not denying either"
Me: "Any worries?"
Him: "Yeah, people think Dave might have some super secret guy he's going after"
Me: "FML. A retread?"
Him: "No comment"
Me: "Fuck"
Him: :lol:
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Chicat wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 12:58 pm I texted a buddy of mine who used to work in the AD and still has some friends there to ask what the plan is for hiring the new coach. He just got back to me.

Him: "Yeah, people think Dave might have some super secret guy he's going after"
Lol Yay Dan Quinn
RondaeShimmy

Post by RondaeShimmy »

ChooChooCat wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 1:33 pm
Chicat wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 12:58 pm I texted a buddy of mine who used to work in the AD and still has some friends there to ask what the plan is for hiring the new coach. He just got back to me.

Lol Yay Dan Quinn
jfc
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

-JB
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

If it's Quinn we riot.
-JB
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Quinn? See my earlier post...
Alieberman wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 10:24 am Here's a helpful hint on hiring:

Never a hire an employee who is currently making millions of dollars for getting fired.

They generally don't have much incentive to actually do a good job.
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

NOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

UAEebs86 wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 1:52 pm If it's Quinn we riot.
Gonna take me a second to get to Tucson so don’t start without me.
AzCatFan2

Post by AzCatFan2 »

For those worried about Brennan's W/L record, he took over a team that went 4-8, and didn't leave him much in the cupboard. And some of the talent that was left never bought into Brennan's culture. Throw in this was Brennan's first head coaching job and yes, he made some mistakes, and first two years were rough. But by year three, they went 5-7 and lost some very close games, including a 3-point loss to Nevada, 2-point loss to Hawaii, and 3-point loss to UNLV. This year, SJSU have won these close games, with a young team that most people think will be even better next year.

Remember when Stoops took over. We went 3-8 his first two years between the lack of talent and yes, the mistakes Stoops made as a rookie head coach. But he was rebuilding the program, and years three and four were better, we went bowling in year 5, and missed out on a Rose Bowl by about 30 seconds, in a season Gronk didn't play a single minute. Stoops' sideline antics and his toxicity with top assistants doomed his tenure in Tucson, but this is the kind of rebuild we're looking at again. And with Brennan, we'd be doing it with a coach that already made the rookie mistakes on SJSU's dime.

I doubt anyone is going to come in and win next year. We need too much of a culture change for that to happen. RR lucked into Matt Scott, a perfect QB for his system, plus Kadeem Carey. That plus luck and we won 8 his first year. Unlikely to happen again, but we can get a guy that can get us to competitive in year three, and winning big in year 4, with a culture that will perpetuate, we will have found the right guy. I firmly believe that can be Brennan.
CatsbyAZ

Post by CatsbyAZ »

azcat49 wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 4:31 pm Oregon DC or Brennan. If we must go experience go after Justin Wilcox who may not like the state of the Cal athletic department.

After that to me go after a Cat alum who is a coordinator or an Associate head coach
Wilcox is worth reaching out to but going from Cal to Arizona is such a lateral move I doubt he listens to anything we might have to offer. At some point an SEC or Big 10 school will reach out and that's what Wilcox is ultimately hoping for (and deserves).

Wilcox would be a dream hire, IMO; his job of getting the Cal program's head above water is very underrated. Point is, finding the next Wilcox is what I'm hoping for. Not a Sarkisian who's already been canned by two Pac 12 schools. Or freaking Nueheisal who's name I keep hearing.
“The force behind the movement of time is a mourning that will not be comforted.” author Marilynne Robinson
TheCatInTheHat

Post by TheCatInTheHat »

AzCatFan2 wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 2:57 pm For those worried about Brennan's W/L record, he took over a team that went 4-8, and didn't leave him much in the cupboard. And some of the talent that was left never bought into Brennan's culture. Throw in this was Brennan's first head coaching job and yes, he made some mistakes, and first two years were rough. But by year three, they went 5-7 and lost some very close games, including a 3-point loss to Nevada, 2-point loss to Hawaii, and 3-point loss to UNLV. This year, SJSU have won these close games, with a young team that most people think will be even better next year.
With apologies to Dick Tomey fans, I consider Larry Smith to be the best coach in Arizona history. He inherited a 4-7 team at Tulane. He went 9-24 in his first three years there, playing LSU and a number of other SEC teams and improving each year. His final year there, he beat #13 Stanford, #19 SMU and LSU and went bowling with a 9-3 record. Then, he came to Arizona, and he improved in each of his seven years here, culminating in a Top Ten (Coaches Poll) finish in 1986. But, if you looked at his overall record at Tulane, or considered his 9-3 final season record there a fluke, that might not look so great. But, that's what happens when you're starting out and take over a bad team.
IrishAzCat

Post by IrishAzCat »

Gus Malzahn
btfd16

Post by btfd16 »

Back after quite a hiatus. Just got done reading most posts. The scary thing is, any coach that comes in, has to do a full rebuild with no money... that's hard to do. If we're not careful, we could easily be the new Oregon St, Vandy, Kansas...

You have talked me into being okay with Hill.

Still not sold on Brennan. I'd be okay with it, but not stoked. Even after the positive posts, I still can't get over the negatives.

Salave'a is okay and would energize, but can he really handle a full rebuild? Also our allegiance might give him more leeway than we would others. Absolutely no way in hell he takes DC. That's a demotion.

Just go ahead and off me if it's Dan Quinn..... although being a meme team isn't the worst thing I guess. Still relevant huh?! Right.... *cries*

No Dillingham. Screw Pierce. Leipold/Lewis no west coast ties. No Harrell. NO RHOADS NO CECIL. NOOOO RETREADS.

Yes Harsin, but no shot, it's a demotion.

Marvin Lewis vs Herm Edwards?!!!!!!! (I'm joking.. please be joking)

I mean... what a terrible time in Arizona football... laughing to keep from crying.
prh

Post by prh »

Brennan over Hill makes a lot of sense if you are trying to bring Salave'a along as DC. Hill also handled DC duties at Weber State, so I think he'd want his own guy or be more hands on there, which I doubt would be so appealing to Joe.

I just hope that the boosters do like they have with basketball. Tell Heeke that he is guiding the ship but ultimately not the one in final control. Otherwise this may be his last masterpiece of destroying our athletic department.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Interesting matchup of head coaches in the Old Pueblo.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Chicat wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 4:03 pm

This game is in Vegas for the right to play in Tucson.

I misread it too when I first posted to the Bowl Season thread.
-JB
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

Chicat wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 4:03 pm Interesting matchup of head coaches in the Old Pueblo.
Heh, wouldn't have had "I'll be watching Boise v SJSU football match this Saturday" on my card a couple days ago.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Salave'a ain't coming to Tucson to be a DC for anybody.
AzCatFan2

Post by AzCatFan2 »

TheCatInTheHat wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 3:12 pm
AzCatFan2 wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 2:57 pm For those worried about Brennan's W/L record, he took over a team that went 4-8, and didn't leave him much in the cupboard. And some of the talent that was left never bought into Brennan's culture. Throw in this was Brennan's first head coaching job and yes, he made some mistakes, and first two years were rough. But by year three, they went 5-7 and lost some very close games, including a 3-point loss to Nevada, 2-point loss to Hawaii, and 3-point loss to UNLV. This year, SJSU have won these close games, with a young team that most people think will be even better next year.
With apologies to Dick Tomey fans, I consider Larry Smith to be the best coach in Arizona history. He inherited a 4-7 team at Tulane. He went 9-24 in his first three years there, playing LSU and a number of other SEC teams and improving each year. His final year there, he beat #13 Stanford, #19 SMU and LSU and went bowling with a 9-3 record. Then, he came to Arizona, and he improved in each of his seven years here, culminating in a Top Ten (Coaches Poll) finish in 1986. But, if you looked at his overall record at Tulane, or considered his 9-3 final season record there a fluke, that might not look so great. But, that's what happens when you're starting out and take over a bad team.
Exactly. Larry Smith went from losing his first few years at Tulane, turned them into a winner, then came to Arizona and built Arizona football as many of us have come to know. Tomey built upon what Larry Smith left, and had Smith not left for SC, who knows. But that's water long gone under the bridge.

Brennan's path looks a lot like Smith's. Building a success at a lower level D1 school. And many a successful coach had a first few, difficult years at a lower school, before building a winner, and then getting the promotion. Jim Tressel's first three years at Youngstown State, he had a record of 14-20, before posting six straight seasons in the playoffs.

No more retreads. No more reclamation projects. We need a guy who has built a program at a low D1 or a subdivision school, and are still climbing their in their career. Brennan and Hill fit this bill.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

UAEebs86 wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 4:05 pm
Chicat wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 4:03 pm

This game is in Vegas for the right to play in Tucson.

I misread it too when I first posted to the Bowl Season thread.
Whoops, my bad. Still gonna tune in.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

What does Joe make at Nike?
Are they not going to keep him?
prh

Post by prh »

Postmaster wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 5:06 pm What does Joe make at Nike?
Are they not going to keep him?
Actually good strategy for Cristobal to keep re-arranging deck chairs up there so nobody realizes he's the underachieving problem
In re UofA

Post by In re UofA »

Brennan seems like the right type of gamble for the program. The question now is will he have a bag man so we can get talented players?