2017 recruits/commitment thread

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

UAEebs86

Re: 2017 recruits/commitment thread

Post by UAEebs86 »

Not sure if this is a preferred walk-on or schollie. My son played at Cienega with his two older brothers Edgar and Christian who play for Army.
Good kids and family.

We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

He's got an offer from Army where someone by the name of Edgar Poe went. Any relation?
MrMeow

Post by MrMeow »

azgreg wrote:He's got an offer from Army where someone by the name of Edgar Poe went. Any relation?
Is he from Baltimore?
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

The Poe family live out in NW Tucson or Marana. In fact Army had two kids from Tucson that contributed in a big way this year. Both had great games against Navy.
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

azcat49 wrote:The Poe family live out in NW Tucson or Marana. In fact Army had two kids from Tucson that contributed in a big way this year. Both had great games against Navy.

LOL - did anybody read my post?

Edgar Allen Poe and Christian Poe and Dakota Poe are all brothers who played at Cienega in Vail.
Edgar and Christian are both at Army - Edgar was a senior this year. Christian is a redshirt sophomore.

I used to say that Edgar should have gone to Empire High School out here - they are the Ravens. :)
-JB
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

azgreg wrote:
ramcat wrote:
MrMeow wrote:Khalil Tate is going to have to improve his accuracy to make a serious run at the starting quarterback job. He overthrew several long balls Saturday. QB coach Rod Smith said he's been working with Tate on his footwork. “There are times when he doesn’t transfer his weight at all when he throws,” Smith said. “He jumps when he throws or he’s off-balance when he throws. I just think that’s from him having years and years of being able to get away with it in high school, being a better athlete than most people on the field. Now he’s got to be more disciplined; he’s got to be more structured.”

This is from this morning's Star regarding observations from the first spring practice. After a full year in the system, including active playing time, it is interesting Tate still displays these basic mistakes. These mistakes have nothing to do with understanding RR's system, they are just basic mistakes that should have been overcome a long time ago. Is this poor coaching or a (very) slow learning kid?
Sure seems Tate could use a summer of work at a QB camp.
Camp Chiefzona?

Indeed.
wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

UAEebs86 wrote:
azcat49 wrote:The Poe family live out in NW Tucson or Marana. In fact Army had two kids from Tucson that contributed in a big way this year. Both had great games against Navy.

LOL - did anybody read my post?

Edgar Allen Poe and Christian Poe and Dakota Poe are all brothers who played at Cienega in Vail.
Edgar and Christian are both at Army - Edgar was a senior this year. Christian is a redshirt sophomore.

I used to say that Edgar should have gone to Empire High School out here - they are the Ravens. :)
Never more...
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

Who is going to be brave and start the 2018 thread? Kudos to whomever does it in advance.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

chiefzona wrote:Who is going to be brave and start the 2018 thread? Kudos to whomever does it in advance.
Already have one, but it needs to be stickied.
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=3671" target="_blank
whatisee

Post by whatisee »

6'3" 315 DL
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

http://tucson.com/sports/arizonawildcat ... 1567d.html" target="_blank

Rodriguez said new defensive tackle Sione Taufahema is a "great kid" with a lot of natural strength, but he needs to get in better shape. The junior-college transfer is listed at 6-1, 330. “He probably has to take a pause when he walks up to the cafeteria if he takes the stairs,” Rodriguez said. “He’s probably taking the elevator. I’m going to suggest he takes the stairs from now until he retires.”
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

MrMeow

Post by MrMeow »

This morning it was reported UA is in the running for Brandon Harris, a graduate transfer QB from LSU.

With RichRod's offense as difficult to learn as it is, would someone please explain why UA would be interested in a QB with one year of eligibility. It's unlikely he would have seen the field at LSU or he wouldn't transfer, but RichRod wants him. Why? To throw the ball around in practice? In addition to Dawkins and Tate, can't RhettRod and Lane do that?

I still question the wisdom and ethics of RichRod giving (wasting) a full scholarship in his kid, but this is a real head scratcher.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

MrMeow wrote:This morning it was reported UA is in the running for Brandon Harris, a graduate transfer QB from LSU.

With RichRod's offense as difficult to learn as it is, would someone please explain why UA would be interested in a QB with one year of eligibility. It's unlikely he would have seen the field at LSU or he wouldn't transfer, but RichRod wants him. Why? To throw the ball around in practice? In addition to Dawkins and Tate, can't RhettRod and Lane do that?

I still question the wisdom and ethics of RichRod giving (wasting) a full scholarship in his kid, but this is a real head scratcher.
nm... wrong stats listed
Last edited by Merkin on Tue Mar 14, 2017 8:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
cordera89

Post by cordera89 »

MrMeow wrote:This morning it was reported UA is in the running for Brandon Harris, a graduate transfer QB from LSU.

It probably for more depth in QB position. But do you really think Brandon Harris would Consider Arizona as his final destination to end his college career at. If he was smart enough, He should be choosing school in Group of 5 conference or fine a school that in need of a QB.

If RR offense was that difficult to run? how did Matt Scott, BJ Denker, Anu Solomon and Now Brandon Dawkins manage to flourish it decently. His Offense has to be run efficiency. If Brandon Harris decide to come to Arizona, It in favor of the style of offense.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

His LSU bio:

http://www.lsusports.net/ViewArticle.db ... =209392667" target="_blank

CAREER
Played in 25 games over three years with the Tigers from 2014-16 … Started 15 times, including all 12 games as a sophomore in 2015 … Posted a 10-5 mark as a starter, going 0-1 in 2014, 9-3 in 2015 and 1-1 in 2016 … Finished career completing 187-of-347 passes for 2,756 yards, 20 TDs, and 10 interceptions … Added 370 rushing yards and seven rushing touchdowns … Opted to transfer from LSU for his senior season … Will graduate from LSU in the summer of 2017.
cordera89

Post by cordera89 »

Merkin wrote:

Dude is an excellent runner, in 2015 he started every game and averaged 179.5 ypg on the ground.

http://247sports.com/player/brandon-harris-28454" target="_blank

But then again, he did have a SEC size OL making holes for him. Seems like a marginal passer too.

Already have 2 of those in Tate and Dawkins.
But the fact that he ran under a pro style offense. How would he fare in a spread offense? He might tear it up.
MrMeow

Post by MrMeow »

azgreg wrote:

His LSU bio:

http://www.lsusports.net/ViewArticle.db ... ID=2093926" target="_blank

CAREER
Played in 25 games over three years with the Tigers from 2014-16 … Started 15 times, including all 12 games as a sophomore in 2015 … Posted a 10-5 mark as a starter, going 0-1 in 2014, 9-3 in 2015 and 1-1 in 2016 … Finished career completing 187-of-347 passes for 2,756 yards, 20 TDs, and 10 interceptions … Added 370 rushing yards and seven rushing touchdowns … Opted to transfer from LSU for his senior season … Will graduate from LSU in the summer of 2017.
Thanks.

Why is he transferring?

Could he learn and run RichRod's system right away (nobody else has)?

Still a puzzling recruitment to me.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

cordera89 wrote: If RR offense was that difficult to run? how did Matt Scott, BJ Denker, Anu Solomon and Now Brandon Dawkins manage to flourish it decently.
They all had redshirt seasons, or a season as a backup to learn the system.
wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

Matt Scott had only the Spring to get ready.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

wyo-cat wrote:Matt Scott had only the Spring to get ready.
Ah yes, I stand corrected. Scott's redshirt season was as a junior when Foles was QB under Stoops/Kish.
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

As you all know, I take every opportunity but this is not one of them. This would be a good move. Harris would thrive in a Zone Read Option offense and has the qualifications plus athleticism to make it work. Tate and Dawkins are not lighting it up right now and any insurance or possible top option comes into play at this point.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

RR could scale back the offense like he did for Denker and make it real simple until Harris picks it up.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
MrMeow

Post by MrMeow »

Chicat wrote:RR could scale back the offense like he did for Denker and make it real simple until Harris picks it up.
Considering how Anu, Dawkins, and Tate have done, perhaps he should have done/do this anyway. Not to divert my own question about Harris, but does the tail (RichRod's system) wag the dog (QBs), and not very well ? Don't know, but something has been wrong in the QB department for a long time.
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

MrMeow wrote:
Chicat wrote:RR could scale back the offense like he did for Denker and make it real simple until Harris picks it up.
Considering how Anu, Dawkins, and Tate have done, perhaps he should have done/do this anyway. Not to divert my own question about Harris, but does the tail (RichRod's system) wag the dog (QBs), and not very well ? Don't know, but something has been wrong in the QB department for a long time.

I think you already know the answer to that question. It seems like most of you are waking up and figuring it all out. It's about time.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

chiefzona wrote:

As you all know, I take every opportunity but this is not one of them. This would be a good move. Harris would thrive in a Zone Read Option offense and has the qualifications plus athleticism to make it work. Tate and Dawkins are not lighting it up right now and any insurance or possible top option comes into play at this point.
Think RhettRod was more of a waste of a scholarship offer, esp. since he won't see the field, and will transfer out once RichRod gets canned.
MrMeow

Post by MrMeow »

Merkin wrote:
chiefzona wrote:

Think RhettRod was more of a waste of a scholarship offer, esp. since he won't see the field, and will transfer out once RichRod gets canned.
Yes, and perhaps at least a marginal breach of ethics. The coach's kid, who is perhaps less than D-1 talent, who doesn't need the scholarship? I winced at this one.
cordera89

Post by cordera89 »

Merkin wrote:
chiefzona wrote:

Why would that matter thou.
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

Merkin wrote:
chiefzona wrote:

Indeed young Jedi.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

cordera89 wrote: Why would that matter thou.
Taking up a scholarship he didn't need (UA employee children get free tuition besides RichRod being a multimillionaire) where a more deserving student athlete could use the scholarship and later help the UA.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Merkin wrote:
Taking up a scholarship he didn't need (UA employee children get free tuition besides RichRod being a multimillionaire) where a more deserving student athlete could use the scholarship and later help the UA.

Actually they pay 25%
-JB
cordera89

Post by cordera89 »

Merkin wrote:
Merkin I don't think it big fucking deal that RR gave his son is on scholarship.
MrMeow

Post by MrMeow »

UAEebs86 wrote:
Merkin wrote:

Actually they pay 25%
$3,400 for the year, if he's here that long. Someone please tell me the real reason RichRod put his kid on scholarship.
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

MrMeow wrote:
UAEebs86 wrote:
Merkin wrote:

Actually they pay 25%
$3,400 for the year, if he's here that long. Someone please tell me the real reason RichRod put his kid on scholarship.

Rita.
MrMeow

Post by MrMeow »

chiefzona wrote:
MrMeow wrote:
UAEebs86 wrote:
Merkin wrote:

Actually they pay 25%

Rita.
That's a nice clue, Chief, but a little amplification would be appreciated. I know Rita is blonde but .....
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

MrMeow wrote:
chiefzona wrote:
MrMeow wrote:$3,400 for the year, if he's here that long. Someone please tell me the real reason RichRod put his kid on scholarship.

Rita.
That's a nice clue, Chief, but a little amplification would be appreciated. I know Rita is blonde but .....
Ask Greg Hansen once RR leaves.
MrMeow

Post by MrMeow »

chiefzona wrote:
MrMeow wrote:
chiefzona wrote:
MrMeow wrote:$3,400 for the year, if he's here that long. Someone please tell me the real reason RichRod put his kid on scholarship.

Rita.
Coward
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

UAEebs86 wrote:
Merkin wrote:

Actually they pay 25%
Has that always been the case? Thought my sister in law who works at the key shop put my niece through the UA for free.

Maybe my niece had the grades to get the free tuition.

But I do stand corrected, again...
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

i know that employees get like 90% off tuition at the UA.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

MrMeow wrote:
chiefzona wrote:
MrMeow wrote:
chiefzona wrote:

Rita.
Coward
There goes Chiefy again. Telling everyone who will listen that all he does is spit truth. Then when you ask him a simple direct question his peeny shrivels up and his keyboard all of a sudden stops working.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

ASUHATER! wrote:i know that employees get like 90% off tuition at the UA.
For employees and their spouses, tuition is almost free. It's better than a 90% discount. For dependents, it's 75% discount.
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

wyo-cat wrote:
For employees and their spouses, tuition is almost free. It's better than a 90% discount. For dependents, it's 75% discount.

I paid next to nothing for my degree at Arizona.
MrMeow

Post by MrMeow »

chiefzona wrote:
wyo-cat wrote:

Did you get one?
whatisee

Post by whatisee »

We added a kid with no stars and no offers at QB, and you're worried about RR's kid?

Bigger picture here. Missed out on the Florida transfer at Center. He chose NC who lost their 3 year starter. Looks likie we're bound to add a few more JC's to this class. Hopefully they're all on the D-Line
whatisee

Post by whatisee »

we're also in the running for LSU QB transfer Brandon Harris

MrMeow

Post by MrMeow »

whatisee wrote:we're also in the running for LSU QB transfer Brandon Harris

You were taking a nap earlier, right?
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

MrMeow wrote:
chiefzona wrote:
wyo-cat wrote:

Did you get one?

Yep
whatisee

Post by whatisee »

MrMeow wrote:

Trying to start a new conversation after all the negativity and dumpster fire.
MrMeow

Post by MrMeow »

whatisee wrote:
MrMeow wrote:

The board was informed of your "news" about Harris at 6:47 PDT today, which is what woke up this dormant thread.
whatisee

Post by whatisee »

MrMeow wrote:
whatisee wrote:
MrMeow wrote:

The board was informed of your "news" about Harris at 6:47 PDT today, which is what woke up this dormant thread.
Sweet. Thanks for the update.