Arizona Coaching Search

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

ASUHATER!

Re: Arizona Coaching Search

Post by ASUHATER! »

Seems like the consensus is that'll be one of Butch Jones, Kevin sumlin, Les Miles, Yates a number of other OCs or DCs or maybe like Harsin from Boise or Toledo's coach. Given those options I'll take Miles or Sumlin and let them recruit as long as they hire some good young coordinators
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

whatisee wrote:
CalStateTempe wrote:
EastCoastCat wrote:If Miles wants to come to Az we should jump on it and not even think twice. Track record and the guy can recruit. exactly what we need.
Exactly.
he's had many questionable 4th qtr calls at the end of games. Not sold on Les
National championship and lots of 10 win seasons in the sec west are all that you should need to be sold on.

whatisee

Post by whatisee »

Is Les represented by IMG?
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

ChooChooCat wrote:Anybody could recruit to LSU. You can fall out of bed and run into a 5 star recruit. Rich Rod could recruit to Michigan for the very same reason. I doubt Les Miles, who has zero connections to the west a la Rich Rod could recruit half as well to Arizona nor do I think he's young enough to do so.
This. Louisiana produces a ton talent and LSU is the only P5 program in the state.

There isn't much about LSU recruiting that should be an accurate predictor for Arizona.
prh

Post by prh »

Les' big problem is game management (which is typically offensive side of ball) and obviously his offense in general.
Sumlin's big issue is he can't keep a halfway decent QB in the program.

Les has a title and was usually highly competitive in the SEC West.
Sumlin had a good year with Manziel and was mostly not competitive SEC West.

Only advantage for Sumlin is that he recruited AZ pretty well and put Christian Kirk into the NFL. But Les Miles can say he helped Patrick Peterson become an Allpro with the Cardinals (since Arizona recruits probably follow Cards).

I have to think Miles offense is easier to fix than Sumlin keeping his QBs.
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:There isn't much about LSU recruiting that should be an accurate predictor for Arizona.
Agree 100%. There's nothing that happened at LSU recruiting wise that can probably be considered a predictor of anything at Arizona.

A type of track record we'd want to see might be like a guy at Boise that brings in 2/3 star guys but some of those 2/3 star guys end up being more talented than previously thought and all of them develop nicely or very nicely over time.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Does Bruchi have any coaching experience?
CatsbyAZ

Post by CatsbyAZ »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:Anybody could recruit to LSU. You can fall out of bed and run into a 5 star recruit. Rich Rod could recruit to Michigan for the very same reason. I doubt Les Miles, who has zero connections to the west a la Rich Rod could recruit half as well to Arizona nor do I think he's young enough to do so.
This. Louisiana produces a ton talent and LSU is the only P5 program in the state.

There isn't much about LSU recruiting that should be an accurate predictor for Arizona.
I don't think enough of our fans understand this point. Les Miles pulled top 5 recruiting classes left and right because it was LSU. His Ok St classes were adequate, but not LSU's.
Last edited by CatsbyAZ on Wed Jan 03, 2018 1:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“The force behind the movement of time is a mourning that will not be comforted.” author Marilynne Robinson
prh

Post by prh »

CalStateTempe wrote:Does Bruchi have any coaching experience?
Nope
Last edited by prh on Wed Jan 03, 2018 1:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

What is Pops smoking? Yeah, that would really move the attendance needle. SMH

We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

Does he need any in the CEO/glad handler role?

Get some technical advisors to help fill out his $1.5M coordinator/recruiter positions, smile and shake some hands, cash his $40K a month checks and call it a day.
Last edited by SCCats on Wed Jan 03, 2018 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

UAEebs86 wrote:What is Pops smoking? Yeah, that would really move the attendance needle. SMH

egads
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Pops man...no way Jose.
BearDown89

Post by BearDown89 »

azpenguin wrote:While this might not be something everyone would agree with, I think that if there's any substance to the allegations sent to the AG, then this is a situation where you just straight up clean house. Pay buyouts, do what you need, and recognize that you're going to have a couple of bumpy seasons, but hire someone and let them bring in an all new staff. This isn't something you want associated with the program at all.
I do actually like Yates a lot and think he's good. That being said, however, I completely agree with you.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

SCCats wrote:

Get some technical advisors to help fill out his $1.5M coordinator/recruiter positions, smile and shake some hands, cash his $40K a month checks and call it a day.
This I could see working in a way the Herm Edward’s experiment does not.

Proud alum,
No coaching ego that we know off
Use the money for top assistants to move on to coaching positions
Refill the next generation of top assistants

I mean if your going to blow it up and innovate this is the best situation in which to do so.
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

CalStateTempe wrote:
SCCats wrote:

This I could see working in a way the Herm Edward’s experiment does not.

Proud alum,
No coaching ego that we know off
Use the money for top assistants to move on to coaching positions
Refill the next generation of top assistants

I mean if your going to blow it up and innovate this is the best situation in which to do so.
You've got it exactly right. Set the systems we're going to use from coordinator to coordinator (like read/option and 4-3). Set pay high to make them some of the more attractive coordinator positions in the country (like at $1.5M+). Go out and hire the best coordinators for those systems. Give the coordinator great exposure to get a HC job after two or three years. Then find new coordinator that runs that same style for continuity.

That's how you can create an advantage for Arizona football.

We can't win the head coaching game against others that are offering $7.5M a year. So don't play that game. Play your own game, one you can win.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

The players tweeting about Yates and claiming it's in The best interest of the program to listen to the players is making my head hurt. At this point not only do we need a new coaching staff I'm convinced we need to replace all the morons sending dick pics to secretaries and tweeting as if they know who would be the best coach. What an embarrassment.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Furthermore with Bruschi’s NFL experience he can speak to recruits about “what it takes” which can be instant cred among high level recruits.

But what would he actually do on the sidelines during a game and how do you get synergy amount the OC and DC staff. I guess if you hire for a certain type of offense and defense from the get go you mitigate any wrinkles between the systems.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

ChooChooCat wrote:The players tweeting about Yates and claiming it's in The best interest of the program to listen to the players is making my head hurt. At this point not only do we need a new coaching staff I'm convinced we need to replace all the morons sending dick pics to secretaries and tweeting as if they know who would be the best coach. What an embarrassment.
Seriously, blow it up. If they get pissed with the hire they can go compete elsewhere.

Not like our d was a world beater. Hell it folded when we needed it most against Purdue.
OSUCat

Post by OSUCat »

What is Miles going to eat if he goes to Arizona? Synthetic turf? Rocks? Cactus?
Formerly Lynx Rufus.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

OSUCat wrote:What is Miles going to eat if he goes to Arizona? Synthetic turf? Rocks? Cactus?
This is a first rate question
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

So Chief or anyone else who would know. I am seeing reports that Texas A&M would have a reduced buyout if any buyout if Sumlin gets a new job by the 27th of January.

I am not sure about this but I am seeing it on twitter. Would this prevent U of A from hiring Sumlin. Got to figure he would not want to take a job before the 27th since he will get his full buyout that date if true.
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
btfd16

Post by btfd16 »

PHXCATS wrote:So Chief or anyone else who would know. I am seeing reports that Texas A&M would have a reduced buyout if any buyout if Sumlin gets a new job by the 27th of January.

I am not sure about this but I am seeing it on twitter. Would this prevent U of A from hiring Sumlin. Got to figure he would not want to take a job before the 27th since he will get his full buyout that date if true.
He gets every penny.

https://www.sbnation.com/college-footba ... m-contract
prh

Post by prh »

PHXCATS wrote:So Chief or anyone else who would know. I am seeing reports that Texas A&M would have a reduced buyout if any buyout if Sumlin gets a new job by the 27th of January.

Most likely, there's a good faith clause in his buyout which requires 1) any new contract to be reasonable. so we can't pay him 300k while he collects aTm money. and 2) him to attempt to find new employment.

I just read this yesterday about another coach, but I don't remember which one. His buyout was structured similar to when NFL cuts a guy. Whatever the next job pays would be subtracted from the buyout payments.

EDIT: Thanks btfd! So my info above is just generally applicable but not to Sumlin.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

UAEebs86 wrote:What is Pops smoking? Yeah, that would really move the attendance needle. SMH

Definition of throwing shit against a wall and seeing what sticks. That’s obviously a name he came up with as opposed to what he’s heard from people who know.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
ramcat

Post by ramcat »

Chicat wrote:

Definition of throwing shit against a wall and seeing what sticks. That’s obviously a name he came up with as opposed to what he’s heard from people who know.
Yes, someone on twitter posted Sark!! Lol!!!
btfd16

Post by btfd16 »

prh wrote:

Most likely, there's a good faith clause in his buyout which requires 1) any new contract to be reasonable. so we can't pay him 300k while he collects aTm money. and 2) him to attempt to find new employment.

I just read this yesterday about another coach, but I don't remember which one. His buyout was structured similar to when NFL cuts a guy. Whatever the next job pays would be subtracted from the buyout payments.

EDIT: Thanks btfd! So my info above is just generally applicable but not to Sumlin.
Yes your assessment is correct generally! This is a rare occassion. And it has to be paid out in full 60 days from when he was fired.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

He keeps throwing up shit and hoping something will stick. He can't possibly be serious. Probably still mad the UA canned his golfing buddy Tomey.
UALoco

Post by UALoco »

If we go with Les, does he bring in new coordinators or can we keep some? Would it not be good if Yates and Smith/McGee stayed as long as they weren't involved in any of the RR shenanigans? Would like to keep Yates to make KT happy, not to mention the defense is on the upswing and Les might be able to bring in southern big boys to beef it up. Also, nice to keep coach smith and/or Mcgee to keep the offense rolling since Les ain't so hot on that side of the ball. The best thing is that Les might be the savior for our special teams which just suck and could use a rebuild.
prh

Post by prh »

I'd like to clear the whole staff. I mentioned earlier, Yates is perceived so good because he's an improvement over Casteel. Defense still isn't great, so let's make a change to really improve it. I really don't care if KT wants Yates, give him a Heisman campaign and he'll be fine. The defensive guys want Yates because it means they keep their spots and don't get recruited over.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

improving from 117th to 109th in scoring defense and 127th to 119th in 3rd down defense plus dropping from 115th to 119th in total defense really screams "lets keep these guys, they're doing great!"
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Merkin wrote:
He keeps throwing up shit and hoping something will stick. He can't possibly be serious. Probably still mad the UA canned his golfing buddy Tomey.
I feel like all discussion about our coaching search is basically throwing stuff at the wall.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Merkin wrote:
I feel like all discussion about our coaching search is basically throwing stuff at the wall.
It definitely was last time around!
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Based on reports as of 2:08 Arizona time, my wish list

1) Lane Kiffin
2) Kevin Sumlin
3) Les Miles with UCF's OC or another top line OC. For UCF's promise him the job (HC when Miles leaves) if he does well but allow him to interview for HC jobs before Les quits
4) Frank Wilson
5) Jeff Teford
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
BBQ wildcat

Post by BBQ wildcat »

I have a sinking feeling it will be Sumlin. Going from mediocre to mediocre is not what UA needs. That would be a disaster of a hire, IMO.
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

PHXCATS wrote:Based on reports as of 2:08 Arizona time, my wish list

1) Lane Kiffin
2) Kevin Sumlin
3) Les Miles with UCF's OC or another top line OC. For UCF's promise him the job (HC when Miles leaves) if he does well but allow him to interview for HC jobs before Les quits
4) Frank Wilson
5) Jeff Teford
There is a ton of excitement on the board over Kiffen... but that is one I am strongly opposed to. Don't get the love but there is a lot out there.

Sumlin and Miles are very high on my list.... I am with you there.
HaCats

Post by HaCats »

So now we know that Heeke made up his mind to fire RR a long time ago, but waited to make it official until the investigation was complete so that he could determine whether he could fire him 'with cause' or not. So if we know that Heeke knew for quite some time that RR is gone, one has to assume with certainty that he has been working on replacement Plan A, B, C, D and E.....for quite some time.

And now today on Day 1 of the 'official' search.....it comes out that Miles and our athletic department are suddenly expressing 'mutual interest'. I absolutely detest the 'S' word, so I will say this.....this reeks of a diversionary tactic to me. Has Belotti & Byrne strategy written all over it.

At least this is what I'm telling myself because hiring Les Miles feels no different than hiring RR did 7 years ago. Except this guy is a defensive guy instead of offensive.

I know, I know...he won a national title. People need to stop comparing how he recruited in Death Valley to how he would recruit to Tucson, AZ at age 64. A better comparison would be how he performed at a more lateral level institution.....Oklahoma State. He was 28-21. Very RR like. And Okie State isn't even lateral, their facilities and local passion for their program is so far superior to Tucson it's not even funny.
ramcat

Post by ramcat »

scumdevils86 wrote:improving from 117th to 109th in scoring defense and 127th to 119th in 3rd down defense plus dropping from 115th to 119th in total defense really screams "lets keep these guys, they're doing great!"

What did Yates inherit as far as talent, size on dline? Playing opposite of RR's offense, where defense on the field for over 2/3 of the game at minimum in most cases. His defenses were very highly rated at Boise, did very well in recruiting with ties to both Texas and Cali.

https://www.foxsports.com/college-footb ... uez-011716" target="_blank
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

HaCats wrote:So now we know that Heeke made up his mind to fire RR a long time ago, but waited to make it official until the investigation was complete so that he could determine whether he could fire him 'with cause' or not. So if we know that Heeke knew for quite some time that RR is gone, one has to assume with certainty that he has been working on replacement Plan A, B, C, D and E.....for quite some time.

And now today on Day 1 of the 'official' search.....it comes out that Miles and our athletic department are suddenly expressing 'mutual interest'. I absolutely detest the 'S' word, so I will say this.....this reeks of a diversionary tactic to me. Has Belotti & Byrne strategy written all over it.

At least this is what I'm telling myself because hiring Les Miles feels no different than hiring RR did 7 years ago. Except this guy is a defensive guy instead of offensive.

I know, I know...he won a national title. People need to stop comparing how he recruited in Death Valley to how he would recruit to Tucson, AZ at age 64. A better comparison would be how he performed at a more lateral level institution.....Oklahoma State. He was 28-21. Very RR like. And Okie State isn't even lateral, their facilities and local passion for their program is so far superior to Tucson it's not even funny.
Les Miles stint at LSU and RR's at Michigan are at opposite ends of the bell curve.

As for Miles performance at OSU... think back to what that program was before he coached there, and remember that it was good enough to get him hired to replace Nick Saban at LSU. And then say with a straight face that it was "RR like", who was passed over by Louisville, Va Tech, and So Car.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

BBQ wildcat wrote:I have a sinking feeling it will be Sumlin. Going from mediocre to mediocre is not what UA needs. That would be a disaster of a hire, IMO.
Literally having a rotting corpse as head coach is an improvement over RR. Our #1 priority as a program should be recruiting, recruiting, recruiting. And Sumlin can do that. Besides he was in the sec west..who knows what he would do in a much easier PAC 12 south.

tgrumpy2

Post by tgrumpy2 »

I love this stuff. You guys entertain the heck out of me. We should be careful what we say because we just may get a rotting corpse. I think ASU did. Could even be worse. We could get another Makevic. All I know is we're starting over and its always a crap shoot no matter who we hire. I'm just going to sit back and watch and enjoy the roller coaster ride. The powers at be aren't going to give two hoots about my opinion anyway when they decide who to hire or hire the guy that's willing to come here. Whatever the case may be.
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

ASUHATER! wrote: Our #1 priority as a program should be recruiting, recruiting, recruiting.
I partially (and perhaps wholly, depending on what you mean by "recruiting") disagree.

We should probably be working on finding systems and ways to win with two and three star (and a handful of 4 star) recruits every year, if those systems exist (and they probably do). We should also work on finding the kind of people (OC/DC) that can be successful with those kind of recruits and develop those kind of recruits.

We are probably never going to be a place that recruits a dozen four star players every year. It's probably better to come to terms with that then it is to keep chasing those rabbits.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Whoever we get, most here wil want him gone within 3 years
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Alieberman wrote:Whoever we get, most here wil want him gone within 3 years
nature of the beast in power 5 college football in the 21st century.
btfd16

Post by btfd16 »

SCCats wrote:
ASUHATER! wrote: Our #1 priority as a program should be recruiting, recruiting, recruiting.
I partially (and perhaps wholly, depending on what you mean by "recruiting") disagree.

We should probably be working on finding systems and ways to win with two and three star (and a handful of 4 star) recruits every year, if those systems exist (and they probably do). We should also work on finding the kind of people (OC/DC) that can be successful with those kind of recruits and develop those kind of recruits.

We are probably never going to be a place that recruits a dozen four star players every year. It's probably better to come to terms with that then it is to keep chasing those rabbits.
Gary Patterson. Art Briles (kidding).
prh

Post by prh »

SCCats wrote:

I don't think we can be successful in a P5 with 2 and 3 stars. Boise State's success does not translate well. Look at Peterson at UW, he's had plenty of NFL talent there. Yes Mike Riley had a good run at Oregon State, but even he put some guys in the NFL. To be successful at the P5 level with those recruits, you need such a unique system that it's hard for teams to play you. Everyone caught up to RR. Maybe we could run the triple option and be west coast Georgia Tech, but that's about the best hope if we resign ourselves to lower guys.

And above all, there's nothing preventing us from getting more talented players. We are in a P5 conference, our facilities are at least sufficient, our campus is incredible, warm weather, etc. We're not chasing the guys Bama is, so we don't have to match them. But we can do far better than we have been.
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

btfd16 wrote:Gary Patterson.
Exactly.

All we have to do is hire the now Gary Patterson, get him to build a program over 18 years and find a way to keep paying him (current mentioned salary $5.1M) without having him poached in like year three (and every year after that) of that 18 year rebuild.

Or we can find someone that has an eye for 2/3 stars and can develop them.
Last edited by SCCats on Wed Jan 03, 2018 3:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

prh wrote:I don't think we can be successful in a P5 with 2 and 3 stars.
You can run read/option with 2 and 3 star guys and be successful in college.

I mean, that's what we did on offense this year, putting up the points we did.
BBQ wildcat

Post by BBQ wildcat »

Oops, forgot to embed a quote
Last edited by BBQ wildcat on Wed Jan 03, 2018 3:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Gilbertcat

Post by Gilbertcat »

Yes please.