Official Anu Solomon Appreciation Thread

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Salty

Re: Official Anu Solomon Appreciation Thread

Post by Salty »

3goggles wrote:
Salty wrote:
ANGCatFan wrote:
Salty wrote:Decision making is Anu's biggest weakness.
"I've played some freshmen or redshirt freshmen before, and he's as sharp or sharper at this point with understanding the system and scheme were going against as anyone I've coached," Rodriguez said.
I think I'll trust Coach Rod on Anu's decision making.
He still has missed countless reads, made poor decisions, and simply not seen wide open receivers.
And with his horrible decision making we are 7-2! Yeah I'll take the learning curve with Anu! All of those things are true and a very correctable moving forward! Would you rather have scroggins, brewer, Randle or any of the other 10 qbs on the roster?
I'm happy with Anu.

But he has a lot of improving to do and he makes a lot of mistakes.

There's nothing wrong with being critical.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Salty wrote:There's nothing wrong with being critical.
There is when you don't know what you're talking about and you're just trying to sound smart.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
dc4azcats

Post by dc4azcats »

Salty wrote:
3goggles wrote:
Salty wrote:
ANGCatFan wrote:
Salty wrote:Decision making is Anu's biggest weakness.
"I've played some freshmen or redshirt freshmen before, and he's as sharp or sharper at this point with understanding the system and scheme were going against as anyone I've coached," Rodriguez said.
I think I'll trust Coach Rod on Anu's decision making.
He still has missed countless reads, made poor decisions, and simply not seen wide open receivers.
And with his horrible decision making we are 7-2! Yeah I'll take the learning curve with Anu! All of those things are true and a very correctable moving forward! Would you rather have scroggins, brewer, Randle or any of the other 10 qbs on the roster?
I'm happy with Anu.

But he has a lot of improving to do and he makes a lot of mistakes.

There's nothing wrong with being critical.
Chicat is right - you're trying to sound smart but reality is you sound like you have no idea what you're talking about?

He has 5 ints on the year and as a team it's led to 3 points for the other team. Turning the ball over is a mistake. Not hitting a guy on a deep pass because he wants to make sure he puts it where only his guy can catch it is something any coach can live with. Especially when you consider he has 25 TD passes (5-1 TD to int ratio) on the season. Not to mention he will more than likely be our all time leader in pass TDs in a season by the time this season is finished. On top of all that he's a RS frosh and we're 7-2 and ranked 14th in the country.

You and dmjcat should hang out together if you aren't already.
Machina

Post by Machina »

Bob Kemp is hinting that he is not 100% healthy and that is likely the cause of a drop off in play
ANGCatFan

Post by ANGCatFan »

There is no reason to hint. Anu has had a bad ankle the last 3 games that has hampered his ability to throw and desire to run. Even gimpy we can assume the coaches think he is still better than the next option.

I'm a "trust the coaches 'cause they see them everyday and have their pay checks behind their decisions" kind of guy, but I'd love to see a Randall run oriented package if Anu is not better this weekend.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Machina wrote:Bob Kemp is hinting that he is not 100% healthy and that is likely the cause of a drop off in play
My wife and daughter saw Anu and some of the other players at a restaurant the day after the UCLA game and he was in a walking boot at that time.

Sounds like it hasn't gotten any better.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

I like Ang's thoughts and still hope we bring in Randall against Utah or ASSU. He would be a terror in the redzone running the zone read.

Love Anu but it's a long season and alot of the kids are hurt and limping. No shame in that at all
Last edited by azcat49 on Mon Nov 17, 2014 11:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

The 1 thing I trust Salty in is his assessment of decision making.

Afterall, it was Salty who once made the wise decision to sweep a lady off her feet with offerings of x-box playing and the watching the Book of Eli to get her in the mood.

In Salty I trust.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Alieberman wrote:The 1 thing I trust Salty in is his assessment of decision making.

Afterall, it was Salty who once made the wise decision to sweep a lady off her feet with offerings of x-box playing and the watching the Book of Eli to get her in the mood.

In Salty I trust.
You forgot to mention the gut full of Lindy's hamburgers.
-JB
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

UAEebs86 wrote:
Alieberman wrote:The 1 thing I trust Salty in is his assessment of decision making.

In Salty I trust.

beat me to it, but will add with triple jalepenos that sent him to the toilet early that night.
BearDown89

Post by BearDown89 »

CalStateTempe wrote:
UAEebs86 wrote:

In Salty I trust.

beat me to it, but will add with triple jalepenos that sent him to the toilet early that night.
I seem to remember an unfortunate mix of alcohols too.
Salty

Post by Salty »

BearDown89 wrote:
CalStateTempe wrote:
UAEebs86 wrote:

In Salty I trust.

I seem to remember an unfortunate mix of alcohols too.
It was a difficult night
ANGCatFan

Post by ANGCatFan »

Gimino on Anu's health.
About 20 minutes after Arizona coach Rich Rodriguez said Anu Solomon was "probably hurting more than he let on," the Wildcats starting quarterback walked by the football facility with a foot in a walking boot.
"He's been getting treatment and he hasn't missed a practice, and he's been getting around OK, but he probably wasn't 100 percent (against Washington) and probably was hurting a little bit more than he let us know," Rodriguez said Monday.
Gladiator Cat

Post by Gladiator Cat »

In my opinion for Rich Rod to continue to play a beat-up and bruised freshman QB without any in-game relief from the back-ups is a stunning indictment of their abilities as RR see’s it when it comes to running this offense.

A senior, a junior and a sophomore can’t replace a freshman with a bad wheel for even a quarter or a half.

It’s amazing to witness the level of drop off behind Anu. The kid is pretty special.
UAtrue

Post by UAtrue »

Gladiator Cat wrote:In my opinion for Rich Rod to continue to play a beat-up and bruised freshman QB without any in-game relief from the back-ups is a stunning indictment of their abilities as RR see’s it when it comes to running this offense.

A senior, a junior and a sophomore can’t replace a freshman with a bad wheel for even a quarter or a half.

It’s amazing to witness the level of drop off behind Anu. The kid is pretty special.
Or, he's pulling a Miller (before Miller learned his lesson w/Ashley's injury last year) and isn't willing to take a chance and let the backup have some playing time to develop. I love RR, but he should give the backup some playing time so he can develop when he will really be needed. A series or 2 won't kill us in the games that we are firmly ahead (say the WSU or Colorado games)...
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Gladiator Cat wrote:In my opinion for Rich Rod to continue to play a beat-up and bruised freshman QB without any in-game relief from the back-ups is a stunning indictment of their abilities as RR see’s it when it comes to running this offense.

Randall should have had some series. He is going to be needed vs. Utah with the bad weather and Anu having a bad wheel.

RR reminds me of Tomey with his blind loyalties.
Gladiator Cat

Post by Gladiator Cat »

UAtrue wrote:

Or, he's pulling a Miller (before Miller learned his lesson w/Ashley's injury last year) and isn't willing to take a chance and let the backup have some playing time to develop. I love RR, but he should give the backup some playing time so he can develop when he will really be needed. A series or 2 won't kill us in the games that we are firmly ahead (say the WSU or Colorado games)...
UAtrue,

There's a lot of truth in what you wrote. I'd say its too late now. Putting in a back-up against a punishing Utah D in game 11 would be, well, shall we say.......................................very very dicey.
Gladiator Cat

Post by Gladiator Cat »

Merkin wrote:

Randall should have had some series. He is going to be needed vs. Utah with the bad weather and Anu having a bad wheel.

Merk,

We shall see but I would suspect RR is going to ride Anu until he basically can't walk. We passed the event horizon long ago for back-ups getting playing time. Our back-ups must be on another level of bad to not even sniff of a series or two the entire year.

Sorry, there's no sugar-coating any of the QB quality issues behind Anu at this point.
Sage&Silver

Post by Sage&Silver »

Merkin wrote:

Agreed. RR rarely ever subs, even in garbage time. I think it is about keeping the QB in rhythm, but in this case the competition this fall was very close... why not at least give a few possessions to someone else?

It couldn't hurt. The offense has been a complete dumpster fire this past three games.

Against UCLA and UW:
40% passes completed for 209 per game, one TD and three picks
Run game averaging 2.2 yards per.
dc4azcats

Post by dc4azcats »

Sage&Silver wrote:
Merkin wrote:

Agreed. RR rarely ever subs, even in garbage time. I think it is about keeping the QB in rhythm, but in this case the competition this fall was very close... why not at least give a few possessions to someone else?

It couldn't hurt. The offense has been a complete dumpster fire this past three games.

Against UCLA and UW:
40% passes completed for 209 per game, one TD and three picks
Run game averaging 2.2 yards per.

8-2.
ANGCatFan

Post by ANGCatFan »

AZarchery

Post by AZarchery »

Any word on his ankle/foot? Hopefully he will be back to 100% against the ducks.
azthrillhouse

Post by azthrillhouse »

Haven't seen anything re: injury, I'm assuming since he made it through the ASU game intact, he's a go for Oregon unless he aggravates it again.

Since this thread got bumped, wanted to mention that after the game, my buddies and I swung past the front of L-S trying to get back to our parking spot and Anu was out there taking pictures and signing autographs for the fans, and could not have been more gracious. Seems like a great kid.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

RR mentioned on the radio today that he's getting better.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

azthrillhouse wrote:Haven't seen anything re: injury, I'm assuming since he made it through the ASU game intact, he's a go for Oregon unless he aggravates it again.

Since this thread got bumped, wanted to mention that after the game, my buddies and I swung past the front of L-S trying to get back to our parking spot and Anu was out there taking pictures and signing autographs for the fans, and could not have been more gracious. Seems like a great kid.
Off topic of Anu, but another player story:

A coworker told me his son loves Austin Hill, so he waited near the end of the Wildcat Walk Friday with a football and a Sharpie. He held
it out to Austin and called his name. Austin high-fived his son but walked past and his son was a bit dejected. Then all of a sudden, after he got to the end, Austin
turned around, ran back and signed his football. So cool. (Samajie signed it too.)
Last edited by UAEebs86 on Tue Dec 02, 2014 7:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
-JB
azpenguin

Post by azpenguin »

azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Well, let's keep his tradition going.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

azgreg wrote: Well, let's keep his tradition going.
So has Stanley Johnson. Let's make it two!
-JB
BearDown89

Post by BearDown89 »

azpenguin wrote:
:lol:
SCCat

Post by SCCat »

It's pretty amazing to think where the red shirt Freshman already is and where he will be after having played a full season of games and having worked on the things he now knows he needs to work on this spring and over the summer for next year.

Go Anu!!
ANGCatFan

Post by ANGCatFan »

The Oregonian with some Anu Solomon Appreciation.
"I don't know if I've seen, other than Marcus, a guy, as a freshman do the things that he's done," said Mark Helfrich, Oregon's second-year coach who has yet to beat the Wildcats.
cat77

Post by cat77 »

azpenguin wrote:

Hahaha this reminds me of a couple idiot asu fans I was sitting next to at the game. On a play Anu rolled out and didn't have anywhere to go with the ball so he threw it away. One scum fan said "that was smart of him to just get rid of it there". And his buddy says "well he is Indian a lot of them are doctors so he is probably really smart"

I just kind of chuckled to myself and went on enjoying the game.
AZCatGirl

Post by AZCatGirl »

You didn't fail us at all Anu. You gave us all you could and then some battling your ankle injury.
“The reality is that the hardest games to win are over teams on their home court. Teams that don’t play those games can spin it however they want, but what they’re saying is, ‘We don’t want to lose in our non conference season.’" - Sean Miller
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Do we get to use the injury excuses like Oregon?
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
MountainCat

Post by MountainCat »

ASUHATER! wrote:Do we get to use the injury excuses like Oregon?
Hey - If it wasn't for injuries and all those penalties on Oregon, Arizona would have lost by more. ;) Oregon just did not play well at all last night :roll:

- So says the announcers last night -

As for Arizona and Anu - Does anyone think the world knows anything about his foot injury, or does everyone think he is just a redshirt freshman QB and got replaced by the senior QB last night due to poor play? Even the announcers said this foot injury has plagued him over the past couple of games only.

Hasn't he been hurt for some time now? Maybe a five games ago?
No Bandwagon Here! Always a Cat!
AZCatGirl

Post by AZCatGirl »

Not making excuses Mr. Sunshine. Anu shouldn't feel like he let us down when RichRod played him longer than he could take.
MountainCat wrote:As for Arizona and Anu - Does anyone think the world knows anything about his foot injury, or does everyone think he is just a redshirt freshman QB and got replaced by the senior QB last night due to poor play? Even the announcers said this foot injury has plagued him over the past couple of games only.

Yeah I think he's been hurt since the UCLA game or somewhere around then. It has been an ongoing problem for awhile now.
“The reality is that the hardest games to win are over teams on their home court. Teams that don’t play those games can spin it however they want, but what they’re saying is, ‘We don’t want to lose in our non conference season.’" - Sean Miller
Salty

Post by Salty »

It was the offensive line who let us down.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

AZCatGirl wrote:
Not making excuses Mr. Sunshine. Anu shouldn't feel like he let us down when RichRod played him longer than he could take.
MountainCat wrote:As for Arizona and Anu - Does anyone think the world knows anything about his foot injury, or does everyone think he is just a redshirt freshman QB and got replaced by the senior QB last night due to poor play? Even the announcers said this foot injury has plagued him over the past couple of games only.

Yeah I think he's been hurt since the UCLA game or somewhere around then. It has been an ongoing problem for awhile now.
I'm just making fun of Oregon fans...No need to get upset.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

MountainCat wrote:
Hey - If it wasn't for injuries and all those penalties on Oregon, Arizona would have lost by more. ;) Oregon just did not play well at all last night :roll:

- So says the announcers last night -

As for Arizona and Anu - Does anyone think the world knows anything about his foot injury, or does everyone think he is just a redshirt freshman QB and got replaced by the senior QB last night due to poor play? Even the announcers said this foot injury has plagued him over the past couple of games only.

My wife and daughter saw Anu and several other players at a restaurant the day after the UCLA loss. Anu was wearing the boot at that time.
-JB
Carcassdragger

Post by Carcassdragger »

AZCatGirl wrote: You didn't fail us at all Anu. You gave us all you could and then some battling your ankle injury.

Hate to see our little stud freshman hurting like this. This kid has nerves of steel and is going to be one of the all time great cats.
2020 BEARDOWN WILDCATS RAP Champion
2018 BEARDOWN WILDCATS SURVIVAL POOL Champion
2017 BEARDOWN WILDCATS RAP Champion
2013 GOAZCATS SURVIVAL POOL Champion
3goggles

Post by 3goggles »

carcassdragger wrote:
AZCatGirl wrote: You didn't fail us at all Anu. You gave us all you could and then some battling your ankle injury.

Hate to see our little stud freshman hurting like this. This kid has nerves of steel and is going to be one of the all time great cats.
Not sure I would another kid in the shotgun for this team! I love this kid!
azpenguin

Post by azpenguin »

Solomon's ankle injury really limited the options the Cats had last night, but he was still the team's best option. Oregon's D-line, though, played with their hair on fire and the Cats' O-line couldn't hold up their end of things.

Scroggins seemed to give the team a little spark, but you saw last night why he didn't win the job. The word on him was that for every "wow" moment, he'd get you a "oh dammit no" moment. He sailed passes, threw a bad pick, made a bad read on fourth down, and ten the game was totally out of reach. Randall got some reps but his keep/give reads were mostly "keep" and he never felt like a passing threat. Solomon's ankle kept him from being able to run a rolling pocket, and also badly limited his running ability and escapability. As a result he had to play pocket passer, and the O-line couldn't hold that pocket. He also wasn't able to run the paired plays so well. Just a doomed night for the team. I

Solomon will be OK to roll for next season and probably the bowl game. His future is bright here.
wilbur1997

Post by wilbur1997 »

Carter Wood has been calling Anu "Sleepy the Mexican Wolverine". Check-out the video on the Arizona Athletics web page.

Not sure how to embed this link, but here it is...

http://www.arizonawildcats.com/mediaPor ... id=3631524

... or you can check it out at ArizonaAthletics.com under videos, look for "Carter Wood Media Day Correspondent".

It's around the 4:58 mark. Made me laugh.
3goggles

Post by 3goggles »

so is Anu close to 100%?
TuiTouchdown

Post by TuiTouchdown »

I felt like this needed to be bumped. Too much doom and gloom around here.
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

Solomon clearly exceeded my expectations for him this year, despite the bad ankle down the stretch. We are in better shape than most of the other PAC12 programs at the QB spot going into next year.

Looking forward to an improved ASolomon next year......including the ability to stay in the pocket and find secondary receivers.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Fan bases are funny blaming things on one dude. I mean, it sucks that Anu gave up 21 points to start the game.
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
whatisee

Post by whatisee »

Olsondogg wrote:Fan bases are funny blaming things on one dude. I mean, it sucks that Anu gave up 21 points to start the game.
:lol:

Did Jared Tevis play yesterday? I wish we had a team of Scoobys & Bondorant's.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

But you can't blame the OL for the 8 sacks, and the pick 6. Those were pretty much all on Anu when he panicked in the pocket.

Great defensive adjustment by BSU forcing Solomon to sit back there and actually have to think instead of react.
TuiTouchdown

Post by TuiTouchdown »

Merkin wrote:But you can't blame the OL for the 8 sacks, and the pick 6. Those were pretty much all on Anu when he panicked in the pocket.

Great defensive adjustment by BSU forcing Solomon to sit back there and actually have to think instead of react.
Agree that he could have done better. A freshman will play like a freshman at times. Stupid decisions, passes off-target. He did have a great throw to Grant though.