Scooby

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

UAEebs86

Re: Scooby

Post by UAEebs86 »

We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Correction on earlier tweet: Ohio State's James Laurinaitis won the Nagurski as a sophomore in 2006.
Last edited by UAEebs86 on Mon Dec 08, 2014 9:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-JB
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Only three PAC10/12 players have ever won the Nagurski: Waldrop, Suggs, Scooby.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Chicat wrote:Only three PAC10/12 players have ever won the Nagurski: Waldrop, Suggs, Scooby.

I guess Meat Loaf was right.
-JB
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

azcat49 wrote:Doesn't this put his name in the ring of honor automatically

Retire his jersey too!
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

From literally ZERO offers and Cal coaches telling him to check out Sacramento State to being named the best defensive player in college football all in 2 years.

Amazing...
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Thank you UDub, UCLA, and Cal:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nc ... /70093176/

The middle list, a recruiting wish list of his dream schools, helps to describe Wright's path. Ten schools made the cut; nine failed to see a potential contributor amid his status as a two-star prospect.

One was Washington. Wright and his father, Phil, went to Seattle for the Huskies' junior day, meeting with then-coach Steve Sarkisian and assistant Peter Sirmon. He should probably look somewhere else, they told Wright; he wasn't their type of linebacker.

At UCLA, Jim Mora capped a 20-minute conversation by saying the Bruins would be in touch in the next few days. They never called. Then California, and the same story: Then-linebackers coach Kenwick Thompson told Wright he might want to look at a smaller school. Have you thought about Sacramento State?

The Wildcats coaching staff saw an athlete, even if Wright didn't look the part of a prototypical linebacker. At recruiting camps, Wright put up combine numbers — in terms of his 40-yard dash, vertical leap and other measurements — that rivaled those compiled by Tim Tebow and Reggie Bush, event coordinators told his father.

That's not entirely correct: Wright's 103.98 SPARQ score at an Oakland combine in 2012 didn't rival Tebow and Bush — it surpassed the two Heisman Trophy winners, neither of whom cracked 100 in the Nike-created rating system.
-JB
cpt

Post by cpt »

My brush with greatness Scooby Wright story (and the only time I've ever got a prediction right)... I had seen the first two games and was struck at how good Scooby was. I made some brash statement on the TOS. Me and my buddies go down for the UTSA game and stay at the Marriott. We partied. Hard. About midnight my friends tell me to go up to see if the concierge lounge is still open. I get on the elevator and run into a not too big young guy with his mom. I ask him in my inebriated state if he went to the game. Mom says he plays on the team. I ask what position. He says linebacker. I asked him what was his name. He says "Scooby Wright." I go on a drunk rant about how he is the man and how he is going to be the greatest Wildcat defensive player since Tedy Bruschi. Scooby said if he could be half that good he would be happy. I told him he was the man again for about the forth time and that I was going to look forward to watching him play for four years.

No way did I think he would be this good this quick. He's an absolute joy to watch.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

I went to the nau game last year and remember hearing his name called a bunch and thought to myself "that's cool he's only a freshman". Thought maybe he might turn into a Spencer Larsen type some day if he was lucky
UAtrue

Post by UAtrue »

Absolutely awesome. UA Wildcat nation is so proud of you; maybe almost as much as your mom and dad ;)
dc4azcats

Post by dc4azcats »

Chicat wrote:From literally ZERO offers and Cal coaches telling him to check out Sacramento State to being named the best defensive player in college football all in 2 years.

Amazing...
The SDSU and UW coaches said pretty much the same thing. Wonder what those same coaches are thinking tonight? Talk about a kick in the nutts. Not to mention the so called "talent evaluators".
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

Scooby!
Awesome and well deserved!
azgreg wrote:But, not the best linebacker. smh
Not even a FINALIST for best linebacker.

the butkus and lott awards people just look worse and worse by the day, don't they? :lol:
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

Chicat

Post by Chicat »

PieceOfMeat wrote:Scooby!
Awesome and well deserved!
azgreg wrote:But, not the best linebacker. smh
Not even a FINALIST for best linebacker.

the butkus and lott awards people just look worse and worse by the day, don't they? :lol:
I actually feel kind of bad for whoever does win those awards. They have to know that if those committees weren't so collosally stupid they wouldn't be holding those trophies and that everyone will mention Scooby being snubbed instead of them deserving it.
Bosy Billups

Post by Bosy Billups »

Yea, I imagine many major programs recruit those who other big name schools are recruiting, and who the recruiting websites say is good.

Not to go back to basketball, but look at Klay Thompson (couldn't sniff a walk on role at UCLA). Stephen Curry anyone?

I'm sure we've taken 2 stars that turn out to be 0 stars. Probably for every 2 star that makes it big, 500 don't.
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

Chicat wrote: I actually feel kind of bad for whoever does win those awards. They have to know that if those committees weren't so collosally stupid they wouldn't be holding those trophies and that everyone will mention Scooby being snubbed instead of them deserving it.
true
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

AZCatGirl

Post by AZCatGirl »

Just the first of many awards he'll win while here. :)
“The reality is that the hardest games to win are over teams on their home court. Teams that don’t play those games can spin it however they want, but what they’re saying is, ‘We don’t want to lose in our non conference season.’" - Sean Miller
CatsbyAZ

Post by CatsbyAZ »

Merkin wrote:
azcat49 wrote:Doesn't this put his name in the ring of honor automatically

Retire his jersey too!
Give him the keys to the city!

Congrats Scoob!
“The force behind the movement of time is a mourning that will not be comforted.” author Marilynne Robinson
ANGCatFan

Post by ANGCatFan »

Official release:
CHARLOTTE, N.C. – University of Arizona sophomore linebacker Scooby Wright III was awarded the Bronko Nagurski Trophy, presented annually to the nation’s most outstanding defensive player, by the Charlotte Touchdown Club Monday night. Wright is Arizona’s second Bronko Nagurski Trophy honoree with Rob Waldrop winning the award in 1993.

"I want to say thank you all to my teammates and coaches," Wright said. "Football is a team game. I accept this on behalf of the Arizona football program."

"I am excited for Scooby," Arizona head coach Rich Rodriguez said. "He epitomizes what our program is about. He has a chip on his shoulder, he loves the game and is a good teammate. One of the reasons his numbers are so high is because of his effort. You want everybody to do that, but it comes to Scooby naturally. He plays with a sense of urgency on every snap."

With finalists Malcom Brown of Texas, Landon Collins of Alabama, Senquez Golson of Ole Miss, Gerod Holliman of Louisville, Wright was honored at a reception and awards dinner on Monday at the Charlotte Westin. Head coach Rich and Rita Rodriguez, defensive coordinator Jeff Casteel and his wife, Rosie, and members of the Wright family were in attendance. Alabama head coach Nick Saban was the featured speaker.

Through 13 games, Wright has 153 total tackles, 28.0 tackles for a loss, 14.0 sacks and six forced fumbles, all team highs. The Pac-12 Defensive Player of the Year and a first-team all-conference selection, Wright ranks in the top five among FBS players for total tackles, tackles for loss, sacks and forced fumbles. He’s the only FBS player to rank in the top 25 of each of those categories. Further, Wright is vying to become the first player since 1999 to finish the season ranked in the top five for tackles, tackles for loss and sacks. When Rich Rodriguez was offensive coordinator at Clemson in 1999, linebacker Keith Adams achieved the feat for the Tigers, according to research provided by STATS. Adams finished second in total tackles (186), first in tackles for loss (35.0) and tied for third in sacks (16.0).

Wright will travel to Houston, Texas for the Rotary Lombardi Award event on Wednesday and to Orlando, Fla. for the ESPN College Football Awards show on Thursday.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Our new Chuck Cecil. Congrats.
Right where I want to be.
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

Bosy Billups wrote:Yea, I imagine many major programs recruit those who other big name schools are recruiting, and who the recruiting websites say is good.

Not to go back to basketball, but look at Klay Thompson (couldn't sniff a walk on role at UCLA). Stephen Curry anyone?

I'm sure we've taken 2 stars that turn out to be 0 stars. Probably for every 2 star that makes it big, 500 don't.
You are thinking of Jeremy Lin
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

ANGCatFan wrote:Wright will travel to Houston, Texas for the Rotary Lombardi Award event on Wednesday and to Orlando, Fla. for the ESPN College Football Awards show on Thursday.
Get your workouts in Scooby. That banquet food can pack on the lbs.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Chicat wrote:
ANGCatFan wrote:Wright will travel to Houston, Texas for the Rotary Lombardi Award event on Wednesday and to Orlando, Fla. for the ESPN College Football Awards show on Thursday.
Get your workouts in Scooby. That banquet food can pack on the lbs.
He should bring back a doggie bag for Zellers.
SDCAT23

Post by SDCAT23 »

I wonder if RichRod and Saban exhanged pleasantries before of after the ceremony
3goggles

Post by 3goggles »

What's next for scooby in the award circuit?
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

3goggles wrote:What's next for scooby in the award circuit?
Lombardi Award tomorrow and then the ESPN awards on Thursday.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

azgreg

Post by azgreg »

3goggles

Post by 3goggles »

When do we find out about the Lombardi award
Salty

Post by Salty »

I want to buy a Scooby jersey but I am going to wait until we get rid of the god awful ones we have now
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

3goggles wrote:When do we find out about the Lombardi award
ghostwhitehorse

Post by ghostwhitehorse »

azgreg wrote:
3goggles wrote:When do we find out about the Lombardi award
Just give the award already. . .yea dogs, the speechification is obnoxious. :roll:
ghostwhitehorse

Okay, the Udub guy is third place.

edit: oh, they are only doing intros right now. Eh.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

:lol: "Scooby is under consideration for the PAC-12 defensive player of the year award".
-JB
ghostwhitehorse

UAEebs86 wrote::lol: "Scooby is under consideration for the PAC-12 defensive player of the year award".
Yeah, the didn't upgrade their scripts in time did they. . .
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

-JB
3goggles

Post by 3goggles »

Scooby looks so thrilled to be there! Not! This isn't his type of shit! Love it!
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Scooby wins the Lombardi.
-JB
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

-JB
ghostwhitehorse

Scooby!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Thank you and Bear Down! Nice sign off Scooby.
-JB
3goggles

Post by 3goggles »

That a boy scooby
3goggles

Post by 3goggles »

UAEebs86 wrote:
That's what I'm talking about! Love brooks reed!
ANGCatFan

Post by ANGCatFan »

Official release:
HOUSTON, Texas – University of Arizona sophomore linebacker Scooby Wright III was given the Rotary Lombardi Award in Houston on Wednesday, presented annually to the nation’s most outstanding defensive lineman or linebacker. The selection committee is made up of Division I head coaches, media personnel and former winners and finalists of the Rotary Lombardi Award.

Wright is Arizona’s first Rotary Lombardi Award finalist and winner. He also won the 2014 Bronko Nagurski Trophy in Charlotte, N.C. on Monday.

Wright joined fellow finalists Vic Beasley of Clemson, Joey Bosa of Ohio State and Hau’oli Kikaha of Washington for events in Houston on Tuesday and Wednesday. Wright attended a welcome dinner at the Houston Aquarium on Tuesday and was honored at the awards dinner at the Bayou Music Center on Wednesday. Members of the Wright family were in attendance to celebrate his award.

Also on Wednesday, the sophomore was named a CBSSports.com First-Team All-American, his first such citation of the 2014 seasom. He joined Washington’s Shaq Thompson and Kikaha as the third linebacker on the first-team. Wright was also named the CBS Sports Defensive Player of the Year.

Through 13 games, Wright has 153 total tackles, 28.0 tackles for a loss, 14.0 sacks and six forced fumbles, all team highs. The Pac-12 Defensive Player of the Year and a first-team all-conference selection, Wright ranks in the top five among FBS players for total tackles, tackles for loss, sacks and forced fumbles. He’s the only FBS player to rank in the top 25 of each of those categories. Further, Wright is vying to become the first player since 1999 to finish the season ranked in the top five for tackles, tackles for loss and sacks.

Wright will travel to Orlando, Fla. for the ESPN College Football Awards show on Thursday for the presentation of the Chuck Bednarik Award.
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

It's a good thing the Lombardi award is available to either linemen or linebackers, cause we know Scooby can't even make the finalist list of the linebacker awards

:lol:

Awesome Scooby!

UAtrue

Post by UAtrue »

Keep 'em coming; so damn well deserved
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Scooby only needs 29 unassisted tackles and 43 total tackles to catch up to Byron Evans best season and he played 1 less game.

Both those guys are/were unreal. Well deserved Scooby
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
gumby

Post by gumby »

Rats rawesome.
Right where I want to be.
michcat

Post by michcat »

Not Butkus good...
TuiTouchdown

Post by TuiTouchdown »

And he's only a sophomore... We are witnessing a once-in-a generation player for UA.