Arizona Coaching Search

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

BBQ wildcat

Re: Arizona Coaching Search

Post by BBQ wildcat »

ASUHATER! wrote:
BBQ wildcat wrote:I have a sinking feeling it will be Sumlin. Going from mediocre to mediocre is not what UA needs. That would be a disaster of a hire, IMO.
Literally having a rotting corpse as head coach is an improvement over RR. Our #1 priority as a program should be recruiting, recruiting, recruiting. And Sumlin can do that. Besides he was in the sec west..who knows what he would do in a much easier PAC 12 south.

So THIS is what you want?

Texas A&M Aggies (Southeastern Conference) (2012–2017)
2012 Texas A&M 11–2 6–2 T–2nd (Western) W Cotton
2013 Texas A&M 9–4 4–4 4th (Western) W Chick-fil-A
2014 Texas A&M 8–5 3–5 6th (Western) W Liberty
2015 Texas A&M 8–5 4–4 T–5th (Western) L Music City
2016 Texas A&M 8–5 4–4 4th (Western) L Texas
2017 Texas A&M 7–5** 4–4 T–4th (Western) Belk**

And his wins this year?
Nicholls
Louisiana Lafayette
Arkansas (last in conference)
South Carolina
Florida (losing record)
Ole Miss (next to last in conference)
New Mexico (Really? 3-8, 6th in Mt West)

They lost to THIS Year's UCLA team. And he will do better in the weaker PAC-12 conference???????
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Gilbertcat wrote:Yes please.
Absolutely

Year Round Pick Overall Team Name Position
2017 1 1 1 Browns Myles Garrett DE
2017 2 18 50 Buccaneers Justin Evans S
2017 3 13 77 Panthers Daeshon Hall DE
2017 4 10 117 Rams Josh Reynolds WR
2017 5 15 159 Ravens Jermaine Eluemunor G
2016 1 31 31 Seahawks Germain Ifedi OT
2016 3 30 92 Cardinals Brandon Williams CB
2015 1 21 21 Bengals Cedric Ogbuehi OT
2015 5 16 152 Jets Jarvis Harrison G
2014 1 6 6 Falcons Jake Matthews OT
2014 1 7 7 Buccaneers Mike Evans WR
2014 1 22 22 Browns Johnny Manziel QB
2013 1 2 2 Jaguars Luke Joeckel OT
2013 2 30 62 Seahawks Christine Michael RB
2013 3 19 81 Giants Damontre Moore DE
2013 4 21 118 Bengals Sean Porter LB
2013 6 6 174 Cardinals Ryan Swope WR
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
prh

Post by prh »

SCCats wrote:
prh wrote:I don't think we can be successful in a P5 with 2 and 3 stars.
You can run read/option with 2 and 3 star guys and be successful in college.

I mean, that's what we did on offense this year, putting up the points we did.
We did the same thing on defense, and the defense was terrible. I think we can agree that the offense was pretty bad without Tate, and the frequency that we get players like him is dramatically lower when targeting 2/3 stars.

In the end, if this year is classified as successful, then we have resigned ourselves to mediocrity.
RondaeShimmy

Post by RondaeShimmy »

This program needs recruiting talent more than anything, the cup is so bare. Sumlin, Miles or that UTSA guy

Getting guys to the NFL consistently is a bigger deal
BBQ wildcat

Post by BBQ wildcat »

PHXCATS wrote:
Gilbertcat wrote:Yes please.
Absolutely

Year Round Pick Overall Team Name Position
2017 1 1 1 Browns Myles Garrett DE
2017 2 18 50 Buccaneers Justin Evans S
2017 3 13 77 Panthers Daeshon Hall DE
2017 4 10 117 Rams Josh Reynolds WR
2017 5 15 159 Ravens Jermaine Eluemunor G
2016 1 31 31 Seahawks Germain Ifedi OT
2016 3 30 92 Cardinals Brandon Williams CB
2015 1 21 21 Bengals Cedric Ogbuehi OT
2015 5 16 152 Jets Jarvis Harrison G
2014 1 6 6 Falcons Jake Matthews OT
2014 1 7 7 Buccaneers Mike Evans WR
2014 1 22 22 Browns Johnny Manziel QB
2013 1 2 2 Jaguars Luke Joeckel OT
2013 2 30 62 Seahawks Christine Michael RB
2013 3 19 81 Giants Damontre Moore DE
2013 4 21 118 Bengals Sean Porter LB
2013 6 6 174 Cardinals Ryan Swope WR
So all those draft picks and he has been in the bottom half of the conference those years? Good recruiter/shitty coach?
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

When people talk about Texas A&M and recruiting, look at this:

http://www.tigerrag.com/sources-texas-a ... ve-aranda/" target="_blank

7.5 million a year on a head coach and trying to pry away a Defensive Coordinator away for over 3 million a year. When Sumlin is pulling recruiting classes in the teens, that does not mean it transfers here. A&M has insane money, is in the middle of a talent rich state and laid a huge amount of $ into facilities.
UAdevil

Post by UAdevil »

BBQ wildcat wrote:
ASUHATER! wrote:
BBQ wildcat wrote:I have a sinking feeling it will be Sumlin. Going from mediocre to mediocre is not what UA needs. That would be a disaster of a hire, IMO.
Literally having a rotting corpse as head coach is an improvement over RR. Our #1 priority as a program should be recruiting, recruiting, recruiting. And Sumlin can do that. Besides he was in the sec west..who knows what he would do in a much easier PAC 12 south.

And his wins this year?
Nicholls
Louisiana Lafayette
South Carolina
Florida (losing record)

They lost to THIS Year's UCLA team. And he will do better in the weaker PAC-12 conference???????
That's consistently better than what UA has done the past 20 years.
Love the 've! Stop with the: Would of - Could of - Should of - Must of - Might of
btfd16

Post by btfd16 »

UAdevil wrote:
BBQ wildcat wrote:
ASUHATER! wrote:

And his wins this year?
Nicholls
Louisiana Lafayette
South Carolina
Florida (losing record)

That's consistently better than what UA has done the past 20 years.
In a much harder and much more competitive conference.
BBQ wildcat

Post by BBQ wildcat »

Losing conference record over the past 5 years and you actually would be delighted with that? Settle for mediocrity, I guess?

If that had been his record at UA over 6 years, should he be fired?
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

BBQ wildcat wrote:Losing conference record over the past 5 years and you actually would be delighted with that? Settle for mediocrity, I guess?

You realize he plays LSU, Auburn and Alabama every year right? Hey I want to beat USC every year but get why we cant. You have three teams that are better than USC every year on your schedule fighting the same fight as we do vs USC.

You realize he recruited Arizona better than Rich Rod and Graham combined right?
UAdevil

Post by UAdevil »

BBQ wildcat wrote:Losing conference record over the past 5 years and you actually would be delighted with that? Settle for mediocrity, I guess?

That 6 year stretch includes more wins than any 6 year period in UA fb history...so I'd say no. Sumlin's 6 seasons there have 3 more wins than Tomey's best 6 year stretch (93-98) which was bookended by seasons of 10-2 and 12-1.
Love the 've! Stop with the: Would of - Could of - Should of - Must of - Might of
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

PHXCATS wrote:

You realize he plays LSU, Auburn and Alabama every year right? Hey I want to beat USC every year but get why we cant. You have three teams that are better than USC every year on your schedule fighting the same fight as we do vs USC.

You realize he recruited Arizona better than Rich Rod and Graham combined right?
He has a 2-10 record against those teams in the last 4 years, 0-8 vs Alabama and LSU. The 2 wins were vs an unranked Auburn team and one that finished #22.

That's RichRod level performance, possibly worse.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
PHXCATS wrote:

He has a 2-10 record against those teams in the last 4 years, 0-8 vs Alabama and LSU. The 2 wins were vs an unranked Auburn team and one that finished #22.

Cool story bro. Name a guy you want who would do better vs Bama Auburn and LSU
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Spaceman Spiff wrote: He has a 2-10 record against those teams in the last 4 years, 0-8 vs Alabama and LSU. The 2 wins were vs an unranked Auburn team and one that finished #22.

Excellent post. RichRod was 0-6 v. tOSU and MSU while at UM, and had losing records against ASU, UCLA and USC. Think he only beat USC and UCLA once each.
BBQ wildcat

Post by BBQ wildcat »

UAdevil wrote:

That 6 year stretch includes more wins than any 6 year period in UA fb history...so I'd say no. Sumlin's 6 seasons there have 3 more wins than Tomey's best 6 year stretch (93-98) which was bookended by seasons of 10-2 and 12-1.
You do realize that teams generally played only 11 regular season games until fairly recently, right? Those six years of Tomey's you are looking at had mostly 11 regular season games, so we played a total of 67 games over those 6 years.

Excluding bowl games, Sumlin's teams played a total of 72 regular season games -- 5 more than Tomey. So over that period he also had 2 more losses than Tomey.

I get that you are saying he looks better than his record might indicate. Maybe he is, maybe not. I don't want to find out, though, because I don't think there is any way he recruits to Arizona at near the level as he did recruiting to an SEC school. And, with the recruiting classes has had at A&M, I still think he should have done much better (wins-losses)
Last edited by BBQ wildcat on Wed Jan 03, 2018 4:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

Rich Rod was 4-14 vs USC, UCLA, and ASU in 6 years. I’m pretty sure Sumlin would do better than that here at Arizona.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Merkin wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote: He has a 2-10 record against those teams in the last 4 years, 0-8 vs Alabama and LSU. The 2 wins were vs an unranked Auburn team and one that finished #22.

Excellent post. RichRod was 0-6 v. tOSU and MSU while at UM, and had losing records against ASU, UCLA and USC. Think he only beat USC and UCLA once each.
In Sumlin's time at Texas A&M, Auburn made the BCS title game ones, Bama won the BCS once, and Alabama made the playoff four times. LSU made one BCS level bowl game in the time frame also. And Auburn was in two seperate NY6 bowl games.

Not nearly the same thing.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

PHXCATS wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
PHXCATS wrote:

Just because he might be the best option does not mean we should be fired up about it. If your options are to lose $100 or lose $200, it doesn't make one really attractive. Sumlin might be the best we can do. That does not erase the fact he's rarely beaten top teams.

He got fired because he produced tremendous mediocrity at a school that has much more in terms of resources.
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

BTW.....just gonna say this. I dig PHX (machina) posts. He’s bringing the heat.
Last edited by chiefzona on Wed Jan 03, 2018 4:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
UAdevil

Post by UAdevil »

BBQ wildcat wrote:
UAdevil wrote:

You do realize that teams generally played only 11 regular season games until fairly recently, right? Those six years of Tomey's you are looking at had mostly 11 regular season games, so we played a total of 67 games over those 6 years.

Excluding bowl games, Sumlin's teams played a total of 72 regular season games -- 5 more than Tomey. So over that period he also had 2 more losses than Tomey.

I get that you are saying he looks better than his record might indicate. Maybe he is, maybe not. I don't want to find out, though, because I don't think there is any way he recruits to Arizona at near the level as he did recruiting to an SEC school. And, with the recruiting classes has had at A&M, I still think he should have done much better (wins-losses)
That's all true. My point was just that Sumlin's 'underwhelming' 6 years at A&M was comparable to UA's best ever run. We could do a lot worse than Sumlin. I'm certainly not campaigning for him. ;)
prh

Post by prh »

Sumlin got fired because his results did not match their expectations. Whether their expectations are realistic or not is tangential to his firing. They have huge resources and they automatically think they should be at Bama's level.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Seriously this late in the game if we are going established name brand I’m down with sumlin.

Keeps Yates in house and could work with Tate like he did with Johnny football.

If he sucks in 4 years we move on, if he moves on up, we are in a better place. Is he perfect ideal no, it give the circumstances he’s a win.

Edit what prh said
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
PHXCATS wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
PHXCATS wrote:

Just because he might be the best option does not mean we should be fired up about it. If your options are to lose $100 or lose $200, it doesn't make one really attractive. Sumlin might be the best we can do. That does not erase the fact he's rarely beaten top teams.

He got fired because he produced tremendous mediocrity at a school that has much more in terms of resources.
Yeah a first round pick every year is tremendously mediocre
UALoco

Post by UALoco »

Alieberman wrote:Whoever we get, most here wil want him gone within 3 years
Exactly, and they will tell us we should have never hired them in the first place and that we should have hired so and so..or kept stoops.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

PHXCATS wrote:
Merkin wrote:

In Sumlin's time at Texas A&M, Auburn made the BCS title game ones, Bama won the BCS once, and Alabama made the playoff four times. LSU made one BCS level bowl game in the time frame also. And Auburn was in two seperate NY6 bowl games.

Not nearly the same thing.
Arizona is not paying a head coach 7.5 mil and offering 3 mil to a d/c. Arizona is not a top recruiting state. A&M's stadium is literally twice the size of ours.

I can agree the SEC West has some good teams, but A&M is set up much better than we are. Even if you think A&M is middle of the pack in the SEC West, where are we in the South? About the same position they are.

Want proof? A&M hired Jimbo Fisher, a national championship winning coach, for their vacancy. Who do we get?
btfd16

Post by btfd16 »

To the anti Sumlin/Miles/Lane crowd, who would you want to move the needle for attendance?
prh

Post by prh »

The Pac12 South has much more mobility than SEC West. Bama is locked in as king there, Auburn is #2 (with some down years sprinkled in), LSU is #3. Those are a solid 3 programs at the top, then A&M is fighting for the middle with recent success at Ole Miss and Miss St.

Pac12 South pecking order has been changing every single year. Even if we anoint USC king, who's next? UCLA with Chip? Utah?

The South is wide open for success. A&M was never going to be better than 4th from year to year.
UALoco

Post by UALoco »

When do we expect a formal announcement? We need a hire to change the narrative down here.
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

Merkin wrote:
btfd16 wrote:Idk why people are so gung ho about a Cecil or Salavea head coach.. I would love either as a DC, but would be underwhelmed if we hired them as a HC
I saw Hansen pushing Cecil, Hunley and the UCLA one game HC, forgot his name.

THERE IS A REASON THEY ARE LIFE LONG POSITION COACHES.

if no one ever game them a chance at HC, there is a reason why. You don't do this in a P5 program.
I like Fisch. He's 41, so I'm not sure how he qualified as a life long position coach since he was an NFL OC in his 30s
btfd16

Post by btfd16 »

UALoco wrote:When do we expect a formal announcement? We need a hire to change the narrative down here.
Formal announcement can't happen until the 12th. There is that 10 day rule I believe. Doesn't mean we cannot leak something. I agree we need to do this swiftly.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

btfd16 wrote:
UALoco wrote:When do we expect a formal announcement? We need a hire to change the narrative down here.
Formal announcement can't happen until the 12th. There is that 10 day rule I believe. Doesn't mean we cannot leak something. I agree we need to do this swiftly.
I have seen it can (10 day rule) be waived if it is needed. For recruiting it might be needed.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Updated List

1-Lane
2-Kevin
3-Les
4-Frank
5-Troy Walters
6-Jeff
btfd16

Post by btfd16 »

PHXCATS wrote:
btfd16 wrote:
I have seen it can (10 day rule) be waived if it is needed. For recruiting it might be needed.
Good to know thank you.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

btfd16 wrote:To the anti Sumlin/Miles/Lane crowd, who would you want to move the needle for attendance?
Hire a person who wil give us the best shot at winning. Winning will move that needle. Kiffin is a sexy name, but has personality issues and has never really produced a ton of success. Miles had success, but slid badly at the end, and you wonder how much he recaptures in his 60's. Sumlin, I've posted a lot on.

The best guy we could potentially score would be Norvell, but I have no clue if we're in that market.
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

PHXCATS wrote:Updated List

1-Lane
2-Kevin
3-Les
4-Frank
5-Troy Walters
6-Jeff

Mike Luke started the Troy Walter’s train. Ain’t happening.
btfd16

Post by btfd16 »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
btfd16 wrote:To the anti Sumlin/Miles/Lane crowd, who would you want to move the needle for attendance?
Hire a person who wil give us the best shot at winning. Winning will move that needle. Kiffin is a sexy name, but has personality issues and has never really produced a ton of success. Miles had success, but slid badly at the end, and you wonder how much he recaptures in his 60's. Sumlin, I've posted a lot on.

The best guy we could potentially score would be Norvell, but I have no clue if we're in that market.
8-5 and 9-4 isn't really sliding, but I see what you mean.

Norvell is not getting a job. Not worth mentioning him. No one is going to take him. Every search firm has found something in his background that has disqualified him.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

btfd16 wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:

8-5 and 9-4 isn't really sliding, but I see what you mean.

Norvell is not getting a job. Not worth mentioning him. No one is going to take him. Every search firm has found something in his background that has disqualified him.
I've heard rumors on what and if they're true, I'd hire without much hesitation. Norvell can coach, is young...
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

btfd16 wrote:
PHXCATS wrote:
btfd16 wrote:
Good to know thank you.
Lev saying it wont be now. Sucks
btfd16

Post by btfd16 »

PHXCATS wrote:
btfd16 wrote:
PHXCATS wrote:
btfd16 wrote:
Good to know thank you.
Lev saying it wont be now. Sucks
How did ASU get around it?
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

chiefzona wrote:
PHXCATS wrote:Updated List

1-Lane
2-Kevin
3-Les
4-Frank
5-Troy Walters
6-Jeff

Mike Luke started the Troy Walter’s train. Ain’t happening.

It is a risk for sure but something worth exploring at least. But he is 5th on my list. Will be super pumped if 1 or 2 is hired. Incredibly pumped.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

btfd16 wrote:How did ASU get around it?
Efforting that
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

btfd16 wrote:
How did ASU get around it?
They are the precious to the ABOR.
Coffeebean

Post by Coffeebean »

All this re-tread talk is giving me PTSD.

Didn't we go down this road with both Mackovic and Rodriguez?
Gladiator Cat

Post by Gladiator Cat »

I think the best fit for Arizona would have been Chip Kelly. But that ship has sailed with UCLA pulling the trigger and I'm not sure he would have even come here.

Anyway, I'm glad Heeke decided to make a change. The RR experiment had run it's course and it was time provided Heeke pulls a good one for the HC position.

Number 1 priority is recruiting, recruiting, and more recruiting. Nothing will fix our situation but better recruiting. The new assistant's better be able to recruit their asses off.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Gladiator Cat wrote:I think the best fit for Arizona would have been Chip Kelly. But that ship has sailed with UCLA pulling the trigger and I'm not sure he would have even come here.

Anyway, I'm glad Heeke decided to make a change. The RR experiment had run it's course and it was time provided Heeke pulls a good one for the HC position.

Number 1 priority is recruiting, recruiting, and more recruiting. Nothing will fix our situation but better recruiting. The new assistant's better be able to recruit their asses off.
The new head coach better be able to recruit his ass off.
Gladiator Cat

Post by Gladiator Cat »

ChooChooCat wrote:
Gladiator Cat wrote:I think the best fit for Arizona would have been Chip Kelly. But that ship has sailed with UCLA pulling the trigger and I'm not sure he would have even come here.

The new head coach better be able to recruit his ass off.
For sure!
TheGreatCatsby

Post by TheGreatCatsby »

I still like the hire of a no-name younger 35ish guy, willing to work his ass off 100 hours a week to prove himself, tirelessly recruit and learn the names of every kid playing high school football west of the Mississippi, and know their favorite color too. Someone more in the Sean McVay type of hire.

Who cares if first year it ignites no fan excitement? We're moribund right now anyway. Give the new guy a chance to grow into the role, and if the fans see something new and promising they'll get on board quick. U of A fans are pretty depressed about things about now that only a Final 4 or a promising young coaching hire will bring. So nice that we spent all that money building Lowell-Stevens so RR could spend all his time trolling for women in it vs worrying about coaching our team. Sure all the donors are very proud.

Hire a 50 yr old+ retread who's been fired before, we're right back here in 5 years canning his ass looking for another retread.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

I hate to break it to Demetrius, but the opinions of fans, media, AND players don’t really matter a whole hell of a lot in this situation.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
prh

Post by prh »

Chicat wrote: I hate to break it to Demetrius, but the opinions of fans, media, AND players don’t really matter a whole hell of a lot in this situation.
:lol: :lol: :lol: that's amazing. This is just like hearing your teenage kids who think they know what's good for them better than their parents do. I'll keep saying it, guys don't want to lose their spot or get recruited over if we actually have a capable recruiter come in.
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

Rich Rod had a record that was decidedly (not marginally) worse in a conference that is markedly less challenging... and many here thought he was great.

So yeah... I think he'd be a major upgrade.