QB derby

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

FreeSpiritCat

Re: QB derby

Post by FreeSpiritCat »

Anu really needs a lot of work. If I was UTSA I would make Solomon through out patterns to his left. Anu has a tendency to roll right and throw that direction. Or he may throw inside slant patterns to his left. Overplay those angles and see if Solomon can throw to his left with consistency.
azpenguin

Post by azpenguin »

Catintheheat wrote:Anu really needs a lot of work. If I was UTSA I would make Solomon through out patterns to his left. Anu has a tendency to roll right and throw that direction. Or he may throw inside slant patterns to his left. Overplay those angles and see if Solomon can throw to his left with consistency.
I think he's got the ability to do that easily. RichRod ran this game with a very vanilla offense and didn't show much of anything at all. He may have had some concerns about Anu throwing right and wanted to use this game as a chance to work on that. I don't know if he's going to wait until Cal or Oregon to open the playbook, but odds are we aren't going to see much more than this for the next few weeks.
dc4azcats

Post by dc4azcats »

Catintheheat wrote:Anu really needs a lot of work. If I was UTSA I would make Solomon through out patterns to his left. Anu has a tendency to roll right and throw that direction. Or he may throw inside slant patterns to his left. Overplay those angles and see if Solomon can throw to his left with consistency.
And Denker could only throw going to his left - every team we played knew it and we still won 8 games. Anu is light years ahead of where Denker was as a QB in regards to throwing the football. It's not even close.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

The only throw I thought he struggled with was the back shoulder throw and that will come. He overthrew a few deep balls but he will get better.

This road game will tell us a lot about Anu and our offense I think
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

dc4azcats wrote:
And Denker could only throw going to his left - every team we played knew it and we still won 8 games. Anu is light years ahead of where Denker was as a QB in regards to throwing the football. It's not even close.
Most quarterbacks are far better at throwing to the side of the field that corresponds with their dominant hand. It was his first college game, and he gave us far more variety in where and how we could throw the ball.

I agree that the back shoulder throw was one place his accuracy was shaky. Just settling down with game experience should even things out. The more things slow down for him, the more we get to see just how much it means to have a QB who doesn't have limits.
SCCat

Post by SCCat »

Considering that was his first start as a 19 year old redshirt freshman I was very pleased.

It's very interesting to think where he might be midway through this season and towards the end of this season.

And next year.

And the year after that.

And the year after that.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Compared to Ron Veal, he was Peyton Manning. This is Arizona. That was a great performance.
Right where I want to be.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Scheer posted that Scroggins is QBing again at Linwood University.

http://www.lindenwoodlions.com/roster.a ... h=football
ANGCatFan

Post by ANGCatFan »

Wow! I count 5 years of college. We need to hire Linwood's compliance and eligibility person immediately.
catinfl

Post by catinfl »

ANGCatFan wrote:Wow! I count 5 years of college. We need to hire Linwood's compliance and eligibility person immediately.
If I remember correctly he had bad academics at SC and maybe he got that extra year and red-shirted a different year or something. Don't know how he got in, but I'm glad he did! Dude deserves a shot to run a team and I'll follow him this year.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Haha, they have done so well with the QBs since!

MountainCat

Post by MountainCat »

Merkin wrote:Haha, they have done so well with the QBs since!

The key here is that once he got offers from USC, Tennessee and such, he wasn't going to sign with Arizona anyway - That or he was going to de-commit before signing day.. ALTHOUGH pretty stupid comment by a coach thinking they could get a better prospect.
No Bandwagon Here! Always a Cat!
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

catinfl wrote:
ANGCatFan wrote:Wow! I count 5 years of college. We need to hire Linwood's compliance and eligibility person immediately.
If I remember correctly he had bad academics at SC and maybe he got that extra year and red-shirted a different year or something. Don't know how he got in, but I'm glad he did! Dude deserves a shot to run a team and I'll follow him this year.
I'm impressed that you'll be able to locate Linwood in order to follow him. I have zero idea what conference, city or state Linwood University is located in. In fact, I just learned an institution named Linwood University existed.
wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

It's in Saint Charles, MO. A burb of STL.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

wyo-cat wrote:It's in Saint Charles, MO. A burb of STL.
Well, inside 10 minutes, I learned Linwood U exists, where it's located and the fact Jesse Scroggins will quarterback their football team. It's been a very enlightening close to my lunch break.
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
wyo-cat wrote:It's in Saint Charles, MO. A burb of STL.
Well, inside 10 minutes, I learned Linwood U exists, where it's located and the fact Jesse Scroggins will quarterback their football team. It's been a very enlightening close to my lunch break.
I know someone whose daughter plays softball there. Or I would, also, have no idea of its existence.

Lindenwood, tho. Correct?
RazorsEdgeAZ

Post by RazorsEdgeAZ »

Merkin wrote:Scheer posted that Scroggins is QBing again at Linwood University.

http://www.lindenwoodlions.com/roster.a" target="_blank ... h=football

I think that's an old Scroggins bio. Went to Lindenwood after UA. Scroggins playing pro IFL ball with Salt Lake team along with UA center Steven Gurrola
azgreg

Post by azgreg »