Official Anu Solomon Appreciation Thread

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

eoe

Re: Official Anu Solomon Appreciation Thread

Post by eoe »

Merkin wrote:But you can't blame the OL for the 8 sacks, and the pick 6. Those were pretty much all on Anu when he panicked in the pocket.

Great defensive adjustment by BSU forcing Solomon to sit back there and actually have to think instead of react.
Uhhh, that's exactly what you can do. :lol: :lol: :lol:

The Boise St. DLine blew our "experienced" OL off the spot all game long. It was fucking embarrassing.
Salty

Post by Salty »

Our OL has been awful all year.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Salty wrote:Our OL has been awful all year.
No it hasn't.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Everything was awful this year, leading to a PAC south championship victory over ASSU and a tight game in the Fiesta Bowl. Everything sucks.
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
AZCatGirl

Post by AZCatGirl »

Olsondogg wrote:Everything was awful this year, leading to a PAC south championship victory over ASSU and a tight game in the Fiesta Bowl. Everything sucks.
The Fiesta Bowl was over in the first quarter. The final score doesn't mean it was a tight game.
“The reality is that the hardest games to win are over teams on their home court. Teams that don’t play those games can spin it however they want, but what they’re saying is, ‘We don’t want to lose in our non conference season.’" - Sean Miller
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

AZCatGirl wrote:
Olsondogg wrote:Everything was awful this year, leading to a PAC south championship victory over ASSU and a tight game in the Fiesta Bowl. Everything sucks.
The Fiesta Bowl was over in the first quarter. The final score doesn't mean it was a tight game.
It was 1 play with a 2 point conversion away from being tied from inside the 10 yard line. That defines a tight game.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

AZCatGirl wrote:
Score was a lot closer than the game was. Even if Anu didn't have a brain fart and scored a TD end of game, Cats still would have had to score from 3 yards out, with the call going to be Jones-Grigsby up the middle for 1 yard.
Salty

Post by Salty »

azgreg wrote:
No it hasn't.
Yeah, it has.
AZCatGirl

Post by AZCatGirl »

azgreg wrote:
AZCatGirl wrote:
It was 1 play with a 2 point conversion away from being tied from inside the 10 yard line. That defines a tight game.
But we didn't have a chance of winning the way things were going. Even if we got the touchdown, we weren't getting the two point conversion the way Anu was playing.
“The reality is that the hardest games to win are over teams on their home court. Teams that don’t play those games can spin it however they want, but what they’re saying is, ‘We don’t want to lose in our non conference season.’" - Sean Miller
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Salty wrote:
azgreg wrote:
No it hasn't.
Yeah, it has.
There were many games where they were a disappointment, UCLA for example. However, there were games where they played well, At Oregon for example.
3goggles

Post by 3goggles »

AZCatGirl wrote:
azgreg wrote:
AZCatGirl wrote:
But we didn't have a chance of winning the way things were going. Even if we got the touchdown, we weren't getting the two point conversion the way Anu was playing.
I am sorry but you're an idiot! They had a chance and came up short. Clearly we didn't play at all but we shut them down in the second half and they played as bad as we did in that half. But to say we didn't have a chance is just ignorant on your part!
ANGCatFan

Post by ANGCatFan »

Sporting News with a story on Anu.
A year ago at this time, Solomon was competing with as many as five quarterbacks for the starting job, including some with more recruiting stars and more experience. Rodriguez told him then that experience means nothing — whoever practices the best plays on fall Saturdays.

The same exact thing he told Solomon, who threw for nearly 4,000 yards and accounted for 30 touchdowns last season, when spring practice began this time around.

Think about that: a player who is primed to become one of the game’s elite says his one goal this spring is to “gain back coach Rod’s trust.”

This is the way Rodriguez works, how he takes less-hyped players (see: recruiting stars) and turns them into giants in the game (White, Steve Slaton, Denard Robinson).

How he takes programs that shouldn’t rise to the elite of the nation because of history or geography or any other long-held excuse, and carries them within a handful of plays of the unthinkable.

Eight years ago, he had West Virginia a game away from playing for the BCS National Championship. You better believe he can do the same thing at Arizona, a long-forgotten program that still hasn’t played in a Rose Bowl.

“We absolutely can win big here,” Solomon said.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

ANGCatFan

Post by ANGCatFan »

Campus Insiders has a countdown of their own:

After leading all FBS freshman QBs in passing yards in 2014, @arizonafball's Anu Solomon is poised for a big 2015! #BearDown #HardEdge
Good reminder to the country that not only is Anu the nation's top returning Freshman QB, but also that the Wildcats are running away from Assu.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

He threw a TD pass on tgat play to Grant which ended up being the difference.

South title as a freshman and should only get better. Dude wins championships
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
ANGCatFan

Post by ANGCatFan »

From Anu's Instagram:

Has anyone ever heard or read how much interest USC ever showed in Anu?
RichardCranium

Post by RichardCranium »

ANGCatFan wrote: Good reminder to the country that not only is Anu the nation's top returning Freshman QB, but also that the Wildcats are running away from Assu.
I know what you mean to say, but that last phrase could have been better worded.

Cats don't run away from anyone, least of all Assu. Anytime, anywhere, bring it on.
Any sufficiently advanced troll is indistinguishable from a genuine kook.
ANGCatFan

Post by ANGCatFan »

Bleacher Report article (which is not worth your click) on players who could be headed for a Sophomore slump. Here is there blurb on Solomon:

Arizona broke through in Rich Rodriguez’s third season last fall, winning 10 games and making a Fiesta Bowl appearance. A huge reason why? Freshman quarterback Anu Solomon. Solomon won a summer quarterback derby and excelled, throwing for 3,793 yards and 28 touchdowns (both Arizona freshman records).

He is a talented passer, but there are concerns about how he’ll be protected this fall. Arizona returns just two starting offensive linemen and must replace both tackles from a year ago. The Wildcats have a talented core of skill players surrounding Solomon, but it could be hard for him to find time to connect with them if the offensive line struggles.
I'm certainly worried about the center position, but it looks like the rest of the line will be solid. Everything I have seen makes me believe that Anu will take a big leap forward this season. He has prepared his body, improved his speed, he looked much more in control in the spring game than he did last spring, he has taken leadership of the team, and he has that crucial first year of experience in the system.

I'm an unabashed homer, but I would put Anu in the opposite category, "Players ready for a super Sophomore season." He led all FBS Freshman QBs last year despite hobbling through the second half of the year and a 58% completion rate. A fitter, smarter, healthy, mechanically sounder Solomon should make a big jump in performance and help take the Wildcat offense to a new level. I'm looking forward to another record breaking season for the offense, my bigger concern is can the defense improve their performance.
OSUCat

Post by OSUCat »

Well, that reasoning seemed a bit off for me so I had a quick look.

Sacks allowed per game: 2.86/ 107th nationally
Sacks allowed: 40/ 113th nationally

Ya, I wouldn't say that the offensive line was the reason Anu had a good freshman season.
Formerly Lynx Rufus.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

The sack stat can be kind of misleading. I believe that the NCAA counts it as a sack if the QB is stopped short of the LOS even if it's an obvious running play.
ANGCatFan

Post by ANGCatFan »

From NFL.com on surprise Heisman contenders:
Mike Huguenin

College Football 24/7

Big numbers, Arizona wins could boost Solomon's stock

Arizona quarterback Anu Solomon rolled up 4,084 yards of total offense as a redshirt freshman last season and helped the Wildcats win 10 games, including a regular-season win at Oregon. Expect bigger numbers from him this fall in his second season in coach Rich Rodriguez's quarterback-friendly version of the spread. Arizona is a threat to win 10 games again, so his numbers and Arizona's victory total could lead to Solomon being a surprise Heisman contender.

ANGCatFan

Post by ANGCatFan »

Espn blog on the best win for P12 South QBs.
Anu Solomon | October 3, 2014 | Arizona 31, Oregon 24

Anu Solomon and Arizona surprised the nation with their upset win at Oregon last season. AP Photo/Rick Scuteri

A season after the Wildcats dismantled the Ducks, 42-16, the college football world expected Oregon to administer payback at home. After all, Ka'Deem Carey was no longer around, and Rich Rodriguez was trotting the redshirt freshman Solomon into the notoriously sharp teeth of Autzen Stadium. Even after Arizona stunned the crowd into silence when they took a 24-14 late third-quarter lead, there was a feeling that the Ducks would dig in and stop the nonsense. But Solomon wouldn't let them -- even after Oregon tied the score at 24 in the fourth quarter. The young quarterback responded by leading Arizona on a 15-play, 71-yard dagger of a drive that ignited the Wildcats' Pac-12 South title run. This was a "coming of age" performance at its best.
ANGCatFan

Post by ANGCatFan »

Here's a nice little interview with Anu from a Hawaiian TV station. Interesting note from the report, there are only 20 sophomores on the Maxwell watch list and Arizona has 2 of them. Imagine how many players we could have on the list if the coaches payed attention to message boards instead of doing their own evaluations.
Sage&Silver

Post by Sage&Silver »

ANGCatFan wrote:Here's a nice little interview with Anu from a Hawaiian TV station. Interesting note from the report, there are only 20 sophomores on the Maxwell watch list and Arizona has 2 of them. Imagine how many players we could have on the list if the coaches payed attention to message boards instead of doing their own evaluations.
*cough* both 4-Star guys *cough*

:D
ANGCatFan

Post by ANGCatFan »

Good point. And our 2 Bednarik watch list players are Will Parks, a 3 star DB, and Scooby Wright III who I can't even find his star rating on the internet.

In year 4 I'm convinced that our coaches know a little bit about recruiting, evaluations, and development.

Also, turn your head when you cough. It is only polite.
TuiTouchdown

Post by TuiTouchdown »

Interesting to note that Willy from Philly is the only Senior of those 4 players. Speaks well to our youth. (Even if Scooby will be gone after next season)
ANGCatFan

Post by ANGCatFan »

Espn blog broke down the south QBs today.
GREAT SHAPE

Arizona: The Wildcats and Anu Solomon could probably qualify as being in "Good shape" as much as "Great shape." But we're giving Solomon the benefit of the doubt that he's going to be even stronger in Year 2 as a starter. And the fact that he's got a lot of really talented weapons around him. His completion percentage (58 percent) needs to rise, but his 28-9 touchdown-to-interception ratio was outstanding for the redshirt freshman, who threw for 3,793 yards. There's not much experience behind him. But Jerrard Randall did see time in five games last year.
I find it funny that they spend so much time justifying putting Anu in the "Great Shape" category. He freakin' led all CFB Freshman in production last year even while limping through the 2nd half of the year!

Anu is in much better shape and a year more experienced. We are clearly in GREAT shape at quarterback!
ANGCatFan

Post by ANGCatFan »

Bleacher Reports' Sean Frye ranks the P12 QBs. Anu comes in at #3 behind Bercovici and Kessler.
One of the most electric athletes in the Pac-12 before a late-season ankle injury hampered him, Anu Solomon was the only quarterback to score a win over Marcus Mariota a season ago.

In that early-October win over Oregon, Solomon was quiet but efficient. He finished with 287 yards, a touchdown and a pick on 20-of-31 passing.

In total, Solomon finished 2014 with 3,793 yards and 28 touchdowns to just nine interceptions.

With a full year under his belt, Solomon should be poised to be among the league's best quarterbacks and could have the type of breakout sophomore season that Jared Goff at California experienced, especially with Rich Rodriguez as his head coach.
I'll be shocked if Bercovici outplays Goff, Solomon, or Kessler in his first year as a full time starter. Strong is gone and you can only throw to Foster so many times. Foster is great after the catch, but he will not be the receiving threat that Strong was.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

ANGCatFan wrote:Bleacher Reports' Sean Frye ranks the P12 QBs. Anu comes in at #3 behind Bercovici and Kessler.
One of the most electric athletes in the Pac-12 before a late-season ankle injury hampered him, Anu Solomon was the only quarterback to score a win over Marcus Mariota a season ago.

In that early-October win over Oregon, Solomon was quiet but efficient. He finished with 287 yards, a touchdown and a pick on 20-of-31 passing.

In total, Solomon finished 2014 with 3,793 yards and 28 touchdowns to just nine interceptions.

With a full year under his belt, Solomon should be poised to be among the league's best quarterbacks and could have the type of breakout sophomore season that Jared Goff at California experienced, especially with Rich Rodriguez as his head coach.
I'll be shocked if Bercovici outplays Goff, Solomon, or Kessler in his first year as a full time starter. Strong is gone and you can only throw to Foster so many times. Foster is great after the catch, but he will not be the receiving threat that Strong was.
I think Berco is going to be pretty good, but I agree he might be a year away.
FightWildcatsFight

Post by FightWildcatsFight »

azgreg wrote:
ANGCatFan wrote:Bleacher Reports' Sean Frye ranks the P12 QBs. Anu comes in at #3 behind Bercovici and Kessler.

I think Berco is going to be pretty good, but I agree he might be a year away.
Fortunately this is his last year of college ball as a RS Senior. The AZDesertSwarm podcast doesn't think very highly of Berco, saying he won't even be the starter by the end of the season.

I think he has some really quirky personality traits but a full offseason of 1st team reps will help anyone become a better QB.
FightWildcatsFight

Post by FightWildcatsFight »

ANGCatFan

Post by ANGCatFan »

Bleacher Report predicts the MVP for each team. Here is their explanation why ours is Anu:
Scooby Wright is unquestionably Arizona's best individual player, having led the nation in several defensive categories and winning three major awards in 2014. But the linebacker's great play won't be as important to the Wildcats' success this year as what his team's quarterback does after a promising but frustrating first season.

Solomon was equal parts masterful and unnerving for Arizona as a redshirt freshman, throwing for 3,793 yards and 28 touchdowns with just nine interceptions on 540 attempts. But Solomon took far too many sacks and wasn't accurate, completing only 58 percent of his throws, showing his youth too often in critical moments.

Better decision-making from Solomon will enable Arizona to maintain what it did last season, when it won the Pac-12 South and reached 10 victories. If he doesn't progress, the Wildcats take a step back.
I think many national analysts go off 2 things when they write about Anu; his Freshman stats and his final 2 games. Outside of the last 2 games it appears the only thing time they saw Anu play was on highlights. Consequently, it is hard for them to reconcile the most productive Freshman QB in the country with the player they watched against Oregon and Boise St to end the year.

How often do you see stories that mention Anu being limited by his ankle injury late in the year? Some of these writers seem more interested in giving Anu blame for our 4 losses instead of realizing what he accomplished leading Arizona to 10 wins.

On a kool aid serving positive note, this is the type of analysis that allows the returning champion of the toughest division in CFB to return all of its skill positions and the best defensive player in the country and still be overlooked. Fine by me. Beat ucla and everyone will have to look at Arizona.
Last edited by ANGCatFan on Wed Jul 29, 2015 7:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
OSUCat

Post by OSUCat »

FightWildcatsFight wrote:
That is great to hear!
Formerly Lynx Rufus.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Great way to start the,season. Getting a big win in the most important battle
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

ANGCatFan

Post by ANGCatFan »

Nick Latta at AST with a reminder of Anu's Freshman year.

I'm a kool aid serving fan that expects a big jump for Solomon this year. He has proven he knows how to perform under pressure. This year we will see a drop off in mistakes, improved completion %, and quicker decisions.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

How many of those records are by true freshman?

Sadly, even if he breaks every UA record, he will only go down as a "system" QB.
Last edited by Merkin on Fri Aug 14, 2015 8:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Catstatic

Post by Catstatic »

I don't think there is any doubt that, barring injury, Solomon will hold all the passing records at Arizona, and only another 4 year starter will be able to approach them. He surpassed my expectations, though the first 3 quarters in his first Pac game (California) had me somewhat concerned. He followed it with the most magical quarter I can remember, so all is well.

My one issue at the end of the year is he seemed to focus the majority of his throws toward the right sidelines. Can't remember which game but I screamed at the TV, "Please throw one over the middle!". Next play, over the middle on a deep post to Grant and TD!

If Solomon uses the entire field this season, with the skill position players we have, the offense may be as close to unstoppable as we have ever seen. Here's hoping!

Go Cats!!
ANGCatFan

Post by ANGCatFan »

Gimino on Anu at TNN.
"I tell you what," said quarterbacks coach and co-offensive coordinator Rod Smith, "it's a lot less stressful now because he's in a better place mentally than last year.

"I don't want to say there's not as much teaching going on, but there's not as much teaching going on. Now, it's more correcting and tweaking rather than teaching because he has a better understanding of what we're doing."

. . .

Solomon's offseason work focused on acceleration and speed. He's not an overall athlete like Rodriguez's first quarterback at Arizona, Matt Scott, or the runner that was RichRod's second QB, B.J. Denker. Where Solomon got into trouble last year was in the second half of the season when a foot injury stole his ability to threaten defenses on the ground in the zone-read scheme. That's a must.

Solomon's running style might best be described as "crafty," which is why he focused his offseason training on improving his acceleration and speed. We'll see the results Sept. 3 when the Wildcats open against UTSA.

"You don't make excuses, and it's not, but as the same time he wasn't the same player," Smith said of Solomon's foot injury. "He just wasn't. I mean, it is what it is. But at the same time, he's a tough kid. He tried to play through it. He still had some good moments in spots, even injured."

. . .

Put your faith in Anu. He's ready to make all kinds of new impressions.

"Everyone is looking up to me," Solomon said.

"I can't mess up. ... I can't be that guy who hides. I have to be the guy who steps forward and makes sure everyone is on point."
RazorsEdgeAZ

Post by RazorsEdgeAZ »

ANGCatFan wrote:Gimino on Anu at TNN
I'll post the Rich Rod quotes regarding Anu from Gimino article:
Now, the reality check.

"As much as I tease Anu and get on him, when you look back on it, he really had a pretty good year. For a redshirt freshman, he was phenomenal," Rodriguez said.

"Football is really important to him, so I thought in the offseason he did a great job. He'll be a better player. I think Anu is poised for a big year. And I think any coach will say it -- you can't have success unless that guy plays pretty well. And Anu played pretty well last year."
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

And I think any coach will say it -- you can't have success unless that guy (the QB) plays pretty well

RichRod with his Captain Obvious impression.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Meanwhile, Jesse Scroggins ....

Year 6.

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/college/ ... b8849.html
Right where I want to be.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Hope he has a great year.
azpenguin

Post by azpenguin »

Well, Chief did tell me the past two years that Scroggins would be starting. Third time's the charm!
ANGCatFan

Post by ANGCatFan »

Excellent interview of Anu and his parents at CBS Sports.
Last edited by ANGCatFan on Thu Sep 10, 2015 10:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

gumby wrote:Meanwhile, Jesse Scroggins ....

Year 6.

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/college/ ... b8849.html
Scroggins, 23, contemplated entering his name in the NFL draft in the spring before discovering his chance to play another season. Lindenwood will be his fourth team at three different levels of college football.

“It didn’t hit me until practice started,” Scroggins said. “I was like, ‘I’m in St. Louis. I’m getting a master’s degree. I’m playing football again.

“Hot damn, I’m winning.”
Yeah....no.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

azgreg

Post by azgreg »

TheGreatCatsby

Post by TheGreatCatsby »

At this point in his career, given his strengths and weaknesses, I'd say Anu is a good quarterback, a solid quarterback, at least slightly-above-average college quarterback, but I certainly wouldn't call him great yet. RichRod's system does inflate a qb's numbers a bit. With 73 pass attempts last year in the Cal game, that's going to give any qb a good chance to rack up yardage. But given that's he's just a redshirt sophomore, I'm hoping he can make another leap or two before his career is through.

Anu obviously does need to work on accuracy, especially overthrows, and he does get tunnel vision running everything to the right side alot of times. Sometimes I wonder why defenses just don't pile up 4 dbs over on the right because it's where he seems to go all the time when he gets himself locked into that train of thought. So I would like to see him utilize more of the field more, given the speed we have with our receivers in getting them the ball with more open space to make plays, especially the open left side of the field when the ball is on the right hash. Anu also has some decision making improvements to make as well.

But to give him credit, Anu does have decent field of vision at times, fairly athletic, pretty durable so far, a toughness to him, fair decision making skills at times, decent runner, and has good arm strength, so just hoping for further natural progression. In my view he is at, or perhaps slightly ahead of, of where I expected he would be at this point in his career.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Not too shabby.