Fired Casteel

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Harvey Specter

Re: Fire Casteel

Post by Harvey Specter »

Merkin wrote:
That seems like a ridiculous statement to make about a guy who has (what appears to be) 2 years of experience doing actual recruiting, and has not been able to do any for 4 years.

On the surface it sure looks like cheerleading to me. While it would be AWESOME to add a great recruiter to the staff, I kind of hope that it is... Because if he can say that this guy truly is the best recruiter without having been able to do any since his time at UC - that doesn't say much for the rest of our current staff.

Whatever the case, sounds like he was a really good college DB, and we seem to have some talent in the secondary that has dramatically underperformed. Hopefully he can upgrade their performance and help them realize their potential.
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

Harvey Specter wrote:
Merkin wrote:
That seems like a ridiculous statement to make about a guy who has (what appears to be) 2 years of experience doing actual recruiting, and has not been able to do any for 4 years.

On the surface it sure looks like cheerleading to me. While it would be AWESOME to add a great recruiter to the staff, I kind of hope that it is... Because if he can say that this guy truly is the best recruiter without having been able to do any since his time at UC - that doesn't say much for the rest of our current staff.

Whatever the case, sounds like he was a really good college DB, and we seem to have some talent in the secondary that has dramatically underperformed. Hopefully he can upgrade their performance and help them realize their potential.
Jason is grasping for straws. He's a business man first and foremost.
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

Also, Jason isn't reaching too far. If this guy is already the best recruiter on staff.....doesn't say much about the staff's recruiting, does it? Addae will get SoCal to I speculate. That's a tough assignment for a near rookie coach. I'll put the popcorn on.
catinfl

Post by catinfl »

Addae is a proven recruiter. Did well at Cincinnati
"Addae has also been recognized by Rivals.com as one of the top-10 recruiters in the BIG EAST Conference in 2010-11."http://www.gobearcats.com/sports/m-foot ... ile00.html
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

catinfl wrote:Addae is a proven recruiter. Did well at Cincinnati
"Addae has also been recognized by Rivals.com as one of the top-10 recruiters in the BIG EAST Conference in 2010-11."http://www.gobearcats.com/sports/m-foot ... ile00.html

Proven....I like that word. Top ten in the Big East Conference! Look out Eddie O! We got ourselves a proven recruiter! :D
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Chief, you must be so much fun at the holidays. Telling everyone they could have gotten a better gift for cheaper if they had only listened to you....
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

Chicat wrote:Chief, you must be so much fun at the holidays. Telling everyone they could have gotten a better gift for cheaper if they had only listened to you....

No. Even better than that. I spend the holidays alone. Merry Christmas Chi.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

At least you can warm yourself in the glow of all the people who like and respect you on the internet.

Oh wait......
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

Chicat wrote:At least you can warm yourself in the glow of all the people who like and respect you on the internet.

Oh wait......

No soul glow. I enjoy being the Grinch of Arizona Football.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

chiefzona wrote:
Chicat wrote:At least you can warm yourself in the glow of all the people who like and respect you on the internet.

Oh wait......
I enjoy being the Grinch of Arizona Football.
Thank you for admitting this, but you suck at trolling. You try way too hard.
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

Chicat wrote:
chiefzona wrote:

Oh wait......
I enjoy being the Grinch of Arizona Football.
Thank you for admitting this, but you suck at trolling. You try way too hard.

Oh it's not self titled it's actually coined. There aren't any trolls on this board. Everyone here was invited onto this board at one point so your theory is wrong there. For basically not posting very much at all, and off this board for a whole year, I would say I'm not trying at all. :lol:
gronk4heisman

Post by gronk4heisman »

chiefzona wrote:
Oh it's not self titled it's actually coined. There aren't any trolls on this board. Everyone here was invited onto this board at one point so your theory is wrong there. For basically not posting very much at all, and off this board for a whole year, I would say I'm not trying at all. :lol:
A year in which our football team performed much better then expected.....Coincidence, I don't think so.

Definition: troll
One who posts a deliberately provocative message to a newsgroup or message board with the intention of causing maximum disruption and argument.

There could not be anymore accurate of a description of you Chief than the definition above.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

What does being "invited" have to do with not being a troll? Are you familiar with enfuego?
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

So, has Casteel been fired yet?
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Pot stirrer
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

azcat49 wrote:Pot stirrer
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

UAEebs86 wrote:What does being "invited" have to do with not being a troll? Are you familiar with enfuego?

A troll is never invited. A troll isn't on a board of the school he went to. Enfuego sounds like a cologne comparable to sex panther.
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

gronk4heisman wrote:
chiefzona wrote:
A year in which our football team performed much better then expected.....Coincidence, I don't think so.

Definition: troll
One who posts a deliberately provocative message to a newsgroup or message board with the intention of causing maximum disruption and argument.

There could not be anymore accurate of a description of you Chief than the definition above.
Message boards are all about opinion. Everyone gives their opinions. Whether it's what you want to hear or not, you alone have the choice of how you respond if at all. I am more an anti-homer which is better IMO than listening to a Homer spout bs and then defend his bs to the death. Then, that homer completely loses his credibility when it all comes crashing down. Somewhere in the middle is probably preferred. Thanks for your opinion though and Merry Christmas.
Gladiator Cat

Post by Gladiator Cat »

Harvey Specter wrote:
Merkin wrote:

Good lord, at times I feel like I'm living under a rock when it comes to UofA football.

Am I the only person on the site that has never even heard of the name Jahmile Addae. I have never, not once ever seen the name in written form or even mentioned in passing as being apart of the staff. And now this guy is our DB coach and he is somehow annoyted as the best recruiter on the staff.

Are people actually trying to run this mindless shallow meme as serious.

For crying out-loud, I've seen desperate fans and insiders grasping at goofy ass straws before to rationalize something, but this announcement has got yo be equal to raving mad football groupies grasping at planets and solar systems.

Some guy working in some internal staff capacity that no one has ever heard of is now been promoted over longtime coach Lockwood as our new DB coach and he's apparently is the best recruiter we have on staff.

OK.....................................sure. Now I've heard the whopper of all time whoppers. People will believe any ******** thing their told.
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

Gladiator Cat wrote:
Harvey Specter wrote:
Merkin wrote:

Good lord, at times I feel like I'm living under a rock when it comes to UofA football.

Am I the only person on the site that has never even heard of the name Jahmile Addae. I have never, not once ever seen the name in written form or even mentioned in passing as being apart of the staff. And now this guy is our DB coach and he is somehow annoyted as the best recruiter on the staff.

For crying out-loud, I've seen desperate fans and insiders grasping at goofy ass straws before to rationalize something, but this announcement has got yo be equal to raving mad football groupies grasping at planets and solar systems.

Some guy working in some internal staff capacity that no one has ever heard of is now been promoted over longtime coach Lockwood as our new DB coach and he's apparently is the best recruiter we have on staff.

OK.....................................sure. Now I've heard the whopper of all time whoppers. People will believe any ******** thing their told.
It's completely ridiculous. He also might be given SoCal as his recruiting area. I saw some pundits on Twitter making fun of other PAC 12 schools in hiring new assistants who have never had the job before. Well, then comes this hire and now those same pundits are praising this hire. It's all propaganda and profit. This kid has never coached corners in his life yet they gave him that position to coach a position that is very important and there aren't very good corners on this team. It's a joke.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Gladiator Cat wrote:
Harvey Specter wrote:
Merkin wrote:

Looking at his bio on the UA AD page he was the film guy. And being the film guy not allowed to recruit.

But sometimes a blind squirrel can find a nut. Wasn't Charlie Ragle the film guy before RichRod made him the special teams coordinator and tight ends coach. Skowron and Riggleman were walk ons and now are some of the best special teams players we have had in recent history. Last season Skowron didn't miss a single PAT.
Gladiator Cat

Post by Gladiator Cat »

Yes Chief, you are stating the obvious, but we have a faction that will die before admitting how morbid it all is.

So we've had this special unknown person working in the belly of Arizona Stadium for I guess about three years now doing what I don't know and lo and behold he really was a DB coach in waiting and better than Lockwood, and the additional kicker is, this unknown person is also the best recruiter, but we just kept him under wraps for the hell of it.

I'm seriously suppose to believe this nonsense.

But of course you are a troll for pointing out what should be clear as day. I'm sure I'll be added to some mysterious troll list as well for daring to voice my trollish opinion.

And the new guy no one has heard of is in charge of So. Cal.

OK! This should be fun to watch.
gronk4heisman

Post by gronk4heisman »

Gladiator Cat wrote:Yes Chief, you are stating the obvious, but we have a faction that will die before admitting how morbid it all is.

So we've had this special unknown person working in the belly of Arizona Stadium for I guess about three years now doing what I don't know and lo and behold he really was a DB coach in waiting and better than Lockwood, and the additional kicker is, this unknown person is also the best recruiter, but we just kept him under wraps for the hell of it.

But of course you are a troll for pointing out what should be clear as day. I'm sure I'll be added to some mysterious troll list as well for daring to voice my trollish opinion.

You are aware saying the he is the best recruiter on our staff now is like saying I am the tallest person at a dwarf gathering. Its not really that hard to believe due to the fact that the rest of our staff is awful recruiters. Hell, two of our defensive coaches apparently don't even leave Tucson to recruit. I don't see anyone saying he is a better coach then Lockwood, but lets be honest it would be hard to be any worse. If you are going to run out there shitty coaches with a shitty scheme, and poorly prepared players you should at least have the guys who have the best shot of landing talent.
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

Merkin wrote:
Gladiator Cat wrote:
Harvey Specter wrote:
Merkin wrote:

Looking at his bio on the UA AD page he was the film guy. And being the film guy not allowed to recruit.

But sometimes a blind squirrel can find a nut. Wasn't Charlie Ragle the film guy before RichRod made him the special teams coordinator and tight ends coach. Skowron and Riggleman were walk ons and now are some of the best special teams players we have had in recent history. Last season Skowron didn't miss a single PAT.

Ragle doesn't coach the kickers. They have an outsourced coach that does that.
Gladiator Cat

Post by Gladiator Cat »

gronk4heisman wrote:
Gladiator Cat wrote:Yes Chief, you are stating the obvious, but we have a faction that will die before admitting how morbid it all is.

You are aware saying the he is the best recruiter on our staff now is like saying I am the tallest person at a dwarf gathering. Its not really that hard to believe due to the fact that the rest of our staff is awful recruiters. Hell, two of our defensive coaches apparently don't even leave Tucson to recruit. I don't see anyone saying he is a better coach then Lockwood, but lets be honest it would be hard to be any worse. If you are going to run out there shitty coaches with a shitty scheme, and poorly prepared players you should at least have the guys who have the best shot of landing talent.
Gronk, did you actually write what you just wrote with a straight face?

Your justification for the shit we have seen in recruiting is based on what you wrote above. Are you serious?

OMG, I don't know how to response to what you wrote. There is literally zero logic, meaning, commonsense or rational context in your thesis.

Hire a film guy with no experience in the hopes that he may be better than the substandard recruiter's we already have on staff or who don't have to travel and recruit?

OMG, let me crawl back under my rock. Sorry Your rebuttal is beyond lowering the bar of rationality.
gronk4heisman

Post by gronk4heisman »

Gladiator Cat wrote:
gronk4heisman wrote:

Your justification for the shit we have seen in recruiting is based on what you wrote above. Are you serious?

OMG, I don't know how to response to what you wrote. There is literally zero logic, meaning, commonsense or rational context in your thesis.

Hire a film guy with no experience in the hopes that he may be better than the substandard recruiter's we already have on staff or who don't have to travel and recruit?

OMG, let me crawl back under my rock. Sorry Your rebuttal is beyond lowering the bar of rationality.
OMG! OMG! As many have said in the past, Dudek is the best recruiter in our program but he is not on the staff. Explain that logic, it's really not hard to understand. Going out on the recruiting trail alone is already a step up from several of our current staff. How much do you think recruiting involves? For the most part it is just being the best used car salesman and being someone the kid's can relate to. Coaching on the other hand....
Gladiator Cat

Post by Gladiator Cat »

gronk4heisman wrote:
Gladiator Cat wrote:
gronk4heisman wrote:

OMG! OMG! As many have said in the past, Dudek is the best recruiter in our program but he is not on the staff. Explain that logic, it's really not hard to understand. Going out on the recruiting trail alone is already a step up from several of our current staff. How much do you think recruiting involves? For the most part it is just being the best used car salesman and being someone the kid's can relate to. Coaching on the other hand....
OK. Good luck to you if you think any of that is going to take Arizona football to the next level.
gronk4heisman

Post by gronk4heisman »

Good point since that's what I said. *sarcasm*
TuiTouchdown

Post by TuiTouchdown »

Wow these boards have really devolved into something ugly.

To get us back on track, for those who think Casteel should be fired, who would be on your list to replace him?
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

chiefzona wrote: Jason is grasping for straws.
chiefzona wrote:Also, Jason isn't reaching too far.
So, which one is it?
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

azgreg

Post by azgreg »

PieceOfMeat wrote:
So, which one is it?
He's not reaching to far for straws?
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

azgreg wrote:
PieceOfMeat wrote:
So, which one is it?
He's just got really short arms, so bendy straws are his mortal enemy.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

azgreg wrote:
PieceOfMeat wrote:
So, which one is it?
It makes sense. A straw is really more luxury than necessity, so I don't see why you'd really reach very far for one. Unless it's the straw that breaks the camel's back and you really love camels.
UALoco

Post by UALoco »

Possible change on the offensive side. Wonder if this would impact KT or DM.
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

azgreg wrote:
PieceOfMeat wrote:
So, which one is it?

This.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

UALoco wrote:Possible change on the offensive side. Wonder if this would impact KT or DM.

Would that be a step up? I think he is co coordinator or is he just the QB coach? Did he accept the offer?
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

azcat49 wrote:
UALoco wrote:Possible change on the offensive side. Wonder if this would impact KT or DM.

Would that be a step up? I think he is co coordinator or is he just the QB coach? Did he accept the offer?

Yes it would. He is co-coordinator and QB coach but we all know who runs the offense. He has not accepted nor denied the offer as of yet.
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

No need to worry. Sounds like Rod Smith turned the offer down.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Can we offer them Casteel instead?
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

azgreg wrote:Can we offer them Casteel instead?

Ha. No, he's primed for a top 10 defense and a national championship.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

chiefzona wrote:
azgreg wrote:Can we offer them Casteel instead?

Ha. No, he's primed for a top 10 defense and a national championship.
No, that would be Toad Graham
RazorsEdgeAZ

Post by RazorsEdgeAZ »

oh good, and some of you were concerned...

Azdesertswarm says success awaits the 3-3-5 and AZ defense. "Good things on on their way" for the defense. No worries...

Defensive recruiting too. Steady, Steady, steady...
But over the last four years, it's been getting progressively better, as you can see above. As Rich Rodriguez continues to bring in guys fit for his system -- and continues to bring in higher ranked guys -- this program will continue elevating towards greater success. Player development isn't going to happen overnight, or maybe even from year one to two, or year two to three. But when you dream about the possibility of Arizona running the 4-3 or 3-4, there aren't a whole lot of options to fill in, and 3-3-5 or not, Rich Rodriguez is still going to recruit the defensive linemen or linebackers he needs.

Because in all honesty, the defense doesn't have the complete personel to run any specific defense, and that's where the rise in recruiting will take over.But right now, this is Arizona Football. This program has never been to four-straight bowl games, and in four years, Rich Rodriguez already has a third of Arizona's bowl wins in program history. The 3-3-5 is here to stay with Jeff Casteel, and good things are on their way for this defense.

Maybe I missed an area of concern, maybe I reached a little too far in one area, but I'm just trying to lay everything out on the table when it comes to the 3-3-5. I see the arguments on both sides, but for right now, I fully believe in the 3-3-5 and Jeff Casteel. Also because I know that Casteel's services extended well beyond into recruiting.
http://www.azdesertswarm.com/football/2 ... -5-defense
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

RazorsEdgeAZ wrote:oh good, and some of you were concerned...

Azdesertswarm says success awaits the 3-3-5 and AZ defense. "Good things on on their way" for the defense. No worries...

Defensive recruiting too. Steady, Steady, steady...
But over the last four years, it's been getting progressively better, as you can see above. As Rich Rodriguez continues to bring in guys fit for his system -- and continues to bring in higher ranked guys -- this program will continue elevating towards greater success. Player development isn't going to happen overnight, or maybe even from year one to two, or year two to three. But when you dream about the possibility of Arizona running the 4-3 or 3-4, there aren't a whole lot of options to fill in, and 3-3-5 or not, Rich Rodriguez is still going to recruit the defensive linemen or linebackers he needs.

Because in all honesty, the defense doesn't have the complete personel to run any specific defense, and that's where the rise in recruiting will take over.But right now, this is Arizona Football. This program has never been to four-straight bowl games, and in four years, Rich Rodriguez already has a third of Arizona's bowl wins in program history. The 3-3-5 is here to stay with Jeff Casteel, and good things are on their way for this defense.

Maybe I missed an area of concern, maybe I reached a little too far in one area, but I'm just trying to lay everything out on the table when it comes to the 3-3-5. I see the arguments on both sides, but for right now, I fully believe in the 3-3-5 and Jeff Casteel. Also because I know that Casteel's services extended well beyond into recruiting.
http://www.azdesertswarm.com/football/2 ... -5-defense
Another puff piece... Shocking. Exhibit B in the past 2 days why I find the notion that fan website moderators are "journalists" to be laughable. I have no problem with them being cheerleaders, except for their insistence to the contrary. Casteel's services better extend beyond recruiting, because they do not include it.

First the declaration that a film coordinator promoted to assistant is immediately the "best recruiter on the staff" - and now this.

smh
Dkenner

Post by Dkenner »

does anyone know how good of a DB coach Addae is yet? cause I got a cousin flipping burgers that thinks he can coach too!
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

Dkenner wrote:does anyone know how good of a DB coach Addae is yet? cause I got a cousin flipping burgers that thinks he can coach too!

Hey DK.....Lockwood was garbage. This Addae kid hasn't even coached one game as a CB coach. We all know the real problem is Casteel but hey, let's get your cousin in the mix.
cordera89

Post by cordera89 »

chief, Lockwood made a good decision of stepping down as the DB coaches, He probably going to get offer from WVU under Gibson lead. Now giving addae first time as an assistant coaches, Let see what he can do with our Defense Backs. Of course we all know that we can still keep blame Casteel as the real threat but until other wise, it RR decision to make that change.
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

Dkenner wrote:does anyone know how good of a DB coach Addae is yet? cause I got a cousin flipping burgers that thinks he can coach too!
It doesn't matter... Talent wins games and he is already the best recruiter on the staff. WooHoo!
RazorsEdgeAZ

Post by RazorsEdgeAZ »

I assume Casteel earned a hefty raise last year because of Scooby. Assume that Scooby merits submitted as a reason to give Casteel a raise. Casteel is now the highest paid DC in P12. Will be top 1, 2, 3 or 4 next season. He's likely just not going to give that up on his own. Not many would. That's RR's job.

If any of you were making $700k a year to take care of your family, would you volunteer to give that away? I wouldn't. Just base it on performance.
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

RazorsEdgeAZ wrote:I assume Casteel earned a hefty raise last year because of Scooby. Assume that Scooby merits submitted as a reason to give Casteel a raise. Casteel is now the highest paid DC in P12. Will be top 1, 2, 3 or 4 next season. He's likely just not going to give that up on his own. Not many would. That's RR's job.

If any of you were making $700k a year to take care of your family, would you volunteer to give that away? I wouldn't. Just base it on performance.
That is a travesty if true, and makes Cordera's suggestion that 'we couldn't pay enough to lure a good DC' exposed for being the foolish & defeatist assumption it is. Think Casteel will ever release whatever compromising photos of RR that he must have?

Is there a more overpaid coach in college FB? I suspect not, when you factor in the 'star treatment' that he receives; highest salary in the conference and exempt from having to recruit? #Embarrassing.
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

Christ GC, do you ever stop and do some research before overreacting? Addae has been on staff for a couple of years, but not in a coaching role, so at least RR knows him. Before that he was at Cincinnati where he did have a coaching role for a couple of years and was a respected recruiter.

This is a standard hire-a-young-guy-with-energy move. Nothing more, nothing less. Lockwood did jack with the secondary, so he needed to be replaced. Will Addae be a boom or a bust? No one knows at this point, but you've got the f_cking sky crashing down over a db coach hire already.

And IF he and he alone gets SoCal like Chief claims, which, btw, is still a rumor so far mentioned only by one internet guy, then things might very well be trending toward bust. But we don't know that yet.

You aren't a troll, GC, but ya sure are a chicken little.
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy