Welcome Aboard Marcel Yates Arizona's New DC

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

azgreg

Re: Who will be Arizona's new DC?

Post by azgreg »

BearDown89 wrote:My coaching buddy here says Harsin is not fun to work for.
It appears he's right.
http://www.idahostatesman.com/sports/co ... 31795.html" target="_blank
Yates leaves after two years as the Broncos’ defensive coordinator and less than a week after offensive coordinator Eliah Drinkwitz left the program for North Carolina State. Coach Bryan Harsin’s original offensive coordinator, Mike Sanford, also left after one year.

Harsin didn’t retain his defensive coordinator or half of his co-offensive coordinator duo from his first year as a head coach at Arkansas State.
UALoco

Post by UALoco »

Well, this is a business and now RR is truly making "pro" moves. Forget relationships, forget loyalty, pick up the best and most hungry. It will become a family again when they go through the fire together.
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

Absolutely fired up about both of these hires... Give me all the shit I have coming. My fears were unfounded about how this might go down - and I am really glad I was dead wrong.
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

Throw some $$$ at joe salave'a and make this a trifecta.
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

Joe Joe Joe Joe Joe Joe Joe Joe! I am doing the dance! Time for the Shaman to start chanting, sage to be burning, and the drums to be beating......fire is burning.
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

Joe Joe Joe Joe Joe Joe Joe Joe! I am doing the dance! Time for the Shaman to start chanting, sage to be burning, and the drums to be beating......fire is burning.
threenumberones

Post by threenumberones »

3goggles wrote:It's not official I know but what a great weekend to be a mother fucking Wildcat! Bear down!!!
Seriously. And the Cards winning to boot. Hell of a weekend!
azpenguin

Post by azpenguin »

Salavea makes $325k. Coach K made $268k. It would probably take somewhere in the neighborhood of $400k to pull him, and I don't know if there's a buyout in the deal he just signed. That's a lot of money for a position coach. Still, I don't know their coaching budget and if they're working some voodoo behind the scenes or what Yates and Williams are being paid compared to their predecessors. JS would round out the recruiting nicely though. Yowza.

As for the defense this year, my own guess at this point is that we're going to see an attacking, gambling defense this year. They'll be encouraging guys to fly around and if they get beat deep, then so be it. The coaches may go back to what RR told guys his first year here - if you make a mistake it's OK as long as you make it going all out. As the year goes along the guys will figure out what they're doing out there and start making more big plays. Some opposing QBs are going to be getting knocked on their a**es on a regular basis. I'm guessing they'll be giving up 30+ per game early in conference play and that number will go down as the year goes on.

This is just my speculation, of course, but it would be hilarious to see RR schooling CTG on defense at the end of the year. OhpleaseOhpleaseOhplease.
Gladiator Cat

Post by Gladiator Cat »

Holy cow if we got big Joe S to come home again that would just be unreal.

I'm a little skeptical that he would return, but if he did......holy smokes what a group of new hires.

I've been pretty hard on RR but the dude bucked up and has hit some major homeruns in the last few days.

I got a new found respect for RR making the hard decisions when they needed to be made and by all accounts making really nice new additions to the staff.
azpenguin

Post by azpenguin »

chiefzona wrote:Joe Joe Joe Joe Joe Joe Joe Joe! I am doing the dance! Time for the Shaman to start chanting, sage to be burning, and the drums to be beating......fire is burning.
...Bill Walton? :mrgreen:
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

SCCats wrote:Very exciting

I don't have any inside sources or inside information, but the process and the results fell like we were following the Way of the Ninja

/deep bow
The Ninja loves him some football. :)
BearDown89

Post by BearDown89 »

This is the local NBC Sports Director. Funny all the Tucson and Boise journalists are all connected now and tweeting each other's stuff.
BearDown89

Post by BearDown89 »

Magloire's tweeting a bunch and getting a lot of tweets - all of an excited and congratulatory nature.
cordera89

Post by cordera89 »

So were going to run the 4-2-5 defense then. You know the media really need to stop hyping it up like he a big deal. Sure it a good hired plus he young guys stepping in the shoes of trying to rebuild or let just say remodel our current defense. Question is going to say can he get the job done in the Pac 12 and South Division, Let alone of what accomplish at Boise State against non inferior opponent.
UofACat23

Post by UofACat23 »

cordera89 wrote:So were going to run the 4-2-5 defense then. You know the media really need to stop hyping it up like he a big deal. Sure it a good hired plus he young guys stepping in the shoes of trying to rebuild or let just say remodel our current defense. Question is going to say can he get the job done in the Pac 12 and South Division, Let alone of what accomplish at Boise State against non inferior opponent.
Yates was also co-DC at Texas A&M...
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

cordera89 wrote:So were going to run the 4-2-5 defense then. You know the media really need to stop hyping it up like he a big deal. Sure it a good hired plus he young guys stepping in the shoes of trying to rebuild or let just say remodel our current defense. Question is going to say can he get the job done in the Pac 12 and South Division, Let alone of what accomplish at Boise State against non inferior opponent.
Oh, inferior like the UA in the Fiesta Bowl last year? You need to stop moaning, cordera. Why would the national media, like SI, hype up this hire? They've got nothing banked on UA...
It’s a huge hire for the Wildcats because Yates is regarded as one of college football’s best young defensive minds and also a premier recruiter in his native Los Angeles. Behind his aggressive 4-2-5 scheme, Boise State was 12th in the FBS this past season in total defense (318.3 yards per game) and 18th in scoring defense (20.2 points per game).

The Broncos were also fifth nationally in turnovers gained (35). This past season was Yates’ second as the program’s defensive coordinator.
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
btfd16

Post by btfd16 »

so pending the DL hire, every defensive coach is under 38?? wow... and even with an Amey/Salavea hire that is still young.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

So will we have the horses to compete in this scheme or will we have to wait a year or two defensively?
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Either way I bet we are an improved defense. Just getting away from the shitty passive play calling should help. Bet we double our takeaways
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
cordera89

Post by cordera89 »

UofACat23 wrote:
Yates was also co-DC at Texas A&M...
I read the article on him being Co DC at Texas A&M, I'm not stupid when I been reading on it. Second this isn't a step up or step down for him to become Arizona DC in which it goods but the question still remain can he get the job done of remodel our current defense in which has been bad 3 of the 4 years. Since everyone is so hype about him I'm not until I see result in PAC 12 play not what he did at other school.
Sid

Post by Sid »

I still think the Ninja had a big freaking hand in all of this, death to the 3-3-5.....thank God!

Going to be a heck of a lot of fun following recruiting and watching this new staff flip some beasts in the coming weeks.

BTFD!
cordera89

Post by cordera89 »

Puerco wrote:
Oh, inferior like the UA in the Fiesta Bowl last year? You need to stop moaning, cordera. Why would the national media, like SI, hype up this hire? They've got nothing banked on UA...
It funny that you act like I didn't read up on everyone else comment and reading the up on this person who is becoming our DC. But it seem you think I'm moaning because of this hired in which I'm not. I don't like the fact that media is acting like this is hugh hired for Arizona but from what? Moving from 3-3-5 to 4-2-5 and being a good recruiter. Question is what can he do with our current defense that has bad for 3 of the 4 years. You don't see it.
It’s a huge hire for the Wildcats because Yates is regarded as one of college football’s best young defensive minds and also a premier recruiter in his native Los Angeles. Behind his aggressive 4-2-5 scheme, Boise State was 12th in the FBS this past season in total defense (318.3 yards per game) and 18th in scoring defense (20.2 points per game).

The Broncos were also fifth nationally in turnovers gained (35). This past season was Yates’ second as the program’s defensive coordinator.
cordera89

Post by cordera89 »

Sid wrote:I still think the Ninja had a big freaking hand in all of this, death to the 3-3-5.....thank God!

Going to be a heck of a lot of fun following recruiting and watching this new staff flip some beasts in the coming weeks.

BTFD!
Yea but is it really, were moving from 3-3-5 to 4-2-5 that not a big step up thou.
Scummy Dick Douglas

Post by Scummy Dick Douglas »

Sid wrote:I still think the Ninja had a big freaking hand in all of this, death to the 3-3-5.....thank God!

BTFD!
Define "beasts".
wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

Don't worry about the scheme. Each of the three new hires is about one issue - upgrading talent on the defense. All are young guys that will bust it recruiting.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

cordera89 wrote:

BTFD!
Yea but is it really, were moving from 3-3-5 to 4-2-5 that not a big step up thou.
Two completely different schemes. Vastly different
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Sorry Cordera, but this is a huge hire. If you've got some kind of substantive reason why it isn't, I'd love to hear it.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

cordera89

Post by cordera89 »

Chicat wrote:Sorry Cordera, but this is a huge hire. If you've got some kind of substantive reason why it isn't, I'd love to hear it.
I didn't say I hated the hired, I'm not convince that it not one of those huge hire. Were banking him in recruiting. It not about what reason I have. It about what can he do with our current defense. Let me say that again. What can he do with our current defense that has been bad for 3of4 years. Chi the hired is good, I'm not convince we brought him here to improve our recruiting and i like to see what he can do against PAC 12 level teams since were our conference is all about high up tempo offense rather than defense. I rather see result instead of hearing him on how good he is in recruiting. We just got to wait and see what he can really do.
azpenguin

Post by azpenguin »

CalStateTempe wrote:So will we have the horses to compete in this scheme or will we have to wait a year or two defensively?
Current and incoming talent should drop very nicely into this scheme. Up front there's Marcus Griffin, Sharif Williams, Calvin Allen, Luca Bruno, Sani Fuimaono as far as big horses go. Zellers and Banda aren't as big but they may be able to be coached into this scheme considering that they've been able to compete well. If Fotu comes back that would be big. If the staff can land Allen, you've got a solid rotation up front. Cobb and Ware may be able to play in this scheme although that remains to be seen; I don't know if RR wants to give up Cobb at fullback, especially with how many linebackers are already on the roster. Some of the linebackers may get a look at safety spots. The big question remains the cornerbacks. One of the big problems is that these guys would get smoked at the snap and end up trying to make up ground, so they're going to have to be coached not to allow receivers to get that kind of release. I know they were talking about moving Denson back to WR but I wonder if this may change with the new staff - Denson has experience and he's fast, and if he can take the coaching... I think the big key this year will be to get off the field on third downs because if they can do that it will keep them fresh, considering depth could be a bit of an issue (maybe not as much as this last year, though.) If they go to a 4-3 or a 3-4 then there may be a steeper learning curve. In the 4-2-5 they can compete more quickly but they're still going to take their lumps.
cordera89

Post by cordera89 »

ASUHATER! wrote:
cordera89 wrote:

BTFD!
335 is built to stop up tempo spread and 425 is built to stop power running offense.
cordera89

Post by cordera89 »

azpenguin wrote:
CalStateTempe wrote:So will we have the horses to compete in this scheme or will we have to wait a year or two defensively?
Current and incoming talent should drop very nicely into this scheme. Up front there's Marcus Griffin, Sharif Williams, Calvin Allen, Luca Bruno, Sani Fuimaono as far as big horses go. Zellers and Banda aren't as big but they may be able to be coached into this scheme considering that they've been able to compete well. If Fotu comes back that would be big. If the staff can land Allen, you've got a solid rotation up front. Cobb and Ware may be able to play in this scheme although that remains to be seen; I don't know if RR wants to give up Cobb at fullback, especially with how many linebackers are already on the roster. Some of the linebackers may get a look at safety spots. The big question remains the cornerbacks. One of the big problems is that these guys would get smoked at the snap and end up trying to make up ground, so they're going to have to be coached not to allow receivers to get that kind of release. I know they were talking about moving Denson back to WR but I wonder if this may change with the new staff - Denson has experience and he's fast, and if he can take the coaching... I think the big key this year will be to get off the field on third downs because if they can do that it will keep them fresh, considering depth could be a bit of an issue (maybe not as much as this last year, though.) If they go to a 4-3 or a 3-4 then there may be a steeper learning curve. In the 4-2-5 they can compete more quickly but they're still going to take their lumps.

Were just going to have to wait and see how it goes.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

cordera89 wrote:
ASUHATER! wrote:
cordera89 wrote:

BTFD!
335 is built to stop up tempo spread and 425 is built to stop power running offense.
We couldn't stop either so rejoice in the change and attempt to improve
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Chicat

Post by Chicat »

azcat49 wrote:
cordera89 wrote:
ASUHATER! wrote:
cordera89 wrote:

BTFD!
We couldn't stop either so rejoice in the change and attempt to improve
Bingo.

And rejoice in the fact that we've now got bonafide recruiters and not guys who want to ride their la-z-boy into a Green Valley retirement condo.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
ASUHATER!

Re: Welcome aboard Marcel Yates Arizona's new DC

Post by ASUHATER! »

Yeah it's exciting to actually have younger active defensive coaches that want to recruit.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
ANGCatFan

Post by ANGCatFan »

Puerco

Post by Puerco »

cordera89 wrote:
Puerco wrote:
It funny that you act like I didn't read up on everyone else comment and reading the up on this person who is becoming our DC. But it seem you think I'm moaning because of this hired in which I'm not. I don't like the fact that media is acting like this is hugh hired for Arizona but from what? Moving from 3-3-5 to 4-2-5 and being a good recruiter. Question is what can he do with our current defense that has bad for 3 of the 4 years. You don't see it.

First, learn to use the quote function, because I don't want anyone confusing your words for mine, cordera.

Second, I have no clue, and I couldn't care less, what or how much you've read about Yates. You said the media shouldn't hype the hire, and I quoted a Sports Illustrated opinion in order to show that's not just local media hyping the hire. While the local guys might have reason to hype the program, the national guys certainly don't.

And finally to what seems to be bugging you, no one has a frickin' clue what Yates can do with our defense RIGHT NOW. Indications are promising that he'll eventually be able to build one through recruiting better players. What were you hoping for? He doesn't have to do much to put a better product on the field than Casteel has since he'd been here.
Last edited by Puerco on Mon Jan 18, 2016 10:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Oh by the way, Yates will make $140k less than Casteel and I'm assuming that money will be spread around to the other assistants.

Home Run
BearDown89

Post by BearDown89 »

Puerco wrote:
cordera89 wrote:
Puerco wrote:

Fourth, we no longer have to talk about Casteel, the 3.3.5 or whether three down linemen will ever get pressure on the QB under that scheme;

Fifth, we might get an exciting little recruiting pop, a couple of flips or some guys back in the fold in the next couple of weeks before signing day; and

Sixth, we have some damn fun optimistic stuff to talk about on this board - hope sprins eternal and all that.
First, learn to use the quote function, because I don't want anyone confusing your words for mine, cordera.

Second, I have no clue, and I couldn't care less, what or how much you've read about Yates. You said the media shouldn't hype the hire, and I quoted a Sports Illustrated opinion in order to show that's not just local media hyping the hire. While the local guys might have reason to hype the program, the national guys certainly don't.

And finally to what seems to be bugging you, no one has a frickin' clue what Yates can do with our defense RIGHT NOW. Indications are promising that he'll eventually be able to build one through recruiting better players. What were you hoping for? He doesn't have to do much to put a better prospect on the field than Casteel has since he'd been here.
OSUCat

Post by OSUCat »

I don't know if RR could have hired two better guys at Arizona. I'm thrilled Arizona was able to get a real DC, instead of a re-wash or a position coach. And on top of all that Arizona was able to get a DC from a National Program and has experience as a DC in the biggest conferences (Co-dc at Texas A&M). This is a home run hire for me. It could turn out bad (like any hire) but no one is going to look back and say RR should have hired someone different.
Formerly Lynx Rufus.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Dkenner wrote: Before I reveal it, please bear mind that it’s a name I gleaned from a source who is not connected in any way with the Arizona football program. This person has been at the AFCA Convention in San Antonio, where literally thousands of coaches are gathered and you hear things.

The name the source gave me was Marcel Yates, the current defensive coordinator at Boise State. I didn’t think much of it at the time, but later in the day, when Matt Caponi left the UA program, it started to make more sense.
Good call DKenner! You scooped the pundits.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

This all sounds so exciting, really pumped to see what we can do in spring ball defensively.

Did codera become chiefzona with this hire?
HaCats

Post by HaCats »

With a 4-2-5 opposing staffs can no longer neg recruit us to high school Defensive Line prospects and say, 'why would you want to play at Arizona, they run a 3 man front and you'll get no stats and be nothing more than a space filler'.
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

CalStateTempe wrote:This all sounds so exciting, really pumped to see what we can do in spring ball defensively.

Hahahaha! It appears so! I am the new and improved Chief. I fully support these hires and look forward to Arizona football like a child who wakes up early on Christmas morning.
cordera89

Post by cordera89 »

Puerco wrote:
cordera89 wrote:
Puerco wrote:

And finally to what seems to be bugging you, no one has a frickin' clue what Yates can do with our defense RIGHT NOW. Indications are promising that he'll eventually be able to build one through recruiting better players. What were you hoping for? He doesn't have to do much to put a better prospect on the field than Casteel has since he'd been here.
I'm not confusing no one with what I have to say. You would care less ok. It not about what Yates bring to the table of improving our defense and upgrading our recruiting on defense. It about result of what can he do with our current Defense not what he did in his past teams. I could care less of what Casteel did because he didn't do damn thing with it. I told Chi this, Were banking on yates for recruiting. I read up on this guys and I know what he has accomplish as assistant coach. The point is can he put a product on the field instead of unproduct we had the last couple of year.
cordera89

Post by cordera89 »

CalStateTempe wrote:This all sounds so exciting, really pumped to see what we can do in spring ball defensively.

Trying to be funny huh. I'm not all excited over this hired.
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

Let me say that I agree with Cordera that this is not a home run hire at all. Anyone who thinks that knows nothing about football and is an absolute idiot. I agree 100% that you all need to do more research and realize this is not a home run hire.

This is a walk off grand slam winning hire. Literally checks every single box so perfectly it's nuts. Who else would be more perfect then Marcel Yates, seriously. I like him WAY better then Clancy Pendergrast or Justin Wilcox. He is cheaper then Casteel, is a great recruiter especially in LA and Texas, has great experience but is young enough to relate to today's players, does not coach 3-3-5, great story of over coming the odds, what am I missing??????

Now of course time will tell how good of a hire it is but at this point it is literally a walk off grand slam.

Maybe Johnny Optimist will be back!

Fired up

Also Cordera can you please learn how to spell, seriously it is awful
2004 First Team All American Football Poster as voted on by GOAZCATS
qwertyus

Post by qwertyus »

Is English your first language? Your posts are tough to read, for your information.

The question would always be if "insert coach" could get it done in the Pac 12. But, the bar set by Casteel is very low. And, the bar to succeed in the Pac 12 with RR's offense is also low. If he can get us to a 65th ranked defense, aka "average", we'll do very well in the conference.
Gimino

Post by Gimino »

I guess I'm just a local guy who thinks this is a home-run hire (or, perhaps I should say, home-run hires).

http://www.tucsonnewsnow.com/story/30991766/gimino-arizona-makes-home-run-hire-with-defensive-coordinator-marcel-yates