Welcome Aboard Marcel Yates Arizona's New DC

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Newportcat

Re: Welcome aboard Marcel Yates Arizona's new DC

Post by Newportcat »

I just watched Donte's video again, my lord was I pumped up

I don't think he would take a 35 year old 6'3 185 lbs former water polo player as a recruit but i would gladly play for him

Straight up savages

I just feel like our recruiting is going on defense is going to take a massive bump up
2004 First Team All American Football Poster as voted on by GOAZCATS
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

Rich Rod
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (109.52 KiB) Viewed 1734 times
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Gimino wrote:I guess I'm just a local guy who thinks this is a home-run hire (or, perhaps I should say, home-run hires).

http://www.tucsonnewsnow.com/story/30991766/gimino-arizona-makes-home-run-hire-with-defensive-coordinator-marcel-yates
Awesome
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Didn't know that about his brother. What a sad situation.

On his death: http://clkrep.lacity.org/onlinedocs/200 ... -11-14.pdf" target="_blank

Nice work coach Yates on putting your life's effort into sports.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Well, I think we can declare the press conference won. Well done RR!

Amazing that we are here when after RR almost took the SC job we were probably on the complete other end of the spectrum.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
3goggles

Post by 3goggles »

Any word on the DL coach?
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

3goggles wrote:Any word on the DL coach?
I'm guessing if it's not Joe Salavea, Yates gets to handpick his own guy.
cordera89

Re: Who will be Arizona's new DC?

Post by cordera89 »

qwertyus wrote:
cordera89 wrote:So were going to run the 4-2-5 defense then. You know the media really need to stop hyping it up like he a big deal. Sure it a good hired plus he young guys stepping in the shoes of trying to rebuild or let just say remodel our current defense. Question is going to say can he get the job done in the Pac 12 and South Division, Let alone of what accomplish at Boise State against non inferior opponent.
Is English your first language? Your posts are tough to read, for your information.

The question would always be if "insert coach" could get it done in the Pac 12. But, the bar set by Casteel is very low. And, the bar to succeed in the Pac 12 with RR's offense is also low. If he can get us to a 65th ranked defense, aka "average", we'll do very well in the conference.
Tell me this, Is that your best insult of the day is my English. Dude listen, RR gambling on this hired based off his recruiting, It isn't a huge hired it more of what Newport Cats said Walk Off grand slam Hired. Now the competition level is going to be different in what he about to face. This isn't the, MW where his defense was kicking every team ass in., This is PAC 12. He going to be tested in first game and conference play. Ok how long do you think that will take for him to get us at Average Defense. I want a competitive Defense that doesn't get their collective asses handle too on a daily basic. If he cant put a good product on the field then their going to be problem. Unless he like god good at his position because I wouldn't brag about how good of a recruiter he is until the result are in. If he know how to developed talent then that should be his first step.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

azgreg

Post by azgreg »

I guess for cordera anything less than Nick Saban for DC would be unacceptable.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

cordera89 wrote:
qwertyus wrote:
cordera89 wrote:So were going to run the 4-2-5 defense then. You know the media really need to stop hyping it up like he a big deal. Sure it a good hired plus he young guys stepping in the shoes of trying to rebuild or let just say remodel our current defense. Question is going to say can he get the job done in the Pac 12 and South Division, Let alone of what accomplish at Boise State against non inferior opponent.
Is English your first language? Your posts are tough to read, for your information.

The question would always be if "insert coach" could get it done in the Pac 12. But, the bar set by Casteel is very low. And, the bar to succeed in the Pac 12 with RR's offense is also low. If he can get us to a 65th ranked defense, aka "average", we'll do very well in the conference.
Tell me this, Is that your best insult of the day is my English. Dude listen, RR gambling on this hired based off his recruiting, It isn't a huge hired it more of what Newport Cats said Walk Off grand slam Hired. Now the competition level is going to be different in what he about to face. This isn't the, MW where his defense was kicking every team ass in., This is PAC 12. He going to be tested in first game and conference play. Ok how long do you think that will take for him to get us at Average Defense. I want a competitive Defense that doesn't get their collective asses handle too on a daily basic. If he cant put a good product on the field then their going to be problem. Unless he like god good at his position because I wouldn't brag about how good of a recruiter he is until the result are in. If he know how to developed talent then that should be his first step.
Your basically throwing a fit because they haven't already turned around our defense. To borrow a line from you, calm down. It is perfectly fine to be excited about how we've upgraded. If you're not fine with that, a college sports fan site might not be the place for you. Would you like directions to the YouTube comments section? That might be more your speed.
OSUCat

Post by OSUCat »

cordera89 wrote: Dude listen, RR gambling on this hired based off his recruiting, It isn't a huge hired it more of what Newport Cats said Walk Off grand slam Hired. Now the competition level is going to be different in what he about to face. This isn't the, MW where his defense was kicking every team ass in.
How is hiring an existing successful DC more of a gamble than hiring a DC that has been fired (wilcox) or going after a position coach? Also, who the heck do you think Arizona could bring in as DC? Arizona wasn't going to get the DC from Michigan State or something.

I'm just going to remind you that Yates was Co-DC at Texas A&M in the SEC. Yes, Yates didn't call plays but he was heavily involved in the defense. So it isn't like Yates is just some MW hack.

Lastly, even if the defense is lacking next year doesn't mean that the hire was a bust.
Formerly Lynx Rufus.
SoutherAZ

Post by SoutherAZ »

Looks like RichRod has made all the right moves since his interview with South Carolina. Letting the old staff go and adding some much younger, up and coming coaches with stronger recruiting ties (or should I say desire to recruit) might have saved the day. Nice to see Gimino call Yates a home-run hire. Something had to be done and I for one am feeling a little better about the future. Regardless of the scheme, we needed to improve recruiting and this should help.

Welcome Coach Yates and Coach Williams.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

This is a big boy hire.

The type that real football schools make; poach the guy with proven success at a smaller D-1 program and let him do his thing in a power 5 conference.

Certainly not on the same level, but Urban Meyer from Utah to Florida back in the day comes to mind as an example.

Great great hire.

Cordera clearly doesn't understand sarcasm given Newport's post. Maybe he's Shelton from BBT?
azpenguin

Re: Welcome Aboard Marcel Yates Arizona's New DC

Post by azpenguin »

As I said before, I can understand why RR stuck with Casteel as long as he did. But he made the right move at the right time. I'm pretty geeked to see what we get on defense this year. Get some ballhawks in the secondary and that's trouble for the Pac-12.
TheGreatCatsby

Post by TheGreatCatsby »

I too am totally onboard with this total refresh of the staff. Our defensive recruiting had gotten VERY stale, and this is huge injection of fresh young guys full of piss and vinegar to prove themselves. With Rich's son committing to the program, and these new young coaches it has overall created an air of stability for the recruits to see that the entire program is now stable with everybody on board for the long-term.

Rich has had a very good offseason, and it's nice he even got his flirting with other programs out of the way. Allowed him to see a lateral transfer to another power-5 conference really does nothing for him and his family and is really no upgrade to what he has here. Now he sees a path to just digging in and truly building something better here by bringing in the young, fresh, and aggressive coaches and recruiters.
btfd16

Post by btfd16 »

I saw someone point it out earlier and agree completely. All Yates need to do is assemble a top 50-60 D, instead of constantly sitting around the 100's, and the offense will take care of itself. If he can do that, plus recruit, it's a home run.
azpenguin

Post by azpenguin »

Arizona gave up over 35 points a game last year. #60 was a bit over 27 points. You get in that range and Solomon puts up video game numbers.
catinfl

Post by catinfl »

One of the biggest problems with last year is we just weren't getting any turnovers. Well Yates did really well in that aspect at Boise and if he can keep it up extra possessions for the offense will help immensely and getting turnovers is a huge reason why we had a 10-2 season in 2014
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

azpenguin wrote:Arizona gave up over 35 points a game last year. #60 was a bit over 27 points. You get in that range and Solomon puts up video game numbers.
I'm looking forward to getting our offense a few short fields a game.
azpenguin

Post by azpenguin »

catinfl wrote:One of the biggest problems with last year is we just weren't getting any turnovers. Well Yates did really well in that aspect at Boise and if he can keep it up extra possessions for the offense will help immensely and getting turnovers is a huge reason why we had a 10-2 season in 2014
That and not being able to get off the field on third down.
uacat540

Post by uacat540 »

Cordera, what kind of crack do you smoke? You want a new coach to come in and improve a shit defense on the first year? A majority of the issue from this years defense was due to playing guys that have no business starting in a D1 program. Not even Demi God Saban/Myles jack could coach that kind of talent to anything other than maybe a 99th ranked side of the ball. You know how Sean Miller wins as much as he does? He starts with talented guys and goes from there. Arizona football was trying to start with FCS players and get them to play up to a FBS level. Thats a huge hill and it seems like RR finally saw that you couldnt just have a number of coaches not recruiting and expect to get better. A lot of last years success was due to guys like Bondo et all who started with a decent amount of FBS talent and needed to just work a bit harded to get to that level.

Next year will be another stepping stone year, this is something that pays off in years 2-3, not year 0.
cordera89

Post by cordera89 »

Chicat wrote:
cordera89 wrote:
qwertyus wrote:

Your basically throwing a fit because they haven't already turned around our defense. To borrow a line from you, calm down. It is perfectly fine to be excited about how we've upgraded. If you're not fine with that, a college sports fan site might not be the place for you. Would you like directions to the YouTube comments section? That might be more your speed.
Chi I'm not throwing a fit. I said I fine with the hire just not excited like the rest are. I already said my peace and that should be nothing else to say.
cordera89

Post by cordera89 »

CalStateTempe wrote:This is a big boy hire.

The type that real football schools make; poach the guy with proven success at a smaller D-1 program and let him do his thing in a power 5 conference.

Certainly not on the same level, but Urban Meyer from Utah to Florida back in the day comes to mind as an example.

Great great hire.

Cordera clearly doesn't understand sarcasm given Newport's post. Maybe he's Shelton from BBT?
Keep on making silly joke because I'm not laughing at it.
UAdevil

Post by UAdevil »

cordera89 wrote:
CalStateTempe wrote:This is a big boy hire.

Great great hire.

Keep on making silly joke because I'm not laughing at it.
Well I am. :lol:
Love the 've! Stop with the: Would of - Could of - Should of - Must of - Might of
cordera89

Post by cordera89 »

uacat540 wrote:Cordera, what kind of crack do you smoke? You want a new coach to come in and improve a shit defense on the first year? A majority of the issue from this years defense was due to playing guys that have no business starting in a D1 program. Not even Demi God Saban/Myles jack could coach that kind of talent to anything other than maybe a 99th ranked side of the ball. You know how Sean Miller wins as much as he does? He starts with talented guys and goes from there. Arizona football was trying to start with FCS players and get them to play up to a FBS level. Thats a huge hill and it seems like RR finally saw that you couldnt just have a number of coaches not recruiting and expect to get better. A lot of last years success was due to guys like Bondo et all who started with a decent amount of FBS talent and needed to just work a bit harded to get to that level.

Next year will be another stepping stone year, this is something that pays off in years 2-3, not year 0.
As I said plenty of time I'm fine with this hire just not excited and what part don't you get. I don't have a problem with this hired. The problem is going to come within few year if he can get in done on both coaching, development and recruiting in which many praising this coach on and on. I result not what he accomplish.
whatisee

Post by whatisee »

cordera89 wrote:
uacat540 wrote:The problem is going to come within few year if he can get in done on both coaching, development and recruiting in which many praising this coach on and on. I result not what he accomplish.
that hurts my brain
uacat540

Post by uacat540 »

Cordera, who would you rather have then? Give us a specific name.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

uacat540 wrote:Cordera, who would you rather have then? Give us a specific name.
That is my next question too?

Who would you have preferred RR hire, to better address the "many years down the road" concerns you have?
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

CalStateTempe wrote:
uacat540 wrote:Cordera, who would you rather have then? Give us a specific name.
That is my next question too?

Who would you have preferred RR hire, to better address the "many years down the road" concerns you have?
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Son of a Bum!
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
3goggles

Post by 3goggles »

I want joe!!!!!!!!!!
BearDown89

Post by BearDown89 »

This is what I've been saying...
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Attack, attack. I want relentless, aggressive play. Like Bruschi said, they were mad at everybody, every single play
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
OSUCat

Post by OSUCat »

I can see why Yates is seen as a good recruiter. Sounds like a straight forward, stand up guy.

Yates will really bring that Hard Edge to Arizona.
Formerly Lynx Rufus.
BearDown89

Post by BearDown89 »

Listen to our new DC, Marcel Yates, here. This is Idaho Sports Talk, the leading local Boise sports talk show. All BSU all the time.

http://www.ktik.com/wp-content/uploads/ ... es-web.mp3" target="_blank
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

Cordera bitched and moaned that we were not going to get rid of Casteel (most of us did, actually) - but he was alone in his perspective that we should not. How many times did he post or imply "No good/ attractive DC is going to come here, anyway"? That's been proven wrong, with a friggin' exclamation point!

Boise State is a legit program... if they were in a power conference, we never would have gotten him. This is a very good opportunity for him, and it was a TERRIFIC hire for us. Look at the profile of other programs that have stolen coordinators from BSU over the last several years, and tell me again this was not a big-time grab.

He has some experience as a coordinator at 2 solid programs (he was 'co' at A&M)... There is no way he takes this job if it is to be RR's puppet. That was my biggest fear (yes I whined about it), I was DEAD wrong, and I am thrilled that I was.

Both these hires were great... I cannot wait to see who takes over the DL role. There is no way to guarantee that any hire will turn out the way you hope (short of Nick Saban, Urban Meyer, Jim Harbaugh, or Sean Miller).... but IMO this one will not be second guessed.

No one is going to accuse me of being all sun shine and lollipops when it comes to the FB program. I've criticized when I thought it was warranted, and I'll praise when I think it is deserved.

Praise is deserved.
Last edited by Harvey Specter on Mon Jan 18, 2016 6:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

Donte's grinding.

I'm liking these hires more and more.
Sid

Post by Sid »

wyo-cat wrote:Donte's grinding.

I'm liking these hires more and more.
Hell yes! Having watched that new promo piece with Donte has me MF'ing inspired........

Play like savages, it's on like Kong!

BTFD
Sage&Silver

Post by Sage&Silver »

So word on here a few days ago was we can't afford Joe Salave'a, but now that RR is saving $200k/yr on his DC, is that a real possibility? And did Dante Williams' stint at SJSU overlap with Joe's?
cordera89

Post by cordera89 »

It not about who I rather have, it about who going to get the job done. In other thread I have stated some name that were Former DC and those names weren't probably going to get pick by RR if he ever contacted them and most like everyone else they had their own names of who they thought was going to be DC. Like I said plenty of times I got no problem with this hired, I'm just not excited like everyone is because I rather wait and see what he can do with our current defense.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

cordera89 wrote:
It not about who I rather have, it about who going to get the job done.

Like who?
cordera89

Post by cordera89 »

Harvey Specter wrote:
Cordera bitched and moaned that we were not going to get rid of Casteel (most of us did, actually) - but he was alone in his perspective that we should not. How many times did he post or imply "No good/ attractive DC is going to come here, anyway"? That's been proven wrong, with a friggin' exclamation point!
Harvey It not about me that bitch and moan about this, we all bitch and moan that their was impossible chance that RR wasn't going to fired Casteel. Until that faithful day RR blindsided everyone that a lot of us didn't think was possible He fired Casteel. Yes I did say That not one DC wasn't going to come to Arizona giving RR past of hiring a DC whether or not he going to let them have full control. I don't have problem with RR hiring him as our DC, I'm just not going to say that this was a huge hired for us. It more of a step up. It wasn't about if that theory was proven. If this is RR choice, then I'm going to accept his choice that is it. He better deliver once the season start.
Boise State is a legit program... if they were in a power conference, we never would have gotten him. This is a very good opportunity for him, and it was a TERRIFIC hire for us. Look at the profile of other programs that have stolen coordinators from BSU over the last several years, and tell me again this was not a big-time grab.

He has some experience as a coordinator at 2 solid programs (he was 'co' at A&M)... There is no way he takes this job if it is to be RR's puppet. That was my biggest fear (yes I whined about it), I was DEAD wrong, and I am thrilled that I was.

Both these hires were great... I cannot wait to see who takes over the DL role. There is no way to guarantee that any hire will turn out the way you hope (short of Nick Saban, Urban Meyer, Jim Harbaugh, or Sean Miller).... but IMO this one will not be second guessed.

No one is going to accuse me of being all sun shine and lollipops when it comes to the FB program. I've criticized when I thought it was warranted, and I'll praise when I think it is deserved.

Praise is deserved.
uacat540

Post by uacat540 »

cordera89 wrote:
It not about who I rather have, it about who going to get the job done. In other thread I have stated some name that were Former DC and those names weren't probably going to get pick by RR if he ever contacted them and most like everyone else they had their own names of who they thought was going to be DC. Like I said plenty of times I got no problem with this hired, I'm just not excited like everyone is because I rather wait and see what he can do with our current defense.
This isn't about the current defense. Thats completely wrong way to look at it, next year was a rebuilding year anyways. I don't understand why you are so worried about 2016 versus the future. Arizona is void of talent in just about every spot, what Yates, Addae, and williams does on the field this year is no where nearly as important as what they do over the next 12 months on the recruiting trail.

I would still like to know who you really truly wanted as an Arizona DC. I would imagine that it would be guys who wouldn't touch arizona nor have the potential to open up the california doors like Yates and Williams.
cordera89

Post by cordera89 »

CalStateTempe wrote:
cordera89 wrote:

Like who?
Like who indeed. My choice were Ron English, Randy Shannon, Greg Mattison, Brady Hoke, Gene Chizik, Will Muschamp and some that media name on several article before he was ever mention. I wanted someone that can put a good product on the field. These guys were problably weren't going to get pick or mention.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

cordera89 wrote:
CalStateTempe wrote:
cordera89 wrote:

Like who?
Like who indeed. My choice were Ron English, Randy Shannon, Greg Mattison, Brady Hoke, Gene Chizik, Will Muschamp and some that media name on several article before he was ever mention. I wanted someone that can put a good product on the field. These guys were problably weren't going to get pick or mention.
Several had jobs before we even let our DC go.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

And its not like those guys could move the recruiting needle
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
tgrumpy2

Post by tgrumpy2 »

Does anyone have any thoughts about who the new DL coach will be. I know a lot of people and me included would love to see Big Joe but I think that's a real long shot. I think my next choices would be the guy from San Diego State and then Ricky Hunley. Yes I know Hunley was a linebacker but he's been coaching defensive lines now for a few years.

P.S. Please quit pissing off cordero. He's hard enough to understand anyway. When he gets upset his English worsens exponentially.
uacat540

Post by uacat540 »

All those names have no west coast ties. That list cordea has would have ended in casteel 2.0.

Brady Hoke...that would have be a disaster. A man who hasn't been on the west coast in 5 years and hasn't coached a defense since the early 2000's. Thats just awesome?