2016 Recruit/Commitment Thread

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

catinfl

Re: 2016 Recruit/Commitment Thread

Post by catinfl »

Irish27 wrote:
Going to be a national recruit kid is a monster.
catinfl

Post by catinfl »

The way I see it is that we were hoping for Countess or Hegarty and we struck out with both and picked up this kid who has some potential. Didn't really get a fair shot at Iowa and now he gets too practice for a year at LB and try to make some noise for two years. Worst case scenario we got a special teams player. Here is our LB situation

SR: ?
JR: Scooby, Ippo, Matthews,
SO: Kenny (sitting out for transfer) and DeAndre Miller
FR: Cobb and Ware

Scooby will be gone after this year. We got some talented kids here why not take a shot at a kid they liked out of HS. It also makes sense because we didn't take a LB in the 2015 Class.
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

catinfl wrote:The way I see it is that we were hoping for Countess or Hegarty and we struck out with both and picked up this kid who has some potential. Didn't really get a fair shot at Iowa and now he gets too practice for a year at LB and try to make some noise for two years. Worst case scenario we got a special teams player. Here is our LB situation

Scooby will be gone after this year. We got some talented kids here why not take a shot at a kid they liked out of HS. It also makes sense because we didn't take a LB in the 2015 Class.
Why do you say he didn't really get a fair shot at Iowa?
catinfl

Post by catinfl »

Harvey Specter wrote:
catinfl wrote:The way I see it is that we were hoping for Countess or Hegarty and we struck out with both and picked up this kid who has some potential. Didn't really get a fair shot at Iowa and now he gets too practice for a year at LB and try to make some noise for two years. Worst case scenario we got a special teams player. Here is our LB situation

Why do you say he didn't really get a fair shot at Iowa?
They moved him to FB and didn't move him back to LB until mid-Spring and he was behind the others obviously.
RazorsEdgeAZ

Post by RazorsEdgeAZ »

Hopefully Kenny can make a solid contribution for AZ. Feel better that Casteel wanted to offer him out of HS (think he visited campus during HS recruiting). Even if Kenny can "just" make a solid special teams player.

He hasn't made an in-game tackle in 3 years and counting. So sitting out a year will only improve his chances (scheme, conditioning). He also early enrolled at Iowa so he had a head start over some others. He was the only Iowa 2013 recruit to early enroll. He got beat out at LB by a 2 star and a 3 star in his recruiting class that didn't early enroll and also a walk-on. The 3 star that was the starter (from his recruiting class) was suspended and ultimately transferred before Kenny decided to transfer.

I feel Kenny had fair shot at LB at Iowa, he just got beat out. But Casteel see's something in him. We'll see.
ramcat

Post by ramcat »

Smothers and Tuturi are still viable lb's last I saw?!
azpenguin

Post by azpenguin »

I tend to agree that Scooby may be gone after this year but the only thing that gives me pause on that is that we've seen some damn good players not get a chance in the NFL. It's really damn hard to break into the league and even harder to stay there. I just hope he's got good advice going forward.

Also, I do trust Casteel's talent evaluation. He may see Kenny fitting in really well in the 3-3-5.
catinfl

Post by catinfl »

ramcat wrote:

Knew I'd forget a few. Turituri is gonna be a player. I don't think smothers will see the field much other than Special Teams.
RazorsEdgeAZ

Post by RazorsEdgeAZ »

I'm big Fan of Scooby's. Love his story. I actually hope he has another solid to great season, projects as a 1st or 2nd round NFL draft pick and heads to NFL after this season. Not stay another year.

Get paid. Monetize his efforts, dedication and discipline. If he projects there and the money there, take it (only if he wants to).

Having stated that, I'm looking to see how AZ can convert Scooby's national exposure and success into LB recruiting. Maximize it towards "LB university" reputation. You think it would create some traction in that direction. At least I do.

AZ has already offered more LB's this current class than last class. Most are highly ranked LBs. I hope the scheme doesn't play a huge factor in not realizing LB recruiting gains post Scooby. At least for me, I would expect to be able to land a high-profile LB in this class if it were to happen.

Also interested to see if staff will indeed adjust their commitment philosophy this year. By the end of June last year, AZ had already roughly half their 2015 class filled. 7 commitments in June alone. RR said there would be more brakes this year, more open towards signing day. Maybe it will
TuiTouchdown

Post by TuiTouchdown »

Loving this Tweet from Tate:
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

catinfl wrote:
ramcat wrote:

Knew I'd forget a few. Turituri is gonna be a player. I don't think smothers will see the field much other than Special Teams.
Yeah I don't remember Smothers being viable in any shape or form last year. Always a chance he could greatly improve for his last year, but I'm not counting on him beating out any of the main guys from last year. Turituri seems due for a big year. Ditto with Deandre Miller if healthy.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Tate will only be 17 when he is a freshman at the UofA. Talk about upside
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
ramcat

Post by ramcat »

ChooChooCat wrote:
catinfl wrote:
ramcat wrote:

Yeah I don't remember Smothers being viable in any shape or form last year. Always a chance he could greatly improve for his last year, but I'm not counting on him beating out any of the main guys from last year. Turituri seems due for a big year. Ditto with Deandre Miller if healthy.
\

The fact that he saw action in 9 games, even if most if not all on special teams tells me that he was certainly viable. There is definitely an adjustment from JC to Div. 1, and the guy was a Stud at SCC and in high school, so I have a bit more hope for this guy to possibly step forward. Great size for the position, and had a knack for sacks and tackles for loss at SCC. Obviously the competition will be fierce with Cobb and Ware now in the system for a year now, not to mention Miller etc... Patrick Glover couldn't come in and make a mark his first year from JC, so think that supports the adjustment to Div. 1 and new scheme. Will be interesting to see how the LB's sort out!
Daniel Berk has him on the depth chart out of spring as second string, with note about pass rush skills.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Somebody just committed according to Dudek.

Anyone know who?
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Puerco

Post by Puerco »

3* is a BIG committment?
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
threenumberones

Post by threenumberones »

Puerco wrote:3* is a BIG committment?
Offers from Oklahoma and Wiscy, and his recruitment is on an upswing.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

He's a bad mutha shut yo mouth.

Yea I know Isaiah <> Isaac but first thing that came to mind.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

threenumberones wrote:
Puerco wrote:3* is a BIG committment?
Offers from Oklahoma and Wiscy, and his recruitment is on an upswing.
I think I read his dad played in the NFL and his brother plays for Oregon St. Good bloodlines.
-JB
CatsbyAZ

Post by CatsbyAZ »

Merkin wrote:
Great Get!

P5 offers from - Indiana, Oklahoma, Pittsburgh, Utah, and Wisconsin.
“The force behind the movement of time is a mourning that will not be comforted.” author Marilynne Robinson
TuiTouchdown

Post by TuiTouchdown »

Looks like he absolutely blankets the WRs in coverage: http://www.hudl.com/athlete/2157127/hig ... 7497388/v2

Someone with more football knowledge care to get into any of the nuances of his tape?
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Rated as the 25th best corner in his class.thst makes him a great get for sure
HaCats

Post by HaCats »

Come on azcat49, a kid can only be a great pickup if he's a consensus 4* or 5* on each service site.
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

I dont think 49 was being sarcastic
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

He is a very high 3 and is ranked at his position. I woukd take a whole class like that.

I do believe in the star rankings more then I don't and it appears last years success has given us an uptick in potential talent.
ANGCatFan

Post by ANGCatFan »

GoAZCats with a free video interview with Khalil Tate and his 100% commitment to the Wildcats.

catinfl

Post by catinfl »

Hayes is a good pickup. His recent offers shows he can play.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

ANGCatFan wrote: GoAZCats with a free video interview
Who? ;)
-JB
azpenguin

Post by azpenguin »

A couple of days ago Scheer retweeted something about a big surprise commitment about to go down. Haven't heard anything since. Any idea what that was about?
azthrillhouse

Post by azthrillhouse »

azpenguin wrote:A couple of days ago Scheer retweeted something about a big surprise commitment about to go down. Haven't heard anything since. Any idea what that was about?
was a Jason Jewell tweet about some Chaparral TE committing to UC Davis, I shit you not. I wasted 30 minutes being distracted by that tweet.
ANGCatFan

Post by ANGCatFan »

GoAZCats interviews Wildcat target RB JJ Taylor. He'll visit Arizona in July and doesn't expect to commit until mid-season
Folesfor10K

Post by Folesfor10K »

This is huge. I'm sure it's still a long shot but didn't even think our coaches had a chance of drinking any nyquil. Love to see that and hope Dudek drinks a lot more before signing day :!:
Why is fast food healthy? Why do skinny people have SLOW metabolisms? Check out my nutrition blog for a fresh, new perspective on nutrition.

My two favorite teams:
1. U of A
2. Whoever plays ASU this week
HaCats

Post by HaCats »

Didn't we have 7 or 8 commitments last June? Was thinking this would be a more active month. But might be nice to have more flexibility closer to signing date I suppose too.
azthrillhouse

Post by azthrillhouse »

HaCats wrote:Didn't we have 7 or 8 commitments last June? Was thinking this would be a more active month. But might be nice to have more flexibility closer to signing date I suppose too.
We're definitely taking a more relaxed pace this year compared to the last couple. Probably a good thing as it means we're able to be more selective and wait on higher-tier kids, but it does make for a boring summer.
ANGCatFan

Post by ANGCatFan »

I went back and actually looked it up at the beginning of the month. We had 10 commitments last June. We entered the month with 5 and finished with 15. We are certainly on a slower pace.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

ANGCatFan wrote:I went back and actually looked it up at the beginning of the month. We had 10 commitments last June. We entered the month with 5 and finished with 15. We are certainly on a slower pace.

The guys this year are much higher quality, at least by the services. Several of the guys are high 3 stars and are ranked at their positions
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

Ten recruits AZ has a chance of landing:

http://www.azdesertswarm.com/recruiting ... est-chance
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

Weird statement on the kid being 6-6 and 250 and having the size weäve been dreaming of for the defensive line... :confused:
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Puerco wrote:Weird statement on the kid being 6-6 and 250 and having the size weäve been dreaming of for the defensive line... :confused:
Good size for a HS junior.
-JB
UALoco

Post by UALoco »

UAEebs86 wrote:
Puerco wrote:Weird statement on the kid being 6-6 and 250 and having the size weäve been dreaming of for the defensive line... :confused:
We only have one other player that is 6-6, Calvin Allen and he is listed at 266 pounds. We have been dreaming of a bigger D-line so we are not pushed around by the more physical teams.
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

Puerco

Post by Puerco »

UAEebs86 wrote:
Well damn, I thought it said he was a juco. But it doesn't. Reading comprehension for the win!
ANGCatFan

Post by ANGCatFan »

From the espn blog covering teams in need of recruiting momentum:
Pac-12: Arizona

Commits: 6

ESPN 300 commits: 1

Overview: Though Arizona doesn’t have the worst class in the Pac-12 right now, they are certainly off to a slow start considering they finished with a 10-2 regular-season record. They have not quite been able to take advantage of last year's success, which is surprising considering it happened with a freshman quarterback. Despite the slow start, Arizona has more than enough time to finish strong. There are four ESPN 300 prospects in-state and other top targets including ESPN 300 running back Damian Alloway and former Arizona running back commit Trevor Speights, who is still considering the Wildcats. Arizona is also targeting Southern California prospects Jacob Colacion and J.J. Taylor. Another year like last season and there’s little doubt that Arizona will be able to make up significant ground before signing day.
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

KillerKlown

Post by KillerKlown »

dmjcat wrote:LB waiting on offer from the UA

http://www.azdesertswarm.com/recruiting ... ting-on-an
I hope they offer. This guy has that special look to him. The "all business" look.
Mike Luke's burner account.
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

OT Bryson Cain, should be committing to Arizona soon
3goggles

Post by 3goggles »

KillerKlown wrote:
dmjcat wrote:LB waiting on offer from the UA

http://www.azdesertswarm.com/recruiting ... ting-on-an
I hope they offer. This guy has that special look to him. The "all business" look.
This kid is an OKG and wants to be here. I love his love for Arizona!
ANGCatFan

Post by ANGCatFan »

Another player in the search for a center.
Chase Hanlon at Hudl.
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »