General Malaise and Complaining about the Football Program

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

dc4azcats

Re: Fire RR

Post by dc4azcats »

ASUHATER! wrote:
dc4azcats wrote:
ASUHATER! wrote:So because there's hard questions to answer your solution is to say "sigh.. fuck it, let's give up and keep the same coach since it's too hard to find a new one". That's loser talk. Get outta here with that garbage. You're embarrassing yourself. F- minus post.. just God awful. Take a couple days off and reevaluate your life. Bleh that garbage of a shit post is making me sick.
Thanks for proving my point. You know nothing about football. All you want to do is continue to bitch about something you know nothing about.
I don't think you know what you're saying. If you supposedly "know about football" :lol: you would have a vastly different opinion if you've watched the last 6 seasons. Just stop now. It's getting sad seeing you defend a losing coach and a losing program that is lost and going in the wrong direction. Learn about football, go back and rewatch the last 6 seasons and come back mmmkay?
What do you want to bet that RR is our coach next season?
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

dc4azcats wrote:
MrBug708 wrote:
dc4azcats wrote:
It's hard for YOU to understand because you know nothing about football. Arizona has 61 true frosh and or red shirt frosh. Add another 20 sophs and you have 81 guys that were recruited to what RR wants to do on both sides of the ball.
You can only have 85 kids on scholarship and you are saying you only have 4 kids that are 4th or 5th year players? Or are you including walkons in that number?!?
Those numbers were given during the game last night by Yogi Roth. Even if it includes walkons the numbers are still relevant. We've signed 77 players the last 3 seasons (29, 19 and 29).
We're the upperclassmen recruited to not do what he wants?

I just checked ucla's roster and we have 79 players that are freshmen, RS FR, or RS SO. I'm assuming that was a talking point given to roth from the Arizona SID to push Arizona is a young team? I'd imagine you would have similar numbers for most programs if you start including walkons
dc4azcats

Post by dc4azcats »

MrBug708 wrote:
dc4azcats wrote:
MrBug708 wrote:
dc4azcats wrote:
It's hard for YOU to understand because you know nothing about football. Arizona has 61 true frosh and or red shirt frosh. Add another 20 sophs and you have 81 guys that were recruited to what RR wants to do on both sides of the ball.
You can only have 85 kids on scholarship and you are saying you only have 4 kids that are 4th or 5th year players? Or are you including walkons in that number?!?
Those numbers were given during the game last night by Yogi Roth. Even if it includes walkons the numbers are still relevant. We've signed 77 players the last 3 seasons (29, 19 and 29).
We're the upperclassmen recruited to not do what he wants?

I just checked ucla's roster and we have 79 players that are freshmen, RS FR, or RS SO. I'm assuming that was a talking point given to roth from the Arizona SID to push Arizona is a young team? I'd imagine you would have similar numbers for most programs if you start including walkons
Arizona played 7 or 8 true frosh, RS frosh and sophs last night on D alone. Ucla?
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

I feel like you are drifting further from your point but it's about the same for ucla. I know we have 5 on the defensive line alone
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

MrBug708 wrote:I feel like you are drifting further from your point but it's about the same for ucla. I know we have 5 on the defensive line alone
His point is that the game last night proves that his sycophantic adoration of RR since the day he arrived is warranted. And that Arizona is such a shitty program, we could not get anyone better. And part of this issue is that we cannot afford to buy him out.

Not sure how to boatload of cash that RR will fall into (via retention bonus) gets removed from the equation, because if he is employed as of Feb 1 those $$ are no longer the University's; they are his.

Last night was a good win. Calling it program changing? That's a stretch... but then again so is beefing up the number of underclass in the program with a shit ton of walkon's is too. But it supports his agenda... Yogi Roth speaking on UA football is apparently the equivalent of the pope speaking ex-cathedra. Give me a fucking break.

If last night was the beginning of something new, that is awesome and RR will be retained. It is one fucking game, with a great individual performance against a shitty team (although winning on the road is good).

If Heeke made the final call last night on RR, then he is a fucking moron.

My agenda? RR has the worst conference record outside of Mackovic in our program's history. Spare me the 'he has had bad luck boohoo bullshit... every coach has bad shit happen - and much of his has been his own doing.

The bloom is off the rose... and tha casual fan is disinterested - despite all the minutiae the die hard a cling to. Go 7-5 or better, and come on back. Have the 5th losing conference record in his six seasons here, and don't let the door his you in the ass on your way out, Rich.

The jury is still out... and the jury is the paying fan.
MrMeow

Post by MrMeow »

dc4azcats wrote:
ASUHATER! wrote:So because there's hard questions to answer your solution is to say "sigh.. fuck it, let's give up and keep the same coach since it's too hard to find a new one". That's loser talk. Get outta here with that garbage. You're embarrassing yourself. F- minus post.. just God awful. Take a couple days off and reevaluate your life. Bleh that garbage of a shit post is making me sick.
Thanks for proving my point. You know nothing about football. All you want to do is continue to bitch about something you know nothing about.
dc, you would do well to remember George Bernard Shaw, "I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it." - George Bernard Shaw

Hater, "oink, oink"

dc, also I agree with your RichRod analysis. Whether or not I (we) like it, barring some disaster RichRod will be retained. Your reasoning is well thought out, and good.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

There is no doubt from anyone that things have not gone as well as we all should expect at this point in the RR era but the team is a few plays from 5-0 so we have to consider that.

I said all along 7-5 RR should stay. Next two games are huge for RR to get to that point.

Now with what DC is saying should and will are two different things. We will see how things play out but it is not where it should be but it isnt as bad as some turds make it out to be either.
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Doesn't UA carry around 103-105 on their roster with the 85 scholies and the rest walk ons? 61 underclassmen is no big deal with transfers and injury retirements to upperclassmen.

Harvey Specter wrote: Last night was a good win.
Being that any win is a "good" win, and every loss is a "bad" loss, barring a perfect superhuman game from K Tate, that should have gone down as a bad loss.

UA could not stop Lindsay, giving up 281 yards. The CU receivers were constantly behind the UA DBs, and if Montez could have hit one of the 4 long balls he missed, game over. UA could not get their running game going, outside of Tate.

That late hit on Dawkins putting him out of the game was the biggest CU mistake of the whole game.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

dc4azcats wrote:
ASUHATER! wrote:
dc4azcats wrote:
I don't think you know what you're saying. If you supposedly "know about football" :lol: you would have a vastly different opinion if you've watched the last 6 seasons. Just stop now. It's getting sad seeing you defend a losing coach and a losing program that is lost and going in the wrong direction. Learn about football, go back and rewatch the last 6 seasons and come back mmmkay?
If he finishes the way it's gone so far, I wouldn't freak out. The team is creating positive momentum and the only losses have been close. This is, so far, much better than last year with a very young team.

You can look at the year this far and see things going in the right direction. Yeah, maybe not as fast as you want, but you have to weigh the likelihood of hitting better with the next hire if you fire RR.
UALoco

Post by UALoco »

Can we end this thread if we beat UCLA? ;)
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

Mediocrity reigns. :lol:
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

dc4azcats wrote:
ASUHATER! wrote:
dc4azcats wrote:
The attendance of this UCLA game will be ridiculously important for RR's chances to even be considered to be our coach next season regardless if he somehow gets this team to a bowl game. If fans don't show up after Tate's performance last Saturday plus the fact it's family night against the team with the possible #1 pick then that says it all.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

ChooChooCat wrote: The attendance of this UCLA game will be ridiculously important for RR's chances to even be considered to be our coach next season regardless if he somehow gets this team to a bowl game. If fans don't show up after Tate's performance last Saturday plus the fact it's family night against the team with the possible #1 pick then that says it all.
Fans don't even know if Tate is starting, officially anyway.

I don't know the business, but I would have announced Tate as starter no later than last Sunday. Stoke the fire while the coals are still hot.
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

Merkin wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote: The attendance of this UCLA game will be ridiculously important for RR's chances to even be considered to be our coach next season regardless if he somehow gets this team to a bowl game. If fans don't show up after Tate's performance last Saturday plus the fact it's family night against the team with the possible #1 pick then that says it all.
Fans don't even know if Tate is starting, officially anyway.

I don't know the business, but I would have announced Tate as starter no later than last Sunday. Stoke the fire while the coals are still hot.
You're an ardent business man, my friend.
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

dc4azcats wrote:
ASUHATER! wrote:
dc4azcats wrote:

And this is a good thing?
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

chiefzona wrote:
dc4azcats wrote:
ASUHATER! wrote:
dc4azcats wrote:

If UA goes at least 7-5 this year yes.

UCLA-Winnable (favored)
Cal-Winnable
WSU-Not likely a win but we have seen homecoming magic and RR magic many times
USC-Not likely
Oregon State-Winnable (will be favored)
Oregon-Winnable
asu-Winnable (will be a coin flip in Vegas)
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

PHXCATS wrote:
chiefzona wrote:
dc4azcats wrote:
ASUHATER! wrote:

If UA goes at least 7-5 this year yes.

UCLA-Winnable (favored)
Cal-Winnable
WSU-Not likely a win but we have seen homecoming magic and RR magic many times
USC-Not likely
Oregon State-Winnable (will be favored)
Oregon-Winnable
asu-Winnable (will be a coin flip in Vegas)[/quote]

No one knows what Heeke's parameters are but I'm guessing that attendance has something to do with it.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

chiefzona wrote:
No one knows what Heeke's parameters are but I'm guessing that attendance has something to do with it.
It has to. If fans don't give a shit then there's no reason to continue this charade. Football needs to at least pay for football, if it can't even do that you have to fix it. Fan apathy is hard to overcome. You have to give the fans a reason to care, show up, and spend money.

The attendance for both the UCLA and Wazzu games will be very telling for RR's future here more so than the record IMO.
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

Merkin wrote:Doesn't UA carry around 103-105 on their roster with the 85 scholies and the rest walk ons? 61 underclassmen is no big deal with transfers and injury retirements to upperclassmen.

Harvey Specter wrote: Last night was a good win.
Being that any win is a "good" win, and every loss is a "bad" loss, barring a perfect superhuman game from K Tate, that should have gone down as a bad loss.

UA could not stop Lindsay, giving up 281 yards. The CU receivers were constantly behind the UA DBs, and if Montez could have hit one of the 4 long balls he missed, game over. UA could not get their running game going, outside of Tate.

That late hit on Dawkins putting him out of the game was the biggest CU mistake of the whole game.

That kind of stuff can be done in reverse. Barring a super human game from Montez and Lindsay, that could have been the biggest blowout in UA history.

There seems to be this idea that everything we get is lucky and once in a lifetime and undeserved and what everyone else gets is automatic, consistent, and if we hadn't gotten lucky, they totally would have done the same and their stars are consistent while ours aren't.

You can always flop it. The scoreboard ends up being the main factor (not the only one. These trolls who claim the final score is all that matters in a program are the ones that never would have let 1993 happen or 1998 happen. Sometimes, you roll out a bunch of kids and the game comes to them with experience, often playing before they are ready, playing inconsistent. Like 1992 to 1993. We are fortunate to have so many underclassmen right now...if they show success and are largely returning, regressions rarely happen in college football without roster change.

I don't think you can honestly say "yeah...we won, but if we hadn't gotten such a great game by XXX X we were going to be blown out". We did get that game. And their team had a couple who led them that, if you remove, would have allowed us to blow them out. The only real criticism here for those who are dying for a reason to criticize a road win over a decent team...well, there is almost no negative to winning in conference on the road. That is a +2 in the famous Lute +/- system. But If you are just dying to have something to be mad about from the win, it is that Dawkins started. Even that, I get for a head coach...you have this upperclassman QB who has been inconsistent, at times really bad, but you think his style is perfect for this Colorado defense. We really don't know if his game would have been spectacular. But he was hurt early and Tate came in. We know Tate has been pretty dinged. They have been really protective and even with Dawkins hurt, there was some concern as to whether Tate would come in and play well. He hadn't torn it up late in his last appearance

We wanted to see KT unleashed. I, honestly, believe some mistake Khalil with the other, Baseball Boy Tate, and see a piece on that unusual story of baseball Tate and want to see HIM play. But whatever...a Tate is in...

When we last saw Khalil Tate, he threw an INT vs Houston that cost us the game. Down near the red zone, he looked right (pretty much right at me in the NEZ), pumped once because he was too small to throw over the offensive likeman, then finished his scramble, stared at us some more, then threw the ball. One of the worst throws I have ever seen, to be honest, no hyperbole. Was just awful...Houston game, toward NEZ, throwing right....it opened right in front of my NEZ seat and I said to my wife "he may never play again after a throw like that." But he did, then he got injured. He also had some amazing runs, trucked a guy, etc. But I just saw another RB playing QB. Then he was injured at it was all over for the Tate experiment.

So if the people who will hate RR no matter what he or the team does want to be mad at one thing that is at least reasonable, it is why didn't Tate start over Dawkins in this game. I would say that 99% of coaches would have made the same call, though...Tate has been hurt, Dawkins has been playing and having some successes but is struggling, Tate's last play vs UH was really, really bad and probably looked worse on coaches tape, like someone who had never played the game, but they knew he had an amazing talent running the ball. They go with Dawkins with a short leash...if Dawkins starts fkn up, I will pull him attitude...and RR has shown the willingness to do it. So now Tate is healthy and likely to play.

Then Dawkins gets removed from the game by a cheap shot that the same player pulled later in the game with Tate. So in comes Tate, and we see, vs a porous but D1 defense, the greatest performance of all time in that manner...QB running.

QB position set. We don't know what Tate looked like in practice. OR if he looked healthy. Or if the plan all along was to put him in the game at some point anyway.

But things worked out right and we got Tate and the win, Tate is healthy, and we would likely be 5-0 , or 4-1 at the least, if Tate had stayed healthy. Teams will be gunning to take Tate out. Looks like early Arizona favorite got bet out, but the line is settling around UCLA -1. Vegas is pretty good at this stuff. This should be a very competitive game as long as Tate is able to run early. He has enough arm to win this game if he establishes the run, too.

What excites me, and was the whole point of my optimism before the year (OK...my "optimism" was we wouldn't be as bad as the darkest souls on this board thought, and we'd be a 5-7, 6-6 team), was we were going to have running backs by committee that are very, very good. Having Nick and JJ as change ups, and Shun Brown on fly sweeps, and Poindexter is becoming one of my favorite players, period...he catches, and he blocks. And the offensive line is good. All of that together had me excited, mostly for our running backs...

..and let me be clear...I don't want Tate trying to duplicate his last game. I want him to depend on those good backs. I want to see Tate run/keep 12-15 times, throw the ball 15 to 20 times, I want some two back sets with Wilson and JJ and misdirection out of the Triple Spread option. Mostly, I just want the win, for Tucson to wake up and go "maybe this team is going to scrape into a bowl.
Last edited by EVCat on Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:08 am, edited 3 times in total.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

ChooChooCat wrote:
chiefzona wrote:
It has to. If fans don't give a shit then there's no reason to continue this charade. Football needs to at least pay for football, if it can't even do that you have to fix it. Fan apathy is hard to overcome. You have to give the fans a reason to care, show up, and spend money.

The attendance for both the UCLA and Wazzu games will be very telling for RR's future here more so than the record IMO.
I'm looser on this. The big driver for fans will always be winning. It doesn't matter who our coach is, when you're not a winner, you won't draw a lot of fans.

We need to have the coach who gives the program the best chance at creating that winner. That's it for me. RR dug a hole these last two years of decline on a number of fronts. The process of digging out is getting back tp winning and thinking you can compete for the division regularly.
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

When you sleep on recruiting, you're stealing money from the school and that in my book is a thief. You aren't paid to be stupid. He should've already been fired. This sets a dangerous precedent for the next coach.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Man I love to read EV'S thoughts on things. I agree on everything you said. Maybe Tate can become Dax Lite or Cam light and we get on a roll like 92 and surprise. Except this surprise is we outscore people.

I like your question about Tate pressing to have another monster game as opposed to using his weapons. This is actually a game I am anxious to see. Haven't had that feeling in two years.
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

chiefzona wrote:When you sleep on recruiting, you're stealing money from the school and that in my book is a thief. You aren't paid to be stupid. He should've already been fired. This sets a dangerous precedent for the next coach.
Not getting the players you want and sleeping on recruiting are two separate things
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

chiefzona wrote:When you sleep on recruiting, you're stealing money from the school and that in my book is a thief. You aren't paid to be stupid. He should've already been fired. This sets a dangerous precedent for the next coach.
So you basically want him retroactively fired. I think that sets a worse precedent, that we let him continue into this year with no intention of keeping him.

The deciding factor is about how we finish and if he shows he can build a winning program. That fell off hard, but you don't go from the outhouse to the penthouse overnight. That's reality, regardless of who the coach is.
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
chiefzona wrote:

I'm looser on this. The big driver for fans will always be winning. It doesn't matter who our coach is, when you're not a winner, you won't draw a lot of fans.

We need to have the coach who gives the program the best chance at creating that winner. That's it for me. RR dug a hole these last two years of decline on a number of fronts. The process of digging out is getting back tp winning and thinking you can compete for the division regularly.

I think casuals want a reason to believe. They don't even need 10-2 if they have something exciting in Tucson. Desert Swarm had people filling a stadium to see defense played at a level maybe one or two programs ever have. I loved it...I love defense. But it isn't exciting on its own. But the fans were turning out in 1992, then blew up in 1993. And we had huge crowds in 1994 even though we were disappointing based up on preseason expectations (8-4 after SI said we were #1).

The Tucson crowd wants something exciting and/or winning. Clearly, winning solves a lot. But there were times we had boring Tomey teams flirting with the Rose Bowl mid season (1990...I remember making the sign based off the Nike Commercials "Do You Know, Do You Know Do You Know D-LEW? Musgrave (or whomever) will" or "Welcome to Mr. Darryl Lewis' Neighborhood...Can You Say ROSE BOWL?"

Anyway, with something to back, they will show up. With UCLA and parents weekend, we will put over 50,000 in the stands, at least for kickoff. Some will leave early even if it is 97-96 with the 7 greatest performances in NCAA history...it's parent's weekend and reservations for dinner at 9 are more important. But it will be packed. If we win, we are going to get good crowds. If Tate carries the offense, with a really good line and solid backs and WRs and a yoooooung D to a bowl game, RR will be back, and the marketing will be "The Flash" or whatever Tate gets called as he runs for 1,200 and throws for 1,500. All eyes will be on him, and if the team had a decent year in 2017, they will be there in 2018, mostly. We have Parents Weekend and Homecoming left to carry some 50K+ games.

The game that determines this season as a success will be the Oregon State game. If we are coming into it 5-4 with bowl eligibility on the line, and a win over UCLA, WSU, or USC (required to get there), the Oregon State game, a likely win, which draws this market, needs to be 48,000 or higher to feel good about where this is headed.

I know it won't be a problem Saturday...Hotels are packed, and the seats are scarce...tried to get some friends who decided they wanted to go somewhere near us...there were only 5 seats available in the saecion and no where close.
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

as for the other stuff, the discussion with the Zona chef or whatever...it is pointless. He wants RR fired if we go 10-2. I see him through your quote.
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

EVCat wrote:as for the other stuff, the discussion with the Zona chef or whatever...it is pointless. He wants RR fired if we go 10-2. I see him through your quote.

Straw man argument. We all know he isn't going 10-2. It's more about attendance than record IMO. Say RR finishes 6-6 with a drop in attendance. Do we all really think he vastly improves from that if he stayed to coach the 2018 season? With the football program in the state it's in and Heeke's main job is revenue....these things are coming to a head this offseason.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Overall RR has to create hype for next year. As EVCat pointed out the attendance should be there for UCLA for numerous matters with Tate's performance being the ultimate catalyst for that, but we need people to show up for Wazzu and the Beavs game along with show enough of a life against Cal, Oregon, USC, and especially ASU. Better hope Tate stays healthy for one and for two perform at an exciting level for the remainder of the season.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

ChooChooCat wrote:Overall RR has to create hype for next year. As EVCat pointed out the attendance should be there for UCLA for numerous matters with Tate's performance being the ultimate catalyst for that, but we need people to show up for Wazzu and the Beavs game along with show enough of a life against Cal, Oregon, USC, and especially ASU. Better hope Tate stays healthy for one and for two perform at an exciting level for the remainder of the season.
I can get on board with this. What is dragging attendance this year is that fans walked in expecting that we'd have to overachieve to get to .500. If we do enough the rest of the year that coming into next year fans think we could contend for the South if things go right, we'll be fine attendance wise. If it backslides to the same set of expectations as this year, then there's a problem.

It's basically the same standard, that RR has to demonstrate that the program is moving in the right direction. As long as that is happening, attendance should track. I just don't think we were ever going to generate a ton of hype this year coming off the disaster of last year.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

chiefzona wrote:
EVCat wrote:as for the other stuff, the discussion with the Zona chef or whatever...it is pointless. He wants RR fired if we go 10-2. I see him through your quote.

Straw man argument. We all know he isn't going 10-2. It's more about attendance than record IMO. Say RR finishes 6-6 with a drop in attendance. Do we all really think he vastly improves from that if he stayed to coach the 2018 season? With the football program in the state it's in and Heeke's main job is revenue....these things are coming to a head this offseason.
Switching his argument as to why fire RR. Must be concerned he will win enough this year. Such a giant TURD. Go Cats, win win win. If that means RR stays and gets an extension, oh well. Just want to win win win. Actually excited for this Saturday to tune in and see if it was a fluke or if Tate is the real deal.
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

azcat49 wrote:
chiefzona wrote:

Switching his argument as to why fire RR. Must be concerned he will win enough this year. Such a giant TURD. Go Cats, win win win. If that means RR stays and gets an extension, oh well. Just want to win win win. Actually excited for this Saturday to tune in and see if it was a fluke or if Tate is the real deal.
I always enjoy the name calling. :lol: It's funny. That to me just means....yeah...I got nothing. Let me throw some bombs on the way out. :!:
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

PHXCATS wrote:
Not getting the players you want and sleeping on recruiting are two separate things

You left out all of those poor player evals. Garbage recruiting equals garbage.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

chiefzona wrote:
azcat49 wrote:
chiefzona wrote:

I always enjoy the name calling. :lol: It's funny. That to me just means....yeah...I got nothing. Let me throw some bombs on the way out. :!:
Your are such a cancer. You think you know more then guys who have been to the promised land. Such an Uncle Rico. You deserve everything you get. You will one day be right, maybe even this year and you will beat your chest and say you were right but in reality you are just nothing but bad for our program and kids.

Revel in good things that happen to our kids and program such as a road win and Tate doing unbelievable things. Find joy even when it does not fit your agenda, which is anti RR. You will be a much happier person and may actually have and gain some respect
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

azcat49 wrote:
chiefzona wrote:
azcat49 wrote:
chiefzona wrote:

Your are such a cancer. You think you know more then guys who have been to the promised land. Such an Uncle Rico. You deserve everything you get. You will one day be right, maybe even this year and you will beat your chest and say you were right but in reality you are just nothing but bad for our program and kids.

Revel in good things that happen to our kids and program such as a road win and Tate doing unbelievable things. Find joy even when it does not fit your agenda, which is anti RR. You will be a much happier person and may actually have and gain some respect
I honestly don't understand you calling me a cancer. I have zero to do with Arizona football. ZERO. What guys have been to the promised land, exactly? Where and what is the promised land? What do I get? I already have been right, multiple times. That's on RR for helping me prove my points. Again, how am I bad for the kids and the program? I have ZERO influence on their play.

I'm just a poster. I can care less about any respect other than what I have gained. Once RR is gone, so am I. I am a happy person. You wouldn't know as you've never met me. Seems like you like to make broad generalizations which is a shame because you come off like a smart guy.
Sid

Post by Sid »

chiefzona wrote:
PHXCATS wrote:

You left out all of those poor player evals. Garbage recruiting equals garbage.
Good point regarding player evals and recruiting. Save the (KTate) should've been the starter crap since no one on here really knows the extent of his recent shoulder injury and let's go back in time to his recruitment instead.

Who gave KTate the chance to play quarterback at Arizona when no one else would? I hope to God it wasn't a fluke, but Rich Rod could come out of this golden if we're all witnessing the next Cam Newton.

Let's just try and be happy this week as Saturday night could be the continuation of something truly amazing!

BTFD!
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

azcat49 wrote:
Like I said...I only see his quotes through other peoples.
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

Sid wrote:
Good point regarding player evals and recruiting. Save the (KTate) should've been the starter crap since no one on here really knows the extent of his recent shoulder injury and let's go back in time to his recruitment instead.

Who gave KTate the chance to play quarterback at Arizona when no one else would? I hope to God it wasn't a fluke, but Rich Rod could come out of this golden if we're all witnessing the next Cam Newton.

Let's just try and be happy this week as Saturday night could be the continuation of something truly amazing!

BTFD!
No kidding! If Tate tears people up consistently, this awful talent evaluator somehow became the one to let this kid play QB.

It makes the argument harder to make. Certainly there were issues, and it cost us a couple of classes. Heck...Braxton Burmeister would be here battling Tate if the world hadn't fallen apart with our carpetbagger recruiting coordinator.

But we have what we have...a quick run to 10 wins and a Fiesta bowl with a freshman QB and RB and sophomore do-everything national award candidate LB, lost all of them for stretches, and ultimately, two of them forever (Scooby really never came back, Anu's head shot vs Utah in the 2 OT winner was the end of his ability to play this game, and especially this offense), a drop off due to lost stars and poor judgment openly flirting with other jobs, and worst of all, allowing Casteel to coast. Our head coach sees the damage, moves immediately to fire his friend/DC one year after a 10 win season and Fiesta Bowl appearance (can't say he didn't react quickly), and the damage of the losses, the lack of recruiting (most notably on the D), the flirting with other jobs, and the 2017 class torn to shreds by all of this along with the carpetbagger Williams leaving for Nebraska, and you have the bottom of the pit last year.

So a 3 year ascent to a 10 game winner/major bowl, then a 2 year collapse. What the coach is made of is on display this year. We are 3-2, 2 close losses (both would have been wins with even competent QB play, which could have come from Tate if he was healthy...or fkln Burmeister if he wasn't such a tool and had just let us know early he wasn't coming), and the race is on to save his job. Earlier this year, after the Dawkins meltdown vs Utah and the Houston craziness, I was ready to say "he isn't going to make it...maybe we move now?" But he has shown some life. And for the first time in a while, UA fan is thinking about the idea of winning a big game.

The resume doesn't suggest RR should be fired without a collapse this year. I think a lot of us expected this team would fall apart. Instead, they seem to be a pretty resilient bunch. They play clean. They do their job (the WR blocking has been very impressive). Is Tate really as good as he looked Saturday?

We are about to find out. No one who can claim even a slight allegiance to this program is hoping for anything other than a win.

UCLA at home, @ Cal, Oregon State at home, maybe Oregon, but in Eugene, ASU, does not matter where...those are the winnable games this year. Win 3 of the 5, and we can call this season a success. More than that would be a gift.
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

I think Evcat is onto something. I forgot about the ignore facet. Good idea. I'll be putting a few of you on ignore, so if I don't respond, there's a reason. Adios mis amigos.
Irish27

Post by Irish27 »

Maybe we can close this thread now.
2019 & 2021 Basketball RAP Winner/2022 Football RAP Winner
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

I think RR needs to send flowers to the guy from Colorado that put the late hit on Dawkins. He saved RR's job.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
Main Event

Post by Main Event »

Tate is about to get this guy an extension
prh

Post by prh »

UAEebs86 wrote:I think RR needs to send flowers to the guy from Colorado that put the late hit on Dawkins. He saved RR's job.
I kinda feel the other way, RR's thinking that guy is making him keep working for his money
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

prh wrote:
UAEebs86 wrote:I think RR needs to send flowers to the guy from Colorado that put the late hit on Dawkins. He saved RR's job.
I kinda feel the other way, RR's thinking that guy is making him keep working for his money
:)
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

prh wrote:
Ding ding ding
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Reprieve from the hangman
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

What ever. Stadium attendance on tv was still dismal.

Glad cats are winning despite RR.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

CalStateTempe wrote:What ever. Stadium attendance on tv was still dismal.

Glad cats are winning despite RR.
It wasn't that bad. It looked like about 45k being there
CatsbyAZ

Post by CatsbyAZ »

MrBug708 wrote:I feel like you are drifting further from your point but it's about the same for ucla. I know we have 5 on the defensive line alone
Why is it some teams are perpetually "young?"

For Arizona it's just a lack of effort on the defensive side of the ball particularly on the front 7, pretty much since Brooks Reed and Ricky Elmore graduated. Which I've been screaming about going on 8 years now, but that's another discussion.

But what's UCLA's sad excuse? UCLA recruits more evenly across the roster, currently has 34 scout.com-rated 4 star players on the roster, and is giving up 523 yds/game this season?
“The force behind the movement of time is a mourning that will not be comforted.” author Marilynne Robinson
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

A culture of mediocrity and indifference
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

Winning despite RR

Losing because of RR.

Message board psychology is so bizarre. The need to be right trumps the best for the team. Losing and firing a coach is never superior to winning, going to a bowl in a year people picked you last, and shocking the conference. Unless you took a hard line against the coach or support some absolutely anti-vaxxer/9/11 truther level batshit crazy conspiracy that a coach who has built himself up through the game for 30+ years wants to lose to be fired...basically, you dug in after a bad season and proclaimed your "truths" about the coach, and...

...you'd rather your own team fail so you can be right than to succeed and be reminded of your mistaken position.

That's some fucked up brain chemistry and firing there...all that is good is lucky, all that is bad is RichRod. RichRod was not the architect of a popular offense, did not win 10 games just a vouple years ago, was not the one to recruit Tate to play QB. No...only the bad decisions are his. The good things are luck, or Chuck Cecil.

We are looking at a 7 to 8 win season with close losses early while still shuffling QB for health and performance off a 3-9 campaign...and prople really hope he fails before he makes 8 wins into 10 again because we can go get....?

The program can't take another lost class or 2. Out choices are full meltdown that results in a new coach with another 2 lost classes to decommits and to late recruiting starts and transfers, and who will not right the ship soon if ever...but will win the anti RR people the argument...or, we could have some success this year, retain consistency in retaining RR, and be looked at as a 9 -10 win potential team with a superstar QB and two classes that rise up with him having played a ton as underclassmen.

Gosh...i can't pick. And sure, you could fantasize about firing RR, keeping everyone, getting this awesome coach (everyone has their own guy) who hires Chiefzona as permanent O and D coordinator and recruiting coordinator/asst head coach caller of the plays and bypass the Rose Bowl to beat Brady and the Pats in the first NCAA/NFL Super bowl.