Re: Game #10 @ USC Trojans Discussion Thread

Post by catinfl »

chiefzona wrote:
catinfl wrote:
chiefzona wrote:
eoe wrote:
Salty wrote:
Quit trying to stir the pot.

RR ain't getting fired. If he leaves, this program will deal with it.

But as for now, trying add drama to the situation helps nobody and is a testament to your lack of character.
Yep, just a prick getting his shots in at the expense of the football program. No need to air laundry

A prick? No. I'm just being informative.
Being informative by bashing the program every chance you get?
@Chiefzona1472
So no Casteel has been fired announcement? Bye Rich and thanks for the Rod.
‏@Chiefzona1472 Nov 2
Steve Chief Burt Retweeted Zack Rosenblatt
Kill the Zone Read Option and go pro style. That'll solve it. Throw in a couple of bootlegs and play actions.
Chiefzona1472 Nov 1
Arizona needs a coach who taps into SoCal, runs zero gimmicks, loves defense, and recruits QBs who can lead receivers and hit them in stride
@Chiefzona1472 Nov 1
Steve Chief Burt Retweeted Bruce Feldman
Va Tech for RR. Best part for him is that the Alumnus and boosters can stick with mediocrity for a spell.
I've helped the program with way more than I hurt it. You do know that I am a part of the Letterwinners club and friends with many ex Cats football players. I do not like the 3-3-5 nor the Zone Read Option and I have never hid that fact as you know CFL. I will always speak my mind about that. You know this as you have been on the boards that I have as well as followed me on Twitter. I am well connected in SoCal HS football and I have spoken highly of Arizona until recently. I am very angry about the fact that RR refuses to budge on Casteel and some of the positional coaches. Until he does, I have very little that's nice to say. I'm connected with the program and I hear the buzz and right now it's unfavorable to say the least. Keep up the good work CFL.
Look I get that, but what help does bashing the program do for you personally? All I get from your twitter is you want to push your own agenda. RR has won 150 football games for a reason. The dude knows what he is doing and will continue to coach as long as he wants here barring some really bad seasons or him bolting. Casteel has coached a lot of good defenses too. We all know the 3-3-5 can be frustrating, but tell me what defense can recover from losing your 3 best LB's one of which is an All American and won the defensive player of the year award. Pointing the blame at the Zone read also isn't much of a solution. Wanna know why it's been picked up by so many HS and College coaches around the country? Because it works.. I don't really know who you think we can get, but coaches aren't knocking down doors to coach at Arizona. I think some positional coaches may be let go, but Casteel ain't leaving and the sooner you accept the better.
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

chiefzona wrote:FWIW....I just talked an Arizona player out of transferring. I believe he'll start next season. His parents are irate and frustrated and needed my counsel. He is going to stay and I think he'll be a good one. See, I'm not too bad of a guy. :D

Serious question... Given your views on the offensive and defensive schemes, and certain members of the staff- why would you do that?
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

Harvey Specter wrote:
chiefzona wrote:FWIW....I just talked an Arizona player out of transferring. I believe he'll start next season. His parents are irate and frustrated and needed my counsel. He is going to stay and I think he'll be a good one. See, I'm not too bad of a guy. :D

Serious question... Given your views on the offensive and defensive schemes, and certain members of the staff- why would you do that?

That might be the best question that I've ever been asked. You sir are on point. The answer is.....he doesn't play on the offense or on defense.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

chiefzona wrote:
Harvey Specter wrote:

That might be the best question that I've ever been asked. You sir are on point. The answer is.....he doesn't play on the offense or on defense.

Congrats on talking Wilbur into staying.
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

catinfl wrote:
chiefzona wrote:
catinfl wrote:
I've helped the program with way more than I hurt it. You do know that I am a part of the Letterwinners club and friends with many ex Cats football players. I do not like the 3-3-5 nor the Zone Read Option and I have never hid that fact as you know CFL. I will always speak my mind about that. You know this as you have been on the boards that I have as well as followed me on Twitter. I am well connected in SoCal HS football and I have spoken highly of Arizona until recently. I am very angry about the fact that RR refuses to budge on Casteel and some of the positional coaches. Until he does, I have very little that's nice to say. I'm connected with the program and I hear the buzz and right now it's unfavorable to say the least. Keep up the good work CFL.
Look I get that, but what help does bashing the program do for you personally? All I get from your twitter is you want to push your own agenda. RR has won 150 football games for a reason. The dude knows what he is doing and will continue to coach as long as he wants here barring some really bad seasons or him bolting. Casteel has coached a lot of good defenses too. We all know the 3-3-5 can be frustrating, but tell me what defense can recover from losing your 3 best LB's one of which is an All American and won the defensive player of the year award. Pointing the blame at the Zone read also isn't much of a solution. Wanna know why it's been picked up by so many HS and College coaches around the country? Because it works.. I don't really know who you think we can get, but coaches aren't knocking down doors to coach at Arizona. I think some positional coaches may be let go, but Casteel ain't leaving and the sooner you accept the better.
[/quote][/quote]

Good question. Me bashing the program has actually hurt me a bit but that's a risk I have taken. I've pissed off some big fish. I'm good with though as I refuse to play along if I don't like something. RR is an offensive genius but that's where it ends IMO. You can recover with recruiting better and evaluating talent better. HS and colleges do not run RR's style completely. There are a lot of variances. RR is VERY stubborn. It's been his death and his life. The same goes for me. I do think that Arizona can get a better coach as a recruiter and one who will bring in a better staff. As far as a better in game coach....that's tough. For the record, I would like RR to stay if he ditched the 3-3-5 and vanilla'd the offense a bit. Changes to the staff, etc. But, I believe that RR is one shrewd dude and will seize his opportunity to spread his wings and fly back towards his nest where he is comfortable best.
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

Alieberman wrote:
chiefzona wrote:
Harvey Specter wrote:

Congrats on talking Wilbur into staying.
Wilbur is a solid commit.
Gladiator Cat

Post by Gladiator Cat »

Chief, you're being very cryptic again. But I do understand that you can't just start naming names when it comes to the players. That would be unfair to them and put everyone in a no win situation.

Having said that, if what you said is true about talking a kid in his RS year out of transferring that is very troubling to me. The kid is in his RS year and something has frustrated or angered him so much that before he even plays a down he wants to leave.

Its too bad most here want to kill the messenger. There are some seriously insecure and inflexible fans around here.

Its one thing to be frustrated with losing, but there is something that just doesn't feel quite right about the internals at the moment. if we have such a family atmosphere and family sticks together, why all of flux and BS that appears to be happening.

I think its a bunch of things including RR coming to grips with some changes that must take place.

But more importantly, the recruiting and internal parameters that the staff is using has kind of hit a ceiling. I think the smallish OKG's type athlete has hit a serious speed bump and the nature of these types of smaller fragile type players may not be working out to the staffs desires as we look out over the long haul in the PAC12.

If there are indeed internal squabbles and in-fighting with in the locker room and kids wanting to transfer before ever seeing the field then winning will change some of that but not all of it.

Rich Rod may be seeing up close for the first time why its so hard to make things work at a school like Arizona and reach the next level even when a great AD is involved.

Frustration and pressure are building no doubt and its palpable in my view.
Last edited by Gladiator Cat on Tue Nov 03, 2015 5:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Cool story bro
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

I'm fine with Chief's postings. I don't want to be part of a board where posters don't criticize when criticism is called for. No participation trophy's for me thanks.
Gladiator Cat

Post by Gladiator Cat »

azgreg wrote:I'm fine with Chief's postings. I don't want to be part of a board where posters don't criticize when criticism is called for. No participation trophy's for me thanks.
Agree completely Greg!
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

Gladiator Cat wrote:
Chief, you're being very cryptic again. But I do understand that you can't just start naming names when it comes to the players. That would be unfair to them and put everyone in a no win situation.

Having said that, if what you said is true about talking a kid in his RS year out of transferring that is very troubling to me. The kid is in his RS year and something has frustrated or angered him so much that before he even plays a down he wants to leave.

Its too bad most here want to kill the messenger. There are some seriously insecure and inflexible fans around here.

Its one thing to be frustrated with losing, but there is something that just doesn't feel quite right about the internals at the moment. if we have such a family atmosphere and family sticks together, why all of flux and BS that appears to be happening.

I think its a bunch of things including RR coming to grips with some changes that must take place.

But more importantly, the recruiting and internal parameters that the staff is using has kind of hit a ceiling. I think the smallish OKG's type athlete has hit a serious speed bump and the nature of these types of smaller fragile type players may not be working out to the staffs desires as we look out over the long haul in the PAC12.

If there are indeed internal squabbles and in-fighting with in the locker room and kids wanting to transfer before ever seeing the field then winning will change some of that but not all of it.

Rich Rod may be seeing up close for the first time why its so hard to make things work at a school like Arizona and reach the next level even when a great AD is involved.

Frustration and pressure are building no doubt and its palpable in my view.
Cryptic? No, he's on Special Teams. Good post GC. RR is in dangerous waters right now and there are very important decisions to be made moving forward for him. He is losing the players so to speak and that old feeling of hard edge and team spirit is starting to lose its luster. The S&C program and trainers are in serious question right now with both the players and the parents. There is a level of uneasiness and unrest but RR is inundated with game plans, no bye and injuries...so much so that it's hard for him to be that real coach who cares and sits down in his office with you for at least 5 min. RR is a good guy but he is totally out of his element right now. Dire times ahead my friend.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

chiefzona wrote:
Harvey Specter wrote:

Yay he talked Josh Pollack into staying.
Last edited by ChooChooCat on Tue Nov 03, 2015 5:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

ChooChooCat wrote:
chiefzona wrote:
Harvey Specter wrote:

Yay he talked a kicker/punter into staying.

Skowron and Riggleman are both Seniors....pretty important.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

chiefzona wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
chiefzona wrote:
Harvey Specter wrote:

Yay he talked a kicker/punter into staying.

Skowron and Riggleman are both Seniors....pretty important.
I will say if he can't win either of those jobs with both of those guys gone then he was never worth promising a scholarship to.
Gladiator Cat

Post by Gladiator Cat »

Chief,

I think the dire may be a bit over zealous for the situation.

But I do think that a few more decommit's of some of our better defensive players could be very concerning to say the least. It's not like we are recruiting a bunch of world beaters as it is. Most all of our guys are firm RS candidates and need development. A few more Smothers, Cobb's and Wares who were brought in and were being counted on to some degree as immediate contributors but can't get on the field could be devastating to an already floundering defensive unit.

So any drop off's, defects or unsound evaluations in that department will bring the word "Dire" fully into the equation.

Big decisions lay dead ahead and some of those may not be made at all. We shall see.
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

ChooChooCat wrote:
chiefzona wrote:[quote="ChooChooCat"FWIW....I just talked an Arizona player out of transferring. I believe he'll start next season. His parents are irate and frustrated and needed my counsel. He is going to stay and I think he'll be a good one. See, I'm not too bad of a guy. :D

That might be the best question that I've ever been asked. You sir are on point. The answer is.....he doesn't play on the offense or on defense.[/quote]

Yay he talked a kicker/punter into staying.[/quote]

Skowron and Riggleman are both Seniors....pretty important.[/quote]

I will say if he can't win either of those jobs with both of those guys gone then he was never worth promising a scholarship to.[/quote]

He is being coached by an outsourced kicking and punting coach who is not on the staff because Ragle is useless and knows nothing about kicking or punting. So, he isn't getting the best training nor treatment. ST isn't too important with RR unfortunately. He does both K and P so I think he might have a pretty good shot at one of them despite the circumstances.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Gladiator Cat wrote:
azgreg wrote:I'm fine with Chief's postings. I don't want to be part of a board where posters don't criticize when criticism is called for. No participation trophy's for me thanks.
Agree completely Greg!
The delivery bothers me much more than thr content
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

Gladiator Cat wrote:Chief,

I think the dire may be a bit over zealous for the situation.

But I do think that a few more decommit's of some of our better defensive players could be very concerning to say the least. It's not like we are recruiting a bunch of world beaters as it is. Most all of our guys are firm RS candidates and need development. A few more Smothers, Cobb's and Wares who were brought in and were being counted on to some degree as immediate contributors but can't get on the field could be devastating to an already floundering defensive unit.

So any drop off's, defects or unsound evaluations in that department will bring the word "Dire" fully into the equation.

Big decisions lay dead ahead and some of those may not be made at all. We shall see.
I always look way down range. I told people on the Scout Premium board last year that there is a dark cloud hovering over RR and Arizona and that it would present itself this year. Player development as well as recruiting has left much desired. There are many factors involved and RR can ill afford to lose out on any recruits right now. See, the window is slowly being cinced and the long cold winter is upon us. Dire is a good word and if RR is jumping the fence, he cares not of the simple overlooks and problems. That would all be left to the next coach up.
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

PHXCATS wrote:
Gladiator Cat wrote:
Agree completely Greg!
The delivery bothers me much more than thr content

You might be onto something there PC. You aren't the only one who has said that. Many have. It's part of the reason that I was kicked off Scout Premium. I've always said my posting wasn't the greatest and I lack a filter plus multiple concussions while playing football plus being a combat vet has probably not helped. :lol:
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

chiefzona wrote:FWIW....I just talked an Arizona player out of transferring.
Sure you did.

No, really. I believe you...
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

Chicat wrote:
chiefzona wrote:FWIW....I just talked an Arizona player out of transferring.
Sure you did.

No, really. I believe you...

Oh Chi....I know you're another one who doesn't like me though I've read your last posts lately and you are starting to sound like me. I swear on my life I talked an Arizona player out of transferring. Ye of little faith.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Haha, I will never sound like you. Mostly because when I talk about Arizona Football there is no ego involved. I just want to see us win. It's not about me being right.

Nice try though.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

Chicat wrote:Haha, I will never sound like you. Mostly because when I talk about Arizona Football there is no ego involved. I just want to see us win. It's not about me being right.

Nice try though.

Oh, every guy has an ego. From Jason Scheer to Kevin Woodman. Rich Rod to Jeff Casteel. There is a difference of ego and saying what you feel or even telling the truth. I don't get paid for my thoughts, sayings or deeds. The four that I mentioned do and they get paid for your participation as well. We can all sit around and sing great songs but the people in the football world who rock the boat and stop being homers and having opinions are the ones who do good.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Trust me Chief, no one gives a shit about your shit stirring. At best, you provide a very minor distraction. At best...
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

Chicat wrote:Trust me Chief, no one gives a shit about your shit stirring. At best, you provide a very minor distraction. At best...

You'd be surprised. You really would. If no one gave a shit there would be no phone calls, messages, Tweets, replies, DMs or PMs. You fail psychologically. When no one no longer cares, the replies are void. I get messaged by all the big players including guys who get paid big money yet figure out their lives and paychecks become easier when I am silenced and speaking what the average fan wants to hear. See, opinions are just opinions until they affect someone's lifestyle and peace.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Cool story bro.
AZarchery

Post by AZarchery »

I would be surprised. Normally people who have an impact on something don't spend their time posting on a free message board to a bunch of people who have no impact. But I guess that's just your ego?
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

AZarchery wrote:I would be surprised. Normally people who have an impact on something don't spend their time posting on a free message board to a bunch of people who have no impact. But I guess that's just your ego?

I don't spend much time on here. I do like the interaction and football talk or I wouldn't be on here. If one is worried about my character more than what I am actually saying, that person is actually afraid of what I am saying and why I am saying it. It doesn't coincide with their thinking therefore in this day and age as we all see the media and people who push an agenda.....character assassinate and silence instead of just being cool with it and having a good old fashioned conversation over it. Kids have been so accustomed to only getting what they want that it translates to only hearing what they want to hear.
AZarchery

Post by AZarchery »

I'm not worried one bit about what you say because like I said previously it has no impact lol. You're right though, you don't spend much time here...except when the team is doing bad.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

AZarchery wrote:I'm not worried one bit about what you say because like I said previously it has no impact lol. You're right though, you don't spend much time here...except when the team is doing bad.
You noticed that, huh?

:lol:
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

AZarchery wrote:I'm not worried one bit about what you say because like I said previously it has no impact lol. You're right though, you don't spend much time here...except when the team is doing bad.

That's great. Then why do you reply if you aren't worried or what I say has no impact? I don't reply to anyone who I believe is illegitimate or nonsensical. You spend an awful lot of time replying to someone like me who has no impact. Interesting. I think if what I say has no impact then why are so many up in arms about me posting when the team is doing bad? Seems like you aren't being too truthful.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Thank you for your combat service Chief!
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

Merkin wrote:Thank you for your combat service Chief!

Thanks Merkin, I appreciate it.
AZarchery

Post by AZarchery »

chiefzona wrote:

That's great. Then why do you reply if you aren't worried or what I say has no impact? I don't reply to anyone who I believe is illegitimate or nonsensical. You spend an awful lot of time replying to someone like me who has no impact. Interesting. I think if what I say has no impact then why are so many up in arms about me posting when the team is doing bad? Seems like you aren't being too truthful.
I come here to read news, updates, and opinions on ua football. I normally don't post things because who cares what I have to say? For the last 3 days though you have been talking in "facts" and absolutes, yet (as far as I know and you can prove me wrong) you don't work for the school in any manner, nor do you coach college football. So I can't help but say something when you just keep posting and keep posting in absolutes about something that you have no hand in.
AZarchery

Post by AZarchery »

Seriously though thanks for your service. You are a braver man than I. Without you I wouldn't be able to argue you with on an Internet forum, seriously, no sarcasm no bullshit, thank you.
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

AZarchery wrote:
chiefzona wrote:

I come here to read news, updates, and opinions on ua football. I normally don't post things because who cares what I have to say? For the last 3 days though you have been talking in "facts" and absolutes, yet (as far as I know and you can prove me wrong) you don't work for the school in any manner, nor do you coach college football. So I can't help but say something when you just keep posting and keep posting in absolutes about something that you have no hand in.
A hand in? I would say what I do impacts the school and the football program for sure. Did you think RR and staff trolled here? I mean, this is a free Arizona football message board.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Chiefs self promotion and horn tooting is almost getting unbearable.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

AZarchery wrote:Seriously though thanks for your service. You are a braver man than I. Without you I wouldn't be able to argue you with on an Internet forum, seriously, no sarcasm no bullshit, thank you.
Thanks man. I really appreciate it.
wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

ASUHATER! wrote:Chiefs self promotion and horn tooting is almost getting unbearable.
There would be no U of A football without him...
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Chicat wrote:
You noticed that, huh?

:lol:

Seriously... I don't get people like the Chief. At least with people like enfuego it's fun to witness his adolescent trolling.
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

Anyway, to stay true to the thread, I think this game gets out of hand and gets a bit ugly. It would have been different if Nick was playing.
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

USC 55
Arizona 20
Boat raced yet again

But on the bright side......I think I am not the most disliked poster on the football board anymore!

Anyone want to talk about the 2015 recruiting class...I kid I kid

When the wheels fall off of Arizona football they fall off really fast
2004 First Team All American Football Poster as voted on by GOAZCATS
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

Like I said when Scooby was first injured, sometimes you just gotta shut it down, and that's the case with Nick too.

This is a lost season, and there's no one out there on this roster who's going to magically save it. This isn't a Disney movie.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Please. Doctors cleared Scooby and he went out there on his own will and the will of his family.

Just got to win one here to get to a bowl to build for next year.

Love all the captain heinsights.
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

Not sure what a "heinsight" is, but to put your personal health at risk because you think your presence on the field for this Arizona team will get a sixth win in a road game at USC is idiocy on a level I don't care to further discuss.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

It isn't up to you to decide how others treat their body nor is it to judge if it is doing no harm to other people.
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

Nor is it anyone else's.

Subjectivism is a nice way to disguise selfish motives, but personally, I'd rather Nick have a productive career than to sacrifice himself just so Arizona can limp into the AutoNation Bowl.

PHXCATS, I really wonder why you have such a low regard for so many posters here who disagree with you.

And I used to think like you about the attendance issue, but I had the worst fan experience at Arizona Stadium ever for the UCLA game, and nothing that's happened since then has really been evidence that any of that has changed, much less given me reason to go back.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

I only have a low regard for fair weather fans and those who only post during tough times. If you fall into those categories and that upsets you that is a you problem.

I read your post about your UCLA experience and it is not like anything anyone else I have ever spoke with has had. I think you are either making things out to be much worse than they were or had extremely bad luck which happens and is not a true indicator of how thing actually are.
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

PHXCATS wrote:I only have a low regard for fair weather fans and those who only post during tough times. If you fall into those categories and that upsets you that is a you problem.
I've posted with this community since the end of the Mackovic Era and Lute's last Final Four. Good times and bad. People need to celebrate, but people also sometimes need to vent.
PHXCATS wrote:I read your post about your UCLA experience and it is not like anything anyone else I have ever spoke with has had. I think you are either making things out to be much worse than they were or had extremely bad luck which happens and is not a true indicator of how thing actually are.
Feel free to tell my wife and kids that they are "making things out to be much worse than they are," though. She worked high school football games in Northern Arizona for 20 years and said our experience in Tucson was the worst she's ever had.

But thanks for finding yet another way to personally refuse to recognize there's a problem. I posted the experience on the destination page for TripAdvisor, even, and haven't heard a word in response since--except responses like yours on this board, of course.

So I guess Arizona athletics is just fine with the family gameday experience for alumni too. Whatever. I don't have to come back.

"Extremely bad luck." Remember how many seasons we'd cite that as the reason Arizona never made a Rose Bowl?

Now we have RichRod and we're not getting the breaks again. Sh*t happens, sure. So what do you do about it?

There are a number of indications that the majority of our defense, and several members of our staff, have chosen to give up or bounce for seemingly better pastures.

Shutting it down out of fear is one thing. Being lazy or unable to handle adversity is quite another.
ANGCatFan

Post by ANGCatFan »

I can no longer make it out to California for the game. I have 2 tickets in sec 3 row 36 for anyone that can make it to the game. PM me if you are interested.