Cactus Kickoff - BYU vs Arizona

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

TheBlackLodge

Re: Cactus Kickoff - BYU vs Arizona

Post by TheBlackLodge »

prh wrote:Wasn't the point of this game to cater to the Phoenix fans? We see them asking for games every year, why is it suddenly Tucson's responsibility to fill UoP up? Am I missing something here?
If only they'd hold the game inside Arcadia Tavern. :roll:
Formerly McLurvin
UALoco

Post by UALoco »

prh wrote:Wasn't the point of this game to cater to the Phoenix fans? We see them asking for games every year, why is it suddenly Tucson's responsibility to fill UoP up? Am I missing something here?
Agreed, but I think it will take all the Arizona football fans in the state to show up in order to fill the stadium.
RazorsEdgeAZ

Post by RazorsEdgeAZ »

In part probably. A main point of the game was to trial a neutral game market where both teams can earn extra revenue. Make money.
Finding a market where two teams can benefit with a geographical base where game located. Why they moved the 3rd game in this BYU series away from Provo (where originally scheduled) and to another neutral site in Las Vegas. Another chance to make higher revenue than just a home and home series.

Aside from who has the larger number of fans at this game, AZ will still benefit with BYU selling more tickets than AZ. AZ makes a bit more per each ticket sold than BYU does. The more tickets sold to the game the more each team makes regardless of which school sold more tickets. AZ gets an allotment of about 1,200 comp tickets and BYU gets about 600.

If AZ or BYU release any of their allotted tickets they can't sell, those will be offered to Cardinals ticket holders first. Which is good because again AZ and BYU will make money from those sold as well.

It's always about making money. Catering to Phoenix area fans was beneficial because each school has a fan base there to potentially have and interest in buying a ticket. A Business venture, nothing wrong with that.
CatsbyAZ

Post by CatsbyAZ »

RazorsEdgeAZ wrote:
In part probably. A main point of the game was to trial a neutral game market where both teams can earn extra revenue. Make money.
Hence the crappy kickoff time.

I'm hoping that really doesn't turn into an excuse for why anyone from Tucson doesn't want to go and deal with the late drive back. It's going to be a long Holiday weekend anyway; hopefully they're willing to cut into some sleep time.
“The force behind the movement of time is a mourning that will not be comforted.” author Marilynne Robinson
UALoco

Post by UALoco »

Some folks are always looking for an excuse. "It is too late" "It is too hot" "The other team is not high profile" "Too far" "Too much $$"

Other real fans show up. :x
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

The entirety of the responsibility for attendance for this game should lay with Phoenix fans. There's more than enough up there to fill up all our alloted seats and they've been wanting a game for ages. If arizona doesn't sell out its allotment, that's squarely on the Phoenix fans and no one else.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

So Tucson is to blame for all the poor attendance numbers there?

There are 40,000 alumni estimated in Phoenix but not all care about football. Byrne knew this and needed Tucson to step it up as do people in Phoenix.

At a talk here a month or so ago he asked who was going and who big ugh tickets yet. Almost everyone in the room was going but less than half bought them as of then. Still time but Everyone needs to pick it up soon.
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
UALoco

Post by UALoco »

ASUHATER! wrote:The entirety of the responsibility for attendance for this game should lay with Phoenix fans. There's more than enough up there to fill up all our alloted seats and they've been wanting a game for ages. If arizona doesn't sell out its allotment, that's squarely on the Phoenix fans and no one else.
cop-out
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

UALoco wrote:
ASUHATER! wrote:The entirety of the responsibility for attendance for this game should lay with Phoenix fans. There's more than enough up there to fill up all our alloted seats and they've been wanting a game for ages. If arizona doesn't sell out its allotment, that's squarely on the Phoenix fans and no one else.
cop-out
By phoenix fans? Absolutely. They gotta step it up after years of whining.

CatsbyAZ

Post by CatsbyAZ »

Like this if only for the line it draws in the sand.
“The force behind the movement of time is a mourning that will not be comforted.” author Marilynne Robinson
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

I think phoenix fans will show. I have season tickets and drive to Tucson for every game and I set my hotel schedule early. For this game I will also ge g a hotel near thd arena but I have no urgency to buy tickets or book that hotel yet. I think a lot of other Phoenix fans feel the same way.
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
UALoco

Post by UALoco »

ASUHATER! wrote:
UALoco wrote:
cop-out
By phoenix fans? Absolutely. They gotta step it up after years of whining.
Well ok, I guess we deserve that...it doesn't absolve Tucson of its totally pathetic football fan support. How many UA Alums in Tucson? How many conference games over the years haven't sold out? What else is there to do in Tucson on Saturdays that can't be done during the away game weekend? This game is on Labor day Weekend when 1/2 of Phoenix is in San Diego..they should have the game there. Also...I still think the fans will show..it is early yet.
azthrillhouse

Post by azthrillhouse »

azcat49 wrote: The bars will be packed
At least for once, not with opposing fans. :-)
azthrillhouse

Post by azthrillhouse »

I tend to be disappointed in my fellow PHX alumni when it comes to showing up at Phoenix events. I remember playing Illinois at the Suns arena (whatever the hell it's called now) in the early oughts(?) and it was maybe 2/3rd full with a fair amount of Illini fans. Back in the day with the Miles Simon game vs. Cincinnati at the Coliseum, I don't think that house was packed at all from what I remember from TV. ASU games in Tempe, with few exceptions, we seem to bring only a so-so amount. I'm not sure why that is, as it's not even the traditional problem of being basketball-focused, it's a problem for both sports.

Driving around the Valley, I see more UofA plates than ASU plates, I see people wearing about as much UofA gear as ASU out and about, so there's definitely support - why that doesn't typically translate to butts in seats, I'm not sure.

Comparing Tucson and Phoenix attendance/interest level, though, is apples/oranges. UofA is Tucson's pro team. Sports fans in Phoenix who would never spend a dime on ASU still have 4 major pro teams to spend their money on. Kids growing up in Phoenix these days whose families are unaffiliated with UofA or ASU identify with the Cardinals. Kids growing up in Tucson unaffiliated with UofA still identify with UofA.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Between actual alumni and tucson transplants and general fans there's probably well over 100,000 fans in the Phoenix area. They can get it done.

PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

azthrillhouse wrote:I tend to be disappointed in my fellow PHX alumni when it comes to showing up at Phoenix events. I remember playing Illinois at the Suns arena (whatever the hell it's called now) in the early oughts(?) and it was maybe 2/3rd full with a fair amount of Illini fans. Back in the day with the Miles Simon game vs. Cincinnati at the Coliseum, I don't think that house was packed at all from what I remember from TV. ASU games in Tempe, with few exceptions, we seem to bring only a so-so amount. I'm not sure why that is, as it's not even the traditional problem of being basketball-focused, it's a problem for both sports.

Driving around the Valley, I see more UofA plates than ASU plates, I see people wearing about as much UofA gear as ASU out and about, so there's definitely support - why that doesn't typically translate to butts in seats, I'm not sure.

Comparing Tucson and Phoenix attendance/interest level, though, is apples/oranges. UofA is Tucson's pro team. Sports fans in Phoenix who would never spend a dime on ASU still have 4 major pro teams to spend their money on. Kids growing up in Phoenix these days whose families are unaffiliated with UofA or ASU identify with the Cardinals. Kids growing up in Tucson unaffiliated with UofA still identify with UofA.
In regards to the games in thr NBA arenas I agree, I expected more UA fans. Last time vs Gonazaga though it was near Christmas and during a Cardinals game so I get that. Same with the last asu game in Tempe.

I do know a few people that will go to games in PHX but not at asu because they don't want to support them.

PHX has lots of die hands but not all the alumni and fans are and would rather due other things on labor day weekend, if it was the second or third weekend of the year the numbers from PHX fans would likely be better.

I also don't understand the guy who is always wrong on everything saying it all falls on PHX but takes no responsibily for Tucson as well as him saying that PHX has been crying for a game for years. Sure some fans want one but I haven't seen a major cry from many people for one. There hasn't has been a falling out with athletics and phoenix alumni the last few years and there have been some repair attempts recently.
Sid

Post by Sid »

PHXCATS wrote:
Merkin wrote:BYU fans coming down from Utah for the weekend, along with the Mormons in Mesa will own the house.
Why will Utah people do this but Tucson people won't?
We would own the house if we had a consistent top 10 program.

Shit, I can't go to Disneyland and not see Arizona gear represented. We love to promote our Ala Mater, but who really knows what team will show up for this game? Folks are skeptical and having the game on Labor Day weekend doesn't help either.

Winning puts butts in the seats.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

There are enough Mesa/Chandler/Gilbert Mormons and ones that would come from northern Arizona and Vegas to easily sell the byu allotment

Gilbertcat

Post by Gilbertcat »

It's easier to travel when your playing a power 5 team (byu perspective) . All the talk about byu outselling is missing one thing, plenty of seats on their side and plenty of games to travel (a few grand isn't that big of deal in a 70k stadium). Tucson will come if they want but is byu greater than Hawaii? Hawaii will be a week after and they went to a bcs bowl last(making a point here)...at the end of the day it's an OK matchup in a neutral location. Both sides are meh about it but go if you can and have fun. I'll go and drink a beer for ya
UALoco

Post by UALoco »

azthrillhouse wrote:I tend to be disappointed in my fellow PHX alumni when it comes to showing up at Phoenix events. I remember playing Illinois at the Suns arena (whatever the hell it's called now) in the early oughts(?) and it was maybe 2/3rd full with a fair amount of Illini fans. Back in the day with the Miles Simon game vs. Cincinnati at the Coliseum, I don't think that house was packed at all from what I remember from TV. ASU games in Tempe, with few exceptions, we seem to bring only a so-so amount. I'm not sure why that is, as it's not even the traditional problem of being basketball-focused, it's a problem for both sports.

Well put. I don't really go to many ASU/UA events in Tempe because their fans are so rude. It doesn't bother me when I'm with the boys, I give as good as anyone, but when I'm with my wife and kids...that is no fun.

I went to all the 7up shootout events in Phoenix, they were great. The Miles Simon last second shot to win Lute's 500th was awesome. Loved the aftermath with the Cincy coach destroying the locker room in anger.

I've noticed that UA doesn't get much press here. I know about all the events because I am a fanatic. But my friends who are more casual never seem to know an event is coming and struggle to attend. Not sure if it is because they are apathetic or just too busy.

I seriously think the BYU game would get more from PHX to attend if it was the next weekend. When you are in PHX on Labor Day Weekend, it is like you are the last man on earth. The town is dead because everyone is in SoCal or the North Country.

I'll get over it, I will be there, sweating my balls off at the tailgate and having a great time. BearDown.
CatsbyAZ

Post by CatsbyAZ »

In Scottsdale over the weekend for a wedding, bride and groom both UA grads. Got to talking with others about the Glandale game, and as I hoped, most of the PHX area UA grads are planning on attending, though haven't gotten around to getting tickets yet.
CatsbyAZ

Post by CatsbyAZ »

Tickets ordered!

UA side, lower bowl 20 ydln, 4 of us in all.
UALoco

Post by UALoco »

CatsbyAZ wrote:Tickets ordered!

UA side, lower bowl 20 ydln, 4 of us in all.
Atta'boy
wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

I'm waiting for a staff discount code email from athletics. C'mon Greg, send it!
UALoco

Post by UALoco »

Start time announced: 7:30pm. Should be quite baked by then.
Gilbertcat

Post by Gilbertcat »

As a selling point to any friends out there:
Will beer and alcohol be available to purchase at University of Phoenix Stadium?

A: Yes, fans will be able to purchase alcohol at the game. Please remember to drink responsibly and designate a driver within your group.
http://arizonawildcats.com/sports/2016/ ... 56688.aspx" target="_blank
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Only in the BYU sections. :mrgreen:
Gilbertcat

Post by Gilbertcat »

azgreg wrote:Only in the BYU sections. :mrgreen:

They deliver :D
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

MINO's? (Mormon In Name Only)
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

How do you stop a Mormon from drinking all your booze?
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Merkin wrote:How do you stop a Mormon from drinking all your booze?
Invite another Mormon?
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

azgreg wrote:
Invite another Mormon?

wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

The joke, as I was told it is....

Why do you take two Mo's fishing?

Because if you only take one, he'll drink all your beer.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Just reading a preview of the BYU team.

http://campusinsiders.com/news/byu-foot ... 05-12-2016" target="_blank

New coaches, QB battle, going to a 4-3 defense from a 3-4, star RB is back.

Really hard to say.
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

Merkin wrote:Just reading a preview of the BYU team.

Really hard to say.

Their offense is going from the spread to a prostyle offense as well.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

chiefzona wrote:
Merkin wrote:Just reading a preview of the BYU team.

Really hard to say.

Their offense is going from the spread to a prostyle offense as well.
That certainly does not bode well for Arizona, at least in the Casteel years. Hopefully Yates is much better prepared in defending the pro style offense.
UALoco

Post by UALoco »

Information about special hotel deals for the game.

http://arizonawildcats.com/sports/2016/ ... 56688.aspx
UALoco

Post by UALoco »

FightWildcatsFight

Post by FightWildcatsFight »

Sitting in Row 7, section 116 which is right on the back corner of one of the end zones. Not sure which.
ANGCatFan

Post by ANGCatFan »

Arizona Daily Wildcat with an Arizona football history primer before the new season starts.
Arizona football started in 1899, and the Varsity—as the team was called at the time—played to a 1-1-1 record. Arizona slogged along during the early part of the 20th century as a program without an identity.

Then, following a tough loss to favored Occidental College in 1914, the Varsity was noted as having “the fight of wildcats." An identity was formed, and the Arizona Wildcats slowly started their march out of obscurity.
BAREDOWN

Post by BAREDOWN »

Just bought my 6 tickets today. Very surprised at the amount of tickets still available. Got lower level in the corner. Tickets all together we're just under $200. After fees and processing, the total was $306. Kind of ridiculous if you ask me.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

CatsbyAZ

Post by CatsbyAZ »

BAREDOWN wrote:Just bought my 6 tickets today. Very surprised at the amount of tickets still available. Got lower level in the corner. Tickets all together we're just under $200. After fees and processing, the total was $306. Kind of ridiculous if you ask me.
Sounds like I paid about the same rate for seats in the same general area, and yes, my big take away was the shameless ticket fees applied each time to each ticket purchased.

edit: looking at the seating map, looks like UA has caught up some to the BYU side.
UALoco

Post by UALoco »

Excerpt from Greg Byrnes "Wildcat Wednesday" email.

"COUNTDOWN TO CACTUS KICKOFF IS ON
We’re less than three weeks away from the Cactus Kickoff vs. BYU at University of Phoenix Stadium, which has prompted us to play a little game of ‘Did You Know.’ Did you know, the last time Arizona played a football game in the Valley that wasn’t a bowl game or a game against our rivals was 1956? That’s right, it will be close to 60 years between our last regular-season, non-ASU game in the Phoenix area and the Cactus Kickoff, and we couldn’t be more excited about it. Ever since I came to Arizona, one of the questions I’ve been asked the most is when or if we were going to play a football game in Phoenix and now it’s right around the corner.

Ticket sales on the Arizona side of University of Phoenix Stadium are on the rise, but we still have some ground to make up on our BYU counterparts. It’s time for Arizona fans to rally. This game is extremely important for the growth of our football program. It can help us increase our profile across the landscape of college football and could also be a nice boost in recruiting.

For our fans in the Valley, this is something you’ve been waiting on for a long time. We ask you to come down to Tucson to help support the Wildcats each fall and now you have a chance to do so in your own backyard. For our great fans in Tucson, this is a chance to hit a neutral-site game less than two hours away. We need you to be there to help turn UOP Stadium into #OURHOUSE.

Tickets start at just $25 and you’ll be able to watch your Wildcats in the comfort of a climate-controlled NFL Stadium. Don’t let this opportunity slip by. For Tucson fans, we added another bus to the “reverse Cat Cruiser” because of demand. Reserve your spot and enjoy the ride without having to worry about parking.

You can find all the information you need on the game, including pregame events, bus transportation and tickets at ArizonaWildcats.com/cactuskickoff."
azpenguin

Post by azpenguin »

UALoco wrote:climate-controlled NFL Stadium
It's got cooling, sure, but anyone who was at that Fiesta Bowl can tell you it sure as hell isn't heated. Good lord, that was COLD.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

The lack of tickets being sold will hurt big time when it comes to bowl selections.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

PHXCATS wrote:The lack of tickets being sold will hurt big time when it comes to bowl selections.
You are assuming of course the Cats make a bowl.

The latest SBNation article says no bowl!
Sid

Post by Sid »

Merkin wrote:
PHXCATS wrote:The lack of tickets being sold will hurt big time when it comes to bowl selections.

You know if I hadn't read that fine piece of journalism from my iPad and had print capabilities, I would've printed that out and wiped my ass with it.

BTFD
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Merkin wrote:

I like the Cats for 7 or 8 wins but it just isn't this year' but future years. I have head bowls haven't been happy with UA fans since the Alamo Bowl.