catinfl

Re: Cornerbacks Coach/Lead Recruiter Search

Post by catinfl »

azcat49 wrote:
catinfl wrote:
cordera89 wrote:Tony White of SDSU?

Tee Martin of USC?

Scott White of UCLA?
In no world could Arizona afford Martin or White.
So SDSU can outpay a power 5 conference school? Maybe we need to move to the MWC then

EDIT: maybe you meant the UCLA guy
Yeah I meant the UCLA guy haha. Forgot they have the same last name
gronk4heisman

Post by gronk4heisman »

How about World Wide Wes, he helped make John Calipari appear to be an elite coach.
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

Scott White? Is this just a random name?!?

Courtney Viney would be a good hire. I'm surprised nobody has snatched him up with an assistant coach job yet.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

MrBug708 wrote:Courtney Viney would be a good hire. I'm surprised nobody has snatched him up with an assistant coach job yet.
Lot of SoCal connections. Me likey.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

He's been responsible for a lot of Fresno kids to Oklahoma, but most of them never pan out or Joe Mixon
cordera89

Re: A look at possible replacements for Williams on Arizona

Post by cordera89 »

Here the link of the article:http://allsportstucson.com/2016/12/08/a ... ats-staff/

It only Four Name.

Charlie Champ
Vance Bradford
Tony White
Duane Akina
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

You would think Akina would have burned his bridges with Arizona.
Footballjunkie

Post by Footballjunkie »

Chicat wrote:Figure we should chat here instead of cluttering the recruiting thread.

So RR has to replace Williams ASAP. Who can he conceivably get?

If we can hire Tony White this week that has to be considered a home run.
Most Federal and State positions usually have a period of time that a position has to be posted. Don't think RR will make your Dec 12 ASAP deadline. :(
I don't know what the minimum period of time is for the State of Arizona?

At my Federal job, if its a short period of time, we say that they already knew who they wanted to hire.

Anybody know what the minimum time period a job has to be posted?
Bueller,Bueller.... :)
UALoco

Post by UALoco »

I don't think we ought to make TX an emphasis over CA. TX has its rightful place as a source for talent but you are competing against 5 Big 5 Texas schools not to mention the OK schools that source much of their talent from TX. Compared to CA which has a much higher population(approx. 38 MM compared to 26MM in TX) and only 4 Big 5 schools. There is probably a higher % of kids that play FB in TX but they all seem to want to play in TX.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Footballjunkie wrote:
Chicat wrote:Figure we should chat here instead of cluttering the recruiting thread.

So RR has to replace Williams ASAP. Who can he conceivably get?

If we can hire Tony White this week that has to be considered a home run.
Most Federal and State positions usually have a period of time that a position has to be posted. Don't think RR will make your Dec 12 ASAP deadline. :(
I don't know what the minimum period of time is for the State of Arizona?

At my Federal job, if its a short period of time, we say that they already knew who they wanted to hire.

Anybody know what the minimum time period a job has to be posted?
Bueller,Bueller.... :)
Might not be an official announcement right away but I still expect a hire this weekend.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

UALoco wrote:I don't think we ought to make TX an emphasis over CA. TX has its rightful place as a source for talent but you are competing against 5 Big 5 Texas schools not to mention the OK schools that source much of their talent from TX. Compared to CA which has a much higher population(approx. 38 MM compared to 26MM in TX) and only 4 Big 5 schools. There is probably a higher % of kids that play FB in TX but they all seem to want to play in TX.

AllSportsTucson.com has learned that former Texas recruiting coordinator Brian Jean-Mary has surfaced as a strong contender for the vacant assistant coaching position at Arizona. Read about it in the blog ...

http://allsportstucson.com/2016/12/09/f ... ng-search/" target="_blank
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Cordera said "no" to him already. I have no idea what that meant.
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

He's probably being talked to in regards with Dudek's position. Haha
whatisee

Post by whatisee »

Merkin wrote:
UALoco wrote:I don't think we ought to make TX an emphasis over CA. TX has its rightful place as a source for talent but you are competing against 5 Big 5 Texas schools not to mention the OK schools that source much of their talent from TX. Compared to CA which has a much higher population(approx. 38 MM compared to 26MM in TX) and only 4 Big 5 schools. There is probably a higher % of kids that play FB in TX but they all seem to want to play in TX.

AllSportsTucson.com has learned that former Texas recruiting coordinator Brian Jean-Mary has surfaced as a strong contender for the vacant assistant coaching position at Arizona. Read about it in the blog ...

100% down with this option. Would be a home run hire IMO
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

whatisee wrote:
Merkin wrote:

A home run? I don't think Arizona can match his salary.
whatisee

Post by whatisee »

chiefzona wrote:
whatisee wrote:
Merkin wrote:

Did unemplyment money suddenly go up? He's about to be shown the door by the new coach since he's a Strong guy. Perfect timing
wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

Has the job been posted on uacareers.com??
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

whatisee wrote:
chiefzona wrote:
whatisee wrote:
Merkin wrote:

Did unemplyment money suddenly go up? He's about to be shown the door by the new coach since he's a Strong guy. Perfect timing
He has a couple of options though. If Strong gets USF, he might go there. He knows nothing about west coast recruiting or SoCal. He'd be a position upgrade but a recruiting downgrade. Granted that he would be a year lease.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

wyo-cat wrote:Has the job been posted on uacareers.com??
Yes
cordera89

Post by cordera89 »

Chicat wrote:Cordera said "no" to him already. I have no idea what that meant.
I said no to him because I don't think he has the potential. And beside I'm not the one that making the choices on who to hired. That all on RR.
WildcatLouis

Post by WildcatLouis »

cordera89 wrote:
I said no to him because I don't think he has the potential. And beside I'm not the one that making the choices on who to hired. That all on RR.
Is Cordera just a long-running joke? He cannot actually be a real person attempting to comment on UA sports, right? Maybe an ASU fan that has been trolling this board for the past couple of years? Nothing he says ever makes a damn bit of sense. I am not even sure that he watches games or understands sports in the slightest. He reminds me of those commercials where people comment on something that is totally out of their realm and then they say, "Well, I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night."

"I don't think he has the potential." What in the actual fuck does that mean? And what exactly are you basing that on? Certainly not on the fact that the guy was named the BIG12 recruiter of the year last year or considered to be one of the top recruiters in the country by ESPN.

Didn't mean to derail the thread, but Cordera is making these boards insufferable lately.
Last edited by WildcatLouis on Fri Dec 09, 2016 2:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
UAdevil

Post by UAdevil »

^Yes, yes he is...
Love the 've! Stop with the: Would of - Could of - Should of - Must of - Might of
cordera89

Post by cordera89 »

WildcatLouis wrote:
cordera89 wrote:
Is Cordera just a long-running joke? He cannot actually be a real person attempting to comment on UA sports, right? Maybe an ASU fan that has been trolling this board for the past couple of years? Nothing he says ever makes a damn bit of sense. I am not even sure that he watches games or understands sports in the slightest. He reminds me of those commercials where people comment on something that is totally out of their realm and then they say, "Well, I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night."

"I don't think he has the potential." What in the actual fuck does that mean? And what exactly are you basing that on? Certainly not on the fact that the guy was named the BIG12 recruiter of the year last year or considered to be one of the top recruiters in the country by ESPN.

Didn't mean to derail the thread, but Cordera is making these boards insufferable lately.
You know I just going to laugh at you because you could of just did the smart thing by ignore it, Bu instead you want to be an ass that you are.

I think you do know what I mean because your not using your brain. What do I mean that he doesn't have the potential. Well if you read article and ask yourself? If hired, Can he come in too Arizona knowing the situation that RR is in, Don't care about a Muti year contract, just go out, recruit the kids, get these kids to sign with Arizona.

You can insult me all you want, I don't care, I still be on here writing my own comment. You can like it or not I will still cheer for Arizona Football.
whatisee

Post by whatisee »

The recruiting director for the Texas Longhorns would be a downgrade for Arizona!

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahah!!
I just pissed my pants. Chief...man give yourself a break bro
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

UAdevil wrote:^Yes, yes he is...
Especially if he is JessieWildcat from TOS. Both are ESL.
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

whatisee wrote:The recruiting director for the Texas Longhorns would be a downgrade for Arizona!

He'd be a position upgrade but a recruiting downgrade. He doesn't know West Coast recruiting and has zero relationships and zero pull with recruits that he is recruiting and in the west coast area. Donte would run circles around him. He is a better positional coach than Donte but he is a worse recruiter in the west coast than Donte. Take that for what it's worth. RR won't be around long anyway so it all doesn't matter in the end. You can get all excited like a little boy only to find out that Christmas is cancelled and there is no Santa. But please.....continue.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Chief, you never cease to amaze with the depth of your knowledge.
prh

Post by prh »

WildcatLouis wrote:
cordera89 wrote:
There's an ignore function, it's magical. It's like the good ole days of skipping past Salty and Machina's posts. Anything worth reading typically gets quoted by somebody anyways.
whatisee

Post by whatisee »

chiefzona wrote:
whatisee wrote:The recruiting director for the Texas Longhorns would be a downgrade for Arizona!

He'd be a position upgrade but a recruiting downgrade. He doesn't know West Coast recruiting and has zero relationships and zero pull with recruits that he is recruiting and in the west coast area. Donte would run circles around him. He is a better positional coach than Donte but he is a worse recruiter in the west coast than Donte. Take that for what it's worth. RR won't be around long anyway so it all doesn't matter in the end. You can get all excited like a little boy only to find out that Christmas is cancelled and there is no Santa. But please.....continue.
I'm all excited like a little boy right now...can't respond cause i'm Christmas shopping
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

Then buy a new pair.... people in Austin were not exactly thrilled with Strong's recruiting. His last 2 classes looked pretty good on paper, in part because he signed a ton of guys. This year their class had 7 SEVUN commitments and was ranked 71st - and it is highly unlikely they were finishing strong even if he stayed.

ANYONE can recruit at Texas... and he did not do better than (or arguably as well as) historical standards.

I think we have established that RR is not a very good recruiter... he had 2 top 10 classes at Michigan.
whatisee

Post by whatisee »

Harvey Specter wrote:

Then buy a new pair.... people in Austin were not exactly thrilled with Strong's recruiting. His last 2 classes looked pretty good on paper, in part because he signed a ton of guys. This year their class had 7 SEVUN commitments and was ranked 71st - and it is highly unlikely they were finishing strong even if he stayed.

ANYONE can recruit at Texas... and he did not do better than (or arguably as well as) historical standards.

I think we have established that RR is not a very good recruiter... he had 2 top 10 classes at Michigan.
Strong's problem in part was recruiting, but he had a lot of players to replace. If i remember he kicked at least 10 guys off the team his first couple months. As far as this yer is concerned I'm sure the kids in Texas could smell a change coming so they went elsewhere. He shouldn't have kicked out so many dudes. He might still have his job.

Rich Rod coached Michigan 3 years. 2 of those years he had top 10 classes according to you. I fail to see why you bring this up. Makes RR look good
tgrumpy2

Post by tgrumpy2 »

Merkin wrote:You would think Akina would have burned his bridges with Arizona.

I'll get fileted for this but I'm not an Akina fan anyway. I like Champs. I like his UofA history and the fact he has recruiting contacts in a lot of places. I'll just assume he knows how to coach.
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

whatisee wrote:
Harvey Specter wrote:

Strong's problem in part was recruiting, but he had a lot of players to replace. If i remember he kicked at least 10 guys off the team his first couple months. As far as this yer is concerned I'm sure the kids in Texas could smell a change coming so they went elsewhere. He shouldn't have kicked out so many dudes. He might still have his job.

Rich Rod coached Michigan 3 years. 2 of those years he had top 10 classes according to you. I fail to see why you bring this up. Makes RR look good
Getting good recruiting classes at a Top 5 program that recruits itself does not prove that a coach is a good recruiter. Any coach that has that job is going to look good - whether he is or not.

Imagine what Mike Stoops could pull at a school like Michigan or Texas... considering how much better he did at Arizona than the guy that followed him.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Is Mike Stoops setting the world on fire recruiting to Oklahoma? Actually, I was under the impression that he didn't have to recruit at all.
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

Chicat wrote:Is Mike Stoops setting the world on fire recruiting to Oklahoma? Actually, I was under the impression he didn't have to recruit at all.
I am not saying that he is the world's greatest recruiter... I am saying he recruited better when he was here than RR - and with much crappier facilities.

And OU does pretty well recruiting, and will regardless of who the coach is.
cordera89

Post by cordera89 »

Harvey Specter wrote:
Chicat wrote:Is Mike Stoops setting the world on fire recruiting to Oklahoma? Actually, I was under the impression he didn't have to recruit at all.
I am not saying that he is the world's greatest recruiter... I am saying he recruited better when he was here than RR - and with much crappier facilities.

Harvey, Not all coaches can recruit the same as the Predecessor has.
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

cordera89 wrote:
Harvey Specter wrote:

Harvey, Not all coaches can recruit the same as the Predecessor has.
And some recruit better.... I am glad we got that straight.

I am scratching my head why we are paying our HC the 3rd or 4th highest salary in the conference if he cannot recruit very well or win conference games. Hmmm... after firing a guy who had no previous HC experience, was paid significantly less, and was more effective on both fronts.

And FWIW, Stoops would have had a South Div championship had they existed while he was here. 2? seasons before he was canned.
wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

So, we were better off under Stoops? He won 41 games in 7+ years and RR has won 36 in 5.

I'm not happy with where the season ended, but it's better than the good ole days you are pining for.

BTW, RR isn't one of the top paid coaches in the conference, he's paid $2.2 million by the U and $1.2 by private sources. Placing him solidly in the middle of total compensation and at the bottom for what he actually costs the U.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

It's not better via the evidence that Harvey has presented many times. Stupid never played 3 cup cakes a year, he had more draftee's, he had more all conference guys, he had a better pac 12 conference record without playing a woeful CU team 4 times.

Given the choice between Stoops or RR, I would take Stoops back in a heartbeat
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

azcat49 wrote:Given the choice between Stoops or RR, I would take Stoops back in a heartbeat
Dear lord...
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

I know, sad isn't it LOL
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Harvey Specter wrote:after firing a guy who had no previous HC experience, was paid significantly less
Mike Stoops will never be a HC again.

Mark Stoops doing pretty well though.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Merkin wrote:
Harvey Specter wrote:after firing a guy who had no previous HC experience, was paid significantly less

And RR shouldn't be either :)
cordera89

Post by cordera89 »

azcat49 wrote:
Merkin wrote:

And RR shouldn't be either :)
What happen if RR does better in 2017?
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Better to me is 11-3 not 6-6. His 6th year and this program should be built. It hasn't been. Time to move on and get someone who wants to be here
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

azcat49 wrote:Better to me is 11-3 not 6-6. His 6th year and this program should be built. It hasn't been. Time to move on and get someone who wants to be here
^^^ Exactly... but better to me is 8-4.

I cannot even fathom this "as long as you do better next year (go 5-7 or 6-6!) we will pay you the rest of your retention bonus and give you an extension" attitude. Then we will absolve you of the shit-show you produced for the past 2 years!

I want a job like that. Hey... we are not going to win any business in the coming year - but have my back and I PROMISE we will show greater improvement the following year than this region has ever seen! Keep those checks for $2.5M coming!
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

wyo-cat wrote:So, we were better off under Stoops? He won 41 games in 7+ years and RR has won 36 in 5.

I'm not happy with where the season ended, but it's better than the good ole days you are pining for.

BTW, RR isn't one of the top paid coaches in the conference, he's paid $2.2 million by the U and $1.2 by private sources. Placing him solidly in the middle of total compensation and at the bottom for what he actually costs the U.
You keep giving him credit for playing from the ladies' tees if you must. And please do not insinuate that what RR inherited was anywhere close to the mess that Stoops walked into. The Stoops era was not the "good ol' days". But on a relative basis, his collective performance was better than his successor's - which shows how shitty things are.

Facts:

1. RR will need to go 5-4 in P12 play next year to have a better career conference winning % than Stoops. Wow.

2. RR's claim to fame is a South Division Championship; Stoops would have had one had the 2 divisions existed in 2009.

3. I do not give any credit for annual wins against NAU, So Car State, or even the thrilling come-from-behind home victory against Grambling State in 2016.***

***Some others obviously do - which to me is about like paying a PGA Tour player earnings for beating his amaterur playing partners in a Pro-Am. BRAVO!

I find it comical that RR had the chutzpah to deride the quality of talent in the program when he arrived. You know what they say about pointing a finger at somebody... you end up with 3 pointing back at yourself.

In 2014 or 2015, RR was the 3rd or 4th highest paid coach in the P-12, but I just looked and you are correct - he is not anymore. He is now #9 - which makes me feel better... although that does not factor in the platinum retention bonus he is getting.
BearDown89

Post by BearDown89 »

Well, spit it out Chief....
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Oh geez.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

BearDown89 wrote: Well, spit it out Chief....
The most important nugget of info I gleaned from that tweet is that Chief knows something before the rest of us do.