14 Khalil Tate

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Gladiator Cat

Re: 14 Khalil Tate

Post by Gladiator Cat »

The truth is Tate caught lighting in a bottle for four games last year before teams figured him out and Wildcats fans went full on tard including myself being caught-up in Khalil Tate as a Arizona football savior.

It was dumb then and its dumb now. Tate has come back to earth as he was always destined to do. When he leaves Arizona he will have lived a childhood dream to play D-1 college football as a QB. We all will have fond memories of that record setting stretch that we all rejoiced in and he will be remembered as a great wildcat.

Whether that translates into playing on Sunday, we will have to see. I would put odds at about 5% that he would make a NFL squad as a QB.

Anyway It doesn't matter, it will still have been great for Arizona football to have had him here for four years and hopefully set the stage for more big-time QB's to follow.
tgrumpy2

Post by tgrumpy2 »

MrMeow wrote:
tgrumpy2 wrote:
Merkin wrote:
I'm glad I'm not the only one that sees that. Tate is a great athlete but he may be a candy ass. We'll see.
Possible, but why would he have suddenly gone from the antithesis of a candy ass last season to a candy ass now? Puzzling.
Easy now. I didn't say he was. I said maybe. He is an incredible athlete but I noticed his limp seemed to come and go. Last season I think he was hurt. One possible explanation of it can be he's not going to run like he did last year because that's not what is expected of him and people are all over him about. Maybe he thinks if he gives us all a limp now and then we'll stay off his back. I wouldn't blame him for that. I think yesterday he did an extraordinary job of running that offense and over all have no problems with his performance. But I noticed his limp seemed to come and go and seemed to show up when a play didn't go well.
tgrumpy2

Post by tgrumpy2 »

MrMeow wrote:
Merkin wrote:
MrMeow wrote:
tgrumpy2 wrote:
Merkin wrote:
I'm glad I'm not the only one that sees that. Tate is a great athlete but he may be a candy ass. We'll see.
Possible, but why would he have suddenly gone from the antithesis of a candy ass last season to a candy ass now? Puzzling.
Last 3 games of last season too. Believe his biggest game since the 9th game of last season was 58 rushing yards.

Maybe he took a close look at what happened to Anu Solomon in a RichRod offense. Hilinski too for that matter. Hilinski had a brain of a 65 year old due to CTE.
I don't recall Tate behaving like a candy ass in the last 3 games of last season. I only recall that teams learned how to contain him and his running became ineffective. The change of heart you mention is plausible . If true, I can't say I blame him.

By the way, what is the material difference between a healthy 65 year old brain and a healthy 20 year old brain? A serious, and perhaps irrelevant question, but most 65 year olds (and older) I know could run mental circles around most 20 year olds.

You're absolutely right about 65 year old brains. A 20 year old body will run circles around ours. That's why if an older man has any sense, he'll realize he is to old to fight and simply kill the man outright.
prh

Post by prh »

MrMeow wrote:By the way, what is the material difference between a healthy 65 year old brain and a healthy 20 year old brain? A serious, and perhaps irrelevant question, but most 65 year olds (and older) I know could run mental circles around most 20 year olds.
Short answer is a 65 year old brain shows signs of physical deterioration and will continue to worsen, while a 20 year old brain is still developing and will have quite a while to stay physically healthy.

The fact that 65 year olds can run circles around 20 year olds is a slight distraction, since that's more about the learned knowledge/experience and not completely about the physical health of brain matter.
Last edited by prh on Sun Sep 23, 2018 5:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

AKA CRS syndrome.
blackjacker

Post by blackjacker »

Fact is that he will never be the runner he was, regardless if it's his choice, the coaching staff's choice or if he now has a bum ankle. If the latter, it will never get completely healed as you can see by yesterday's game, opposing defenders are going to try to injure it more every chance they get.
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

Alieberman wrote:I think it's time to stop thinking that Tate should be superman each and every game and anything less is a failure.

He is a very good qb for AZ... enjoy it
Yes, this.
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Irish27

Post by Irish27 »

2019 & 2021 Basketball RAP Winner/2022 Football RAP Winner
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

Personally I couldn't care less if he answered that question after the game.

I do care about how he looks out on the field though.

He looks slow. He looks downright pedestrian out there when he tries to run now. He's also taking some weird steps when running to his left.

If it's all due to his ankles hurting, then he needs to rest until those are healthy.

A slow Tate is an ineffective Tate, and his passing isn't good enough to make up for his current inability to effectively run with the ball. We can't play Oregon St. every week.
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

Gimino

Post by Gimino »

Nothing in college football is more surprising than Khalil Tate's 69 rushing yards in five games.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

When they show Tate leaving the field each time, he has horrible body language, does not appear to be talking to the rest of the team and doesn't look like he's enjoying anything.

As a Bears fan, he is reminding me of Jay Cutler. Lots of talent, but not a team leader.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Alieberman wrote:When they show Tate leaving the field each time, he has horrible body language, does not appear to be talking to the rest of the team and doesn't look like he's enjoying anything.
Reminds me of Anu Solomon, who wouldn't even sit with the team when he was injured.
Tatanka

Post by Tatanka »

Gimino wrote:Nothing in college football is more surprising than Khalil Tate's 69 rushing yards in five games.

Not really. You have to listen to the right people. There were a couple of guys since spring saying that Tate’s 2017 season was an anomaly and that he really was a RB and not a QB and that he was not Heisman material. There are very few smart football guys around the Arizona football program.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Merkin wrote:
Alieberman wrote:When they show Tate leaving the field each time, he has horrible body language, does not appear to be talking to the rest of the team and doesn't look like he's enjoying anything.
Reminds me of Anu Solomon, who wouldn't even sit with the team when he was injured.
At least when Anu was injured he was really injured.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Tatanka wrote: Not really. You have to listen to the right people. There were a couple of guys since spring saying that Tate’s 2017 season was an anomaly and that he really was a RB and not a QB and that he was not Heisman material. There are very few smart football guys around the Arizona football program.
Lot of smart guys in college football outside of Arizona. I believe UA was the only school to offer Tate a scholie as a QB, every other team wanted him as an athlete.
Tatanka

Post by Tatanka »

Merkin wrote:
Tatanka wrote: Not really. You have to listen to the right people. There were a couple of guys since spring saying that Tate’s 2017 season was an anomaly and that he really was a RB and not a QB and that he was not Heisman material. There are very few smart football guys around the Arizona football program.
Lot of smart guys in college football outside of Arizona. I believe UA was the only school to offer Tate a scholie as a QB, every other team wanted him as an athlete.

I’m talking about the media and people who follow the program closely. There is no accountability.
DrWildcat

Post by DrWildcat »

Whoever is in Tate's ear is a complete idiot. As a pure QB, Tate has a decent arm and thats about it. His footwork and decision making are well below average. It is clear that he has no future as a NFL QB. The best he could do is put up Lamar Jackson type numbers and hope that some team makes a mistake and drafts him. He is doing himself no favors by trying to be something he is not. Eventually he is going to find himself on the bench. I for one hope it is sooner rather than later.
KillerKlown

Post by KillerKlown »

If he's not going to run, run, run like October i want the QB that played like the first half vs ASU last season. That to me looked like his best game as a QB. He was like a surgeon, precise and in control. But i doubt he'll ever get that play calling again as long as Mazzone is OC.
Mike Luke's burner account.
ArizonaBearDown

Post by ArizonaBearDown »

I think people who question our QB as to whether his injury is real are going too far. The head coach would not be rewarding him with playing time if he was faking an injury and being detrimental to the team.
Phylek

Post by Phylek »

ArizonaBearDown wrote:I think people who question our QB as to whether his injury is real are going too far. The head coach would not be rewarding him with playing time if he was faking an injury and being detrimental to the team.
If he is legitimately injured then him playing is detrimental to the team, his recovery, and his career. So which is it? Either way he shouldn't be playing, right now.
Sid

Post by Sid »

Phylek wrote:
ArizonaBearDown wrote:I think people who question our QB as to whether his injury is real are going too far. The head coach would not be rewarding him with playing time if he was faking an injury and being detrimental to the team.
If he is legitimately injured then him playing is detrimental to the team, his recovery, and his career. So which is it? Either way he shouldn't be playing, right now.
Tate seems to be just fine after a big play, no limping around when he’s running down the field to celebrate in the end zone with his teammates. Wonder why?
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Sid wrote:
Phylek wrote:
Tate seems to be just fine after a big play, no limping around when he’s running down the field to celebrate in the end zone with his teammates. Wonder why?
I hope someone gives him the real talk. His game doesn't translate to the NFL as a QB and his piss poor attitude and his ego make it even worse.
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Sid wrote:Tate seems to be just fine after a big play, no limping around when he’s running down the field to celebrate in the end zone with his teammates. Wonder why?
This is what I'm seeing. He limps around after a bad play and looks just fine after a good one.
blackjacker

Post by blackjacker »

2 games ago staff should have sat him down and said "Son, you aren't helping the team and you are ruining any chance you have at getting drafted, so we're going to redshirt you so you can heal that ankle, watch game film and try again next year. While you are resting, think about running the ball at least as much as a non dual threat QB"
OSUCat

Post by OSUCat »

The Cal game QB was hard to watch. Tate has no short/intermediate pass game that isn’t a bullet. Most be frustrating to Mazzone that Tate can’t really pass the screen plays that is a cornerstone of his offenses. I’m just not sure what we are seeing.
Formerly Lynx Rufus.
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

I can't remember which play it was but it was one of those Tate plays you left scratching your head because he pulled up instead of turning it up field like he did last year.

The camera panned to Mazzone and he look totally frustrated. Think he muttered something like "what the fuck is he doing?"
MrMeow

Post by MrMeow »

OSUCat wrote:The Cal game QB was hard to watch. Tate has no short/intermediate pass game that isn’t a bullet. Most be frustrating to Mazzone that Tate can’t really pass the screen plays that is a cornerstone of his offenses. I’m just not sure what we are seeing.
We're seeing a kid who had better pay attention to the free education he is getting because professional sports is not in his future.
Last edited by MrMeow on Mon Oct 08, 2018 3:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

There is no lingering injury and no way he is starting all season unless he proves himself soon. Everyone on the sidelines is rolling their eyes with us.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

EastCoastCat wrote:I can't remember which play it was but it was one of those Tate plays you left scratching your head because he pulled up instead of turning it up field like he did last year.

The camera panned to Mazzone and he look totally frustrated. Think he muttered something like "what the fuck is he doing?"
He ran read option a few times and didn't look hurt. He avoided contact, though. Mainly, I remember him on the 3rd and 9 deep in our territory where he picked up a first. He ran a few times effectively, and I'd hope we see more read option.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Good think the UA decided to loose the tripple option.

catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

Some say you're dead, Khalil, 'cause of this.
Others say ya never will be, 'cause of this.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

What does that tweet mean?

It doesn’t seem good
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

If his head was at the same talent level as his body he would be unbeatable.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Alieberman wrote:What does that tweet mean?

It doesn’t seem good
I think he’s talking about ball security.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Chicat wrote:

It doesn’t seem good
I hope you're right. His cryptic tweets are aggravating.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

azgreg wrote:
Chicat wrote:

It doesn’t seem good
I hope you're right. His cryptic tweets are aggravating.
Eh, just my play on the word “loose”.

Who the fuck knows what that shit means? What’s truly aggravating is that he absolutely refuses to be a leader and to lead by example.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Oh you youngsters!

Still am embarrassed though when an UA student-athlete cannot spell.
StickItInTheyFace

Post by StickItInTheyFace »

Merkin wrote:Oh you youngsters!

Still am embarrassed though when an UA student-athlete cannot spell.
Probably even worse, Nipsey also spelled it as "loose" in his Instagram post. No quotation marks or citations in Tate's tweet. Not only can he not spell check, now he's plagiarizing too.
Carcassdragger

Post by Carcassdragger »

[/quote]
Probably even worse, Nipsey also spelled it as "loose" in his Instagram post. No quotation marks or citations in Tate's tweet. Not only can he not spell check, now he's plagiarizing too.[/quote]

Stickitintheyface. Dude, I have to ask. Back in around 1983 or so, U of A beat ASU. Al Bubba Gross, a very good wildcat DB who ended up playing in the NFL, was interviewed after the game. Bubba told the reporter that ASU had disrespected the cats and now, "They can stick it in they face" and walked off. Is your moniker related to this great quote from a great player?
2020 BEARDOWN WILDCATS RAP Champion
2018 BEARDOWN WILDCATS SURVIVAL POOL Champion
2017 BEARDOWN WILDCATS RAP Champion
2013 GOAZCATS SURVIVAL POOL Champion