New Tradition at Arizona Stadium

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

PieceOfMeat

Re: New Tradition at Arizona Stadium

Post by PieceOfMeat »

splitsecond wrote: Works fine at every professional sports venue in the state. U of P has two outside patios and allows it in the ramp area. Nothing gets in. Same with the Chase field and whatever the hell the suns arena will be called now. Just need a place people can walk out and walk back in that's roped off.
First, you don't think the atmosphere, and people attending, are different at a college game than at a pro game? I do. Perhaps I'm incorrect on that, but I'm basing it off experience. Maybe it's changed?

Second, you're comparing two indoor facilities to AZ's open stadium? Not exactly apples to apples. Thirdly, I've known people who were in the direct line of wind from smoking areas, and unless they themselves were smokers, they hated sitting there.

I never said it can't be implemented in any sports situation ever, only that I think you'd lose more people than you'd gain, when the only factor being discussed is allowing smoking and how that affects attendance.

Quite frankly, I don't think it moves the needle much either way, but being smoke-free is definitely more family-friendly, which is something I've seen the UA move towards.
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

jimson

Post by jimson »

PieceOfMeat wrote:
jimson wrote:
Bullsh!!t They have had smoking areas for years up until this year and it's been fine.

This is not about how much certain assholes hate smokers. You probably affect a fake cough when someone lights up across the street LOL.

It's all about including as many people as possible and outdoor smoking in certain areas is reasonable.
Why would it be bullshit? P.s., you can type out bad words on this site. In case you haven't noticed, the tide has turned towards the acceptability of ruining other people's lungs and health. The entire campus is smoke free, or at least it is in theory, so why should the stadium be exempt from the same policy that the rest of the university must adhere to? You think it wouldn't be the policy if more people didn't dislike breathing in the shit than people enjoyed spreading cancer?

Typical. If someone is coughing, the smoker thinks it must be fake. Sad, really. Then again, as I said already, asshole smokers don't think their shit affects more than the 2 feet around them. Let me guess, you're one of those people who purposely stands upwind of the only entrance to a store, when you could have just as easily walked the same distance from the door downwind. Yeah, I bet you are.

Oh, and it isn't about "including as many people as possible" as you state, it's about including smoking areas which you want. Just be true to your goal, which is to get your smoking area back. It's ok to say you want something back for selfish reasons.
It's bullshit, because no one was staying home from the games because there were outdoor smoking areas there. There should be exceptions for people who pay to come on campus for an event.

If some intolerant asshole is coughing from the sight of someone smoking when they couldn't possibly even smell it as I described, it would be fake.

I'm only talking about areas where people can go out for a smoke at halftime
I'm not talking about smoking areas in the stands which they haven't had for years so I think you are lying about the people who "hated sitting there."

Outdoor smoking areas is adequate protection for the lungs of all but the biggest asshole non-smokers.

By the way, I don't smoke outside of stores like you described because I am a non-smoker. I'm just not an asshole about it.

The subject was about the game atmosphere and what may be keeping some people from going to games. Smoking was only one thing I mentioned but I knew there would be a hater like you who would do this. There always is. LOL
Last edited by jimson on Wed Sep 17, 2014 9:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

jimson wrote:
PieceOfMeat wrote:
jimson wrote:
Bullsh!!t They have had smoking areas for years up until this year and it's been fine.

This is not about how much certain assholes hate smokers. You probably affect a fake cough when someone lights up across the street LOL.

It's all about including as many people as possible and outdoor smoking in certain areas is reasonable.
Why would it be bullshit? P.s., you can type out bad words on this site. In case you haven't noticed, the tide has turned towards the acceptability of ruining other people's lungs and health. The entire campus is smoke free, or at least it is in theory, so why should the stadium be exempt from the same policy that the rest of the university must adhere to? You think it wouldn't be the policy if more people didn't dislike breathing in the shit than people enjoyed spreading cancer?

Typical. If someone is coughing, the smoker thinks it must be fake. Sad, really. Then again, as I said already, asshole smokers don't think their shit affects more than the 2 feet around them. Let me guess, you're one of those people who purposely stands upwind of the only entrance to a store, when you could have just as easily walked the same distance from the door downwind. Yeah, I bet you are.

Oh, and it isn't about "including as many people as possible" as you state, it's about including smoking areas which you want. Just be true to your goal, which is to get your smoking area back. It's ok to say you want something back for selfish reasons.
It's bullshit, because no one was staying home from the games because there were outdoor smoking areas there. There should be exceptions for people who pay to come on campus for an event.

If some intolerant asshole is coughing from the sight of someone smoking when they couldn't possibly even smell it as I described, it would be fake.

Outdoor smoking areas is adequate protection for the lungs of all but the biggest asshole non-smokers.

By the way I don't smoke outside of stores like you described because I am a non-smoker. I'm just not an asshole about it.
Suuuure you are. That's why you made your first asshole comment accusing me of being someone who would fake a cough. Instead of someone who would only cough if the wind brought your shitty cancer causing smoke to my lungs which, due to health issues, don't particularly react well to smoke.

Ok there buddy, that sounds likely. You're just a non smoker who ardently wants smoking areas back in the stadium and hates non smokers and accuses them of being fakes.

Suuuuuuuuure. Yeah, that's believable.

Oh, and the simple fact you said "outdoor smoking areas is adequate protection" shows you're a moron who has no idea how smoke carries on the wind. Like I said, I bet you're the guy who walks upwind when "forced" to smoke outside, just to make sure your delicious cancer affects other people, instead of downwind like a non-asshole would do.

However, possibly my favorite, most favorite, asshole statement you just made that proves you're a smoker: "There should be exceptions for people who pay to come on campus for an event."

Oh, so people who pay for any event on campus should have an exception. Doesn't that describe nearly EVERY SINGLE PERSON ON CAMPUS? They're all there for one event or another, just depends on what you want to term a worthy event. How about someone attending a symposium? They paid for parking after all, and possibly other things while on campus, they should be able to just light right up regardless of the entire campus policy!

P.s., I sincerely doubt you have any hard data that suggest one way or another how this policy affects ticket sales vs the previous policy. But let's not let facts get in the way of smoking.

What idiocy. Have fun with your cancer moron, I won't be bothering with your idiocy any longer. I love ignore lists.
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

jimson

Post by jimson »

PieceOfMeat wrote:
I won't be bothering with your idiocy any longer.
Yes you will.

You see, I am a non smoker, but I used to smoke so I understand and don't hate smokers. I have smoking friends and family who think it's ridiculous that they can't smoke outside. They likely won't be going to games anymore.

The fact is that you are an intolerant, holier than thou jerk.
Proof is that you think all smokers are assholes.

I don't think all non- smokers are assholes but you sure as hell are.

And just maybe I have some sympathy for smokers because the tide has turned to where some jerk actually thinks it is appropriate that his first reply in a discussion contains this:

"Some people do still smoke, obviously, but they're assholes for doing it, and I always hope they'll get kicked out for being assholes." but somehow thinks others are the assholes?

Cheers
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

:?
AZCatGirl

Post by AZCatGirl »

I don't get why Byrne likes this so much. It sounds more like they're taunting the team.
“The reality is that the hardest games to win are over teams on their home court. Teams that don’t play those games can spin it however they want, but what they’re saying is, ‘We don’t want to lose in our non conference season.’" - Sean Miller
ANGCatFan

Post by ANGCatFan »

btfd16

Post by btfd16 »

jimson wrote:
They likely won't be going to games anymore.

Not trying to start an argument I am on neither side. I have friends who smoke and I don't mind it outside. With that being said people really are not going to go to a game because they can't smoke for three hours? I think that's kind of lame to skip a game entirely for that reason.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

So the sway essentially just is a aTm ripoff.

We should start a tradition of playing insulting entrance music for opposing teams and coaches.

ASU--any boy band song
USC--either Money or something by Das Racist.
WSU--Trapped in the Closet

I'm sure we could figure more out.
Salty

Post by Salty »

I thought Penn State did the sway first
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Create a re entry policy and every one would be happy. Let's face it, they have taken the fun out of being at the football game away.

Right or wrong, people want to drink, get drunk, smoke and basically party. Just sitting on your ass for 3+ hours is not much fun and you can do it at your house more comfortably.

In fact, that's what people are doing. They need to make it fun to come back to AZ stadium and watch
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
Machina

Post by Machina »

Salty wrote:I thought Penn State did the sway first
Texas A&M
gumby

Post by gumby »

splitsecond wrote:Some of you complainers talking about music and crowd videos and the whole first down thing have clearly never been to an NFL game.

Only thing I take issue with is giving cred to this "zona" bullshit. we are Arizona, not zona, and never will be.
I've been to an NFL game. How does that make it less annoying that it happens there, too? Been to NBA games. So we should incorporate more Hammond organ and canned "DEE-FENSE" chants?
Right where I want to be.
jimson

Post by jimson »

btfd16 wrote:
jimson wrote:
They likely won't be going to games anymore.

Not trying to start an argument I am on neither side. I have friends who smoke and I don't mind it outside. With that being said people really are not going to go to a game because they can't smoke for three hours? I think that's kind of lame to skip a game entirely for that reason.
You ever worked with any smokers? Then you would know they are only going to wait until lunch to smoke if they absolutely have to. During their leisure and entertainment time they want to wait even less.

There are some who will abstain for more like 4 hours for a game but some won't. It pisses off some smokers who think it's ridiculous that they can't smoke out doors and some will say "screw you then if you don't want my money." It's just one more reason to stay home and watch it on the big screen TV.

Honestly, if you have never been a smoker, you can't begin to understand how ingrained smoking is in people's leisure time, especially in a party atmosphere as azcat49 describes above.

If I still smoked I might still go to the games and try to sneak a smoke at halftime like I saw others doing.

I'm not trying to say what's right or wrong just looking at all things that might keep casual fans from attending games.
splitsecond

Post by splitsecond »

PieceOfMeat wrote:
splitsecond wrote: Works fine at every professional sports venue in the state. U of P has two outside patios and allows it in the ramp area. Nothing gets in. Same with the Chase field and whatever the hell the suns arena will be called now. Just need a place people can walk out and walk back in that's roped off.
First, you don't think the atmosphere, and people attending, are different at a college game than at a pro game? I do. Perhaps I'm incorrect on that, but I'm basing it off experience. Maybe it's changed?
The atmosphere and crowd is definitely different. But there are good things about both experiences that can be utilized. As much as I love our supportive alumni and supportive older locals, there is a lot to be said for increasing the volume of the stadium and fan interaction to continue to attract new fans and more fans who may otherwise simply watch on TV in a bar or at home. While I appreciate the tradition of the band, I think that appeals more to the older, "sit down!" crowd as it is something directly from their time period. Mixing in other sorts of entertainment, videos , music and interaction is going to help draw in the newer crowd.. You need to give the a reason to not stay home with their technology. That being said, I think the traditional element of the college experience need to stay intact.

I do think that the college experience - not just at Arizona - could be benefitted by learning and incorporating some of the NFL game day elements. U of P, in one of the most fickle sports towns in the country, gets incredibly loud and exciting when needed. That should be a goal of any team in any football league or conference. It's a game changer.
Second, you're comparing two indoor facilities to AZ's open stadium? Not exactly apples to apples. Thirdly, I've known people who were in the direct line of wind from smoking areas, and unless they themselves were smokers, they hated sitting there.

I never said it can't be implemented in any sports situation ever, only that I think you'd lose more people than you'd gain, when the only factor being discussed is allowing smoking and how that affects attendance.

Quite frankly, I don't think it moves the needle much either way, but being smoke-free is definitely more family-friendly, which is something I've seen the UA move towards.
I could see it going either way. It could be remedied by eliminating the "no re-entry" policy, or modifying it to a "if you come back drunk you won't be allowed back in" or something of the sort.

As far as the "family" atmosphere, I am not sure that I necessarily true. I think the price point of NFL games keeps people from bringing their kids more than anything. During preseason theres as many, if not more than, the proportion of kids I have typically seen at a U of A game. The no booze factor probable effects some, but booze sure doesn't keep parents from bringing kids to NFL preseason games. First game this year I had probably 1/3 young kids in my section. First regular season game, that went down drastically.