2017 recruits/commitment thread

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

3goggles

Re: 2017 recruits/commitment thread

Post by 3goggles »

I feel much about these recruits then I have in the past but we have loading on middle to low 3 stars. Missing out on blades hurt a bit with the heavy weight recruits.
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

Newportcat wrote:Looks to have Great size and good hands but his other measurables are pretty poor for a WR and surprised you like him Chief

4.89 40 and 4.43 20 Yard Shuttle are really poor for a WR

68 Sparq Rating is our lowest in a while

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/footb ... en-jackson

His main recruiting video on HUDL is also just ok and his offer list was only ok too.

You can't coach Size but seems like an average commit. Has upside with his size and will be interesting to see how he does this Fall at his new school.
First of all. He doesn't run a 4.89. I rely on my eyes and info. Coaches at Alemany and people who have watched him, rave about him. He has been under the radar because he has played at a subpar HS. Wait till this season and catch an Alemany game.
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

So ESPN Recruiting and the Nike Camps were lying about his 40 time???

I also think its a stretch to say Redondo Union who made it to the Finals of their CIF Division last year is a sub par high school. Is it Long Beach Poly, no but he played against teams like Mission Viejo, Mira Costa, Calabasas, North Torrance, etc. Is Alemany a better program yes and will be interesting to see how he does there.

Chief I have been one of your few defenders here but your Bullsh*t is sometimes hard to take. I am glad you are hearing people rave about him and lets pray there was something wrong with the timer during his 40 time
2004 First Team All American Football Poster as voted on by GOAZCATS
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

3goggles wrote:I feel much about these recruits then I have in the past but we have loading on middle to low 3 stars. Missing out on blades hurt a bit with the heavy weight recruits.
I tend to agree as I think the class is an improvement over 2015 and 2016 but not exactly the top level recruits we need to take the program to the next level especially up front along the OL and DL. Until we start bringing in real DL talent, I am just nervous that our defense will continue to suck.

What I do not understand is Rich Rod saying every year we are going to wait to take commits and then our class is finished by July.

However if I learned anything from following football recruiting, you can only judge a class in February as the class right now is all make believe given the amount of decommits that usually happen.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Newportcat wrote:So ESPN Recruiting and the Nike Camps were lying about his 40 time???
It's ESPN recruiting. I'm not saying they're wrong in this particular incident, but god dammit their recruiting work and info is just awful. What were the dates of those Nike camps?
catinfl

Post by catinfl »

Don't you know chiefs eyes are actually laser tested and more accurate than laser timed 40's
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

Newportcat wrote:So ESPN Recruiting and the Nike Camps were lying about his 40 time???

I also think its a stretch to say Redondo Union who made it to the Finals of their CIF Division last year is a sub par high school. Is it Long Beach Poly, no but he played against teams like Mission Viejo, Mira Costa, Calabasas, North Torrance, etc. Is Alemany a better program yes and will be interesting to see how he does there.

Chief I have been one of your few defenders here but your Bullsh*t is sometimes hard to take. I am glad you are hearing people rave about him and lets pray there was something wrong with the timer during his 40 time

ESPN always lies. Haha. All I know is that he's faster than that 40 time. Redondo Union is no powerhouse nor a heavily recruited HS. Alemany is a powerhouse and heavily recruited. Redondo Union's coaching staff doesn't come close to Alemany's. Jackson's move to Alemany is a smart one and will probably put him higher on the radar. We shall see this season how he responds. I personally believe this is a good get.
BibbysTowelDude

Post by BibbysTowelDude »

I think at worst you have a David Richards clone, and that's not too damn shabby.
BearDown89

Post by BearDown89 »

BibbysTowelDude wrote:I think at worst you have a David Richards clone, and that's not too damn shabby.
BTD sighting! Was just wondering as to your whereabouts yesterday for no particular reason. Then boom, here you are. Wierd how that shit is.
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

BibbysTowelDude wrote:I think at worst you have a David Richards clone, and that's not too damn shabby.
Little bit of a stretch given David Richards was a pretty strong WR and this guy looks rail thin and candidly Richards was a very average WR who had 1 decent year but was not all conference, was not drafted, and was a very forgettable player like most of our players tend to be.

We need game changing players if we ever want to step up and be a Top 25 type program. Guys like Joseph Lewis who is 6'2 207 lbs and ran the 20 yard shuttle under 4 seconds at roughly 17 years of age. That's CRAZY

I think ESPN recruiting is subpar but I do love how they post the results from NIKE camps so you can see where guys tested at. I never trust what a recruit says his 40 time is. Not sure when Warren Jackson's testing was done but watch his highlights and you can see he does not have great speed. He has great height but was having trouble outrunning high school DB's. Also is skinny as a rail.

I am not saying Warren Jackson will suck, he could be legit but based on his offer lists and his measurables just tough to get that excited. A sparq at 68 is not good. Debate me on that Chief.

While Scooby was not highly recruited, his Sparq was over 100 so you could tell the guy was athletic. Same with a guy in this class like Joshua Brown. Look at his testing results below and makes me excited for him.

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/footb ... shua-brown

Guy is faster then Warren Jackson and has about 60 LBS on him. Sparq at 94 so while he does not have a ton of major offers at least you know he is a good athlete. One guy in the 2015 class I was hearing a lot of positive things about before his bad knee injury this spring was Brion Anduze. Check out his testing results, very strong for a 6'4 235 lbs guy and I remember bringing this up that even though he was under-recruited he at least was a strong athlete.

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/footb ... ion-anduze

Or look at Greg Johnson our best recruit in some time, off the charts SPARQ at way over 100

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/footb ... eg-johnson

Much more goes into a football player then testing results for sure, but if you start from an athletic base, you at least have potential. Could a guy be a dipsh*t once he gets on campus, of course he could. Could guys get bigger, stronger, and faster yes too. But go look at the top classes every year and check out the Sparq scores for there players and you will see across the board very high scores.
the real dill

Post by the real dill »

Storyline: Coach Rich Rodriguez continues to build something in the desert.

Arizona has the seventh-best recruiting class in the country, the Wildcats are No. 1 in the Pac-12 and there is a good chance Rodriguez’s club could finish with some big-time names to round out the group.

Leading the way are three four-star prospects in quarterback Braxton Burmeister and athletes Nathan Tilford and Greg Johnson. The Wildcats were on a tear in June with 10 commitments and they have seven more pledges than any other team in the conference.

Arizona’s average star ranking is not the best in the Pac-12, so as other classes load up the Wildcats could slip down the rankings, but things are looking good. That coaching staff deserves a lot of credit for landing top prospects and players who fit the system.

First take: "The new staff members have helped, but in my opinion it has been a change in mentality and focus from the top down. Not that recruiting hasn't been important for Arizona so far in Rich Rodriguez's tenure at the school, but now it is at the forefront of everything the program is doing. Throw into that the work that Arizona's staff has been putting into recruits like Johnson, Tilford and Burmeister, and you have the result you are seeing right now. Receivers coach Tony Dews has been making sure Arizona is in a good position with the recruits at Augustus Hawkins for years. Football staffer Miguel Reveles has a long-standing relationship with Tilford. And quarterbacks coach Rod Smith was one of the first to offer Burmeister. A new sense of aggressiveness and effort by the staff is making the difference from those prospects just having interest and maybe visiting to now visiting and committing.

“Adding a coach like Donté Williams has no doubt helped the Wildcats to close on recruits, but it is the overall shift in mentality as a program that has brought the change for the program. It started with Rich Rodriguez knowing things needed to be different after last season and it has trickled down to the entire program as a whole." – Matt Moreno, GoAZCats.com

Second take: “Rich Rodriguez recruits more for fit than he does for stars. That Arizona is on the top of the Pac-12 indicates he’s getting kids that were coveted by other places and kids who clearly fit his system, because he wouldn’t take them otherwise. I don’t see them staying on top, but it’s a good start for them and there are very few coaches in the country who recruit better to his team offensively and defensively than Rodriguez.” - Farrell

https://n.rivals.com/news/take-two-texa ... ng-success" target="_blank
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Cody Shear popped earlier than expected and committed to us.
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

Seems like a average to good commit, had to beat out Oregon State and Washington State for him so he had other PAC 12 offers and had offers from Georgia Tech, BYU, and Virginia. We have done better at OL recruiting past couple years but man wish we would step up the DL recruiting.
CatsbyAZ

Post by CatsbyAZ »

Newportcat wrote:Seems like a average to good commit, had to beat out Oregon State and Washington State for him so he had other PAC 12 offers and had offers from Georgia Tech, BYU, and Virginia. We have done better at OL recruiting past couple years but man wish we would step up the DL recruiting.
Completely agree on every count. Very pleased with the RichRod OL recruiting once the bodies get to the field. DL recruiting shaky at best. Wish we could land two-fer DL that could play OL if they don't size up on the DL. Lot's of program try this but get bottle necked by how difficult it is to recruit and develop DL.

Welcome Cody.
“The force behind the movement of time is a mourning that will not be comforted.” author Marilynne Robinson
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Rhedi Short next and I still think we flip Blades.
Last edited by azcat49 on Sun Jul 03, 2016 12:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

Got Rhedi.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

chiefzona wrote:Got Rhedi.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

Donte's inferno keeps burning.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Up to 21 commitments. Are we going for 25 or 30?
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Will be a big class, +25 IMO. I wonder why Short has dropped some in the rankings. Used to be a top 600 kid and now he is barely in the top 800
catinfl

Post by catinfl »

Chicat wrote:Up to 21 commitments. Are we going for 25 or 30?
I think we will get to 25 and if guys like joseph Lewis say they want to be wildcats the number goes up. Can't deny the talent, but might as well secure other guys first.
catinfl

Post by catinfl »

azcat49 wrote:Will be a big class, +25 IMO. I wonder why Short has dropped some in the rankings. Used to be a top 600 kid and now he is barely in the top 800
he decommitted from UCLA automatic -200 in the rankings
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

Short's stock will rise with the recruiting drones once the season starts.
TuiTouchdown

Post by TuiTouchdown »

If all of our commits stay on until signing day, where do you guys think this class ranks for us all-time?
3goggles

Post by 3goggles »

I'm liking the majority of the class I wouldn't cutting some of the fat off the bottoms to add a few more studs. How many more 4* kids do we land? I think blades and Judson
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

azcat49 wrote:Will be a big class, +25 IMO. I wonder why Short has dropped some in the rankings. Used to be a top 600 kid and now he is barely in the top 800
He might end up in the 400s or so. Ucla was surprised when he committed when he did as he didn't have a commitable offer. I know Chief likes him a lot though
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

How does a kid committ when he doesn't have a commitable offer? Maybe just to look good? I assume UCLA had to tell him they wouldn't accept his commitment and thus the "decommitt"

As for who like him, the only one that matters is the guy who puts his 3m annual salary on the line
CatsbyAZ

Post by CatsbyAZ »

Welcome Rhedi! With Shear that's two very worthwhile, athletic pickups landed over the past weekend. Welcome guys!

3goggles wrote:I'm liking the majority of the class I wouldn't cutting some of the fat off the bottoms to add a few more studs. How many more 4* kids do we land? I think blades and Judson

Agree - certainly do not need nearly as many DBs as committed (unless we plan to move Bell to OLB), especially with Short on board and still working on Blades.
“The force behind the movement of time is a mourning that will not be comforted.” author Marilynne Robinson
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

Short is a great pick up and the EXACT type of recruits we need and why we hired Donte.

High level 3 star player
Very strong offers from schools across the country including Oregon, Penn State, UCLA, CAL etc
From Los Angeles

When I look at this class, this is the type of player I was hoping we would land. To ever make a move to being a TOP 25 program, we need to bring in more 4 star players and be highly focused on high level 3 star players. Love the fact our staff has been focused on the West Coast in this class and specifically SoCal.

If this class holds to what I think it will by February it will be right up there with our 2006 class and 2014 class as the highest ranked classes in our programs history.

This all being said, where are the DLineman. This will all mean nothing if we do not bring in some strong DL as we are in desperate need of talent there. Remember the 2006 class had 4 DL eventually get drafted EMFM, Ellmore, and the REEDs. Donte has proven to be a stud recruiter, now lets see if Vince Amey can step up. Kurtis Brown looks like a decent DT recruit but Elijiah Watson seems very underwhelming. I know we are on some more guys but for this class to be special, we need to bring in some more size and skill to the DL.
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

Looking at Scout it appears that we are not in the running on many big DT's. The bulk of the large DL's we are recruiting are JC's. One of them has an offer from Alabama so I am not too confident of our chances with him.

http://www.scout.com/junior-college-foo ... f%20Tackle" target="_blank
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Newportcat wrote:
This all being said, where are the DLineman. This will all mean nothing if we do not bring in some strong DL as we are in desperate need of talent there. Remember the 2006 class had 4 DL eventually get drafted EMFM, Ellmore, and the REEDs. Donte has proven to be a stud recruiter, now lets see if Vince Amey can step up. Kurtis Brown looks like a decent DT recruit but Elijiah Watson seems very underwhelming. I know we are on some more guys but for this class to be special, we need to bring in some more size and skill to the DL.
Brooks and EMFM were recruited as fullbacks. I'm sure you were bitching about them back then and singing their praises now.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
UALoco

Post by UALoco »

I can't image any coach but Nick Saban or Urban Meyer pulling a better recruiting class together. If there is, they probably wouldn't come to AZ. I'm very happy with this class and I feel it will get better.
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

UAEebs86 wrote:
Newportcat wrote:
Brooks and EMFM were recruited as fullbacks. I'm sure you were bitching about them back then and singing their praises now.
I never bitched about EMFM or Brooks as both were stud athletes especially Brooks. His Sparq score was off the charts, like 6'3, 220 LBS with a crazy 40 time and remember thinking he was a great athlete who we could mould into multiple positions. EMFM was the same in terms of being a big strong player with good speed who you felt could play multiple positions.

Actually found what I wrote about both players when I used to do Recruiting wrap ups for GOAZCATS, I gave them both like 12 stars...I was a little aggresive I guess
Earl Mitchell ****************– A Combination RB/FB/HB/DE, Can lift small trucks with only his thighs
Brooks Reed *****************– Voted "Most likely to succeed at ruining the career of any Sun Devil player who got in his way" at Sabino High….also voted "Best Dressed"
Do you see me bitching ever about our basketball recruits, no and why, because we bring in studs. Now some of those studs do not end up being as good as we think which happens. But football recruiting has traditionally been the exact opposite situation around here. Especially along the DL. Football is a game won in the trenches still in my opinion and to be satisfied with our DL recruiting recently is really stupid.
Last edited by Newportcat on Tue Jul 05, 2016 1:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

UALoco wrote:I can't image any coach but Nick Saban or Urban Meyer pulling a better recruiting class together. If there is, they probably wouldn't come to AZ. I'm very happy with this class and I feel it will get better.
Seriously? We've so far got three four stars and no fives among 21 players signed. Let's take a look at who has more:
tOSU, Bama, OU, Michigan, LSU, Georgia, aTm, ND, Clemson, FSU, Miami, UNC, Auburn, Florida, Nebraska, Maryland, Washington, and PSU. Most of those teams have signed 10-15 players only, so their average star rating is significantly higher than ours. I mean if you want to crow about signing a lot of 3* kids early, then that's great, but come on. In the world of CFB recruiting this is not an exciting or exceptional class. We might like it because it appears good for UA standards, or we might like it because we believe we've gotten a lot of OKG's, and I'm arguing against neither. But there are a lot of coaches out there capable of putting 'better' recruiting classes together.

EDIT: Our average rating at 247 is 0.85. That's a sliver better than what it normally has been over the past few years (0.83ish). For comparison, ASU's 2016 class is 0.87, and they're ranked 26th. So you can probably expect this class to be ranked somewhere between 25 and 35 when it all shakes out.
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
UALoco

Post by UALoco »

Puerco wrote:
UALoco wrote:I can't image any coach but Nick Saban or Urban Meyer pulling a better recruiting class together. If there is, they probably wouldn't come to AZ. I'm very happy with this class and I feel it will get better.
Seriously? We've so far got three four stars and no fives among 21 players signed. Let's take a look at who has more:
tOSU, Bama, OU, Michigan, LSU, Georgia, aTm, ND, Clemson, FSU, Miami, UNC, Auburn, Florida, Nebraska, Maryland, Washington, and PSU. Most of those teams have signed 10-15 players only, so their average star rating is significantly higher than ours. I mean if you want to crow about signing a lot of 3* kids early, then that's great, but come on. In the world of CFB recruiting this is not an exciting or exceptional class. We might like it because it appears good for UA standards, or we might like it because we believe we've gotten a lot of OKG's, and I'm arguing against neither. But there are a lot of coaches out there capable of putting 'better' recruiting classes together.

EDIT: Our average rating at 247 is 0.85. That's a sliver better than what it normally has been over the past few years (0.83ish). For comparison, ASU's 2016 class is 0.87, and they're ranked 26th. So you can probably expect this class to be ranked somewhere between 25 and 35 when it all shakes out.
Breaking news:
We aren't OSU, We aren't Bama, etc. The only team's there we should be competing with is Maryland and Washington. Most of those teams there have natty's. Look, ASU and UA can't even get kids from AZ to come to AZ. Those are all big-time national programs. Get real.
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

Completely agree with Puerco here (Hell has frozen over), this is a good class but many many coaches could do as good or better that are not named Saban or Meyer.
qwertyus

Post by qwertyus »

This class isn't spectacular. It's "good" so far, but we'll need to land a few more big-time kids before I start getting excited. If we end up in the Top 25-30 at the end, I'll be happy. Otherwise we'll be looking at another high-30's to mid-40's class, and that's not going to get it done in the PAC.
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

qwertyus wrote:This class isn't spectacular. It's "good" so far, but we'll need to land a few more big-time kids before I start getting excited. If we end up in the Top 25-30 at the end, I'll be happy. Otherwise we'll be looking at another high-30's to mid-40's class, and that's not going to get it done in the PAC.

How does one know this class isn't spectacular?
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

chiefzona wrote:
qwertyus wrote:This class isn't spectacular. It's "good" so far, but we'll need to land a few more big-time kids before I start getting excited. If we end up in the Top 25-30 at the end, I'll be happy. Otherwise we'll be looking at another high-30's to mid-40's class, and that's not going to get it done in the PAC.

At this point, this class is not spectacular. Its good for Arizona and appears better then 2015 and 2016 which were both down recruiting classes. However, no way you could call this class Spectacular at this point given the average star rating of our guys. Spectacular is Alabama's recruiting class, its just stupid.

Look at this 6'6 WR they have from Texas, his stats are not fair. 6'6 202 LBS and runs a 4.38 40 with a 36 Inch Vert and is very strong too...just not fair

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/footb ... ll-shavers

Or Najee Harris, I swear they get the #1 RB every single year

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/footb ... jee-harris
Scummy Dick Douglas

Post by Scummy Dick Douglas »

chiefzona wrote:

How does one know Edgar Burrola sucks?
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

Scummy Dick Douglas wrote:
chiefzona wrote:

He doesn't suck. He would make a great walk on.
UALoco

Post by UALoco »

Still waiting to hear the names of coaches that
1) could recruit a better class to Arizona
2) would come to Arizona.

Can't wait to hear all the goodness from our armchair AD's.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Impossible question to answer Loco. I never thought RR Would come here but he did. I will take a stab though at your question.

Art Briles. Tarnished rep, needs a job and could attract top line guys because of his offense. We would never offer him or want him but that was not in your question criteria.

As for EB, he would never have walked on as Louisville offered him and he would have simply taken that scholly.
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

UALoco wrote:Still waiting to hear the names of coaches that
1) could recruit a better class to Arizona
2) would come to Arizona.

Can't wait to hear all the goodness from our armchair AD's.
I never argued with the 'wouldn't come to Arizona bit. I argued with the
I can't image any coach but Nick Saban or Urban Meyer pulling a better recruiting class together.
part.

But if you want to argue about whether someone could do similarly at UA, then I'll just point you to our old friend Mike Stoops, who recruited the 30th-ish ranked class back in 2008. Let's see where the chips fall this year, but unless we get all four- and five star recruits with the remaining spots, that's about where we're headed.

Or you can just admit that your Saban-Meyer idea was a bit silly and we'll all come back to reality.

EDIT: Look, IMO if in their first year on the job, the new asst coaches can pull in a 30th ranked class (compared to Rodriguez's typical 50-75), then we should all be ecstatic, because there's every reason to believe they should be able to improve on that in the coming years. I'm not being negative here, but I couldn't let the Meyers-Saban thing pass by.
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
UALoco

Post by UALoco »

both criteria was kind of the point..
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

azcat49 wrote:Impossible question to answer Loco. I never thought RR Would come here but he did. I will take a stab though at your question.

Art Briles. Tarnished rep, needs a job and could attract top line guys because of his offense. We would never offer him or want him but that was not in your question criteria.

As for EB, he would never have walked on as Louisville offered him and he would have simply taken that scholly.

Azcat49.....as for the latter....that would have been a good thing IMO.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Time will tell Chief. You never know how he might develope and maybe he never even signs here.
Last edited by azcat49 on Wed Jul 06, 2016 8:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
catinfl

Post by catinfl »

chiefzona wrote:
chiefzona wrote:

Have you ever seen him in person or do you just make assumptions based on tape? I guess his Louisville offer is another headscratcher huh?
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

catinfl wrote:
chiefzona wrote:
chiefzona wrote:

Have you ever seen him in person or do you just make assumptions based on tape? I guess his Louisville offer is another headscratcher huh?
I've never seen him in person and I never make assumptions. Or at least I try not to. Louisville offering him does nothing to change how I feel or what I saw. I love his size. He needs a ton of work. Obviously, staff is committed to that work because of his size. Good luck to staff and to him.