Fired Casteel

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

gronk4heisman

Re: Fired Casteel

Post by gronk4heisman »

Couple of points, first point. The Timing to me does not seem that far out there, he let Lockwood go earlier in order to put a familiar bridge in place for the recruits in order to limit the damage. To me the timing said....this is my good friend of many years, I am not going to fire him during the holidays. This can wait till after the holiday break.
Second point. How important is the timing right now considering it is a dead period and anyone we hire would not be able to recruit regardless?
RazorsEdgeAZ

Post by RazorsEdgeAZ »

It may turn out new coaches have AZ ties like ones listed, but I'm not really excited about that. I think we need to think bigger. More vast. Not a slight to Hunley, Lewis or Cecil etc (Briggs slightly different because he's just recently retired. Some recruits may know his name)

I say that mainly for recruiting. Look, teenage recruits are so removed from those guys. They're Legends to us but not likely to teenage recruits. Winning the AZ recruits battle will always be difficult. Kids playing HS ball in AZ grow up to learn their favorite teams either by where they grow up or some family or friend relationship tree. Why ASU has the advantage. Most top AZ players are in PHX. And why many top AZ recruits leave AZ because of the perceived better opportunity to go to a National CFB brand school. Keeping them in State in volume will always be tough.

California recruits even tougher. Where they grow up, family ties etc. I'm talking about giving AZ a shot to grab a slight percentage more Top in a State type of recruit with a top DC hire. Can't afford the most highly paid, but I'm not certain there are some out there that are not being mentioned.

Many of the top AZ HS recruits AZ landed are because they have family ties to AZ or from Southern AZ. Still most top AZ recruits leave the State to an TAMU, TX, OK, MICH etc. That's not going to change.

Casteel was paid top money for P12. I Just don't know whether a RR type personality can really hire another national name brand DC or wants to for control purposes. I hope he can. Michigan different because Michigan. But UM apparently screwed that up. Greg Robinson was an NFL DC before UM.Some national ID, but UM only paid Robinson $270K in 2010. Texas paid Robinson $250K in 2013. Robinson was also 60.

Casteel made $670K last season... There were only 32 other FBS assistants that made more than Casteel last year. And not all of those were DC's

Getting a name brand DC will be tough because I assume there are already promises to some of the existing defensive coaching staff to stay on board. But I'm not real excited about limiting the hiring pool to those with AZ ties only. I'd like to think broader...
Last edited by RazorsEdgeAZ on Wed Jan 06, 2016 10:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
azpenguin

Post by azpenguin »

Chicat wrote:Yeah, but I feel like the name would be out there. Like when we hired the last assistant for the basketball team. From what I've seen on premium, no one is a done deal as of yet . . . which is worrisome.
Wait until RR comes back from San Antonio. I would figure that's where he's talking a lot of turkey.
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

gronk4heisman wrote:Couple of points, first point. The Timing to me does not seem that far out there, he let Lockwood go earlier in order to put a familiar bridge in place for the recruits in order to limit the damage. To me the timing said....this is my good friend of many years, I am not going to fire him during the holidays. This can wait till after the holiday break.
Second point. How important is the timing right now considering it is a dead period and anyone we hire would not be able to recruit regardless?
My understanding is that the role Addae had filled for the last 3 years was one in which he could not recruit. If that is correct, he is not a familiar bridge to existing recruits.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

I agree with Razorsedge. Ties to Arizona is a factor that should not be given importance in the process. We need competence, affordability and retainability. That's basically it.
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

RazorsEdgeAZ wrote:It may turn out new coaches have AZ ties like ones listed, but I'm not really excited about that. I think we need to think bigger. More vast. Not a slight to Hunley, Lewis or Cecil etc (Briggs slightly different because he's just recently retired. Some recruits may know his name)

I say that mainly for recruiting. Look, teenage recruits are so removed from those guys. They're Legends to us but not likely to teenage recruits. Winning the AZ recruits battle will always be difficult. Kids playing HS ball in AZ grow up to learn their favorite teams either by where they grow up or some family or friend relationship tree. Why ASU has the advantage. Most top AZ players are in PHX. And why many top AZ recruits leave AZ because of the perceived better opportunity to go to a National CFB brand school. Keeping them in State in volume will always be tough.

California recruits even tougher. Where they grow up, family ties etc. I'm talking about giving AZ a shot to grab a slight percentage more Top in a State type of recruit with a top DC hire. Can't afford the most highly paid, but I'm not certain there are some out there that are not being mentioned.

Many of the top AZ HS recruits AZ landed are because they have family ties to AZ or from Southern AZ. Still most top AZ recruits leave the State to an TAMU, TX, OK, MICH etc. That's not going to change.

Casteel was paid top money for P12. I Just don't know whether a RR type personality can really hire another national name brand DC or wants to for control purposes. I hope he can. Michigan different because Michigan. But UM apparently screwed that up. Greg Robinson was an NFL DC before UM.Some national ID, but UM only paid Robinson $270K in 2010. Texas paid Robinson $250K in 2013. Robinson was also 60.

Casteel made $670K last season...

Getting a name brand DC will be tough because I assume there are already promises to some of the existing defensive coaching staff to stay on board. But I'm not real excited about limiting the hiring pool to those with AZ ties only. I'd like to think broader...
I completely agree with the general premise of your post above, expect for the part in bold.

This year it appears that it is starting to change, just not in our favor. With the problems at aTm, it seems like there is a good chance that Byron Murphy ends up in Tempe - which would give ASU 3 of the top 4 recruits in the state (and they all had elite interest). They apparently still have a shot at Connor Murphy, too, which would give them a clean sweep - although Ido not expect that to happen.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Need to go young that's for sure IMO
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
gronk4heisman

Post by gronk4heisman »

Harvey Specter wrote:
gronk4heisman wrote:Couple of points, first point. The Timing to me does not seem that far out there, he let Lockwood go earlier in order to put a familiar bridge in place for the recruits in order to limit the damage. To me the timing said....this is my good friend of many years, I am not going to fire him during the holidays. This can wait till after the holiday break.
My understanding is that the role Addae had filled for the last 3 years was one in which he could not recruit. If that is correct, he is not a familiar bridge to existing recruits.
I guess we understand it different, my understanding was that he just could not go out on the recruiting trail. I was under the impression that any of our recruits who have been on campus are very familiar with Addae.
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

gronk4heisman wrote:
Harvey Specter wrote:
I guess we understand it different, my understanding was that he just could not go out on the recruiting trail. I was under the impression that any of our recruits who have been on campus are very familiar with Addae.
Maybe that is true... in which case he would be Matty D's sidekick to keep this class together with duct tape until the new staff can get on board.

I hope it works.