2017 Arizona Wildcats Football Team.

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Merkin

Re: 2017 Arizona Wildcats Football Team.

Post by Merkin »

PHXCATS wrote: Maybe you have different motions and movements and use different muscles in football compared to baseball?
Hernia, concussion, shoulder, stomach, Achilles, and several bouts with substance abuse: http://www.baseballamerica.com/minors/t ... R8ATS3l.97" target="_blank

And he didn't have 240 pound baseball player coming at him at full speed on the diamond trying to knock him down.
Last edited by Merkin on Tue Aug 01, 2017 11:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
ramcat

Post by ramcat »

Substance abuse can certainly exasperate the vulnerability to injury, add in what appears to be a much more mature attitude, gives me some hope.
Even if he pushes the other two in passing game, that would be worth the gamble. So hope, what appears to be a strong running game is fully taken advantage of, with a complimentary passing attack. Besides injuries, think this will be critical as to whether a bowl is made.
ANGCatFan

Post by ANGCatFan »

ANGCatFan

Post by ANGCatFan »

ANGCatFan

Post by ANGCatFan »

Now, here is something the coaches say every year. Like throwing more to the tight ends, I won't believe it until I see it.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Arizona really needs an indoor facility. Sell bonds or borrow if needed, this is needed asap.
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Staff is big on playing lots of guys,

Staff is big on finally using a tight end too. :roll:

PHXCATS wrote:Arizona really needs an indoor facility. Sell bonds or borrow if needed, this is needed asap.
No reason ASU should have one, and UA doesn't. None.
RazorsEdgeAZ

Post by RazorsEdgeAZ »

Heard Heeke talking yesterday on radio that they expect to shortly announce a multi-year plan to begin upgrades on Stadium. Mainly East side seating plus other items. Also sounded like he hinted at another "gift" donation was possible. Know they're upgrading the Cell strength and adding more WiFi towers and hotspots now for the season.

Not sure about indoor facility but Heeke sounded pretty confident Beer sales coming "soon" to the stadium. Whatever "soon" means
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

PHXCATS wrote:Arizona really needs an indoor facility. Sell bonds or borrow if needed, this is needed asap.
It's insane that we're in the minority without an IPF when season prep occurs in the worst possible period of weather for Tucson.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

RazorsEdgeAZ wrote:Heard Heeke talking yesterday on radio that they expect to shortly announce a multi-year plan to begin upgrades on Stadium. Mainly East side seating plus other items. Also sounded like he hinted at another "gift" donation was possible. Know they're upgrading the Cell strength and adding more WiFi towers and hotspots now for the season.

Not sure about indoor facility but Heeke sounded pretty confident Beer sales coming "soon" to the stadium. Whatever "soon" means
Kind of like his lower key approach and the lack of self promotion. I was not the biggest GB fan and thought a lot of what he did was self promoting. They are certainly two different guys, that's for sure
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
ANGCatFan

Post by ANGCatFan »

ANGCatFan

Post by ANGCatFan »

MrMeow

Post by MrMeow »

ANGCatFan wrote:
Are all RichRod's practices that inefficient? 10% are actually practicing a facet of the game, 90% are practicing standing around. Honestly, that scene was really pathetic. Hey, RichRod, put in a call to Chip Kelly. Ask him how to run an efficient practice (and win games). Sheesh.
azpenguin

Post by azpenguin »

You're watching a few minutes of the very start of practice. You're watching them basically warm up and that's about it. RR packs a lot into practice time; when he got here reporters were saying one thing that stood out is how much they get done in a single practice compared to previous coaches.
ramcat

Post by ramcat »

MrMeow

Post by MrMeow »

azpenguin wrote:You're watching a few minutes of the very start of practice. You're watching them basically warm up and that's about it. RR packs a lot into practice time; when he got here reporters were saying one thing that stood out is how much they get done in a single practice compared to previous coaches.
Okay. I will defer to your opinion. I have never seen a RichRod practice in person, as I am sure you probably have. On the other hand, I have watched every televised RichRod coached game. I have been roundly criticized here for saying this in the past, but what I saw was consistently sloppy execution at many positions. That is a result of poor coaching and sloppy practice. You don't have to be a 4 or 5 star athlete to execute well. Remember, "perfect practice makes perfect", and I have not seen much evidence of that.
ANGCatFan

Post by ANGCatFan »

Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Getting near ASU basketball territory here. What's next, 2 cans of food?

Combine your love of tacos and Arizona Football.
Purchase any value meal box at a Southern Arizona Taco Bell then bring your receipt to the McKale Ticket Office and to get two football tickets at the price of one. #BearDown
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Merkin wrote:Getting near ASU basketball territory here. What's next, 2 cans of food?

Purchase any value meal box at a Southern Arizona Taco Bell then bring your receipt to the McKale Ticket Office and to get two football tickets at the price of one. #BearDown
We can't really do the exchange of ticket for guns. If the team isn't better than last year, hardcore fans are going to want to have some way to commit suicide.

If things go south, we should run a promo where any fan with remaining eligibility gets to dress out and participate in a play. Or just let fans call plays like they did in the spring game if we don't want sanctions.
Sid

Post by Sid »

MrMeow wrote:
azpenguin wrote:You're watching a few minutes of the very start of practice. You're watching them basically warm up and that's about it. RR packs a lot into practice time; when he got here reporters were saying one thing that stood out is how much they get done in a single practice compared to previous coaches.
Okay. I will defer to your opinion. I have never seen a RichRod practice in person, as I am sure you probably have. On the other hand, I have watched every televised RichRod coached game. I have been roundly criticized here for saying this in the past, but what I saw was consistently sloppy execution at many positions. That is a result of poor coaching and sloppy practice. You don't have to be a 4 or 5 star athlete to execute well. Remember, "perfect practice makes perfect", and I have not seen much evidence of that.
Look at the bright side, if the sloppy practices continue and results in a crappy 2017 season we get Chuck!

I've been overly optimistic due to our stable of running backs and now we have arguably one of the very best Arizona defensive players ever (Chuck) back in the building. Imho, I don't know how our defense doesn't improve by just having that guy around our players. I'm still unclear of his role, but having a former NFL defensive coordinator in the building breaking down film will be a very good thing.

This is going to be a lot of fun, can't freaking wait!
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Merkin wrote:Getting near ASU basketball territory here. What's next, 2 cans of food?

Arizona Football >>>>> asu Basketball

but not the fans. Not by that margin
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Huh, that's an interesting take...
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

CalStateTempe wrote:Huh, that's an interesting take...
asu basketball has never been #1. Hasn't had the all americans like UA Football. Doesn't have the big wins. Arizona football is much better than asu basketball. Much Much Much better.

But the general fans are not showing that. Arizona needs an indoor facility so desperately. Fans showing up helps with that greatly.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

would you say...it helps bigly?
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

I wouId say it helps big league.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

PHXCATS wrote:
asu basketball has never been #1. Hasn't had the all americans like UA Football. Doesn't have the big wins. Arizona football is much better than asu basketball. Much Much Much better.

But the general fans are not showing that. Arizona needs an indoor facility so desperately. Fans showing up helps with that greatly.

ASU basketball - No Final Fours
UA Football - No Rose Bowls

ASU basketball last sole conference championship: 1973 WAC
UA football last sole conference championship: 1941 Border Conference

Seems like a wash to me.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Don't disagree on your point about the programs.

Strongly disagree on your opinion of uofa football fans.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Merkin wrote:
PHXCATS wrote:

ASU basketball - No Final Fours
UA Football - No Rose Bowls

ASU basketball last sole conference championship: 1973 WAC
UA football last sole conference championship: 1941 Border Conference

Seems like a wash to me.
Please, it is not even comparable. Look at awards, draft picks, records, etc.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

CalStateTempe wrote:Don't disagree on your point about the programs.

I will say U of A Football fans are better than asu basketball fans and by a good amount, just not by the amount that the football program is better than their basketball program.

U of A Football is >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> asu football also.

I will not say it is reasonable to expect U of A Football to be like Alabama or Texas or Ohio State, but I see no reason why U of A Football cannot be like Oklahoma State or Wisconsin or Iowa over time with upgrades to Arizona Stadium and the practice facility and more money for the program for other needs and coaches. I do not think you can go to Stillwater or Madison or Iowa City and get 2 for 1 tickets at the local taco bell or that the AD needs to go to businesses in those cities and beg for season ticket sales and Tucson is twice as big as those three cities combined.
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

PHXCATS wrote:

I will say U of A Football fans are better than asu basketball fans and by a good amount, just not by the amount that the football program is better than their basketball program.

U of A Football is >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> asu football also.

I will not say it is reasonable to expect U of A Football to be like Alabama or Texas or Ohio State, but I see no reason why U of A Football cannot be like Oklahoma State or Wisconsin or Iowa over time with upgrades to Arizona Stadium and the practice facility and more money for the program for other needs and coaches. I do not think you can go to Stillwater or Madison or Iowa City and get 2 for 1 tickets at the local taco bell or that the AD needs to go to businesses in those cities and beg for season ticket sales and Tucson is twice as big as those three cities combined.

Bartender!!!! I'll have what he's having....a strong shot of denial. Make that two!!!!
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

PHXCATS wrote:

While I would certainly agree that our FB program has enjoyed more success than ASU BB, the gap is not as wide as you would suggest,.. while the gap between our FB program support & their (lack of) support for Hoops is a chasm that is significantly wider than you acknowledge.

Hanging your hat on a pre-season #1 ranking 23 years ago as evidence that we have a better FB program speaks volumes. Since you seem to like going back decades, don't sleep on Fat Lever, Byron Scott, & James Harden (Only Gronk or C-Mac would compare)... or Alton Lister, Ike Diogu Kurt Nimphius, or Sam Williams either.

Our program under RR has been pretty comparable ASU BB in Sendek's first 5 years... and our fan support has been SIGNIFICANTLY better. In THIS millennium... ASU BB = UA FB

The last 2 years (when we have SUCKED) our attendance figure for FB (whether measured by actual attendance or % capacity) has been in the upper 1/2 of the conference (and maybe upper 1/3). In the few years when we have had legit contenders, our fan support has been as good as anywhere not in Eugene or Seattle.

But keep chirping that our coaches are great and our fans are to blame for the failures of the current regime. Your belief that fans owe blind devotion to any coach or program is misguided at best.

Oh, and tell Machina I said Hi.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

chiefzona wrote:
PHXCATS wrote:

Bartender!!!! I'll have what he's having....a strong shot of denial. Make that two!!!!
What am I denying?
ANGCatFan

Post by ANGCatFan »

Just warm-ups, but after the 6 min mark there is a sighting of the QBs practicing snaps under center.
Last edited by ANGCatFan on Fri Aug 04, 2017 7:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
ANGCatFan

Post by ANGCatFan »

ramcat

Post by ramcat »

https://www.google.com/amp/tucson.com/s ... ers-to-ste" target="_blank
p-up-and/article_86d71db4-e5d9-5574-bc1e-5b50b978ee15.amp.html
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

28 days!
RazorsEdgeAZ

Post by RazorsEdgeAZ »

Not sure it means anything or insignificant, but I've noticed in these periscopes of practices the QB snap rotation has been Dawkins then Khalil then K'Hari Lane, then Donovan Tate etc.
It's K'Hari Lane that I've noticed has taken the 3rd snap in rotation each time (at least on provided periscopes). Yea, it's early in camp but Tate been mentioned a ton and haven't heard anything about the Red Rifle
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

But yet he is running with the 3rd team. What do you make from that Razor? Trying to motivate D Tate or maybe that Lane is better than expected?
UALoco

Post by UALoco »

azcat49 wrote:But yet he is running with the 3rd team. What do you make from that Razor? Trying to motivate D Tate or maybe that Lane is better than expected?
maybe Khari is in better football shape to start with..RR values fitness early on.
RazorsEdgeAZ

Post by RazorsEdgeAZ »

azcat49 wrote:But yet he is running with the 3rd team. What do you make from that Razor? Trying to motivate D Tate or maybe that Lane is better than expected?
That maybe Lane better than expected. Who knows, I just noticed it. Could be reps run alphabetically after Dawkins/Khalil... K'Hari known for being a passing QB. Who knows if he can make the throws. He does hold Georgia's season passing TD record. Could be nothing.

I haven't put much hope in Donovan Tate or others outside Dawkins, Khalil and Werlinger. RR has always said his QB position so complicated and nearly impossible for 1st year QB's to get a grasp of his system. In RR's history couple have by force and they've been primarily heavy run QB's. Donovan Tate is 6+ years removed from competitive QB competition. Good Media story, draw some attention, but I don't lay my hopes in Donovan Tate for this year. Will he play some? Sure. Would I bet on him being top two on depth chart? No.

Would be a nice surprise though
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

I think Richard is trying to motivate D. Tate.
UALoco

Post by UALoco »

RazorsEdgeAZ wrote:I haven't put much hope in Donovan Tate or others outside Dawkins, Khalil and Werlinger.
You have hope for Werlinger?
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

D Tate hasn't played football for a long time. It will take time.

Book it, he starts a game this season.
RazorsEdgeAZ

Post by RazorsEdgeAZ »

UALoco wrote:
RazorsEdgeAZ wrote:I haven't put much hope in Donovan Tate or others outside Dawkins, Khalil and Werlinger.
Head start Knowing the system? Yes. But I called it Hope. Khalil wouldn't have even played last year as true freshman if RR wasn't so desperate (according to RR). When Anu Solomon struggled, many here wanted Dawkins in and to start. Play Dawkins then. Then they jumped on Dawkins and wanted Khalil. Now those same fans have both returning.
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

RazorsEdgeAZ wrote:
UALoco wrote:
Head start Knowing the system? Yes. But I called it Hope. Khalil wouldn't have even played last year as true freshman if RR wasn't so desperate (according to RR). When Anu Solomon struggled, many here wanted Dawkins in and to start. Play Dawkins then. Then they jumped on Dawkins and wanted Khalil. Now those same fans have both returning.

Usually signs that the system is broken.
RazorsEdgeAZ

Post by RazorsEdgeAZ »

chiefzona wrote:
RazorsEdgeAZ wrote:
UALoco wrote:

Not that I disagree with you, but you seem so negative about RR and anything about RR and his approach to Football that It's hard to think you're not compromised in your opinion and so biased against. I try to stay neutral. I was a big fan of RR at UA. But results matter. I wanted him to succeed. But "it is what it is". I don't think you supported him from the beginning. But that's just my opinion.

Of course I assume you are a fan of UA primarily (assumption) and IF UA turns it around this season, does the remarkable you'd be happy and supportive of it and RR. Again, another assumption. If that's not the case, that's fine. It's your opinion. But it leads to align priorities and what's "success". Jesse Scroggins is not walking back through that UA tunnel.
azpenguin

Post by azpenguin »

Remember the old cliche: "The most popular guy in town is the backup quarterback." It's almost always true.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

PHXCATS wrote:D Tate hasn't played football for a long time. It will take time.

Sans injury, I would take that bet for a beer or 3
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

azcat49 wrote:
PHXCATS wrote:D Tate hasn't played football for a long time. It will take time.

Sans injury, I would take that bet for a beer or 3
You got it
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

RazorsEdgeAZ wrote:
chiefzona wrote:
RazorsEdgeAZ wrote:
UALoco wrote:

Not that I disagree with you, but you seem so negative about RR and anything about RR and his approach to Football that It's hard to think you're not compromised in your opinion and so biased against. I try to stay neutral. I was a big fan of RR at UA. But results matter. I wanted him to succeed. But "it is what it is". I don't think you supported him from the beginning. But that's just my opinion.

Of course I assume you are a fan of UA primarily (assumption) and IF UA turns it around this season, does the remarkable you'd be happy and supportive of it and RR. Again, another assumption. If that's not the case, that's fine. It's your opinion. But it leads to align priorities and what's "success". Jesse Scroggins is not walking back through that UA tunnel.

You can think whatever you want but here's the disgusting bottom line:

18-26 in the PAC 12 during 5 years of parity in the PAC 12. A weak USC and UCLA and ASU. 3-12 against USC, UCLA, and ASU. Now we can sit and talk about excuses and reasons all night but those records belong to Rich Rod and Rich Rod only. It's disgusting and unacceptable. If you're a casual or diehard fan, this can't be tolerated. It's pathetic and subpar. Think about that before you throw all of the other stuff that really doesn't matter like Scroggins and opinions. Thanks.