2017 recruits/commitment thread

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Chicat

Re: 2017 recruits/commitment thread

Post by Chicat »

catinfl wrote:
MrBug708 wrote:
chiefzona wrote:
MrBug708 wrote:Tilford needs to play D but he hasn't been the same since that Santiago game

He's a RB. An amazing one at that. Id never play him anywhere else.
He wasn't even the best RB at Upland any of the years he was there. Highest rated but not the best. On defense he has NFL potential. At RB he's a good college player but as I said, he's never been the same his that Santiago game
That is the position Biggins projected him at and I think highly of his opinion so I don't see why you don't see him having potential to be really good at RB.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

He moved down in divisions so I'd hope so. Shame he left Upland as they could use him on both offense and defense
whatisee

Post by whatisee »

You can watch our commit Hausman and Bishop Gorman right now espn2.

edit: nevermind. He's on the sidelines but not dressed for the game
whatisee

Post by whatisee »

So Hausman was hit by a drunk driver over the summer and hurt his knee. Rich Rod is standing by the scholarship offer, so hopefully the kid can come back 100%. He'll have the best doctors that's for sure.
ANGCatFan

Post by ANGCatFan »

Jessie Britt the 2016 commit with severe heart issues has been medically cleared to enroll next January. Complicates are recruiting numbers, but great for the kid.
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

At least we are getting a visit from Darnay Holmes............I can't ever remember when the Cats managed to sign a highly ranked recruit who had an older brother on the team (it never seems to work for the UA)

http://www.azdesertswarm.com/recruiting ... ng-cienega" target="_blank
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

http://www.azdesertswarm.com/recruiting ... mg-academy" target="_blank

On Monday morning, it was announced that 2-star defensive tackle Elijah Watson had decommitted from Arizona, opening up his recruitment process. Watson just recently transferred to football powerhouse IMG Academy, which was sure to bring him plenty of attention.

Watson was on pace to be a mid-year enrollee, with the opportunity of early playing time being a huge selling point. He was being recruited by Georgia State, Old Dominion and UTSA, among others, and was in talks with Louisville prior to his Arizona commitment.

Don’t be surprised if there are more decommitments coming soon. Recruits have already been talking since the BYU game.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Odd decommittment as I would think those kids like the scheme and should see playing time all over the field
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

Figured we would start to see some de-commitments as seems to happen every year. One year I would love us not to take so many guys so early but whatever.

Glad we lost a defensive Line commitment...not like we need any of those
2004 First Team All American Football Poster as voted on by GOAZCATS
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

Merkin wrote:http://www.azdesertswarm.com/recruiting ... mg-academy

On Monday morning, it was announced that 2-star defensive tackle Elijah Watson had decommitted from Arizona, opening up his recruitment process. Watson just recently transferred to football powerhouse IMG Academy, which was sure to bring him plenty of attention.

Watson was on pace to be a mid-year enrollee, with the opportunity of early playing time being a huge selling point. He was being recruited by Georgia State, Old Dominion and UTSA, among others, and was in talks with Louisville prior to his Arizona commitment.

Don’t be surprised if there are more decommitments coming soon. Recruits have already been talking since the BYU game.
Your bolded sentence has been removed. Quite frankly a stupid f_cking thing for Encinas to write.
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
UALoco

Post by UALoco »

These "journalists" need to take a breath. In the eternal push to get the scoop, it appears that accuracy has been diminished. Also, it seems like editorializing is not called out anymore..it is like the twitterfication of the news.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

UALoco wrote:These "journalists" need to take a breath. In the eternal push to get the scoop, it appears that accuracy has been diminished. Also, it seems like editorializing is not called out anymore..it is like the twitterfication of the news.
It seems it's more important these days to be first than to be right.
qwertyus

Post by qwertyus »

azgreg wrote:
UALoco wrote:These "journalists" need to take a breath. In the eternal push to get the scoop, it appears that accuracy has been diminished. Also, it seems like editorializing is not called out anymore..it is like the twitterfication of the news.
It seems it's more important these days to be first than to be right.
"If you ain't first, you're last."

- Ricky Bobby
(also various journalists)
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

To be fair, ADS is an amateur blog site, so they're not really journalists or even 'journalists'.
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

This is how Journalism has always worked, technology has just changed the pace at which news can travel now. Far better to relay on multiple sources to get information nowadays then when you just could look at your local newspaper.

azgreg

Post by azgreg »

MrBug708 wrote: -----
Hey Bug, I sent you a PM.
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

I never got it, but I think I know what it's about and you should be good to go!
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

MrBug708 wrote:I never got it, but I think I know what it's about and you should be good to go!
Thanks buddy.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

whatisee

Post by whatisee »

154 tackles last year? Sounds like a ball hawk. Nice to see a another Tucson kid getting a look. DFL is the biggesst gem on the team IMO because no one thought he would be much coming from Tucson High. Look at him now...probably be an all PAC DB
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

5 star DB visiting for UW game:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2665 ... k-4/page/2" target="_blank
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

Cats recruiting 3 star Arizona OT:

http://www.azdesertswarm.com/recruiting ... its-offers" target="_blank

I can't say I'm wild about the competition: WSU/Utah state and Hawaii
wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

azgreg wrote:
The kid had a good game. Don't know if he had a sack. RR and Jim Michalczik were at at the game, so he probably got to shake both of their hands.

Foothills won 31-20.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Out of the last 3 classes, more kids are gone then have remained to contribute to our program. That is really bad IMO.

If the cupboard was bare like he said those kids would have stuck around and played. Poor evaluation in all areas and we are spending a record amount of money on this guy?
Last edited by azcat49 on Tue Sep 27, 2016 7:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

I was harping on this in the 2015 and 2016 commitment threads but seemed then the only response I ever saw was I was to negative or #OKG

basically every class so far for Rich Rod has turned out to be pretty poor any way you slice it. Sure we have gotten some guys like will parks, scooby, Tristan cooper, Alsadek, JJ, Wilson that look good and have talent but we have also taken a ton of guys who have not done crap. Now we have had three guys get arrested this year in separate incidents, two guys get kicked off the team for drug use and a player die in his sleep.

The 2017 looks much better on paper but not sure it will be enough to overcome all the poor recruiting we have had so far and the loose ship Rich Rod appears to run.
Carcassdragger

Post by Carcassdragger »

Newportcat wrote:I was harping on this in the 2015 and 2016 commitment threads but seemed then the only response I ever saw was I was to negative or #OKG

basically every class so far for Rich Rod has turned out to be pretty poor any way you slice it. Sure we have gotten some guys like will parks, scooby, Tristan cooper, Alsadek, JJ, Wilson that look good and have talent but we have also taken a ton of guys who have not done crap. Now we have had three guys get arrested this year in separate incidents, two guys get kicked off the team for drug use and a player die in his sleep.

The 2017 looks much better on paper but not sure it will be enough to overcome all the poor recruiting we have had so far and the loose ship Rich Rod appears to run.
I think this is a little unfair. Sure, defensive recruiting has not been as good as it might've been, but I don't believe RR runs a loose ship, and I think the character of the kids he does recruit is, overall, pretty good.
2020 BEARDOWN WILDCATS RAP Champion
2018 BEARDOWN WILDCATS SURVIVAL POOL Champion
2017 BEARDOWN WILDCATS RAP Champion
2013 GOAZCATS SURVIVAL POOL Champion
prh

Post by prh »

carcassdragger wrote:
Newportcat wrote:I was harping on this in the 2015 and 2016 commitment threads but seemed then the only response I ever saw was I was to negative or #OKG

I think this is a little unfair. Sure, defensive recruiting has not been as good as it might've been, but I don't believe RR runs a loose ship, and I think the character of the kids he does recruit is, overall, pretty good.
I think the moment that Hemmila is used to support the idea of RR recruiting poorly, it becomes clear that the post is just to complain about RR, instead of having a logical discussion.
whatisee

Post by whatisee »

azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

Why do my posts responding to Chicat keep getting deleted?
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

You had one post deleted and it was for good reason. Check your PMs
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

UALoco

Post by UALoco »

Anyone got insight on how good this kid is?
BearDown89

Post by BearDown89 »

http://www.hudl.com/video/3/7617959/57d ... ead0bd356e" target="_blank

Even Chief was complimentary over on Scout Premium . . .
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

BearDown89 wrote:http://www.hudl.com/video/3/7617959/57d ... ead0bd356e

Even Chief was complimentary over on Scout Premium . . .
Weird...
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

UALoco wrote:Anyone got insight on how good this kid is?
Two star recruit.........We beat out some MWC schools for him.

http://www.azdesertswarm.com/recruiting ... tin-faoliu" target="_blank
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

dmjcat wrote:
Never heard those lines when it comes to Arizona football recruiting before....wait.......as they say you can not coach size
whatisee

Post by whatisee »

Newportcat wrote:
dmjcat wrote:
Never heard those lines when it comes to Arizona football recruiting before....wait.......as they say you can not coach size
A little research would show you the kid transferred into Mater Dei in the off season, so i imagine he's been under evaluated. Just watching his senios film you can tell the guy is better thn two star. I'm sure he'll be reclassified. Nice big dude for the DL. I like it

All of those offers have come in the last month fwiw. There's a little story on Scout recruiting about him and he wants to bring along LB Faavae Favae from Materi Dei
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

The kid transferred in from JSerra in Orange County which is a widely known school. Not Mater Dei, but its not like he played in some random place recruiters never go to. I did not see his stats from last year but obviously he is getting a much bigger spotlight at Mater Dei which is great and his film did look good though Mater Dei really has not played anyone good yet this year. One concerning factor is Xavier Bell has not really don't anything for Mater Dei this year. I think he might have gotten hurt as only played in 3 games but has a total of 6 tackles. In any event I might go check out one of their games now and will report back what I see about both guys.

Love getting guys from Mater Dei and never going to complain about adding size to the DL as god knows we need it. It seems 80% of Rich Rod recruits has been "under evaluated" though
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Don't think that Watson has "officially" decomitted but I bet he does and this kid is the backup plan.

Not like we are going to get the kids Bama or LSU are going after so I am good with a kid like this. He and Holt might look pretty good in a couple years
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

I would much rather take a 2-3 star DL recruit with size from Mater Dei then from Georgia or Florida as better chance the guy from Mater Dei stays committed and then comes to school and does not get homesick.

The last OC DL we landed I remember was Kirifi Taula from Servite. Still surprised he did not do anything at Arizona as I saw him play Long Beach Poly his senior year and he dominated during that game.

Did hear Holt has looked terrible and showed up very out of shape to camp so needs to put a lot of work in to become a contributor
whatisee

Post by whatisee »

Newportcat wrote: Did hear Holt has looked terrible and showed up very out of shape to camp so needs to put a lot of work in to become a contributor
He's coming off major knee surgery, so there may be a reason why he was out of shape. That and he's a 6' 300lb 18 year old.
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

We are recruiting another big DT from Arizona Western............transferred from Michigan State after drug issues.

http://host.madison.com/wsj/sports/coll ... 19c95.html" target="_blank
azpenguin

Post by azpenguin »

whatisee wrote:
Newportcat wrote: Did hear Holt has looked terrible and showed up very out of shape to camp so needs to put a lot of work in to become a contributor
He's coming off major knee surgery, so there may be a reason why he was out of shape. That and he's a 6' 300lb 18 year old.
Broke his fibula IIRC. Missed several months of work in the offseason.
whatisee

Post by whatisee »

azpenguin wrote:
whatisee wrote:
This. Thanks for the correction. I knew it was leg related
FightWildcatsFight

Post by FightWildcatsFight »

Newportcat wrote:The kid transferred in from JSerra in Orange County which is a widely known school. Not Mater Dei, but its not like he played in some random place recruiters never go to. I did not see his stats from last year but obviously he is getting a much bigger spotlight at Mater Dei which is great and his film did look good though Mater Dei really has not played anyone good yet this year. One concerning factor is Xavier Bell has not really don't anything for Mater Dei this year. I think he might have gotten hurt as only played in 3 games but has a total of 6 tackles. In any event I might go check out one of their games now and will report back what I see about both guys.

Love getting guys from Mater Dei and never going to complain about adding size to the DL as god knows we need it. It seems 80% of Rich Rod recruits has been "under evaluated" though
I'm pretty sure this is also his first year playing full time on defense which can't help his exposure.
BearDown89

Post by BearDown89 »

He played OG prior to the transfer. His new coach at MD moved him to the D-line and he's done well. Hence the under the radar and the under evaluation. He'll be reevaluated and pick up a star at least.... He's big, fast and mobile, and apparently smart/coachable. Sounds good to me.
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

azpenguin wrote:
whatisee wrote:
Not sure how good he was before the injury but we shall see. Article from last year did not make me super excited for him and this was before his major injury

http://www.azdesertswarm.com/recruiting ... te-lancers
whatisee

Post by whatisee »

I'm sure Arizona is up to date on recruiting, but if anyone has Dudek's ear they should keep a close eye on Liberty High School in Las Vegas. Very large Polynesian community around the school, and their football team is starting to show some promising prospects. i believe before their recent loss to Centennial they were nationally ranked. I see the kids all the time in the Walmart across the street from the school. They are LARGE

They currently have a number of BIG dudes that are under recruited. Including a 6'7" 365 lineman that looks promising after he get's in the weight program