2017 Arizona Wildcats Football Team.

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

RazorsEdgeAZ

Re: 2017 Arizona Wildcats Football Team.

Post by RazorsEdgeAZ »

ChiefZona,

You seem to deflect the key point I was making. I said results matter. I said it is what it is. I said I didn't necessarily disagree with you. But that's what's you argued against. Weird. It's like you were arguing with yourself. I know the record. I've posted them on here. Casual or diehard fan? Yes, of UA, not coaches. If coaches fail, great. If they succeed, great.

I was making the opinion you're compromised in opinion because of RR. I said if not, then OK. I assumed you're UA fan 1st, coaches not 1st. If RR remarkably turns it around this year, that's good for UA, right? Would you agree it's great for a season? You would be in favor and thankful for that even if RR was the coach?

I was saying I'm a UA fan 1st, even if RR was the coach of UA. I assumed your're a UA fan 1st also so you would agree with RR success and support if he could pull it off.

I'm not convinced you are. OK if you're not. But you deflected this point in your response. Which leads to lack of confidence your're not coming in with heavy bias.

It's simple. You would support RR if UA could get to a bowl game and make a remarkable turnaround this season because it's UA success. Or you wouldn't because whatever. I think most of us agree RR should be gone if he can't turn it around. Just let posters know you would be thankful UA could turn it around IF RR could have success for UA this season (or not). That way it's clear and know where you're coming from. Btw, I don't care if you just want RR gone even if he can win 7 games this year. At least it would be clear to us where you're posting from. UA or coaches...
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

RazorsEdgeAZ wrote:ChiefZona,

You seem to deflect the key point I was making. I said results matter. I said it is what it is. I said I didn't necessarily disagree with you. But that's what's you argued against. Weird. It's like you were arguing with yourself. I know the record. I've posted them on here. Casual or diehard fan? Yes, of UA, not coaches. If coaches fail, great. If they succeed, great.

I was making the opinion you're compromised in opinion because of RR. I said if not, then OK. I assumed you're UA fan 1st, coaches not 1st. If RR remarkably turns it around this year, that's good for UA, right? Would you agree it's great for a season? You would be in favor and thankful for that even if RR was the coach?

I was saying I'm a UA fan 1st, even if RR was the coach of UA. I assumed your're a UA fan 1st also so you would agree with RR success and support if he could pull it off.

I'm not convinced you are. OK if you're not. But you deflected this point in your response. Which leads to lack of confidence your're not coming in with heavy bias.

It's simple. You would support RR if UA could get to a bowl game and make a remarkable turnaround this season because it's UA success. Or you wouldn't because whatever. I think most of us agree RR should be gone if he can't turn it around. Just let posters know you would be thankful UA could turn it around IF RR could have success for UA this season (or not). That way it's clear and know where you're coming from. Btw, I don't care if you just want RR gone even if he can win 7 games this year. At least it would be clear to us where you're posting from. UA or coaches...
Im over the RR experiment. It's time to move on. But I can't make up anyone's mind nor would I want to. It was always more fun when RR was doing better. I would bring up deficiencies that I observed and most of the board would lose their freakin minds. Now most just agree. The subject is maligned and boring. It's got to be up to you. Its whatever you think is right or wrong. I just made a comment that it's usually a sign of a broken system. We all have the great freedom of either listening or tuning out. Ain't America grand?
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Razor, great post. Chief, you HATE RR so you would NEVER root for him or the cats to succeed. Hey, if the the cats turn it around, great and good on RR. If they don't, good on us, new coach
Last edited by azcat49 on Sat Aug 05, 2017 7:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

I intensely dislike chief and his self jerking, but I'm way over the RR experiment too. We need someone new who actually gives a shit about recruiting actual talent and trying to win.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

azcat49 wrote:Razor, great post. Chief, you HATE RR so you would NEVER root for him or the cats to succeed. Hey, if the the cats turn it around, great and good on RR. If they don't, good on us, new coach

I don't hate anyone. To hate someone you first must love them. I have never loved RR. I'm tired of him stealing from the school and the fans. It's a sham job.
ANGCatFan

Post by ANGCatFan »

ANGCatFan

Post by ANGCatFan »

Carcassdragger

Post by Carcassdragger »

I think there is some succession planning going on.
2020 BEARDOWN WILDCATS RAP Champion
2018 BEARDOWN WILDCATS SURVIVAL POOL Champion
2017 BEARDOWN WILDCATS RAP Champion
2013 GOAZCATS SURVIVAL POOL Champion
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

carcassdragger wrote:I think there is some succession planning going on.

Yeah, it's called Heeke's short list.
Sid

Post by Sid »

carcassdragger wrote:I think there is some succession planning going on.
You think so? J/k...

I like how our future head coach STILL has no qualms calling out the scum. Chuck is fucking awesome!!!!

Bear Down
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Love Cecil of course, but not as a HC.

There is a reason he has been a life long position coach. Only 1 season as a DC, then fired.

Might as well hire Ricky Hunley then, another life long position coach.
MrMeow

Post by MrMeow »

Merkin wrote:Love Cecil of course, but not as a HC.

There is a reason he has been a life long position coach. Only 1 season as a DC, then fired.

Might as well hire Ricky Hunley then, another life long position coach.
I agree. Let's hope Heeke is smarter than GB.
UALoco

Post by UALoco »

Sure wish some of the smart posters were running our program...we'd be the next Alabama fo' sho'!! :roll:
tgrumpy2

Post by tgrumpy2 »

I wanted to make a few comments and then move on to a VERY hypothetical situation and get everyone's opinion on it First of all, Chief, see there, I'm not the only one that thinks you hate everything RichRod. Second of all, as much as I like Chuck Cecil and what he has done for Arizona football, if they hired him as head coach I might have to consider taking a dip and becoming a BYU fan. Now for the very hypothetical problem. Above anything else I want Arizona football to be successful. I don't care who coaches us to that. I'm only giving RR about a 25% chance of turning it all around this year. But with our schedule and the unknowns with a number of the teams in our conference this year, there is a chance. Very hypothetically lets say Arizona goes 8-4 and beats ASU and one of the big two in the South (USC or UCLA) and our defense shows marked signs of improvement. What do we do with RR then? Do we fire him or extend his contract?
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

You keep him but don't extend him IMO. If he wants to go, let him
ramcat

Post by ramcat »

Think you keep him. Is 2018 his last year of contract? If so, that's tough. Coming off a Good year, exceed expectations, bowl, beat ASU, and leave him lame duck? How could you hope to recruit?

Also, think team/players would be affected negatively. Just saying...
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

I feel sorry for RR and all of the suckers that destroyed their reputations and credibility defending him. That's the saddest thing of all. Same with the Casteel backers. Where are they all at now? Gonzo. There were some real good football minds that went in hiding all because of backing a coach. Never hang your hat on a coach's coat hanger. You'll end up running for cover. Lessons learned are good and worthy lessons.
ramcat

Post by ramcat »

Think this Freshman lb group is gonna be Fun to watch!

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.azdese ... tate-cecil" target="_blank
RazorsEdgeAZ

Post by RazorsEdgeAZ »

That Hypothetical...

For some slim chance RR can win 7 games this year I think you have to keep him. His contract runs until May 2020. But RR is leveraged from his last 2 seasons. So I would like to see his contract re-worked. I'm not even sure RR still wants to be a HC in a P5. But if he does, re-work the The buyout and/or the Longevity Fund. Re-work to earmark some of that money for indoor facility. There's $4-$6 million to work with there. If RR declines, let may have to let him go just for the remaining longevity fund financials alone. Let him keep some of it, but he would need to split good percentage back to the school. He's already been paid some of it.

IF Defense still struggles and Cats can still win 7 games, don't renew DC Yates contract. Promote Cecil to DC (I don't see him as HC material). Who knows, Chuck Cecil may want to get back into NFL next year. But RR still leveraged and because Chuck Cecil is Chuck Cecil, Cecil could implement want he wants on defensive side as long as it supports offense.

If RR can win 6 games, still re-work his contract or if he declines let him go.

Under 6 games won, Fire him. Earmark remaining Longevity Fund dollars towards indoor facility.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

I would be on board with all of that except I think Yates should get a little more ride mainly because its RR who is still mainly dictating scheme.

In think Yates would like to play a traditional 4 man front but RR loves the odd man scheme. They seem to have met in the middle with the hand in the ground hybrid LB coming off the edge.

Going to be a good year for us......onecway or the other
Last edited by azcat49 on Sun Aug 06, 2017 7:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
ANGCatFan

Post by ANGCatFan »

AG, at all sports Tucson, with his thoughts after watching the half of practice that was open yesterday.
1. Trevor Wood looks good like a tight end should

Nobody has ever looked like Rob Gronkowski in an Arizona uniform, but Wood fits the profile as well as any tight end since GRONK! roamed the field for the Wildcats. And considering UA’s receiving corps lacks size and experience, let’s just go ahead and say this — stop us if you’ve heard this before — Arizona needs to throw the dang ball to the tight ends.

“He’s having a really good camp. He’s healthy. This is the best Trevor has looked in his career,” coach Rich Rodriguez said.

Wood, a redshirt junior, was targeted plenty in the 11-on-11 parts of Saturday night’s practice. He is 6-foot-4, 265 pounds and looks capable of matching his seven catches from last year in the season-opener. He sat out the 2015 season because of injury.

“I think he’s more confident because he’s been healthy for a whole year,” Rodriguez said. “That’s been the issue with him before.”
I said I wouldn't fall for it again, but maybe, just maybe, the offense uses a tight end this year.
ANGCatFan

Post by ANGCatFan »

ANGCatFan

Post by ANGCatFan »

Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Athlon preview, nothing really new, just pretty somber analysis.

https://athlonsports.com/college-footba ... prediction" target="_blank
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

Merkin wrote:Athlon preview, nothing really new, just pretty somber analysis.

https://athlonsports.com/college-footba ... prediction" target="_blank

When the rags start picking up on the lack of recruiting.....it's bad.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

*** ARIZONA

Best case: 8-4. Brandon Dawkins delivers the ball downfield efficiently, Nick Wilson stays healthy to power a first-class running game, the defense is opportunistic, and the manageable September schedule provides the fuel for a turnaround season, squashing all chatter of Rich Rodriguez being on the Hot Seat.

Worst case: 1-11. The quarterback play (pick a name, any name) remains erratic, and the defense continues to struggle. The Wildcats get blindsided at UTEP, stagger through October and, finally, lose their coach. New athletic director Dave Heeke dismisses Rodriguez with weeks to play as fans wonder if Chip Kelly likes the stark desert landscape.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

I'd be down for chip Kelly.

Knows how to run a college program and left on his own terms for the L. Some people aren't made for the NFL.

Not a retred in the classic sense of the word.
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

No way on Chip. Runs an outdated offensive scheme. I'd pick Scott Frost over Chip any day.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Who is he?

I know jack shit about what feasible options are out there so any and all potential names I'm willing to learn about.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Pretty impressive, Frost took a winless UCF team to a bowl game in one year.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2016_UCF_ ... tball_team" target="_blank
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

CalStateTempe wrote:Who is he?

I know jack shit about what feasible options are out there so any and all potential names I'm willing to learn about.

Chip hired him as his WR coach at Oregon than after Chip left he was promoted to offensive coordinator. In 2015 he was hired as UCF's head coach. He is an awesome west coast recruiter.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Definitely would prefer a younger more hungry coach from a smaller program, like has worked with the basketball program and previously in the football program with Smith and Tomey.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

would 6 wins be enough to save RR's job? If the other losses are close you would have to say yes I assume. Blow outs like Wazzu and he is gone
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

azcat49 wrote:would 6 wins be enough to save RR's job? If the other losses are close you would have to say yes I assume. Blow outs like Wazzu and he is gone
6 and 6 if you beat asu, yes
7 and 5 if you do not beat asu
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

I have the lighter fluid and the Bic, tell me when...
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

CalStateTempe wrote:I have the lighter fluid and the Bic, tell me when...
If U of A beats Houston in week 2, RR stays the rest of the year. If U of A doesn't then mid year is possible.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

PHXCATS wrote:
CalStateTempe wrote:I have the lighter fluid and the Bic, tell me when...
If U of A beats Houston in week 2, RR stays the rest of the year. If U of A doesn't then mid year is possible.
So Sept 10th then...

Sweet, heading to costco for some meat to grill.

I'm actually not sad that I'm going to miss that game in favor of my Mt Whitney summit attempt.
RazorsEdgeAZ

Post by RazorsEdgeAZ »

Yeah, I don't kow about that FPI stuff. I don't think Utah is as good as some think (Media picked them to finish 2nd in the South). Utah has a tough schedule but that FPI projected them to win 1 conference game (last in south)and go 3-9 overall.

I thought UA's best chances were Cal, Oregon State and the non-conference games. Yes, think Houston the crucial game for RR
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

How many other Power 5 schools need to do a bobble head and fan appreciation night on opening weekend? These gimicks are needed in baseball with some many games even pro hockey and basketball but football, come on man.
whatisee

Post by whatisee »

PHXCATS wrote:How many other Power 5 schools need to do a bobble head and fan appreciation night on opening weekend? These gimicks are needed in baseball with some many games even pro hockey and basketball but football, come on man.
why do you hate Gronk bro? Take a puff and chill
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

whatisee wrote:
PHXCATS wrote:How many other Power 5 schools need to do a bobble head and fan appreciation night on opening weekend? These gimicks are needed in baseball with some many games even pro hockey and basketball but football, come on man.
why do you hate Gronk bro? Take a puff and chill
Love Gronk. Just disappointed in ticket sales.
FlyonWall

Post by FlyonWall »

I think I figured out the mystery of the excessive injuries. In several of RR's recent interviews he says the team lifted in the morning and then practiced in the afternoon (and then sometimes running in the evening). Why would you lift in the morning and practice in the afternoon? Have the team trainers never heard of recovery? If your legs are fatigued from lifting, likely heavy lifting, then when you are running, landing and pivoting at practice your leg will not be at full strength and it is easy to see how a limp fatigued quad could lead to a twisted ankle.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

FlyonWall wrote:I think I figured out the mystery of the excessive injuries. In several of RR's recent interviews he says the team lifted in the morning and then practiced in the afternoon (and then sometimes running in the evening). Why would you lift in the morning and practice in the afternoon? Have the team trainers never heard of recovery? If your legs are fatigued from lifting, likely heavy lifting, then when you are running, landing and pivoting at practice your leg will not be at full strength and it is easy to see how a limp fatigued quad could lead to a twisted ankle.
I think most teams do the same. If not that is a good though.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Like that you must stay though to get the bobble head.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

only GOOD fans get bobbleheads!!!!
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

You better not pout, you better not cry, you better not leave im telling you why, bobblehead night is coming to town....

AD's making a list, and checking it twice, gotta find out whose staying the whole time, bobble head night is coming to town....
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Who gives a shit about bobble heads? I don't, even if it's got Rob's actual head on it.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Don't know who is running the marketing department, third party outside consultant or in house but this is a big swing and a miss.

Seems a bit mid-american to me :)
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Didn't the UA AD just hire the Cal ticketing guy for the same role? Don't recall Cal attendance being all that great.

Was the Taco Bell 2 for 1 tickets the new guy's idea?