2017 Arizona Wildcats Football Team.

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

MrMeow

Re: 2017 Arizona Wildcats Football Team.

Post by MrMeow »

azcat49 wrote:So they are going to dome the baseball field? That would be cool
Pun intended?
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

azcat49 wrote:Just reading into the multi use theme and that the baseball team would be using it which I find odd, given they are doing the hitting facility outside of Hi Corbett.

In any event it appears it will be built for our next coach to use.
Based on facilities I have seem in the Midwest I don't think the baseball team could do a full practice or game in the facility but would probably have hitting nets and the space to do drills and space to do grounders line drives and infield work.

The space will be big enough for all sports to benefit from but not enough to play actual football or baseball games.

This is fantastic news. Hopefully this won't be too long of a project. Ready for the football team to train for the 2019 season?
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
ANGCatFan

Post by ANGCatFan »

ANGCatFan

Post by ANGCatFan »

ANGCatFan

Post by ANGCatFan »

BearDown89

Post by BearDown89 »

ANGCatFan wrote:
#17 Andrew Tovar? That throwing motion. :shock:
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

BearDown89 wrote:
ANGCatFan wrote:
#17 Andrew Tovar? That throwing motion. :shock:

Denker and Tebow throwarrific
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

wyo-cat wrote:
azcat49 wrote:So they are going to dome the baseball field? That would be cool
The project is in the Request For Qualifications phase for a design team. Heeke has decided to make it multi-use, so if I were to guess, the site would be Jimenez Field, at the corner of Campbell and 6th, south of Sand VB and east of the Martin alignment. I can't see FB giving up the use of the turfgrass at Sancet for an inside facility. The Rich Rod Memorial Therapy Pools are adjacent to the field as part of the new CATS building.
Is that enough of an area? I always pegged Sancet as the no brainer spot for the indoor facility being that there's enough space there and it's legitimately close to every thing and namely closest to the stadium so it can be used for gameday activities.

Either way football and soccer would benefit most from this. Not sure baseball would have to utilize it much with the Terry Francona facility going up. Softball would probably get more use out of an indoor facility than baseball.
ANGCatFan

Post by ANGCatFan »

UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

UAEebs86 wrote:

Huge pick up. He'll be eligible next season and I'll bet he starts right away at LT. Anchor.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

I guess this changed since he left MSU?

"I'm definitely not passionate enough about football right now to have my life revolve around it."
ANGCatFan

Post by ANGCatFan »

From Feb in the Lansing State Journal:
Thiyo Lukusa has quit Michigan State’s football team after his freshman season, a major loss for the Spartans' young, developing offensive line.

The Traverse City native confirmed to the Free Press today that he signed the paperwork to relinquish his scholarship.

“I really haven’t been in love with football since I was in high school,” Lukusa said via phone. “It’s been awhile, probably since I was a sophomore or junior. I went home for Christmas and had a great time with my family Up North -- just being away from football and doing other things and working out and playing basketball and running.

“I had been thinking about not playing for a long time. I finally just decided that I’m gonna go through with it and kind of weather the storm, whatever it brings.”

Michigan State officials did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

The 6-foot-5, 305-pound Lukusa played eight games in his debut season -- a rarity for a true freshman offensive lineman -- and was projected as the starting right tackle this fall. He arrived at MSU after playing his senior year of high school football at DePaul Catholic in New Jersey after three years at Traverse City West.
Hopefully, he's learned to like football.
MrMeow

Post by MrMeow »

A change in latitude brings a change in attitude.
ANGCatFan

Post by ANGCatFan »

Lev at the Star with quick notes on the scrimmage.
Safety Isaiah Hayes and tight end Jamie Nunley were out because of undisclosed injuries.

* First-team offensive line (left to right): Layth Friekh, Christian Boettcher, Nathan Eldridge, Jacob Alsadek, Gerhard de Beer. Second team (L-R): Bryson Cain, Michael Eletise, Levi Walton, Alex Kosinski, Cody Creason. De Beer later played with the backups. He and Creason remain neck and neck for the right tackle job.

* Tailbacks J.J. Taylor and Nick Wilson played only a handful of snaps at most.

* First-team defensive front: Justin Belknap, Parker Zellers, Luca Bruno, Lee Anderson III. First-team linebackers: Brandon Rutt, Tony Fields II (although Jacob Colacion and Carrington Vaughn rotated in during the first series). First-team secondary: Demetrius Flannigan-Fowles, Dane Cruikshank, Jace Whittaker, Scottie Young Jr., Sammy Morrison (who rotated with Lorenzo Burns).

* Second-team defensive front: Kylan Wilborn, Kurtis Brown, Finton Connolly, Jack Banda. Second-team linebackers: Colin Schooler, Gavin Robertson Jr. Second-team secondary: Antonio Parks, Tristan Cooper, Troy Young, Jarrius Wallace, Malcolm Holland.

* Later, DT Dereck Boles, Banda and Wilborn played with the ones. Lots of rotating on defense.

* Defensive tackle Marcus Griffin played a lot and had a sack.

* Jake Glatting took the first punt reps and kicked the ball well. He also appears to be the primary holder.

* Josh Pollack and Lucas Havrisik made all of their field goals during warmpus. During the scrimmage, Havrisik made a 46-yarder while Pollack missed from 41.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

ANGCatFan wrote: made all of their field goals during warmpus.
Warm pus?
RazorsEdgeAZ

Post by RazorsEdgeAZ »

ANGCatFan wrote:From Feb in the Lansing State Journal:
Thiyo Lukusa has quit Michigan State’s football team after his freshman season, a major loss for the Spartans' young, developing offensive line.

The Traverse City native confirmed to the Free Press today that he signed the paperwork to relinquish his scholarship.

“I really haven’t been in love with football since I was in high school,” Lukusa said via phone. “It’s been awhile, probably since I was a sophomore or junior. I went home for Christmas and had a great time with my family Up North -- just being away from football and doing other things and working out and playing basketball and running.

“I had been thinking about not playing for a long time. I finally just decided that I’m gonna go through with it and kind of weather the storm, whatever it brings.”

Michigan State officials did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

The 6-foot-5, 305-pound Lukusa played eight games in his debut season -- a rarity for a true freshman offensive lineman -- and was projected as the starting right tackle this fall. He arrived at MSU after playing his senior year of high school football at DePaul Catholic in New Jersey after three years at Traverse City West.
Hopefully, he's learned to like football.
Exactly. He actually wanted to play basketball instead at Arizona Western. Which was his plan. Didn't like football anymore. Basketball?
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Merkin wrote:
Warm pus?
better than a cold one.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

RazorsEdgeAZ wrote: Exactly. He actually wanted to play basketball instead at Arizona Western. Which was his plan. Didn't like football anymore. Basketball?
Be an walk on enforcer on Sean Miller's team!

azgreg wrote:
Merkin wrote:
Warm pus?
better than a cold one.
Very true, if you mean puss...
RazorsEdgeAZ

Post by RazorsEdgeAZ »

Thiyo Lukusa addresses the hating football
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

RazorsEdgeAZ wrote:Thiyo Lukusa addresses the hating football

He's already my favorite player on the team.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Merkin wrote:
RazorsEdgeAZ wrote: Exactly. He actually wanted to play basketball instead at Arizona Western. Which was his plan. Didn't like football anymore. Basketball?
Be an walk on enforcer on Sean Miller's team!

azgreg wrote:
Merkin wrote:
Warm pus?
better than a cold one.
Very true, if you mean puss...
I always mean puss.
ANGCatFan

Post by ANGCatFan »

Here are the media day hits I found from local TV. David Kelly looks like he will still lead the way since he not only does video hits, but actual reporting and analysis.

David Kelly, Ch13, video and article. On each QB from Kelly's article:
By now you’ve heard that Brandon Dawkins threw two interceptions.

Dawkins will likely start the season.

He’s the most experienced and has wins on his record.

He got better after a shaky start that saw him picked by Antonio Parks, and by Jarrius Wallace on a ball that was deflected by Troy Young.

To Dawkins credit he threw a terrific touchdown late to Tyrell Johnson on a ball that zipped by the hands of Young.

But overall it was an uneven performance and certainly not one that separated him from the pack.

I came away from the first open session a few weeks ago impressed with Donavan Tate.

That did not change on Saturday. I like his decision-making.

He’s poised “in the pocket”. And I parentheses that because it’s one of my issues with Dawkins. He’s often fleeing the pocket.

I’m still not comfortable with Brandon’s ability to see the middle of the field.

There was one play where under duress, Donavan (for the sake of the fact there are two quarterbacks named Tate) calmly found a check down and got the ball in the hands of a playmaker (Johnson) for positive yards.

Then he zipped a beautiful potential touchdown ball to Zach Benjamin from 25 yards out, but Benjamin failed to get a foot in bounds.

Donavan is not ready though.

Although I like what I’ve seen in the two sessions, he failed to make some throws on Saturday.

His accuracy still needs work.

And then there’s Rhett Rodriguez.

He’s clearly not the best runner or the best thrower of this quarterback group, but he certainly gets it the most.

He understands where the ball is supposed to go. He grasps the center of the field.

I watch Rhett and the statement I continue to make to myself over and over is, “I’d love to see him with the 1s (first team)”.

What might he be able to do if he had the top weapons around him?

If Rodriguez can make the intermediate throws, with this running game, he might be able to be an effective quarterback option because I don’t think Rhett is going to kill the offense with mistakes.

What he couldn’t do is much of anything when he had to face the first-team defense. Rodriguez's squad went three and out.

I think we can expect that he’ll redshirt.

Khari Lane’s best moment was a crisp slant throw to Tucson High’s Donovan Moore. The throw was on-point and then Moore did the rest for an impressive 25-yard gain.

So that’s it. Saturday will likely be the last time we (the media) get to see this team in a practice session.

Which brings us back to Khalil.

He didn’t stand out (to me) in the first open session two weeks ago and he didn’t scrimmage on Saturday.

But there’s this. I spoke with a UA Football parent during the event and this parent said to me, “Khalil Tate has been the best quarterback in Fall Camp. He can make all the throws and he’s more accurate than Dawkins.”

I can’t say that because I haven’t seen it but it seemed crystal clear to this particular parent, that Khalil has taken huge strides forward.
Ch 4 with some fluff video on player interviews. No football info, but you learn more about a couple player's personalities and talents.
ANGCatFan

Post by ANGCatFan »

Irish27

Post by Irish27 »

I would guess after the UTEP game we will know who the starter will be.
2019 & 2021 Basketball RAP Winner/2022 Football RAP Winner
ANGCatFan

Post by ANGCatFan »

Zona zealots interview Lamont Lovett. Here's what Lovett has seen at practice:
ZZ: You are able to attend practice, not as media, but as an analyst, who is impressing you at this point in training camp?

LL: On defense Scottie Young, is really good. Fast and smart. The Linebackers [all freshmen] have been good: Schooler [Colin], Pandy [Anthony/Ant], Jalen Harris. Harris is undersized, but he still finds ways to get to the QB. He’s such a good pass rusher they may not be able to keep him off the field.

Jalen Harris and Kylan Wilborn, the two freshmen DE’s have looked like the best pass-rushers on the team at times. They are still developing, so I don’t think they are every down players yet, but I think you will see them in pass rush situations because they have made an impact in an area of need.

Kylan Wilborn is going to play. He’s a good pass rusher. Derek Boles (RS junior) is what you would call an anchor, and He plugs holes well. The defense is sooo much faster than last season.

Shawn Poindexter [senior] is going to surprise a lot of people. He’s much improved from last season. He presents match-up issues with his combination of size and speed. He can really run. Brian Casteel is the model of consistency. He’s strong and can block, catch, and runs good routes. Solid player. RB’s have looked great all camp.

Tight End’s have looked good as well. Trevor Wood will have an impact this season if fall camp has been an indication. He has made play after play in camp.
OSUCat

Post by OSUCat »

Have we heard much about the passing game and Dawkins/receivers? We have had a few comments on Poindexter having a breakout year, maybe that the TEs will see more passes, but little else. Is the secondary as good as described or are the receivers/QB bad play feeding into that? I ask, because it seems that this story line has been replicated in the past. Talk about secondary be a strong point and then it gets light up for 400 yards and 40 points, while the receivers can't get open at Seniors Center.
Formerly Lynx Rufus.
ANGCatFan

Post by ANGCatFan »

Here's an AG article from this weekend on the Sports Exchange. Key points:
In camp, true freshmen linebackers Tony Fields, Colin Schooler, JB Brown and Anthony Pandy all have made good impressions, working with the first- or second-team units with redshirt freshmen Jacob Calacion and Gavin Robertson, a converted safety.

MOST IMPORTANT PLAYER:

QB Brandon Dawkins

BREAKOUT STAR:

RB J.J. Taylor

NEWCOMER TO WATCH:

LB Tony Fields -- The all-state linebacker from Desert Pines High in Las Vegas enrolled early, which helped him catch the coaches' eyes and get a jump on his classmates at the position. He carried his strong spring practice into fall camp and is likely to start at weak-side linebacker. "I think Tony has a chance to be really good," linebackers coach Scott Boone said. "Tony's biggest strength is how hard he plays, and his biggest weakness is how he tries to make every play. He has to learn that his plays will come to him."
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Really beginning to feel that this defense will be much better than previous ones. I think we will be more physical up front and much faster.

I think we have some playmakers at safety that love to hit and we have better depth at CB and on the line than many might think.

I think Yates is a pretty solid guy and he has moved RR some on his philosophies. Excited to see what we have on the field
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
ramcat

Post by ramcat »

Merkin

Post by Merkin »

ramcat

Post by ramcat »

Another Good story.

http://scout.com/college/arizona/Articl ... -106381617" target="_blank
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

I'm starting to get a bit of optimism brewing.
Sid

Post by Sid »

azgreg wrote:I'm starting to get a bit of optimism brewing.
Try a few healthy splashes of Kettle One in that Koolaid and welcome to the club.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Sid wrote:
Try a few healthy splashes of Kettle One in that Koolaid and welcome to the club.
Maybe it was something I ate. :mrgreen:
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Yes, you are the only one!
ANGCatFan

Post by ANGCatFan »

Not the only one.

ImageImage

I'm drinking doubles and ready for JJ to juke himself onto the SC10 each week. I'm more optimistic about the D-line and the DBs then I was at the beginning of the summer. Now I'm just waiting to see if we can put together a passing game and the young linebackers to prove they're ready. Oh, and I know we have a quality tight end, I'm just not sure it the coach wants the ball thrown his way.

It also helps that I've stopped listening to the naysayers and I'm focused on the positives.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Merkin wrote:
#badfans
Sid

Post by Sid »

azgreg wrote:
Merkin wrote:
#badfans
#badfans.......#JJwillchangethat

Gulp. Awwww...
threenumberones

Post by threenumberones »

ANGCatFan wrote:Not the only one.

ImageImage

I'm drinking doubles and ready for JJ to juke himself onto the SC10 each week. I'm more optimistic about the D-line and the DBs then I was at the beginning of the summer. Now I'm just waiting to see if we can put together a passing game and the young linebackers to prove they're ready. Oh, and I know we have a quality tight end, I'm just not sure it the coach wants the ball thrown his way.

It also helps that I've stopped listening to the naysayers and I'm focused on the positives.
I keep coming back to 2014. We weren't supposed to be shit, picked fourth in the South. Holes all over the team. No one gave us a chance. Yet we won the division on a gimp and a prayer. That team had a swagger and this one is developing one. I do like the inertia and it feels a lot like it did in '14..

And the best part of '14 is that Chief disappeared for a whole year. :lol:
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

ImageImage

ANGCatFan

Post by ANGCatFan »

chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

threenumberones wrote:

ImageImage

I keep coming back to 2014. We weren't supposed to be shit, picked fourth in the South. Holes all over the team. No one gave us a chance. Yet we won the division on a gimp and a prayer. That team had a swagger and this one is developing one. I do like the inertia and it feels a lot like it did in '14..

I never disappeared. I was on here and Scout and Twitter. Cats still had Stoops O-line in 2014 and the rest of the South was a train wreck. I never disappear....it's funny that you think that.
threenumberones

Post by threenumberones »

chiefzona wrote:
threenumberones wrote:

ImageImage

I never disappeared. I was on here and Scout and Twitter. Cats still had Stoops O-line in 2014 and the rest of the South was a train wreck. I never disappear....it's funny that you think that.
Bull. Shit. You spewed the same doom and gloom you always do in August and as soon as we beat Oregon, your posts faded almost entirely. We didn't hear hardly anything from you until the next year when we were back in the shitstorm. Just like Trump I'm sure you would like to rewrite history..
Gladiator Cat

Post by Gladiator Cat »

What an abject disgusting feeling of surreal emptiness it is to come to this site and have to read the most vile and disgusting, slanderous, filthy, unfair and totally untrue fabrications from the deranged, snowflake left progressive Marxists of our day as it relates to our nations President. Utterly shameful.

If this is the kind of repulsive shit that the University of Arizona is pumping out as students and Alumni or is teaching as a viable thought process, I can assure you, my children will never set foot on this campus nor will my depreciating dollars ever fund this mindless shit as an avenue of higher learning.

Its long past time to shut this sick, mindless, infectious SJW BS consuming our nation down once and for all.
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

threenumberones wrote:
chiefzona wrote:
threenumberones wrote:

ImageImage

Bull. Shit. You spewed the same doom and gloom you always do in August and as soon as we beat Oregon, your posts faded almost entirely. We didn't hear hardly anything from you until the next year when we were back in the shitstorm. Just like Trump I'm sure you would like to rewrite history..
Wrong buddy. My doom and gloom was on Scout at that time and periodically I would come on here but I was full time on Twitter like always. I made the famous comment on Scout that sent posters into a frenzy.....there's dark clouds forming over the program. My reasoning was that RR's recruiting was garbage and could not sustain nor contain success. I was completely right and that's why most of my haters have gone into hiding. I was right about Casteel and his garbage and it pissed a lot of people off. Happy for the kids on the team that got that taste though. Trump? What's that got to do with anything? Hahahahaha!
ANGCatFan

Post by ANGCatFan »

Let's keep the train on the football track. I have know idea why GC's rant is in this thread and Chief is just being Chief talking about Chief. He can't help it. When Chief is mentioned Chief has to talk about Chief that is just what Chief does. Ignore him or ban him are the only options. Let's keep it on Wildcat football and I am excited to see what this year's team is going to look like and who is going to Beardown and play like Wildcats!

10 Freakin' Days!

Gladiator Cat

Post by Gladiator Cat »

AngCatfan, you seriously don't understand why my rant was here. Why are you giving these freaks a pass and I'm toast.

What I said needed to be said even though it wasn't related to football. But of course the new Orwellian world of SJW snowflakes and mindlessness must be tolerated at all costs. Delete away again.

Now there is no illusion any longer.
Gladiator Cat

Post by Gladiator Cat »

By the way Angcatfan, you're top of the line in my book. We are very lucky we have a someone of your skill-set to carry the Wildcat banner.

Thank you for you're understanding even if you do not agree. I'm sure no one else will.

I'll get back on point now.