THE USC Trojans Discussion & Predictions Thread

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

NYCat

THE USC Trojans Discussion & Predictions Thread

Post by NYCat »

Last edited by NYCat on Sun Oct 05, 2014 7:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
UAdevil

Re: THE USC Trojans Discussion, Scout & Predictions Thread

Post by UAdevil »

Win this one and all things become possible...lose a heart breaker and we're back to square one.
Love the 've! Stop with the: Would of - Could of - Should of - Must of - Might of
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Beat SC

Run it down their fucking throats.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

I remember when we were talking about 2-2 as a desired outcome from Cal, @Oregon, SC, & @Cougars. But now I'm feeling greedy.
AZCatGirl

Post by AZCatGirl »

ESPN 2 game. Time to make another national statement and prove Oregon wasn't a fluke.
“The reality is that the hardest games to win are over teams on their home court. Teams that don’t play those games can spin it however they want, but what they’re saying is, ‘We don’t want to lose in our non conference season.’" - Sean Miller
Gladiator Cat

Post by Gladiator Cat »

A win over USC and shit is about to get real in Tucson. Reaching 6-0 with wins over Oregon and USC and all of the sudden the possibilities are endless.

I think this team is starting to feel something special is about to happen and it all starts with Rich Rod. I wasn't thinking like this after the Cal game. But RR and Casteel have proven they can scheme with the best of them and have a team prepared for battle.

We are going to beat USC and move to 6-0 and when we do we will have finally arrived and RR will fully have put his stamp on the program.

Greg Byrne had better be talking with the wealthy boosters now because I think RR and the staff are going to need a raise after this year.

I'm officially drinking the “koolaid” and the doubting mentality is gone for me because I see a team that is confident, solid in most all areas and believes it can win every game. We had our early growing pains but we have gotten better and I expect us to continue to get better. Anu has turned out to be the X-factor and his development and savvy QB play has far exceeded my expectations and he should continue to gain confidence and fuel our success along with an improving defense.

A win over USC in a week in a loud sold out Arizona Stadium and this year officially becomes special.

Cats: 35

USC: 21
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Every week as we win the games just get bigger. This feels so much like 98 when we beat UDub and moved to 5-0 and came home and played UCLA. Hopefully this time the results are different
Last edited by azcat49 on Fri Oct 03, 2014 3:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
Gladiator Cat

Post by Gladiator Cat »

azcat49 wrote:Every week as we win the games just get bigger. This feels so much like 98 when we beat UDub and moved to 5-0 and came home and played UCLA. Hopegully this time the results are different

Yes sir 49,

It feels so good to be in the hunt and play the games that have a lot on the line. As long as RR is here I think that’s going to be a common occurrence with the football program.
azpenguin

Post by azpenguin »

I will be very curious to see how ASU does running the ball tomorrow. If USC doesn't shore up their run defense then Arizona will have a great opportunity to exploit that. They have a ball hawking secondary, but if the Cats establish the run at all then those DBs are going to have a tough time trying to cover all the speed demons at WR. That said, it is USC and they do have great athletes, so these guys aren't gonna roll over easily.

On another note - I still don't feel like RR has really opened the playbook up yet. I'm guessing we're going to be seeing a lot of WR sweeps and quick forward pitch plays this weekend. They're going to want to keep moving around and keep Williams out of the action and out of Solomon's face.

Beating Oregon was a big statement game. The opportunity that these guys have this week is even bigger. If they win this game... we'll be in uncharted waters as Wildcat fans, looking at possibilities that none of us have had the luxury to envision up until now. If they beat USC, then they get a bye week before two tough road games at Wazzu and UCLA. After that 3 of the last 4 are at home.
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

Genuinely pulling for you guys
UofAlum05

Post by UofAlum05 »

Not a must win but "a pretty f..king awesome" if we do win game.
dc4azcats

Post by dc4azcats »

Gladiator Cat wrote:A win over USC and shit is about to get real in Tucson. Reaching 6-0 with wins over Oregon and USC and all of the sudden the possibilities are endless.

I think this team is starting to feel something special is about to happen and it all starts with Rich Rod. I wasn't thinking like this after the Cal game. But RR and Casteel have proven they can scheme with the best of them and have a team prepared for battle.

We are going to beat USC and move to 6-0 and when we do we will have finally arrived and RR will fully have put his stamp on the program.

Greg Byrne had better be talking with the wealthy boosters now because I think RR and the staff are going to need a raise after this year.

I'm officially drinking the “koolaid” and the doubting mentality is gone for me because I see a team that is confident, solid in most all areas and believes it can win every game. We had our early growing pains but we have gotten better and I expect us to continue to get better. Anu has turned out to be the X-factor and his development and savvy QB play has far exceeded my expectations and he should continue to gain confidence and fuel our success along with an improving defense.

A win over USC in a week in a loud sold out Arizona Stadium and this year officially becomes special.

Agree GC.

Confidence is such a big deal at any level and the Cats are playing with a lot of confidence right now. Add that we will be at home on Saturday in front of a sell-out crowd and stuff is about to get crazy around here.

The craziest part about Arizona being 5-0 is we've yet to play a really good game. We've played well in the 2nd half of games and we've had one incredible 4th qtr, but we've yet to put together a complete game. Saturday night would be a great time to play a complete game.
azpenguin

Post by azpenguin »

If the Cats beat USC, I'm guessing there are going to be a lot of tickets sold for the last three games in a hurry. It would be about damn time, too; I don't think people really understand what Rodriguez has been building here.
BearDown89

Post by BearDown89 »

dc4azcats wrote:
Gladiator Cat wrote:A win over USC and shit is about to get real in Tucson. Reaching 6-0 with wins over Oregon and USC and all of the sudden the possibilities are endless.

Agree GC.

Confidence is such a big deal at any level and the Cats are playing with a lot of confidence right now. Add that we will be at home on Saturday in front of a sell-out crowd and stuff is about to get crazy around here.

The craziest part about Arizona being 5-0 is we've yet to play a really good game. We've played well in the 2nd half of games and we've had one incredible 4th qtr, but we've yet to put together a complete game. Saturday night would be a great time to play a complete game.
Good to be reading your posts again GC.

I'm watching the second half again now. Tyrell Johnson becomes more intriguing by the minute. He had some decent returns against Oregon. It's clear he's fast and he's going to break one soon. He should do it at home next Saturday against the Trojans.

What has to happen to get DaVonte Neal the ball? I'm dying to see #19 get something going.He's been out there, but not very involved.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Yeah Neal was all they talked about in camp. But all he has is 7 receptions for 70 yards and a is a distant #5 receiver with no rush attempts.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
Gladiator Cat

Post by Gladiator Cat »

DC, really good point about us not putting together a complete game yet this year. We really really need to follow this ORE win up with another big win. This is a huge oppertunity for the program.

I agree as well that confidence is a huge key to success. The young guys like McCall, Wilson, Anu, and Alsadek won thier positions outright and are battling like seasoned veterans and are making a name for themselves.

Stop and think about it for a minute, we have those four freshman just to name a few that are playing key roles and we'll have them in the system for years to come. Heck even Scooby is only a soph and he already the leader of the D.

The future is very bright.
Last edited by Gladiator Cat on Sat Oct 04, 2014 1:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gladiator Cat

Post by Gladiator Cat »

azpenguin wrote:If the Cats beat USC, I'm guessing there are going to be a lot of tickets sold for the last three games in a hurry. It would be about damn time, too; I don't think people really understand what Rodriguez has been building here.

azpenguin,

great point, we beat USC and the apathetic, reserved T-Town Cat fan will come alive with excitment. Greg and RR will finally get a few of those hard earned sold out games to help the bottom line and show our appreciation to the players and coaches for all of their hard work and success.

We've got to follow up ORE with a USC win though. I think the team will be ready and focused!
Gladiator Cat

Post by Gladiator Cat »

BearDown89 wrote:
dc4azcats wrote:

Agree GC.

Good to be reading your posts again GC.

I'm watching the second half again now. Tyrell Johnson becomes more intriguing by the minute. He had some decent returns against Oregon. It's clear he's fast and he's going to break one soon. He should do it at home next Saturday against the Trojans.

What has to happen to get DaVonte Neal the ball? I'm dying to see #19 get something going.He's been out there, but not very involved.

BD89, thanks for the kind words, very glad your here as well!

You guys are bringing up some great points! Tyrell Johnson could add another unexpected dimension we have not had in years. A big-time kick returner can ignite a team and put a dagger in the heart of the other team.

DaVonte Neal is another game breaker we have not had available. I think he has had some bad luck, but if he can get his game in the groove and get in the game that will give us speed, speed, and more speed.

We have so many play makers it is ridiculous, and if we can get everyone on the same page it could get very interesting down the stretch.
azpenguin

Post by azpenguin »

I'm not sure if Neal is still at 100% yet. But like I said, I still don't feel like RR has really started opening the playbook yet.

Tyrell Johnson is going to break one for a TD this year. That speed is just ridiculous.
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

azpenguin wrote:I'm not sure if Neal is still at 100% yet. But like I said, I still don't feel like RR has really started opening the playbook yet.

Tyrell Johnson is going to break one for a TD this year. That speed is just ridiculous.

Although those wheel routes to our RB's is something we haven't seen too much this year. Nice to see us throw a few more wrinkles into the gameplan on offense.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Anu will need to be more of a running threat in this game. We can wear them down if we can string gist downs together but we can't let there talented line and backers just run down hill.
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

USC looks like shit excluding their punt return TD.
cats101

Post by cats101 »

I think the RBs for Arizona will have a big day. USC seems to be physical, I think they will probably be a slight favorite. The offensive play calling for Oregon was terrible, flat out terrible and I don't think USC will have that problem. I think the momentum continues and Az wins by a TD.

BTW what I mean by bad playing calling for Oregon is I don't feel they played to their strength, although their line probably didn't help the situation.
Last edited by cats101 on Sat Oct 04, 2014 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
boat343

Post by boat343 »

azcat49 wrote:Every week as we win the games just get bigger. This feels so much like 98 when we beat UDub and moved to 5-0 and came home and played UCLA. Hopefully this time the results are different
Exactly what I thought!
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

Gilbertcat

Post by Gilbertcat »

Az 45 USC 21
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Well SC will be wounded and embarrassed and will play with great resolve and urgency. We will win because RR will take Sark to the coaching woodshed
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

They might be extra motivated and hungry or fall apart as a team. Hopefully they're mentally weak.
Gladiator Cat

Post by Gladiator Cat »

I'll bet there is some serious finger pointing in the USC locker room today.

Don't kid yourself, USC is very average but they will be dangerous.
Sage&Silver

Post by Sage&Silver »

Solid Verbal guys starting... #SARKTOBER

I like it.
Good For You

Post by Good For You »

azcat49 wrote:Every week as we win the games just get bigger. This feels so much like 98 when we beat UDub and moved to 5-0 and came home and played UCLA. Hopefully this time the results are different
if we lose this week and then run the table I'll take it.
OSUCat

Post by OSUCat »

I hear the USC players are blaming the coaches, publicaly. Is this true?
Formerly Lynx Rufus.
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

If Kessler is the leader & Sark is the coach, I have slightly higher confidence on Saturday.

BTW ASU & DJ Foster only rushed for 31 yards, they were averaging in the mid 200s
Last edited by NYCat on Sat Oct 04, 2014 9:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

On the one hand...usc losing could be bad, cause they could come in thinking this game is now a huge must win game to save their season (since we'll be ranked)....

On the other hand, if this causes locker room issues such as players blaming coaches etc. (as has been noted already, players are already saying they didn't know what to do on the play) then maybe usc falls apart and makes the game easy for us....

Either way, if we're going to really make that Oregon game result matter, we can't afford to lose to USC.
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

Gladiator Cat

Post by Gladiator Cat »

Its amazing because no one and I mean no one in the media is giving the Cats an ounce of respect for the ORE win.

All the talking points are centerd around how Oregon got screwed with a few calls.

If we are ever going to gain a freaking sliver of respect we must beat this demoralized USC team even though they are down and coached by a clown.
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

Ted Miller is actually putting the Cats into national playoff contention, as is Mark May. Not playing the "no respect" card this time.

And USC's cbs are even bigger morons than I labeled them as if they really didn't know where to be on the Hail Mary. Nothing matters but the end zone.
Gladiator Cat

Post by Gladiator Cat »

catgrad97 wrote:Ted Miller is actually putting the Cats into national playoff contention, as is Mark May. Not playing the "no respect" card this time.

And USC's cbs are even bigger morons than I labeled them as if they really didn't know where to be on the Hail Mary. Nothing matters but the end zone.

97 thats great, but from what I've seen they are the only two that are. Everyone else just cries tears for Oregon and how a bad call cost them the game, not how Arizona went to Eugene and won a huge game.

Thats just the reality.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

PieceOfMeat wrote:On the one hand...usc losing could be bad, cause they could come in thinking this game is now a huge must win game to save their season (since we'll be ranked)....

On the other hand, if this causes locker room issues such as players blaming coaches etc. (as has been noted already, players are already saying they didn't know what to do on the play) then maybe usc falls apart and makes the game easy for us....
In the lockerroom after the game the guys answering questions were freshmen. That strikes me as a team with fundamental leadership issues.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

Fall back into the pack or pull ahead, beating SC is critical on Saturday.

Last edited by NYCat on Sat Oct 04, 2014 11:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Gilbertcat

Post by Gilbertcat »

Glad tempe won. Players were watching and know whats coming. I think the Oregon win is behind them and allows focus. Especially after the Cal game last home game, this time they give the home fans a reason to stay the whole game.
Last edited by Gilbertcat on Sat Oct 04, 2014 11:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gladiator Cat

Post by Gladiator Cat »

As far as real implications are concerned the USC game is as big a game as we have ever had in the modern era. And if we win, the next game becomes the next one and so on.

We need to break through and take the next step!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Gilbertcat

Post by Gilbertcat »

Also with UCLA losing, players have to feel any team is beatable. Including Az if they remember the last WSU game. If this was the SEC West, people would see how tough the South is.
Gladiator Cat

Post by Gladiator Cat »

OMG,..............a sold out Arizona Stadium is going to be electric on Saturday! This USC game is beyond huge!
SDCAT23

Post by SDCAT23 »

I'm assuming both teams will be ranked despite USCs close loss last night. I think that means it's UofAs first home game against ranked teams since the Iowa game? The atmosphere was great that night if you guys remember.

Even after Oregon I remain cautiously optimistic about our chances to win the south, that first half against Cal still worries me. USC is a good team I'd like to see our guys play a complete game and win by 10. I wasn't really paying attention last night but I checked the box score, where was ASUs run game against USC? I hope we'll be able to use a more balanced attack on Saturday.
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

Well, we certainly have the advantage when it comes to Hail Mary's...
Dosia

Post by Dosia »

This is the game Arizona always seems to lose. We will have turned the corner if RR can rally the troops and beat the Trojans. I think the Cats can do it.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Gladiator Cat wrote:
catgrad97 wrote:Ted Miller is actually putting the Cats into national playoff contention, as is Mark May. Not playing the "no respect" card this time.

97 thats great, but from what I've seen they are the only two that are. Everyone else just cries tears for Oregon and how a bad call cost them the game, not how Arizona went to Eugene and won a huge game.

Thats just the reality.
Yup, even in weekend recaps today, its "Ole Miss trounces a tough Bama team, followed by SEC bukake" vs "Oregon lost one to Arizona on Thursday". Moving on to the SEC West, the 9th best NFL division...
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

We should throw the Hail Mary every play until SC proves they have the testicular fortitude to stop it.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

According to Hansen asof Saturday 55K tickets have already been sold. Going to be electric
azpenguin

Post by azpenguin »

If I'm not mistaken, this is going to be the first sellout since the LSFF project was completed. It's time to see just how loud Arizona Stadium can get.

This is Arizona's big chance to finally break through. This is the biggest game possibly in Arizona Stadium history to this point (stay with me here...) Looking back on 1985 vs. UCLA, that was a game that would most likely have sent the Cats to Pasadena. They came out flat and lost. 1998, again UCLA... Cats were 5-0 and lost; that one bad quarter probably cost them a shot at the national title and did cost them the Rose Bowl. 2009 vs. Oregon... don't want to dredge that up again. Last year it was yet again UCLA in the biggest conference game in four years, a chance to take control of the South, and a chance to see where the Cats really were at as a team; UCLA did their best to hand the game over on a silver platter and Arizona just couldn't take it. This is that chance to finally win that big one. A win means 6-0. A win means a 2 game lead on USC and possibly on UCLA as well. A win possibly means top 10. A win means a chance to take a week off, heal up, study film and get ready for a second half of the season with the catbird seat in the Pac-12 and roadies at WSU and UCLA coming up. Everything's possible if they win this one. With what's at stake and the road ahead, with the opportunity that these guys have, with the chance to finally prove themselves, with the nation starting to notice... there's never been a bigger chance for Arizona to make a statement at home.