2017 recruits/commitment thread

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Chicat

Re: 2017 recruits/commitment thread

Post by Chicat »

Looks like we almost lost Jalen Harris to Notre Dame, but he just tweeted...
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Carcassdragger

Post by Carcassdragger »

Hoping for a (some) last minute surprise(s).
2020 BEARDOWN WILDCATS RAP Champion
2018 BEARDOWN WILDCATS SURVIVAL POOL Champion
2017 BEARDOWN WILDCATS RAP Champion
2013 GOAZCATS SURVIVAL POOL Champion
whatisee

Post by whatisee »

Chicat wrote:Looks like we almost lost Jalen Harris to Notre Dame, but he just tweeted...
Great news right there.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Yep. I think My-King will have an earlier impact but losing a legacy like that would hurt.

Lots of nice defensive pieces in this class, especially at end and LB.
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

http://informedathlete.com/old-shirt-ne ... lue-shirt/" target="_blank
A recent visitor to our Informed Athlete website asked me about the term “blue shirt athlete.” He had been told by his recruiting coach that he would be a “blue shirt,” and he wondered if he would lose a year of eligibility because of it.
It was the first time I’ve had a question about it, and is a term that I hadn’t heard myself until recently. So, with that in mind, I’ll explain what all these different colors of shirts mean (in athletic terms, of course!!) and how they are, or should be, applied.

Red shirt athlete – This is an old term that many of you have heard of, but is sometimes misunderstood. When a college athlete is redshirted, that simply means that they have not used one of their four seasons of college eligibility.
With few exceptions, if a college athlete plays in even just a minute of one game or match against another team, or only gets a couple of tackles or at bats or a couple of innings pitched for their team during a season, they have used one full season of eligibility.
I regularly get questions from athletes or parents who wonder if they can still redshirt because they’ve only played in a limited number of games or minutes, or only competed in their event a couple of times that season. In most cases, they are confusing this with a medical hardship waiver.

A medical hardship waiver can be sought by a college athlete (their school must do this on their behalf) when they have become injured or ill to the extent that they can’t compete any more during that season. There are rules in place that vary between NCAA Division I, Division II, Division III, NAIA, and NJCAA, but the basic principle is the same to obtain the waiver. The school must submit medical documentation to support the request for the waiver and demonstrate that the athlete wasn’t healthy enough to complete the season.

Gray shirt athlete– This term is used to designate a high school athlete who is delaying their initial enrollment in a college. The athlete, usually an NCAA Division I football athlete (which is where the term began), doesn’t enroll in college in the Fall immediately after high school graduation, but will delay enrollment until the Spring semester.
The primary reason has historically been because a university doesn’t want to consider the football athlete to be an “initial counter” until the following academic year because they’re already at their initial counter limit. NCAA Division I has a limit of 25 “initial counters” for Football Bowl Subdivision (FBS) teams, and 30 for Football Championship Subdivision (FCS) teams, during each academic year.
Another reason (often for sports other than football) can be because the athlete wants to delay the start of their “five-year clock.”

Green shirt athlete– This term is new, but refers to a strategy that has been in place in college football for at least ten years now. The term is used for Fall sport athletes (again, primarily in football, but increasingly for soccer, volleyball, etc.) who graduate from high school a semester early. The reason is to enroll in college and participate in spring practice in their sport so that they can learn the plays, train with their team, and bond with their teammates before their initial Fall season.

Blue shirt athlete– The practice of “over-signing” in the sport of NCAA Division I football has been around for a long time. However, until recently, colleges often worked through those over-signings by convincing a high school athlete to start out at a junior college and then transfer later on, or to delay their enrollment for a semester (“gray shirt”).
The “blue shirt” approach is basically the same as a “gray shirt” with one very significant difference. Whereas a gray shirt athlete is delaying their enrollment at the university until the Spring semester, a “blue shirt” will enroll in the Fall, and attend as a walk-on athlete without a scholarship for at least the first semester.
This will allow them to participate in practices, and perhaps even play in games as a true freshman, and then get a scholarship later on. As a walk-on during at least the first semester, they will postpone counting as an “initial counter” until the following academic year. In addition, if they come in as a non-recruited walk-on, this may present some advantages as well if they will be receiving non-athletic scholarships such as academic scholarships, or legacy scholarships.
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

catinfl wrote:
Chicat wrote:
He's a legacy and he is blueshirting. Dude has wheels according to his hudl he runs a 4.37 and his film backs it up. Not a bad pickup and a local kid.

http://www.hudl.com/profile/3935786/dj-hinton" target="_blank

It's definitely a decent pick up. One of my family members played on the same offense with him. I got to watch them a few times and I was pleasantly surprised. He's a good kid and he's fast as hell. Needs some work on cuts and acceleration but he is very coachable.
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

Chicat wrote:
chiefzona wrote:
gronk4heisman wrote:I would say this is the least hyped signing day I can recall as an Arizona football fan. Tells you all you need to know about the trajectory of the program, especially when all season long the coach was hyping this class up.

Didn't Byrne even hype the class at one point? Out the door......
Maybe I'm misunderstanding, but are you saying Byrne would have turned down Alabama if the recruiting class was better?

Not hardly.
3goggles

Post by 3goggles »

Any way we get Greg Johnson to recommit???
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

3goggles wrote:Any way we get Greg Johnson to recommit???
Not unless Donte comes back too according to Scheer. Committed to coach not the school.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
3goggles

Post by 3goggles »

UAEebs86 wrote:
Not unless Donte comes back too according to Scheer. Committed to coach not the school.
I know it's not going to happen but we can pray for a miracle can't we?
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

3goggles wrote:
UAEebs86 wrote:
I know it's not going to happen but we can pray for a miracle can't we?
In that case I'll pray for a BJ from Olivia Munn.
CatsbyAZ

Post by CatsbyAZ »

gronk4heisman wrote:I would say this is the least hyped signing day I can recall as an Arizona football fan. Tells you all you need to know about the trajectory of the program, especially when all season long the coach was hyping this class up.
I completely agree. A total dud of a signing day and I've been following Arizona signing days since about 2008 or 2009.

In any case, Welcome Jalen Harris!
“The force behind the movement of time is a mourning that will not be comforted.” author Marilynne Robinson
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

whatisee

Post by whatisee »

Rhedi Short S
Kurtis Brown DT
Lucas Havrisik K
Bryce Gilbert TE

All signed
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Harris is in as well
whatisee

Post by whatisee »

We have a flipper

3* RB Gary Brightwell from the Temple Owls...he's from Delaware. We needed that

http://247sports.com/Player/Gary-Brightwell-83917" target="_blank
whatisee

Post by whatisee »

Rhedi Short S
Kurtis Brown DT
Lucas Havrisik K
Bryce Gilbert TE
Jalen Harris DE
Gary Brightwell RB

All Wildcats

Cody Shear flips to Oregon lol
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Wow on Shear. That must have been a last minute offer
We lost at least 5 players to those bitches
Last edited by azcat49 on Wed Feb 01, 2017 9:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
whatisee

Post by whatisee »

azcat49 wrote:Wow on Shear. That's have been a last minute offer
We lost at least 5 players to those bitches
Tell all our guys that RR is a lame duck coach. (go take a look at their message boards) Add in Nike and the kids are bobble heads all of the sudden for Oregon. At least it's a position we're deep in, but next year we need at least 5 new OL's.
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

Schear flip is more funny than anything. He completely bedazzled and courted Arizona....big hole to fill on the board.
whatisee

Post by whatisee »

Scott Young S
Drew Dixon WR
Rhett Rodriguez QB

All Wildcats

New Wildcats
Sionne Taufahema DT
Nathan Tilford RB
Rhedi Short S
Kurtis Brown DT
Lucas Havrisik K
Bryce Gilbert TE
Jalen Harris DE
Gary Brightwell RB
Scott Young S
Drew Dixon WR
Rhett Rodriguez QB
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Brightwell? Who is that? Fu*k Oregon
whatisee

Post by whatisee »

Tony Wallace CB is a Wildcat

Wildcats
Sionne Taufahema DT
Nathan Tilford RB
Tony Wallace CB
Rhedi Short S
Kurtis Brown DT
Lucas Havrisik K
Bryce Gilbert TE
Jalen Harris DE
Gary Brightwell RB
Scott Young S
Drew Dixon WR
Rhett Rodriguez QB
whatisee

Post by whatisee »

chiefzona wrote:Schear flip is more funny than anything. He completely bedazzled and courted Arizona....big hole to fill on the board.
There are a number of other players who we lost who have a bigger impact than this guy. He wasn't coming in and starting right away, so he's really a non issue other than the drama
gronk4heisman

Post by gronk4heisman »

One OL, Two WR's, and just a walk on (in stature) QB in this class. Yet we are adding 6 DB's and 6 LB's after adding 6 and 3 respectively last year. Not sure I get the numbers, I guess some of the LBs could play DE, but still.
gronk4heisman

Post by gronk4heisman »

azcat49 wrote:Brightwell? Who is that? Fu*k Oregon
Didn't realize Oregon took Bruce Judson who we were looking at as a substitute for Burmiester the first time he waffled.
whatisee

Post by whatisee »

azcat49 wrote:Brightwell? Who is that? Fu*k Oregon
Kid out of Baltimore by way of Delaware who was committed to Temple and flipped to us. He recently took an official visit here. Tony Dews recruit
whatisee

Post by whatisee »

gronk4heisman wrote:One OL, Two WR's, and just a walk on (in stature) QB in this class. Yet we are adding 6 DB's and 6 LB's after adding 6 and 3 respectively last year. Not sure I get the numbers, I guess some of the LBs could play DE, but still.
I guess you haven't been watching Arizona football the past couple years and noticed the complete lack of anything from the dendefsive side of the ball. I see some JC's heading our way to cover for the imbalance in recruitment, but it's needed
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

whatisee wrote:
chiefzona wrote:Schear flip is more funny than anything. He completely bedazzled and courted Arizona....big hole to fill on the board.
There are a number of other players who we lost who have a bigger impact than this guy. He wasn't coming in and starting right away, so he's really a non issue other than the drama

The point being number of players lost who have bigger impact. The O-line is one of the most important areas for Arizona and the need to pick up a solid recruit there and not miss out is as big of impact as there is. Also, Arizona had him signing so the back up plan gets missed as well. A transfer or late JC kid might help a little. You don't recruit to have players start away and if you do, you don't make it a habit. If it's a habit you're doing something wrong.
UALoco

Post by UALoco »

Voices in my head:
I am sitting here looking at the season ticket renewal information for next year. Two months ago, I would have signed on the dotted line and handed my cash over. I pounded the table about being a good fan. Today, I am shaking my head thinking whether it is worth the money, time, and heartache. I will definitely hit a few games and tailgate my ass off...but will I continue to dive in head first? DW is gone. GB is gone. 6 and counting highly touted fball recruits are gone. I am no longer part of the F.A.N. Alliance.

I have bball season tix now. It is so much easier to support bball now that they are kicking ass again. Signing the #1 recruit in the nation. We are back among the basketball "ELITE." Am I a fair weather fan? Have I gone to the Arizona dark side? Football is my true love but tracking AZ football has taken many years off my life and made me a bitter sports fan. Seeing AZ lose to Oregon at the P12 Championship game, Boise in the Fiesta Bowl, Stanford in Santa Clara and UCLA in Pasadena, and oh so many losses at home last year. I need some positivity in my life, the ASU win was good but Arizona Bball is delivering the goods for me. I even have the trip all planned hit Vegas for the P12 tourney. Re-up'd Dish network to keep catching games on P12 network. I am not a bad person, am I? :oops:
Last edited by UALoco on Wed Feb 01, 2017 9:43 am, edited 2 times in total.
whatisee

Post by whatisee »

Edgar Burrola OT
Jose Ramirez LB

are Wildcats

Wildcats
Sionne Taufahema DT
Nathan Tilford RB
Tony Wallace CB
Edgar Burrola OT
Jose Ramirez LB
Rhedi Short S
Kurtis Brown DT
Lucas Havrisik K
Bryce Gilbert TE
Jalen Harris DE
Gary Brightwell RB
Scott Young S
Drew Dixon WR
Rhett Rodriguez QB
whatisee

Post by whatisee »

Troy Young S is a Wildcat

Wildcats
Sionne Taufahema DT
Nathan Tilford RB
Tony Wallace CB
Troy Young S
Edgar Burrola OT
Jose Ramirez LB
Rhedi Short S
Kurtis Brown DT
Lucas Havrisik K
Bryce Gilbert TE
Jalen Harris DE
Gary Brightwell RB
Scott Young S
Drew Dixon WR
Rhett Rodriguez QB
prh

Post by prh »

UALoco wrote:Voices in my head:
I am sitting here looking at the season ticket renewal information for next year. Two months ago, I would have signed on the dotted line and handed my cash over. I pounded the table about being a good fan. Today, I am shaking my head thinking whether it is worth the money, time, and heartache. I will definitely hit a few games and tailgate my ass off...but will I continue to dive in head first? DW is gone. GB is gone. 6 and counting highly touted fball recruits are gone. I am no longer part of the F.A.N. Alliance.

I have bball season tix now. It is so much easier to support bball now that they are kicking ass again. Signing the #1 recruit in the nation. We are back among the basketball "ELITE." Am I a fair weather fan? Have I gone to the Arizona dark side? Football is my true love but tracking AZ football has taken many years off my life and made me a bitter sports fan. Seeing AZ lose to Oregon at the P12 Championship game, Boise in the Fiesta Bowl, Stanford in Santa Clara and UCLA in Pasadena, and oh so many losses at home last year. I need some positivity in my life, the ASU win was good but Arizona Bball is delivering the goods for me. I even have the trip all planned hit Vegas for the P12 tourney. Re-up'd Dish network to keep catching games on P12 network. I am not a bad person, am I? :oops:
No
whatisee

Post by whatisee »

My-King Johnson DE Is a Wildcat. Big late pickup imo

Wildcats
My-King Johnson DE
Sionne Taufahema DT
Nathan Tilford RB
Tony Wallace CB
Troy Young S
Edgar Burrola OT
Jose Ramirez LB
Rhedi Short S
Kurtis Brown DT
Lucas Havrisik K
Bryce Gilbert TE
Jalen Harris DE
Gary Brightwell RB
Scott Young S
Drew Dixon WR
Rhett Rodriguez QB
whatisee

Post by whatisee »

Anthony Pandy LB is now a Wildcat

Wildcats 17 commits
My-King Johnson DE
Anthony Pandy LB
Sionne Taufahema DT
Nathan Tilford RB
Tony Wallace CB
Troy Young S
Edgar Burrola OT
Jose Ramirez LB
Rhedi Short S
Kurtis Brown DT
Lucas Havrisik K
Bryce Gilbert TE
Jalen Harris DE
Gary Brightwell RB
Scott Young S
Drew Dixon WR
Rhett Rodriguez QB
whatisee

Post by whatisee »

Josh Brown LB is now a Wildcat

Wildcats 18 commits
My-King Johnson DE
Josh Brown LB
Anthony Pandy LB
Sionne Taufahema DT
Nathan Tilford RB
Tony Wallace CB
Troy Young S
Edgar Burrola OT
Jose Ramirez LB
Rhedi Short S
Kurtis Brown DT
Lucas Havrisik K
Bryce Gilbert TE
Jalen Harris DE
Gary Brightwell RB
Scott Young S
Drew Dixon WR
Rhett Rodriguez QB
Carcassdragger

Post by Carcassdragger »

No Schooler yet? C'mon buddy, get on board.
Carcassdragger

Post by Carcassdragger »

Looking for Hinton too. Let's go!
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

Looks like our class should end up ranked around #34.... about where expected.

Coaches did a good job stopping the bleeding of defections and picking up a couple good prospects late.

https://n.rivals.com/team_rankings/" target="_blank
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

azgreg wrote:

Never a question there.
whatisee

Post by whatisee »

Tony Fields OLB
Brian Casteel WR

are Wildcat's

Wildcats 20 commits
My-King Johnson DE
Josh Brown LB
Anthony Pandy LB
Sionne Taufahema DT
Nathan Tilford RB
Brian Casteel WR
Tony Wallace CB
Tony Fields OLB
Troy Young S
Edgar Burrola OT
Jose Ramirez LB
Rhedi Short S
Kurtis Brown DT
Lucas Havrisik K
Bryce Gilbert TE
Jalen Harris DE
Gary Brightwell RB
Scott Young S
Drew Dixon WR
Rhett Rodriguez QB
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Bryce Wolma is in.
whatisee

Post by whatisee »

Bryce Wolma TE is a Wildcat

Wildcats 21 commits
My-King Johnson DE
Josh Brown LB
Anthony Pandy LB
Sionne Taufahema DT
Bryce Wolma TE
Nathan Tilford RB
Brian Casteel WR
Tony Wallace CB
Tony Fields OLB
Troy Young S
Edgar Burrola OT
Jose Ramirez LB
Rhedi Short S
Kurtis Brown DT
Lucas Havrisik K
Bryce Gilbert TE
Jalen Harris DE
Gary Brightwell RB
Scott Young S
Drew Dixon WR
Rhett Rodriguez QB

waiting on...
Wilborn, Bell, Schooler, Hausman,
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

What's the deal with Schooler?.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

azcat49 wrote:What's the deal with Schooler?.
He's in along with Xavier Bell.
whatisee

Post by whatisee »

Xavier Bell S
Colin Schooler LB

are now Arizona Wildcats

Wildcats 23 commits
My-King Johnson DE
Xavier Bell S
Colin Schooler LB
Josh Brown LB
Anthony Pandy LB
Sionne Taufahema DT
Bryce Wolma TE
Nathan Tilford RB
Brian Casteel WR
Tony Wallace CB
Tony Fields OLB
Troy Young S
Edgar Burrola OT
Jose Ramirez LB
Rhedi Short S
Kurtis Brown DT
Lucas Havrisik K
Bryce Gilbert TE
Jalen Harris DE
Gary Brightwell RB
Scott Young S
Drew Dixon WR
Rhett Rodriguez QB
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

azcat49 wrote:What's the deal with Schooler?.

Sent it in while having lunch with the fam. They're an hour behind.
whatisee

Post by whatisee »

whatisee

Post by whatisee »

Kylan Wilborn DE is now a Wildcat

Wildcats 24 commits
My-King Johnson DE
Xavier Bell S
Colin Schooler LB
Josh Brown LB