2014 Bowl Projections

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Irish27

2014 Bowl Projections

Post by Irish27 »

The first year of the playoffs and here is the first prediction for the bowls.
http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootbal ... redictions
2019 & 2021 Basketball RAP Winner/2022 Football RAP Winner
OSUCat

Re: 2014 Bowl Projections

Post by OSUCat »

I'm sure Arizona fans would be fine with the Buffalo Wild Wings in Tempe against Notre Dame.
Formerly Lynx Rufus.
KillerKlown

Post by KillerKlown »

I'm down with that. My guess would be Boise St in some other bowl. Would definitely rather play ND though.
Mike Luke's burner account.
BMalo

Post by BMalo »

I would love the BWW bowl against ND. Would be best bowl we've been to in a while.
Irish27

Post by Irish27 »

Irish27

Post by Irish27 »

wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

I just hope we aren't in the Bitcoin Bowl. The number of bowls has gotten out of hand, and apparently they are scraping the bottom of the barrel for sponsors....Bitcoin??? C'mon, Man!!
ANGCatFan

Post by ANGCatFan »

OK, here is a bowl projection for you. Vavel, an international sports newpaper (who I had never heard of before this article), picked the teams from the power 5 conferences who could be surprise finalist for the inaugural college football playoffs.

The Wildcats have the toughest assignment of any of these potential surprise contenders. The competition for the Pac 12 title looks set to be formidable in 2014 with Stanford, Oregon, UCLA, Arizona State and potentially USC in the mix. This is not a conference where surprises seem likely. Arizona have to play four of those five, only missing out Stanford, and have to travel to play both Oregon and UCLA. They have to replace B.J. Denker and Ka’Deem Carey, at QB and RB respectively, and lose a number of starters from an improving defense.

Despite the hurdles, the Wildcats are more than capable of competing with every team on their schedule. They pushed UCLA close in the fourth quarter last season and handed Oregon a 42-16 defeat, a match the Wildcats approached with a terrific intensity and focus. They will need to replicate that approach with greater consistency if they are to succeed in 2014.

While the competitions to start at QB and RB remain open, there is enough talent at both spots to be confident that the Wildcats will have solid play in the backfield once again in 2014. They will be playing in a proven offensive system, so while there is unlikely to be an individual runner who can replace Ka’Deem Carey, there is enough athletic potential to ensure that the offense remains productive on the ground.

It would hugely benefit the Wildcats if the passing game is more productive than in 2013, when losses at WR made the passing game less effective and the offense easier to defend. However they enter the 2014 season with huge returning starters at both OT spots, Mickey Baucus and Fabbians Ebbele, and an abundance of talent at WR, led by the fit again Austin Hill. If one of the four QBs contending to start can master the offense, then the Wildcats will be able to score points against anyone.

Rich Rodriguez coached teams can always score, but they have often been let down by the defense. That was certainly the case while he was at Michigan, and was again evident in the defensive struggles of the 2012 Wildcats. That 2012 defense rarely generated stops which forced the offense into shootouts. They conceded 34.3 points and 485.7 yards per game, registered just 16 sacks and 12 interceptions, and allowed nine opponents to exceed 30 points. However, the defense took a huge step forward in 2013 when they conceded 24.7 points and 405.3 yards per game, registered 24 sacks and 18 interceptions, and allowed just four teams to exceed 30 points. They do need to break-in some new starters, but there is talent to work with, while the returning LB Scooby Wright and a talented secondary give the defense some solid experience.

Arizona should be a good team in 2014, but expecting them to emerge on top of in an extremely tough Pac 12 is too much to ask. They are the least likely of our five potential dark horse teams to contend for a playoff spot in 2014.
Sage&Silver

Post by Sage&Silver »

Why is an international publication more informed than journalist here in the US?

I'm not getting all homerish because the article had the Cats as a dark-horse. I'm even more pessimistic than the author about the chances of a shocker in this deep conference. But this seems more informed than most previews I've read. Position battles are interpreted outside of ND or USC or 'Bama as a lack of talent. UA is a tricky team to predict because there is loss of experience at key positions, but outside of RB the replacements have much higher ceilings. Finally, nobody seems to have looked at 2012 as an indications that yes, RR is capable to coaching a balanced offense.

My summary of domestic publications:
70% of UA's TD were on the ground, and almost all of them were from BJ or Ka'Deem. Therefore, no running game this year. What little passing attack the Cats had will suffer with the loss of their senior QB. The conclusion: Arizona's offensive outlook is very bleak. :roll:
RazorsEdgeAZ

Post by RazorsEdgeAZ »

Not sure if right topic to post in...
Athlon came out with this FAQ of sorts on the new College Football Playoff. Attempts to simplify the CFP process and how it will work for upcoming season(s). "Everything you need to know about the CFP"

http://athlonsports.com/college-footbal ... ll-playoff
BearDown89

Post by BearDown89 »

Sage&Silver wrote:Why is an international publication more informed than journalist here in the US?

My summary of domestic publications:
70% of UA's TD were on the ground, and almost all of them were from BJ or Ka'Deem. Therefore, no running game this year. What little passing attack the Cats had will suffer with the loss of their senior QB. The conclusion: Arizona's offensive outlook is very bleak. :roll:
ANGCatFan wrote:OK, here is a bowl projection for you. Vavel, an international sports newpaper (who I had never heard of before this article), picked the teams from the power 5 conferences who could be surprise finalist for the inaugural college football playoffs.
Pretty amazing isn't it, S&S? This guy actually took some time to do a little research and come up with some useful analysis. His name is Kevin Connaghan and he's a young guy writing from Belfast, UK (N. Ireland)! His primary focus is cycling. "An aspiring freelance journalist and blogger" interested in cycling, NFL and Michigan football.

Great find Ang, as usual, interesting website.
RazorsEdgeAZ

Post by RazorsEdgeAZ »

From USAToday: Power Five's CFB revenues will double what BCS paid (year one, base pay only)
The ACC, Big 12, Big Ten, Pac-12 and SEC each will draw a baseline amount of approximately $50 million in the first year of a 12-year contract.

In the final year of the BCS, the baseline distribution to the ACC, Big Ten, Big 12, Pac-12, SEC and American was $27.897 million

— As part of the base payout, each conference will receive $300,000 for each school that meets the NCAA's required APR for participation in a bowl game. (For example, if 10 teams met the requirement, a conference would receive $3 million.)

— Conferences will receive $6 million for each team selected as one of the four playoff participants. (There won't be additional funds for the teams that advance to the championship game.)

— Conferences will receive $4 million for every team selected for a non-playoff bowl (in 2014, the Cotton, Fiesta and Peach bowls).

— Each conference will receive $2 million to cover expenses for each participant in a semifinal, and for the championship game.

Revenue from the playoff does not include individual contracts conferences have with the bowls.

The Rose and Sugar Bowls – tied to the Big Ten and Pac-12 and Big 12 and SEC, respectively – will serve as semifinals for the playoff this season. But in 2015, when the Rose and Sugar aren't semifinals, those four leagues would each receive approximately $40 million (above the $50 million base payout from the College Football Playoff) from their contracts with those bowls.
http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nc ... /12734897/
Irish27

Post by Irish27 »

Irish27

Post by Irish27 »

Irish27

Post by Irish27 »

Irish27

Post by Irish27 »

Irish27

Post by Irish27 »

azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Love to see us play Michigan. The nowl oull sell,out in minutes and the tv ratings woild be really good I think
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

TuiTouchdown

Post by TuiTouchdown »

That would be a hell of a match. Let's hope we keep the tempo up and don't fall flat on our faces next week against SC.
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

NYCat wrote:Holiday Bowl - Nebraska

http://www.sbnation.com/college-footbal ... redictions
God no.

Please.
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

CalStateTempe wrote:
NYCat wrote:Holiday Bowl - Nebraska

http://www.sbnation.com/college-footbal ... redictions
God no.

Please.
Agreed. No more damn Holiday Bowls and no more rematches from past eras.

ECU in the Fiesta, please. Something new and challenging.

This is where the Pac-12 bowl contracts really chafe.
ghostwhitehorse

Post by ghostwhitehorse »

http://espn.go.com/blog/pac12/post/_/id ... s-week-6-4
Arizona is the lone undefeated team in the Pac-12 and is one win away from bowl eligibility. For the sake of argument, the Pac-12 blog is going to stick the Wildcats in that playoff spot. Because as of today, they have earned it. They have one of the biggest wins in college football, and they did it on the road. Next week it might be different. Maybe it won’t be. Who knows? Ted Miller lost the Pac-12 blog's crystal ball. This is why we can't have nice things.
College Football Playoff: Arizona
Fiesta Bowl: Oregon
Valero Alamo Bowl: UCLA
National University Holiday Bowl: Stanford
San Francisco Bowl: California
Hyundai Sun Bowl: Arizona State
Royal Purple Las Vegas Bowl: USC
Cactus Bowl: Washington
Heart of Dallas Bowl*: Utah

Fairly sure that is better than a damn Holiday Bowl. . .
Zona_Soccer10

Post by Zona_Soccer10 »

I would soil myself if Arizona held on to make the playoff. We have to stay humble though, even as we are undefeated, we're only a few moments away from being 3-2. Just take it a game at a time, and stay working hard. We have a great group of men, and a great staff.
btfd16

Post by btfd16 »

Zona_Soccer10 wrote:I would soil myself if Arizona held on to make the playoff. We have to stay humble though, even as we are undefeated, we're only a few moments away from being 3-2. Just take it a game at a time, and stay working hard. We have a great group of men, and a great staff.
we are a couple of mishaps from being even 2-3 or 1-4 gotta stay strong
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

The difference between 5-0 and 3-2 is slim for sure, but is often those differences that separate a good season from a dream season.
illcat

Post by illcat »

CalStateTempe wrote:The difference between 5-0 and 3-2 is slim for sure, but is often those differences that separate a good season from a dream season.
Exactly: Sometimes you get the bounces and the calls. Oregon comes to mind I've watched them long enough to see the calls phantom or legit go their way along with bounces. So I'm glad to see them getting a shove back into reality. So the Cats get a catch and a fumble. It all balances out in the end even if it takes this season or a couple of seasons down the road.
I mean I am not complaining but it must suck for good ugly girls.
--Officer Craig

You'll forgive DW99, he's used to the methed-out slores in Tempe ...
--Reydituto
azpenguin

Post by azpenguin »

Zona_Soccer10 wrote:I would soil myself if Arizona held on to make the playoff. We have to stay humble though, even as we are undefeated, we're only a few moments away from being 3-2. Just take it a game at a time, and stay working hard. We have a great group of men, and a great staff.
Arizona does not hold on to make the playoffs. They either go charging in with a full head of steam or they go to a non-playoff bowl. You wanna make the playoffs and you're not one of the "traditional" powers, you gotta attack - no holding on for dear life.
Irish27

Post by Irish27 »

ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Espn has us in the Alamo as well against Baylor. Phil Steele has us in the San Francisco bowl vs. Minnesota. College football news has us in the holiday bowl vs. Iowa.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Playing against Stoops D would be fun. Hard to see the Fiesta selecting CSU even though they have a history of taking the underdog.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Well the 4 non playoff "big" bowls are required to take the highest ranked non power 5 conference champion. Every year the highest ranked AAC, MWC, MAC, Sun belt or conference USA champ is required to be in one of the big 6 bowls.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
RazorsEdgeAZ

Post by RazorsEdgeAZ »

ASUHATER! wrote:Well the 4 non playoff "big" bowls are required to take the highest ranked non power 5 conference champion. Every year the highest ranked AAC, MWC, MAC, Sun belt or conference USA champ is required to be in one of the big 6 bowls.
Just adding CFP explanation for their Bowl assignment:

CFP:
All conferences negotiated individual bowl contracts for their champions. Five conferences have arranged contracts for their champions to play in New Year’s bowl games — Atlantic Coast (Orange), Big Ten (Rose), Big 12 (Sugar), Pac-12 (Rose), and Southeastern (Sugar).

The highest ranked champion of the other five Football Bowl Subdivision conferences (the American Athletic, Conference- USA, Mid-American, Mountain West and Sun Belt), as determined by the selection committee, will play in one of the six New Year’s bowls. Other available berths will be awarded to the teams ranked highest by the committee. The committee will assign teams to bowls.

When the Fiesta, Cotton and Atlanta bowls are not hosting semifinal games, their participants will come from three sources: (1) The highest ranked champion among the five conferences listed in the paragraph above, (2) conference champions that are displaced when their contracted bowls host semifinals and (3) the remaining teams ranked highest in the committee’s rankings.

If berths in the selected other bowl games remain available after those teams have been identified, the highest ranked other teams, as ranked by the committee, will fill those berths in rank order.

The committee will assign teams to the non-playoff bowls to create the most compelling matchups, while considering other factors such as geographic proximity, avoiding rematches of regular-season games and avoiding rematches of recent years’ bowl games.
3goggles

Post by 3goggles »

I am sorry but did I just read the think Colorado State will be in the Fiesta Bowl. My wife played softball at CSU so we watch them when we can but get the FUCK out of here thinking they belong in the Fiesta Bowl! WOW!
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

http://collegefootball.scout.com/story/ ... k-11?s=194

What? ASU gets a home game with Marshall while UA is headed for another beat down?

Fiesta Bowl
University of Phoenix Stadium, Glendale, AZ
Wednesday, Dec. 31, 4:00 ET ESPN
At-Large vs. ACC, Big Ten, Big 12, Pac-12 or SEC champ
Prediction: Marshall vs. Arizona State

National University Holiday Bowl
Qualcomm Stadium, San Diego, CA
Saturday, Dec. 27, 8:00 p.m. ET ESPN
Big Ten No. 4 vs. Pac-12 No. 3
Prediction: Nebraska vs. Arizona
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Rematch vs Nebraska in the Holiday to avenge those deamons. I could live with that
Irish27

Post by Irish27 »

PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

Alamo bowl vs Kansas St.

hmm
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

Irish27

Post by Irish27 »

Irish27

Post by Irish27 »

3goggles

Post by 3goggles »

So my guess is the think we beat ASu and Ucla losses to the trees and then we lose to Oregon
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

NYE in a BCS bowl. I can live with that
Machina

Post by Machina »

3goggles wrote:
So my guess is the think we beat ASu and Ucla losses to the trees and then we lose to Oregon
Not necessarily, Cats can still go to a selection bowl with a win over ASSU, UCLA beating Stanford and the Oregon beating UCLA
RazorsEdgeAZ

Post by RazorsEdgeAZ »

Key is to stay ranked CFB top 12 at end of season to nab bowl placement by CFB committee. Assuming likely committee would place Cats in Fiesta if CATS in the top10.

Not sure how CFB would rank lets say a UCLA or Oregon loss in the P12 championship game.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Cats are #12 in the latest AP poll ahead of ASSU. I think the committee has made those writers more accountable

Think I saw Oregon was 3 and UCLA was #9 and ASSU stayed at 13
azpenguin

Post by azpenguin »

If AZ ends up in one of the big six bowls against Michigan St., Ann Arbor is going to need a lot of therapy.
ghostwhitehorse

Post by ghostwhitehorse »

Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

ghostwhitehorse wrote:Fuck Cowherd with a pogostick. http://espn.go.com/college-football/pow ... show/first
That has to be a mistake.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

ghostwhitehorse wrote:Fuck Cowherd with a pogostick. http://espn.go.com/college-football/pow ... show/first
What a fucking joke. Utah at 21 but we're unranked? Did he miss the game yesterday?
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion