Why can't we consistently fill AZ Stadium?

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

scumdevils86

Re: Why can't we consistently fill AZ Stadium?

Post by scumdevils86 »

PHXCATS wrote:
CalStateTempe wrote:Over 8000 post buys you the expletive, Spiff.
I was just saying post count isn't an indication of how big or small of a fan you are.

Spiff is a good guy from what I can tell and a fan of the Cats for sure. If the potential word threw you off, my bad.
neither is how many games you go to or how much money you donate. none have anything to do with how good a fan you are. whatever that means.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

UAdevil wrote:
PHXCATS wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Rick Kane wrote:
azgreg wrote:Thanks Rick for keeping the bell curve up for all us bad fans.
I assume you don’t attend games or donate $100 a year to the program yet you have over 10,000 posts here...if true you are a worthless fucking fan
I don't attend football games or donate money, but my post count is only in the 7,000's. Where do I rank?
Potential fan, avid message board poster, non financial supporter.

Who cares what someone else things of your fandom? Some people are too sensitive about what people think about their fandom. Not you spiff.
But is that really the problem? I think the folks telling others what they think of their fandom is a bigger problem than those taking exception to that.
I dont know what to tell you as far as what is the bigger problem or what is actual a problem at all. All I know is that it seems like some people are taking things too seriously on all ends. Be confident in yourself and your own fandom. If someone thinks you arent a big enough fan, who cares, you will probably never see them in real life. I get followed around on this board by someone like they are a puppy and they talk mad trash every time. I know they arent worth it so I ignore it and never think about it after I see it and read it and laugh about how much they are obsessed. Someone who doesnt think you are big enough of a fan, just laugh it off and be confident in yourself.

We all go for the Cats in our own way. Be confident in that and realize that that is what is important and if you want to help the AD out financially, they could use it and are grateful for it and you do your small part on that side of the equation. If that isnt for you, you are still a fan and you still matter in life and arent any worse or better and thats good too.
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

machina, you started this whole good fan/bad fan thing years ago at TOS. own it. embrace it. don't walk back your rhetoric now. it is rather disingenuous to your persona.
UAdevil

Post by UAdevil »

scumdevils86 wrote:machina, you started this whole good fan/bad fan thing years ago at TOS. own it. embrace it. don't walk back your rhetoric now. it is rather disingenuous to your persona.
Yeah, there's that.
Love the 've! Stop with the: Would of - Could of - Should of - Must of - Might of
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

UAdevil wrote:
scumdevils86 wrote:machina, you started this whole good fan/bad fan thing years ago at TOS. own it. embrace it. don't walk back your rhetoric now. it is rather disingenuous to your persona.
Yeah, there's that.

From the TOS days: Aren't we supposed to grab our balls and yell "Bear Down!", or something like that, to prove our fanhood?
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

UAEebs86 wrote:
UAdevil wrote:
Yeah, there's that.

From the TOS days: Aren't we supposed to grab our balls and yell "Bear Down!", or something like that, to prove our fanhood?
:lol: there you go!
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

UAEebs86 wrote:
UAdevil wrote:
Yeah, there's that.

Doesnt hurt as long as you dont grab too tight. But I don't think that is a measure of fandom.
UAdevil

Post by UAdevil »

PHXCATS wrote:
UAEebs86 wrote:
UAdevil wrote:
Yeah, there's that.

Doesnt hurt as long as you dont grab too tight. But I don't think that is a measure of fandom.
...or twist. No twisting! :lol:
Love the 've! Stop with the: Would of - Could of - Should of - Must of - Might of
UALoco

Post by UALoco »

scumdevils86 wrote:
PHXCATS wrote:
I was just saying post count isn't an indication of how big or small of a fan you are.

Spiff is a good guy from what I can tell and a fan of the Cats for sure. If the potential word threw you off, my bad.
neither is how many games you go to or how much money you donate. none have anything to do with how good a fan you are. whatever that means.
I disagree. Many do. Oh well.
RazorsEdgeAZ

Post by RazorsEdgeAZ »

Merkin wrote:
Sure already mentioned. But Duh, 2012 is when new ESPN/Fox TV rights deal kicked in. Also when pac-12 Networks launched. So every UA game on TV starting 2012. Fox and ESPN bought rights to roughly 22 games each for primetime.
Under this deal, Fox and ESPN will split the rights to college football games. ESPN will air its games on cable as well as ABC; Fox will show its games on its broadcast network, basic cable network FX and on the Fox Sports Net (now FS1) regional networks.

ESPN will air four prime-time games on both Thursday and Friday nights, as well as a 10:30 p.m. ET/7:30 p.m. PT Saturday window for football. There will also be at least five Saturday night prime-time games on ABC or Fox.

"It is a historic deal for the conference and our university," Arizona athletic director Greg Byrne said. "It gives us a much-needed revenue stream and at the same time improves our ability to compete on a national level for many years to come."
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

I need to get into a political discussion with Bruins01 to boost my post count, huh?

I don't get judging other people's fandom. Some of us are more basketball fans, some more football. Some have a greater ability to contribute money to Arizona, some don't.

Personally, I have a job that is fairly stressful and can involve longer and inconsistent hours. That makes it tough for me to do season tickets to football or basketball. I love Wildcat basketball, but is it good to buy seats that I know I frequently won't use?

I also like spending time with my wife, so there's less of me going to sports events while she sits at home watching Channing Tatum movies and wishing I was Magic Mike. I love Arizona, but I'm not taking from my marriage for it. My wife is already exceptionally tolerant of things I do like sitting in a pitch black garage in a funk for 30 minutes after the 2015 Wisconsin loss. I don't need to push it.

Also, no disrespect to anyone here, but I don't really care if anyone thinks I'm a bad fan. In terms of things I aspire to be, a superfan is pretty far down that list. Sports are fun and rooting for the Cats is fun. I get into it emotionally, but you can't lose perspective. Christmas 2015, Arizona lost to UNLV and my wife lost her dad. I care about Arizona basketball, but I didn't watch that game or really give a shit we lost. That time period was a straightforward example of how it's great to cheer for the Cats, but when real life intercedes, I have far larger responsibilities as a man.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

UALoco wrote:
scumdevils86 wrote:
PHXCATS wrote:

the people in your isolated bubble of fucked up opinions agrees with you. just like every trump supporter thinks that only fox news is real news. but most people value their friends and family over spending 6 hours late at night watching a team that loses as much as wins at home.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
I need to get into a political discussion with Bruins01 to boost my post count, huh?

I don't get judging other people's fandom. Some of us are more basketball fans, some more football. Some have a greater ability to contribute money to Arizona, some don't.

Personally, I have a job that is fairly stressful and can involve longer and inconsistent hours. That makes it tough for me to do season tickets to football or basketball. I love Wildcat basketball, but is it good to buy seats that I know I frequently won't use?

I also like spending time with my wife, so there's less of me going to sports events while she sits at home watching Channing Tatum movies and wishing I was Magic Mike. I love Arizona, but I'm not taking from my marriage for it. My wife is already exceptionally tolerant of things I do like sitting in a pitch black garage in a funk for 30 minutes after the 2015 Wisconsin loss. I don't need to push it.

Also, no disrespect to anyone here, but I don't really care if anyone thinks I'm a bad fan. In terms of things I aspire to be, a superfan is pretty far down that list. Sports are fun and rooting for the Cats is fun. I get into it emotionally, but you can't lose perspective. Christmas 2015, Arizona lost to UNLV and my wife lost her dad. I care about Arizona basketball, but I didn't watch that game or really give a shit we lost. That time period was a straightforward example of how it's great to cheer for the Cats, but when real life intercedes, I have far larger responsibilities as a man.
one of your best posts. couldn't say it better myself.
btfd16

Post by btfd16 »

scumdevils86 wrote:
UALoco wrote:
scumdevils86 wrote:
PHXCATS wrote:

the people in your isolated bubble of fucked up opinions agrees with you. just like every trump supporter thinks that only fox news is real news. but most people value their friends and family over spending 6 hours late at night watching a team that loses as much as wins at home.
"Every lefty who disagrees is a snowflake!" Every righty that disagrees is a racist!".. Give me a break with the comparing this to politics crap. You're talking about freaking Arizona sports attendance for Christ's sake. :roll:
RazorsEdgeAZ

Post by RazorsEdgeAZ »

I fall into the camp that TV is the main factor in lower attendance. Then cost, KO times. Not just a UA issue, but a FBS issue. UA amplified with KO times because in the desert, small TV market and not a blue blood brand Football school. My take is for more (some) UA early KO's is they need to have really really good season. Maybe a here or there if they're really really bad. By now we all know ESPN/Fox paid $3 Billion to Pac12 for them to fill their primetime windows.
Here's the details of the ESPN FOX/Pac12 TV deal that kicked in 2012. [And , yea, what Spaceman Spiff said about fandom]
- 44 regular-season football games televised annually on select ESPN and FOX broadcast or national cable networks, including ABC, ESPN, ESPN2, ESPNU, FOX broadcast network and FX.

- 10 regular-season football games per year will be on a combination of the ABC and FOX broadcast networks with full national clearance with a SUBSTANTIAL commitment for PRIMETIME coverage.

- 34 regular-season games on national cable networks, FX, ESPN, ESPN2 and ESPNU.

- The remaining regular-season football games, an average of approximately three games per week, will be featured exclusively on the Pac-12 Network.

- The Pac-12 Football Championship Game, starting with FOX Sports in 2012 (FOX already has rights to the inaugural 2011 game) and then rotating between FOX Sports and ESPN each year. The game will take place on a Friday night primetime.
Last edited by RazorsEdgeAZ on Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Spiff bringing it like he always does.

Great clutch post. Love the part about responsibilities as a man.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

First off this Rick Kane who says he was a long time lurker, well that's just too convenient. Someone is socking, especially with the content of those posts.

As a sports fan of AZ and all sports, those teams need to earn the right to my hard working dollar earned. Starting a game at 8:15 has lost me. Now I still have tickets to both basketball and football and I am a wildcat member but so far this year I have been to one football game and I will not be going to any bball games except he one up in Phoenix against A&M.

Next year I plan on buying season tickets to bball (still won't go), baseball and women's volleyball. I think I will come down for a few weekend series for the baseball team who I actually love watching.

Family does come first and my wife just does not like going to games so I a have a choice of going it alone or hanging with her. For any reasonable start time (6pm or earlier) I will be there for kick off but I am not spending 500 a weekend to watch a game that ends at midnight.

That said I will be Autzen next week suckas!!!! Hate the ducks and I may get arrested so stay tuned on that one.
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
UALoco

Post by UALoco »

So people can criticize amateur athletes but not fans? Sheesh. Ok, so the folks in the Athletic Department(coaches and admin) are handsomely paid and need to earn it. Constructive criticism is warranted there. To be clear, though, much of subjective criticism heaved at them on this board has not been fair. Such as, " they don't care anymore" or "gimicky scheme" and I can go on. Just like there are better players than others, better coaches than others, better administrators than others, there are better fans than others. How are fans immune to criticism? It like saying someone that knowingly cheats on their taxes is a patriot just because they are a citizen. Didn't know "FANDOM" was such a sacred fucking cow!!
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Here again are the facts that we need to accept and then we can move on as to how to solve the issues instead of attacking the people we don't agree with.

UA needs more financial support to be a big time program and department.
Fandom is not hurt or weakened if you do not financially support the program.
Your opinions mean nothing to the athletic department, AD, coaches, players etc. if you are. It a financial supporter.

This is how you financially support the program in order of importance to the department.

Big donor

Season tickets/wildcat club

Single game sales

Now, how can we get more financial support for the program? Better kickoff times? Gotta lose financial support fromtv to get that. Better PA? Better in game entertainment? Less in game entertainment? Better seats backs? Better wifi?
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

That is a call for help to not anyone individually but all of Arizona and Wildcat Nation as a whole
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

Rick Kane is definitely a sock (or perhaps simply a new name for a terrible old poster from previous times).

Also, he's got some of the absolute worst takes ever.

This nonsense about people here (including the guy who runs the site) as the worst fans ever? Jesse-levels of pathetic. (how's that for a call-back to the old days)

Maybe it's time for a ban poll?

If you don't cut a cancer out early, it spreads.
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Does manhood equal fandom? A few people are acting that way. A ban poll because someone says something you disagree with? There are far worse attacks and pathetic actions going unchecked.

Be yourself and confident with that and it's all good.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Still waiting for machina to own up to his past on tos. He was almost as bad as this Rick guy.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Sources inside the AD say ticket sales are really bad. That's a shame. RR and the players, especially the seniors deserve better.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

8:15 is a killer. 35K would be a great crowd. While the players deserve better the fans have spoken so the UofA needs to come up with some ideas. The shuttle is a great idea and having a viewing area with beer is also a good one. No idea how to tackle being at the stadium at midnight though
Last edited by azcat49 on Fri Nov 10, 2017 12:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

PHXCATS wrote:Sources inside the AD say ticket sales are really bad. That's a shame. RR and the players, especially the seniors deserve better.

College sports (especially football and the Pac-12) sold their souls for TV revenue, and now they are reaping what they sowed. The fan in the stadium has taken a back seat for a long time.

Terrible start times and really long games due to TV timeouts and instant replay. A bad combo in a town with so many retirees.

Will be interesting to see what happens if TV money dries up due to cord cutting and a lot of younger people who really don't care about sports.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

The time sucks totally agree. Just wish the seniors had a better sendoff
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

azcat49 wrote:8:15 is a killer. 35K would be a great crowd. While the players deserve better the fans have spoken so the UofA needs to come up with some ideas. The shuttle is a great idea and having a viewing area with beer is also a good one. No idea how to tackle being at the stadium at midnight though
Pac12 network selected us for the 815 game?

With friends like these.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

UAEebs86 wrote:
PHXCATS wrote:Sources inside the AD say ticket sales are really bad. That's a shame. RR and the players, especially the seniors deserve better.

College sports (especially football and the Pac-12) sold their souls for TV revenue, and now they are reaping what they sowed. The fan in the stadium has taken a back seat for a long time.

Terrible start times and really long games due to TV timeouts and instant replay. A bad combo in a town with so many retirees.

Will be interesting to see what happens if TV money dries up due to cord cutting and a lot of younger people who really don't care about sports.
This is a very astute post. Thanks
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

CalStateTempe wrote:
azcat49 wrote:8:15 is a killer. 35K would be a great crowd. While the players deserve better the fans have spoken so the UofA needs to come up with some ideas. The shuttle is a great idea and having a viewing area with beer is also a good one. No idea how to tackle being at the stadium at midnight though

With friends like these.
1) espn2 picked the game

2) we cannot complain about how others run their business when we gave them the opportunity to do so. We are compensated over market value by th tv partners.
Last edited by PHXCATS on Fri Nov 10, 2017 1:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

The start time is what caused me to not buy a ticket this weekend. I already spent money on tickets to the basketball game Sunday and 815 is just not doable for a 4 hour football game.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

PHXCATS wrote:
CalStateTempe wrote:

With friends like these.
1) espn2 picked the game

2) we cannot complain about how others run their business when we gave them the opportunity to do so
Sweet so they see this game on the level of Fresno st vs sdsu. And we were passed on by fox and big espn.

Fuck them.

Then equally so, we can't complain when fans vote with their feet over garbage start times.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

ASUHATER! wrote:The start time is what caused me to not buy a ticket this weekend. I already spent money on tickets to the basketball game Sunday and 815 is just not doable for a 4 hour football game.
Dude it's not even double for myself sitting on my ass watching the game when I pull a 60+hr work week and have a 8mo who is up with first light every morning.

It complete smack in the face. So we are a garbage program in the eyes of everyone, but throw us a freaking bone once in a while with an afternoon game.

Rado is worse than us and has seem multiple favorable times afternoon games this year. NtOSU as well.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

CalStateTempe wrote:
PHXCATS wrote:
CalStateTempe wrote:

With friends like these.
1) espn2 picked the game

2) we cannot complain about how others run their business when we gave them the opportunity to do so
Sweet so they see this game on the level of Fresno st vs sdsu. And we were passed on by fox and big espn.

Fuck them.

Then equally so, we can't complain when fans vote with their feet over garbage start times.
If 815 is too late for you that's you and your choice and that's totally fine if you can't or choose not to go. Not better or worse for going or not going.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

CalStateTempe wrote:
ASUHATER! wrote:The start time is what caused me to not buy a ticket this weekend. I already spent money on tickets to the basketball game Sunday and 815 is just not doable for a 4 hour football game.
Dude it's not even double for myself sitting on my ass watching the game when I pull a 60+hr work week and have a 8mo who is up with first light every morning.

It complete smack in the face. So we are a garbage program in the eyes of everyone, but throw us a freaking bone once in a while with an afternoon game.

Rado is worse than us and has seem multiple favorable times afternoon games this year. NtOSU as well.
If we are paid over market value why would we be thrown a bone by those who overpay for our product.

UA has been picked over Oregon state every time by the tv networks in their choices. Same with Colorado most weeks.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Picked for garbage start times
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

For the record, I could give two shakes on what are value to the market is, all I know is we arnt seeing truck loads of money from our football network agreements and we get garbage start times.

Fans are voting appropriately. I don't blame them and you can't have it both ways bemoaning the lack of paid attendance and yet supporting the decisions of the tv partners while conveniently ignoring the causal relationship between the two.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

CalStateTempe wrote:Picked for garbage start times
Still picked ahead. For start times though I agree that being picked over is sometimes better.

For better kickoff times there are three options that are actually doable.

a) PAC-12 leave money on the table and go to CBSSN or NBCSN to take over ESPN's inventory.

b) PAC-12 move away from TV Networks to a digital provider like Amazon or Hulu or Netflix or something similar for everyone to stream and not be broadcasted.

c) Arizona moves to the Big 12

I am not ignoring the factor that kickoff times places in lower attendance at all. It is a major factor.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

CalStateTempe wrote:For the record, I could give two shakes on what are value to the market is, all I know is we arnt seeing truck loads of money from our football network agreements and we get garbage start times.

Fans are voting appropriately. I don't blame them and you can't have it both ways bemoaning the lack of paid attendance and yet supporting the decisions of the tv partners while conveniently ignoring the causal relationship between the two.
Absolutely true.

My work was having a raffle for free tickets tomorrow and I didn't even enter. My wife is in nursing school and works a weird schedule at her part time job and she will be gone this entire weekend at work. The only time she'll be around is after 8pm Saturday. So I'm definitely not going. Best case I'll have the game on mute in the background and check in here occasionally while we do something together.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Baby making, scum?
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

You know you wanna join us sad sacks at 5pm suburban dinner.

Or be real obnoxious like us and still rock a 7pm dinner at a non chain restaurant. Fortunately for us our kids are really well behaved in public.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Not for a couple years yet! But I can't even remember the last time we went out for dinner after like 6 pm :lol:
Gilbertcat

Post by Gilbertcat »

Times and tv is always why. It's late so instead of driving tomorrow, I can catch an early dinner and will watch daddy's home 2 and be home right at the start time tomorrow. Thanks larry
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

The "ZONA ZOO" should be aborted
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

PHXCATS wrote:The "ZONA ZOO" should be aborted
So should you and your sorry ass posts and fandom.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

ASUHATER! wrote:
Yeah ban the guy who goes to the games and financially supports the program :lol:

The zoo looked awful yet again on tv. If you don't abort it you gotta do something and I am all ears for suggestions. The current situation doesn't work for anyone.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

ASUHATER! wrote:
Only thing getting aborted is your membership in this community. Start acting like an adult or kick rocks Hater.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

PHXCATS wrote:
ASUHATER! wrote:
Yeah ban the guy who goes to the games and financially supports the program :lol:

The zoo looked awful yet again on tv. If you don't abort it you gotta do something and I am all ears for suggestions. The current situation doesn't work for anyone.
Give their seats to the paying public, move students to south end zone.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

The paying public didn't show up either. So bad argument. But I forget only machina is right on this board. So I apologize to him. He's the best fan.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Getting rid of the zoo is ridiculous. This is a college football team. We need college kids there up front and loud. The question is how do you engage this generation and turn the live experience into a must be there kind of atmosphere for the students?

Winning certainly helps.