Why can't we consistently fill AZ Stadium?

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

UAEebs86

Re: Why can't we consistently fill AZ Stadium?

Post by UAEebs86 »

PHXCATS wrote:
Alieberman joked about it earlier but if U of A played Duke in Tucson in basketball you could sell 40k tickets. So how do we besides "winning" turn those people who support basketball and follow it so closely into football financial supports as well?

Cut the game times in half and have them all start at 7:00PM.

When I was in school all games were pretty much at 7:00, unless moved into the afternoon for TV. And games only lasted about 3 hours back then.
Now there's too many TV timeouts and instant replays, and now with 8:00 and later kickoffs you are getting out of the stadium at almost midnight instead of 10:00PM. That doesn't work with the blue hairs, and the students want to head out to the bars and parties. And Phoenix fans are screwed unless they want to spend the night or fall asleep on the road.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

PHXCATS wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
UALoco wrote:The mounting excuses are funny to read. Marketing, lag time, etc., etc. It boils down to the fact that the average Arizona football fan is so casual in their "fandom" that they are not able realize their team is special and get to a game unless they are given a year's heads up. You are all making my point for me. Not enough hard core fans. Just a quick glance on your phone and you can see some of the amazing plays KT and the rest of the team are making on your twitter feed, facebook, or favorite sports app. Also, I spoke to so many folks at the tailgate that were just heading home to watch the game after partying all day. That is a problem as well.

Anyways, I'll hold out hope that next year I am proven all wrong, and we fill the stadium next year with a Heisman front runner, coming off a good bowl performance, and probably picked to be 1st or 2nd in the P12 South. Doubtful. I predict we'll still see attendance problems and more lame excuses. The ASU and USC games will sell out, maybe the BYU due to the LDS population and maybe Oregon if they improve next year, but the Cal and Colorado games will struggle. Each conference game should sell out. Yes, I know we are seeing attendance issues across the board and it is not unique to AZ, doesn't mean I like it.

Also, the personal jibes are not necessary. It is funny to see how personal folks are taking these criticisms. It is just an opinion.
How do you propose to change the character of the average Arizona fan?

If there's any immutable aspect of the discussion, it's the composition of the fanbase. Short of synthesizing a serum to create rabid UA football fans and dumping it into Pima County's water supply, fan behavior, interest and allegiance is a static factor.
See that is where I have an issue a bit. There are enough people to be excited about U of A to sell out a practice, a blown out experience practice but still a practice, but cannot get 41k to the final game of the year when we are having a great year. Does winning mean that much? If it is we have to say that U of A in both sports has lots of fair weather fans. I think there is an aspect of McKale being the place to be and place to be seen that rolls with it too.

Alieberman joked about it earlier but if U of A played Duke in Tucson in basketball you could sell 40k tickets. So how do we besides "winning" turn those people who support basketball and follow it so closely into football financial supports as well?
If AZ played Bama in football (Duke's equivalent in football) we could sell 60K tickets easily. Winning is the not so secret ingredient
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Captain Obvious wrote:Arizona should downsize their stadium like a lot of other teams are doing. Houston bulldozed their stadium and constructed a 40,000 seat stadium for 140 million as I recall. I think a similar approach could work for Arizona. Just getting the current stadium up to code would cost a fortune. Sinking more money into it seems like a waste of time and money to me.
I was thinking the same thing. Cal and Stanford greatly reduced the sizes of their new stadiums, although Stanford did it right, Cal did it completely wrong.

Furd went from 90K to 50K.

Even held the SuperBowl there in 1985.

PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Stanford stadium is trash

57 is fine for a program like UA and an area like southern Arizona
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

PHXCATS wrote:Stanford stadium is trash
Not to rehash this, but I disagree. Look how intimate the seating is at Stanford stadium.

Every seat has a back.

Compare those seats to Arizona stadium.

Won't even get into concessions and restrooms.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Agreed Merk. I just don't get his statement. I don't care if it is made out of balsa wood, it is 10 times better than the litter box we play in. Chairbacks and great sight lines from every seat with restrooms that give you room to move.
UALoco

Post by UALoco »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:How do you propose to change the character of the average Arizona fan?

If there's any immutable aspect of the discussion, it's the composition of the fanbase. Short of synthesizing a serum to create rabid UA football fans and dumping it into Pima County's water supply, fan behavior, interest and allegiance is a static factor.
Here is the rub..great question.

Well, I guess a cultural revolution is in order. It will take the AD and the Community to meet in the middle. It is not all on RR and the team to win(although that is important and helps).

You have to start with the kids. Carve out sections of the stadium for elementary school kids and youth programs. Provide tickets either free or super cheap. Those seats are going empty so make it up on concessions. This will take a partnership between UA and Districts. I know the Cards fill the upper decks with kids.

Then, build more community good will: Carve out sections for the military, first responders, and other populations that deserve economical or free entry.

Hit all the major radio stations, not just the sports stations, and provide interviews and talk about the "buzz" of the program.

Advertise to the Latino community. I feel that is untapped.

And yes, things can be done to create a funner "inside stadium" environment to attract the party goers that don't come in and leave early. Create a couple of red zone areas, 1 above 21 and 1 below 21, where folks can mingle with their buddies, and yes, serve alcohol to folks who are of age. Maybe limit it to 2 or 3 drinks to reduce risk. Maybe tickets to this zone can be sold as "standing room only." You might even have to clamp down a bit on the tailgating and not allow the pop-up night clubs that are springing on on the mall.

Work out a co-branded service between UA and Uber or Lyft where folks can park at the area malls and take a discounted Uber or Lyft to/from the game.

Lobby Larry Scott to get a concession from TV networks to allow a school to select one game per year where the home school sets the time. The TV networks are reeling from chord cutters and may be willing to conceed some to the conferences to help improve the stadium experience.
Carcassdragger

Post by Carcassdragger »

Nice seeing that grass turf. Got laid right there on the 50 yard line in 83/84. Great memories. Thanks.

Now back to the discussion.
2020 BEARDOWN WILDCATS RAP Champion
2018 BEARDOWN WILDCATS SURVIVAL POOL Champion
2017 BEARDOWN WILDCATS RAP Champion
2013 GOAZCATS SURVIVAL POOL Champion
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

There is no personality with Stanford Stadium. None at all. There is with Arizona Stadium.

Of the stadiums in the conference I have been to, I would rank them. I am ranking them based on feel, personality, concessions, experience.

Washington
Colorado
U of A
USC
UCLA
ASU
Cal
Stanford
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

UALoco wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:How do you propose to change the character of the average Arizona fan?

Here is the rub..great question.

Well, I guess a cultural revolution is in order. It will take the AD and the Community to meet in the middle. It is not all on RR and the team to win(although that is important and helps).

You have to start with the kids. Carve out sections of the stadium for elementary school kids and youth programs. Provide tickets either free or super cheap. Those seats are going empty so make it up on concessions. This will take a partnership between UA and Districts. I know the Cards fill the upper decks with kids.

Then, build more community good will: Carve out sections for the military, first responders, and other populations that deserve economical or free entry.

Hit all the major radio stations, not just the sports stations, and provide interviews and talk about the "buzz" of the program.

Advertise to the Latino community. I feel that is untapped.

And yes, things can be done to create a funner "inside stadium" environment to attract the party goers that don't come in and leave early. Create a couple of red zone areas, 1 above 21 and 1 below 21, where folks can mingle with their buddies, and yes, serve alcohol to folks who are of age. Maybe limit it to 2 or 3 drinks to reduce risk. Maybe tickets to this zone can be sold as "standing room only." You might even have to clamp down a bit on the tailgating and not allow the pop-up night clubs that are springing on on the mall.

Work out a co-branded service between UA and Uber or Lyft where folks can park at the area malls and take a discounted Uber or Lyft to/from the game.

Lobby Larry Scott to get a concession from TV networks to allow a school to select one game per year where the home school sets the time. The TV networks are reeling from chord cutters and may be willing to conceed some to the conferences to help improve the stadium experience.
Excellent Loco. Get that info to Heeke asap
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

carcassdragger wrote:Nice seeing that grass turf. Got laid right there on the 50 yard line in 83/84. Great memories. Thanks.

Now back to the discussion.
Now we know the real reason they ripped the turf out.
prh

Post by prh »

I'm curious what the personality of Arizona Stadium is. I was unaware that a new stadium can't have or build a personality. Maybe a new personality would be friendlier and get more people to come visit it. Maybe personality is the real problem.

Loco, home run post. I second forwarding that to Heeke. A real grassroots effort might be one of the best ideas by way of cost/feasibility to benefit.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

prh wrote:I'm curious what the personality of Arizona Stadium is. I was unaware that a new stadium can't have or build a personality. Maybe a new personality would be friendlier and get more people to come visit it. Maybe personality is the real problem.

Loco, home run post. I second forwarding that to Heeke. A real grassroots effort might be one of the best ideas by way of cost/feasibility to benefit.
New stadiums can have personality. U of P Stadium does, Citi Field and Gila River Arena all have personality and are all fairly new. There have been two stadiums for college football I have been to that had no magic to it at all. Reno and Stanford. They are just bigger high school stadiums.

U of A has dorm rooms in it. It has history. It has magic to it. asu is between two buttes. For the record the rose bowl is a freaking dump but has the magic to it.
HaCats

Post by HaCats »

Are you honestly, and with a straight face.......insinuating that the incredibly generic looking Gila River Arena, that is a financial dumpster fire, that resides in an absolutely hideous part of the Valley.....has 'personality'??? And that Stanford's football stadium in Palo Alto does not?

To quote from Billy Madison....that might be the most insanely idiotic response I have ever heard in my life. And may God have mercy on your soul.
HaCats

Post by HaCats »

I know of no one, who's love and passion for the University of Arizona surpasses mine. A few whose own might equal mine, but none who have more of it than me. That said, just because our stadium has some old dorms built into it.....does not make it great. Or untouchable when it comes to the drastic need of bulldozing or major renovations.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

HaCats wrote:Are you honestly, and with a straight face.......insinuating that the incredibly generic looking Gila River Arena, that is a financial dumpster fire, that resides in an absolutely hideous part of the Valley.....has 'personality'??? And that Stanford's football stadium in Palo Alto does not?

To quote from Billy Madison....that might be the most insanely idiotic response I have ever heard in my life. And may God have mercy on your soul.
Not the same personality as other venues but yes it has a heck of a lot more than the double decker high school stadium of Stanford.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

HaCats wrote:I know of no one, who's love and passion for the University of Arizona surpasses mine. A few whose own might equal mine, but none who have more of it than me. That said, just because our stadium has some old dorms built into it.....does not make it great. Or untouchable when it comes to the drastic need of bulldozing or major renovations.
Renovations are greatly needed to Arizona Stadium, no doubt. Need bathrooms updated, better concessions, better lighting and seatbacks at a minimum. I just do not want to see a bulldozing of it because there is class and personality and history to it.
btfd16

Post by btfd16 »

PHXCATS wrote:
HaCats wrote:I know of no one, who's love and passion for the University of Arizona surpasses mine. A few whose own might equal mine, but none who have more of it than me. That said, just because our stadium has some old dorms built into it.....does not make it great. Or untouchable when it comes to the drastic need of bulldozing or major renovations.
Renovations are greatly needed to Arizona Stadium, no doubt. Need bathrooms updated, better concessions, better lighting and seatbacks at a minimum. I just do not want to see a bulldozing of it because there is class and personality and history to it.
I am a huge UofA homer and have no problem bulldozing it... Don't really see the class that you say. The old visitors locker room, those dorms, under that side of the stadium all suck.
UALoco

Post by UALoco »

Grade A Homer here...could care less if you bulldoze the stadium and start new if it will attract better admin, coaches, recruits, sponsors, etc....It is not gonna happen after building the north endzone. Just sayin', if there is an open checkbook, bulldoze.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

UALoco wrote:Grade A Homer here...could care less if you bulldoze the stadium and start new if it will attract better admin, coaches, recruits, sponsors, etc....It is not gonna happen after building the north endzone. Just sayin', if there is an open checkbook, bulldoze.
Could you renovate West side off season, play a season, then renovate East Side one off season, play a season, then renovate Southside?
Timmy1973

Post by Timmy1973 »

Does the Mirror lab (in the midst of a major mirror set fabrication) throw a wrench in the ability to do much to the *eastside (edit) of the stadium?
Last edited by Timmy1973 on Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

The east side, where the mirror lab resides, is much more modern than the west side. That’s the biggest problem.
UALoco

Post by UALoco »

PHXCATS wrote:
UALoco wrote:Grade A Homer here...could care less if you bulldoze the stadium and start new if it will attract better admin, coaches, recruits, sponsors, etc....It is not gonna happen after building the north endzone. Just sayin', if there is an open checkbook, bulldoze.
Could you renovate West side off season, play a season, then renovate East Side one off season, play a season, then renovate Southside?
Anyone in construction here? I imagine it would be tight to try to blow up a side and rennovate in one off-season. It would likely take one football season to finish the job. Even the north endzone was under construction for one football season.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

ASU is paying $307M for their stadium renovations.

Stanford stadium cost $90M to build new, although it was in 2005, but Bay Area prices.

Cal spent $321M on their new stadium about the same time as Stanford and has no way to possibly pay for it.
btfd16

Post by btfd16 »

UALoco wrote:
PHXCATS wrote:
Anyone in construction here? I imagine it would be tight to try to blow up a side and rennovate in one off-season. It would likely take one football season to finish the job. Even the north endzone was under construction for one football season.
Probably still wouldn't sell out if an entire side was down for a season... lol
UALoco

Post by UALoco »

btfd16 wrote:
UALoco wrote:
PHXCATS wrote:
Probably still wouldn't sell out if an entire side was down for a season... lol
Funny, true, and sad a the same time. Saw a game in the new Stanford stadium, it was nice but McCaffrey lit us up so bad it is hard to remember. Since we are dreaming, build the new stadium next to Hi Corbett. Rip out the zoo or golf course. Make it a new Tucson/Arizona Sports Recreation collaborative. Or build it in Casa Grande as part of new $4B amusement park along with a Hyperloop between Tucson and Phoenix.
Rick Kane

Post by Rick Kane »

Here is the Plan

Eastside gets renovated next two seasons. They already put seats in the level above the student section so they are mostly improving the concessions/restrooms on that side as well as activating the stadium club space better. They are using the new student fee to do this work as they are raising debt through it. Its why they are doing the Eastside first to appease the students (Who probably will not show up anyways). They will do it over next two off-seasons.

Then they plan on re-doing the South side by improving concessions/restrooms, and adding recliner seats which will reduce capacity. However, they do not have the funds for this yet.

Then its the Westside which many in the department believe is just a tear down. They will keep the luxury suites but tear everything down in front of it as it is really old. Again, no money for this yet. One of those things where if they just refurbish it might cost almost as much as just starting over.

The previous regime commissioned a pretty costly study of the entire stadium to improve it and now Heeke is executing it on the vision they saw there. Great news is the new president Bobby is a big supporter of football so admin will support Heeke here. As much as people didn't like Hart, she was still a big supporter of athletics and Byrne so we are lucky in having two presidents in a row who support athletics.

Will come down to Money and if they can find it/raise it for South side and West side. From speaking to people, my sense is the South Side should not be a major issue but figuring out West Side will be.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Interesting how ASU is paying for theres, they are creating an "urban hub".

https://www.azcentral.com/story/money/r ... /28958197/" target="_blank
Timmy1973

Post by Timmy1973 »

Would the south end zone upgrades even be worth the cost? Would it help attendance or revenue over the current situation? Being end zone seating with the video board at their back, how much more are fans willing to pay per seat to make up for reduced lower level capacity in this section?
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Rick Kane wrote:Here is the Plan

Eastside gets renovated next two seasons. They already put seats in the level above the student section so they are mostly improving the concessions/restrooms on that side as well as activating the stadium club space better. They are using the new student fee to do this work as they are raising debt through it. Its why they are doing the Eastside first to appease the students (Who probably will not show up anyways). They will do it over next two off-seasons.

Then they plan on re-doing the South side by improving concessions/restrooms, and adding recliner seats which will reduce capacity. However, they do not have the funds for this yet.

Then its the Westside which many in the department believe is just a tear down. They will keep the luxury suites but tear everything down in front of it as it is really old. Again, no money for this yet. One of those things where if they just refurbish it might cost almost as much as just starting over.

The previous regime commissioned a pretty costly study of the entire stadium to improve it and now Heeke is executing it on the vision they saw there. Great news is the new president Bobby is a big supporter of football so admin will support Heeke here. As much as people didn't like Hart, she was still a big supporter of athletics and Byrne so we are lucky in having two presidents in a row who support athletics.

Will come down to Money and if they can find it/raise it for South side and West side. From speaking to people, my sense is the South Side should not be a major issue but figuring out West Side will be.
Great summary and coincides with every thing I've heard. The one thing that I have been told though is regardless of where the money comes from every thing you just said will happen, simply because it absolutely has to. Money will be available one way or the other (debt may be a long term concern afterwards pending on where the money comes from) and this is of the highest priority in the athletic department and you can argue the entire University. Robbins has made it one of his priorities, because it HAS to be done.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Cal is still paying interest only on their stadium. They don't start paying down the principle until 2032.

http://www.sfchronicle.com/collegesport ... 948494.php" target="_blank

Last year, Cal athletics had a $22 million budget deficit, the largest in the nation. The most punishing factor is the $18 million annual payment on stadium debt. Right now, those payments are interest only.
RazorsEdgeAZ

Post by RazorsEdgeAZ »

The budgeted cost for just the East side renovations $25 million. Public budget projection for East, West and South is $150 million. So East side renovations done next two years small percentage of what current plans for the entire Stadium. Debt Service just for the East side $25 million (Bonds) to be paid over 25 years.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

What I haven't heard yet is what is the ultimate plan in regards to finishing renovations at McKale? Anybody get info on that?
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Timmy1973 wrote:Would the south end zone upgrades even be worth the cost? Would it help attendance or revenue over the current situation? Being end zone seating with the video board at their back, how much more are fans willing to pay per seat to make up for reduced lower level capacity in this section?
If you shave from 55k seats to 50k seats and draw 50k instead of the current 45k, you don't have to necessarily drive up seat prices.

Most of the football revenue is not driven purely by ticket sales. Also, and this is purely my own experiences, I have friends who moved to NEZ seats because it offers chairbacks and better facilities.
RazorsEdgeAZ

Post by RazorsEdgeAZ »

ChooChooCat wrote:What I haven't heard yet is what is the ultimate plan in regards to finishing renovations at McKale? Anybody get info on that?
Only thing I know is UA planning to do a $1.5 million McKale Locker room renovation that will start construction shortly after this season ends
Pop McKale

Post by Pop McKale »

RazorsEdgeAZ wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:What I haven't heard yet is what is the ultimate plan in regards to finishing renovations at McKale? Anybody get info on that?
Only thing I know is UA planning to do a $1.5 million McKale Locker room renovation that will start construction shortly after this season ends

Thought there was going to be an eventual "Phase 2" to the McKale renovations from a couple years ago that centered around major changes to both the indoor and outdoor main concourses as well. No?
RazorsEdgeAZ

Post by RazorsEdgeAZ »

Pop McKale wrote:
RazorsEdgeAZ wrote:

Thought there was going to be an eventual "Phase 2" to the McKale renovations from a couple years ago that centered around major changes to both the indoor and outdoor main concourses as well. No?
Yes. At the time phase 1 was $30 million of planned $80 million total renovation plan. Phase 1 received $6 million from Donor
Pop McKale

Post by Pop McKale »

RazorsEdgeAZ wrote:
Pop McKale wrote:
RazorsEdgeAZ wrote:

Yes. At the time phase 1 was $30 million of planned $80 million total renovation plan. Phase 1 received $6 million from Donor
Cool, thanks. Much needed but more than several years off I'd guess. Football stadium much more pressing, of course.
ZONACAT

Post by ZONACAT »

Captain Obvious wrote:Arizona should downsize their stadium like a lot of other teams are doing. Houston bulldozed their stadium and constructed a 40,000 seat stadium for 140 million as I recall. I think a similar approach could work for Arizona. Just getting the current stadium up to code would cost a fortune. Sinking more money into it seems like a waste of time and money to me.
The Houston stadium is an erector set. It's terrible.

I agree any improvements to the stadium is a waste of money. Instead of improving McKale, should have torn the football stadium down and built an intimate 35-40k dome with plenty of luxury suites and pull a Syracuse.

Ship has passed unfortunately and I'm not sure how the school can improve the current situation.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

No thanks
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

I love Arizona stadium for its aged look. I like the idea of walking into a stadium that was initially built in the 1920's. It lends to the history of your school and program. That doesn't mean we have to have 1920's style plumbing and crappy concessions. But the charm of the stadium to me is the battleship grey and the simplicity. That's what I loved about Wrigley Field and the old Comiskey Park. I don't want modernity. One of the things about being a fan at an old stadium is the link between the current team and the past. It's part of the reason I think Oregon's new Matthew Knight Arena sucks. Yeah, it's modern and has all the amenities. But Oregon lost all the charm when they left the Pit.

I don't think Arizona needs to downsize it's stadium. The east side second deck is a monster and there's really nothing you can do to make it smaller. Maybe they can shrink capacity by increasing seat size.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

zonagrad wrote:I love Arizona stadium for its aged look. I like the idea of walking into a stadium that was initially built in the 1920's. It lends to the history of your school and program. That doesn't mean we have to have 1920's style plumbing and crappy concessions. But the charm of the stadium to me is the battleship grey and the simplicity. That's what I loved about Wrigley Field and the old Comiskey Park. I don't want modernity. One of the things about being a fan at an old stadium is the link between the current team and the past. It's part of the reason I think Oregon's new Matthew Knight Arena sucks. Yeah, it's modern and has all the amenities. But Oregon lost all the charm when they left the Pit.

I don't think Arizona needs to downsize it's stadium. The east side second deck is a monster and there's really nothing you can do to make it smaller. Maybe they can shrink capacity by increasing seat size.
Agree with this. If the lower East side and west side and south end zone were turned into upgraded seatbacks (leave the upper deck as bleacher seats) that alone would probably being capacity down to just over or around 50k. Just give everything a fresh coat of paint, replace those seats and upgrade concessions/bathrooms stadium wide and it'll be a better experience. 50k is probably a good capacity for us.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
Rick Kane

Post by Rick Kane »

Timmy1973 wrote:Would the south end zone upgrades even be worth the cost? Would it help attendance or revenue over the current situation? Being end zone seating with the video board at their back, how much more are fans willing to pay per seat to make up for reduced lower level capacity in this section?
It is pretty bad in the South End Zone from a concession and restroom standpoint. By putting in seats they would reduce capacity and they also put in the second video board to the left of the new North End Zone so my guess is you would be able to charge a bit more then currently with reduced capacity.
Rick Kane

Post by Rick Kane »

ChooChooCat wrote:

Great summary and coincides with every thing I've heard. The one thing that I have been told though is regardless of where the money comes from every thing you just said will happen, simply because it absolutely has to. Money will be available one way or the other (debt may be a long term concern afterwards pending on where the money comes from) and this is of the highest priority in the athletic department and you can argue the entire University. Robbins has made it one of his priorities, because it HAS to be done.
Thanks and you are 100% correct. The south sides and Westsides are basically an old disaster from a plumbing, electrical, and concession standpoint. They have to be re-done just like the Pool needed to be re-done because the equipment got too old. And now its getting done.

The stadium does not meet current codes in many ways but if you talk with anyone in the athletic department they will tell you it will get done and it might be through University raising debt for it. Typically athletic department raises the debt and services it themselves.
Rick Kane

Post by Rick Kane »

Pop McKale wrote:
RazorsEdgeAZ wrote:
Pop McKale wrote:
RazorsEdgeAZ wrote:

Cool, thanks. Much needed but more than several years off I'd guess. Football stadium much more pressing, of course.
At this point, it will be a while before major improvements to McKale are done. I think the goal is to do a founders room type situation like USC has where there is a pre-game/halftime/post game bar, good area. Its a great amenity at USC and one of the reason Arizona applied for the Liquor License. I had heard it was going to go where the old Academic center was. I think it literally is a just a big room but for big time alumni it is needed. Outside of that and the new locker rooms which were mentioned (I think Golf and Tennis are getting re-done with some sport getting a whole new locker room) I think that will be the only changes with McKale for a while. Could be wrong but will be honest and say I am good sized donor and close with some bigger time donors so typically at the front end of hearing about this stuff.

They wanted to completely re-do the front of McKale where current ticket booth is and also close in the concourse to make it larger where it currently is outside.

However, most of the McKale now is a want to have improvements as the need to do stuff is done (again, outside of that founders room)

With Arizona stadium, its all need to do stuff.

Great news is if you track Arizona, lots of construction starts next year on various projects for multiple sports.
Timmy1973

Post by Timmy1973 »

Rick Kane wrote:
It is pretty bad in the South End Zone from a concession and restroom standpoint. By putting in seats they would reduce capacity and they also put in the second video board to the left of the new North End Zone so my guess is you would be able to charge a bit more then currently with reduced capacity.

The second board is too small for people on the opposite side of the stadium. You are trying to sell them a better experience than just watching at home (eventually in UHD, 4K, or better). They should design in another pretty large video display for the Northside if they want to come close the fan experience they made for the NEZ seating/pricing.

Maybe seatback/upgrade the entire east side, move the zoo to the bottom 20-30 rows on the west, move the team to the west side line. Then do the South End Zone with another video board. With a final piece to knock down & redo the west side. This allows it to be done in steps, and to postpone the final pieces if money becomes an issue.

I wouldn't have suggested moving the family section from the shaded west side previously, but with the late starts all the time, it's already night time by most kickoffs.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Visiting with duck fans up here at Autzen and most of them arrived at 6pm last night and they don't have to leave until 9am tomorrow morning. Talk about rolling out the red carpet for fans, especially those that drove down from Portland. Too much to ask from our university?
Last edited by azcat49 on Sat Nov 18, 2017 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

azcat49 wrote:Visiting with duck fans up here at Aytzen and most of them arrived at 6pml ast night and they don't have to leave until 9am tomorrow morning. Talk about rolling out the red carpet for fans, especially those that drove down from Portland. Toomuch to ask from our university?
That’s a really interesting idea.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Doesn't help that this year in October/November the weather has been significantly warmer than average. There's likely not going to be a single day in Tucson in November this year with a high below about 78 degrees. It'll be 89/90 on Thanksgiving for the love of god. Even a day game when it is 85 is terrible to sit in for 4 hours.
wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

Have we even had a high in the 70’s? It’s insane.

I remember it was 85 on thanksgiving in like 93 or 94 - it was pretty fun. This year, not so much.