Why can't we consistently fill AZ Stadium?

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

PieceOfMeat

Re: Why can't we consistently fill AZ Stadium?

Post by PieceOfMeat »

keep the momentum from tonight's win going.

they will come
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

PieceOfMeat wrote:keep the momentum from tonight's win going.

they will come
For another several years yes
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

[/quote]

Chicat, you grow up in Orange County?[/quote]

Downey. So, pretty much South Central, but it was actually a rose in a toilet bowl in the 80s. If you could avoid the Night Stalker, it was a pretty nice neighborhood and just close enough to the entertainment options in Orange County.

I know how your dad felt when the Rams left. I felt the same way when they moved, and when they traded Eric Dickerson. I told people that I didn’t stop being a fan, the Rams decided they didn’t want to be my team anymore.[/quote]

Downey is not that bad at all. Actually much nicer then people realize. My in-laws both work at the big Kaiser hospital in Downey and have for the past 30 years. We had our son there as we get nice VIP treatment at the hospital due to them. While my wife was in the hospital must have gone to Porto's like 10 times. Just the best bakery around. The entire area around Porto's has really been cleaned up too. My firm has been trying to buy apartments to rehab there as we love the entire Mid Cities area ie Cerritos, Downey, Whittier, etc.

I was actually with my Dad yesterday and he told me he has been watching the Rams again and wants to go to a game with me. Said given Georgia is 6 feet under, its ok to be a fan again.

And for my money, Eric Dickerson in his prime is still the best Running Back ever to play the game.

The more I get to know you Chicat, the more I really look forward to the day of buying you a beer at a Final Four with Arizona in it and giving you an awkward Man hug and telling my wife we went to school together and not that I met you on the internet...did that come out bad?
2004 First Team All American Football Poster as voted on by GOAZCATS
baycat93

Post by baycat93 »

Newportcat wrote:
Chicat wrote:
PieceOfMeat wrote:
cats101 wrote:
azcat49 wrote:That was a great read Merk. Just thought I would mention that

Then that fucking bitch Georgia Fronterie (Who mind you got the team because she had her husband killed. A world class swimmer drowning in like 18 inches of water in Florida?) moved them to St. Louis. My dad has threatened to find her grave and piss on it for years.
This is pretty much exactly my feelings. Never really followed NFL much since. A brief stint following the Patriots during the bledsoe days while living in NJ. Even with the current success, just can't give up the hate for that #unt.

My Dad seems more forgiving. Maybe if I mature a little more?

You are a bigger man than I Chi. Hope they bring you another title.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Newportcat wrote:Downey is not that bad at all. Actually much nicer then people realize. My in-laws both work at the big Kaiser hospital in Downey and have for the past 30 years. We had our son there as we get nice VIP treatment at the hospital due to them.
My dad was an OB/GYN at Kaiser in the mid- to late-80s. Small world! I wonder if their time coincided.
Newportcat wrote:The more I get to know you Chicat, the more I really look forward to the day of buying you a beer at a Final Four with Arizona in it and giving you an awkward Man hug and telling my wife we went to school together and not that I met you on the internet...did that come out bad?
I love awkward interactions with people I meet online!

Now that sounded bad. :lol:
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

Chicat wrote:
Newportcat wrote:Downey is not that bad at all. Actually much nicer then people realize. My in-laws both work at the big Kaiser hospital in Downey and have for the past 30 years. We had our son there as we get nice VIP treatment at the hospital due to them.
My dad was an OB/GYN at Kaiser in the mid- to late-80s. Small world! I wonder if their time coincided.
Newportcat wrote:The more I get to know you Chicat, the more I really look forward to the day of buying you a beer at a Final Four with Arizona in it and giving you an awkward Man hug and telling my wife we went to school together and not that I met you on the internet...did that come out bad?
I love awkward interactions with people I meet online!

Now that sounded bad. :lol:
Just sent you a message, this is creepy as my mother in law was an OB/GYN nurse there forever.
prh

Post by prh »

You two needed to get a room 5 posts ago anyways
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

prh wrote:You two needed to get a room 5 posts ago anyways
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Jealousy is a stinky cologne, prh....
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
prh

Post by prh »

Chicat wrote:Jealousy is a stinky cologne, prh....
Yeah you're damn right Chi. I wanna meet all you fools sometime too
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

Seriously, when is the Bear Down Wildcats meet and greet going to happen?

If we wait until Arizona makes a Rose Bowl...well could still be a bit

My assumption has always been when Arizona makes a Final Four but wish it would be sooner then that
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Sooner than 17 months from now?
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Why does ASU get back-to-back 1 p.m. and noon home games?
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

scumdevils86 wrote:Why does ASU get back-to-back 1 p.m. and noon home games?
The first two things that come to my mind is Utah is a good opponent and UCLA is part of a large TV market.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

We played Oregon and USC at home and got shit late start times.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

azgreg wrote:
scumdevils86 wrote:Why does ASU get back-to-back 1 p.m. and noon home games?
The first two things that come to my mind is Utah is a good opponent and UCLA is part of a large TV market.
PAC12 network is carrying both games. Day PAC12 Network is the last pick of the TV selections most weeks (all but two all year I believe) so it is really a factor of asu and UCLA ducking on the field and in the tv ratings

By the way the two weeks that arent the last pick are 2nd to last pick
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

The crowd is so fucking weak. If we lose tonight it is on our fans. Sean Miller blaming the 2014 loss on UA at asu would completely agree
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

PHXCATS wrote:The crowd is so fucking weak. If we lose tonight it is on our fans. Sean Miller blaming the 2014 loss on UA at asu would completely agree
Why aren’t you at the game?

And if you are, I guess you’re one of those idiots with their heads in their phones instead of watching the team?

Not sure which is worse bad fan behavior. Complaining about the fans while sitting on your fat ass at home, or being at the game but not cheering because you’re too busy complaining about the fans.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Such a shit bag caricature of himself troll now. Please ban him.
ByJoveByJingle

Post by ByJoveByJingle »

It was a weird vibe. No tailgating really, people getting off work, etc. I’m surprised as many people showed up as did.
blackjacker

Post by blackjacker »

PHXCATS wrote:The crowd is so fucking weak. If we lose tonight it is on our fans. Sean Miller blaming the 2014 loss on UA at asu would completely agree
ALASKACAT

Post by ALASKACAT »

Newportcat wrote:Image

My assumption has always been when Arizona makes a Final Four but wish it would be sooner then that
It may be sooner than you think... UA needs to win out and UTAH, USC need to lose once more in conference.

PS. To answer the topic question: My wife and I attended the USC and Cal game on back to back weekends. The south endzone sound system was WAY TOO LOUD!!!! That alone, in my opinion is reason enough why old folks like me would stay home. We bought ear plugs to watch the CAL game in order to preserve our hearing.
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

ALASKACAT wrote:

It may be sooner than you think... UA needs to win out and UTAH, USC need to lose once more in conference.

PS. To answer the topic question: My wife and I attended the USC and Cal game on back to back weekends. The south endzone sound system was WAY TOO LOUD!!!! That alone, in my opinion is reason enough why old folks like me would stay home. We bought ear plugs to watch the CAL game in order to preserve our hearing.
I've actually heard that mentioned before, and read it somewhere too, but the UA seems uninterested in adjusting the volume on that.
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

ALASKACAT wrote:

Did you tell any UA personnel about this? Just curious because I know the Cardinals and Diamondbacks will move you to another area if you ask for a reason like this.
prh

Post by prh »

PieceOfMeat wrote:
ALASKACAT wrote:

I've actually heard that mentioned before, and read it somewhere too, but the UA seems uninterested in adjusting the volume on that.
It was much louder right after the new scoreboard was installed, and they lowered the volume after complaints. Maybe they need more complaints to lower it again.
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

prh wrote:
PieceOfMeat wrote:
ALASKACAT wrote:

It was much louder right after the new scoreboard was installed, and they lowered the volume after complaints. Maybe they need more complaints to lower it again.
Surprises me that it is still so loud then. If they're not hearing the complaints they're not listening very hard. I've heard complaints about it this season.

ALASKACAT

Post by ALASKACAT »

Can someone provide me a an email link to the athletic department? I'm too lazy to look it up.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

ALASKACAT wrote:Can someone provide me a an email link to the athletic department? I'm too lazy to look it up.
uofaad@arizona.edu" target="_blank
azpenguin

Post by azpenguin »

ALASKACAT wrote:The south endzone sound system was WAY TOO LOUD!!!! That alone, in my opinion is reason enough why old folks like me would stay home. We bought ear plugs to watch the CAL game in order to preserve our hearing.
Other people have made note of this too and I have mentioned it repeatedly in my replies to the surveys they've been sending out. I think this big problem they have with getting the sound system volume adjusted well is that the speakers in the south end zone are pretty much it for the whole stadium. Sound quality wise, they're a huge improvement over the old system, and they don't blast noise into the surrounding neighborhood all night like the old system did. But they need to figure out a way to get other speakers placed around the stadium so they can turn the volume down. Where I usually sit in 201, the volume is perfect. When I venture further south, it's ear-splitting. I know season ticket holders in the SEZ who gave up their tickets and the sound system is a big reason why.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

azpenguin wrote:
ALASKACAT wrote:The south endzone sound system was WAY TOO LOUD!!!! That alone, in my opinion is reason enough why old folks like me would stay home. We bought ear plugs to watch the CAL game in order to preserve our hearing.
Other people have made note of this too and I have mentioned it repeatedly in my replies to the surveys they've been sending out. I think this big problem they have with getting the sound system volume adjusted well is that the speakers in the south end zone are pretty much it for the whole stadium. Sound quality wise, they're a huge improvement over the old system, and they don't blast noise into the surrounding neighborhood all night like the old system did. But they need to figure out a way to get other speakers placed around the stadium so they can turn the volume down. Where I usually sit in 201, the volume is perfect. When I venture further south, it's ear-splitting. I know season ticket holders in the SEZ who gave up their tickets and the sound system is a big reason why.
I can only imagine how loud it is if the majority of the sound is coming from the south endzone. I sit near the north endzone and it is perfect for me but I do know that you can hear the PA all the way at Park and University
azpenguin

Post by azpenguin »

You can't hold a conversation in the SEZ if the speakers are going at all, even if it's just the PA announcer.
UAdevil

Post by UAdevil »

I went to the 1st home game this year. Took my dad. Fun seeing some stadium improvements but for whatever reason some of the magic is just gone for me. Ended up giving my Tix to the remaining games to one of my staff. Just so much nicer to watch at home, not fight the horses, find parking, dedicate 4.5 hours or more...and pay for the privelege. I\'m starting to feel a bit this way about basketball too. I don\'t even think it has anything to do with how good or bad the team is. Just not motivated to go to these types of events I guess. I have no plans on getting fb tix next year and might only catch one game at McKale. I dunno...other shit just feels more important. *Bad fan...
Love the 've! Stop with the: Would of - Could of - Should of - Must of - Might of
ALASKACAT

Post by ALASKACAT »

PHXCATS wrote:
ALASKACAT wrote:Can someone provide me a an email link to the athletic department? I'm too lazy to look it up.
uofaad@arizona.edu" target="_blank" target="_blank
Thank you!
cats101

Post by cats101 »

UAdevil wrote:I went to the 1st home game this year. Took my dad. Fun seeing some stadium improvements but for whatever reason some of the magic is just gone for me. Ended up giving my Tix to the remaining games to one of my staff. Just so much nicer to watch at home, not fight the horses, find parking, dedicate 4.5 hours or more...and pay for the privelege. I\'m starting to feel a bit this way about basketball too. I don\'t even think it has anything to do with how good or bad the team is. Just not motivated to go to these types of events I guess. I have no plans on getting fb tix next year and might only catch one game at McKale. I dunno...other shit just feels more important. *Bad fan...
Feel the same. I think it's either coming with age or shifting priorities. I def still watch the game on TV if I have access, and will go to a select few. I also now live in Oro Valley, so it's somewhat a hassle to make every game.
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

Speaking of Arizona stadium....

http://www.wildcat.arizona.edu/article/ ... -marijuana" target="_blank

Not the smartest move to break into the stadium with weed in your possession
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

UAdevil wrote:I went to the 1st home game this year. Took my dad. Fun seeing some stadium improvements but for whatever reason some of the magic is just gone for me. Ended up giving my Tix to the remaining games to one of my staff. Just so much nicer to watch at home, not fight the horses, find parking, dedicate 4.5 hours or more...and pay for the privelege. I\'m starting to feel a bit this way about basketball too. I don\'t even think it has anything to do with how good or bad the team is. Just not motivated to go to these types of events I guess. I have no plans on getting fb tix next year and might only catch one game at McKale. I dunno...other shit just feels more important. *Bad fan...
One challenge for me is not only is it much easier to watch live games on TV, but also the summary clips on youtube are now so good too. I feel can skip watching a game and just watch the 3-10min highlight within minutes of the game being over and get all the good stuff without any of the bad/boring stuff. This is a big problem I think for sports as for me it makes it so much more efficient but the chances of me watching a game live go down and going to one even more so.

I still think nothing beats being at a big game live but how many truly big games does say Arizona football or basketball have every year. Feels like forever since we had a big game in McKale.

I also have two very young kids so going to a sporting event is a major commitment...would rather use a hall pass on golf.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Utah is expanding their stadium
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Utah used to have great attendance for basketball back in the WAC days and when Fat Rick had his program really playing well. Since then they have really fallen off and in fact last year, even with the most seats, didn't finish 1 or 2 in the conference in attendance.

I mention that as it seems this whole hing is predicated on building a solid winner. Utah fans did not all of a sudden start hating basketball and those games take about half of what it takes to watch football yet they are selling out a bunch of games and now expanding the stadium.

If we can get a run of 3 or 4 years where we win 9 or 10 games a year I think we would easily be over 50K average for the season. It is just that we go through so many peaks and valleys so quickly that its hard to commit to 8 hours+ out of your Saturday to watch a product that is "iffy" at best.

I have 3 season tickets to football and 2 to basketball, I will be attending my first UofA game this year against ASSU. Just to far, too late and until lately, not enough reasons to use those tickets. Good thing is they were used by fans down in Tucson who probably wouldb't have gone to the game otherwise. Maybe this will motivate them to buy tickets at other times
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

https://fox13now.com/2018/11/14/u-of-u- ... ry-suites/" target="_blank

Q: Why is the university expanding its stadium?

The in-depth feasibility study conducted showed a clear market demand for this modest expansion. The U’s football team has played in front of 56 straight sellout crowds in Rice-Eccles Stadium, dating back to its 2010 season opener. The season ticket waiting list includes nearly 3,000 people. In addition, an average of 450,000 patrons come through the gates of Rice-Eccles Stadium each year. The stadium hosts an average of 150 events each year, and this expansion will continue to help make the venue a popular location for community events.

Underlined part is interesting. Something the UA does not do.

Also interesting is BJBJ's suggestion that nice weather is contrarian to college football attendance.
UALoco

Post by UALoco »

That is a really good point...the vibe around the stadium just sucks. If they would have more events there, it might bring in more nightlife. The circle k just isn't doing it.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

UALoco wrote:That is a really good point...the vibe around the stadium just sucks. If they would have more events there, it might bring in more nightlife. The circle k just isn't doing it.
Yeah I don't know why there aren't like concerts or beer festivals or anything else at the stadium. It's seemingly used like 8 days a year and that's it.

Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Some of us may even remember the Fleetwood Mac concert at Arizona Stadium. The AD said the ground was so tore up they would never do it again. Took them 30 years for the next concert, which was some rap artist I believe which failed miserably.

Doesn't even have to be inside the stadium. Aloha Stadium in Oahu has a flea market in the parking lot 3 days a week.

ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Our stadium has artificial turf, can't be torn up.

prh

Post by prh »

ASUHATER! wrote:
UALoco wrote:That is a really good point...the vibe around the stadium just sucks. If they would have more events there, it might bring in more nightlife. The circle k just isn't doing it.
Yeah I don't know why there aren't like concerts or beer festivals or anything else at the stadium. It's seemingly used like 8 days a year and that's it.
Merkin wrote:Some of us may even remember the Fleetwood Mac concert at Arizona Stadium. The AD said the ground was so tore up they would never do it again. Took them 30 years for the next concert, which was some rap artist I believe which failed miserably.
So that was the Jay-Z concert, which had a lot of factors involved, but nonetheless turned into an absolutely disastrous flop.

Kanye performed in McKale the previous year, and that event sold out in about an hour I believe. Was an absolute smashing success. Our student body president, Tommy something, wanted to do something bigger the following year, which was his senior year and he was president again. Because of this, it was partially a going out thing for him, which is probably why there wasn't pushback on it.

Tickets to the Jay-Z show were advertised as cheap and targeted for students! Starting at $38. That's fine right? Except that each ticket included a service fee somewhere around $35. But, I still shelled out for tickets as my girlfriend really wanted to go.

Coupled with the outrageous ticket prices, the lineup was absolutely idiotic: The Veronicas, Kelly Clarkson, Third Eye Blind, Jay-Z. Never has there been a more disjointed lineup. And they were all good! But that's a complete mess.

The week of the show, panic, and now the entire student body org, whatever it's called, starts handing tickets out around campus for free. You can't walk 100 feet without someone trying to hand you a white envelope with 2 tickets in it.

Later we find out, they had 17k capacity, sold about 7k, handed out another 8k, and there were maybe 8-9k people in attendance. Ticket sales didn't even cover Jay-Z's appearance fee, let alone Clarkson's or 3EB.

I will say, it was an awesome concert (and Ryanhood was there too, for you locals that know them). But an absolute disaster.
azpenguin

Post by azpenguin »

Merkin wrote:Some of us may even remember the Fleetwood Mac concert at Arizona Stadium. The AD said the ground was so tore up they would never do it again.

Still a hell of a sight. Also notice the old press box; the big press box and skyboxes wouldn't be there until more than a decade later.
UALoco

Post by UALoco »

Forget the student government, work with professional promoters.
cats101

Post by cats101 »

AD currently holding a 25% off for tickets vs. assu until 1:32 MST. Solid deal if you ask me.
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

if we beat wsu ppl will pack the house vs assu.

ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

PieceOfMeat wrote:if we beat wsu ppl will pack the house vs assu.
Especially if Utah loses to Colorado. If both those happen, the Territorial cup will be for the division, even if ASU loses to Oregon.

HaCats

Post by HaCats »

Nightmare scenario is Utah loses, asu wins and we lose.....then all those unsold seats for Territorial Cup (there are many, I just bought mine today and saw first hand)....will be purchased quickly by people in hideous yellow shirts.