Former Cats in the League

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

UAtrue

Former Cats in the League

Post by UAtrue »

Figured we needed one of these threads to capture the various news about former Cats in the league that don't have their own thread (e.g., Gronk).

I'm in NYC right now sitting at Heartland Brewery (while the wife and daughter shop the stores at times square) having a beer and on the tv above the bar saw Nick Folk got a new contract.

So glad to see him still in the league. One of my favorite Cats. Wonder why those dumbass Cowboys released him (several years ago)?
Last edited by UAtrue on Thu Aug 14, 2014 9:20 pm, edited 3 times in total.
ANGCatFan

Re: Former Cats in the League

Post by ANGCatFan »

From Berk at the AZ Daily Starhttp://azstarnet.com/sports/football/co ... sw.twitter:

Denker recently relocated to Basel, Switzerland, and signed with the Basel Gladiators of the European Football League and the Swiss A League.

The Gladiators reached out to Denker after their starting quarterback went down with a torn ACL in May. Denker signed May 27 and immediately moved to Switzerland.

The lefty quarterback has already started two games for the Gladiators. Denker has thrown for 391 yards and seven touchdowns and rushed for 183 yards and five scores in a pair of wins.

The Gladiators have qualified for the playoffs with two regular-season games left.

Denker’s deal came together quickly.

Denker said he was driving back to California from Tucson with his girlfriend when he got a call from a former junior college teammate who informed him of a website where players could submit their information for European coaches.

One day after Denker visited the site, the Gladiators coaches called him and were eager to get him to Basel.

“I figured it would be a free way to travel, see the world and play a little football and have some fun, all expenses paid,” Denker said in an email. “It’s been fun so far. We won both games and I’ve scored a bunch of touchdowns. So I can’t complain.”

Denker started all 13 games for the Wildcats last season as a senior and threw for 2,516 yards and 16 touchdowns. He added 949 rushing yards and 13 more scores.

The quarterback was hoping to latch on with an NFL team for a rookie mini-camp tryout, but that call never came following the NFL draft. Instead, Denker is now with the Gladiators, trying to help them get to the Swiss Bowl on July 12.
UAtrue

Post by UAtrue »

Real nice to see B.J. still is playing.
Katzenfreund

Post by Katzenfreund »

Last edited by Katzenfreund on Thu May 07, 2015 4:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
teemackdee

Post by teemackdee »

I'm no Machina but it is nice to see our boys be successful once they leave.
UAtrue

Post by UAtrue »

Terrance Miller seems to be the only former Cat signed as a free agent this year. Kinda disappointing only him.

Terrence Miller signs with the New York Jets

http://www.azdesertswarm.com/football/2 ... -york-jets
It was not unexpected that Miller went undrafted, nor that he's going to get a chance in mini-camp somewhere. He's a big body, listed at 6-4 and 234 pounds in last year's media guide.

In 2012, Miller missed nine of Arizona's games, and was granted a fifth year of eligibility by the NCAA.

The senior from Moreno Valley, CA played in each and every one of the Wildcats' games in 2013, and trailed only Nate Phillips for total receiving yards with 467. He was also responsible for the longest passing play of the season, a 60-yarder.

For his career, he finished with 95 catches for 1,117 yards and three receiving TDs. I would say that last season was somewhat of a disappointment for Miller, who was easily the biggest target on the field for the inexperienced B.J. Denker. But Miller dropped a lot of easy passes early on in the season, and never fully recovered.

He did have a couple of games where he reached 88 total yards against Cal and Oregon, which were tied for his season high. The nine catches he had against Oregon were easily the most he had in a single game in 2013.

I think his size will at least give him a chance to latch onto a practice squad somewhere, but his route-running abilities and his hands are in need of some serious work if he's going to become a receiver in the NFL. It'll be an uphill climb for sure, but at least he's getting the opportunity.
Irish27

Post by Irish27 »

Here is something I did not know about Eben Britton. His grandmother is Estelle Parsons. If you don't know who that is, she won an Oscar for her role as Blanche Barrow in Bonnie and Clyde. Most here would know her better as the grandma in Roseanne.
2019 & 2021 Basketball RAP Winner/2022 Football RAP Winner
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Fendi Onubun got cut by the Bears.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
Irish27

Post by Irish27 »

It's not the NFL, but Nic Grigsby had a big CFL debut, rushing for 125 yards and catching two passes for the victorious Blue Bombers.
UAtrue

Post by UAtrue »

Little article on KaDeem
In an ideal world, Carey would take at least some of the burden off Forte in the running game, but the Bears are likely hoping for more than just a change of pace guy. Carey has the potential to be a game changer when he has the ball in his hands, and he gives the team a great weapon to utilize even if they want to go with a split backs formation. He was projected to be a first round pick, and even though off-field issues derailed those hopes a bit, he still has the skillset necessary to run at an elite level in the NFL
http://www.nbcchicago.com/blogs/grizzly ... 21931.html
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

If I'm not mistaken that dude is drinking a Feldschoschen in Katz's picture.

I have fond memories of that sh*tty swiss beer...

http://www.hometeamsonline.com/teams/de ... l&p=roster

not on roster? hmmm...
pokinmik

Post by pokinmik »

http://espn.go.com/blog/chicago-bears/p ... hind-forte

Quick article on the Bears #2 RB spot - which is up for grabs and should be Ka'Deem's! I can't wait for him to get some PT in a real game.
Irish27

Post by Irish27 »

Nic Grigsby scored two touchdowns, the last one the game-winning td on a 2-yard catch.
Daryl Zero

Post by Daryl Zero »

Matt Scott playing 3rd string for the Bengals led them to 2 TDs in the 4th quarter.

https://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/cincinnati ... 140807012/

Apparently he has a 2 year deal with Cincinnati but none of it guaranteed.

http://espn.go.com/blog/cincinnati-beng ... -year-deal

According to ESPN Stats & Information, Scott will make $420,000 for the 2014 season and $510,000 in 2015. Those figures equate to his base salary. He has no bonuses coming. None of his money is guaranteed. If he gets cut this season, he'll provide the Bengals a cap savings of $420,000. If he gets cut next year, he could provide a $510,000 cap savings.

With Dalton, Campbell and McCarron ahead of him, Scott likely is headed to the practice squad if he isn't cut by the end of training camp. At the very least, he was signed to give the Bengals another arm during voluntary offseason workouts and training camp.

Back to his old tricks of vomiting and throwing for TDs (follow the link for a loop video of vomit and comet):

http://fansided.com/2014/08/08/bengals- ... ass-video/

The Cincinnati Bengals opened up their 2014 NFL preseason with a thriller of a game against the Kansas City Chiefs, a game they would narrowly lose, 41-39. However, of all the action that took place, it may have been Bengals backup quarterback Matt Scott who stole all the attention last in the fourth quarter.

Scott decided to give everyone his best Willie Beamen impression, by throwing up on the field. Yes, he was in the shotgun, ready to get the play off and take the snap, when he just projectile vomited.

But like a good quarterback, he kept his composure, manned up and ran his offense!

Now while this is crazy in itself, what’s even crazier is, just six seconds after this incident took place, Scott fired a 12-yard touchdown strike to Conner Vernon to bring his team a bit closer to the Chiefs, who played an outstanding game tonight.

But still, even with action like De’Anthony Thomas taking a punt back 80 yards in his first NFL game, this will be the moment that most people will remember from this preseason contest.

You do have to admire the composure that Scott showed throughout this, though. Whether it was the heat that got to him, or if he’s really sick, it’s difficult to play through that.

But Scott did, and he did it like a B-O-S-S!
Erlich Bachmann: Richard wrote the code, yes, but the inspiration was clear. Let me ask you something. How fast do you think you could jack off every guy in this room? Cause I know how long it would take me. And I could prove it.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Ka'Deem's 1st pre season carry was for 9 yards, but it was called back on a holding call.

Currently he is 3rd string on Bears but I expect him to take over the #2 spot.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

According to the Bears depth chart Carey is 4th string right now. Stats from last night showed him getting no official carries.

What's the deal?
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Chicat wrote:According to the Bears depth chart Carey is 4th string right now. Stats from last night showed him getting no official carries.

What's the deal?
He had 10 carries for 23 yards, the most carries of any Chicago RB last night.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Huh, that's what I get for using the Bears app.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

Didn't get to watch the game myself, but heard from a bud that the entire running game looked rather pathetic (starting with the line and their dealing with the eagle's 3-4 front seven). Forte ended with negative yards on a few carries.
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Ka'Deem with the TD.

But the running game looks no bueno. Definitely some o-line issues for the Bears so far.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Hmmm, maybe Skip isn't such a dork after all.

Zona_Soccer10

Post by Zona_Soccer10 »

Nice to see Ka'Deem get some work, and a touchdown, even if it is preseason. Chicago will love him.
Irish27

Post by Irish27 »

Puerco

Post by Puerco »

Katzenfreund wrote:LOL, got a few friends in Basel, a Swiss industrial city on the German border. Very distinctive art scene, lots of hipsters.

BJ (right) in a 72-28 blowout win over Winterthur on June 01, 2014. Attendance for the game: 310.
Oh, hey now. I wouldn't call it an industrial city!
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

I heard Scott and Criner got cut today.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Bears released Eben Britton
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Mike Thomas made the Texans after being out of football all last year.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
SGIT

Post by SGIT »

UAEebs86 wrote:Mike Thomas made the Texans after being out of football all last year.
And was cut on Sunday after Houston traded with New England for Ryan Mallet
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Merkin

Post by Merkin »

CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

So whats up with Kadeem Carey being 4th on the depth chart now? Was preseason that awful for him?
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

CalStateTempe wrote:So whats up with Kadeem Carey being 4th on the depth chart now? Was preseason that awful for him?
He's 3rd... pretty much has been all season.

Either way, he's not gonna get a whole lot of playing time unless Forte gets hurt.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

Alieberman wrote:
CalStateTempe wrote:So whats up with Kadeem Carey being 4th on the depth chart now? Was preseason that awful for him?
He's 3rd... pretty much has been all season.

Either way, he's not gonna get a whole lot of playing time unless Forte gets hurt.

Looks like he's moved up the depth chart to #2 now.

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/football ... AlVs_kbaCg
Rookie running back Ka’Deem Carey will be the first in line behind Matt Forte on Sunday, coach Marc Trestman said Thursday.

Trestman said Carey “got up to speed very quickly” this preseason.

“We don’t really know how it will transition to the real deal on Sunday and the weeks to come,” Trestman said. “But he’s learned the right at this point to have the first shot.”
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

Chicat

Post by Chicat »

I'll be there at Soldier Field Sunday to witness Ka'Deem's first regular season action. Can't wait to cheer my lungs out for a guy once deemed "Tucson Good".
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

Chicat wrote:I'll be there at Soldier Field Sunday to witness Ka'Deem's first regular season action. Can't wait to cheer my lungs out for a guy once deemed "Tucson Good".
Well maybe he'll be Chicago Good in short time :D

Zona_Soccer10

Post by Zona_Soccer10 »

Chicat wrote:
Interesting to say the least. Glad he's getting the chance to be a big contributor now.
Zona_Soccer10

Post by Zona_Soccer10 »

Golden threw a twenty five yard pass today against the Browns, and Ka'Deem got his first "official" NFL carry.
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

Zona_Soccer10 wrote:Golden threw a twenty five yard pass today against the Browns, and Ka'Deem got his first "official" NFL carry.
4 yards average for Carey :lol:

Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Zona_Soccer10

Post by Zona_Soccer10 »

It's pretty pathetic that Philadelphia fans were abandoning ship and calling for Foles' head at halftime. Oh, and look what he did?
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Zona_Soccer10 wrote:It's pretty pathetic that Philadelphia fans were abandoning ship and calling for Foles' head at halftime. Oh, and look what he did?
Macho Grande

Post by Macho Grande »

Foles has been off this year. Even in the preseason games I watched him play in, he just didn't seem to have the same decisiveness that he showed last year. Like he's scared of making a mistake, or is just thinking too much. Don't know what it is, but he just hasn't looked comfortable.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Briggs has been getting a heaping helping of shit from the Chicago media about partying/days off off the field and his play on it. I keep seeing writers use the phrase, "Some fans are saying" which has to be the most cowardly bullshit in media. If you want to criticize a guy for opening a restaurant during the season and going to a club a couple of days prior to a game, just do it. No fan would even know what Lance does in his off time if the media didn't report it in the first place.
Zona_Soccer10

Post by Zona_Soccer10 »

I'll be surprised if we go a week without the media freaking out about Foles again. They let him have it all week for just having a bad half. :lol:
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Bears starting FB is injured so Bears are playing KaDeem a lot more today. Had 2 carries on 1st drive.