Bowl game in Tucson has been approved

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Irish27

Bowl game in Tucson has been approved

Post by Irish27 »

The UofA will be hosting a bowl game starting this year.
http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootbal ... -landscape
2019 & 2021 Basketball RAP Winner/2022 Football RAP Winner
azthrillhouse

Re: Bowl game in Tucson has been approved

Post by azthrillhouse »

Irish27 wrote:The UofA will be hosting a bowl game starting this year.
http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootbal ... -landscape
Totally stoked to see Wyoming and Old Dominion square off.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Pretty sad when the bowls get more money from required ticket purchases from the invited teams than they do from TV and normal admissions.
Catintheheat

Post by Catintheheat »

I don't understand why Tucson would ever want a bowl game. Anything that isn't UA related seems doomed to fail in Tucson. It's going to be great to watch a football game nobody cards about in a fully empty stadium.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Tucson couldn't even sell out the Copper Bowl when the UA was playing.

Date Winning Team Losing Team Attendance
December 31, 1989 Arizona 17 North Carolina State 10 37,237
azthrillhouse

Post by azthrillhouse »

Have to think we're getting to the point where teams are going to start declining bowl invites rather than take a bath on guaranteed ticket purchases, travel expenditures, etc. Unless the conference tie-ins make them legally obligated to accept, which might be the case.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Are these bowls also owned by Disney/ESPN?
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

I'll be going to this bowl if I can.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

I think almost every bowl is owned by ESPN. I am assuming this will be the case with the new three.

It is all about TV, only ADs and the Morris Twins care about the butts in the seats. This bowl can be a great success without having fans in the stands.

2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

TV producers going to have to get pretty good about not showing the stands.

I wonder how much the UA lost on the NM Bowl?

PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Merkin wrote:TV producers going to have to get pretty good about not showing the stands.

I wonder how much the UA lost on the NM Bowl?

I might be wrong, but I thought that the conference compensates the schools who lose money. Also, for the other bowls I thought that after the schools are paid for loses on tickets from bowls that make money, it the remaining money is split 13 ways with 2/13 going to the participating school for said bowl and the other 11 schools getting 1/13th.

Also I would say that UA came out ahead in that NM Bowl even if they did lose some money due to the ticket purchase mandate.
Gilbertcat

Post by Gilbertcat »

All schools share their bowl money. That is why AZ only got around $2 million for the Fiesta but the payout was $4 million. Its to help the schools that dont make money on their bowls and to spread out the costs. Its also why you can only decline an at large bid and not a conference tie-in bowl. Also, it looks like 2 of the new bowls will be on CBS Sports so one of the few ESPN wont run.

Count me in the we need more bowls club. Even the crappy ones draw enough viewers to support them being on TV. The college season is so short, any way to make it longer is awesome!

http://abcnews.go.com/Sports/sources-bo ... d=30833994

I am also glad the Cactus is moving back to Chase. Usually that game starts after 8 and its 40 degrees out. So with a dome, it will make it easier to attend.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

The PAC equally divides all bowl revenue "after expenses".

Here is a good article on UDub losing money on all it's bowls, but being reimbursed by the PAC: http://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-new ... ppearance/
RazorsEdgeAZ

Post by RazorsEdgeAZ »

Bowl attendance becoming less of a factor IMO. With the new CFP structure and bowl revenue conferences sharing lots more $$ than ever before.

1st year CFP last year doubled the BASE $$ paid out to P5 conferences ($60 million share EACH)
Playoff bowl team conferences add-in another $6 million for each team participation.
Other Host bowls NY6 add another $4 million toward teams participating conferences.
Plus non-playoff or host bowls tie-ins with their respective payouts to conferences.

Arizona playing Fiesta Bowl last year earned conference share $4 million. Also Arizona awarded another $2 million for "expenses" payout

I think I read where P12 in last year of BCS earned $28 million then jumped to $69 million to split 1st year of CFP last year (could be off a little on this). Will fluctuate slighlty based on number of P12 team in a playoff and Host bowl.

Of course the new Arizona bowl doesn't involve P5 conferences.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

if it is cheap i'll go. why not.
Gilbertcat

Post by Gilbertcat »

scumdevils86 wrote:if it is cheap i'll go. why not.
Beer should also be served as its a bowl game...more fun. Unless it is going against an Arizona game.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Bowl still needs a sponsor and a contract for the stadium to happen this year.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
splitsecond

Post by splitsecond »

I say we band together and sponsor it as the Fuck Larry Scott Bowl.
Reydituto

Post by Reydituto »

PHXCATS wrote:I think almost every bowl is owned by ESPN. I am assuming this will be the case with the new three.

It is all about TV, only ADs and the Morris Twins care about the butts in the seats. This bowl can be a great success without having fans in the stands.

LOL Morris twins.

This one is slated to be broadcast on CBS Sports Network, and be between representatives from the Mountain West & Conference USA. Still needs a title sponsor as well.

I'm for this bowl. I happen to know it was started by a contingent of people who were and still are very upset that the Fiesta Bowl stole the Copper/Domino's/Weiser Lock/Insight/Buffalo Wild Wings/Cactus Bowl away from Tucson (currently the 14th oldest bowl game in existence) to plunk in Tempe. F those guys. Also, if Albuquerque, Mobile, Montgomery, Shreveport, Birmingham, Jacksonville, Nassau, Annapolis, Detroit, Boise, El Paso, and Yankee Fucking Stadium can host bowl games, then I see absolutely no issue with Tucson hosting one.
But in my book, you gotta get to White Castle before the weirdos show up!
Tonight he gets Happy-Go-Jackie on the big white guy like a donkey eating a waffle!
Sweet Sassy Molassey, get out the checkbook and pay Grandma for the rubdown!
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

UAEebs86 wrote:Bowl still needs a sponsor and a contract for the stadium to happen this year.

Looks like it's happening, announcement tomorrow.

http://m.tucson.com/sports/football/col ... touch=true
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
dirtbags

Post by dirtbags »

please let it be the dirtbag bowl
azpenguin

Post by azpenguin »

Bring on the El Güero Canelo Bowl!
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

azgreg

Post by azgreg »

I predict a crowd of about 3,400 people for that bowl.
Carcassdragger

Post by Carcassdragger »

The East Westchester Northstars, Champions of the southern conference, against....
2020 BEARDOWN WILDCATS RAP Champion
2018 BEARDOWN WILDCATS SURVIVAL POOL Champion
2017 BEARDOWN WILDCATS RAP Champion
2013 GOAZCATS SURVIVAL POOL Champion
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

azgreg wrote:I predict a crowd of about 3,400 people for that bowl.

Guaranteed money loser for those teams. They will be required to purchase 10,000 tickets per school, which they can't sell, so the athletic department will have to pick up the slack and buy the excess tickets to see if they can give them away.

I think last year was the first time in quite some time that the UA didn't "lose" money on a bowl game. However, since the PAC splits profits and losses no PAC team really loses money going along as the upper tier teams go to the bigger bowls. In a down year like this year the PAC may lose money on bowl games.
Gilbertcat

Post by Gilbertcat »

IDK, you could have a Marshall, Rice, or S Miss vs a CSU, Nevada, or a Utah State. More MW fans but it would be worth a look. But I love all bowls.
UAdevil

Post by UAdevil »

Looking forward to attending a bowl game in Tucson. It's been too long. Sure, it's a crappy lower tier bowl with likely crappy lower tier teams, but it's more football and an opportunity to showcase Tucson and the new football facilities. Exposure is what it's all about. Show those recruits, potential future students, and hell, tourists how nice Tucson can be in the winter when most of them are shoveling snow.
Love the 've! Stop with the: Would of - Could of - Should of - Must of - Might of
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

UAdevil wrote:Looking forward to attending a bowl game in Tucson. It's been too long. Sure, it's a crappy lower tier bowl with likely crappy lower tier teams, but it's more football and an opportunity to showcase Tucson and the new football facilities. Exposure is what it's all about. Show those recruits, potential future students, and hell, tourists how nice Tucson can be in the winter when most of them are shoveling snow.
I agree. Although it's tentatively scheduled for Tuesday the 29th of December. Hard for me to go to that. And that's usually the coldest week of the year in Tucson and with el nino making this winter supposedly colder and wetter than usual it could possibly be raining and like 40 degrees for this bowl.

azgreg

Post by azgreg »

ASUHATER! wrote:
UAdevil wrote:Looking forward to attending a bowl game in Tucson. It's been too long. Sure, it's a crappy lower tier bowl with likely crappy lower tier teams, but it's more football and an opportunity to showcase Tucson and the new football facilities. Exposure is what it's all about. Show those recruits, potential future students, and hell, tourists how nice Tucson can be in the winter when most of them are shoveling snow.
I agree. Although it's tentatively scheduled for Tuesday the 29th of December. Hard for me to go to that. And that's usually the coldest week of the year in Tucson and with el nino making this winter supposedly colder and wetter than usual it could possibly be raining and like 40 degrees for this bowl.
You are one of the most "glass half empty" guys I've ever encountered.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

I have no idea what you mean. I said that I agree that I'm excited for the bowl and will go if possible.

Merkin

Post by Merkin »

I normally go to Tucson between Christmas and New Years but my daughter decided to have her marriage ceremony on the 27th here in Cali.

Many places outside of retail shut down, such as Raytheon are shut down then. There will be enough people off work then and visiting.
Gilbertcat

Post by Gilbertcat »

Yeah the Cactus bowl is usually around that time and I stopped going because it was in a stupid "stadium" in Tempe and it was freezing. But its at Chase this year so it wont be as bad and I bet I will be there.

The Arizona bowl is competing against 3 other bowls that day but its perfect to have 2 games on at the same time. Good flipping on the TV.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

ASUHATER! wrote:I have no idea what you mean. I said that I agree that I'm excited for the bowl and will go if possible.
I was referring to everything in your post after the word "agree". Also referring to your posting history here and at TOS.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Wahhhh. Seems like a half full kind of assessment

UAdevil

Post by UAdevil »

Embrace your inner pessimist Hater. ;-)
Love the 've! Stop with the: Would of - Could of - Should of - Must of - Might of
cats101

Post by cats101 »

Looks like NOVA Home Loans is the sponsor a company I work for.

I want my free tickets
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

Gilbertcat wrote:All schools share their bowl money. That is why AZ only got around $2 million for the Fiesta but the payout was $4 million. Its to help the schools that dont make money on their bowls and to spread out the costs. Its also why you can only decline an at large bid and not a conference tie-in bowl. Also, it looks like 2 of the new bowls will be on CBS Sports so one of the few ESPN wont run.

Count me in the we need more bowls club. Even the crappy ones draw enough viewers to support them being on TV. The college season is so short, any way to make it longer is awesome!

http://abcnews.go.com/Sports/sources-bo ... d=30833994

I am also glad the Cactus is moving back to Chase. Usually that game starts after 8 and its 40 degrees out. So with a dome, it will make it easier to attend.

Not me... I've never been a fan of 'participation' trophies for any competition involving people with ages exceeding single digits.

I've never heard of a Little League where 62% of the teams make the playoffs, or 62% of the kids make the all-star team. Or a company where employees are celebrated & rewarded for inching above the bottom 1/3rd.

Sorry... we are already past the point of diminishing the value of a bowl appearance. Except to help coaches pad their resume so they can get guaranteed money if they are fired, while maintaining carte blanche to leave for greener pastures if a better option comes along,

A BCS conference team does not deserve to be rewarded for beating 3 cream puffs and winning 33% of their conference games. Not in my world, or in most others - which is why attendance at many bowl games pales in comparison to a marquee high school matchup.
Gladiator Cat

Post by Gladiator Cat »

I agree Harvey, I'll give this latest incarnation of a bowl game 5 years before it goes into the dust bin of history.

The level of teams that this bowl will be choosing from I wouldn't even watch on TV for free. But I'm going to pay money to sit in a empty, cold and uncomfortable stadium in the middle of December to watch two insanely bad 6-6 teams from the C-USA v. Mountain West.

At first I thought this was a joke, but then I realized that people weren't laughing along with me.
azpenguin

Post by azpenguin »

I love college football. I hate that the season is only 12 games long. Bowl games aren't playoffs anyway and they don't affect the trajectory of the season. I don't mind this at all.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

azpenguin wrote:I love college football. I hate that the season is only 12 games long. Bowl games aren't playoffs anyway and they don't affect the trajectory of the season. I don't mind this at all.
That's a good point, but I feel that a bowl game should be a reward for a good season. At the minimum a team should have a better than .500 conference and overall record and FCS games shouldn't count.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Gladiator Cat wrote:I agree Harvey, I'll give this latest incarnation of a bowl game 5 years before it goes into the dust bin of history.

The level of teams that this bowl will be choosing from I wouldn't even watch on TV for free. But I'm going to pay money to sit in a empty, cold and uncomfortable stadium in the middle of December to watch two insanely bad 6-6 teams from the C-USA v. Mountain West.

At first I thought this was a joke, but then I realized that people weren't laughing along with me.
It will stick around in today's age. As long as people watch and they watch worse bowls, it will be around.

CREAM. Cash rules everything around me. Change me to sports and you have why we are talking about the city of Tucson who can't even support UA football well having a bowl game. Same city which used to have multiple spring training teams.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Gladiator Cat wrote:I agree Harvey, I'll give this latest incarnation of a bowl game 5 years before it goes into the dust bin of history.

Sorry but this opinion has already no place in the world and is in the dust bin of history.

azpenguin

Post by azpenguin »

azgreg wrote:
azpenguin wrote:I love college football. I hate that the season is only 12 games long. Bowl games aren't playoffs anyway and they don't affect the trajectory of the season. I don't mind this at all.
That's a good point, but I feel that a bowl game should be a reward for a good season. At the minimum a team should have a better than .500 conference and overall record and FCS games shouldn't count.
I get what you're saying there, but that ship has sailed. Too many cities wanting to host games, too much TV time to fill... the football world is what it is now. So I'll take the good side of it, which is more college football and less ESPN time debating the firmness of Brady's balls.