Attendance

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

the real dill

Attendance

Post by the real dill »

Arizona athletic director Greg Byrne, whose football team saw a rise of more 3,000 fans per game this season, said schools are working harder than ever to get fans in the seats as the size of televisions and higher broadcast quality has led some to stay home to watch games.

"We are definitely paying attention," Byrne said. "It is critical that the game-day experience is better for our fans than the television presentation."

Byrne said one of the biggest challenges in coming years will be to engage with the student body and make sure they are coming to games. While that group doesn't necessarily bring in the money now, they certainly are potential future donors to the program.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/sto ... erage-2003
ASUHATER!

Re: Attendance

Post by ASUHATER! »

A rise of 3000, but still averaged 6000 empty seats
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

simple solution.

Serve Beer.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

CalStateTempe wrote:simple solution.

Serve Beer.

Surprised at the number of southern schools on the beer list due to all the Baptists in the south.

http://www.wave3.com/story/26414932/bee ... ball-games

+ Akron

+ Bowling Green

+ Cincinnati

+ Colorado State

+ Houston

+ Kent

+ Louisiana-Lafayette

+ Louisiana-Monroe

+ Louisville

+ Minnesota

+ Nevada

+ SMU

+ Syracuse

+ Toledo

+ Troy

+ Tulane

+ UNLV

+ UTEP

+ Western Kentucky

+ West Virginia

Eleven other schools sell beer at football games, though their stadiums are not on campus:

+ Connecticut

+ Georgia State

+ Hawaii

+ Massachusetts

+ Memphis

+ Miami

+ San Diego State

+ South Alabama

+ South Florida

+ Temple

+ Texas-San Antonio
BMalo

Post by BMalo »

After not re-upping the past 2 years, I did this year. I thoroughly enjoy watching in the comfort of my own home but I enjoy game days and tailgating; two years seems like a long time away from that.

I gave my sister shit this past year about students leaving early as she was a freshman. She said that most fo the students she knows that leave early do in fact go home to get ready to go out. I remember going out right after the game with our zona zoo shirts on. She also says she's "just not that into football" compared to basketball and I want to punch her in the face.
OSUCat

Post by OSUCat »

Arizona needs to keep improving the game day experience, including tailgating.
Formerly Lynx Rufus.
Gilbertcat

Post by Gilbertcat »

Another thing (and all teams face this) is the length of some games. 3-1/2 hours in the heat can lead to people leaving early when the buzz goes away. Basketball is 2 hours generally.
FightWildcatsFight

Post by FightWildcatsFight »

Gilbertcat wrote:Another thing (and all teams face this) is the length of some games. 3-1/2 hours in the heat can lead to people leaving early when the buzz goes away. Basketball is 2 hours generally.
This.

Attendance at the Washington game was awful. Not only was it relatively early on a Saturday, it was also really hot.
Fishclamps

Post by Fishclamps »

FightWildcatsFight wrote:
Gilbertcat wrote:Another thing (and all teams face this) is the length of some games. 3-1/2 hours in the heat can lead to people leaving early when the buzz goes away. Basketball is 2 hours generally.
This.

Attendance at the Washington game was awful. Not only was it relatively early on a Saturday, it was also really hot.
And I left that game like a fucking moron with 3 min to go. Heard it on the way back to my car though so there's that.
azpenguin

Post by azpenguin »

Serving beer is not a magic bullet and it's not going to get thousands more people to come out to the game. If the thing keeping you away from a football game is the fact that you can't buy a $7 Bud Light (which O am not sure even counts as beer) then you weren't going to be that interested in going anyway. The school doesn't want the extra problems of fans getting drunk during the games anyway. Security is busy enough in the stadium.
This is a legit problem. It's not just during the day games, either. Remember the 8 pm kickoff against UCLA in 2013? ESPN took a ton of commercial breaks - at one stretch there were four TV timeouts in the stretch of nine plays - and I didn't get home until after midnight. The games are really long and a lot of people don't want to commit to four hours plus the time to drive, park, walk to the stadium, and then to get back home after.
RazorsEdgeAZ

Post by RazorsEdgeAZ »

Mixed feelings on the attendance subject. This is a general problem throughout the FBS. It's a bigger problem for traditional institutions that have had 70K plus attendance and reaped the 70K plus revenue year after year. Now they're struggling to maintain and dropping revenue (eg. Michigan).

Lots of reasons, but my best guess it's TV and TV game saturation. So many games now on TV. All leagues. Imagine it's tough for some college football fans to leave home watching a NON Arizona game match-up(s) on TV to leave the TV to head to the stadium. Especially when they can watch the game from their home and the conveniences that comes with that. Including with some games the ability to use the remote to switch back and forth to other games with closer scores or intriguing match-ups (replay, analysis, better view, bathroom, cheaper food, time, parking, temps, watch parties).

If you look at Arizona's attendance since 90's, it fluctuates. Fluctuates within the margins. Doesn't seem to impact directly the number of games Arizona wins or loses. Stoops years had some of the best attendance years BUT Rich Rod's first two years here, attendance lower than Stoops but RR matched Stoops best years in win column each of those years.

Stoops best attendance year 2006, went 6-6.

Six of Stoops seasons, AZ had much better attendance average than LY's 50,710 average under RR. Four of those seasons Arizona had Less wins than RR's worst 8-5. Attendance doesn't seem to translate Directly to wins/losses. Attendance beneficial, don't misinterpret what I'm saying.

Last years attendance 50,710, pretty similar to Arizona's 1998 season that went 12-1. I'm not overly concerned that it impacts wins/loses. (I'm NOT saying fans shouldn't support AZ via attendance). Not overly concerned impacts recruiting. Ultimately recruits go where they feel is their best shot/opportunity and be on TV.

So I think #BeTheOne is primarily for a revenue issue. Especially where the administration coming from. Greg Byrne multiple times lists Arizona Football attendance as a top priority and top concern. He's been on record that attendance an area where it can impact revenue faster than other areas (opportunity). Sure stay entire game, that's an issue.

Arizona Basketball ticket sales slightly more than Football FY2014 ($7,500,000). But McKale always sold out or near capacity year-in, year-out.

Arizona Football has room to grow. Had ticket sales of $6,700,000 FY2014. Arizona reported $763,000 "program sales and concessions" total for EACH Basketball and Football FY2014.

Rough math for Football, is $23-$27 per person at a football game. Sell out Arizona Stadium for a season, Arizona net upwards to another $1 million annually.

Eventually I think Arizona will add the mandatory student athletic fee that ASU implemented. That's Big $$. Bryne has already said he couldn't rule it out because they have to compete.

Need $$ to get more nice things and keep good coaches.
Last edited by RazorsEdgeAZ on Fri May 15, 2015 11:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

azpenguin wrote:Serving beer is not a magic bullet and it's not going to get thousands more people to come out to the game. If the thing keeping you away from a football game is the fact that you can't buy a $7 Bud Light (which O am not sure even counts as beer) then you weren't going to be that interested in going anyway. The school doesn't want the extra problems of fans getting drunk during the games anyway. Security is busy enough in the stadium.
This is a legit problem. It's not just during the day games, either. Remember the 8 pm kickoff against UCLA in 2013? ESPN took a ton of commercial breaks - at one stretch there were four TV timeouts in the stretch of nine plays - and I didn't get home until after midnight. The games are really long and a lot of people don't want to commit to four hours plus the time to drive, park, walk to the stadium, and then to get back home after.
West Virginia saw alcohol related issues drop quite a bit when they began serving beer. And they are a rowdy fan base. Also saw an attendance rise. Basically your post is wrong.

RazorsEdgeAZ

Post by RazorsEdgeAZ »

ASUHATER! wrote: West Virginia saw alcohol related issues drop quite a bit when they began serving beer. And they are a rowdy fan base. Also saw an attendance rise. Basically your post is wrong.
WV Alcohol sales didn't really affect attendance. WV still trying to recover/match the attendance average (still marginal) from mid-late Rich Rod years. It did bring them $700k more revenue with relative same attendance average just prior to post alcohol sales. And Binge drinking and incidents did reportedly drop significantly post beer sales.

WV Attendance

2014 56,686
2013 52,910
2012 55,916
2011 56,532 Beer Sales Begin
2010 56,325
2009 57,317
2008 58,085
2007 60,400
2006 58,773
2005 56,287
2004 56,545
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

The income and drop in binge drinking incidents alone negate any anti beer sales arguments. No reason to not do it, as long as it is done in a professional manner.

PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

I wouldn't say that is a rise in attendance
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
CatsbyAZ

Post by CatsbyAZ »

Someone already said it.

I'll say it again.

Arizona football attendance is less an Arizona football problem and much more a national sports problem.

It's one thing for a noontime, weekday Cleveland Indians game to have no one in the upper deck, it's completely another when you see how many empty seats happen all throughout the NFL and NBA seasons, and at traditional football powers like Michigan, Iowa, UCLA, and Miami last year. It's even more like Cleveland at a Cal Bears game.
“The force behind the movement of time is a mourning that will not be comforted.” author Marilynne Robinson
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

I've heard Alabama fans say that it's been a struggle to fill their student section the last 3 years

the real dill

Post by the real dill »

ASUHATER! wrote:I've heard Alabama fans say that it's been a struggle to fill their student section the last 3 years
The student sections at Texas games are always weak unless it's a big game. Even, then, they are empty until the secound quarter and start emptying out midway through the 4th. Students always cry about wanting better seat,s but who wants a big empty section at midfield for kickoff on national tv?
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

I don't understand why they can't have assigned seats for the students. That's the way it was when I was at UofA.
Every dorm and frat/sorority would buy up a big block of tickets.

That way, the students don't have to show up 2 hours before the game and have their buzz wear off by halftime.
It's like six hours inside the stadum if you have to get there over two hours early.

And we could leave and come back after halftime. Circle K or a keg in the dorm. :)
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
splitsecond

Post by splitsecond »

As I said before, for me personally it's alcohol sales and atmosphere, and how much of a ROYAL PAIN IN THE ASS it is to tailgate, the latter being the biggest issue. I know a lot of people disagree with me, but I can basically afford to dedicate the time to one sport season a year - and I have been a Cardinals ticketholder for several years now.

To me the choice is simple:

1. Tailgating is super easy - I can pull in set my gear up in 15 minutes in my spot, and hang out for hours. None of this restricted area crap. No having to show up at stupid hours to get in. I realize this is a space issue, but come on. You want people at the games? Want them to buy tickets? INCLUDE PARKING WITH TAILGATING INCLUDED.
2. I can buy alcohol at the games
3. DESIGNATED SMOKING AREAS - Spare me the habit/cancer remarks. A lot of people smoke. Arizona's archaic re-entry rules and unconstitutional smoking ban force patrons to hide in stairwells to smoke by the dozens. In contrast, U of P stadium has designated areas to smoke OUTSIDE where vendors come in and sell beer during halftime.
4. Atmosphere. I truly do not understand people who claim the atmosphere is better at a college game than an NFL game. Anywhere above row 10-15 on the west side of Arizona stadium is absolutely brutal when the game isn't on the line.
5. LENGTH OF THE GAME - this is a big one too. All of the time stops in college football make the games brutally long - up to an hour longer than and NFL game.
the real dill

Post by the real dill »

Chicat

Post by Chicat »

I miss college.

Not that that was my experience at all, but I like to lie to myself and say that it was just like that. All kinds of titties and ass shakin in my drunk face daily.

Actually, come to think of it, it kind of was like that....

Man I miss college.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Sage&Silver

Post by Sage&Silver »

UAEebs86 wrote:I don't understand why they can't have assigned seats for the students. That's the way it was when I was at UofA.

That way, the students don't have to show up 2 hours before the game and have their buzz wear off by halftime.
It's like six hours inside the stadum if you have to get there over two hours early.

And we could leave and come back after halftime. Circle K or a keg in the dorm. :)
I thought students don't show up until the second quarter?

The two hour thing is just for the clowns who want to get their game-day costume on TV. Lots of good, actually better spots still available close to kickoff.

Plus, you can always move wherever you want when everyone leaves at halftime. :D

As I understand it, ASU started something that would help with the Zoo's bell-curve situation. Each area of the student section has a corresponding wrist band color. The students can stop by the ticket office day-of-game to get one. As long as you get yours around the same time your friends do, you'll be in the same section.

Don't know what the drawbacks might be but it would keep the Zoo looking full on TV at least.
azthrillhouse

Post by azthrillhouse »

UAEebs86 wrote:I don't understand why they can't have assigned seats for the students. That's the way it was when I was at UofA.

This is the single easiest thing to change, and they should (either with assigned seats or a "hybrid" approach like the ASU armband thing mentioned below). If nothing else it is a safety issue in the hotter months, that should be enough for them to make the change. However, that won't impact the number of people coming through the turnstile, it will just help them stay once they are there.

To me it's very simple - as U.S. sports leagues have chased television revenue, they have made decisions that are diametrically opposed to decisions that would maximize attendance. TV timeouts are one example, "flexible scheduling" is another. Hearing ADs and commissioners bemoan attendance in light of these decisions and the resulting wave of TV cash that has come in is annoying and disingenuous.

Not that I am advocating doing what soccer does and slap advertising on the uniforms....but I don't think they have had the same problem of declining attendance (I might be wrong) - they chose to pimp out the uniforms rather than alter the game experience.
CatsbyAZ

Post by CatsbyAZ »

Oh shoot, one of the dudes in that vid is my cousin. Completely forgot he pledged to D-Sig.
“The force behind the movement of time is a mourning that will not be comforted.” author Marilynne Robinson
ANGCatFan

Post by ANGCatFan »

From the President of the University of Maryland:
Proposal for beer/wine at venues on a trial basis

Dear University of Maryland community,

After extended and careful consideration, the University has submitted a proposal to the Prince George's County Board of License Commissioners ("Board") for permission to serve beer and wine at UMD athletic venues starting in fall 2015, on a one-year trial basis. This Board has agreed to consider our request at an upcoming meeting (to be announced).
the real dill

Post by the real dill »

The University of Texas at Austin has approved the sale of beer at Darrell K Royal – Texas Memorial Stadium for the 2015 season, according to two sources close to the situation.

Texas athletics began selling beer at other athletic events, including basketball, baseball and softball, in 2014, but had not yet approved a plan for football games. Initially, Texas had used the sale of alcohol at the other events as a smaller-scale case study to determine its effect at sporting events on campus.

Two weeks ago, new University president Gregory Fenves said there have been no issues at other events during his introductory press conference. .

http://texas.247sports.com/Article/UT-A ... 5-37806240
splitsecond

Post by splitsecond »

the real dill wrote:The University of Texas at Austin has approved the sale of beer at Darrell K Royal – Texas Memorial Stadium for the 2015 season, according to two sources close to the situation.

Texas athletics began selling beer at other athletic events, including basketball, baseball and softball, in 2014, but had not yet approved a plan for football games. Initially, Texas had used the sale of alcohol at the other events as a smaller-scale case study to determine its effect at sporting events on campus.

Two weeks ago, new University president Gregory Fenves said there have been no issues at other events during his introductory press conference. .

I would say this could be the first domino.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

splitsecond wrote:
the real dill wrote:The University of Texas at Austin has approved the sale of beer at Darrell K Royal – Texas Memorial Stadium for the 2015 season, according to two sources close to the situation.

I would say this could be the first domino.
It wouldn't be the first domino as there are a number of schools that already sell beer at football games.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

But it's the first major blueblood to do it.

RazorsEdgeAZ

Post by RazorsEdgeAZ »

Heard Greg Byrne on radio interview this morning "tease" future plans wanting to remove all bleacher seats in AZ Stadium and replace with chair back seating like NEZ.

Approach was to help with attendance and for more people to stay entire game. That admin has noticed that consistently at end of games, NEZ is consistently the area of stadium that stays "full".

Though GB quoted a $125 million dollar price tag to do this correctly (also bathroom / etc upgrades). That's a big number.
Sage&Silver

Post by Sage&Silver »

RazorsEdgeAZ wrote:Heard Greg Byrne on radio interview this morning "tease" future plans wanting to remove all bleacher seats in AZ Stadium and replace with chair back seating like NEZ.

Approach was to help with attendance and for more people to stay entire game. That admin has noticed that consistently at end of games, NEZ is consistently the area of stadium that stays "full".

Though GB quoted a $125 million dollar price tag to do this correctly (also bathroom / etc upgrades). That's a big number.
between the re-configuring projects at both end zones, Wikipedia says the stadium lost 71 seats.

Any idea how low capacity would be if the whole stadium is converted?
RazorsEdgeAZ

Post by RazorsEdgeAZ »

Sage&Silver wrote:between the re-configuring projects at both end zones, Wikipedia says the stadium lost 71 seats.

Any idea how low capacity would be if the whole stadium is converted?
No, GB didn't mention capacity if converted. I posted because it was GB who used the term "tease" for the project as if was becoming a formality and direction they were going.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

total guess here but I would assume we would lose several thousand seats that way. still think it's a good idea though. keep the bleachers in the zona zoo.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

It would probably reduce the capacity by upwards of 4-5 thousand

HaCats

Post by HaCats »

Yeah, was thinking the same thing.....was about to say that would take us from about 56k to 50k, just my personal guess.

When only Oregon, USC, UCLA and asu gets us a full 56.........are those extra 6,000 sold tickets once or maybe twice a year worth looking at the 10,000 or so empty seats in all the other games? I'm starting to think no. The trend is going the way of smaller more intimate stadiums, and I think having individual chair back seats across the whole stadium.....on top of the comfort level for fans, would just be a better visual having the stadium always looking full. And for the 359 days a year with no game, it would make the stadium look more bad ass to recruits are visiting (another sign to recruits that football is a priority).

I remember in the Tomey years, long before the advent of high definition TV, social media and all the other things that are driving down attendance nationwide.........there would be occasional back and forth with the die hards about whether Arizona Stadium should be expanded and where on the stadium another deck could be built. That sure sounds ridiculous in 2015 when I think about it.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

The smaller stadium trend is definitely true in the nfl. It's about quality instead of quantity. People going to games want nice seats and shade and craft beer and wifi and a good food selection if they are going to actually go instead of watch on tv. I'm fine with a capacity of 50k if we have a fancy upgraded stadium.

ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

HaCats wrote:Yeah, was thinking the same thing.....was about to say that would take us from about 56k to 50k, just my personal guess.

When only Oregon, USC, UCLA and asu gets us a full 56.........are those extra 6,000 sold tickets once or maybe twice a year worth looking at the 10,000 or so empty seats in all the other games? I'm starting to think no. The trend is going the way of smaller more intimate stadiums, and I think having individual chair back seats across the whole stadium.....on top of the comfort level for fans, would just be a better visual having the stadium always looking full. And for the 359 days a year with no game, it would make the stadium look more bad ass to recruits are visiting (another sign to recruits that football is a priority).

I remember in the Tomey years, long before the advent of high definition TV, social media and all the other things that are driving down attendance nationwide.........there would be occasional back and forth with the die hards about whether Arizona Stadium should be expanded and where on the stadium another deck could be built. That sure sounds ridiculous in 2015 when I think about it.
Which is strange because our attendance under RR and stoops is far better than it was under tomey. In the 12-1 1998 season our attendance was like 44k a game...like 11-12k empty seats every game. Far worse than anything in the last decade.

PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

My guess is that it would reduce capacity by a seat or two seats a row or so. Couple thousand reduction. Too bad Tucson just doesn't buy into this team that much.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

The attendance will be better this year. Still a mediocre home slate though in utsa, nau, Oregon state, Washington state, Utah and ucla. If we win 9+ games again though it should really pay off in attendance in 2016 with a much more attractive home slate of grambling, hawaii, Colorado, Washington, Stanford, Usc and Asu.

PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

ASUHATER! wrote:The attendance will be better this year. Still a mediocre home slate though in utsa, nau, Oregon state, Washington state, Utah and ucla. If we win 9+ games again though it should really pay off in attendance in 2016 with a much more attractive home slate of grambling, hawaii, Colorado, Washington, Stanford, Usc and Asu.
That is much more attractive? Where do you get off saying that? USC and aSU of course but that non conference is worse than 2015. UCLA and Utah are better than Colorado Washington and Stanford from an attendance standpoint.

With a city the size of Tucson and a team and coach as good as we have it, Tucson needs to be behind this team much more regardless who the Cats are playing. Phoenix too I suppose to a lesser extent.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Colorado, Uw, Stanford, asu, Usc>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>ucla, utah, Oregon state, wsu

HaCats

Post by HaCats »

Come on PhxCats, the 2016 slate has WAY more sexy matchups than 2015 and it isn't even close. Just the way it is, even years always better than the odd years for home matchups as we always have asu and USC at home.

Damn, on a side note I forgot we have 7 homes games in 16' PLUS BYU in Glendale to start the season.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Yup only true roadies are ucla, utah, osu and wsu

PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

HaCats wrote:Come on PhxCats, the 2016 slate has WAY more sexy matchups than 2015 and it isn't even close. Just the way it is, even years always better than the odd years for home matchups as we always have asu and USC at home.

Damn, on a side note I forgot we have 7 homes games in 16' PLUS BYU in Glendale to start the season.
Better but not that much in my opinion but we can just leave it at that.

I hope people in Tucson support the game in Glendale but I have my doubts and concerns,
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Considering the attendance we had for the fiesta bowl and the Vegas bowl and if we do well this year, I feel confident in us having a good 25k show up in Glendale next year.

PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

ASUHATER! wrote:Considering the attendance we had for the fiesta bowl and the Vegas bowl and if we do well this year, I feel confident in us having a good 25k show up in Glendale next year.
That is a great number if that is Tucson residents going. Awful number if total UA fans.

UA had more than 25k at the fiesta bowl this year
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

If we actually defend the south title this year and finish in the top 15...I'd expect 35k for byu. But either way it will be half byu fans. They travel really well and all of the East Valley Mormons who usually root for asu will put on their BYU shirts and come to the game

PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

ASUHATER! wrote:If we actually defend the south title this year and finish in the top 15...I'd expect 35k for byu. But either way it will be half byu fans. They travel really well and all of the East Valley Mormons who usually root for asu will put on their BYU shirts and come to the game
What are the increases when BYU plays IN Tucson or Tempe vs average for those years? I bet it is not that high. There are more CCatholicCatholics in Mesa than Mormons. No way it will be half. Unless no one from Tucson goes to the game.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

BYU playing a true road game in Tucson is much different than a 50/50 neutral game. apples and oranges