68 David Catalano and Tedy Bruschi

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

ANGCatFan

68 David Catalano and Tedy Bruschi

Post by ANGCatFan »

Catalano is a 6-2, 286, redshirt Senior grad transfer from San Jose State and CDO HS, Tucson, AZ. One of the key guys competing for the starting center spot this year, Catalano enrolled in January and has been working hard with Kyle Quinn to try and learn how to be a center after playing guard his final year at SJSU.

Catalano had an interesting if not stellar career at SJSU. He enrolled early and then redshirted as a true Freshman. In 2012 he played in 9 games as a reserve on the defensive line recording 9 tackles and 4 for a loss. He spent his redshirt Sophomore year injured and was moved to the offensive line while also finishing his degree and graduating last year with a degree in Business Management from the schools honors program. Catalano was an offensive guard on the team last fall while a graduate student, but did not appear in any games.

After last season, the new coaching staff told Catalano, along with several other players, they would not be renewing their scholarships for the next season. I could not find any indication the players were relieved for discipline or behavior issue. Instead, it looks like the coaches used the year to year scholarship ploy to clear players out and make room for their own guys. Not only was Catalano not a discipline problem he won multiple academic, leadership and community service awards while at SJSU.

Normally, I wouldn't have any expectations of a grad transfer with no starting experience being able to win a starting job with Arizona, but Catalano may have a shot. First, he is smart and hungry. He already has a degree and a year of grad school, but is still motivated to prove something on the football field. Second, Catalano is strong. From AZ Desert Storm, "He's a strong kid," Rodriguez said of Catalano. "He came here and broke several of our records already so you can tell he likes the weight room. He's got a great attitude, and I think he just wanted a shot." Finally, he is a local kid from CDO and I am a sucker for the local kid turning into a starter for the Wildcats.

The center position will be one of the most open and important battles this fall and Catalano enters the camp as one of the top 3 for the position along with Carter Wood and Zach Hemmila.

Tedy Bruschi is one of 9 Arizona players to have their jerseys retired and one of 4 Wildcats in the College Football Hall of Fame. He played at Arizona from 1991 to 1995 and was a key part of Arizona's famous Desert Swarm defense and a consensus All-American in 1994 and 1995. He finished his career with 185 tackles (74 for a loss), 6 forced fumbles, and tied the NCAA record with 52 sacks.

Here is a little bit from Anthony Gimino on Brushci:
Bruschi defied the recruiting expectations from the day he stepped onto Arizona’s campus, starting the first game he played as a true freshman in 1991. His season was cut short by injuries, and he received a medical redshirt before he and Arizona’s Desert Swarm defense emerged in 1992.

Bruschi, a high-energy sackmaster off the edge who worked in perfect tandem with the College Football Hall of Famer Rob Waldrop at defensive tackle, put the joy into those early 1990s defenses. Bruschi was the team’s smiling face, the emotional heart of one of the best defenses in college football history.

He had 19 sacks in 1993 — more than Arizona has had as a team in each of the past two seasons — and helped the Cats lead the nation in rushing defense (30.1 yards per game).
Ok, say it with me. You know you want to. Bruuuuuuuuuuuuuschi!