33 Scooby Wright III

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

splitsecond

Re: 33 Scooby Wright III

Post by splitsecond »

azpenguin wrote:He should go pro if he's a first or second round lock. Otherwise there's some thinking to do. Staying the extra year often works out badly for someone who is supposed to be in the top of the draft, but it's really really hard to make it in the NFL, so if you're not a first or second round grade then you have to do a risk/reward analysis. If the school can get him loss of value insurance, that might tilt the scales if he's not getting a draft grade. But again, he has to do what he has to do and the one thing that anyone can hope for is that he gets sound advice.
Honestly the problem is, with his size and position he won't ever be a first round lock. If he goes in this year, I think he is still a 2-3 round pick. His peak is always going to be mid/high second round similar to Daryl Washingon or Kiko Alonso, who play similar games and have similar size.
Last edited by splitsecond on Thu Oct 22, 2015 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dirtbags

Post by dirtbags »

splitsecond wrote:Honestly the problem is, with his size and position he won't ever be a first round lock. If he goes in this year, I think he is still a 2-3 round pick. His peak is always going to be mid/high first round similar to Daryl Washingon or Kiko Alonso, who play similar games and have similar size.

current / future dat nguyen
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

Scooby is not coming back
2004 First Team All American Football Poster as voted on by GOAZCATS
Carcassdragger

Post by Carcassdragger »

Newportcat wrote:Scooby is not coming back
Is this from a reliable source, or just opinion?
2020 BEARDOWN WILDCATS RAP Champion
2018 BEARDOWN WILDCATS SURVIVAL POOL Champion
2017 BEARDOWN WILDCATS RAP Champion
2013 GOAZCATS SURVIVAL POOL Champion
catinfl

Post by catinfl »

There has been a lot of buzz about Scoob not coming back been on twitter and if he goes I wish him the best and he's earned everything he gets, but he's gonna have to finish the season strong if he wants to be where he was projected at the start of the season. If he doesn't do well in the last few games I could see him coming back and Im not completely convinced he's gone just yet because a lot of people for some reason don't think he's athletic? (I don't get it). And because of that thought people are saying 3-4th round pick and that may not be appealing, but Scooby would do well in a combine setting
splitsecond

Post by splitsecond »

dirtbags wrote:
splitsecond wrote:Honestly the problem is, with his size and position he won't ever be a first round lock. If he goes in this year, I think he is still a 2-3 round pick. His peak is always going to be mid/high first round similar to Daryl Washingon or Kiko Alonso, who play similar games and have similar size.

current / future dat nguyen
Thats a good comparison, but Scooby is a couple inches taller. I still like the Bruschi comparison the best.
dirtbags

Post by dirtbags »

that works. :D
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

carcassdragger wrote:
Reliable source
Salty

Post by Salty »

Newportcat wrote:
carcassdragger wrote:
Reliable source
Really? Yikes...

I wouldn't consider Scooby much higher than a 5th or 6th rounder at this point.

He's considered slow, undersized, and now he's injury prone. I just assumed that his senior year was a given.

But hey, good luck to him if he goes. Beating Oregon and asu last year was pretty great and without him that wouldn't have happened.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Scooby this year is proving why he should be named our defensive MVP.
catinfl

Post by catinfl »

Salty wrote:
Newportcat wrote:
carcassdragger wrote:
Reliable source
Really? Yikes...

I wouldn't consider Scooby much higher than a 5th or 6th rounder at this point.

He's considered slow, undersized, and now he's injury prone. I just assumed that his senior year was a given.

But hey, good luck to him if he goes. Beating Oregon and asu last year was pretty great and without him that wouldn't have happened.
Scouts think he's slow, but that's really not the case. Dude will do really good at the combine and will finish the season.
azpenguin

Post by azpenguin »

I'm still 50/50 on him going pro but we'll see; I've been wrong on "will they go" predictions before.

He's just such a huge part of the D. When those linemen aren't getting the pressure he takes advantage and blows through the holes created by blockers being occupied.
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

SCCats

Post by SCCats »

From RR's press conference it seems like no Scooby and no Turituri this week for USC
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Might as well save them for the next beat down, maybe hold them until the next home game v. Utah to bring the fans out.
Gimino

Post by Gimino »

I wrote about Scooby last week. Reading between the lines from his dad, Scooby is not playing again, unless the Cats get to a bowl game.

TucsonNewsNow.com
Salty

Post by Salty »

Gimino wrote:I wrote about Scooby last week. Reading between the lines from his dad, Scooby is not playing again, unless the Cats get to a bowl game.

TucsonNewsNow.com
I honestly cannot imagine an NFL program taking a risk on him before the 4th round...
catinfl

Post by catinfl »

Salty wrote:
Gimino wrote:I wrote about Scooby last week. Reading between the lines from his dad, Scooby is not playing again, unless the Cats get to a bowl game.

TucsonNewsNow.com
I honestly cannot imagine an NFL program taking a risk on him before the 4th round...
taking a risk on a kid who put up crazy numbers and has two not really serious injures? Scooby might not be projected super high, but I can pretty much guarantee he will shine at the combine. Dude is a freak. Probably won't come back, but who knows a fourth round grade might send him back. Doubt it's anything less than third round though.
Scummy Dick Douglas

Post by Scummy Dick Douglas »

There is plenty of tape on Scooby. The only thing that will really help his draft stock now is to do well at the combine. Might as well just focus on getting in combine shape.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

yeah sucks but it is true. I would absolutely tell Scooby to go after this year.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

I wouldn't blame Scooby one bit.....

But it would really suck as an AZ fan to have Gronk and now Scooby's AZ career to end like this.

Life as an AZ fan...
azpenguin

Post by azpenguin »

catinfl wrote:
Salty wrote:

TucsonNewsNow.com
taking a risk on a kid who put up crazy numbers and has two not really serious injures? Scooby might not be projected super high, but I can pretty much guarantee he will shine at the combine. Dude is a freak. Probably won't come back, but who knows a fourth round grade might send him back. Doubt it's anything less than third round though.
IIRC they now only give out first or second round grades, or no grade given. If they don't give you a grade things get murky fast and then you're relying on agents and whispers for advice. If he's got the first or second round grade, there's nothing for him to gain by staying. Recent CFB history is littered with guys who came back when they were guaranteed first rounders and lost ground. If you don't get that high grade, you have to step back and look at things. No matter how good you are, it's really damn hard to stick in the league and those high draft spots give you a measure of security. He'll do what he needs to do either way; all that anyone can hope for is that he gets sound advice to make the right decision.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

If the UA ends with 3 more beat downs and no bowl game, I imagine Scooby will be very much less inclined to come back to a dumpster fire with a change in at least the defense and defensive staff.

In a traditional defense Scooby will not get the numbers he did last year. The 3-3-5 is setup for LBs to get the tackles and sacks.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Only change in defense and defensive staff is if rr goes

A change could also showcase him more in a NFL style defense

If merk thinks Scooby is a system lb wouldn't nfl gms?
Last edited by PHXCATS on Tue Nov 03, 2015 10:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
catinfl

Post by catinfl »

Merkin wrote:If the UA ends with 3 more beat downs and no bowl game, I imagine Scooby will be very much less inclined to come back to a dumpster fire with a change in at least the defense and defensive staff.

In a traditional defense Scooby will not get the numbers he did last year. The 3-3-5 is setup for LBs to get the tackles and sacks.
We lose Parks, Gilbert, and Allah. Allah isn't that big of a loss and is constantly getting pulled for Flannigan. Parks and Gilbert are our better players, but we return everyone else which as you can see from the jump of 2012-2013 defense actually helps. True Freshman like Flannigan, Whittaker, and Morrison will get a year in the S&C department and get bigger which is their problem right now. Bruno, Fumiano, Zellers, Banda, and Fotu are back on the line. Add in some of the RS guys and maybe some of the true freshman and we add a little more depth there. Ippollitto, Turituri, Scooby (maybe), Matthews, and Miller. Add in transfer John Kenny, Kendal Franklin, and Jacob Colacion and we might actually have depth. Maybe Ware pulls his head out of his ass and plays to his potential. I'm not expecting a good defense by any means, but we return a heck of a lot more players that now have experience. Add in Iakopo and Hayes which I'm very high on both. We'll see how it plays out, but we are really young on defense and it shows, but these kids are gonna grow in the system much like the 2012 players.
eoe

Post by eoe »

PHXCATS wrote:Only change in defense and defensive staff is if rr goes

Yeah, not sure why this is even being discussed

We were told repeatedly RR and Co. Are awful at recruiting on the defensive side without Casteel and that he would never ever budge on dumping Casteel. The 3-3-5 will never go away unless RR goes too. Accept it.

I will say that all the harping about the weakness on that end of the ball is being exaggerated. We have absolutely been demolished with issues on that end. No defensive scheme in the world survives the injuries and recruiting misses we've had there. If he have Mckenzie and Tabor on D along with a healthy Scooby, Turituri, and Ippolito, this D is nasty. Alas, things didn't pan out that way and here we are.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Merkin

Post by Merkin »

No harm in that, just like a basketball junior testing the waters.

Too bad that it sounds like Scooby is still recovering, so no Utah.
RazorsEdgeAZ

Post by RazorsEdgeAZ »

What is Scooby's foot injury specifically?

Still have thoughts that He has meniscus cleanup surgery, comes back in 2-3 weeks. Has some form of foot injury, not broken, not bad enough to be able to claim medical redshirt, out 6+ weeks.

I know trainers were mentioned vaguely today, but have they not cleared him or they were asked not to clear him? Don't think Scooby and family can make that decision on their own and still have scholarship benefits. Can we throw out there it's coordinated non-clearance?

Could be wrong, but sure seems clear Scooby can train on his own, avoid injury, get an NFL draft eval, and declare if favorable is what the family and school coordinated game plan is here. If unfavorable eval, then keep scholarship and state was not "cleared" to play.

But really, what was the specific diagnosis of foot injury?
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

RazorsEdgeAZ wrote:But really, what was the specific diagnosis of foot injury?
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

No idea, but according to this it's up to Scooby when he is ready to return. Also don't think a medical redshirt is in the works, he still has a year left even if he does come back, however unlikely.
RazorsEdgeAZ

Post by RazorsEdgeAZ »

Right. Foot sprain.

Remember Rich Rod stating injury not bad enough to be able to attempt a medical redshirt. I hope Scooby gets a favorable Draft eval.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Must be at least Grade II.

There are three levels of foot sprains.

Grade I, minor. You have small tears in the ligaments.
Grade II, moderate. You have large tears in the ligaments.
Grade III, severe. The ligaments have completely torn from the bone.
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

eoe wrote:
PHXCATS wrote:Only change in defense and defensive staff is if rr goes

Yeah, not sure why this is even being discussed

We were told repeatedly RR and Co. Are awful at recruiting on the defensive side without Casteel and that he would never ever budge on dumping Casteel. The 3-3-5 will never go away unless RR goes too. Accept it.

I will say that all the harping about the weakness on that end of the ball is being exaggerated. We have absolutely been demolished with issues on that end. No defensive scheme in the world survives the injuries and recruiting misses we've had there. If he have Mckenzie and Tabor on D along with a healthy Scooby, Turituri, and Ippolito, this D is nasty. Alas, things didn't pan out that way and here we are.
Was that a serious comment? If I was born with Tiger Woods'natural ability, then... well, I think you get the point.

Turituri and Ippolito's absence make this defense worse; their inclusion does not put it in the same hemisphere as "nasty". The fact that Ippolito is missed (despite the fact that he is fat and slow) so badly points to other causes for concern.

Tabor? Not at "OKG" who probably would not even be on the roster by now. McKenzie? Since when do we give a pass for recruiting misses that were never coming here to begin with? Imagine if we had landed Justise Winslow and Jahlil Okafor....

The only way this defense is "NASTY" is if we have 11 Scooby Wrights running around on the field at once. Instead, losing the ONE we have turns us from really bad to awful.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Hansen pretty confident that Scooby will play Saturday
Gimino

Post by Gimino »

If anybody thinks Scooby Wright is playing this week, please contact me ... I will take all bets to the contrary.
pokinmik

Post by pokinmik »

Gimino wrote:If anybody thinks Scooby Wright is playing this week, please contact me ... I will take all bets to the contrary.
Ha, I agree. Scooby should be focusing on getting healthy and going pro. It's simply the smart thing to do.
Sid

Post by Sid »

Gimino wrote:If anybody thinks Scooby Wright is playing this week, please contact me ... I will take all bets to the contrary.
Yep. Healing up for individual workouts & the combine.

Fun while it lasted, wish this stud all the best.

BTFD Scooby!
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

So you think Hansen is doing this for attention? Or just has wrong idea on information?
azpenguin

Post by azpenguin »

After Hansen's tweet, this is great. Sportswriter cage match (I'll throw down $20 on AG)
Gimino

Post by Gimino »

At the same time, I DO expect Scooby to play in the bowl game (but he still has some healing to do). ... will take bets on that, too.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

If he gets hurt in the ASU game that might blow his chance to heal up again by the combine, besides having an injury prone label. Just cheer from the sideline Scooby!

99.999% v. absolute?
azpenguin

Post by azpenguin »

Gimino wrote:At the same time, I DO expect Scooby to play in the bowl game (but he still has some healing to do). ... will take bets on that, too.
What's your odds on him going to the draft? My own guess is 50/50 due to risk of slipping to the lower rounds with limited playing time this year, but it's just that - a guess.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Yeah I can see him playing the bowl. By then he'll have had a good 3 months since the UCLA game to heal.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
Scummy Dick Douglas

Post by Scummy Dick Douglas »

ASUHATER! wrote:Yeah I can see him playing the bowl. By then he'll have had a good 3 months since the UCLA game to heal.
Why play in the bowl? He has nothing to gain and won't be in game shape. His focus should be putting up ridiculous numbers at the combine and improving his draft stock.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

By that logic no one on our team will be in game shape for our bowl as we'll have a good 5 weeks off before it.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

I imagine Scooby wants to go out with one last game playing with the team, unlike Gronk (Sr.?) who did just want to prepare for the draft.
Gimino

Post by Gimino »

Scummy Dick Douglas wrote:
ASUHATER! wrote:Yeah I can see him playing the bowl. By then he'll have had a good 3 months since the UCLA game to heal.
Why play in the bowl? He has nothing to gain and won't be in game shape. His focus should be putting up ridiculous numbers at the combine and improving his draft stock.
That's the thing. If the game is not for another five weeks or longer, he'll have a good chance of being in game shape. By this Saturday? I'd give that a 0.001 chance. Why play? To know for sure, we'll have to ask if/when time comes.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Has he been participating in practice at all?