33 Scooby Wright III

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

azpenguin

Re: 33 Scooby Wright III

Post by azpenguin »

Those times don't look all that good but then you have to remember that he simply gets to the football. He's as disruptive a LB as you'll see.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

azpenguin wrote:Those times don't look all that good but then you have to remember that he simply gets to the football. He's as disruptive a LB as you'll see.
Teams were always going to have to look past certain measurements when it came to Scooby, but yeah those workout numbers don't help. He may want to consider participating in the pro day.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
azpenguin

Post by azpenguin »

He will be at pro day; dad already told reporters that he's going.
Fishclamps

Post by Fishclamps »

http://www.theplayerstribune.com/scooby ... er-letter/" target="_blank

Maybe his letter will help change some minds.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Chicat

Post by Chicat »

That would be cool and all . . . except Seattle owns that pick.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
3goggles

Post by 3goggles »

Are we ready to say it was a mistake for scooby and jones to enter the draft
TuiTouchdown

Post by TuiTouchdown »

3goggles wrote:Are we ready to say it was a mistake for scooby and jones to enter the draft
Yes. And the way he fell in the draft, might as well throw in KaDeem as well. Not sure if these kids are getting sound advice or if this was something they could have controlled (Scooby didn't perform well at the combine and Jones has been sited as having character issues) but come on.

I know we were all probably hoping to hear their names in the first three rounds, but when you really think about it, why would an NFL team take a chance on an LB who was injured 95% of the year last year and who was one of the slower LBs at the combine. One more year of winning heaps of awards would have helped him break into the first 2 days of the draft.
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

Awards are meaningless to the NFL and so are stats. With injuries and coming back another year you are risking a year of being paid to play for free
TuiTouchdown

Post by TuiTouchdown »

MrBug708 wrote:Awards are meaningless to the NFL and so are stats. With injuries and coming back another year you are risking a year of being paid to play for free
Yeah I'm not saying they're the end-all be-all. But if he put up numbers like he did as a true soph, he would have been fine. Because whether we like it or not, perception and buzz play a huge roll in where these kids get drafted. Sure there's a risk playing another year, I get it, but if we're talking about whether Scooby's decision to leave early was a good one, we should look at the potential salary he left on the table if he would have had another productive year.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

TuiTouchdown wrote:
MrBug708 wrote:Awards are meaningless to the NFL and so are stats. With injuries and coming back another year you are risking a year of being paid to play for free
Yeah I'm not saying they're the end-all be-all. But if he put up numbers like he did as a true soph, he would have been fine. Because whether we like it or not, perception and buzz play a huge roll in where these kids get drafted. Sure there's a risk playing another year, I get it, but if we're talking about whether Scooby's decision to leave early was a good one, we should look at the potential salary he left on the table if he would have had another productive year.
And the potential salary he could have forfeited altogether if he came back and got injured again.

I still think Scooby leaving early was a good move, even being picked outside round 3. Jones, not so much.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Blake Martinez to the Packers. Heard they liked Scooby, but took a different Tucson LB.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
3goggles

Post by 3goggles »

You also risk not playing and not getting paid by the nfl!
splitsecond

Post by splitsecond »

Honestly we need to face the facts here: Kadeem fell because his combine was meh and Steve Slaton has forever made RichRod running backs be approached with skepticism.

Scooby fell because of the injury, his height, and the poor combine.

Our guys and most Pac 12 guys outside of Los Angeles and Santa Clara have a hill to climb because they are not in the other Power 5 conferences. Let's just be real about it. This is also the main reason we have so much trouble landing 4 and 5 star recruits. It's not the coaches, it's not the system. We are an "other" Pac 12 program.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Chris Henry might disagree. All about the combine numbers IMO

Has he been drafted yet?
Last edited by azcat49 on Sat Apr 30, 2016 12:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
tgrumpy2

Post by tgrumpy2 »

Some of you folks have some real strange logic. It was a absolute mistake for Scooby to come out early. This was not a case of an athlete who's value was extremely high and by staying in college another year and risking injury he could lessen his value. This is an athlete that was already injured and his value was low for other reasons as well. What if he did stay and he did get hurt? Guess what Scooby had a redshirt year coming, he would have had yet another chance. Now if he gets hurt in an NFL camp, he's done. No guaranteed money, he's out. He gets to keep his bonus but at the level he's entering the NFL he would owe most of his bonus back to his agent for the money he was fronted. I dearly want Scooby to succeed but he should have stayed another year.
splitsecond

Post by splitsecond »

azcat49 wrote:Chris Henry might disagree. All about the combine numbers IMO

Has he been drafted yet?
DB's have a great reputation in the Pac as a whole, but yes a good combine can overcome anything. But no one makes excuses for bad combine numbers for Pac players like they do SEC players.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Scooby is going to be on Ballers?
-JB
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

What's crazy is that if he had come out after his sophomore year, he would have been a 2nd/3rd rounder. Is he fundamentally that much different a player now as opposed to then?
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

tgrumpy2 wrote:Some of you folks have some real strange logic. It was a absolute mistake for Scooby to come out early. This was not a case of an athlete who's value was extremely high and by staying in college another year and risking injury he could lessen his value. This is an athlete that was already injured and his value was low for other reasons as well. What if he did stay and he did get hurt? Guess what Scooby had a redshirt year coming, he would have had yet another chance. Now if he gets hurt in an NFL camp, he's done. No guaranteed money, he's out. He gets to keep his bonus but at the level he's entering the NFL he would owe most of his bonus back to his agent for the money he was fronted. I dearly want Scooby to succeed but he should have stayed another year.
Redshirt don't work like that. If he blows out his knee in week 5 or later, he can't redshirt, it's essentially done. At this point, being undrafted is a better situation so he can pick where he wants to go
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

TuiTouchdown

Post by TuiTouchdown »

MrBug708 wrote:
tgrumpy2 wrote:Some of you folks have some real strange logic. It was a absolute mistake for Scooby to come out early. This was not a case of an athlete who's value was extremely high and by staying in college another year and risking injury he could lessen his value. This is an athlete that was already injured and his value was low for other reasons as well. What if he did stay and he did get hurt? Guess what Scooby had a redshirt year coming, he would have had yet another chance. Now if he gets hurt in an NFL camp, he's done. No guaranteed money, he's out. He gets to keep his bonus but at the level he's entering the NFL he would owe most of his bonus back to his agent for the money he was fronted. I dearly want Scooby to succeed but he should have stayed another year.
Redshirt don't work like that. If he blows out his knee in week 5 or later, he can't redshirt, it's essentially done. At this point, being undrafted is a better situation so he can pick where he wants to go
It's obviously a gamble either way, but I don't think Scooby or Jones came out early to be undrafted free agents. They came out because they got draft grades that told them they'd hear their names called.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

TuiTouchdown wrote:
MrBug708 wrote:
It's obviously a gamble either way, but I don't think Scooby or Jones came out early to be undrafted free agents. They came out because they got draft grades that told them they'd hear their names called.
Absolutely. For Scoob, you'd think Rosenhaus would have a better pulse of his client's market.
3goggles

Post by 3goggles »

Damn will parks went before Scooby! Wow!!!
splitsecond

Post by splitsecond »

Chicat wrote:
TuiTouchdown wrote:
MrBug708 wrote:
Absolutely. For Scoob, you'd think Rosenhaus would have a better pulse of his client's market.
Rosenhaus is nowhere near the agent he used to be. Too many clients.
3goggles

Post by 3goggles »

Damn the Cowboys took a freaking basketball player then Scooby
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

The Jets just took an FCS punter instead of Scooby.
-JB
michcat

Post by michcat »

UAEebs86 wrote:The Jets just took an FCS punter instead of Scooby.

More fuel for the fire.
3goggles

Post by 3goggles »

I wish him the best as an undrafted free agent who isn't guaranteed shit!
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Maybe the Titans will take him with the last pick.

New Twitter handle: @TwoStarMrIrrelevantScoob
-JB
The Butcher

Post by The Butcher »

He fuels himself on stuff like this. Making everyone who passed on him pay. How could the story be any different for 2 Star Scooby.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

The Butcher wrote:He fuels himself on stuff like this. Making everyone who passed on him pay. How could the story be any different for 2 Star Scooby.
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

Not sure his draft status would have changed with another year.

He went u drafted because of his measurables. Those were not changing regardless of how many seasons he returned for. He may have been projected to go in the first 3 rounds last year, but some had him there this year, too.

Unfortunate... Rosenhaus' credibility is shot.
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

The Browns!
Catintheheat

Post by Catintheheat »

Scooby Wright just got pciked up by the Browns.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Good for Scooby. Go kill it.
-JB
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

MrBug708 wrote:The Browns!
He'd of been better off undrafted. :lol:
3goggles

Post by 3goggles »

Would've been better to go undrafted
Main Event

Post by Main Event »

SCOOBY!!

He'll make that roster for sure
TuiTouchdown

Post by TuiTouchdown »

Good for him! Kill it out there. Show them how wrong they were to look past you.
CatsbyAZ

Post by CatsbyAZ »

Congrats Scooby! Big Honor!
“The force behind the movement of time is a mourning that will not be comforted.” author Marilynne Robinson
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Good team to go to because they suck. I am sure he will make a statement
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
Main Event

Post by Main Event »

SCCats

Post by SCCats »

3goggles wrote:Would've been better to go undrafted
Hard to know alternative universes.

That said, I'm willing to say probably true.
3goggles

Post by 3goggles »

SCCats wrote:

I hope he does well because the Browns suck
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

3goggles wrote:
SCCats wrote:

Scooby seems to fall in line with their new team culture of putting 53 non-Johnny Manziels on the field.
3goggles

Post by 3goggles »

Chicat wrote:
3goggles wrote:
SCCats wrote:

Scooby seems to fall in line with their new team culture of putting 53 non-Johnny Manziels on the field.
Hey man I can sure get behind that!!!!
TheGreatCatsby

Post by TheGreatCatsby »

Now he'll just be known as 2 star 7th round Scooby. Just adds to the legend that will be.
tgrumpy2

Post by tgrumpy2 »

TuiTouchdown wrote:
MrBug708 wrote:
That is exactly right.