License To Thrill

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

TuiTouchdown

License To Thrill

Post by TuiTouchdown »

Another one of Rich Rod's "creative" videos.

https://youtu.be/JJa-nqFPld0

I know a lot of people here like these, but they just need to stop.
Low production, low quality, poor acting, so much cringe.
Last edited by TuiTouchdown on Fri Aug 14, 2015 8:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
scumdevils86

Re: Licensed To Thrill

Post by scumdevils86 »

Eh the older I get the less I care about hokey stuff
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

LOL at "low production, low quality, poor acting".

Uh, these are football coaches and players, making fun videos in their off time. Did you want them to hire Tarantino to direct and Samuel L. Jackson to play Coach Magee? :roll:
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
TuiTouchdown

Post by TuiTouchdown »

Chicat wrote:LOL at "low production, low quality, poor acting".

Uh, these are football coaches and players, making fun videos in their off time. Did you want them to hire Tarantino to direct and Samuel L. Jackson to play Coach Magee? :roll:
Ha, no, that's just the reason why they shouldn't do it. If they want to make these videos, fine. Just keep it an internal thing.

You don't make a pizza with ketchup and white bread and try to sell it as a delicious slice.
ANGCatFan

Post by ANGCatFan »

Pro tip - If you don't like them, don't watch them.

They are what they are; innovative ways to get Arizona football out to a wider audience.

The guy I worry about is someone who sees something he doesn't like and then sends it out for a wider audience.
TuiTouchdown

Post by TuiTouchdown »

ANGCatFan wrote:Pro tip - If you don't like them, don't watch them.

They are what they are; innovative ways to get Arizona football out to a wider audience.

The guy I worry about is someone who sees something he doesn't like and then sends it out for a wider audience.
Can't a guy have an opinion?
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

TuiTouchdown wrote:

Ha, no, that's just the reason why they shouldn't do it. If they want to make these videos, fine. Just keep it an internal thing.

You don't make a pizza with ketchup and white bread and try to sell it as a delicious slice.
There is not one person in the world who is trying to tell you that these videos are great art. Not one...
TuiTouchdown wrote:Can't a guy have an opinion?
Can't a guy have an opinion about your opinion?

Do you also go to people's houses, see their children's drawings on the fridge and criticize the subject matter and execution?

"Hey Junior, rainbows don't go red, blue, green, brown. And what is with this house? The windows are way too high up and the door is crooked! This is awful. Just stop. Throw your crayons in the garbage you two-bit hack."
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Carcassdragger

Post by Carcassdragger »

I thought the Star Wars one sucked, but I like most of em and I dig this one. Damn I'm looking forward to this season.
2020 BEARDOWN WILDCATS RAP Champion
2018 BEARDOWN WILDCATS SURVIVAL POOL Champion
2017 BEARDOWN WILDCATS RAP Champion
2013 GOAZCATS SURVIVAL POOL Champion
TuiTouchdown

Post by TuiTouchdown »

Chicat wrote:
TuiTouchdown wrote:

There is not one person in the world who is trying to tell you that these videos are great art. Not one...

Do you also go to people's houses, see their children's drawings on the fridge and criticize the subject matter and execution?

"Rainbows don't go red, blue, green, brown, Junior, and what is with this house? The windows are way too high up and the door is crooked! This is garbage. Just throw your crayons in the garbage you two-bit hack."
Of course not. But this isn't an art project created by a child. This is a communication piece to help with branding/recruiting Arizona football. And it fails at that.

The Arizona Athletics Department are adults and I don't think I need to pull any punches. They should be like any other multi-million dollar operation and leave the branding to the professionals.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

It fails at that in your own individual opinion. That doesn't mean that it fails.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

It's my understanding that the recruits like the videos.
TuiTouchdown

Post by TuiTouchdown »

ASUHATER! wrote:It fails at that in your own individual opinion. That doesn't mean that it fails.
Yeah of course. It's just my opinion, friends.

And just an FYI, I do like talking about this because it's my job. So when I see these videos get released, I feel like giving my opinion.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

I love it. Shows hot girls and the players and coaches having fun.
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Exactly what PHXCATS said, it shows it is fun to be at the UofA and that the athletes are an inclusive community. Thev cheerlead3rs and gymnastic team were part of this and I know the players all want to be in these things.

Wished you liked them Tui but hey, to each his own. Keep putting them out. Love the video guru's and RR productions
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
azpenguin

Post by azpenguin »

This thing is getting a lot of kudos in the CFB press circles.
BearDown89

Post by BearDown89 »

Rod. Rich Rod.

Pretty damn funny.

I get what you're saying Tui from your professional perspective. I'm a lawyer and nothing frustrates me more than amateurs trying to write their own contracts. 10 times out of 10 they're a fail. I respect your professional opinion on that note and I recall that you haven't liked them in the past.

I think the cringe factor is what is so good about these. They're willing to put themselves out there and make a fun joke at the risk of being goofs. No other school, that I'm aware of, does this. These videos are becoming a hallmark (a good one I think) of the program and they get a lot of run on national social media when they come out. You know . . . there's no such thing as bad publicity. I just don't see how it really hurts in the final analysis. Certainly it does far more good than bad in terms of giving the general public a chuckle and putting the program out there.

I actually thought the production values were pretty good for what it is. It's in high-def. A few million dollars worth of high end sports cars. Some good location shots. Quite a number of tuxedos and party dresses. And speaking of that, Rita and the girls look hot. Quite a bit of time and effort wen into this. Love the cross-over with gymnastics and the cheer squad - athletic department program harmony and mutual support. That's fun and good for everyone. It's creative and if recruits think that's cool so much the better.

Where do I get one of those Arizona "Super Bowl" rings RR was wearing?
threenumberones

Post by threenumberones »

Totally agree, this was well done. Some of the others not as much imo.

Tui, I get it. Sort of felt the same way at the beginning. Reminds me of my opinion towards the Oregon unis when they started doing obnoxious stuff. It's also working out well for them. The media engine works in mysterious ways. Any non-damaging pub is good pub for the most part, and getting noticed is probably still our biggest challenge. And probably will be until we can win at a high level with consistency.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

The best thing is that UA has cornered the market on this sort of thing and it definitely gets them press and visibility.

If a lot of schools did this and ours was cheesier than most, I'd complain. But it's unique, creative, and fun. I honestly don't know what there is not to love.
BBQ wildcat

Post by BBQ wildcat »

I loved it!! Only my opinion, of course. 8-) Coaches, players, Pom Pom team and gymnastics team all getting together for some good fun. I would think recruits would watch it and think that a school and a team with this much togetherness just has to be great.
Sage&Silver

Post by Sage&Silver »

Dinner jacket for noon cocktails? It's an embarrassment to the to university.

Just kidding. The video is great. My only complaint is there wasn't enough Rich Rod zip-lining.
BAREDOWN

Post by BAREDOWN »

When I first saw the thread I was actually hoping it was Beastie Boys related...

All in all its a thumbs up from me. Could definitely see how recruits would like this kind of stuff.
OsideCat

Post by OsideCat »

TuiTouchdown wrote:Another one of Rich Rod's "creative" videos.

Tui what's your niche in the production world?

This video was shot in less than 5 hours with 3 cameras in 5 locations by 4 people. It'll end up being seen by a quarter of million people in a weeks time. It'll generate countless articles and social media interaction. It's already been on the mobile devices of every recruiting target for the foreseeable future. Most importantly it helps build the Arizona Football brand. Two weekends in row Arizona Football will be the talk of college football.

To quote FootbalScoop.com "Yes, friends, in the land of college football teams using videos to create excitement about their program, there is Arizona, a significant gap, and then there is everyone else."

Tell me with those limitations, how do you propose to accomplish what these videos have accomplished. Since you're a professional and all.

BTFD
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Dear Recruits,

Want to be seen on SportsCenter driving around in sweet cars and hanging out with hot chicks?

Come to Arizona
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

OsideCat wrote:

This video was shot in less than 5 hours with 3 cameras in 5 locations by 4 people. It'll end up being seen by a quarter of million people in a weeks time. It'll generate countless articles and social media interaction. It's already been on the mobile devices of every recruiting target for the foreseeable future. Most importantly it helps build the Arizona Football brand. Two weekends in row Arizona Football will be the talk of college football.

To quote FootbalScoop.com "Yes, friends, in the land of college football teams using videos to create excitement about their program, there is Arizona, a significant gap, and then there is everyone else."

Tell me with those limitations, how do you propose to accomplish what these videos have accomplished. Since you're a professional and all.

BTFD

This is a great take. Well done
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
TuiTouchdown

Post by TuiTouchdown »

OsideCat wrote:

BTFD
Yeah man, I mean it looks like they spent a pretty penny on it. And we can talk intricacies of production on another thread if you'd like. Did you help make it? If so I didn't mean to offend. There are just things I would have done differently. I'm an Associate Creative Director at an ad agency in New York City.

But I'm glad you all like it and I'm also happy we're discussing it.

And hell, if they need any help making another video I'd be happy to lend a hand.
Sid

Post by Sid »

Poor acting?

Sh!t, my Kettle One dirty has a olive without a pimento....

The horror....

Are you f@cking kidding me Tui? The fact that you just trashed a freaking epic marketing piece with Scooby and many key players & you claim to be a UofA fan?

You're cringing?

Absolutely amazing.......do me a favor and don't kick your dog tonight. The little guy didn't do anything wrong.

BTFD
azthrillhouse

Post by azthrillhouse »

They just need better writing/editing......RR swinging down on the rope was awesome, but completely random and disconnected....makes you wonder if he fell on his ass at the end of the take & they didn't have time to do another. :-)

My take on these is that they are good fun and are good pub for the program, even when they fall flat. BD89 is right that it reflects well on RR and the staff that they don't take themselves too seriously.

But here's the thing - you can tell from the production values that these are ambitious videos made by people w/ some skills. It feels like these guys have it in them to create a viral video that is worth repeated views, but they don't quite hit that mark IMHO. Basically, we can do better, which is what I think Tui is saying.

And as someone pointed out in the other thread, why Byrne's Dr Evil didn't make the cut is a question enquiring minds want to know.
Chicat

Re: License To Thrill

Post by Chicat »

TuiTouchdown

Post by TuiTouchdown »

Sid wrote:

Poor acting?

Sh!t, my Kettle One dirty has a olive without a pimento....

The horror....

Are you f@cking kidding me Tui? The fact that you just trashed a freaking epic marketing piece with Scooby and many key players & you claim to be a UofA fan?

You're cringing?

Absolutely amazing.......do me a favor and don't kick your dog tonight. The little guy didn't do anything wrong.

BTFD
Ha yeah man. Oh well you have your opinion and I'll have mine.
TuiTouchdown

Post by TuiTouchdown »

azthrillhouse wrote:They just need better writing/editing......RR swinging down on the rope was awesome, but completely random and disconnected....makes you wonder if he fell on his ass at the end of the take & they didn't have time to do another. :-)

My take on these is that they are good fun and are good pub for the program, even when they fall flat. BD89 is right that it reflects well on RR and the staff that they don't take themselves too seriously.

But here's the thing - you can tell from the production values that these are ambitious videos made by people w/ some skills. It feels like these guys have it in them to create a viral video that is worth repeated views, but they don't quite hit that mark IMHO. Basically, we can do better, which is what I think Tui is saying.

And as someone pointed out in the other thread, why Byrne's Dr Evil didn't make the cut is a question enquiring minds want to know.
Yes. To reiterate I do like that they make videos, just think they can be better.
Sid

Post by Sid »

azthrillhouse wrote:They just need better writing/editing......RR swinging down on the rope was awesome, but completely random and disconnected....makes you wonder if he fell on his ass at the end of the take & they didn't have time to do another. :-)

Don't agree. You can put Scooby in any freaking situation, stand up paddle board (cringe) sporting a green neon speedo on a stand up paddle board (the horror).............. OK, I can't support either of those scenarios, but a video on a take from a Bond flick & promoting my beloved Cats I support 100%!

Just f@cking embrace it & get ready for the season!

BTFD
Sid

Post by Sid »

TuiTouchdown wrote:

Yes. To reiterate I do like that they make videos, just think they can be better.
No worries brother. My point I was trying to make was to embrace the fact that the University Is trying to promote the brand. What exactly were we promoting under the Stoops reign? Absolutely nada....I'm embracing what our marketing team is producing 100% and hope others will follow is all.
OsideCat

Post by OsideCat »

TuiTouchdown wrote:

You always say they are poorly produced and can be better. Given the restraints how? Zero budget, no time, no resources of hiring a production house. Need details.

You don't have to like them. In fact you couldn't be farther from the target audience. I want to hear your creative ideas. How would you write, cast, crew and shoot better?
BearDown89

Post by BearDown89 »

First thing the FCGF, who could give a rip about football, said was if she were a kid she'd want to come play football at Arizona. These videos are how I've sucked her in to the personalities and the program so that she enjoys it and wants to know how everybody is doing.

Also, think of the team building that goes on with these. The off the field bonding the guys experience having fun like this. Family.
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

I thought it was solid, and was much better than I expected based on Tui's commentary. For the most part, I think the stuff they have put out has been really good, considering what it is intended for.

There was one exception, which was very amateurish - bordering on embarrassing. I want to say it was the 'Speed' theme - either last year or the one prior? That was bad...

The digital guru stuff done during the season is cool... But then I get geeked up by the hype.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

I've yet to see anything embarrassing about these videos. I wish the basketball program would do them as well. Hell for how recruiting is going it may just help.
The Butcher

Post by The Butcher »

F'ing Love it.
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

Should have been a cover for License to Ill
azpenguin

Post by azpenguin »

TuiTouchdown wrote: I'm an Associate Creative Director at an ad agency in New York City.
The immediate panning of this makes sense now :) It must have been instinct.

(I'm an ad designer, been doing print for the last ten years.)
TuiTouchdown

Post by TuiTouchdown »

azpenguin wrote:
TuiTouchdown wrote: I'm an Associate Creative Director at an ad agency in New York City.
The immediate panning of this makes sense now :) It must have been instinct.

(I'm an ad designer, been doing print for the last ten years.)
Ha yeah. I'm also a ton of fun at Super Bowl watch parties...
ANGCatFan

Post by ANGCatFan »

Tui T, if you throw out your qualms about production values what does your professional experience say about the reach, response, and results of "Licence to Thrill."

Sometimes improved production, acting, and directing doesn't have the same mojo as the original.

TuiTouchdown

Post by TuiTouchdown »

OsideCat wrote: You always say they are poorly produced and can be better. Given the restraints how? Zero budget, no time, no resources of hiring a production house. Need details.

You don't have to like them. In fact you couldn't be farther from the target audience. I want to hear your creative ideas. How would you write, cast, crew and shoot better?
I don't think actually you want to hear my creative feedback/ideas to make this better, but I get the sense you were just trying to call me out so I'll respond.

Now, obviously a lot of work went into it and I don't know all of the creative decisions that went behind it, but I'll give you my reactions. If you do want to talk about this in length, feel free to message me. These are more on theme/tonality of the video.

- The License to Thrill video tries way too hard for my taste. The video opens with about 20 seconds of footage about cars. We're like that kid in high school who couldn't shut up about his dad's Porsche.

- The tone of the video could have been more tongue in cheek, like we weren't taking ourselves too seriously. The video looks like we were trying our asses off to look cool. Take a look at this promotional video for the MLS All Star Game a few years ago (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hxHIx7Y6Cio). Now, obviously this video isn't the pinnacle of success, but here the video is completely self-aware of what it is and what it's trying to do. Low budget as hell, which the director embraced and used it to his advantage.

- Lastly, you can do a whole lot more with less. RichRod + gymnastics girls doing the Whip/Nei Nei went out about a week ago? It has 302K views on Youtube. Do relevant, quick response videos like that all day and I'd be happy.
TuiTouchdown

Post by TuiTouchdown »

ANGCatFan wrote:Tui T, if you throw out your qualms about production values what does your professional experience say about the reach, response, and results of "Licence to Thrill."

Sometimes improved production, acting, and directing doesn't have the same mojo as the original.

Yeah I'd say we should wait on judging the reach/success of the video. From what I see it has 25K views on Youtube right now which is OK. Unfortunately, I don't think we'll see another day with stats like that. But we'll see. If say 50K is where we're at by next week, then I don't know if we'd call it a success.

I posted this in another response, but take the Gymnasts video they did with Rich Rod doing the Whip/Nae Nae (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iz8A9H1tyPQ). That's at 300K. And that's a success to me.

I think that CFB bloggers are passing around, which is great. Some awesome responses from them. And some people say that the recruits love it. I haven't seen much evidence for that (and frankly, I'd be surprised if they think this is cool), but I'd love it if that's the case.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Why would you be surprised that they think this is cool? Obviously the current players do.

By the way, in my job, you people on the creative side are the biggest pains in the ass . . . and oftentimes produce shit which is measurably worse than this video all while claiming some kind of artistic high ground.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Tui, you didn't happen to have lots of input in the new Fantastic 4 movie did you?
TuiTouchdown

Post by TuiTouchdown »

Chicat wrote:Why would you be surprised that they think this is cool? Obviously the current players do.

By the way, in my job, you people on the creative side are the biggest pains in the ass . . . and oftentimes produce shit which is measurably worse than this video all while claiming some kind of artistic high ground.
Eh it looks like an old white guy trying to be cool, which doesn't translate to actually being cool in the eyes of a teenager. I think the players loved riding around in those cars and making it.

Personally the best part about this was the genuine happiness of Scooby's tweet.

And what do you mean "you people"?! Just kidding. We're not all bad. I promise.
ChooChooCat wrote:Tui, you didn't happen to have lots of input in the new Fantastic 4 movie did you?
Ha nope! But I do have a TV campaign coming out in about a week. When it does, you guys can feel free to roast me over a fire.

Also, my agency does Fox Sports 1, and we are currently doing some ads for college football. Those will be out pretty soon as well.
azpenguin

Post by azpenguin »

Chicat wrote:By the way, in my job, you people on the creative side are the biggest pains in the ass . . .
See, if I can finally get something past the creative director, then this is what we get next. Fine, I'll make your damn logo bigger.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

TuiTouchdown wrote:
OsideCat wrote:

BTFD
Yeah man, I mean it looks like they spent a pretty penny on it. And we can talk intricacies of production on another thread if you'd like. Did you help make it? If so I didn't mean to offend. There are just things I would have done differently. I'm an Associate Creative Director at an ad agency in New York City.

But I'm glad you all like it and I'm also happy we're discussing it.

And hell, if they need any help making another video I'd be happy to lend a hand.
This isn't mad men
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

For once I agree with the group! These have no artistic value, they are just fun videos meant to show that our coaches and players are Humans unlike people like Jim Mora or Todd Graham or Sark or Chris Peterson. I love Rich Rod and he is the perfect coach for us and I think these videos help show recruits and America that if you come to Arizona, you are coming to a cool place to play football. How could you ever hate on these videos as an Arizona fan is beyond me because we get a ton of press, doesnt cost us much, and pretty sure it helps bring the team closer together filming it.

I did think this video wasn't as good as the Speed one from last year which is still my favorite but still great. The Whip Nae Nae one was also just classic.

I personally wish we saw this side from Sean Miller sometimes but doubtful, that guy is all business
2004 First Team All American Football Poster as voted on by GOAZCATS
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Read the thread then finally got around to watching the video.

Well done! I'm in agreement that was a pretty good video, got me pumped for the season, looks like the players had fun doing it. Ferris my better then that old Tucson one a few years back.