Game #5 @ Stanford Cardinal discussion thread

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

dmjcat

Re: Game #5 @ Stanford Cardinal discussion thread

Post by dmjcat »

azcat49 wrote:I think chief's I told you so train needs to slow down some. Easy to attack after a loss and now we are really banged up.

RR has 3 bowls, a 10 win season, a south crown and is the father of the read option. An offense that a lot of teams have used to great heights.

I will agree about the defensive scheme but RR is loyal to a fault and when we don't play well on offense, we get run out of the place.

As for recruiting, this is his best class and we have 4 stars starting that he brought in at multiple positions. You can't go deeper than 4 deep with The 85 schollie limit but hey, I am sure we would all love to recruit better.
I don't think its a case of Chief attacking as opposed to just being realistic.

Over the past 4 years I have read quite a few posts on this board that lamented Stoops poor recruiting and how RRod was developing greatly improved depth. Well, its year 4 and: 1) We don't have a backup QB who can throw the ball; 2) We don't have a center who can snap the ball; 3) We don't have a single upper division PAC12 level cornerback; 4) We don't have a single WR who can get separation against a good CB. And in case nobody has noticed our top 2 DL's (Reggie and Sani) are Stoops holdovers. Evidently Stoops didn't recruit that poorly or RRod hasn't recruited as well as some think.
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

Merkin wrote:Like to see him in the slot if not WR, but I imagine RR doesn't want him to get hurt since he is Anu's backup.

I'd like to see Dawkins more as a backup to Anu since Randall can't throw and is in his last year.

But RR sees the players a lot more than we do, so can only guess Dawkins isn't a practice player.
Completely agree. I understand that Randall has put his time in but we need to go with the QB that will give us the best chance to win. Dawkins is a more capable passer than Randall and we are NOT going to line up and ram the ball down Stanfords throat with any success. Hopefully Anu returns and renders this discussion a moot topic.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

He hasn't been here that much because the 10-2 didn't help his cause and then a week or so before an easily identifiable tough game as a home dog he jumps in to extol his knowledge of all that is wrong with AZ football.

Like my goodness, we havn't had a lifetime of recognizing letdowns and bad football. Hell we are all experts.

Pick away at the minutia I guess. Bottom line is we are a lot better record and program wise than we were under Stoops. We are a middle of the conference school with respect to facilities and as an educational institution. Our history is zip. We get the after thoughts of California and we are an 8 win program. Some years 6 wins, some years 10 but it beats the check out of Wackovic and Stoopid
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

azcat49 wrote:He hasn't been here that much because the 10-2 didn't help his cause and then a week or so before an easily identifiable tough game as a home dog he jumps in to extol his knowledge of all that is wrong with AZ football.

Like my goodness, we havn't had a lifetime of recognizing letdowns and bad football. Hell we are all experts.

Pick away at the minutia I guess. Bottom line is we are a lot better record and program wise than we were under Stoops. We are a middle of the conference school with respect to facilities and as an educational institution. Our history is zip. We get the after thoughts of California and we are an 8 win program. Some years 6 wins, some years 10 but it beats the check out of Wackovic and Stoopid
Ummmmmmmmmmmm, perhaps I am confusing you with someone else. Didn't you make the following statement just 48 hours ago??

"Better man then I am. Sending my remaining tickets back to GB and telling him I will not be spending my money on such a shitty product. Started in 68 and it ended tonight."
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

That was me. I have been consistent in my dislike for the 3-3-5. But read carefully, I sent my tickets back in protest but mentioned I would continue to buy tickets to support the dept.

I will watch on TV and root my ass off. I believe in RR but I can't spend 1000 for every home game weekend just to see a defense give up 6 straight scoring drives. RR is the best coach we have ever had and his 3 year run proves that.
Sid

Post by Sid »

azcat49 wrote:He hasn't been here that much because the 10-2 didn't help his cause and then a week or so before an easily identifiable tough game as a home dog he jumps in to extol his knowledge of all that is wrong with AZ football.

Here lies my problem. I'm going to focus on our defense as I think we all know were in great hands regarding the offense with Rich Rod. A few of us remember the Desert Swarm years, arguably the best defense in the nation with I might add, arguably the absolute worst facilities in all of the land.

A marketing strategy in regards to creating a powerful brand will always repel as mush as it attracts. The goal is to attract your ideal target market and repel the markets you don't want. We once attracted great defensive players, maybe the number of stars assigned to those kids didn't speak to this, but they were coached up and played their ass off! I've come to the conclusion that our brand & our defensive scheme is repelling the talent we need to attract to Tucson.

Teams were scared shitless to go against us, the stories I personally heard from our players were priceless. Hell, coach T played fast pitch baseball & took a 80 mile fastball to the face! Coach walks in with a huge shiner & the kids loved it! We had a history of being tough and feared. I hope to God we can get back to those days defensively speaking of course. A feared defense & a scary good Rich Rod offense gets me excited just thinking about it.....

Time to stop fucking repelling & let's play some real ball. :x
RazorsEdgeAZ

Post by RazorsEdgeAZ »

Know many of you being sarcastic, but the #FIRE RR stuff? COME ON! Put in perspective. What you comparing RR results to IN CASE anyone serious about the FIRE RR. You know, comparing to past AZ results?
1. RR took a 4 win team and players he didn’t recruit, converted them to playing a new scheme and won 8 games in first season.
2. RR took a QB who would not start at any or very few other Power 5 conferences and won 8 games.
3. RR won 7 conference games 1st time in 16 years
4. Easy as it may sound, 3 straight bowls games. AZ only been to 19
5. Won 10 games for 1st time in 16 years. Only 3rd time ever for AZ while in PAC.
6. Won more games his first 3 seasons IN LAST 39 YEARS, Since 70s
7. Beat 3 top 10 teams, 6 total ranked teams.
8. Won South
9. PAC COY
10. YEA, Did all that with Casteel and Ragle.

CAREFUL FOR WHERE YOUR MIND WANDERS TO. Grass not always greener other side…

Casteel a great DC… In the BE.

That scheme had Casteel defenses highly ranked statistically. RR / Casteel has yet to prove that scheme will work in Pac. This ain’t the BE.
If I recall, RR stated he wanted 3-3-5 because it was unique (gimmicky) and being at WV it was a way to land recruits to WV and use scheme to compete against other schools landing better recruits. Didn’t think he win many going head-to-head recruiting with National powerhouses.

Again, PAC ain’t the BE.

My take, RR offense scheme (Line, QB to this point, WR’s) doesn’t translate to NFL. Why RR won’t ever land blue chippers. At least enough Blue Chippers to be consistently on top. Blue Chips aware of this. Better chance to land “some” on offensive side of ball at AZ.
Back in the BE, RR schemes more unique and not as common now. More teams know how to defend and attack. Makes a difference. Plus the PAC teams have gone against multiple times. They learn.

RR / Casteel defense side of ball, same thing. Doesn’t translate to NFL. Maybe the Mike, Safety or even DB positions. Sometimes. Again, recruits, Blue Chippers aware of this. Not just Blue Chippers, but top 150 recruits in abundance. This side of the ball, RR / Casteel has more predominately than others recruit the “Tweeners”. To Fit in their scheme, still thinking we’re WV maybe and can’t compete with more traditional schools in recruiting. DL gets no glory in this system, hard to get big time recruits to a 3-3-5. It has to be the "athletes" (Tweeners) in this system that gets turnovers with their recruiting philosophy to make this defense click.

I believe RR recruits/offers plenty big time recruits, but they have to commit. In volume, they’re not. Scheme has some to do with that. Coaching Philosophy some. Tucson, some (Not LA, Oregon, FURD) Yea, there have been missed evaluations. Happens EVERYWHERE.
But don’t forget the last three season results. Consistently better than what us AZ fans used to. I'll repeat, BETTER than what we're used to, consistently.

But it might still be enough to get over the RB hump. Something not right, let’s see if the coaches adjust philosophically. In this system, it's about scoring more than your opponents, and getting enough turnovers to help them in scoring defense. Bend, don't break, get a turnover, try to stop them in the RZ.

And remember, not just a loyalty to Casteel, RR tried to run the 3-3-5 at Michigan without Casteel
gronk4heisman

Post by gronk4heisman »

We have lost one game, the same as this up and coming Stanford team (LOL, good one Chief) has lost....To a top 10 team in which we rushed for over 350 yards and lost out starting QB. It's time to walk away from the cliff, nothing is over yet. Take out UCLA's QB and they are not in the top 25, look what happens when you take out Oregon's QB. I get the game was out of hand before Anu went down, but let's keep things in perspective. We lost to a good team, yet were still able to move the ball with ease. Take out the turnovers, which has never really been a huge issue under Rich Rod, and that game is a hell of a lot closer. We were dealt a bad hand this season from the get go with the horrible schedule layout we were given. Then you add in key injuries to our only real center on the roster, our top defensive player, at least four WR's, and numerous others adding depth mainly at one position, LB. Do I think we will beat Stanford, no. Do I think this team is awful? Far from it. I still think we crack the top 25 again at some point this season, which I am more than happy with.

My view on things is right now, that 2014 recruiting class is killing us. Cobb, Ware and Smothers were all expected to be a big part of this defense and that has not been the case. Ware and Smothers can't even play when we are playing 4th stringers. Recruiting to AZ will never be easy, and it has nothing to do with the 3-3-5 scheme, it has a lot more to do with tradition and location. I love Tucson, I came out here from the east coast to go to school 15 years ago and have not left since. However Arizona was not my first or even my second choice of school, and if I were playing football it would not even be in my top 10. Practices outside in 110 degrees everyday is not how I would want to spend my summers. Fact is we are recruiting southern Cal kids who if they have a choice will go to UCLA and USC way before choosing to come to Arizona. There is a reason the only teams in the Pac that have consistently become good recently have a large advantage over the other schools. Stanford with it's top notch education, and Oregon with their sugar daddy Phil Knight. We do not have that.

Bottom line is the season is not over, even if we lose to Stanford. Did anyone really think we were going to be in the Playoff? In my eyes, this is just another season to help build a culture which I believe in and get better each day. This has been the longest run of success I have witnessed since I came to Tucson and I will continue to enjoy it. And the silver lining, we will have a very experience team next year with a hungry Scooby and hopefully a bye week!
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Love RichRod, won't see me on that bandwagon, but wanted to add this one is quite overrated.

4. Easy as it may sound, 3 straight bowls games. AZ only been to 19

In today's world, over 50% of Div I teams are bowl eligible. Recall Mike Stoops took Arizona to 3 straight bowl games too.

When I was a kid growing up in MI, there was only one bowl, The Rose Bowl, that a Big 10 school could go to.

Michigan Bowl Results (20-23)
Season Bowl Opponent Score W/L
1901 Rose Stanford 49-0 W
1947 Rose Southern California 49-0 W
1950 Rose California 14-6 W
1964 Rose Oregon State 34-7 W
1969 Rose Southern California 3-10 L
1971 Rose Stanford 12-13 L
1975 Orange Oklahoma 6-14 L
1976 Rose Southern California 6-14 L
1977 Rose Washington 20-27 L
1978 Rose Southern California 10-17 L

Not sure when it changed, maybe in 1975.

Larry Smith had 6 straight seasons where he would have been bowl eligible at the UA before he bailed for USC. Assuming of course UA was bowl eligible.

Pops McKale had 10 straight winning seasons for UA football. 1 bowl game appearance in that streak.
azpenguin

Post by azpenguin »

gronk4heisman wrote:Take out UCLA's QB and they are not in the top 25, look what happens when you take out Oregon's QB.
That's the one thing I'll pick on. Rosen is going to be a hell of a QB, but remember he's playing behind one of the best pass protection lines I've seen. Jerry Neuheisel could keep that team in the Top 25, especially with Perkins in the backfield.
gronk4heisman

Post by gronk4heisman »

azpenguin wrote:
gronk4heisman wrote:Take out UCLA's QB and they are not in the top 25, look what happens when you take out Oregon's QB.
That's the one thing I'll pick on. Rosen is going to be a hell of a QB, but remember he's playing behind one of the best pass protection lines I've seen. Jerry Neuheisel could keep that team in the Top 25, especially with Perkins in the backfield.

You realize Jerry Neuheisel is absolutely awful right? We will agree to disagree here.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

While the margin of defeat was higher, you have to factor in Anu going out as well.

Oregon's loss to us and Ohio State's Virginia Tech loss were worse than this loss to a very solid UCLA team without lots of guys and the starting qb going out.

If you want to jump off this team go for it but doing so tells me a few things
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

gronk4heisman wrote:
azpenguin wrote:

You realize Jerry Neuheisel is absolutely awful right? We will agree to disagree here.
Jerry Neuheisel won at Texas, which would be a toss-up for Anu even when completely healthy.

Rosen is not so much a great QB as much as Mora coaches to his strengths and doesn't make him take chances. He certainly didn't need to Saturday.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Newportcat wrote:
gumby wrote:Scooby is out. We may never see the ball.
So negative Gumby, man

It is going to be painful watching Stanford rush at will against us.
Gumby Optimist!
Right where I want to be.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

catgrad97 wrote:
gronk4heisman wrote:
azpenguin wrote:

Jerry Neuheisel won at Texas, which would be a toss-up for Anu even when completely healthy.

Rosen is not so much a great QB as much as Mora coaches to his strengths and doesn't make him take chances. He certainly didn't need to Saturday.
So the team that beat Oregon at Oregon and ASU and Washington with multiple nflers and and destroyed Utah at Utah would be a toss up vs Texas?
gronk4heisman

Post by gronk4heisman »

catgrad97 wrote:
gronk4heisman wrote:
azpenguin wrote:

You mean the 3 point (which coincidentally they scored that many the one drive Hundley was in on) win over the same Texas that only won 2 home games last year? One against North Texas. Also, the game I believe was in Dallas, but close enough to call it a home game I guess. Neuheisel has a negative QBR this season, I didn't even know that was possible.
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

Yes, that is what I mean, and Neuheisel still won the game.

I'm not talking about our team, I'm talking about Anu, who is definitely in Willie Tuitama waters at this point.

We should all know after Saturday that Rosen has a lot more support around him to develop than our QBs do. More stable system, better blocking, more reliable skill players.

When was the last time we had a starter behind center who made it out of Tucson without suffering a concussion?
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

catgrad97 wrote:Yes, that is what I mean, and Neuheisel still won the game.

I'm not talking about our team, I'm talking about Anu, who is definitely in Willie Tuitama waters at this point.

We should all know after Saturday that Rosen has a lot more support around him to develop than our QBs do. More stable system, better blocking, more reliable skill players.

When was the last time we had a starter behind center who made it out of Tucson without suffering a concussion?
You are drunk and or have never seen a football game before Saturday if you think Rosen is just a product of the system and that Anu is at the same level as Neuheisel.
gronk4heisman

Post by gronk4heisman »

catgrad97 wrote:
You have to go all the way back to 2013, to BJ Denker to find the last starting QB who didn't get a concussion.
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

PHXCATS wrote:
catgrad97 wrote:Yes, that is what I mean, and Neuheisel still won the game.

You are drunk and or have never seen a football game before Saturday if you think Rosen is just a product of the system and that Anu is at the same level as Neuheisel.
Don't be ridiculous, I never said Anu was at the same level as Neuheisel. Going forward, though, who the hell knows what level he's going to perform at, and when?

Rosen hasn't had to worry much about protection or finding open receivers so far this season. He's got Payton and Perkins to take most of the pressure off--not to mention routes that actually involve the TE.

Plus, he's been quite well-protected. He got knocked down and pressured on one series all game Saturday. By that time, it was the second half and he and his teammates were quite comfortable.

He's better than Ben Olson or Richard Brehaut, but he's not the key that makes the Bruins offense go by any stretch.

And as for Denker, I believe he got knocked out of a win at Utah and Scroggins cleaned up. Not sure if that was classified a concussion or not.

Before that, we've had Scott, Foles, Willie T. and a whole mess of Mackosuck with blows to the head quarterbacking the Cats. But apparently this kind of track record with our offensive line doesn't mean anything to anyone else, so feel free to just think it's nothing.
azpenguin

Post by azpenguin »

Denker never took a concussion. Last year Solomon left in the second half due to the foot injury that had been nagging him and Scroggins went from there. Denker played the entire 2013 Utah game at home.
gronk4heisman

Post by gronk4heisman »

catgrad97 wrote:.

Before that, we've had Scott, Foles, Willie T. and a whole mess of Mackosuck with blows to the head quarterbacking the Cats. But apparently this kind of track record with our offensive line doesn't mean anything to anyone else, so feel free to just think it's nothing.
Our Oline is far from the the best, but it's hard to complain about a unit that allowed us to run for 353 yards against a solid D, and you can't blame Anu's concussion on the Oline when he got hurt running for a first down and making an awkward slide which led to him getting a knee to the head. Our Dline has me much more concerned.
azpenguin

Post by azpenguin »

Also catgrad97, I don't seem to recall Foles getting a concussion at Arizona. Can you show us when that happened? He had a couple of other injuries (like the Wazzu defender rolling over his knee and it looked intentional) and another injury against ASU in the 2011 win. But I don't remember him getting a concussion.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Foles' concussion issues started in the NFL. Only college injury I remember for him was the sprained knee.
cordera89

Post by cordera89 »

dmjcat wrote:
azcat49 wrote:I think chief's I told you so train needs to slow down some. Easy to attack after a loss and now we are really banged up.

RR has 3 bowls, a 10 win season, a south crown and is the father of the read option. An offense that a lot of teams have used to great heights.

I will agree about the defensive scheme but RR is loyal to a fault and when we don't play well on offense, we get run out of the place.

As for recruiting, this is his best class and we have 4 stars starting that he brought in at multiple positions. You can't go deeper than 4 deep with The 85 schollie limit but hey, I am sure we would all love to recruit better.
I don't think its a case of Chief attacking as opposed to just being realistic.

Over the past 4 years I have read quite a few posts on this board that lamented Stoops poor recruiting and how RRod was developing greatly improved depth. Well, its year 4 and: 1) We don't have a backup QB who can throw the ball; 2) We don't have a center who can snap the ball; 3) We don't have a single upper division PAC12 level cornerback; 4) We don't have a single WR who can get separation against a good CB. And in case nobody has noticed our top 2 DL's (Reggie and Sani) are Stoops holdovers. Evidently Stoops didn't recruit that poorly or RRod hasn't recruited as well as some think.

For crying out loud man is this how low we are going to go. Have you check the roster in just see the amount of depth in skill position were in. You act like for some god damn reason RR should be taken the leap of faith of turning Arizona into powerhouse like status right. You can sit and criticize the four main issue of why we are not playing at high level. Tell me this It take what 4 year to build a program up, some made take less 2 or 3 depending at the school your coaching. Now how are we going to recruit top level player out of west coast to Arizona, you did forget were completed against the like of USC and UCLA, And the rest of the other powerhouse programs out their. RR and Co know how too recruit and identify talent and develop them. One game doesn't tell us how bad our team is not every team is going to win the game they should of won. Be patient man. It will pay off soon.
UALoco

Post by UALoco »

FYI yall..if we got a coach that could consistently recruit 4 and 5* recruits on both sides, build a top 10 offense and defense, win the P12, & compete for national championships....USC would hire them away from us. Who are you gonna get to do better than the current admin? Calm down, it was one loss and we'll probably lose the next one. Then we'll rattle off 4 straight wins and then more 2 losses before beating ASU. We'll be 8-4 and go to a bowl. Not what we hoped but better than the worst. I agree that we might want to re-think our approach to D to attract higher caliber talent and occasionally beat the powerhouses. I'll be in Palo Alto this weekend cheering our boys and hope we compete better. :|
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

Neu threw two picks vs Nevada. He's not good.
cordera89

Post by cordera89 »

UALoco wrote:FYI yall..if we got a coach that could consistently recruit 4 and 5* recruits on both sides, build a top 10 offense and defense, win the P12, & compete for national championships....USC would hire them away from us. Who are you gonna get to do better than the current admin? Calm down, it was one loss and we'll probably lose the next one. Then we'll rattle off 4 straight wins and then more 2 losses before beating ASU. We'll be 8-4 and go to a bowl. Not what we hoped but better than the worst. I agree that we might want to re-think our approach to D to attract higher caliber talent and occasionally beat the powerhouses. I'll be in Palo Alto this weekend cheering our boys and hope we compete better. :|
You must be joking with this comment.
UALoco

Post by UALoco »

cordera89 wrote:
UALoco wrote:FYI yall..if we got a coach that could consistently recruit 4 and 5* recruits on both sides, build a top 10 offense and defense, win the P12, & compete for national championships....USC would hire them away from us. Who are you gonna get to do better than the current admin? Calm down, it was one loss and we'll probably lose the next one. Then we'll rattle off 4 straight wins and then more 2 losses before beating ASU. We'll be 8-4 and go to a bowl. Not what we hoped but better than the worst. I agree that we might want to re-think our approach to D to attract higher caliber talent and occasionally beat the powerhouses. I'll be in Palo Alto this weekend cheering our boys and hope we compete better. :|
You must be joking with this comment.
Where is the joke?
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

I wonder if should Randall be our guy this week if he throws it any better given a full week of reps with the 1's and given the idea that UCLA had a more effective secondary then he will see from Furd.

Not sure he has to be Anu but if he can just keep them honest we could surprise although I would load the box and just try and let Randall beat me if I was Furd
Last edited by azcat49 on Tue Sep 29, 2015 10:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
azpenguin

Post by azpenguin »

Finley posed this scenario on the radio, freely admitting he was just basing this on his own thoughts - would the coaches put Dawkins and Randall on the field at the same time? Obviously injury is a concern (he said with the luck UA's been having, they'd knock each other over on a handoff and then they'd both be injured and hello Werlinger) but he seems to think that Dawkins may have more upside due to being able to throw the ball better. While he may be a better thrower, you have to find ways to get Randall on the field.

This is all speculation until Anu is either ruled out or he's not the one behind center on Saturday, of course. For all we know Solomon is fine and will play Saturday. We'll see.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Anu was in street clothes today for practice so he seems very doubtful
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

azpenguin wrote:Finley posed this scenario on the radio, freely admitting he was just basing this on his own thoughts - would the coaches put Dawkins and Randall on the field at the same time? Obviously injury is a concern (he said with the luck UA's been having, they'd knock each other over on a handoff and then they'd both be injured and hello Werlinger) but he seems to think that Dawkins may have more upside due to being able to throw the ball better. While he may be a better thrower, you have to find ways to get Randall on the field.

This is all speculation until Anu is either ruled out or he's not the one behind center on Saturday, of course. For all we know Solomon is fine and will play Saturday. We'll see.

I know it's speculation but it's a little ridiculous. Dawkins doesn't know enough of the offense so his plays are more vanilla than the others. You can't mortgage the farm here and get another QB hurt.
illcat

Post by illcat »

Don't think the Cats will bounce right back after the beat down by FUCLA. Plus the injuries have about sewn it up.
I mean I am not complaining but it must suck for good ugly girls.
--Officer Craig

You'll forgive DW99, he's used to the methed-out slores in Tempe ...
--Reydituto
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Line is up to 17.5.

Not going to be pretty. Riggleman is going to see a lot of action.

Hopefully Wilson can stay healthy.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Merkin wrote:Line is up to 17.5.

Pound the Cats to cover and the under. Stanford in their three games vs teams that are not the dumpster that is UCF this year have given up 3.1 yards per carry to Oregon State whose line and rbs are worse than UA. Same for NW who got 4.2 a carry. USC has a better line but got 5.5 a pop. Now I know you need to throw to be able to run effectively but I think that Randle can do enough to keep the d honest. Maybe some zone read passing a la Ole Miss and BJ Denker.

On D for the cats same plan. Shut down the run game and make Hogan and the WRs beat you. I like the secondary more vs Standford than UCLA.

Don't think the Cats win but it will be within 10
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

I predicted 51-27 Trees. Who knows though. I find it hard to think that the Cats would keep it close but stranger things have happened.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

chiefzona wrote:I predicted 51-27 Trees. Who knows though. I find it hard to think that the Cats would keep it close but stranger things have happened.
Why? I just gave you reasons why it would be. Funny you weren't hear after Oregon or Asu last yr
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

PHXCATS wrote:
chiefzona wrote:I predicted 51-27 Trees. Who knows though. I find it hard to think that the Cats would keep it close but stranger things have happened.
Why? I just gave you reasons why it would be. Funny you weren't hear after Oregon or Asu last yr

They're predictions. That's all. I have a right to predict whatever I like and I haven't been too far off all season. Every week on Wed before the game I give my prediction on Twitter. So, it's there for all to see. I wasn't on this board for most of last year because I was on Scout premium.
azpenguin

Post by azpenguin »

44-38 Arizona.
dirtbags

Post by dirtbags »

azpenguin wrote:44-38 Arizona.
i like your thinking, penguin.

hope anu is resting up and getting well. def don't want to mess with concussions and potential CTE repercussions, especially with a young guy like solomon and his propensity to tough things out and stay in the game. i'm also in agreement with the post earlier about putting in dawk, perhaps in tandem with randall at RB. 'furd will have jerrard thoroughly scouted by gametime and be ready to stop him on the ground.

also not expecting "gimmicky schemes" to go away anytime soon, as that's how teams like Arizona compete with bigger and more athletic opponents.

it's too bad we haven't had a lighting-filled monsoon swoop down and rain-out a home game, in lieu of a bye week to recuperate. :D
azpenguin

Post by azpenguin »

I think that Stanford will have Randall scouted thoroughly but I also expect that RR knows this and will break out some plays he's been keeping in his pocket. He said that in a situation like this, you don't introduce new plays, but he's probably got some they've practiced for a while and can call if the situation permits. The wheel route throwback to Wilson against Oregon last year was a play he'd set the Ducks up for all year. I would expect to see some things we haven't seen yet and two and three back sets. Shovel passes? I wouldn't be surprised. If the guy drops it, hey, incomplete pass, not a fumble. I expect to see a heavy dose of Cobb as well.

Arizona's chances are better with a healthy Solomon. RichRod knows how to adapt to his personnel at QB, though, and I'm not ready to bury AZ like a lot of other people.
catinfl

Post by catinfl »

Merkin wrote:Line is up to 17.5.

How many times did we punt against UCLA with Randall in? Once? We're gonna move the ball on them and we moved the ball just fine against UCLA the inability to score touchdowns when we got in the red-zone and turning the ball over was the problem. Randall will practice throwing short routes to keep the D somewhat honest all week. Everyone knew Pat White and Steve Slaton were gonna run, but they still couldn't stop it. Our OL has done a great job at run blocking and Stanford's D is banged up and not nearly as good as their defenses in the past. Forgive me for bringing optimism, but I think we're gonna move the ball just fine against them the key will be scoring touchdowns in the red-zone and not kicking FG's with Skowron who is very inconsistent. Hogan can be a superstar or he can pull a Hogan and really blow for a game. Stanford's offense is very efficient and will score against us the key will be getting stops here and there for our offense. Im sure the team will be pissed about their showing last week and I don't know if that will help, but I don't think we'll get embarrassed again.
catinfl

Post by catinfl »

Really hoping we can get Griffey and Johnson Back.
azpenguin

Post by azpenguin »

I think RR said last week they were a couple of weeks away. I could be wrong though. Waiting to see the injury report.
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

catinfl wrote:Really hoping we can get Griffey and Johnson Back.

I don't think it matters. Randall can't get them the ball efficiently anyway. Just run the the Navy Option and let the dogs run wild. Haha
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Merkin

Post by Merkin »

chiefzona wrote:
catinfl wrote:Really hoping we can get Griffey and Johnson Back.

I don't think it matters. Randall can't get them the ball efficiently anyway. Just run the the Navy Option and let the dogs run wild. Haha
Really something to say for that. Cal Poly had some success against ASU with the triple option.

I can see the CP stadium from my office, and the football office is just 2 buildings over. I walk by CP football players all the time, and they are all very small. I bet they are all a head smaller than ASU.
dirtbags

Post by dirtbags »

catinfl wrote:How many times did we punt against UCLA with Randall in? Once? We're gonna move the ball on them and we moved the ball just fine against UCLA the inability to score touchdowns when we got in the red-zone and turning the ball over was the problem. Randall will practice throwing short routes to keep the D somewhat honest all week. Everyone knew Pat White and Steve Slaton were gonna run, but they still couldn't stop it. Our OL has done a great job at run blocking and Stanford's D is banged up and not nearly as good as their defenses in the past. Forgive me for bringing optimism, but I think we're gonna move the ball just fine against them the key will be scoring touchdowns in the red-zone and not kicking FG's with Skowron who is very inconsistent. Hogan can be a superstar or he can pull a Hogan and really blow for a game. Stanford's offense is very efficient and will score against us the key will be getting stops here and there for our offense. Im sure the team will be pissed about their showing last week and I don't know if that will help, but I don't think we'll get embarrassed again.
yes, i've been reading that bundage has been pretty hard on himself this week for the bad snaps. hope he gets it together for 'furd before it becomes psychological.

also hoping that our guys can create some action on the receiving end of kicks. i mean, credit to ucla's kickers and st coverage for holding us to zero punt & kickoff returns, but we also hadn't done much to improve our starting field position against the likes of nau, utsa, etc. either. i'm obviously grasping at any hope to improve our offensive output.
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

That was for UCLA.