Re: Game #5 @ Stanford Cardinal discussion thread

Post by CalStateTempe »

This game...

Merkin

Post by Merkin »

4:30 or 7:30pm PT
FOX or Pac-12N

Good thing Stanford attendance sucks. Lots of UA grads in the bay area, or at least they used to be when I lived up there.

I would think the line would be more around 14 with the UA's inability to stop the run.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Merkin wrote:4:30 or 7:30pm PT
FOX or Pac-12N

Good thing Stanford attendance sucks. Lots of UA grads in the bay area, or at least they used to be when I lived up there.

I would think the line would be more around 14 with the UA's inability to stop the run.
I won't be able to go due to a prior obligation. However, for the first time since the Mackovic days, I'm not sad about missing the game.

I'll watch, but I'm not going to waste a whole day driving, parking, tailgating, traffic, and driving back home.
azpenguin

Post by azpenguin »

If Solomon plays (and there's no high snaps) then I feel pretty good about this game, actually.
3goggles

Post by 3goggles »

CalStateTempe wrote:
FOX or Pac-12N

I won't be able to go due to a prior obligation. However, for the first time since the Mackovic days, I'm not sad about missing the game.

I'll watch, but I'm not going to waste a whole day driving, parking, tailgating, traffic, and driving back home.
You're an idiot my friend! Sure we got blast last night and Alabama got blasted this year too so what's your point! Bringing up mackovic is just flat out STUPID! I'm with everybody last night sucked but guess what we lost to them last year and still won the south it's just one game. Learn from it and prepare for Stanford!
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

9.5 point spread at Stanford

I never bet against Arizona...but I might want to start now

How on earth can we stop their offense with our current defense
2004 First Team All American Football Poster as voted on by GOAZCATS
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Very surprised they have a line you can bet on with the status of Anu being questionable at best
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
catinfl

Post by catinfl »

Stanford's defense is not good. Randall and Wilson should be able to run very well. Should be a good game. Depends on which Hogan shows up
Gladiator Cat

Post by Gladiator Cat »

There are two things that I took away from that embarrassing clusterf##k against UCLA and I don't even need to have a belly full of beer to figure it out.

1. Arizona ain't backing in to any PAC12 South Championships this year.

2. We ain't beating a Stanford team that is bigger and stronger than UCLA and just as well coached at their house.

As a matter of fact as I'm looking down a gauntlet of teams we still have to play;

Stanford
USC
Wash
Utah

And some additional weak sisters yet to come;

ASSU
Oregon St
Wash St
Col

Looking through that collection of teams I see about four remaining wins to sooth the natives rumblings and pad the schedule win column.

I think RR and Casteel's gimmicky schemes have lost some of their nuanced effectiveness as teams become more and more familiar.

Good old fashion legacy teams can and do for the most part effectively neutralize any advantage that we put on the field with these gimmicks.

Thats why TG and ASSU are never going to win big either. They rely on and build around schemes that are gimmicks and good teams with high quality recruits can just line up man for man and force their will.

Teams like the UofA are only going as far as the recruiting trail success takes us and as I look down our future names I see a few high quality recruits with a whole bunch of question marks mixed in.

Bottom line, we ain't in year one anymore, and everyone else in the conference is getting better.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

3goggles wrote:
CalStateTempe wrote:
FOX or Pac-12N

You're an idiot my friend! Sure we got blast last night and Alabama got blasted this year too so what's your point! Bringing up mackovic is just flat out STUPID! I'm with everybody last night sucked but guess what we lost to them last year and still won the south it's just one game. Learn from it and prepare for Stanford!

Maybe if we won yesterday, but now I'd rather just stay in Sac, dedicate a solid 3-4 for the game and cheer my ass off at home.

Sorry, last three Furd games in PA that I have been at have all been losses and I'm not going to do that again to myself, not this time.

I seriously hope I'm kicking myself Sunday morning for this decision, but nothing in last nights game gives me the confidence that I will.
cats101

Post by cats101 »

SU by 3 TDs. This has the potential to be ugly.
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

3goggles wrote:
CalStateTempe wrote:
FOX or Pac-12N

Time for a new Rx on those tri-focal goggles. Bama got 'blasted' this season? Sure.

Newsflash: UCLA is not as grand as many here are convincing themselves, in an attempt to feel better about last night's embarrassment. Based on what we have seen so far, they are the 3rd best team in the south.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Yea we lose by 3 tds easily.
Gladiator Cat

Post by Gladiator Cat »

Even if we play mistake free football, which is unlikely, Stanford should be able to march up and down the field on us all day long.

It will be another long day as the bloom officially comes off the rose.
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

Gladiator Cat wrote:There are two things that I took away from that embarrassing clusterf##k against UCLA and I don't even need to have a belly full of beer to figure it out.

2. We ain't beating a Stanford team that is bigger and stronger than UCLA and just as well coached at their house.

As a matter of fact as I'm looking down a gauntlet of teams we still have to play;

Stanford
USC
Wash
Utah

ASSU
Oregon St
Wash St
Col

Looking through that collection of teams I see about four remaining wins to sooth the natives rumblings and pad the schedule win column.

I think RR and Casteel's gimmicky schemes have lost some of their nuanced effectiveness as teams become more and more familiar.

Good old fashion legacy teams can and do for the most part effectively neutralize any advantage that we put on the field with these gimmicks.

Thats why TG and ASSU are never going to win big either. They rely on and build around schemes that are gimmicks and good teams with high quality recruits can just line up man for man and force their will.

Teams like the UofA are only going as far as the recruiting trail success takes us and as I look down our future names I see a few high quality recruits with a whole bunch of question marks mixed in.

Bottom line, we ain't in year one anymore, and everyone else in the conference is getting better.
Great points and in the end talent always wins out against weird schemes etc. that is in my opinion why Oregon has never won the big game and why teams like USC did so well for so long. They just recruit the best and dictate the game. Sure they can play bad like Ohio state did against northern Illinois but overall they win because the win the game in the trenches and don't do weird schemes.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

VI actually has the line at -17.5.
Gladiator Cat

Post by Gladiator Cat »

Newportcat wrote:
Gladiator Cat wrote:There are two things that I took away from that embarrassing clusterf##k against UCLA and I don't even need to have a belly full of beer to figure it out.

Stanford
USC
Wash
Utah

ASSU
Oregon St
Wash St
Col

Great points and in the end talent always wins out against weird schemes etc. that is in my opinion why Oregon has never won the big game and why teams like USC did so well for so long. They just recruit the best and dictate the game. Sure they can play bad like Ohio state did against northern Illinois but overall they win because the win the game in the trenches and don't do weird schemes.
That's it in a nutshell Newport. Teams like us will never be able to recruit the big studs consistently and after awhile the gimmicky schemes and misdirection lose their effectiveness.

Stanford is going to line up and run the football down our throats, and there's not a freaking gimmick in our arsenal that going to change that reality.
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

Harvey Specter wrote:
3goggles wrote:
CalStateTempe wrote:
FOX or Pac-12N

If you want to argue Utah, fine. You can't possibly argue USC
Time for a new Rx on those tri-focal goggles. Bama got 'blasted' this season? Sure.

Newsflash: UCLA is not as grand as many here are convincing themselves, in an attempt to feel better about last night's embarrassment. Based on what we have seen so far, they are the 3rd best team in the south.
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

MrBug708 wrote:
Harvey Specter wrote:
3goggles wrote:
CalStateTempe wrote:
FOX or Pac-12N

If you want to argue Utah, fine. You can't possibly argue USC
I can, and I will - but it is admittedly debatable. I think USC was more dominating in their win over ASU than UCLA was in Tucson (and no one wants to hear this, but I think UA & ASU will be prett evenly matched). Truthfully, I think 'SC & UCLA are pretty evenly matched as well; I do not think UCLA is better than 'furd.

UCLA's wins over UVa & BYU at home looked good to me when they happened; they don't anymore.

The only thing that is NOT debatable is that, up to this point in the season, Utah has performed like the class of the South. They have 2 outstanding wins that cast a large shadow over UCLA's.

That is as of today, and things always change during the course of the season. Plenty of UA fans are slurping UCLA after yesterday's loss, more (I think) to make themselves feel better. Sorry - I am not one of them.

And FWIW, I have always liked UCLA Football. It is only your BB team that I hate.
Fishclamps

Post by Fishclamps »

I get the feeling outside of the real bottom feeders of the pac-12, this season is shaping up to be like last years, where no one knows jack shit till the end of the season. The only difference being that it would seem to be happening in the north too. There's either a lot of parity in this conference, or we're all fucking terrible. I know I'll be entertained.
azpenguin

Post by azpenguin »

I'd still lean towards UCLA being better than USC but it's early and we don't really know yet. USC did dominate ASU on Saturday, to be sure. However, ASU has been just completely moribund this year. Blown out by A&M. Was tied 21-21 with a FCS team mid fourth quarter before winning 35-21. Struggled with New Mexico and benefited from a bad call. Arizona played poorly but their problems are correctable and they've been far better than ASU all year.

Utah is indeed looking like the class of the south right now. Again, it's early, so we don't know much yet. But they've shown as much as anyone in the country.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

USC is probably more talented overall than UCLA, but UCLA has much better coaching.
It will be interesting to see how it plays out.
UCLA bitten much harder by the injury big as well.

Still not a believer in Utah, but maybe they'll prove me wrong.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
whatisee

Post by whatisee »

There's nothing in Stanford's play that leads me to believe we can't beat them. Stop McCaffery and you hog tie Stanford. Hopefully Anu is back, and Cayman isn't scared this week. Winnable game on the road. This isn't your normal Stanford D boys.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

7:30 PM on the Pac-12 Network.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

If Anu plays I like our chances. I also like that the coaches can have a week to prep in case he can't go and can put Randle in a spot with the office where he can succeed.

Not happy about the night on Saturday but one bad games does not negate everything positive the team and players and coaches have done. Hate the attitude that some people have but with such a fair weather city and fan base it should be expected.
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
cpt

Post by cpt »

UAEebs86 wrote:USC is probably more talented overall than UCLA, but UCLA has much better coaching.

What does Utah have to do to make you a believer? Seems to me they should have earned some respect by now.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

cpt wrote:
UAEebs86 wrote:USC is probably more talented overall than UCLA, but UCLA has much better coaching.

What does Utah have to do to make you a believer? Seems to me they should have earned some respect by now.
They have from me. Their Michigan win is looking better each week.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

cpt wrote:

Travis Wilson, for one. Just don't think he's good enough to win the South.

Like I said, they may prove me wrong, but my money would be on SC or the Bruins.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
azpenguin

Post by azpenguin »

UAEebs86 wrote:
cpt wrote:

Travis Wilson, for one. Just don't think he's good enough to win the South.
That's actually a fair critique. I don't know that Wilson can carry the offense all season and keep teams from keying on Booker. Wilson has been uneven his whole career and has a tendency to throw the ball up for grabs.

That said, I still stand my my statement that they've shown as much or more than anyone in the nation to this point. We'll see going ahead but they're off to an impressive start.
uacat540

Post by uacat540 »

I understand people are buying Utah right now but is it more about them beating Oregon or them being good? Yes they beat michigan, Harbaughs first game as a coach, with Jake Ruddock as the QB. Wilson went 24/33 for 210 yards with an INT. Michigan has since gotten far better, I bet it doesnt end that same way if they play next week versus week 1. I think people tend to have an overreaction to the first quarter of the season. Until you are in the meat of the conference schedule, no one knows whos good and who isnt. Hogan from Northwestern shows up...Arizona Wins. Hogan from USC shows up, ouch town,population Arizona. Last time Arizona played Stanford in 2012, Ka'deem ran over over 100 and i think 3 TD's. Arizona can run again this year, and thats not some gimmick. Before everyone claims Stanford by 21, lets all take a step back from the beating UCLA laid on the team. I dont think that was a true picture of an Arizona Football team, more an aberation (even though Arizona has one of those a year).
AZarchery

Post by AZarchery »

Is there any reason we don't play Randall at rb? Just curious. They guy can obviously run.
azpenguin

Post by azpenguin »

Probably because we've got Wilson and Baker back there already. I think there's more of a use for him at WR. I think that if Anu hadn't gotten hurt, Randall would have gotten in at WR in the second half to try to put pressure on the UCLA secondary. Those guys blanketed the UA receivers all night and having a speedburner like Randall out there would have forced them to cover a lot more ground. (I think this team misses Tyrell Johnson more than people think.)
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Like to see him in the slot if not WR, but I imagine RR doesn't want him to get hurt since he is Anu's backup.

I'd like to see Dawkins more as a backup to Anu since Randall can't throw and is in his last year.

But RR sees the players a lot more than we do, so can only guess Dawkins isn't a practice player.
azpenguin

Post by azpenguin »

Randall is a senior, Dawkins is a RS frosh. Bit of an experience edge there even though they've both been in the system two years; Randall has had time in D-1 environments before. RR said that Randall is faster but Dawkins is bigger, all three QBs can run the whole offense but there are plays they might call if one's in and not the others to play to strengths. Right now I would trust Randall to run the offense more just based on what he brings to the running game vs. Dawkins. If Solomon can't go this weekend we may be seeing some series with Dawkins.

Next year (barring transfers of course, I doubt it but you never know) the QB position will be Anu, Dawkins, Tate, Modster, and Werlinger. Redshirt junior, two redshirt sophomores, two true freshmen. I don't know how much the coaching staff thinks Werlinger would be starting material (although after what they did with Denker nothing would shock me.) The battle for the #2 spot behind Solomon is going to be interesting. I think Modster may make a push but it's hard for a true frosh to start at QB under RR.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Scooby is out. We may never see the ball.
Right where I want to be.
Gladiator Cat

Post by Gladiator Cat »

Putting aside the Stanford game for a moment, and fully grasping the reality of an already bad Arizona defense that will be without the services of Scooby Wright for most of the year, the South has now clearly become a three way race between USC, UCLA and Utah.

ASSU and UofA will be fighting it out for an invite to the glorious "Walk-on Bowl" at "Gimmick Stadium".
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

gumby wrote:Scooby is out. We may never see the ball.
So negative Gumby, man

It is going to be painful watching Stanford rush at will against us.
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

Gladiator Cat wrote:Putting aside the Stanford game for a moment, and fully grasping the reality of an already bad Arizona defense that will be without the services of Scooby Wright for most of the year, the South has now clearly become a three way race between USC, UCLA and Utah.

ASSU and UofA will be fighting it out for an invite to the glorious "Walk-on Bowl" at "Gimmick Stadium".
Our 2015 walk-on class though was the best in the nation according to Rich Rod
carolinacat

Post by carolinacat »

AZarchery wrote:Is there any reason we don't play Randall at rb? Just curious. They guy can obviously run.
I don't see why we don't have Randall, Solomon and Wilson all on the field at the same time. Spread teams out and give the ball to the guys who are tough to tackle.

And on defense, for crying out loud, please bring some pressure on every play. I kept waiting for our safeties to come up and clean up a UCLA run to the outside....and then watched Perkins or whoever eventually just waltz through a giant hole. Watching game film must've been painful.
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

whatisee wrote:There's nothing in Stanford's play that leads me to believe we can't beat them. Stop McCaffery and you hog tie Stanford. Hopefully Anu is back, and Cayman isn't scared this week. Winnable game on the road. This isn't your normal Stanford D boys.
I am not sure which will be a bigger factor in attempting to stop ANYBODY's pass defense: our secondary's inability to cover, or their inability to tackle. Denson has been abysmal, but he has company.

Unless UCLA's defensive backfield is filled with future Revis & Sherman types, our WR corps cannot create separation. Even if UCLA does have all-world DB's, it will not matter If Solomon is out - because Randall is zero threat through the air.

We have a formidable rushing attack with a Swiss cheese defense that has suffered some painful personnel losses. Getting to 4 conference wins this year is a realistic goal: CU, ASU, WSU, OSU.

Yes, I am putting too much weight on the UCLA game, because it is the only one we have played. UTSA anyone? Nevada made OK St look like the Patriots.
OSUCat

Post by OSUCat »

I don't understand the offensive complaints. Arizona could run and pass on UCLA (W/ Anu and random bad snaps), that wasn't this issue of the game.

We all know the issue for the remaining games will be if Arizona stop anyone? If Arizona can't it wont matter what the offense does.

I personally think we should use a 2 QB system. Let Randall start, but give some real reps to Dawkins.
Formerly Lynx Rufus.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

LB corp decimated. I don't think Turituri will play this Saturday either. How bad is it when a 4 star kid like Ware can't see the field when we have no one left to play. Antonio Smothers? That has to be utter failure defined.

I like the idea of Dawkins playing more. He can throw it a bit better than JR and JR could still be used in situations more suited to the read option. Besides we could get Dawkins ready for next year or beyond.

Furd might be the most physical team in the league so we may get beat down even further with injuries. Wilson is hurting and not hearing about him today makes me think he may be out to. Bradford had a concussion but would love to see him out there. just can't believe the amount of walking wounded
Last edited by azcat49 on Mon Sep 28, 2015 6:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

We have to be one of the most injured teams in America by now
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

ASUHATER! wrote:We have to be one of the most injured teams in America by now
UCLA wasn't? See the depth difference? You have to have depth and cannot rely on just one to three guys only and throw away the season if they get hurt.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

chiefzona wrote:
UCLA wasn't? See the depth difference? You have to have depth and cannot rely on just one to three guys only and throw away the season if they get hurt.
Ucla was nowhere near as injured as us. Sorry for your wrongness.

Fire rr!
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

I think chief's I told you so train needs to slow down some. Easy to attack after a loss and now we are really banged up.

RR has 3 bowls, a 10 win season, a south crown and is the father of the read option. An offense that a lot of teams have used to great heights.

I will agree about the defensive scheme but RR is loyal to a fault and when we don't play well on offense, we get run out of the place.

As for recruiting, this is his best class and we have 4 stars starting that he brought in at multiple positions. You can't go deeper than 4 deep with The 85 schollie limit but hey, I am sure we would all love to recruit better.
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

chiefzona wrote:
We are down a starting OT, a starting DT, a starting OLB, and a starting CB. We don't have a rash of injuries, but we have some key injuries
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

ASUHATER! wrote:
chiefzona wrote:
Ucla was nowhere near as injured as us. Sorry for your wrongness.

Fire rr!
Arizona was more injured before the UCLA game? Please explain.
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

azcat49 wrote:I think chief's I told you so train needs to slow down some. Easy to attack after a loss and now we are really banged up.

RR has 3 bowls, a 10 win season, a south crown and is the father of the read option. An offense that a lot of teams have used to great heights.

I will agree about the defensive scheme but RR is loyal to a fault and when we don't play well on offense, we get run out of the place.

As for recruiting, this is his best class and we have 4 stars starting that he brought in at multiple positions. You can't go deeper than 4 deep with The 85 schollie limit but hey, I am sure we would all love to recruit better.

It's not about an I told you so and more of how didn't you see it yet argued with me incessantly.