Game #9 @ Washington Huskies Discussion Thread

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Merkin

Game #9 @ Washington Huskies Discussion Thread

Post by Merkin »

Hopefully the dawg pound goes crazy with costumes. But then bails for the parties.
azpenguin

Re: Game #9 @ Washington Huskies Discussion Thread

Post by azpenguin »

RichRod ain't happy with that starting time. At all.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

He should be. They won't be home until 6 or 7am the next morning and they have USC that next week. I guess it is the cost of the TV revenue but it sucks.Hopefully they take out there anger on the dawgs. Go all Michael Vick on them
Last edited by azcat49 on Mon Oct 19, 2015 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
Gilbertcat

Post by Gilbertcat »

You would have to assume that their attendance would suffer at least. USC plays Call at noon that day so can be home watching our game if they want.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Gilbertcat wrote:You would have to assume that their attendance would suffer at least. USC plays Call at noon that day so can be home watching our game if they want.
Good. Besides the fact that after this week(8) every team but Arizona and Colorado will have had byes we have to play back to back road games. One is the furthest flight in the conference where we'll not be back until Sunday morning so Sunday is a waste as far as practice and prep...then we have to get on a plane again probably less than 5 days later to go to LA. Pac 12 is doing what it can to bone Arizona schedule wise this year.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

They need to flip those games. Put Cal and USC, a true marquee game on at night and then USC has less than a 2 hour flight home. Put our game on at noon and we get home by 9 or 10.

I do wonder though if the stations are picking the teams to slot in those games. If so not sure how it is the conference's problem past selling the game rights into rediculous windows

Anybody want to bet AZ will be the last team to have no bye's by true schedule. The conference will look at our defense and see 9 starters out and say they can't do that to the california schools or NIKE U
Last edited by azcat49 on Mon Oct 19, 2015 3:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

ASUHATER! wrote:
Gilbertcat wrote:You would have to assume that their attendance would suffer at least. USC plays Call at noon that day so can be home watching our game if they want.
Good. Besides the fact that after this week(8) every team but Arizona and Colorado will have had byes we have to play back to back road games. One is the furthest flight in the conference where we'll not be back until Sunday morning so Sunday is a waste as far as practice and prep...then we have to get on a plane again probably less than 5 days later to go to LA. Pac 12 is doing what it can to bone Arizona schedule wise this year.
Again you have no idea what you are talking about.
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

More from Rosenblatt:

http://tucson.com/sports/article_811872 ... d56f8.html" target="_blank

On finding out: "I’ll get on my soapbox here, I just found out the next game is going to be at Washington at 8 at night, and we won’t get back until 5 in the morning. I just don’t understand how this happens. We play 12 straight (games), and we play night and road games, and we’re gonna play an 8 o'clock road game at Washington, get back at 5 in the morning, then have to go back on the road again.

"If the conference is really concerned about student-athlete welfare, something should be stepped in because when do guys get a chance to be healthy. We’re not getting treatments on the plane. You can try to sleep, but you’re not getting much rest while you’re traveling."

On the conference stepping in: "I think it’s ridiculous. I understand TV is going to pick the times, and they have the right to do it since they’re paying us all this money, so theyre gonna pick. But if for every road game you’re getting back late and then you have turn-around and go back on the road again...

"Don’t go on your soapbox and talk about student athlete welfare and then have these kids get back at 5 or 6 in the morning. If we're in it for that part of it, there's got to be a better way. At some point the conference has to have the ablity to step in and say ‘hey, give this team one afternoon road game. Maybe all the rest are at night, but give them one break so they can get home at a reasonable hour. It’s silly, it really is."

On playing 12 straight weeks and how the late starts compound that problem: "I’ll complain now and then I won't again because the no open date thing is still disturbing, but the late night road game to battle with no open dates is a little bit, I think, not being cognizant of what the student athletes need. The coaches, we can go late. But the kids, it’s not good.

On if he'd prefer a week-night game to a late Saturday kick-off: "Absolutely. Give me a Thursday game, give me a Friday game so they have a day off. Give me a Thursday game on five days, as long as the other team has five days. I’ve done that a bunch of times. I’ve done Wednesday games with five days.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

PHXCATS wrote:
ASUHATER! wrote:
Absolutely nothing I said is incorrect. Do you dispute that uw is far away? That we don't have a bye? You're just bitching to bitch at this point aren't you? Give it up bud.

Gilbertcat

Post by Gilbertcat »

ASUHATER! wrote:
Basically what Rich Rod was saying. Although Colorado did it by choice when using the 13th game option. It may not be the Pac 12 telling the networks what to do but they certainly are not helping. No bye, allowing 2 weeks of not telling the fans when a kickoff will be until 5 days before. 1pm home games..
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

ASUHATER! wrote:
PHXCATS wrote:
ASUHATER! wrote:
Absolutely nothing I said is incorrect. Do you dispute that uw is far away? That we don't have a bye? You're just bitching to bitch at this point aren't you? Give it up bud.
The conference has zero to do with the time so your comment does not work. They are not trying to "bone Arizona schedule wise this year"

ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

So you should direct your idiocy at Rich Rod and Byrne then right? Because they're obviously idiots for trying to submit a complaint to the PAC 12.

Machina

Post by Machina »

Filing a complaint with the PAC12 is not the same as blaming the PAC12. They are seeking help through an available avenue.
Machina

Post by Machina »

Just hope this does not become a distraction from WSU
gumby

Post by gumby »

Latest start in the history of Husky Stadium. Could be c-c-c-old.
Right where I want to be.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

ASUHATER! wrote:So you should direct your idiocy at Rich Rod and Byrne then right? Because they're obviously idiots for trying to submit a complaint to the PAC 12.
Another swing and a miss by you
gumby

Post by gumby »

Swap email addresses, fellas. Kinda boring.
MrMeow

Post by MrMeow »

gumby wrote:Swap email addresses, fellas. Kinda boring.
Not really. When incorrect information is given publicly it's good that it's corrected publicly.
azpenguin

Post by azpenguin »

gumby wrote:Latest start in the history of Husky Stadium. Could be c-c-c-old.
Remember the Utah players trying to intimidate Arizona by coming out in short sleeves last year in that ice cold rain? If it's gonna be cold, bring it on.
Gilbertcat

Post by Gilbertcat »

Using the 10 day forecast I feel the mid 50s is a reasonable guess on what it might be a few days more.

One thing is attendance might be low and we may get a Stanford effect type game. Hopefully no injuries this weekend.
gumby

Post by gumby »

MrMeow wrote:
Not really. When incorrect information is given publicly it's good that it's corrected publicly.
The correct it in a clear, concise manner.

"Nope you're wrong."

"No. I'm not."

"Yes, you are, idiot"

"No, you're the idiot."

Um, what was the topic again?
MrMeow

Post by MrMeow »

gumby wrote:
MrMeow wrote:

"Nope you're wrong."

"No. I'm not."

"Yes, you are, idiot"

"No, you're the idiot."

PHXCATS had a good point even if you don't like the delivery, and since you are the only one complaining try just skipping what you don't like in the future.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

MrMeow wrote:
gumby wrote:
MrMeow wrote:

"Nope you're wrong."

"No. I'm not."

"Yes, you are, idiot"

"No, you're the idiot."

PHXCATS had a good point even if you don't like the delivery, and since you are the only one complaining try just skipping what you don't like in the future.
I think Gumby was speaking for a lot of us. "You have no idea what you're talking about" is picking a fight. Not correcting erroneous info.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
MrMeow

Post by MrMeow »

Chicat wrote:
MrMeow wrote:
gumby wrote:
MrMeow wrote:

"Nope you're wrong."

"No. I'm not."

"Yes, you are, idiot"

"No, you're the idiot."

I think Gumby was speaking for a lot of us. "You have no idea what you're talking about" is picking a fight. Not correcting erroneous info.[/quote

Since I wasn't included in your survey please mark me as not offended. I'm surprised Gumby got her panties all in a bunch over it.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

MrMeow wrote:
Chicat wrote:I think Gumby was speaking for a lot of us. "You have no idea what you're talking about" is picking a fight. Not correcting erroneous info.
Since I wasn't included in your survey please mark me as not offended. I'm surprised Gumby got her panties all in a bunch over it.
Thanks for elevating the discussion.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
ghostwhitehorse

Post by ghostwhitehorse »

Chicat wrote:
MrMeow wrote:
Chicat wrote:I think Gumby was speaking for a lot of us. "You have no idea what you're talking about" is picking a fight. Not correcting erroneous info.
Mr.Meows bowl of milk was obviously cold, hence the grouchiness. He really should take out on his humans though and not the board membership. . .
MrMeow

Post by MrMeow »

ghostwhitehorse wrote:
Chicat wrote:
MrMeow wrote:
Mr.Meows bowl of milk was obviously cold, hence the grouchiness. He really should take out on his humans though and not the board membership. . .
Nope, Caballo Blanco, you have no idea what you're talking about. :D
97cats

Post by 97cats »

was at Husky stadium this past weekend for the Oregon game and the rain made it tough to enjoy for the beginning -- bleachers suck too but other than that the stadium was solid and the campus in general was very impressive.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Byrne just said on 1290 this afternoon they requested an earlier start time BEFORE the time was even announced, because of no bye weeks, the distance to travel to UDub, and consecutive road games.

F Larry Scott.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

UAEebs86 wrote:Byrne just said on 1290 this afternoon they requested an earlier start time BEFORE the time was even announced, because of no bye weeks, the distance to travel to UDub, and consecutive road games.

F Larry Scott.
I think this is how it went.

Byrne: Hey Larry can we have an earlier start time for Washington? you know because of the travel time and no byes and such.

Larry: Let me think about it. No.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

UAEebs86 wrote:Byrne just said on 1290 this afternoon they requested an earlier start time BEFORE the time was even announced, because of no bye weeks, the distance to travel to UDub, and consecutive road games.

F Larry Scott.
Are we really still not getting it? Larry had zero to do with this. My goodness why does everyone think that everyone is out to get Arizona?
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

PHXCATS wrote:

F Larry Scott.
Are we really still not getting it? Larry had zero to do with this. My goodness why does everyone think that everyone is out to get Arizona?
Zero? How hard did the Pac-12 fight to ensure that a team without a bye this year wouldn't end up flying all night to get home? Fine, maybe Larry didn't hand down some kind of edict that Arizona be screwed at every turn, but when Arizona student athletes are being screwed, and possibly having their health put at risk, how hard did the people under Larry work to make sure that every possibility and scenario was exhausted with the television partners before scheduling was completed?

I would say there's a culture within the Pac12 hierarchy that maybe doesn't give as much a shit about Arizona as other teams in the conference. I put that on Larry. You of course don't have to agree, but I tend to hold those making the most money the most accountable when I see someone getting the short end of the stick.
Gilbertcat

Post by Gilbertcat »

RazorsEdgeAZ

Post by RazorsEdgeAZ »

We don't know if Pac12 talked to the networks about consideration that Byrne requested. Even Byrne said today on radio that he understands TV Networks dictate. Think Byrne even hinted a formal complaint couldn't be filed (help here if others heard). More of a launching point of awareness/discussion.

We Don't know if Pac12 asked for consideration and was declined by Networks. Don't know if they did or didn't.

Pac12 has little to no leverage here since they signed the ESPN/FOX deal in 2011 (kicked in 2012) season. Think part of the angle here is to see if PAC12 can work with ESPN/FOX about policy regarding student athletes and late travel after no bye weeks or many consecutive weeks of play.

Before 2012 season UA was on ESPN/Fox networks, but not nearly as much. They were on Versus, FOXaz, in some instances no TV. Last year UA was on ESPN/FOX in 10 games. Pac12Network 4 games. That's what happens when your school is competitive and vying for a South title. Networks want you on their airwaves.

The 2011 ESPN/FOX deal tripled the revenue to schools. Tripled. Couldn't have afforded a Rich Rod or other nice things without it.

Byrne's Quote to ESPN when 2011 deal announced:
"It is a historic deal for the conference and our university," Arizona athletic director Greg Byrne said. "It gives us a much-needed revenue stream and at the same time improves our ability to compete on a national level for many years to come."
ESPN/FOX deal needs to fill primetime programming. They want best match-ups possible to make money. When you have a good team, they go to you to fill that need. If AZ wasn't South champs, they could avoid as much and be like Colorado, ntOSU this year.

Not trying to make it sound better, but the good (attention, exposure, being competitive) comes with the bad in this case (TV wanting you on their airwaves) in exchange for lots of money you (schools) agreed to receive and to put them on National TV. Will go out on a limb and say TV Execs care less about student welfare and/or UA. Maybe less than Pac12 offices, maybe. I do think the student welfare angle and pressure on them getting negative attention/press about would get ESPN/Fox to listen more. Maybe.

The student welfare is a great convo to have BTW. Maybe TV will think about it future. Thurday / Friday games too.

What 2011 ESPN/FOX deal looks to fill time slot wise:
Under this deal, Fox and ESPN will split the rights to college football games. ESPN will air its games on cable as well as ABC; Fox will show its games on its broadcast network, basic cable network FX and on the Fox Sports Net regional networks.

ESPN will air four prime-time games on both Thursday and Friday nights, as well as a 10:30 p.m. ET/7:30 p.m. PT Saturday window for football. There will also be at least five Saturday night prime-time games on ABC or Fox.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

azgreg

Post by azgreg »

carolinacat

Post by carolinacat »

Petros Papadakis? So the players get screwed with a late flight home and the fans get screwed listening to a USC blowhard.
The Pac 12 really has a talent deficiency issue when it comes to selecting its anchors, reporters, play by play, etc...
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

U$C game is going to kickoff a half hour later Tucson time. At least it's a short flight.

Funny how U$C wants a later kick for their homecoming and they get one...
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
Gilbertcat

Post by Gilbertcat »

Complaining about an 8pm start...fine, then it will be 8:30 next week.

Pac-12 complaint department
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Makes sense from the pac 12. With the time change they still won't get back from LA until about 3-4 am Arizona time.

Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

Which once again proves my theory that God hates Arizona football
2004 First Team All American Football Poster as voted on by GOAZCATS
Irish27

Post by Irish27 »

Weather is not looking good.
2019 & 2021 Basketball RAP Winner/2022 Football RAP Winner
Sid

Post by Sid »

Irish27 wrote:Weather is not looking good.
More the reason to start JR. The kid deserves the start Rich, please give him the fucking rock!

We need a lot of changes, this one is a no brainer.

Make it happen Coach!
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

should be a pretty heavy and steady rain throughout the game.
azpenguin

Post by azpenguin »

Kinda like the Utah game last year, just not as cold.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

UA lost 31-13 in the Seattle rain with a running QB BJ Denker.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Seems like we always play Halloween/ November rainy cold games in Seattle

Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

Washington 38
Arizona 20

Not a blow out on paper, but I don't think the game will feel close. Some of their players still have to be pissed about last year and outside of the leap by the lake we seem to always play lose in Seattle. Remember the foot interception by Foles
2004 First Team All American Football Poster as voted on by GOAZCATS
azthrillhouse

Post by azthrillhouse »

Newportcat wrote:Remember the foot interception by Foles
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

carolinacat wrote:Petros Papadakis? So the players get screwed with a late flight home and the fans get screwed listening to a USC blowhard.
The Pac 12 really has a talent deficiency issue when it comes to selecting its anchors, reporters, play by play, etc...
Petros is pretty fair when he's doing games. He also isnt terrible as an sports guy and talking about sports. USC fans hate him because they dont feel he pumps the Trojans