Too early, premature....who's next?

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

HaCats

Too early, premature....who's next?

Post by HaCats »

So the last couple of days I've finally gotten to the point where I'm already pondering the next chapter. I know some will say it's too early to discuss, others will say it's irresponsible....but to hell with it, it's a message board.

I'm curious for those willing to go down this road right now....who are some names that you'd like to see seriously considered. And who are some names that you think Byrne will seriously consider.

Utah St coach and Memphis coach are intriguing but I also can't help but wonder if their success is tied more to Keaton and Lynch than it is to them being great coaches.
cordera89

Re: Too early, premature....who's next?

Post by cordera89 »

Were just going to have to wait and see what will or wont happen. We don't know if RR is going to leave or going to stay. We don't know what byrne intention is if he decide to try to keep him or part way. It not too early start thinking. We all been talking about this for a good while and still continue to do so. It the wait and see approach.
wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

My vote goes to Jeff Casteel!!
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Needs to be an Arizona Man

Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
cordera89

Post by cordera89 »

Like I said let wait and see what happen after the season is over.
Macho Grande

Post by Macho Grande »

I don't think RR leaves after this season. But when he does, I'd like to see Byrne go after Dave Fipp.
cordera89

Post by cordera89 »

With every thing he built at Arizona in just 4 short years why leave it. Why leave Pac 12, Why leave Arizona if your happily of being their. He also has full support from Byrnes, He has veteran roster of his own player coming back next year and it will be a 5th season of his offense and defense system in place. It hardly to see him start that all over again. I believe he going to stay for 5th season. This season has been disappointed but I don't think it will make him leave.
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

Did I miss something? Is there legitimate talk of RR leaving for another school? What?
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

PieceOfMeat wrote:Did I miss something? Is there legitimate talk of RR leaving for another school? What?
No, just people shyte-ing bricks because of internet rumors.
cordera89

Post by cordera89 »

wyo-cat wrote:
PieceOfMeat wrote:Did I miss something? Is there legitimate talk of RR leaving for another school? What?
No one is throwing brick at nothing. Some of us believe he not going to leave, Some of us believe he going to leave because he wont make certain changes to certain and possible a bigger school will offer him a lot of money, Some of us are just waiting to see what going to happen.

The media wants to make those rumors come true at some point.
wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

cordera89 wrote:
wyo-cat wrote:
No one is throwing brick at nothing. Some of us believe he not going to leave, Some of us believe he going to leave because he wont make certain changes to certain and possible a bigger school will offer him a lot of money, Some of us are just waiting to see what going to happen.

RR currently makes about $500,000 more than Frank Beamer, not counting the continued vesting of the retention plan. Is that the big name school?
cordera89

Post by cordera89 »

Do you think Va Tech is going to care about his Investment and Retention plan. All their going to do is blow that out the water. That If RR stay to collect all of that.
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

For Arizona Football there is no such thing as an Arizona man. We sre not a dream
Destination and we are a really tough program because history has proven no coach can ever recruit constantly well which means we are never constantly good. Only thing that changes that is if we get lucky and get a rich donor to go oregon style on us via facilities.

I am not sure who we would get, I trust Byrne as he has been good with his coaching decisions outside the swim coach. At this point still think it's early but seems like where there is smoke there is fire
2004 First Team All American Football Poster as voted on by GOAZCATS
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

wyo-cat wrote:
cordera89 wrote:
wyo-cat wrote:

RR currently makes about $500,000 more than Frank Beamer, not counting the continued vesting of the retention plan. Is that the big name school?
Beamer gives Va Tech a Lute Olson type deal. He's paid much less than what he deserves, because he was never going to leave Blacksburg and he wanted more money to go to his staff. Va Tech can and will pay more for their football coach than we can.
RazorsEdgeAZ

Post by RazorsEdgeAZ »

cordera89 wrote:Do you think Va Tech is going to care about his Investment and Retention plan. All their going to do is blow that out the water. That If RR stay to collect all of that.
Well as long as it's known that AZ has a bigger athletics department budget and more revenue than VT. AZ had $100 million revenue last year. VT $73 million. Both new highs for each program. AZ Pays their coaches more than VT

AZ also took in more TV revenue money than VT. Pac12 also takes in more than ACC in TV revenue and will continue to increase that gap between the two conferences.

So I believe if Rich Rod gets offered by VT and accepts VT, it's not primarily because of money or improving odds to win a championship or for future revenue - meaning program growth/$$ resources. Guessing would be for other reasons that mean more to him AND his family. And if it were for more money, then more power to him and his family. Most of us strive for financial gains / independence. Nothing wrong with wanting/trying to make more money. Most of us would jump to another job, that WE ourselves assess is a better for ourselves and if offered make 20%-30%-40%-50%-more.

AND, IF he wants to leave to another program I don't hold any grudges. This forum talk... We all have free will to do want we want and want we feel is best for us AND our families. If him and Rita thinks it's best for them and their kids. Then fine. It's their family. Not ours. It's the nature of the coaching business. None of us know what or IF the family discussed the move. For goodness sake, they wouldn't be kidnapping their kids to Blacksburg. Their kids seem well adjusted, seem like a close knit family. Kids seem well loved. They've done this before... They seem to be OK.

I'm not that judgmental.
Last edited by RazorsEdgeAZ on Fri Nov 06, 2015 8:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
BMalo

Post by BMalo »

Want to know more about Matt Wells. USU is his alma mater and he's been for the 3 years. Has a decent record in the Mountain West and has done well with Keaton. Don't know what type of offense/defense he runs, though. I watched about 3 minutes of their game last week and saw their D in a 3-4?
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

BMalo wrote:Want to know more about Matt Wells. USU is his alma mater and he's been for the 3 years. Has a decent record in the Mountain West and has done well with Keaton. Don't know what type of offense/defense he runs, though. I watched about 3 minutes of their game last week and saw their D in a 3-4?
Spread offense focused on the Run and yes he runs a 3-4.
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

I'd hold a grudge because leaving this year would be a horrible thing to do to his son. It'd be incomprehensibly selfish. Next year? No problem, but let your boy have his senior year in high school!

On another note, VTech is literally within sneezing distance of West Virginia, so that could be particularly appealing to RR.
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

RazorsEdgeAZ wrote:
cordera89 wrote:Do you think Va Tech is going to care about his Investment and Retention plan. All their going to do is blow that out the water. That If RR stay to collect all of that.
Well as long as it's known that AZ has a bigger athletics department budget and more revenue than VT. AZ had $100 million revenue last year. VT $73 million. Both new highs for each program. AZ Pays their coaches more than VT

AZ also took in more TV revenue money than VT. Pac12 also takes in more than ACC in TV revenue and will continue to increase that gap between the two conferences.

So I believe if Rich Rod gets offered by VT and accepts VT, it's not primarily because of money or improving odds to win a championship or for future revenue - meaning program growth/$$ resources. Guessing would be for other reasons that mean more to him AND his family. And if it were for more money, then more power to him and his family. Most of us strive for financial gains / independence. Nothing wrong with wanting/trying to make more money. Most of us would jump to another job, that WE ourselves assess is a better for ourselves and if offered make 20%-30%-40%-50%-more.

AND, IF he wants to leave to another program I don't hold any grudges. This forum talk... We all have free will to do want we want and want we feel is best for us AND our families. If him and Rita thinks it's best for them and their kids. Then fine. It's their family. Not ours. It's the nature of the coaching business. None of us know what or IF the family discussed the move. For goodness sake, they wouldn't be kidnapping their kids to Blacksburg. Their kids seem well adjusted, seem like a close knit family. Kids seem well loved. They've done this before... They seem to be OK.

I'm not that judgmental.
I agree with this, that if he leaves it's not about money. He can't spend what he makes now. He's an east coast guy, and RR realizes it's going to be really tough to repeat least year. There was an anomaly with a lot of luck involved, and now with USC and UCLA both back the Cats will generally be fighting for 3rd place in the Pac South and it is very difficult to recruit to Tucson. RR really likes the 3-3-5 (shudder) and has realized it's not a defense you can run with against a Power 5 conference team.

So I do wish he would stay, but no hard feelings if he goes. Larry Smith leaving was much more traumatic for me, being the program was heading to the next level, and the method in which Smith left. The current program is not heading upward, and will just be the same as it has, looking at a 7-5 season being successful with this year hoping to go 6-6 with a lousy bowl game.
BMalo

Post by BMalo »

ChooChooCat wrote:
Spread offense focused on the Run and yes he runs a 3-4.
I would be in favor of this.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Puerco wrote:I'd hold a grudge because leaving this year would be a horrible thing to do to his son. It'd be incomprehensibly selfish. Next year? No problem, but let your boy have his senior year in high school!
Why couldn't he have his senior year in HS exactly? Rich Rod doesn't have to have a job in Tucson for his son to be able to have his senior year at Catalina Foothills.
AZarchery

Post by AZarchery »

I think Matt wells would be a good fit, if he wants to come here. I think the most important thing is he is already on the west coast and knows the recruiting territory.
dc4azcats

Post by dc4azcats »

Dino Babers is looking like the perfect fit which means he probably won't get it.

Coached for Dick Tomey (OC '98 - '00) so he gets everything that comes with being the HC at Arizona.
Besides being at Arizona he was also at Ucla so he's familiar with recruiting the west coast.
Was the OC at TAM ('01-'02) when GB's Dad was the AD so there's another connection.
Was the WR's coach at Baylor from '08-'11 learning Art Briles offense.
Was the HC at Eastern Illinois where they had won all of 4 games in the 2 years before he arrived. Babers led EI to the FCS playoffs in back to back years. He's in his 2nd year at Bowling Green where they currently sit at 7-2. They average 430 yards passing per game and 163 yards rushing. The average 45 points per game and give up 28. (most of the above info came from the current issue of Phil Steeles college football Mag.)

They beat Maryland and Purdue TY, lost to Tennessee and gave Memphis a game losing 44-41.

His offense would be the perfect fit to our current personnel. On D he currently runs a 4-3 but whomever comes here as the DC is going to have his work cut out for him.
BMalo

Post by BMalo »

Dino is intriguing in the sense that when he left UofA (not much offense while he was here) he went on to coach under some impressive offensive HCs/OCs. From the looks of his offense at BG the past two years, stat wise, one could say his offensive style has progressed.
dc4azcats

Post by dc4azcats »

BMalo wrote:Dino is intriguing in the sense that when he left UofA (not much offense while he was here) he went on to coach under some impressive offensive HCs/OCs. From the looks of his offense at BG the past two years, stat wise, one could say his offensive style has progressed.
Actually 1998 was one of our best years offensively during the Tomey years. We averaged 33.8 points per game. Came back the next year and averages 28 ppg. The wheels came off in 2000 and DT was let go at the end of the season.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Babers is interesting.

Seems to have survived quite well in the UCLA Dorrell era.

1984 Hawaii (GA)
1985 Arizona State (GA)
1987 Eastern Illinois (RB)
1988–1989 UNLV (ST/RB)
1990 Northern Arizona (ST)
1991–1993 Purdue (WR)
1994 San Diego State (WR)
1995–1997 Arizona (WR/RB/QB)
1998–2000 Arizona (OC/QB)
2001–2002 Texas A&M (OC/QB)
2003 Pittsburgh (RB)
2004–2007 UCLA (asst. HC/RB/QB)
2008 Baylor (WR/RC)
2009–2011 Baylor (ST/WR)
2012–2013 Eastern Illinois
2014–present Bowling Green
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

Babers is interesting.... and is probably gettable. Same goes for Wells.

Fuentes, Herman, & Rhule should be high on the wish list, but I suspect they will have bigger opportunities.

Mullen is interesting; highly unlikely, but someone mentioned a possibility.

Of the re-treads who might be available, I would be very happy if we had a shot at Mark Richt. I think others may disagree, but that is a hire I could get fired up about.
dc4azcats

Post by dc4azcats »

Harvey Specter wrote:Babers is interesting.... and is probably gettable. Same goes for Wells.

Fuentes, Herman, & Rhule should be high on the wish list, but I suspect they will have bigger opportunities.

Mullen is interesting; highly unlikely, but someone mentioned a possibility.

Of the re-treads who might be available, I would be very happy if we had a shot at Mark Richt. I think others may disagree, but that is a hire I could get fired up about.
Honestly, as we sit here today, Babers is a better fit for Arizona than RR when you consider he's coached here before so he gets that part of the puzzle. His offense is tailor made to our personnel so good chance we don't miss a beat. That's really important in my mind because being able to score gives you a punchers chance in any game while you work on righting the ship that is our D. His offense and being known to a lot of HS coaches on the west coast is probably our best chance at keeping recruits.
Gladiator Cat

Post by Gladiator Cat »

While we're all sitting here day dreaming and postulating about potential hires I'll openly admit that I haven't followed Dino Babers at all.

In fact I didn't even know he was still coaching. He does have a UofA legacy with coach Tomey, but other than that he's just another guy.

If that was GB's guy in the end, that would be a pretty underwhelming hire for this old cat. But I openly admit, I've not followed him.

I'd like someone a little fresher, younger with a take no prisoners attitude or an older really highly reguarded guy that may have something to prove, just like RR but with west coast ties and a desire to remain out west.

Oh and a news flash. No I'm retiring here BS this is my final stop. Just come here and recruit and coach like hell and stay on point.
boat343

Post by boat343 »

I'm all in for Babers.

He coached here under Tomey which automatically gives him credibility in my book. He coached a wealth of NFL talent while at UofA, including loyal alumnus Brandon Manumaleuna, who happens to coach at Narbornne HS in LA. Although on Defense, Antonio Pierce was on the team while he was there, and he's now coaching at Poly. This can't hurt with recruiting. Also, again, coming from the Tomey coaching tree, I'd be willing to bet he will automatically have cred with Tomey loyalists who are coaching in the LA area (isn't Keith Smith coaching somewhere?). He's coached extensively on the west coast (was at UCLA) and I think it would be easy for him to make immediate inroads (presuming he doesn't already have them). His offenses speak for them self and he's learned under the modern day innovator, Art Briles. I just hope he doesn't run his staff like some Brady Bunch operation and insists on bringing in his drinking buddies to sink or swim with the ship. Imagine his offense and bringing back Duane Akina as the D-Coordinator?

The man is killing it at Bowling Green. He's beat Purdue, Maryland, and loss by 3 to Memphis and the golden boy, Justin Fuente. PLEASE. HIRE. BABERS!

http://cfbhuddle.com/2015/11/04/arizona ... no-babers/" target="_blank
AZarchery

Post by AZarchery »

Jim tressel?
azpenguin

Post by azpenguin »

No. Not Tressel. I could get behind a Babers hire. Would be a good fit.
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

AZarchery wrote:Jim tressel?
I could get behind a Tressel hire. A few red flags, certainly, but the ideal candidate is not coming here.

IIRC, his infractions were far less egregious than those committed by others who received far more lenient punishments, and I suspect he learned his lesson.

Although the vest would have to ditch the vest for home games until very late in the season.
MrMeow

Post by MrMeow »

Harvey Specter wrote:
I could get behind a Tressel hire. A few red flags, certainly, but the ideal candidate is not coming here.

IIRC, his infractions were far less egregious than those committed by others who received far more lenient punishments, and I suspect he learned his lesson.

Although the vest would have to ditch the vest for home games until very late in the season.

Right, the ideal candidate is not coming to Arizona. Let's face it, RR was not an ideal candidate when he came.

As for this thread,
Too early, premature? Yup!!
Who's next? Hopefully RR
azpenguin

Post by azpenguin »

Harvey Specter wrote:

Were you here when AZ was last under NCAA sanctions? I'm not sure Tressel's show cause has expired yet either.
TuiTouchdown

Post by TuiTouchdown »

Can we stop this thread right now. We're talking about Jim Tressel taking over?! Guys lets just appreciate the guy we have until we're... I don't know, more than a year away from when we won the South.
OSUCat

Post by OSUCat »

TuiTouchdown wrote:Can we stop this thread right now. We're talking about Jim Tressel taking over?! Guys lets just appreciate the guy we have until we're... I don't know, more than a year away from when we won the South.
This is not at you directly but an overall statement.

There is a difference between saying RR is gone and discussing potential future coaching and wanting to fire RR.

The majority of the people here don't want RR gone, but realize that the reality is that he could decide to leave and has potential interest in leaving. I would be happy with RR as the head coach, but until we stop hearing from insiders of these different jobs that RR would leave for, I will keep thinking about potential future head coaching.

Also, its not like I really want to discuss how we are currently playing anyways.......
Formerly Lynx Rufus.
azpenguin

Post by azpenguin »

I don't want RR gone at all. I hope to hell he stays. That said, this is a normal topic of conversation when there's a decent chance that you could be facing a coaching search in the near future.
UALoco

Post by UALoco »

I don't understand the sensitivity about talking about who might be a good coaching fit, you better believe Byrne is having this conversation a lot since the Vtech position opened and RR didn't come out and say, "I'm here at AZ for the long haul, not interested in other positions at all." Also, it is not like he or anyone on his staff are reading these stupid posts..if they are..they should be fired for wasting time when they should be scheming for the next game.

I just want someone young, hungry, smart, innovative, honest, and charismatic. I hear Sark will be available in a few days when he gets out of rehab.
azpenguin

Post by azpenguin »

UALoco wrote:I don't understand the sensitivity about talking about who might be a good coaching fit, you better believe Byrne is having this conversation a lot since the Vtech position opened and RR didn't come out and say, "I'm here at AZ for the long haul, not interested in other positions at all." Also, it is not like he or anyone on his staff are reading these stupid posts..if they are..they should be fired for wasting time when they should be scheming for the next game.

I just want someone young, hungry, smart, innovative, honest, and charismatic. I hear Sark will be available in a few days when he gets out of rehab.
Byrne has most likely had a list in his drawer since soon after hiring RR. Most ADs always have a list.