2016 Season Thread

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

azgreg

2016 Season Thread

Post by azgreg »

UAEebs86

Re: 2016 Season Thread

Post by UAEebs86 »

Both Grambling and Hawaii have come close to shutting down their football programs the last few years.

Was UAB not available?
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Can't imagine the fair weather fans loving the Grambling and Hawaii games.

BYU should be a good game between 2 middling programs. Maybe the Mormons from Mesa will come on down.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

BYE WEEK!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

azgreg wrote:BYE WEEK!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Saw a couple tweets stating that the PAC will give UA a bye week THE VERY FIRST WEEK!
Sage&Silver

Post by Sage&Silver »

This three game deal with BYU could really suck if Niumatalolo heads to Provo.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Start the conference against the best coach (IMO) and defense in Washington. Follow that up with UCLA and Utah on the road, USC and Furd. My goodness it could get ugly early even with an improved team
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
cats101

Post by cats101 »

Merkin wrote:Can't imagine the fair weather fans loving the Grambling and Hawaii games.

BYU should be a good game between 2 middling programs. Maybe the Mormons from Mesa will come on down.
The game is in Glendale.

I'm seeing 8-4 at best
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Lots of Mesa Mormons that are Asu/Byu fans will be there. Should hopefully start 3-0 but that 5 game stretch to start conference play is brutal. Should go 3-0 before the asu game. I'm seeing 8-4, maybe 9-3 if we avoid the injury bug.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

But it is good getting our two toughest road games out of the way in weeks 5-6. Last 7 weeks of the season we only have two roadies, @wsu and @osu.

Puerco

Post by Puerco »

azcat49 wrote:Start the conference against the best coach (IMO) and defense in Washington. Follow that up with UCLA and Utah on the road, USC and Furd. My goodness it could get ugly early even with an improved team
Prediction: if we're 4-4 at some point next season, then RichRod's seat is going to be warm.
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
3goggles

Post by 3goggles »

12-0
cordera89

Post by cordera89 »

Date Away Team Home Team
September 3, 2016 BYU Arizona (at University of Phoenix Stadium)
September 10, 2016 Grambling State Arizona
September 17, 2016 Hawai'i Arizona
September 24, 2016 Washington Arizona
October 1, 2016 Arizona UCLA
October 8, 2016 Arizona Utah
October 15, 2016 USC Arizona
October 29, 2016 Stanford Arizona
November 5, 2016 Arizona Washington State
November 12, 2016 Colorado Arizona
November 19, 2016 Arizona Oregon State
November 25, 2016 Arizona State Arizona
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

Schedule is brutal during that five game stretch. We lose to Washington at home, man it could get ugly

I think we will be better but not sure how much

Oh well who are we kidding I am a Debbie downer when it comes to Arizona football. I predict 7-5 with us going 1-4 during that middle stretch. We also won't make a rose bowl....again
2004 First Team All American Football Poster as voted on by GOAZCATS
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

Puerco wrote:Prediction: if we're 4-4 at some point next season, then RichRod's seat is going to be warm.
It would seem like there's a pretty decent chance that, after those first eight games, we're basically 4-4 plus or minus one. So if the reality is that 4-4 warms the seat, it would seem like there's a pretty decent chance that will occur.

Now I also think how it occurs will be important. For example if, during that tough four game stretch (ucla, Utah, usc, furd) we're giving up 42-56 points a game having retained Casteel as our DC, then that might well be hotter than just warm. That might already be moving toward riot zone.
DaddyO'Cat

Post by DaddyO'Cat »

SCCats wrote:
Puerco wrote:Prediction: if we're 4-4 at some point next season, then RichRod's seat is going to be warm.
It would seem like there's a pretty decent chance that, after those first eight games, we're basically 4-4 plus or minus one. So if the reality is that 4-4 warms the seat, it would seem like there's a pretty decent chance that will occur.

Now I also think how it occurs will be important. For example if, during that tough four game stretch (ucla, Utah, usc, furd) we're giving up 42-56 points a game having retained Casteel as our DC, then that might well be hotter than just warm. That might already be moving toward riot zone.
Agree
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

SCCats wrote:

And it should...
azthrillhouse

Post by azthrillhouse »

Harvey Specter wrote:
SCCats wrote:

And it should...
Agree w/ SCCat - I think style points do matter in those games if we lose them. If we lose 3-4 heartbreakers, I don't think anybody's seat should be warm. If we get our doors blown off in more than one game....yeah, something needs to change in a big way.

Much like the UCLA game this year, that UW game looks to be the tone-setter for the season. Hard to see losing that game and ending up with a good season.

I do like having the bye between SC and Stanford - the way Stanford grinds on you, coming into that game rested will be a huge help.
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

Our record since 2007 (ignoring the Mackovic disaster and the residual effects in Stoops's first 2 seasons) in games following a bye week is 12-10.

https://www.teamrankings.com/college-fo ... since_2007" target="_blank

That's probably a moderate improvement over our overall record in those seasons, although it would be interesting to look at who those games were played against to see how much. I suspect most of the post-bye week games were against P12 opponents, and should show more improvement (as our P12 record is << Than our overall record).
MrMeow

Post by MrMeow »

I haven't taken the time to look at each Pac12 team's 2016 schedule, however, I doubt UA's in-conference schedule is any more or less difficult than anyone else's. In 2016 UA will have the coveted bye week, three OOC cupcakes for warm- up, a team made of RR's recruits, and a coaching staff put together (and kept together) by RR. So, 2016 should be an excellent measure of RR's abilities as a coach. He's had the time he complained Michigan didn't give him. He has the facilities GB promised. He has his $1mm artificial playing surface. RR hasn't been slighted anywhere, not even by the Conference (no bye week). So, it's all on RR now. It will be interesting to see how he does ... or doesn't. It's just a business, right?
Fishclamps

Post by Fishclamps »

MrMeow wrote:I haven't taken the time to look at each Pac12 team's 2016 schedule, however, I doubt UA's in-conference schedule is any more or less difficult than anyone else's. In 2016 UA will have the coveted bye week, three OOC cupcakes for warm- up, a team made of RR's recruits, and a coaching staff put together (and kept together) by RR. So, 2016 should be an excellent measure of RR's abilities as a coach. He's had the time he complained Michigan didn't give him. He has the facilities GB promised. He has his $1mm artificial playing surface. RR hasn't been slighted anywhere, not even by the Conference (no bye week). So, it's all on RR now. It will be interesting to see how he does ... or doesn't. It's just a business, right?
For fucks sake, give it a rest. Yes, it is a business, just like any other. The sport of football in college only made $3.4 billion in revenue last year. They don't fire coaches for school pride, they fire them because they cost the schools money.

We get it, you don't like him and want him gone. Sadly for you, he's here one more year at least.

I get the feeling no matter what he does this year, good or bad, you'll be able to spin it that he's a giant piece of shit that needs to pack his bags and go.
MrMeow

Post by MrMeow »

Fishclamps wrote:
MrMeow wrote:I haven't taken the time to look at each Pac12 team's 2016 schedule, however, I doubt UA's in-conference schedule is any more or less difficult than anyone else's. In 2016 UA will have the coveted bye week, three OOC cupcakes for warm- up, a team made of RR's recruits, and a coaching staff put together (and kept together) by RR. So, 2016 should be an excellent measure of RR's abilities as a coach. He's had the time he complained Michigan didn't give him. He has the facilities GB promised. He has his $1mm artificial playing surface. RR hasn't been slighted anywhere, not even by the Conference (no bye week). So, it's all on RR now. It will be interesting to see how he does ... or doesn't. It's just a business, right?
For fucks sake, give it a rest. Yes, it is a business, just like any other. The sport of football in college only made $3.4 billion in revenue last year. They don't fire coaches for school pride, they fire them because they cost the schools money.

We get it, you don't like him and want him gone. Sadly for you, he's here one more year at least.

I get the feeling no matter what he does this year, good or bad, you'll be able to spin it that he's a giant piece of shit that needs to pack his bags and go.
What did I spin?
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

I'm absolutely positive that mrmeow has some kind of personal vendetta against RR

MrMeow

Post by MrMeow »

ASUHATER! wrote:I'm absolutely positive that mrmeow has some kind of personal vendetta against RR
looks like you haven't had your enema yet.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Ah so it is a personal vendetta. Wonder what happened between mrmeow and RR.

Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

I'd love for someone to highlight (in boldface text) the parts of the post above that are "spin".

- Year 5 with entire roster recruited by current staff? Check
- A supportive AD that pays him at-or-better-than his market rate? Check
- An exceptionally attractive retention plan that was amended in his favor so that he receives pro-rated amounts without having to stay through the entire contract? Check
- Investment in facilities and a turf field to leverage our tremendous advantage in speed at every position? Check
- A fan base that has been very supportive & understanding after a very disappointing (3-6 P12) year despite a preseason T25 ranking, and a putrid defense that gets progressively worse? Check

It is time to deliver. Short of another avalanche of injuries (which would raise other questions), there are no more excuses. A winning conference record is not unreasonable; we are not talking BCS playoff expectations here.

I hope he wins big next year. Then he either leaves (he'll have opportunities, and Rhett graduates HS) and the program looks appealing to an attractive replacement, or he stays because he wants to and is likely here for a while. I am happy either way.

As for the "3.4B business" comment... I believe UA FB generates just <$30MM in revenues annually, and the head coach is paid >10% of revenues. That is completely inane when compared to any other industry I know of, and it is because of sports fans 'emotional ties' to their alma mater / program of choice.

Let's call it the 'emotionally invested constituency' premium. For that premium, they deserve a little bit of leeway in getting fired up at times. In this case, it is simply leaving the emotions out, with an objective view that says "it's all business"; time to earn your paycheck.

Slurp on that...
wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

Harv, the U is on the hook for about 2 Mil of RR's money, so he's paid closer to 6% than 10, if 30 is the gross. I'm not sure what the gross is, quite honestly it doesn't matter. RR is paid on a national market, not in regard to what the U makes on FB.
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

wyo-cat wrote:Harv, the U is on the hook for about 2 Mil of RR's money, so he's paid closer to 6% than 10, if 30 is the gross. I'm not sure what the gross is, quite honestly it doesn't matter. RR is paid on a national market, not in regard to what the U makes on FB.
Fine... So the University contributes 7% of revenues to pay his salary, which is >10% of them altogether; the point remains the same.

I am not singling out RR with that view on coaching salaries as a % of revenues; the amount that coaches are paid relative to the revenue they are responsible for generating is completely ridiculous.

It is because - to the constituency that coaches serve - there is an emotional investment in the product. Nothing in life is free; they all get paid more than they are worth, and have to deal with added scrutiny and criticism on a variety of fronts as a result; they also get ridiculous sums of money when they are terminated for poor performance. Don't expect me to shed a tear for any of them.
Fishclamps

Post by Fishclamps »

Harvey Specter wrote:
wyo-cat wrote:Harv, the U is on the hook for about 2 Mil of RR's money, so he's paid closer to 6% than 10, if 30 is the gross. I'm not sure what the gross is, quite honestly it doesn't matter. RR is paid on a national market, not in regard to what the U makes on FB.
Fine... So the University contributes 7% of revenues to pay his salary, which is >10% of them altogether; the point remains the same.

I am not singling out RR with that view on coaching salaries as a % of revenues; the amount that coaches are paid relative to the revenue they are responsible for generating is completely ridiculous.

It is because - to the constituency that coaches serve - there is an emotional investment in the product. Nothing in life is free; they all get paid more than they are worth, and have to deal with added scrutiny and criticism on a variety of fronts as a result; they also get ridiculous sums of money when they are terminated for poor performance. Don't expect me to shed a tear for any of them.
No one expects anyone to shed a tear over any FBS coaches salary. They get paid to do a job, and if they suck at it, they get fired. Apparently GB felt RR had fuck all for luck this year, and feels like he deserves another chance. Deal with it, save your hate for next season cause this one is done.

Couple people on here approaching Machina levels of disgust with our coach.
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

Fishclamps wrote:
Harvey Specter wrote:

No one expects anyone to shed a tear over any FBS coaches salary. They get paid to do a job, and if they suck at it, they get fired. Apparently GB felt RR had fuck all for luck this year, and feels like he deserves another chance. Deal with it, save your hate for next season cause this one is done.

Umm... machina is kneeling beside you worshipping Rich Rod. #BirdsOfAFeather

I don't think he deserves to get fired after this season, and have never even suggested it. Another season like this one, however...

Machina hates Miller, I love him. I judge coaches on what they actually (and consistently) accomplish.

Apples and oranges. My loyalty to RR dropped when it was confirmed he has none to us. But my judgment of his effectiveness is based on the numbers. He is what his record says he is IMO... But then again I am not a cuckold.
Fishclamps

Post by Fishclamps »

Harvey Specter wrote:
Fishclamps wrote:
Harvey Specter wrote:

I don't think he deserves to get fired after this season, and have never even suggested it. Another season like this one, however...

Machina hates Miller, I love him. I judge coaches on what they actually (and consistently) accomplish.

Apples and oranges. My loyalty to RR dropped when it was confirmed he has none to us. But my judgment of his effectiveness is based on the numbers. He is what his record says he is IMO... But then again I am not a cuckold.
So wait RR interviews with SC and on the way back decides he wants Arizona.

Miller interviews with Maryland and on the way back decides he wants Arizona.

One is an unloyal piece of shit, the other is the savior of Arizona sports?

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

I thought 8 wins (prior to bowl game) was goingto happen this year....but it looks worse than that to me for next year.
One of the worst defenses in all of FBS football against that schedule? Not good.
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

PieceOfMeat wrote:I thought 8 wins (prior to bowl game) was goingto happen this year....but it looks worse than that to me for next year.
One of the worst defenses in all of FBS football against that schedule? Not good.
It's an easier schedule than this year

MrMeow

Post by MrMeow »

Fishclamps wrote:
Harvey Specter wrote:
Fishclamps wrote:
Harvey Specter wrote:

So wait RR interviews with SC and on the way back decides he wants Arizona.

Miller interviews with Maryland and on the way back decides he wants Arizona.

One is an unloyal piece of shit, the other is the savior of Arizona sports?

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
Totally different circumstances, reasons, and places. Apples to oranges. You would do well to educate yourself before you further embarrass yourself.

Harv nailed it. Loyalty works both ways. For me, RR is now stuck with the Al Davis' prescription for longevity: "just win, baby".

I'll take it a step further. RR demonstrated very poor judgement with the SC dalliance. He effectively put all his chips on black in a game with poor odds. It's the "Hill Mary" that didn't work. Now, if he loses at UA he's likely gone. Perhaps he would have been gone anyway, but now, by his demonstration of disloyalty, he has raised the odds. RR, by his own actions, has put himself in a very poor position at a critical juncture of his coaching career. Considering his firing at Michigan, if GB fires him what does his future in coaching look like, and do you think GB now has more patience, or less? Oh sure, someone may hire him, but who, and at what pay? RR put all his chips on black, the fat paycheck, the fat loyalty payout, the fan adoration, and it came up red. Oh my! Considering his record at UA, his dismissal at Michigan, and the support UA has given him after rescuing him from the broadcasting booth, he would have been smart to clearly demonstrate unquestionable loyalty. Instead, he went fishing. Really dumb.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

What's really dumb is mrmeows butthurt posts.

UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Might need a new OC:

-JB
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

UAEebs86 wrote:Might need a new OC:

Or we could just keep 1 OC.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

That's going to be a tough loss, not so much as OC since RR handles that, but as QB coach. He has done amazing work in Tucson, and also Ann Arbor.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

-JB
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Might have cost us that 2017 QB recruit as I think they were really close
97cats

Post by 97cats »

14-0!
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

PieceOfMeat wrote:I thought 8 wins (prior to bowl game) was goingto happen this year....but it looks worse than that to me for next year.
I actually don't think it's that bad. We have to play some tough teams because there are tough teams in the Pac. That said, we have a lot of home games early, OSU and WSU are winnable road games against the North and we get ASU at home.

I mean, we have to play the South, so the LA schools and Utah are coming regardless. BYU is the only OOC game that is not a gimme.
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

Merkin wrote:That's going to be a tough loss, not so much as OC since RR handles that, but as QB coach. He has done amazing work in Tucson, and also Ann Arbor.
I agree he has done a great job in Tucson during his time here. Especially with Denker - and Scott, too.

I disagree on Ann Arbor; most here point to Shoelaces. He was an amazing athlete who made some great plays, but I thought he was (at best) a sub-standard BCS-level QB.
Fishclamps

Post by Fishclamps »

Harvey Specter wrote:
Merkin wrote:That's going to be a tough loss, not so much as OC since RR handles that, but as QB coach. He has done amazing work in Tucson, and also Ann Arbor.
I agree he has done a great job in Tucson during his time here. Especially with Denker - and Scott, too.

I disagree on Ann Arbor; most here point to Shoelaces. He was an amazing athlete who made some great plays, but I thought he was (at best) a sub-standard BCS-level QB.
To be fair, both Pat White and Denard Robinson are in the top 5 for rushing yards career by a qb. He did very good things with qbs that couldn't throw for shit. A qb can still be a very good FBS qb if they substitute their lack of passing ability with a rushing ability.

When you say especially with Denker, it's the same scenario with Robinson
MrMeow

Post by MrMeow »

Harvey Specter wrote:

Anu has been inconsistent, good at times, awful at others. He has good numbers partially due to RR's system, however, he has been nobody's idea of a polished QB. Is this on Anu, or is it on Smith, or a little of each?
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

I think Anu has been pretty good for a freshman as mostly hurt sophomore QB. has to be at about a 60% completion rate with about a 4 to 1 TD to INT ratio. That's pretty darn good at most schools.

If I had one complaint about his development it would be his stubbornness to commit to the read option and tote the rock himself. This has hurt our running game and has not allowed us to reach our full potential offensively
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Cayleb Jones tweeted yesterday that if his brother Isaiah stays another year at East Carolina (he's a junior) he will come back as well.
-JB
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

UAEebs86 wrote:Cayleb Jones tweeted yesterday that if his brother Isaiah stays another year at East Carolina (he's a junior) he will come back as well.
Ummm... that should have absolutely zero bearing on his decision to return or declare, but it's his decision and he can use whatever criteria he wants.

To each his own...
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Cayleb Jones going pro
-JB
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Did he tweet that or did his brother declare?